PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Carl Landry

MaNu4Tres
09-03-2016, 10:28 AM
http://www.thescore.com/news/1092273

As I've touched on in multiple threads -- Forbes, Arci, Garino and now Lapro all were signed to training camp/sweetened D-League deals. It's been wise for Spurs to leave that 15th spot open in hopes of a buy out of a player like Landry.

Seems like he's been underrated for most of his career.

He'd be a solid 4th-5th big in the rotation and he'd compete with Lee & Anderson for minutes at the PF.

Even though he's similar player to David West -- if he chooses to come to SA, I wouldn't mind.

cutewizard
09-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Can he rebound?? lol

Robz4000
09-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Not interested.

Chinook
09-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Would be a fantastic fourth big over Lee.

sananspursfan21
09-03-2016, 11:17 AM
He's not bad. I always kinda Spurs-lusted over him when he was in Houston and Sactown. Wish he was younger but he's got a solid all around game. I always signed him in franchise mode on 2k when he was available haha

mookie2001
09-03-2016, 11:44 AM
No way

benefactor
09-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Agreed

jermaine
09-03-2016, 11:55 AM
3yrs ago..... Yes!!! Now.... not so much.

ace3g
09-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Darren Wolfson Verified account ‏@DWolfsonKSTP (https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP) Darren Wolfson Retweeted Andy Bailey
Agree that he'll help someone. Hear Rockets, Spurs, Lakers, Pacers among those interested. No #Twolves (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Twolves?src=hash), as of now.

Solid D
09-03-2016, 01:04 PM

I might disagree with you based upon overall effectiveness. I like Landry's rebounding, defense for his size, and scoring savvy but for my money, Lee is a better all-around offensive player - scoring, rebounding, and assists.

keeferob25
09-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Wanted him BADLY when he was on the Rockets, but I'm not big on him now, naturally. But for the right price I guess it couldn't hurt.

spurs10
09-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I might disagree with you based upon overall effectiveness. I like Landry's rebounding, defense for his size, and scoring savvy but for my money, Lee is a better all-around offensive player - scoring, rebounding, and assists. Sounds like a good problem to have- having both. If Dedmon can be a reliable back-up to Pau. Having Lee and Landry sounds like some depth to me.

Chinook
09-03-2016, 03:02 PM
I might disagree with you based upon overall effectiveness. I like Landry's rebounding, defense for his size, and scoring savvy but for my money, Lee is a better all-around offensive player - scoring, rebounding, and assists.

But Lee is a center nowadays, whereas Landry can still play PF. Lee only really fits next to LMA, but Landry can play with anyone. I'd pick Lee over Landry as a fifth big, but for the rotation, more range is needed.

Solid D
09-03-2016, 03:15 PM
But Lee is a center nowadays, whereas Landry can still play PF. Lee only really fits next to LMA, but Landry can play with anyone. I'd pick Lee over Landry as a fifth big, but for the rotation, more range is needed.

Maybe, but I don't see it that way. As long as Lee can set up in the high or low post, screen, and hit mid-range, he's fine as a 4 or 5 in the Spurs' offense. Defensively, David is just so-so defending 5s as well as more mobile 4s. As long as he can learn the team defensive rotations, he won't hurt them too much. D West struggled with picking that up, so not everyone is a quick study on the Spurs' rules. I do like Landry, though, if he is truly being considered by the Spurs.

wildbill2u
09-03-2016, 03:22 PM
With the signings of all those medium size guards and SFs, you have to wonder if the Spurs braintrust has decided to go more smallball next year. So do we need a lot more depth at front line?

?

spurs10
09-03-2016, 04:05 PM
With the signings of all those medium size guards and SFs, you have to wonder if the Spurs braintrust has decided to go more smallball next year. So do we need a lot more depth at front line?

? I think they do and I'd like to think they aren't going to go heavy with the small ball minutes with it looking like we might have a front line to be reckoned with. For me it's always a the story of making our foes match up with us sometimes. I'm thinking they don't want a repeat of what happened against OKC....we never even made to GSW.

SAGirl
09-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Maybe, but I don't see it that way. As long as Lee can set up in the high or low post, screen, and hit mid-range, he's fine as a 4 or 5 in the Spurs' offense. Defensively, David is just so-so defending 5s as well as more mobile 4s. As long as he can learn the team defensive rotations, he won't hurt them too much. D West struggled with picking that up, so not everyone is a quick study on the Spurs' rules. I do like Landry, though, if he is truly being considered by the Spurs.
He doesn't hit the midrange that's the problem. Just doesn't. I think he only took something like 15 shots from that area all season? Yea Lee midrange ain't happening. You might as well ask that if Livio. (I m not exaggerating so much either).

TD 21
09-03-2016, 05:06 PM

Landry is a solid offensive rebounder, but a terrible defensive one and a sub par overall defender.

In a vacuum, I'd have preferred him to Lee, if only because his superior range would have made for a cleaner fit on the bench. But with Lee in tow, I'd pass. Trying to keep one of these types from complaining about their role is enough.

I'd also rather keep a spot open for flexibility purposes, since this is a roster that could potentially use one more of a variety of things.

Lee is neither a power forward or a center, he's a power forward (defensively) and a center (offensively).

Depending on the match-up, he can fit next to Gasol, too.

Landry would be a poor fit next to Aldridge primarily because of the lack of a roll man.

Kawhitstorm
09-03-2016, 11:27 PM

If you think Lee playing center is a good idea then might as well open up a layup line when he's the last line of defense.:lol (I'm assuming that you aren't suggesting that LMA play center while Pau/Dedmon play together)

Mirotic started alongside Pau so Lee shouldn't be any worse against backups w/ Pau protecting the rim.

Kawhitstorm
09-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Landry is a solid offensive rebounder, but a terrible defensive one and a sub par overall defender.

Landry is essentially a more athletic but much inferior team defender version of D-Worst.:lol

callo1
09-04-2016, 12:58 AM
He had many good games against the Spurs. Not a bad pick up if he can still board and play.

ace3g
09-04-2016, 09:06 AM

gambit1990
09-04-2016, 12:31 PM
would take thomas robinson over him.

SAGirl
09-04-2016, 04:50 PM
would take thomas robinson over him.
Ain't happening. Dude has serious ego issues and was a pariah for the Nets who didn't resign him and still remains out there bc no one wants his ego coupled with his lack of skill.

8FOR!3
09-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Landry seems redundant of Lee. Don't think he couldn't help the team, it's just idk if I want him to have a roster spot over one of the young guys.

spurs10
09-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Ain't happening. Dude has serious ego issues and was a pariah for the Nets who didn't resign him and still remains out there bc no one wants his ego coupled with his lack of skill. Sounds like he's noh......'not over himself.' :pop:

SAGirl
09-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Landry seems redundant of Lee. Don't think he couldn't help the team, it's just idk if I want him to have a roster spot over one of the young guys.
Agreed. It's hard to say if that rumor is even true. Like TD 21 said it's already going to be tough to keep Lee happy bc Pop will undoubtedly give minutes to his younger players during the season and experiment anyways. Adding another veteran would affect Lee the most and make it even more complicated for him to get minutes bc the younger players will get the same dleague, garbage time and strategic minutes mix regardless depending how well they play.

gospursgojas
09-05-2016, 01:13 AM
Another undersized PF to get dominated by Adams and Kanter

spurtech09
09-05-2016, 05:46 PM
MMMM pass

T Park
09-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Another undersized PF to get dominated by Adams and Kanter

A lower tier playoff team. *yawn* so who cares. The best teams are small.

Solid D
09-05-2016, 07:13 PM
When you get over the limit on player numbers, choosing the right guy for the same position can be important. See July 2002: Ginobili over Giricek.

jermaine
09-05-2016, 09:26 PM
I don't see him getting bullied by Dary. Green thou...... Sooioo but with David Lee, I don't see why they would want him. Unless Anderson is gettin traded.

Chinook
09-05-2016, 10:11 PM
If you think Lee playing center is a good idea then might as well open up a layup line when he's the last line of defense.:lol (I'm assuming that you aren't suggesting that LMA play center while Pau/Dedmon play together)

Mirotic started alongside Pau so Lee shouldn't be any worse against backups w/ Pau protecting the rim.

Mirotic is a shooter, so he fits with Pau just fine. While Gasol might be able to spot up for three, you don't want him spacing the floor for Lee. It'd be like Kawhi spacing for Parker. And LMA was plenty fine for a defensive center, especially against bench units.

As far as my preferred units, I want the Spurs to play small with their bench with Lee as the fifth big. I really like the Anderson/Bertans forward combo, and if Garino makes the team, he'd be another option along with Simmons to rotate in there. I want a return of four out, one in like with Neal, Manu, back-up three, Bonner and Splitter units.

Solid D
09-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Considering the Spurs have had to replace the majority of their Bigs (5 of 7), if they don't want to replace a "Big" slot with a Wing, then someone experienced (like a Landry) would make more sense to me than Jean-Charles. Jean-Charles is a projjjjjjjjjjjjjjject. Another Wing makes more sense to me since Anderson is filling Diaw's role now. Anderson was a swing 3/4 last season. Jean-Charles is not an NBA Wing, so he goes to Austin. Sorry.

Slot changes (not roles but slots)
Duncan -> Gasol
Aldridge -> Aldridge
Diaw -> Jean-Charles
West -> Lee
Marjanovich -> Dedmon
Bonner -> Bertans
Anderson (3/4) -> Anderson

MaNu4Tres
09-05-2016, 11:19 PM
Considering the Spurs have had to replace the majority of their Bigs (5 of 7), if they don't want to replace a "Big" slot with a Wing, then someone experienced (like a Landry) would make more sense to me than Jean-Charles. Jean-Charles is a projjjjjjjjjjjjjjject. Another Wing makes more sense to me since Anderson is filling Diaw's role now. Anderson was a swing 3/4 last season. Jean-Charles is not an NBA Wing, so he goes to Austin. Sorry.

Slot changes (not roles but slots)
Duncan -> Gasol
Aldridge -> Aldridge
Diaw -> Jean-Charles
West -> Lee
Marjanovich -> Dedmon
Bonner -> Bertans
Anderson (3/4) -> Anderson

Slots are irrelevant though, it's about roles.

Roles: Last year vs. This year

Starters
Duncan -- Gasol
Aldridge -- Aldridge

3rd and 4th big in rotation
West -- Dedmon
Diaw -- Anderson or Lee or Carl Landry?

5th & 6th bigs (Garbage minutes/ Injury fill ins/ 2nd of back to back rest minutes if Gasol or Alridge sits out)
Boban -- Anderson/ Lee/ Landry?
Bonner -- Livio Jean Charles

Bertans will be replacing Martin on the wing (Bertans is more of a SF -- his game isn't like Bonners (a better comparable is Dunleavy -- just not as good?). Murray will be replacing McCallum or Miller as the third PG.

Livio will be replacing Bonner as the last big (PF) on the roster. Instead of him being in a suit most of the year in San Antonio, he'll be in Austin.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-05-2016, 11:49 PM

Roles: Last year vs. This year

Starters
Duncan -- Gasol
Aldridge -- Aldridge

3rd and 4th big in rotation
West -- Dedmon
Diaw -- Anderson or Lee or Carl Landry?

5th & 6th bigs (Garbage minutes/ Injury fill ins/ 2nd of back to back rest minutes if Gasol or Alridge sits out)
Boban -- Anderson/ Lee/ Landry?
Bonner -- Livio Jean Charles

Bertans will be replacing Martin on the wing (Bertans is more of a SF -- his game isn't like Bonners (a better comparable is Dunleavy -- just not as good?). Murray will be replacing McCallum or Miller as the third PG.

Livio will be replacing Bonner as the last big (PF) on the roster. Instead of him being in a suit most of the year in San Antonio, he'll be in Austin.

Diaw was the 3rd big. Gasol will be able to take on much more than the 25 mpg Duncan was able to muster.

Roles also evolve. We have a lot of big's that are mobile now and likely will adjust our style. You can say '3rd big' or whatever but I can see them playing differently as opposed to the days when we would trot out Duncan, Baynes, and the like. We're likely to see Popovich do lot of tinkering with all manner of lineups to see what works. He always does this but I anticipate it being moreso this season.

Spurs coaching staff has said they will play Bertans at the 4 and played him there in SL. He will likely play the stretch 4 role that Horry and Bonner played when they were in the rotation; Pop loves that role. Most teams don't have two post scorers off the bench so I don't see post defense as a problem if he is paired with Dedmon.

MaNu4Tres
09-06-2016, 12:05 AM
Diaw was the 3rd big. Gasol will be able to take on much more than the 25 mpg Duncan was able to muster.

Roles also evolve. We have a lot of big's that are mobile now and likely will adjust our style. You can say '3rd big' or whatever but I can see them playing differently as opposed to the days when we would trot out Duncan, Baynes, and the like. We're likely to see Popovich do lot of tinkering with all manner of lineups to see what works. He always does this but I anticipate it being moreso this season.

Spurs coaching staff has said they will play Bertans at the 4 and played him there in SL. He will likely play the stretch 4 role that Horry and Bonner played when they were in the rotation; Pop loves that role. Most teams don't have two post scorers off the bench so I don't see post defense as a problem if he is paired with Dedmon.

Diaw and West were both 3rd bigs at different times according to match ups. Arguing over which was which is silly. I've also mentioned in many threads about Gasol being able to play more minutes than Duncan did in his last year.

Bertans won't play the Horry role or the Bonner role (when Bonner was the 3rd or 4th big in the rotation). Bertans will play the 4 only if the other team goes small too with a SF at the PF spot. And most of those minutes will come during garbage time, 2nd of back to back (when there's 2 or 3 guys who rest) or if there's significant amount of injuries. However, when competition is tight and when no one rests or if no one is injured, Bertans will be competing with Simmons and Anderson for the back up SF minutes vs. traditional lineups ( he's not going to be the 3rd or 4th big like Horry or prime Bonner). If he's going to have a relevant role when it matters, it will have to come at the back up SF spot -- if he beats out Simmons and Anderson.

Solid D
09-06-2016, 12:16 AM

Yes, roles and match ups...except for my purposes of showing the number of Bigs last season vs. this season - since Aldridge and Anderson stayed put, although Anderson's role may change/morph.

The point is maybe having 6 Bigs instead of 7 this season.

Spurtacular
09-06-2016, 12:24 AM
I worry about drop-off. But from an academic standpoint, a Landry acquisition has merit.

Solid D
09-06-2016, 12:35 AM
if Leonard or Simmons are injured, it would be nice to at least have a Wing with defensive acuity (in addition to Manu or Green) to fill in. Garino is an option to do that but he'll need to prove himself worthy in camp.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-06-2016, 01:22 AM
Diaw and West were both 3rd bigs at different times according to match ups. Arguing over which was which is silly. I've also mentioned in many threads about Gasol being able to play more minutes than Duncan did in his last year.

Bertans won't play the Horry role or the Bonner role (when Bonner was the 3rd or 4th big in the rotation). Bertans will play the 4 only if the other team goes small too with a SF at the PF spot. And most of those minutes will come during garbage time, 2nd of back to back (when there's 2 or 3 guys who rest) or if there's significant amount of injuries. However, when competition is tight and when no one rests or if no one is injured, Bertans will be competing with Simmons and Anderson for the back up SF minutes vs. traditional lineups ( he's not going to be the 3rd or 4th big like Horry or prime Bonner). If he's going to have a relevant role when it matters, it will have to come at the back up SF spot -- if he beats out Simmons and Anderson.

Bonner started at one point. The team has said Bertans will play the 4. You have no idea how things will shake out and feigning certainty is a good way to end up wrong. You're theorycrafting is meaningless as to what Pop will actually decide to do.

SAGirl
09-06-2016, 03:44 AM

He was specifically told by the Spurs he's going to be a 4. I don't know if you saw that and if you didn't I will look it up and share that interview he gave later, but he specifically said the Spurs want him to play the stretch 4 role.

Also, I suspect the 3 in the Spurs is really changing. They already revamped it for Kawhi so Bertans needs to learn how to play the 4 regardless. The Spurs sets have been redesigned to get Kawhi the ball in spots he likes and he may be becoming more ball dominant.

And in the bench, they run something different bc it was designed for Manu, but it should be in flux, quite simply bc Manu is old and soon to retire and the Spurs need to experiment and look around at the other guys they have developed. One of them is a RFA next summer and the other they need to know what they have there for sure (to evaluate any possible trades or to resign him--the worst possible outcome is for him to go like Cojo in every possible way). It's possible Pop wants one or both of these guys to get all bench minutes at the 3, provided they earn them again

Chinook
09-06-2016, 04:11 AM
if Leonard or Simmons are injured, it would be nice to at least have a Wing with defensive acuity (in addition to Manu or Green) to fill in. Garino is an option to do that but he'll need to prove himself worthy in camp.

Besides LJC, I can't think of a player the team can more afford to lose than Simmons. Dude certainly isn't part of the defensive equation. If Garino makes the team, he'll be above Jonathon in the three-and-D pecking order.

SAGirl
09-06-2016, 05:12 AM
Besides LJC, I can't think of a player the team can more afford to lose than Simmons. Dude certainly isn't part of the defensive equation. If Garino makes the team, he'll be above Jonathon in the three-and-D pecking order.
:tu Thanks for mentioning that. The statement was so incorrect, but decided not to reply to Solid D bc ppl assume I have an agenda against JSimms and I do not.

I don't know what Jsimms Solid D has been watching but Simmons was a foul machine most of the time and it was that ultimately, and overall bad defense that got him benched. If he can't improve on that he's likely in trouble with the Spurs. I would venture that's probably one of the single most important things they want to see him improve on.

Solid D
09-06-2016, 07:46 AM

Haha, well Simmons isn't a great defender - certainly the worst of the rotation of Leonard, Green, Manu, and himself among wings with size, but my emphasis wasn't on Simmons, it was on getting an additional wing with some defensive acuity.

Solid D
09-06-2016, 07:54 AM
:tu Thanks for mentioning that. The statement was so incorrect, but decided not to reply to Solid D bc ppl assume I have an agenda against JSimms and I do not.

I don't know what Jsimms Solid D has been watching but Simmons was a foul machine most of the time and it was that ultimately, and overall bad defense that got him benched. If he can't improve on that he's likely in trouble with the Spurs. I would venture that's probably one of the single most important things they want to see him improve on.

That's probably not the best reason for not replying directly...if you replied indirectly.

Chinook
09-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Haha, well Simmons isn't a great defender - certainly the worst of the rotation of Leonard, Green, Manu, and himself among wings with size, but my emphasis wasn't on Simmons, it was on getting an additional wing with some defensive acuity.

I think he's worst than Anderson by a noticeable amount, in my opinion. Simmons' D is bad to the point that I literally wouldn't bat an eye if Mills or Bertans took his assignments. I support the idea of getting another defender the same as you do. I just see the guy as a complete non-factor at this point.

Solid D
09-06-2016, 08:27 AM
I think he's worst than Anderson by a noticeable amount, in my opinion. Simmons' D is bad to the point that I literally wouldn't bat an eye if Mills or Bertans took his assignments. I support the idea of getting another defender the same as you do. I just see the guy as a complete non-factor at this point.

Okay, and that's fine. If the Spurs think Simmons isn't worth keeping, I'm sure they will act accordingly. At this point, I'm still assuming he's there.

Chinook
09-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Okay, and that's fine. If the Spurs think Simmons isn't worth keeping, I'm sure they will act accordingly. At this point, I'm still assuming he's there.

Yeah, I think he makes the team unless both Garino and another guard impress. He's a decent enough fifth wing, and he still has a needed skill-set. I would be wary of re-signing him, though. I definitely think he should be behind Mills in priority for next summer. Murray projects better as a two next to Patty than as a one next to Simmons, in my opinion.

Solid D
09-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I think he makes the team unless both Garino and another guard impress. He's a decent enough fifth wing, and he still has a needed skill-set. I would be wary of re-signing him, though. I definitely think he should be behind Mills in priority for next summer. Murray projects better as a two next to Patty than as a one next to Simmons, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm just kidding myself to think the Spurs really intend to use Anderson more as a Big (and less elsewhere) this coming season. He's a pretty unique and variable asset.

Chinook
09-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Maybe I'm just kidding myself to think the Spurs really intend to use Anderson more as a Big (and less elsewhere) this coming season. He's a pretty unique and variable asset.

I think most people want that (me included). Mills, Manu, _______, Anderson and Dedmon is a really interesting lineup. Bertans (or Forbes if he makes the team) would add another shooter, which would make that offense incredible. Garino if he pans out would add the defense that unit is currently missing. Simmons/Murray would have plenty of slashing lanes. I don't know what the plan with Lee is going to be.

SAGirl
09-06-2016, 04:16 PM
That's probably not the best reason for not replying directly...if you replied indirectly.
Just didn't want to address your post to come out critically of J.Simms. It seemed clear to me you didn't really observe him defensively and made a comment that was ignorant but I decided to let it go. It was nice that Chinook addressed it. Bc I am a notorious Anderson fan ppl think I dislike J.Simms or I guess think my comments are always agenda motivated and I decided to save myself the aggravation and let it go.

J.Simms can be overrated just bc he's a good athlete, and listen I like him. I think he can help the team as a roleplayer but putting him ahead of anybody else: Danny, Manu or Kyle on defense is a mistake. He was dead last as a defender. I think at this point he's a kind of ball dominant offensive player, more than anything else.

ceperez
09-06-2016, 04:28 PM
I think most people want that (me included). Mills, Manu, _______, Anderson and Dedmon is a really interesting lineup. Bertans (or Forbes if he makes the team) would add another shooter, which would make that offense incredible. Garino if he pans out would add the defense that unit is currently missing. Simmons/Murray would have plenty of slashing lanes. I don't know what the plan with Lee is going to be.

Manu is on is last legs, so I just see how the offense would run through him. Mills can't create by himself. Dedmon is a black hole in offense. Anderson isn't just that dominant a player. So I really can't see how the second team is going to be as effective with both Bobo and Boban gone.

SAGirl
09-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Manu is on is last legs, so I just see how the offense would run through him. Mills can't create by himself. Dedmon is a black hole in offense. Anderson isn't just that dominant a player. So I really can't see how the second team is going to be as effective with both Bobo and Boban gone.
They will need to play at a faster pace. I expect a lot of plays in transition between Anderson and Simmons, which suit J.Simms skills really well and takes advantage of his athleticism and Anderson's skilled passing in transition. I'd expect there to be transition 3s for Bertans, Mills, Green when they play in the bench. I'd have Bertans coming off screens too even as a 4. I'd run the heck out of any 4 who is not an athlete that is guarding Bertans. I expect for there to be a lot of screening to get mismatches for Anderson. I am sure he can draw fouls or will score on little guys and probably will want to dish to Dedmon a lot. I think they can develop a 2 man game with lobs, etc, bc Anderson likes to dish to bigs a lot. He likes to draw the defender to him with the intention of dishing to the big, be it whoever, Boban, LMA, Kirk in SL. He gets others good shots.

I think he will post up when the offense stalls, but they will prefer to play at a fast pace that doesn't rely on the post up most times. I bet they will feature Simmons a little bit too and have him run his PNR. It's not all on just one guy.

Kyle was barely used last season. He was mostly a spot up shooter. It wasn't until later in the season that Pop gave him more freedom and we saw more of what he can do. We forget that Pop was super strict with him on shot selection, so not only was he played off the ball, but he wasn't meant to shoot unless he was wide open. When he had to, only when he had to, we saw him manufacture shots with the clock winding down. That was the only time he had freedom to do whatever he wanted. I sure he can do more than Pop let him do.

Also, I bet Anderson will dish out to Dedmon on the regular. He's skillfull finding angles to get inside and prefers to dish to the big. He set up LMA for a lot of shots the few times they played together, and he'd look for Boban. In fact I think Anderson needs a big who can catch a lob and a shooter/scorer next to him (J.Simms, a Mills, a Forbes, a perhaps more mature Murray, any perimeter player who can shoot or make a play to score) and he will figure it out.

He can find dudes like J.Simms cutting and other dudes who like to spot for the 3, and if the team is in a jam he can Iso and bail them out and get a basket. You may consider his past season as really the first one he was truly in the team and should realize he was in a strict leash.

But of course if Manu or Mills are running the show and he's just spotted up somewhere you will see a different kind of game. He's said that himself. It's very different when they ask him to be the man to get the engine running, than when they ask him to play off their ppl.

Solid D
09-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Just didn't want to address your post to come out critically of J.Simms. It seemed clear to me you didn't really observe him defensively and made a comment that was ignorant but I decided to let it go. It was nice that Chinook addressed it. Bc I am a notorious Anderson fan ppl think I dislike J.Simms or I guess think my comments are always agenda motivated and I decided to save myself the aggravation and let it go.

J.Simms can be overrated just bc he's a good athlete, and listen I like him. I think he can help the team as a roleplayer but putting him ahead of anybody else: Danny, Manu or Kyle on defense is a mistake. He was dead last as a defender. I think at this point he's a kind of ball dominant offensive player, more than anything else.

Well, hopefully my clarification helped you better understand what I was trying to emphasize. I admit, I could have phrased it differently. If you still think the comment was made out of ignorance, then it's not worthy of further discussion from my perspective.

Solid D
09-07-2016, 12:31 AM
Last season, the Spurs actually had 8 not 7, since they used Rasual Butler as a Big for much of his time on the floor. At the end of the season, the Spurs jettisoned Butler in favor of a smaller Wing player with fairly poor defensive acuity (save for the occasional jumping the passing lanes). This season, if the Spurs sacrifice a Big for a smaller player, it would be nice to see them bring in someone with defensive skills and tenacity.

SAGirl
09-07-2016, 12:45 AM
Well, hopefully my clarification helped you better understand what I was trying to emphasize. I admit, I could have phrased it differently. If you still think the comment was made out of ignorance, then it's not worthy of further discussion from my perspective.
Sorry Solid :tu I saw what you meant in a follow up post. Didn't mean to be insulting or an ass about it.

Solid D
09-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Sorry Solid :tu I saw what you meant in a follow up post. Didn't mean to be insulting or an ass about it.

Okay, great. Thanks!

spurs10
09-07-2016, 02:06 AM
Mirotic is a shooter, so he fits with Pau just fine. While Gasol might be able to spot up for three, you don't want him spacing the floor for Lee. It'd be like Kawhi spacing for Parker. And LMA was plenty fine for a defensive center, especially against bench units.

As far as my preferred units, I want the Spurs to play small with their bench with Lee as the fifth big. I really like the Anderson/Bertans forward combo, and if Garino makes the team, he'd be another option along with Simmons to rotate in there. I want a return of four out, one in like with Neal, Manu, back-up three, Bonner and Splitter units. Where is Dedmon in this scenario?

spurs10
09-07-2016, 02:31 AM

As far as my preferred units, I want the Spurs to play small with their bench with Lee as the fifth big. I really like the Anderson/Bertans forward combo, and if Garino makes the team, he'd be another option along with Simmons to rotate in there. I want a return of four out, one in like with Neal, Manu, back-up three, Bonner and Splitter units. Never mind I get it "with Lee as the fifth big."

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-09-2016, 11:20 AM
I've always liked Landry's grit and style of play. I suppose with guys like Draymond getting 'big' minutes, and so many teams looking like they'll be playing small, a 'shorter' big like Landry would fit into certain matchups.