PDA

View Full Version : I would not rank Wilt in the top twenty of all-time players

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 12:18 AM
I just don't see it. If you put Wilt in the top twenty, you have to put Russell in the top twenty, given that he owned Wilt. I don't have Russell top twenty. To me, it's probably akin to listing Terry Cummings in the top twenty.

EDIT: My bad, mods. Thought I was already downstairs if you want to move the thread.....

spurraider21
09-02-2016, 12:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

TheGreatYacht
09-02-2016, 02:37 AM
OP loves to watch his wife get fucked by another guy

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 04:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

#FuckChumpDumper'sLeftoverShit

MVPCues
09-02-2016, 04:27 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/71464383.jpg

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 04:33 AM

Dude, if you're gonna make an "original" meme, then at least don't go full lame on me, bro.

SASdynasty!
09-02-2016, 06:11 AM
I just don't see it. If you put Wilt in the top twenty, you have to put Russell in the top twenty, given that he owned Wilt. I don't have Russell top twenty. To me, it's probably akin to listing Terry Cummings in the top twenty.

EDIT: My bad, mods. Thought I was already downstairs if you want to move the thread.....
This is almost as bad as your Parker takes.

bigfan
09-02-2016, 08:13 AM
You are an idiot.

rastaspur
09-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Retarded take. Please post on the a.r.c. forum and not spurstalk.

BillMc
09-02-2016, 12:36 PM
But Jimmer is.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-02-2016, 12:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvdsi6gLl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2U4JSrpO78

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 05:34 PM
This is almost as bad as your Parker takes.

Faggot.

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Dwight Howard would've been Wilt had he played in that era. Yea, "Superman."

Joseph Kony
09-02-2016, 05:40 PM

at least spell the name right tbh

FuzzyLumpkins
09-02-2016, 06:41 PM

This is stupid. Those Celtics teams had 5 HoF and they still went to elimination games against Wilt and teh scrubs. When Philly got Cunningham and Greer they beat the C's. Nevermind Wilt dominating the Russell matchup including 50 pt and 50 rebound games against the supposed greatest rebounder/defender.

Only one more overrated than Russell is Kareem.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-02-2016, 06:42 PM

More stupidity. Wilt was 3 inches taller, stronger, more athletic, and better skilled. Wilt could turn over either shoulder from either block and could shoot out to 15 feet. Bible Kemp has no offenive game beyond trying to jump over people and brick shots.

baseline bum
09-02-2016, 07:09 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/370/697/8f0.jpg

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 07:52 PM
This is stupid. Those Celtics teams had 5 HoF and they still went to elimination games against Wilt and teh scrubs. When Philly got Cunningham and Greer they beat the C's. Nevermind Wilt dominating the Russell matchup including 50 pt and 50 rebound games against the supposed greatest rebounder/defender.

Only one more overrated than Russell is Kareem.

They had 5 at least in part because Wilt, West, and Baylor choked their vagis off. And I see people putting all three of those guys in their top tens all the time.

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 07:56 PM
More stupidity. Wilt was 3 inches taller, stronger, more athletic, and better skilled. Wilt could turn over either shoulder from either block and could shoot out to 15 feet. Bible Kemp has no offenive game beyond trying to jump over people and brick shots.

Dwight would've pulled off 30 and 20 vs the midgets too.

wildbill2u
09-02-2016, 08:52 PM
It's one thing to not have any knowledge about a subject, but it is self-pawning stupidity to open your mouth or write a post that proves it to the whole world. In most discussions about the greatest basketball player ever to play the game, there are three or four names that come up and all have their supporters with good arguments. I've seen them all in person and Chamberlain is my top choice.

Mikeanaro
09-02-2016, 09:23 PM
If Wilt were 10 years younger and played for the Lakers with Magic and Worthy in that particular era instead of Jabby... could he have some rings? I mean that Wilt dude wasnt athletic at all...

Uriel
09-02-2016, 09:23 PM
I've heard some people say that, given the advancements in technology and nutrition, Wilt Chamberlain would be little more than a Roy Hibbert in today's NBA.

ElNono
09-02-2016, 09:56 PM
apasolic alt?

GSH
09-02-2016, 09:56 PM
OP plumbing new depths of dumbfuckery.

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 10:56 PM
It's one thing to not have any knowledge about a subject, but it is self-pawning stupidity to open your mouth or write a post that proves it to the whole world. In most discussions about the greatest basketball player ever to play the game, there are three or four names that come up and all have their supporters with good arguments. I've seen them all in person and Chamberlain is my top choice.

That's like calling Patrick Ewing Light GOAT, tbh. I guess you're doing that self-pawning stupidity thing.

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 10:57 PM
I've heard some people say that, given the advancements in technology and nutrition, Wilt Chamberlain would be little more than a Roy Hibbert in today's NBA.

I don't go that far. I see Wilt likely making some all-star teams in today's game. I just think people are romanticizing the past when they even include him in GOAT talk.

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 11:00 PM

He was too busy going full retard, tbh

FuzzyLumpkins
09-02-2016, 11:18 PM

there were only 8 teams in the league and they all had bigs like Russell, Bellamy, Lucas, Alcindor, Unseld, etc. There were less talented players in the pool but only 1/4 of the teams relative to the waterdown bullshit we see today.

Howard gets to play against Olanyk, Pachulia, Vucevic, Mozgov and Plumlee and he cannot manage that. Wishcasting is fun I guess.

Spurtacular
09-02-2016, 11:21 PM
there were only 8 teams in the league and they all had bigs like Russell, Bellamy, Lucas, Alcindor, Unseld, etc.

Russell is the best of that group on D, and he's like 6'9 and not supremely athletic. That should tell you something.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-02-2016, 11:24 PM
They had 5 at least in part because Wilt, West, and Baylor choked their vagis off. And I see people putting all three of those guys in their top tens all the time.

Wilt played against them only one year with the Lakers and the series went 7 games again. He averaged 25 rpg that series and shot 50% from the field. They ran their offense through West and Baylor. Baylor in particular was shitty that series. Nice revisionist history though.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Russell is the best of that group on D, and he's like 6'9 and not supremely athletic. That should tell you something.

Just when you think the Sputacular account cannot say anything more stupid he goes and tops it once again.

Spurtacular
09-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Just when you think the Sputacular account cannot say anything more stupid he goes and tops it once again.

You can hate on the truth all you want, FuzzyVagkins.

lefty
09-03-2016, 02:48 AM
Jordan destroys all of them tbh

FuzzyLumpkins
09-03-2016, 02:56 AM
You can hate on the truth all you want, FuzzyVagkins.

And merit is abandoned. Your surrender is noted.

MVPCues
09-03-2016, 06:23 AM

Well you got me I reckon. I committed a typo. OP must have committed about 500 of them to come up with what he did.

buttsR4rebounding
09-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Not to mention that Wilt led the league in assists one year as well.

Of course, if Wilt had access to the same he would have benefited as well.

cutewizard
09-03-2016, 10:30 AM
People should start reading the biography of Bill Russel.....

There is a passage there that goes something like this:

According to Mr. Bill Russell, there are certain times (certain times ......) that he enters a "flow state"....

When he is in this state, TIME SLOWS DOWN....

HE CAN ANTICIPATES MOVES OF BOTH TEAMS, AND EVEN INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS

AND HE DOES NOT CARE WHO WINS, AS LONG AS THE FLOW STATE IS PROLONGED.

He says, however, that because of this "flow state" or "trance state" his team usually wins.

What is this?

This is, at least a trance state, or perhaps the only VALID MYSTICAL EXPERIENCE BY A BASKETBALL PLAYER IN THIS EARTH!

----------------------------------------------

That is not something to belittle....

cutewizard
09-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Did Bobby Fischer achieve this statte? I wonder, ....Possibly, but we shall never know.....

Usain Bolt,...well he is fast....

The marathon champions, probably..but I have not read any documented evidence....

Martial Arts, probably a lot of them......the Aikido Master, Sensei Ueshiba certainly....

Probably the greatest swordmasters, too...

Monks of the Shaolin Temple? Possibly

BUT BILL RUSSELL IS THE ONLY BASKETBALL PLAYER EVER TO EXPERIENCE IT!!!

baseline bum
09-03-2016, 10:34 AM

Russell was unbelievably athletic. His jump was so quick a lot of his block shots he was able to tap straight up so he could grab the rebound.

MaNu4Tres
09-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Its not fair to compare players today with players from 30-50 years ago. Just like with everything else in life whether it be technology, fitness, health, ect -- the human evolves and improves in time.

Of course no old head will admit that, they'll be in denial and they'll be biased to their generation. But it's no different in athletics or basketball. Players today are far better than players from the 60's, 70's and 80's. They are more skilled, more athletic, better prepared, better conditioned, they train year round with up to date technology and up to date training methods. Put Bill Russel in the NBA today and he's a 3rd or 4th big on an average team, put Paul Milsap or David Lee in the NBA in the 60's and they'd probably be compared to the goat of PFs, Tim Duncan.

cutewizard
09-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Bring back Fischer, and he could compete with Carlsen for the World Chess Title..............

Meanwhile, in the domain or field called Mysticism, no human in the past, or the present seems to be able to match the record of Lord Plotinus of Alexandria! on record, seven-time satori achiever....

is it possible that in the domain of Mysticism, the human HAS NEVER EVOLVED?

A staggering thought......that means the Dark Polarity is actually winning......

cutewizard
09-03-2016, 11:38 AM
In Love and Peace....the human DOES NOT seem to be evolving?????

For the human DOES NOT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT WE ARE ALL BROTHERS AND SISTERS....my goodness....

wars and battles all over the Earth, which is the same in my native Philippines, by the way.....

The simplest thought: THAT WE ARE ALL BROTHERS AND SISTERS, CANNOT BE GRASPED?

In view of this, technology does not impress me.....pity.

We are riding like the wind into this horrible trap called TRANSHUMANISM.

Where is the Love man?????

J_Paco
09-03-2016, 12:26 PM

Whatever people you meet that make that claim are beyond stupid. Wilt was far, far superior to nearly every modern (last 6 years) center in conditioning, skill and strength. He would destroy a slow, plodding big man like Hibbert with his superior agility, athleticism and stamina.

They say the man was "ahead of his time" for a reason. He was likely the most physically gifted big man in NBA history, period.

The guy played entire game routinely in his career when the pace was much, much faster to today's game. And there were plenty of bruisers beating him up and trying to wear him down, nightly.

Wu36
09-03-2016, 12:29 PM
His floor would be Shaq in Orlando.

JuneJive
09-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Put Bill Russel in the NBA today and he's a 3rd or 4th big on an average team,

Wow. Just wow.

wildbill2u
09-03-2016, 02:49 PM
"According to Mr. Bill Russell, there are certain times (certain times ......) that he enters a "flow state"....When he is in this state, TIME SLOWS DOWN...."

There is a term for this: "psychetachia" is a state that is induced in a person, usually by emergencies such that the person perceives things to move in slow motion, often enabling the subject to make physical moves in reaction to the situation. It's thought that the brain receives sudden powerful jolts of adrenaline in the amygdala section of the brain that enables this phenomenon. Some people have reported seeing the ripple of a bullet coming at them, much like the vision of the hero in the Matrix series. Ted Williams claimed he could read the printing on the baseball as it came into the plate at 90 mph.

If you have ever experienced psychetachia, your memory of it and how you responded is something you cannot explain nor forget. Back in the day I raced sports cars at SCCA road tracks. I spun out a couple of times at speeds around 150 mph and it seemed to be in slow motion. I visually kept track of the car's spin and relationship to other cars and tried to manage the spin during those split seconds.

What's amazing is that Russell experienced the phenomenon for extended periods. On the other hand, we all have seen athletes do certain things in various sports which seem to defy the physics of time and space..

z0sa
09-03-2016, 03:18 PM
You obviously don't know shit about Wilt.

baseline bum
09-03-2016, 04:13 PM
I love the shit about Russell being 6'9" somehow means he wasn't a great bigman. Olajuwon was fucking 6'10".

skulls138
09-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Its not fair to compare players today with players from 30-50 years ago. Just like with everything else in life whether it be technology, fitness, health, ect -- the human evolves and improves in time.

Of course no old head will admit that, they'll be in denial and they'll be biased to their generation. But it's no different in athletics or basketball. Players today are far better than players from the 60's, 70's and 80's. They are more skilled, more athletic, better prepared, better conditioned, they train year round with up to date technology and up to date training methods. Put Bill Russel in the NBA today and he's a 3rd or 4th big on an average team, put Paul Milsap or David Lee in the NBA in the 60's and they'd probably be compared to the goat of PFs, Tim Duncan.Russell used to block shots to his teammates to run a fastbreak! Who does that today? Nobody because nobody would even consider that that was a possibility! Russell supposedly being inferior because of playing against inferior opponents shouldnt matter in this case because bigmen today or the near past play against equal talent so everything is equal....supposedly, but who has the foresight to block a shot and make sure the block starts a fastbreak? Russell was way more intense than any other player in NBA history. He used to vomit before every game out of nervousness. He was also an olympic high jumper

skulls138
09-03-2016, 05:03 PM

Of course no old head will admit that, they'll be in denial and they'll be biased to their generation. But it's no different in athletics or basketball. Players today are far better than players from the 60's, 70's and 80's. They are more skilled, more athletic, better prepared, better conditioned, they train year round with up to date technology and up to date training methods. Put Bill Russel in the NBA today and he's a 3rd or 4th big on an average team, put Paul Milsap or David Lee in the NBA in the 60's and they'd probably be compared to the goat of PFs, Tim Duncan.Russell used to block shots to his teammates to run a fastbreak! Who does that today? Nobody because nobody would even consider that that was a possibility! Russell supposedly being inferior because of playing against inferior opponents shouldnt matter in this case because bigmen today or the near past play against equal talent so everything is equal, but who has the foresight to block a shot and make sure the block starts a fastbreak? Another point, in 13 seasons Russell won 11 championships but he also won 2 college championships.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-03-2016, 06:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1379&v=zirehYtoxoI

MaNu4Tres
09-03-2016, 07:08 PM
I'd take prime Robinson over prime Wilt & Russell any day of the week. Players and athletes have improved over time.

Spurtacular
09-03-2016, 07:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1379&v=zirehYtoxoI

Horace Grant Plus

FuzzyLumpkins
09-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Horace Grant Plus

apalisoc minus

FuzzyLumpkins
09-03-2016, 09:00 PM
I'd take prime Robinson over prime Wilt & Russell any day of the week. Players and athletes have improved over time.

DRob was probably quicker but he wasn't stronger, faster, or as great a leaper as the Dipper. Wilt objectively ran in the 4.4s, benched over 500 lbs, squatted 700lbs, and could touch the top of the backboard in his prime.

He also had an infinitely more advanced post game than DRob, was a much better rebounder, and better shot blocker.

Spurtacular
09-03-2016, 10:32 PM
DRob was probably quicker but he wasn't stronger, faster, or as great a leaper as the Dipper. Wilt objectively ran in the 4.4s, benched over 500 lbs, squatted 700lbs, and could touch the top of the backboard in his prime.

He also had an infinitely more advanced post game than DRob, was a much better rebounder, and better shot blocker.

Yea, we're always hearing about these alleged benchmarks that Wilt could hit from the Wilt jockers; embellished rubbish. D-Rob was a superior athlete, tbh. He would've chewed up Horace Grant Plus.

dbestpro
09-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Wilt’s vertical leap was higher than Michael Jordan’s at 48”. The average height of a center in the 60's was 6'10". He ran a sub a 10 second 100 yard dash and also threw the shot put 56 feet, he triple jumped in excess of 50 feet and successfully won the Big 8 Conference high jumping competition three years in a row.

Howard not so much.

tmtcsc
09-03-2016, 10:54 PM

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this take? Is this like "suicide by cop" ? Are you just trying to get lit up with your outrageous opinion? Did you bother reviewing stats and or rule changes to the game when you came out with your statement? Eh, I'm not buying. Go sell crazy someplace else.

Spurtacular
09-03-2016, 11:22 PM
Wilt’s vertical leap was higher than Michael Jordan’s at 48”. The average height of a center in the 60's was 6'10". He ran a sub a 10 second 100 yard dash and also threw the shot put 56 feet, he triple jumped in excess of 50 feet and successfully won the Big 8 Conference high jumping competition three years in a row.

Howard not so much.

Of course he did. He was athletic ahead of his time. We're still talking about the fact that he wouldn't have been dominating bigger, stronger, faster athletes.

Spurtacular
09-03-2016, 11:24 PM
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this take? Is this like "suicide by cop" ? Are you just trying to get lit up with your outrageous opinion? Did you bother reviewing stats and or rule changes to the game when you came out with your statement? Eh, I'm not buying. Go sell crazy someplace else.

I'm destroying the misnomer that Wilt was that great, tbh. Wilt kind of sucked at basketball, tbh. His shot was sh**. He needed to be taller and faster than the competish to get within his 6 ft shooting range.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Yea, we're always hearing about these alleged benchmarks that Wilt could hit from the Wilt jockers; embellished rubbish. D-Rob was a superior athlete, tbh. He would've chewed up Horace Grant Plus.

There are multiple sources from people that worked out with him confirming it. Then we have random internet troll.

I'll let people decide for themselves.

SAGirl
09-04-2016, 01:37 AM
such a :sleep and attention whoring thread.

Spurtacular
09-04-2016, 02:13 AM
There are multiple sources from people that worked out with him confirming it. Then we have random internet troll.

I'll let people decide for themselves.

People romanticize their heroes. You can go downstairs and see plenty of people calling Kobe the next Michael Jordan if you need confirmation.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-04-2016, 03:29 AM
People romanticize their heroes. You can go downstairs and see plenty of people calling Kobe the next Michael Jordan if you need confirmation.

More stupidity. Romanticizing implies that the description is based on emotion or intuition. The Romantic evaluates based on what they feel. The people talking about Chamberlains athletic feats listed numbers like specific weights and times. His track accomplishments are a matter of public record and you can watch film to see how high he gets. The very opposite of romantic.

What is romantic is your approach which has nothing substantive behind it and instead emotional generalizations and characterizations like the above. Unfortunately yours is poor fiction.

cutewizard
09-04-2016, 03:49 AM
Whatever people you meet that make that claim are beyond stupid. Wilt was far, far superior to nearly every modern (last 6 years) center in conditioning, skill and strength. He would destroy a slow, plodding big man like Hibbert with his superior agility, athleticism and stamina.

They say the man was "ahead of his time" for a reason. He was likely the most physically gifted big man in NBA history, period.

The guy played entire game routinely in his career when the pace was much, much faster to today's game. And there were plenty of bruisers beating him up and trying to wear him down, nightly.

----------------------------------------------------

This! Kudos man! :toast

skulls138
09-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Theres a video of Wilt shaking Shaqs hand and he almost dwarfs Shaq and Shaq gives a look like Wilt is crushing his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU43dTuMuig

Spur-Addict
09-04-2016, 10:53 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/370/697/8f0.jpg

:lol

cutewizard
09-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Theres a video of Wilt shaking Shaqs hand and he almost dwarfs Shaq and Shaq gives a look like Wilt is crushing his hand.

-----------------------------------

Priceless

cutewizard
09-04-2016, 11:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvdsi6gLl8

Physically, numero uno..........no one is even close, cmon..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94iJr8ZbzM

Physically, the strongest ever. End of story. End of discussion. lol

cutewizard
09-04-2016, 11:54 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaq was silently "STUNNED!"

That is all she wrote.

lol

cutewizard
09-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Wilt Chamberlain is beyond human, by gawd!

cutewizard
09-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Wilt was also good in other forms of sports, he was an all-round athlete.....

MJ sucked in baseball. That pretty much sums it all. Let's move on, hehehehe

cutewizard
09-04-2016, 12:03 PM
My new First Five All Time is:

Chamberlain at center, Duncan and Leonard at forwards,

Manu and Lebron at guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aw!!!!!!!!!!!! Wo hohohohohohohohohoho!!!!!!!!!

SPURt
09-04-2016, 12:08 PM
It's a little one sided to assume Wilt would struggle in today's NBA due to the nutrition, technology, and rule changes that benefit today's players. Wilt and Bill were great not because of their size but because of their competitiveness. Putting Wilt in today's NBA would drive him to change his game and fit the current NBA. The lane would be more open for him, he'd recover physically faster, be physically stronger, and able to get more info on his opponents tendencies. On top of all that, he wouldn't get beat up near as much in today's powder puff NBA. Wilt was born to be a basketball player it doesn't matter the decade, there would be a place for him.

At the same time, their stats wouldn't look nearly as inflated. There's no way Wilt scores 100 on 2's alone. The next person, if it ever happens, to break 100 will need to supplement their game with a healthy amount of three pointers. Where Wilt and Bill belong on a list of all time greats is probably the most controversial topic as far as top 5 player arguements go due to the stats they put up. I know one thing, I'd like prime either of them on the Spurs.

Spurtacular
09-04-2016, 03:14 PM
More stupidity. Romanticizing implies that the description is based on emotion or intuition. The Romantic evaluates based on what they feel. The people talking about Chamberlains athletic feats listed numbers like specific weights and times. His track accomplishments are a matter of public record and you can watch film to see how high he gets. The very opposite of romantic.

What is romantic is your approach which has nothing substantive behind it and instead emotional generalizations and characterizations like the above. Unfortunately yours is poor fiction.

The sources I've seen tend to be rather obscure. At any rate, being a good track and field guy does not automatically make one great at basketball. Usain Bolt is not Michael Jordan. And my contention has never been that Wilt was not an athlete. My contention has been that his basketball game was far too limited and his athleticness exaggerated to be an all time great. You have not disproved that in any capacity.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-05-2016, 01:05 AM
The sources I've seen tend to be rather obscure. At any rate, being a good track and field guy does not automatically make one great at basketball. Usain Bolt is not Michael Jordan. And my contention has never been that Wilt was not an athlete. My contention has been that his basketball game was far too limited and his athleticness exaggerated to be an all time great. You have not disproved that in any capacity.

Your arguments are not presumed. You're also all alone on this.

You don't believe it and no one cares.

lefty
09-05-2016, 01:47 AM
Damn Clyde Drexler really had a shit team in Portland :lol

Didnt have a Pippen and was denied a healthy prime Sabonis

And Horace Grant was better than Buck Williams and Duckworth combined tbh

SPURt
09-05-2016, 09:57 AM

And Horace Grant was better than Buck Williams and Duckworth combined tbh

Clyde did carry some weight in Portland:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmVZ5vnUJXOuTugMCGH1wUHxIqo0yoN ZB-LmHSy7i3-Wh-l5o0

Spurtacular
09-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Your arguments are not presumed. You're also all alone on this.

You don't believe it and no one cares.

Wipe the tears out of your eyes; you're not even making sense.

wildbill2u
09-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Bill Russell, speaking to USA Today at the time of Chamberlain's death (quoted in Jet ), "I'm one of the guys who think Wilt was so good that people don't even known how good he was. I remember sitting at home, getting ready to play him one night, and thinking, 'another night in hell.'"

Spurtaclular: "I'm destroying the misnomer that Wilt was that great, tbh. Wilt kind of sucked at basketball, tbh."

Delusions of grandeur aren't pretty to watch.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Wipe the tears out of your eyes; you're not even making sense.

If you don't know what presumption means or the significance that no one cares that you are incredulous then that is your problem. That you need to attribute an emotional response to me is a poor deflection.

You're grasping which tells me you have nothing. People are now coming in and taking pot shots at you. Your father would be proud.

Spurtacular
09-05-2016, 09:51 PM
If you don't know what presumption means or the significance that no one cares that you are incredulous then that is your problem. That you need to attribute an emotional response to me is a poor deflection.

You're grasping which tells me you have nothing. People are now coming in and taking pot shots at you. Your father would be proud.

Who says I don't know what presumption means? That would be your presumption. Pretty sure you're grasping now. Why would I care that people aka trolls are taking shots at me? That's your fucking logic?

Spurtacular
09-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Bill Russell, speaking to USA Today at the time of Chamberlain's death (quoted in Jet ), "I'm one of the guys who think Wilt was so good that people don't even known how good he was. I remember sitting at home, getting ready to play him one night, and thinking, 'another night in hell.'"

You realize that Bill Russell's bottom line is literally predicated upon the idea that Wilt is an all-time great, right? Or do you just not consider these things?

Sean Cagney
09-05-2016, 09:53 PM

And Horace Grant was better than Buck Williams and Duckworth combined tbhHe had some decent role players and Cliff Robinson was good but damn you are right overall. I am shocked he lead them to the finals a few times TBH, win or lose.

Spurtacular
09-05-2016, 09:54 PM
He had some decent role players and Cliff Robinson was good but damn you are right overall. I am shocked he lead them to the finals a few times TBH, win or lose.

Dude, the early 90's Blazers were damn good. They realistically should've rang two or three times.

lefty
09-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Dude, the early 90's Blazers were damn good. They realistically should've rang two or three times.

Clyde had a few good teammates but none of them was superstar material

Mike had Pippen, Magic Karem and Worthy, etc etc

Ultimately Clyde won a title with Prime Hakeem (who actually won the title the previous season without another superstar, but that rarely happens).

Fuck politics, Clyde should have had a young and healthy Sabonis, Portland would have absolutely raped the rest of the NBA.

Ewing is another player who carried the Knicks. I love Oakley and Stark had heart, but let's be honest, Prime Ewing was surrounded by role players.
That "choker" moniker was not deserved

FuzzyLumpkins
09-05-2016, 11:37 PM
Who says I don't know what presumption means? That would be your presumption. Pretty sure you're grasping now. Why would I care that people aka trolls are taking shots at me? That's your fucking logic?

Because you said I was unintelligible. I presumed that you had difficult with more complex concepts. Perhaps I set the bar too high.

You are all alone in your take. You are still deflecting and abandoning arguments as soon as you make them.

Spurtacular
09-05-2016, 11:57 PM
Clyde had a few good teammates but none of them was superstar material

Mike had Pippen, Magic Karem and Worthy, etc etc

Ultimately Clyde won a title with Prime Hakeem (who actually won the title the previous season without another superstar, but that rarely happens).

Fuck politics, Clyde should have had a young and healthy Sabonis, Portland would have absolutely raped the rest of the NBA.

Ewing is another player who carried the Knicks. I love Oakley and Stark had heart, but let's be honest, Prime Ewing was surrounded by role players.

Eh, I don't disagree totally. Though, the idea that it is a "(two) superstar league" is what Stern/Silver want you to believe. The reality is they give them just enough calls / non-calls to beat anyone, most times. However, complete teams have a way of f'ing it up sometimes. The Spurs/Pistons was Stern's nightmare come to life. The 90's Blazers were the deepest team in the league. And of course, I can go year by year and show how in most cases the deepest team didn't win though. Hell, 05, 97 may be the only times in a two decade span that that happened.

Spurtacular
09-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Because you said I was unintelligible. I presumed that you had difficult with more complex concepts. Perhaps I set the bar too high.

You are all alone in your take. You are still deflecting and abandoning arguments as soon as you make them.

You're talking in retarded circles, dude. I've abandoned nothing.

Sean Cagney
09-06-2016, 02:54 AM
DP

Sean Cagney
09-06-2016, 02:56 AM

Okay Terry Porter was there, Cliff Robinson, Duckworth and a few other pieces. The team was okay but he had no superstar next to him although Cliff Robinson was an all star a few years. The team was good but not great. They ran into the wrong teams in the finals unfortunately in Detroit and CHI and didn't have a chance at a ring.

Looking at the Roster though they were pretty balanced overall and had depth. They were a good team looking back, not great but very solid.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/POR/1991.html

Obstructed_View
09-06-2016, 12:23 PM
The rest of the world is playing checkers, while Spurtacular is playing with himself.

dbestpro
09-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Of course he did. He was athletic ahead of his time. We're still talking about the fact that he wouldn't have been dominating bigger, stronger, faster athletes.

There has never been an athlete that is bigger, stronger, and faster than Wilt in all three phases.

Spurtacular
09-07-2016, 03:55 AM
There has never been an athlete that is bigger, stronger, and faster than Wilt in all three phases.

Like I said, Dwight Howard would've been Wilt if he came five decades sooner.

http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1002/rare.wilt.chamberlain.photos/images/0.wilt-chamberlain.3.jpg

http://compartirpasion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Lakers_Chamberlain_1.jpg

Maddog
09-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Of course no old head will admit that, they'll be in denial and they'll be biased to their generation. But it's no different in athletics or basketball. Players today are far better than players from the 60's, 70's and 80's. They are more skilled, more athletic, better prepared, better conditioned, they train year round with up to date technology and up to date training methods. Put Bill Russel in the NBA today and he's a 3rd or 4th big on an average team, put Paul Milsap or David Lee in the NBA in the 60's and they'd probably be compared to the goat of PFs, Tim Duncan.

6'9" maybe 6'10 in shoes 7'4" wingspan
Great athlete
Good motor and anticipation on defense.
Offense- no range outside the paint. Poor free throw shooter.

OK, where do you draft this guy today?

It's really hard to compare yesterday with today as MaNu4Tres has pointed out. If you magically transported prime Russell to the present he would struggle as a NBA player.
The year Wilt averaged 50 and Oscar a triple double- the Celtics won the NBA with roster that had only 3 players taller than 6'5". The Warriors small ball lineup of death would have out sized them.
If he grew up with today's resouces would he adjust? Who knows?

dbestpro
09-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Like I said, Dwight Howard would've been Wilt if he came five decades sooner.

Howard's vertical jump is 39.5 inches. Chamberlain's was 48 inches. Not even close.

Kool Bob Love
09-07-2016, 09:44 PM

:rollin

Spurtacular
09-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Howard's vertical jump is 39.5 inches. Chamberlain's was 48 inches. Not even close.

Wasn't Dwight dunking on 12'9" rims or something like that in the dunk contest? Nice try, bro.

baseline bum
09-07-2016, 09:46 PM

LOL Ewing is one of the most overrated players of all time. LOL shooting 36% in the Finals not being a choke. LOL him being so important that they made the Finals again after he got hurt (while missing yet another gamewinning shot).

skulls138
09-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Knicks were a great defensive team.

Spurtacular
09-07-2016, 11:58 PM
LOL Ewing is one of the most overrated players of all time. LOL shooting 36% in the Finals not being a choke. LOL him being so important that they made the Finals again after he got hurt (while missing yet another gamewinning shot).

Yea, he's one of the chokers that made MJ bigger than he should've been.

Spurtacular
09-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Knicks were a great defensive team.

Indeed. Stern changed the rules b/c they were too physical for the Bulls.

lefty
09-08-2016, 02:01 AM
MJ shot like 40% in the 96 Finals tbh

lefty
09-08-2016, 02:02 AM
And in 99 the NYK had a much better roster than in 94.

Lol BB

Ginobili3
09-08-2016, 02:13 AM
:lmao

baseline bum
09-08-2016, 06:41 AM
And in 99 the NYK had a much better roster than in 94.

Lol BB

LOL Allan Houston being way more clutch than Ewing

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Wilt was an amazing athlete by any standard, and completely dominant in his era. I would say that, to be fair to Wilt, if you put him in today's NBA you'd also have to give him the benefit of all of the training, supplements, and advances available to today's athlete. His physical tools would have been enhanced beyond what we saw in his era. He took great care of his body at a time that a lot of athletes didn't. I imagine that if he would have had the resources available to him that are here today that he would have been dominant in today's game as well. Maybe not averaging 50 and 30 for an entire season, but he would have been a force...better than Dwight.

09-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Wilt was an amazing athlete by any standard, and completely dominant in his era. I would say that, to be fair to Wilt, if you put him in today's NBA you'd also have to give him the benefit of all of the training, supplements, and advances available to today's athlete. His physical tools would have been enhanced beyond what we saw in his era. He took great care of his body at a time that a lot of athletes didn't. I imagine that if he would have had the resources available to him that are here today that he would have been dominant in today's game as well. Maybe not averaging 50 and 30 for an entire season, but he would have been a force...better than Dwight.
:lol

cutewizard
09-10-2016, 09:39 PM

:bobo

:claw

Phenomanul
09-11-2016, 12:24 AM

Wilt would probably still average over 30 PPG (at over 60 FG%), over 14 RPG, and north of 2.5 BPG. His free throw % would remain his only weak point.

Phenomanul
09-11-2016, 12:58 AM
My All-Time Top Ten

Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Tim Duncan
Lebron James
Larry Bird
Oscar Robertson
Bill Russell
Hakeem Olajuwon

Next 10

Julius Erving
Moses Malone
David Robinson
Shaquille O'Neal
Elgin Baylor
Jerry West
Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitzki
Karl Malone (ewww)
John Havlicek

Next 10

Charles Barkley
Bob Pettit
Chris Paul
Scottie Pippen
John Stockton
George Gervin
Elvin Hayes
Dominique Wilkins
Kevin McHale
Dwayne Wade

Next 10

Steph Curry (gulp)
Pete Maravich
Kevin Durant
Rick Barry
Clyde Drexler
Willis Reed
George Mikan
Isaiah Thomas
James Worthy
Kevin Garnett

Next 10

Walt Frazier
Jason Kidd
Patrick Ewing
Bob Cousy
Robert Parish
Allen Iverson
Bill Walton
Hal Greer
Dave Bing
Bernard King

Spurtacular
09-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Wilt would probably still average over 30 PPG (at over 60 FG%), over 14 RPG, and north of 2.5 BPG. His free throw % would remain his only weak point.

Dwight maxed out at 22.9. and 14.1. So, probably something in that range.

Phenomanul
09-11-2016, 01:00 AM
Dwight maxed out at 22.9. and 14.1. So, probably something in that range.

Except Wilt would have done that for at least 10 seasons. :wow :wow :wow

Spurtacular
09-11-2016, 01:14 AM
Except Wilt would have done that for at least 10 seasons. :wow :wow :wow

I doubt it. He hit his downhill at age 30 even playing against the inferior competish and taking less beatings.

LittleCriminal
09-11-2016, 02:42 AM
My top two position wise..
Magic/Iverson
Jordan/Manu
Pippen/Bird
Duncan/Barkley
Wilt/Shaq

ElNono
09-11-2016, 02:44 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2r60c9l.gif

Mikeanaro
09-11-2016, 03:09 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2r60c9l.gif

:lol Its like, WHY ARE YOU SAYIN´THAT DAWG?

Brazil
09-12-2016, 10:17 AM

stupid

stupid

stupid

stupid

I don't go that far. I see Wilt likely making some all-star teams in today's game. I just think people are romanticizing the past when they even include him in GOAT talk.

stupid

etc etc etc

Spurtacular
09-12-2016, 12:32 PM
stupid

stupid

stupid

stupid

stupid

etc etc etc

The truthbomb hits some people hard. People talk about Wilt's alleged athletic prowess / size ; yet he can't do sh** when he's not six feet or more from the hoop.

Brazil
09-12-2016, 03:47 PM
The truthbomb hits some people hard. People talk about Wilt's alleged athletic prowess / size ; yet he can't do sh** when he's not six feet or more from the hoop.

:lol trouff bombs
:lol comparing Russel with Howard
:lol not understanding that you cannot just say take Russel in today's bb and say dude would suck

:lol stupid

Spurtacular
09-12-2016, 05:08 PM
:lol trouff bombs
:lol comparing Russel with Howard
:lol not understanding that you cannot just say take Russel in today's bb and say dude would suck

:lol stupid

Russell'd be better than say Tristan Thompson. Would he still be a "great"?

Brazil
09-13-2016, 10:16 AM

you are dumb or bad troller... either you kinda pathetic

your comment is equivalent as saying Carl Lewis is not an all time great because jimmy vicaut dead last in rio 100 m run as fast as him (9´86 for those who wonder) and he is still not at his peak

all around stupidity

Phenomanul
09-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Russell's basketball IQ on the defensive end is light years ahead of both Howard or Thompson... so your comparisons both just suck.

Spurtacular
09-13-2016, 01:43 PM
you are dumb or bad troller... either you kinda pathetic

your comment is equivalent as saying Carl Lewis is not an all time great because jimmy vicaut dead last in rio 100 m run as fast as him (9´86 for those who wonder) and he is still not at his peak

all around stupidity

Your rage is sad; and your analogy is just awkward and not applicable. I asked who you'd compare Russell to to in the modern era. I gave you a Tristan Thompson plus, which is still arguably an all-star. I don't know why that's supposed to be trolling.

Spurtacular
09-13-2016, 01:44 PM
Russell's basketball IQ on the defensive end is light years ahead of both Howard or Thompson... so your comparisons both just suck.

If Thompson had played with midgets we'd probably be talking about his alleged basketball IQ also.

skulls138
09-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Wilt was and still is the most physically gifted athlete to play any American professional team sport. He makes Shaq look small. Schwarzenegger attested to Wilts weight lifting ability being better than his on the set of Conan the Barbarian. And when you include his unbelievable numbers you can see he knows how to play b-ball too. Dwight cant play b-ball as much as he is athletic and strong and is way smaller than Wilt.

Also not taken into account is that yes, modern medicine has made athletes stronger and faster but on the downside, fundamentals have decreased so that balances things out.

As for Russell having more success, he is more of a team player. In the championship against Wilt, Jerry West and Elgin Baylors Laker team a team that had the more talent, Russell said that they are going to run their asses off because that will make the game "less about talent and more about will". That tells you how much more of a team player and thinker Russell was. Wilts teams in Philly never touched the ball, thats why Russell got the upper hand. You never knew how good Wilts teammates were.

Brazil
09-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Your rage is sad; and your analogy is just awkward and not applicable. I asked who you'd compare Russell to to in the modern era. I gave you a Tristan Thompson plus, which is still arguably an all-star. I don't know why that's supposed to be trolling.

My analogy is perfectly fine and totally applicable.... who you'd compare Carl Lewis in modern era ? Jimmy Vicaut ? :lol dumb

baseline bum
09-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Russell would be a better Ben Wallace defensively with Kevin Love's outlet passing to start breaks in today's NBA. So no I don't think he'd quite be a franchise player but I think he would be a perennial allstar and DPOY winner. He had good size, he was an amazing athlete, and he was a real student of the game like Rodman but minus the cancerous attitude. Any NBA GM would give his left nut for a player and leader like Russell. I know I'd take him over Gasol in a second, I think the 2017 Spurs would have an amazing shot to win a title with him at the five.

Spurtacular
09-13-2016, 06:45 PM
My analogy is perfectly fine and totally applicable.... who you'd compare Carl Lewis in modern era ? Jimmy Vicaut ? :lol dumb

Yes, I would. Because that's an easy metric to be defined. Carl Lewis was GOHT (Greatest of his time). But GOAT stands for Greatest of All-Time. Keep your "Dumb" and put it on a sticker for your shirt.

Spurtacular
09-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Russell would be a better Ben Wallace defensively with Kevin Love's outlet passing to start breaks in today's NBA. So no I don't think he'd quite be a franchise player but I think he would be a perennial allstar and DPOY winner. He had good size, he was an amazing athlete, and he was a real student of the game like Rodman but minus the cancerous attitude. Any NBA GM would give his left nut for a player and leader like Russell. I know I'd take him over Gasol in a second, I think the 2017 Spurs would have an amazing shot to win a title with him at the five.

I can see that.

Tully365
09-13-2016, 08:43 PM

You could not be more wrong. Russell, in addition to leading his college team to two NCAA championships, also competed for their Track & Field team. He ran the 440 and was a high jumper. Track & Field News ranked him as the seventh-best high jumper in the world in 1956. He was supremely athletic.

Spurtacular
09-13-2016, 09:20 PM
You could not be more wrong. Russell, in addition to leading his college team to two NCAA championships, also competed for their Track & Field team. He ran the 440 and was a high jumper. Track & Field News ranked him as the seventh-best high jumper in the world in 1956. He was supremely athletic.

The 7th best high jumper in 1956 is probably like the 408th best high jumper in 2017. Also, seventh best only when he was possibly the tallest of the lot?

tonight...you
09-13-2016, 10:19 PM
apasolic alt?
Yup. Called it.

Spurtacular
09-13-2016, 11:14 PM
apasolic alt?

Yup. Called it.

I ain't even gonna blame you for thinking that. One to three posters have about 50-100 alts; and that's on ST, tbh. But I ain't one for what it's worth.

Brazil
09-14-2016, 07:26 AM
Yes, I would. Because that's an easy metric to be defined. Carl Lewis was GOHT (Greatest of his time). But GOAT stands for Greatest of All-Time. Keep your "Dumb" and put it on a sticker for your shirt.

yeah so Russel was greatest of his time, MJ of his time... MJ would be I guess an above average SG nowadays or some shit... your statement just contradicts your OP. List your top 20 of nowadays and each era then dumb fuck

Spurtacular
09-14-2016, 01:56 PM
yeah so Russel was greatest of his time, MJ of his time... MJ would be I guess an above average SG nowadays or some shit... your statement just contradicts your OP. List your top 20 of nowadays and each era then dumb fuck

:lmao: Please tell me you're just desperate and that you actually don't ascribe to such egregious leaps in logic.

Brazil
09-14-2016, 02:01 PM
:lmao: Please tell me you're just desperate and that you actually don't ascribe to such egregious leaps in logic.

dat pathetic come back :lmao

:lol Carl Lewis would not beat Vicaut so he is not an all time great

Spurtacular
09-14-2016, 02:08 PM
dat pathetic come back :lmao

Not a comeback, tbh. Simply a response. Many would argue that 90's players are better than the players of today; in any event, those particular eras are not night and day. Nor could you point to an individual player that surpasses Jordan unless you're a Lebron slurper.

:lol Carl Lewis would not beat Vicaut so he is not an all time great

Assuming the data you're relaying is right, then that is correct. I think you should learn the basic definition of Greatest Of All-Time.

Tully365
09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
The 7th best high jumper in 1956 is probably like the 408th best high jumper in 2017. Also, seventh best only when he was possibly the tallest of the lot?

You can't possibly argue that the 7th best high jumper and best college basketball player in the world was "not athletic." Would you also say that Jesse Owens was unathletic because his four Olympic Gold medal times wouldn't win medals today? That's a pretty silly way of looking at it.

Brazil
09-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Assuming the data you're relaying is right, then that is correct. I think you should learn the basic definition of Greatest Of All-Time.

I invite to do the same.

Your thread is stupid, your arguments are stupid, everything you write is stupid. pain and simple

I let yoy with your take about Vicaut being higher than Carl Lewis in your greatest of all time list

let us proceed... i waste enough of my time

Spurtacular
09-14-2016, 09:04 PM
You can't possibly argue that the 7th best high jumper and best college basketball player in the world was "not athletic." Would you also say that Jesse Owens was unathletic because his four Olympic Gold medal times wouldn't win medals today? That's a pretty silly way of looking at it.

I'm not arguing that, though. Russell was athletic in his time and would certainly be considered athletic in our time as well. Would he remain dominant is the question? I wouldn't think so. I stop short of ruling it out is all. And I would call Jessie Owens not especially impressive or "GOAT" based on today's standards. That's exactly what I'm saying. Nor would I call Jim Brown GOAT when I don't know that he'd even be a top ten RB in today's game. I think it's "silly" to believe in machinations of glory.

Spurtacular
09-14-2016, 09:08 PM
I invite to do the same.

Your thread is stupid, your arguments are stupid, everything you write is stupid. pain and simple

let us proceed... i waste enough of my time

Havin' a good cry, bro?

I let yoy with your take about Vicaut being higher than Carl Lewis in your greatest of all time list

Well, at least when it comes to the 400M. If I recall correctly, he's the guy that broke the record. What he did is ultimately greater in a very measurable way. If you want to make the argument of medical science, not having the same advantages, etc, then I guess you could. But I just look at it what level they reached regardless of era.

Tully365
09-18-2016, 05:39 AM
I'm not arguing that, though. Russell was athletic in his time and would certainly be considered athletic in our time as well.

That's exactly what you were arguing earlier.

Spurtacular
09-18-2016, 01:11 PM
That's exactly what you were arguing earlier.

So, in your mind there's not a difference between athletic and supremely athletic?

Spurtacular
09-18-2016, 01:13 PM
Dwight Howard was a Top 40 pick (41 technically) in 2011 before he was exposed in LA and Houston. Wilt would've been exposed in modern times, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BofOXnyQWZk