PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Trade: Okafor or Noel?

Trueblood
09-11-2016, 10:08 PM
A few click bait articles floating around about the Spurs being in the running to trade for Okafor or Noel. I don't believe the hype, but if you could trade for either of them which one would you want?

A potential trade would probably involve Patty since Brown has ties to him with the Australian team and rumors say they would also want Green.

So would a trade be worth it and if so which one would you prefer and why?

gambit1990
09-11-2016, 10:20 PM
this is what a late offseason thread should look like chinook.

i'd take either provided parker is the one getting traded.

sasaint
09-11-2016, 10:29 PM
If you want to spend time on hypotheticals, I prefer another scenario: What about the rumors that John Wall is disgruntled in Washington and does not get along with Bradley Beal? What asset would/could the Spurs pair with TP to make a deal with the Wizards?

cutewizard
09-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Bring in John Wall!!!!!!!

sasaint
09-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Bring in John Wall!!!!!!!

Yeah, but how?

baseline bum
09-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Whichever one can play PG better than Parker

Chinook
09-11-2016, 11:08 PM
this is what a late offseason thread should look like chinook.

I shoulda guessed that you'd like a thread that is pretty much a rehash of multiple threads we've already had this summer. Still would take either trade over that shit you proposed last year, though.

gambit1990
09-11-2016, 11:11 PM
If you want to spend time on hypotheticals, I prefer another scenario: What about the rumors that John Wall is disgruntled in Washington and does not get along with Bradley Beal? What asset would/could the Spurs pair with TP to make a deal with the Wizards?
TBH... if the wizards are dumb and gullible enough to sign beal for what they did... i hope they'd be interested in a veteran, "playoff proven" pg.

I shoulda guessed that you'd like a thread that is pretty much a rehash of multiple threads we've already had this summer. Still would take either trade over that shit you proposed last year, though.
what trade would you take over the trade i proposed?

sasaint
09-11-2016, 11:14 PM
TBH... if the wizards are dumb and gullible enough to sign beal for what they did... i hope they'd be interested in a veteran, "playoff proven" pg.

Also one that does not break the bank - from their perspective.

Chinook
09-11-2016, 11:23 PM

Any. Neither big should be a target for the team, but at least they aren't going to walk for nothing because the Spurs can't afford them, and at least they aren't on albatrosses of contracts.

gambit1990
09-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Also one that does not break the bank - from their perspective.
they'd be paying and owe less to parker than john wall.

gambit1990
09-11-2016, 11:45 PM
I shoulda guessed that you'd like a thread that is pretty much a rehash of multiple threads we've already had this summer.
coming from someone whose thread was concerning richard jefferson... in 2016 :lol

this late offseason thread is better than yours because it's actually relevant.

Any.
so you'd give up kawhi + lma for noel? :lmao damn chinook, i didn't know how stupid you were until now.

tbdog
09-12-2016, 01:14 AM
To get Wall will be hard. Wizards would want to attach Gortart with him. After browsing through the trade machine, I really really struggled to find a deal where we don't have to give up Green. This is the best I can come up with.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hzsk6pp

Chinook
09-12-2016, 06:37 AM
coming from someone whose thread was concerning richard jefferson... in 2016 :lol

Talking about the past and bumping stupid threads are different things. It's no shock that basic concepts are beyond you.

so you'd give up kawhi + lma for noel? :lmao damn chinook, i didn't know how stupid you were until now.

A potential trade would probably involve Patty since Brown has ties to him with the Australian team and rumors say they would also want Green.

So would a trade be worth it and if so which one would you prefer and why?

Can't even remember the OP 11 posts down. Ironic for someone who loves trying to rehash people's posts from months in the past.

And to clarify, I hate a Green and Patty for either big trade. They're just better than yours.

Seventyniner
09-12-2016, 10:57 AM

Kawhi Leonard.

TheGreatYacht
09-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Trade Kiwi and Manu

SAGirl
09-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Wall is not in the trade block though, but it's interesting to discuss both possible trades. We get stuck with a situation similar to the Westbrook one, Spurs not having good enough interesting assets that they can spare, and always bottom of the round 1st picks.

I think it's more reasonable to put a package for someone like Noel who is not a star, than John Wall. Besides, If I am the Wizards and those two are not getting along, I am shipping out Beal. His injury history at just 22-23 years old is a red flag long term.

SAGirl
09-12-2016, 01:35 PM
To get Wall will be hard. Wizards would want to attach Gortart with him. After browsing through the trade machine, I really really struggled to find a deal where we don't have to give up Green. This is the best I can come up with.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hzsk6pp

Honestly it's kind of a given that any trade for a star is going to require shipping out Danny IMO, and for some teams Danny won't even be enough unless they are under real pressure to trade out the player in question. I'd even tack Anderson there but Wizards have Otto Porter and Kelly Oubre. In reality Wizards at least want Lamarcus.

Chinook
09-12-2016, 01:37 PM
I'd rather trade for Rubio than Wall. Same player at a cheaper price.

sananspursfan21
09-12-2016, 02:10 PM
IF it were to happen it would be difficult. Okafor is great offensively, pretty lousy defensively but could be good. Noel is great defensively but I don't know if his offense can developed really

SAGirl
09-12-2016, 02:24 PM
IF it were to happen it would be difficult. Okafor is great offensively, pretty lousy defensively but could be good. Noel is great defensively but I don't know if his offense can developed really
Considering Spurs current roster, of the two 76ers bigs I prefer Noel (also answers OP point). I don't watch 76ers so someone can get on this point and argue Okafor is by far the better big man prospect long term, but he doesn't fit very well. Spurs already have 2 scorers in their SL and Okafors value to stay on the court is offensive touches. I feel like Noel fits better.

76ers need perimeter players and that's likely what they want, specially guys who can shoot. Danny and Patty can be interesting but Patty is going to be a FA anyways why trade for him. I feel like the guy who could swing that trade is Danny.

I am not suggesting Anderson bc they already have not 1 but 2 guys like him (with higher ceiling) and until Anderson shows (hopefully for the Spurs) that he's going to shoot the 3 like he did in the summer he still remains a guy that's difficult to fit off the ball.

They could use Bertans I think but he hasn't proven to be an NBA level player. They have a similar guy in Stauskas, less tall but similar. Bertans has to show he can play in the NBA to raise his stock a little. Bottom line the trade would be Noel for Danny (don't know if the salaries match but 76rd cam attach filler). I don't think that trade makes the Spurs better.

SAGirl
09-12-2016, 02:36 PM
I'd rather trade for Rubio than Wall. Same player at a cheaper price.
His salary will require shipping out someone like Tony or Danny. It should be Tony, but Pop won't do that. I think bottom line we always come back to Danny bc of that.

Chinook
09-12-2016, 02:38 PM
His salary will require shipping out someone like Tony or Danny. It should be Tony, but Pop won't do that. I think bottom line we always come back to Danny bc of that.

I mean, the Spurs don't need to make a trade for a ball-dominant guard. That's really what this comes down to. A Lowery type is ideal for the offense.

SAGirl
09-12-2016, 02:56 PM
I mean, the Spurs don't need to make a trade for a ball-dominant guard. That's really what this comes down to. A Lowery type is ideal for the offense.

I didn't even want to get on that point, I don't like Rubio for the Spurs either. I at least want to see what Pop is going to do this season with Kawhi. I think that as much as fans and trolls here are putting the pressure on Anderson to show he can take a bigger burden for the bench... there's a lot more pressure on Kawhi at this point to show whether he's going to handle the ball a lot more, call his own number when he needs to and turn into a more ball dominant player. He's improved every season in aggressiveness and ballhandling but he has needed Tony in the past. POP started to put the balk in his hands more to end the season and I think that's what Pop wanted Kobe to mentor Kawhi on.

I think this season Spurs need to know if Kawhi is going to be able to handle most of the playmaking and ballhandling as maybe a less selfish Kobe type, with a caretaker PG like Manu did in his time, like Harden, Kobe, etc. If Kawhi can be that then you can place a shooter type next to him and call it a day. (I don't mention Patty bc he's so inadequate defensively but I think Pop is going to try that among his mad scientist mode). Anyways you get the point. It's all on Kawhi's ultimate development.

Trueblood
09-12-2016, 06:38 PM

I agree with your assessment of the players. I think Noel would be a better fit since we already have scoring bigs. Noel could learn to shoot at a decent click (enter chip) but he'll never transition to a 4. In fact that's why reports say they have to get rid of one of them. Last year they tried to get them on the floor together but neither can effectively play the 4 so one will be riding the bench and not developing.

Trueblood
09-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Considering Spurs current roster, of the two 76ers bigs I prefer Noel (also answers OP point). I don't watch 76ers so someone can get on this point and argue Okafor is by far the better big man prospect long term, but he doesn't fit very well. Spurs already have 2 scorers in their SL and Okafors value to stay on the court is offensive touches. I feel like Noel fits better.

76ers need perimeter players and that's likely what they want, specially guys who can shoot. Danny and Patty can be interesting but Patty is going to be a FA anyways why trade for him. I feel like the guy who could swing that trade is Danny.

I am not suggesting Anderson bc they already have not 1 but 2 guys like him (with higher ceiling) and until Anderson shows (hopefully for the Spurs) that he's going to shoot the 3 like he did in the summer he still remains a guy that's difficult to fit off the ball.

They could use Bertans I think but he hasn't proven to be an NBA level player. They have a similar guy in Stauskas, less tall but similar. Bertans has to show he can play in the NBA to raise his stock a little. Bottom line the trade would be Noel for Danny (don't know if the salaries match but 76rd cam attach filler). I don't think that trade makes the Spurs better.

I totally agree short term it would cause us to take a step back but long term I think it would make us better. If we could steal Noel and give him two years off the bench behind Gasol while letting chip fix his shot he could be a starter along side LA and Leonard. That would be a real challenge for any team to match up against imo. Thoughts?

sasaint
09-12-2016, 07:56 PM
I didn't even want to get on that point, I don't like Rubio for the Spurs either. I at least want to see what Pop is going to do this season with Kawhi. I think that as much as fans and trolls here are putting the pressure on Anderson to show he can take a bigger burden for the bench... there's a lot more pressure on Kawhi at this point to show whether he's going to handle the ball a lot more, call his own number when he needs to and turn into a more ball dominant player. He's improved every season in aggressiveness and ballhandling but he has needed Tony in the past. POP started to put the balk in his hands more to end the season and I think that's what Pop wanted Kobe to mentor Kawhi on.

I think this season Spurs need to know if Kawhi is going to be able to handle most of the playmaking and ballhandling as maybe a less selfish Kobe type, with a caretaker PG like Manu did in his time, like Harden, Kobe, etc. If Kawhi can be that then you can place a shooter type next to him and call it a day. (I don't mention Patty bc he's so inadequate defensively but I think Pop is going to try that among his mad scientist mode). Anyways you get the point. It's all on Kawhi's ultimate development.

I obviously do not know what Pop has in mind for Kawhi, and I think it is terrific that Kawhi has improved every facet of his game - including his ball-handling skill. However, the last thing I would like to see is Kawhi become a ball-dominant second-coming of Kobe. In fact, I am not sure I liked the direction of the offense after last Christmas. I do not personally like iso-ball, and I believe putting the ball more and more in Kawhi's hands came at a cost. Kawhi was leading the league in 3-point FG % for the first half of the season. As he handled the ball more, his 3-point FG% slipped. I would like to see the Spurs move the ball more and not go the way of iso-ball. I like that brand of basketball. I also think it is a mistake to sacrifice Kawhi's dead-eye 3-point shooting for iso two-point baskets. Personally, I would like to see Kawhi scoring primarily on 3-point shots, alley-oops and other assisted plays going to the basket; next, on PnRs; and then on his own isos. I also believe that increasing Kawhi's ball handling responsibility will diminish his energy on the defensive end.

dabom
09-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Kawhi LMA heavy ISO was because we the role players can't score. If they score at an acceptable clip, we don't need much ISOs. I see the idiot basketball player can't comprehend what's going on in their "own" team. :lmao.

outmap
09-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Neither, I'd gamble on Joel Embiid's health if the price is right.

dabom
09-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Neither, I'd gamble on Joel Embiid's health if the price is right.

Spurs aren't gonna gamble on shit...

SAGirl
09-12-2016, 10:06 PM
I totally agree short term it would cause us to take a step back but long term I think it would make us better. If we could steal Noel and give him two years off the bench behind Gasol while letting chip fix his shot he could be a starter along side LA and Leonard. That would be a real challenge for any team to match up against imo. Thoughts?

It really, really depends on whether PATFO (Pop and the Front Office-RC) consider the team in win now mode or they are taking a long term view. Trading Danny would take us out of immediate contender status IMO. The reason? Manu is on his retirement tour, and frankly ppl should be wishing at this point that he holds up for the season and reaches the post season in a better state than Tim did last season. Behind him is Simmons. I like the dude but he's a poor defender, he's fit to be a bench energy player, pushing the pace in transition, cutting etc, looking to score. The fact he doesn't defend well is a problem that makes him not a starter material. He's 27 entering the season, I think he's got limited potential from where he's at right now. He can play in the NBA, but he's not going to get a lot better.. What we see is probably about as good as it gets. He can probably limit his fouling by not reaching in (a huge problem for him was fouling) and make better decisions while he's on the court, but he's no defensive player. If you don't have Danny, Simmons starts and it will be horrible together with Tony.

Maybe Pop can develop Garino but he's going to have a learning curve similar to Danny's: at least 2 years till you can really trust him (didn't Danny spend his first season in the Cavs bench, then overseas and in dleague? yea like that.) And I don't know that Garino has the same feet as Danny. Danny guards short quick guards, point guards and stuff. Not sure Garino can do that. One would think Simmons with his athleticism could do it, but he doesn't have good defensive instincts and as much as some would tell us that requires no special talent, it does. Timing and instincts, anticipation, etc. Danny has them, Simmons does not.

I think Danny is really not a tradeable chip as long as the Spurs consider themselves as contenders for a championship. Now if they want to go on a mini rebuild, I guess anything goes. Including why not? Send out Manu to 76ers instead since they were crazy about signing him. (cue the trolls!!!!!!)
:troll

SAGirl
09-12-2016, 10:27 PM
I obviously do not know what Pop has in mind for Kawhi, and I think it is terrific that Kawhi has improved every facet of his game - including his ball-handling skill. However, the last thing I would like to see is Kawhi become a ball-dominant second-coming of Kobe. In fact, I am not sure I liked the direction of the offense after last Christmas. I do not personally like iso-ball, and I believe putting the ball more and more in Kawhi's hands came at a cost. Kawhi was leading the league in 3-point FG % for the first half of the season. As he handled the ball more, his 3-point FG% slipped. I would like to see the Spurs move the ball more and not go the way of iso-ball. I like that brand of basketball. I also think it is a mistake to sacrifice Kawhi's dead-eye 3-point shooting for iso two-point baskets. Personally, I would like to see Kawhi scoring primarily on 3-point shots, alley-oops and other assisted plays going to the basket; next, on PnRs; and then on his own isos. I also believe that increasing Kawhi's ball handling responsibility will diminish his energy on the defensive end.

I think Kawhobe is where we are heading. What did you think when Kobe said Pop asked him to mentor Kawhi? I thought Pop wanted Kawhi to have a black mamba mentality with the ball. Also, I read an article (I will have to dig it up if it interests you) where Pop said that the player Kawhi reminded him the most of is Kobe. Kawhi can sometimes go through straight up Kawhobe phases too with tunnel vision included and all. I don't think Pop wants the tunnel vision, but he probably does want Kawhi to handle the ball a lot more, and call his own number when he needs to. Otherwise results like what we saw against OKC would occur. There are articles (would have to be dug up, but they are out there) about how in the last minutes of the 4th Q in some of the OKC games Kawhi didn't touch the ball a single time for 3 or 4 consecutive possessions by which time the games were over. Kawhi has been developed as an off the ball player initially in a system, but it's going to be increasingly difficult to find him open or to set him up for shots when he's the leading scorer, once the playoffs start. He has to develop as a playmaker and scorer outside of the system for the playoffs situations. This is somewhat the current claim that some still sustain that he's a system player.

It's an interesting debate and I am not in the interest of attacking Kawhi at all, but as much hate as Tony generates among the Kawhi fans, Tony is needed for that system and it's now malfunctioning. It's not the same situation as Kyle for example, who played a whole lot better without Manu. I can tell he likes the ball and can make plays for other ppl because he's a passer first. Kawhi? Not so much. He can look for his own shots Kobe style. Maybe that is where the Spurs are headed.

Edit: I will have to clarify that Kawhobe is where I think we are heading with the Spurs standing pat with their guard situation. Kawhobe is probably better than Tony to close out games quite frankly. LMA is not a playmaker. Danny is not a playmaker, and there is Pau but why put the ball in Pau's hands when Kawhi is the best player. We have to realize Iso TD/post up TD was claimed to be very boring back in his day. It is what it is. Spurs offense has to be tailored to their best player. I am not sure I will like it either, Kawhi has to become a better playmaker and that is something even Pop has stated when describing other players that "he doesn't know whether that talent can even be coached." I will probably enjoy watching the bench a lot more.

dabom
09-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Kawhi LMA heavy ISO was because we the role players can't score. If they score at an acceptable clip, we don't need much ISOs. I see the idiot basketball player can't comprehend what's going on in their "own" team. :lmao.

Fathead can't score for shit. Garbage player. Ditch the Fathead.

gambit1990
09-16-2016, 04:39 AM
Kawhobe
that alone shows how little you know about basketball.

dabom
09-16-2016, 10:27 AM

She really doesn't understand basketball but has an input on everything. Ironic right? :lol

YGWHI
09-16-2016, 10:45 PM

Well, I'd like to see Kawhi with some Kobe "Lin,-get-the-fuck-out-of-my-way" attitude ...

Of course, it's not the Spurs' way. Also, Kawhi doesn't want to be hated by his teammates. He's more Duncan-style than Kobe's, but I would still love to have Kawhobe on my team.

dabom
09-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Well, I'd like to see Kawhi with some Kobe-get-the-fuck-out-of-my-way attitude ...

Of course, it's not the Spurs way, Kawhi doesn't want to be hated by his teammates, and he's more Duncan-style than Kobe's, but I would still love to have one Kawhobe on my team.

We got a PorkE instead. :lol

YGWHI
09-16-2016, 10:49 PM
We got a PorkE instead. :lol

Not sure if I should laugh or cry...

:cry :lol :cry :lol :cry

dabom
09-16-2016, 11:00 PM
:lol

Trueblood
09-19-2016, 10:26 AM
It really, really depends on whether PATFO (Pop and the Front Office-RC) consider the team in win now mode or they are taking a long term view. Trading Danny would take us out of immediate contender status IMO. The reason? Manu is on his retirement tour, and frankly ppl should be wishing at this point that he holds up for the season and reaches the post season in a better state than Tim did last season. Behind him is Simmons. I like the dude but he's a poor defender, he's fit to be a bench energy player, pushing the pace in transition, cutting etc, looking to score. The fact he doesn't defend well is a problem that makes him not a starter material. He's 27 entering the season, I think he's got limited potential from where he's at right now. He can play in the NBA, but he's not going to get a lot better.. What we see is probably about as good as it gets. He can probably limit his fouling by not reaching in (a huge problem for him was fouling) and make better decisions while he's on the court, but he's no defensive player. If you don't have Danny, Simmons starts and it will be horrible together with Tony.

Maybe Pop can develop Garino but he's going to have a learning curve similar to Danny's: at least 2 years till you can really trust him (didn't Danny spend his first season in the Cavs bench, then overseas and in dleague? yea like that.) And I don't know that Garino has the same feet as Danny. Danny guards short quick guards, point guards and stuff. Not sure Garino can do that. One would think Simmons with his athleticism could do it, but he doesn't have good defensive instincts and as much as some would tell us that requires no special talent, it does. Timing and instincts, anticipation, etc. Danny has them, Simmons does not.

I think Danny is really not a tradeable chip as long as the Spurs consider themselves as contenders for a championship. Now if they want to go on a mini rebuild, I guess anything goes. Including why not? Send out Manu to 76ers instead since they were crazy about signing him. (cue the trolls!!!!!!)
:troll

I agree that it's basically a win now move or a win later move. I am forever optimistic about the spurs but I have doubts about winning this year with GS and the Cavs playing at such a high level. I kinda feel like taking a step back for a few years may not be bad if it's better long term. Kawhi will still be in his prime, Murray will have time to develop and LA should still be hitting his jumper at a high rate. Combine that with a dominant force in the middle hitting his prime and i think we can make a run for 2-3 years. Add in LeBron will be a few years older and the salary cap and ego issues will catch up to GS and we would be in a really good spot for a run.

gambit1990
09-19-2016, 12:14 PM
There’s a solid chance that the Sixers will trade Noel or/and center Jahlil Okafor this season.
per philly.com.

if the 6ers were fine with offering manu a large amount... maybe they'd be willing to take parker?

SAGirl
09-19-2016, 01:08 PM
I agree that it's basically a win now move or a win later move. I am forever optimistic about the spurs but I have doubts about winning this year with GS and the Cavs playing at such a high level. I kinda feel like taking a step back for a few years may not be bad if it's better long term. Kawhi will still be in his prime, Murray will have time to develop and LA should still be hitting his jumper at a high rate. Combine that with a dominant force in the middle hitting his prime and i think we can make a run for 2-3 years. Add in LeBron will be a few years older and the salary cap and ego issues will catch up to GS and we would be in a really good spot for a run.

I get you. Several fans have argued for a mini rebuild too, some for a mini-tank (GSH was one, sasaint (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=12242) another, that I can recall at least). That's in the realm of judgment calls by RC. They are still trying to win a championship. They haven't raised the white flag. But we shall see how things are midseason and then next summer.

Chinook
09-19-2016, 02:06 PM
The problem is that Noel is not a future player, and Okafor is a worse version of Gasol. I'd've loved to have Noel as the starting center, but he's not likely to become much better than that, and right now, he's nowhere near worth both Green and Mills. I know he's still young and should get better, but to what extent? Absolute best case would be Ibaka, and an Ibaka three years from now isn't worth Green, let alone Mills, LET ALONE factoring in the increased salary.

Okafor is a fine offensive player with a potential to get better, but he's not where the league is going. You don't trade to have a third post-orient perimeter player. And this ignores that by the time Okafor is in his prime, Kawhi will be quite a bit older and will have essentially wasted a few good years "hoping for the future".

They just don't make sense. Guys like Covington, Holmes and Grant are much more realistic targets who should be able to fill their roles just as well as Noel or Okafor fill theirs.

SAGirl
09-19-2016, 03:40 PM
You emphasize the timing on guys careers Chinook and it's worth discussing. That thread someone posted of ESPN scouting on Spurs players emphasized to me the age of the team. Danny is 29, he's in win now mode. LMA is 31, that is also win right now territory. Kawhi is 25, he has time to compete several years, but he's really entering what should be some of the best years of his career right now. Spurs should do everything they can to take advantage of them. A lot of the rest of the team is very, very old which makes this team have a short shelf life b4 the Spurs have to reload and construct something different around Kawhi.

On the edge are several younger guys who could be among the guys to eventually surround Kawhi with in the Spurs of the future kind of thing. But these guys are in a different situation from Noel. As you point out Noel is still very young himself and potentially could still improve (specially bc bigs are known to continue to get a better feel for the game for several years and peak later than guards), but he will be expensive to keep this summer. The younger guys Spurs currently have developing for the Spurs' future are all very cheap at the moment and will remain so for the next couple of years. If one of them helps the team to such an extent that he commands a much higher salary in the coming years, that is to be decided at that time, but right now for the next couple of years, these guys are very cheap to keep and hopefully some can develop to more in the future. Noel will be expensive really soon at a point that he's still developing his game. Spurs have Milutinov too who they are maybe bringing in (again in a bargain rook contract) soon.

All of that matters. If they trade for Noel then they have to plan to pay him in the Summer and that means they likely aren't doing much more with the team at that time. (correct me if I am wrong, cap issues again are not my strength). Okafor has more time. I really don't have a strong opinion on him. He's definitely very young still and he wasn't placed in a position to be successful in Philly. I feel like Philly will want a big haul for him. (I don't think Mills is even in the picture, he's a FA this offseason. If I were Philly I wouldn't trade for Mills). It would be Danny, then maybe one of the rookies.

SAGirl
09-26-2016, 06:41 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20160926_Nerlens_Noel__Sixers_situation__doesn_t_m ake_any_sense_.html

Noel definitely wants out of Philly. He's respectful in his statement about the franchise and specially about his teammates, but he sounds fed up.

after three years of watching his team tank, after years of wondering how he fits in, Noel said Sunday he needs for his current situation to change.
"I think it's just silly . . . this situation that we are in now with three starting centers," Noel said on the eve of the Sixers' media day. "With the departure of [former general manager and president] Sam Hinkie, I would have figured that management would be able to get something done this summer."

The Sixers declined to comment on the matter.

"I think something needs to happen," Noel said.
Noel said that he's not asking to be traded or demanding that the Sixers trade someone else. He just wants them to hurry up and do the inevitable.
"I feel like it definitely needs to be figured out," he said. "I think at the end of the day, again, you have three starting-caliber centers. And it's just not going to work to anybody's advantage having that on the same team. That's how I'm looking at it. I'm not opposed to anything, but things need to be situated."

Noel said he wasn't speaking negatively about the team's other starting-caliber centers, Embiid and Jahlil Okafor. Nor was he speaking for them.
"Don't get me wrong. We all get along great on the court and off the court," Noel said. "But at the end of the day, it's like having three starting quarterbacks. It doesn't make any sense."
However, he was adamant that his feeling would not affect his performance.
"I'm here to do my job and play as hard as I can play for the city of Philadelphia," Noel said. "I've always loved the fans from the jump. It's probably one of the realest cities in the country with just genuine passion and love for the sport."

Noel's name came up in trade talks with the Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns, Atlanta Hawks, and Houston Rockets, according to sources. Another source said the Sixers were also in discussions with the Toronto Raptors and San Antonio Spurs.
Colangelo later denied that the team has been shopping the big men. He said that teams reached out to the Sixers about them.
"I know I was shopped," Noel said.
However, a source said that the Sixers turned down several offers for Noel.
Noel has experienced a lot of heartache during his tenure with the Sixers. He and Hollis Thompson are the only holdovers from the 2013-14 season. They compiled a 47-199 record over three seasons of tanking to acquire draft picks.
At this point in his career, Noel wants to be in a position to show what he can do. He wants to be on an established team.
"We've gone from zero and we are not at 100," Noel said. "We went from zero and things are still building here. . . . I think I sacrificed a lot. And at this point, there's really not too much that I'm capable of sacrificing."

Mal
09-26-2016, 06:52 AM
I wonder what was Spurs` package

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2016, 06:59 AM
The problem is that Noel is not a future player, and Okafor is a worse version of Gasol. I'd've loved to have Noel as the starting center, but he's not likely to become much better than that, and right now, he's nowhere near worth both Green and Mills. I know he's still young and should get better, but to what extent? Absolute best case would be Ibaka, and an Ibaka three years from now isn't worth Green, let alone Mills, LET ALONE factoring in the increased salary.

Okafor is a fine offensive player with a potential to get better, but he's not where the league is going. You don't trade to have a third post-orient perimeter player. And this ignores that by the time Okafor is in his prime, Kawhi will be quite a bit older and will have essentially wasted a few good years "hoping for the future".

They just don't make sense. Guys like Covington, Holmes and Grant are much more realistic targets who should be able to fill their roles just as well as Noel or Okafor fill theirs.

It would be stupid for the Spurs to trade the best defensive SG in the league for another big. Makes no sense to deplete your quality wing depth to add on another C after the Spurs just signed Gasol and Dedmon. Wings have much higher value these days and good ones are getting much harder to find. For all the warts Danny has, Spurs desperately need him with the way the league is perimieter oriented now -- especially on the defensive end.

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2016, 07:02 AM
The guy I want from Philly is Covington. Have wanted him for over a year now. Covington was the best one on one defender in the league last year by advanced metrics.

I'd be willing to trade Kyle Anderson for him in an even swap.

Chinook
09-26-2016, 07:10 AM
The guy I want from Philly is Covington. Have wanted him for over a year now. Covington was the best one on one defender in the league last year by advanced metrics.

I don't think Philly is wiling to trade for another point-combo-forward. But Covington is a fine target. Before the Lee signing, mine would've been Grant. Even now, I'd totally swap Simmons for him.

BillMc
09-26-2016, 07:18 AM
It would be stupid for the Spurs to trade the best defensive SG in the league for another big. Makes no sense to deplete your quality wing depth to add on another C after the Spurs just signed Gasol and Dedmon. Wings have much higher value these days and good ones are getting much harder to find. For all the warts Danny has, Spurs desperately need him with the way the league is perimieter oriented now -- especially on the defensive end.

Agreed.

Chinook
09-26-2016, 07:20 AM
I wonder what was Spurs` package

My guess is they were offering picks and prospects during the off-season when they had cap space to just absorb Noel outright. I think after they committed to the possibility of Pau being on the books for $16 Million next summer, they weren't going to go for Noel.

SAGirl
09-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Anderson's advanced stats were beyond decent as well, but I won't shove him down anyone's throat. Dude has to show what he has this season.

Chillen
09-26-2016, 08:15 AM
Spurs will probably stand pat, no trades till trade deadline. It's not like they can really do anything to counter the fact that the Warriors pretty much have an all-star team assembled right now.

gambit1990
09-26-2016, 12:10 PM
i hope some team is interested in parker...

TheGreatYacht
09-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Ben Simmons for Kawhobe. Straight up. Pull the trigger RC