PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here have experience w/ code bootcamp?

Kawhitstorm
09-07-2016, 11:23 PM
I've a molecular biology background, I've worked in research labs & had a cup of tea at med school. I could get certified & work in a clinical lab while making decent money but doing monotonous stuff for the rest of my life.......I really don't want to be that guy.

I was thinking about getting a masters in Bioinformatics but they really only work in academia which means shyt money & a lot of bureaucracy so I was thinking about going the coding bootcamp route to become a developer. The program I'm looking into is certified by the state so it's legit but I don't have much coding experience. I took an intro to programming course (python) in college & web design class in high school, I had an A+ in both courses.

They suggested Codeacademy as a prep for their program just to learn the syntax otherwise it's a 6-8 week for "Pre-work" followed by a 12 week immersion course.

InRareForm
09-07-2016, 11:51 PM
some places have high job placement rates after completion. Most of these jobs pay big money..... I was thinking of doing the same.

Kawhitstorm
09-08-2016, 12:48 AM
some places have high job placement rates after completion. Most of these jobs pay big money..... I was thinking of doing the same.

I'm going to apply for a clinical lab internship as a backup & give their "pre-work" program a shot after I complete codeacademy. If the bootcamp thing works out then I could defer the internship.

apalisoc_9
09-08-2016, 02:34 AM
I went back to univeristy this year for Health Infomration and Programming. Should be able to finish it in a couple of years. I actually had a conversation about one of my instructors about bootcamp.

He told me while it does teach you skills required. It's very company specific. They cut corners and don't teach you the funadmentals.

Also, companies are investing heavily on drag down app devlopment..but i really dont know how that affect the industry.

BD24
09-08-2016, 07:30 AM
The code boot camps are ok. But honestly, I see much more preference towards 4 year degrees. I think you can gain decent knowledge from code camps, honestly may be a bit difficult to find a job though when you have to compete against 4 year degree guys.

Kawhitstorm
09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
I went back to univeristy this year for Health Infomration and Programming. Should be able to finish it in a couple of years. I actually had a conversation about one of my instructors about bootcamp.

He told me while it does teach you skills required. It's very company specific. They cut corners and don't teach you the funadmentals.

Also, companies are investing heavily on drag down app devlopment..but i really dont know how that affect the industry.

One thing that scares me is another dot-com bubble type of shyt with how bootcamp grads are making 6 figures punching in codes & the volatility of start-ups.

Kawhitstorm
09-08-2016, 06:44 PM
The code boot camps are ok. But honestly, I see much more preference towards 4 year degrees. I think you can gain decent knowledge from code camps, honestly may be a bit difficult to find a job though when you have to compete against 4 year degree guys.

My other option is essentially earning a masters for free in Belgium (KU Leuven) b/c I ain't about to fork up 40K in the states for Bioinformatics.

BD24
09-08-2016, 09:14 PM
My other option is essentially earning a masters for free in Belgium (KU Leuven) b/c I ain't about to fork up 40K in the states for Bioinformatics.
Would it be a Masters in Computer Science? If so I would go that route, make sure you get a specialization in Software Engineering. Developers that are US Citizens/GC holders are in incredibly high demand. Java is the hot commodity right now, can't go wrong with Python either though.

As far as the concern about the dotnet bubble popping I wouldn't worry about it to much. In todays world developers are just going to keep being more and more in demand. There is no where near enough good developers to satisfy the demand. I would warn to stay away from functional shit such as Scrum Masters and Project Managers, those cats are the first to get the boot when layoffs come around, they are more easily replaceable and not as mission critical.

koriwhat
09-08-2016, 11:11 PM
i was thinking about the same but started the MIT intro programming on their opencourseware site. too many projects and not enough knowledge but my 3d printer came in yesterday so i better learn all this bs i want to learn and create things with. good luck man!

HarlemHeat37
09-09-2016, 01:18 AM

Depends where you're from IMO..over here, there's a ton of support and attempts at increased funding for boot camps(since the provincial system doesn't currently grant bootcamp students with financial aid), along with growing credibility..

I never fucked with it, but I know many in the industry that speak highly of them, even with no other credentials, tbh..

I just finished my Bachelor of CS, last year, after starting off with an IS degree..probably won't pursue my Masters, though, as I already got a decent job through a co-op hookup..tired of school, too, I sucked it up because I had time to kill before my criminal record could get erased, tbh :lol..

BD24
09-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Depends where you're from IMO..over here, there's a ton of support and attempts at increased funding for boot camps(since the provincial system doesn't currently grant bootcamp students with financial aid), along with growing credibility..

I never fucked with it, but I know many in the industry that speak highly of them, even with no other credentials, tbh..

I just finished my Bachelor of CS, last year, after starting off with an IS degree..probably won't pursue my Masters, though, as I already got a decent job through a co-op hookup..tired of school, too, I sucked it up because I had time to kill before my criminal record could get erased, tbh :lol..
Yea no reason to get a masters, a bachelors is good enough for a job. Masters is just some gravy on top honestly.

not saying the boot camps aren't good, they are. But you will almost always see a preference towards a bachelors.

Kawhitstorm
09-09-2016, 06:57 PM

I'm in SoCal, so there is no shortage of bootcamps. The program I was looking into is actually qualified for grants/financial aid & a 10 minute drive from where I live: http://sabio.la/