PDA

View Full Version : ITT Tech shutdown creates uncertainty for 40,000 students, 8,000 employees

SnakeBoy
09-07-2016, 04:11 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-itt-tech-shuts-down-0907-biz-20160906-story.html

SnakeBoy
09-07-2016, 04:16 AM
Some GI Bill students completely screwed. No degree, no GI Bill left, do not pass go.

SnakeBoy
09-07-2016, 04:17 AM
Student loans forgiven but you have to start all over somewhere else.

boutons_deux
09-07-2016, 04:25 AM
So you suggest the govt shouldn't have shut down for-profit ITT Inst scam?

baseline bum
09-07-2016, 05:31 AM
Some GI Bill students completely screwed. No degree, no GI Bill left, do not pass go.

They were screwed the moment they signed up for that scam.

hater
09-07-2016, 06:51 AM
Ppl actually believed those shitty commercials????

baseline bum
09-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Ppl actually believed those shitty commercials????

I thought they were pretty good tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJl0XuDKSjc

DarrinS
09-07-2016, 07:04 AM
^ :lmao

Trainwreck2100
09-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Student loans forgiven but you have to start all over somewhere else.

lucky motherfuckers

TDMVPDPOY
09-07-2016, 10:02 AM
another fucked up ponzi scheme, selling unaccreditted courses to students who take on student loan debts,w hile the agent or seller gets off jail free

boutons_deux
09-07-2016, 10:05 AM
another fucked up ponzi scheme, selling unaccreditted courses to students who take on student loan debts,w hile the agent or seller gets off jail free

while the for-profit mgmt pays itself $100Ks salary, or more. Same scam with for-profit charter schools.

CosmicCowboy
09-07-2016, 10:20 AM
I bitched about ITT tech in here years ago. Knew some kids that my daughter knew that got scammed. They skated through "class" but 30K later they had a worthless "computer" degree and didn't know shit.

CosmicCowboy
09-07-2016, 10:20 AM
while the for-profit mgmt pays itself $100Ks salary, or more. Same scam with for-profit charter schools.

Don't paint them all with the same brush Boo. Some are good.

baseline bum
09-07-2016, 10:41 AM
lucky motherfuckers

Indeed, it's like a best case scenario for anyone scammed by them. Worst case is racking up four years of debt and graduating with a completely worthless degree.

baseline bum
09-07-2016, 10:43 AM
I bitched about ITT tech in here years ago. Knew some kids that my daughter knew that got scammed. They skated through "class" but 30K later they had a worthless "computer" degree and didn't know shit.

Gotta love when schools like ITT Tech and Everest count working at Starbucks as finding employment after graduation. I can't imagine why anyone would pay a piece of crap school like that $20,000 a year when you could get a much better education for 1/4 the price at a community college.

boutons_deux
09-07-2016, 12:11 PM
pay a piece of crap school like that $20,000 a year

... the whole point is the students don't pay. The loans are from taxpayers. The students, most of whom don't graduate, pay the loans after they quit, fail, leave.

Wild Cobra
09-07-2016, 12:22 PM

Like today's K-12 schools. They don't flunk kids any more. Situation normal for the liberal feel-good agenda.

I have seen some excellent people come out of ITT. It's up to the individual to apply themselves.

Should ITT have said to so many, sorry, you aren't doing so well. We don't want your money any more...

SnakeBoy
09-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Indeed, it's like a best case scenario for anyone scammed by them. Worst case is racking up four years of debt and graduating with a completely worthless degree.

When I worked at AMD they hired all almost all their Fab Techs from ITT. I know 2 guys working at an SA Tech company that went to ITT and they're making $50-60k. That's not bad for associates degree.

boutons_deux
09-07-2016, 12:33 PM
you aren't doing so well. We don't want your money any more...

for-profit "colleges" don't give shit about how well their students do, they only and ALWAYS want the taxpayers $100Ms in student loans.

SnakeBoy
09-07-2016, 12:34 PM

That's the problem with for profit education...they have no reason to flunk anyone. Still a book is a book, they should have studied it if they expected a job afterwards.

baseline bum
09-07-2016, 02:17 PM
When I worked at AMD they hired all almost all their Fab Techs from ITT.

Damn no wonder they had to dump their foundry

Wild Cobra
09-07-2016, 04:06 PM
for-profit "colleges" don't give shit about how well their students do, they only and ALWAYS want the taxpayers $100Ms in student loans.

That is my point. ITT has a good curriculum. That doesn't mean everyone there actually learns it. They don't care. They are in it for the profit, so they don';t kick out the 75% or so underachievers that they should.

Xevious
09-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I thought they were pretty good tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJl0XuDKSjc

:lol

boutons_deux
09-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Education Department Terminates Agency That Allowed Predatory For-profit Colleges to Thrive

The Education Department announced today (https://www.propublica.org/documents/item/3112335-ACICS-S2016-Senior-Department-Official-S-SDO.html) that it is stripping the powers of one of the nation’s largest accreditors of for-profit schools.

The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, or ACICS, has been under scrutiny for continuing to accredit colleges whose students had strikingly poor outcomes.

As ProPublica has reported, schools accredited by the agency on average have the lowest graduation rates in the country (https://www.propublica.org/article/accreditors-billions-of-taxpayer-dollars-flowing-to-for-profit-colleges) and their students have the lowest loan repayment rates.

Accreditors are supposed to ensure college quality, and their seal of approval gives schools access to billions of federal student aid dollars.

As we have also reported, two-thirds of ACICS commissioners (https://www.propublica.org/article/whos-regulating-for-profit-schools-execs-from-for-profit-colleges) — who make the ultimate decisions about accreditation for schools — were executives at for-profit colleges. Many of the commissioners worked at colleges that were under investigation.

Critics who’ve pointed to abuses by for-profit colleges celebrated today’s action.

“The rot from poor behavior spread beyond just the for-profit schools to the people who were supposed to be looking over them,” said Ben Miller, senior director for postsecondary education at the Center for American Progress.

“This is an extremely important decision both in protecting students and taxpayers.”
ACICS accredits over 200 colleges, which enroll an estimated 600,000 students. Schools accredited by ACICS received around $5 billion in federal student aid last year.

https://www.propublica.org/article/education-department-terminates-agency-predatory-for-profit-colleges-thrive?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=1474586812

I guarantee you that a Dept of Ed under the scammer/grifter Trash U asshole wouldn't have shut down this fraudulent accreditor.