PDA

View Full Version : Will Pop let his players kneel during the anthem?

cd98
09-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Lame thread time until season starts. I'm curious on this. We have a diverse roster. Surely someone is down with BLM. Would Pop let them kneel? He's a military guy and the military has such a high respect for those things. But Pop is liberal and generally supports these kind of things vocally. I wonder where he stands on this. Surely he would never kneel, but is he ok with his players doing it? Especially Ina military city like San Antonio?

DJR210
09-16-2016, 08:29 AM
The only "hood black" the Spurs have is maybe Jonathan Simmons..

:lol at a team of uncle tom's kneeling during the anthem

FromWayDowntown
09-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Pop invited Dr. John Carlos to come speak with the team last year. (http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/san-antonio-spurs-john-carlos-gregg-popovich-100515)

I think he's certainly not averse a person expressing his or her conscience during flag salutes.

09-16-2016, 09:00 AM
I stopped pledging the allegiance around 8th grade. Never thought it was a big deal until this whole Kap situation.

:lol people actually care about trivial things like pledging allegiance?

Solid D
09-16-2016, 09:49 AM
Probably so, but I think he would remind his players of the importance of "team over individual" and the strong support and presence of the US Armed Forces. It's a good question and may still be a "thing" to do in a month or so, but if this ever starts to turn into a more violent black citizens vs white citizens issue by contrived influences, I think Pop would be outspoken against it.

Phenomanul
09-16-2016, 10:07 AM
IMHO the U.S. flag doesn't represent all of the evils in our nation. It is incorrect to suggest that premise or even imply it as Colin haphazardly did. The Nazi flag, yes - it represented oppression - it represented prejudice and Aryan superiority. The U.S. Flag however, represents freedoms and promotes a way of thinking in which EVERYONE is valued - the whole "rights endowed by our CREATOR" bit...

That historically speaking, ignorant bigoted people have opposed those GOD-given rights doesn't mean that our Constitution is at fault... I'm all for holding any rogue police officers or public servants ACCOUNTABLE for their crimes. But wearing socks that depict police officers as pigs or blasting music that insults our authorities is not the answer. Making generalizations at large about public servants such as police officers won't put an end to their generalizations about minority groups. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I get Colin's concern... it is one shared by many people. But why challenge the flag? This is where I respectfully disagree with the BLM crowd, and it stems from a fundamental difference in perspective and an inherent misunderstanding of our system of government on their part.

"The flag is American and therefore represents all that is America" gets thrown around all willy nilly <--- and I simply don't agree with this statement at all. The flag can't possibly embody every free will choice its citizens make. America doesn't stand for murderers even though there are murders amongst its population, it doesn't stand for rapists, or pedophiles, or thieves, or arsonists etc... Yes, those evils exist in every corner of the world, including the grand ol' United States of America - but they predate our country by millennia. Just because we have the freedom and option to "do what is good" doesn't mean that the freedom "to do what is bad" is a state sanctioned ordeal. That history rightfully shames the actions of corrupt men who abused their power to do abominable deeds doesn't automatically mean that they were fundamentally tied to the framework upon which our Constitution was built.

America (and symbolically speaking its ever evolving flag) represents the ideals of our Constitution - the transcendental pact between the governed and those who are elected to do the governing - it represents a document which expounds the very virtues of equality as people. That the founding fathers failed to completely grasp the gravitas of our GOD given rights doesn't mean that the document itself is somehow flawed or at fault. For example, that very same document was used as the ultimate equalizer when it came to the abolition of slavery (by president Lincoln), and later by the women's suffrage movement (Susan B. Anthony used the very language of the Constitution to frame her own arguments) - because it revealed the inherent flaws in believing that anyone was superior to his or her fellow man (regardless of age / sex / quality). The language of the Constitution was ahead of its time and even ridiculous clauses such as the 3/5ths compromise were ultimately purged out when the original language of the Constitution was allowed to prevail.

As for the flag flying in the name of atrocities... I don't see the logic in pinning that on the flag... Again, I believe in the concept of accountability and the men or women responsible for heinous acts should be held accountable for them - because those acts are exposed by the Constitution itself. Remember it was a version of the American flag which also flew across the nation in the name of freedom as brother fought against brother in the struggle to bring an end to slavery. Likewise, it has flown across the world and triumphed in the struggle against tyranny. Some mention the lyrics of the National Anthem (which wasn't adopted until 1931 even though it was written in 1814) as being held in contempt for the hypocrisy of many who sing it. Again, to lambast the Anthem itself by disrespecting what it stands for simply because not everyone expounds its virtues is a misplaced attack... Coincidently, I had the opportunity of singing our National Anthem at a sporting event recently. It's difficult not to get choked up when thinking about what it represents. That's why Colin's recent actions have irked me the wrong way. That doesn't mean that I'm any less compassionate towards those that have been wronged unjustly by the authorities. Kaepernick actions somehow imply that those that do participate in the celebration of our flag or our country are complicit with the criminals who abused their place of authority to "get away with murder". It's therefore insulting to suggest that our patriotism somehow is coddling and protecting the injustices committed by rogue criminals.

To challenge the American flag hence, with civil protest because of some misplaced belief that it somehow represents the abuse of police power - illustrates a serious disconnect on the part of the protestors with our system of government. Police Departments are locally managed infrastructures - they aren't managed by the Federal Government (and hence the jurisdiction of the American flag). In other words, they need to protest their local and state authorities on a case by case basis. Protesting the U.S. flag is nonsensical.

Phenomanul
09-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Probably so, but I think he would remind his players of the importance of "team over individual" and the strong support and presence of the US Armed Forces. It's a good question and may still be a "thing" to do in a month or so, but if this ever starts to turn into a more violent black citizens vs white citizens issue by contrived influences, I think Pop would be outspoken against it.

I agree with this.

FromWayDowntown
09-16-2016, 10:37 AM
America (and symbolically speaking its ever evolving flag) represents the ideals of our Constitution - the transcendental pact between the governed and those who are elected to do the governing - it represents a document which expounds the very virtues of equality as people.

If you're a believer that the constitutional pact has not been fulfilled -- at least not for all -- and that some of the governed are (in some instances) actually being oppressed rather than realizing actual equality, it would seem absolutely appropriate to protest the very symbol that, as you say, represents that a promise of equality that has not been met.

You can dispute the underlying premise if you wish; I'm not here to say that it is or isn't true. But Kaepernick and many others certainly would dispute that all Americans are privy to the "equality as people" that the Constitution strives to ensure.

As I've said before, Kaepernick's protest is not the route that I might have chosen to make a point, but it is quintessentially American precisely because it involves the flag. And because so many have gotten up in arms about it, Kaepernick has kept his protests in the news for much longer than he could have if the whole world just ignored what he was doing.

cd98
09-16-2016, 11:12 AM
While I think there are legit gripes raised by BLM, I kind of feel like they are focusing on symptoms of the deeper problems and not a cure for the deeper problems. And the kneeling during the pledge, which I think is much better than just simply sitting, also fails to foster any conversation about the deeper problems, but instead turns into an us versus them debate on whether or not the kneelers disrespect the flag, military, etc. Just seems like it is raising controversy for controversy's sake and not really fixing the problems that lead to police targeting/profling the community. I'm curious to see Pop's take though not sure we'll hear it.

GSH
09-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Pop won't tell them not to. I doubt that he would even discourage anyone from doing it.

My one and only complaint is that if a Spurs player decided to use his celebrity status (while wearing a Spurs jersey) to promote some other ideas, it would be detrimental to his career with the Spurs. If a player decided to make a Nazi salute during the Anthem, he would be gone. At the very least, the team would say that he has the right to express himself, but not while wearing a Spurs' jersey. So it's not all about the right to expression. If you even suggest that the team would tolerate some white supremacist symbol as "expression", you're either lying or a fool. And if the team is going to pick and choose, they should probably limit political commentary to an off-the-court activity. "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it... but when you say it wearing one of our jerseys, it looks like you're speaking for the team, and not just for yourself."

The NBA should say one of two things:
"Start a blog. Put it on your Facebook page. Do some media interviews. Spend some of your money to take out newspaper ads. Say whatever you want, but keep it off the court."
Or... "We welcome all courtside expressions in the NBA, even the ones we detest."
And everybody knows that the league isn't going to sanction the latter.

tmtcsc
09-16-2016, 11:27 AM
I stopped pledging the allegiance around 8th grade. Never thought it was a big deal until this whole Kap situation.

:lol people actually care about trivial things like pledging allegiance?

This isn't about the pledge of allegiance, this about the National Anthem. All this drama NEVER started with good intentions by a concerned African American athlete. This whole "kneeling" thing began as nothing more than a childish, petulant move to express disdain for the United States, the flag and what the flag "supposedly" represents. Only after he received backlash and negative commentary from those who serve in the military did he start his positive PR campaign. Now he's some sort of Blank Panther, Nat - X wannabe. The dude is an ignoramus.

His reasoning began to expand from BLM / Law Enforcement issues to a bigger social question about equality. How noble! What a fucking joke. Other gullible athletes are now joining him in what amounts to a middle finger at the flag.

Like it or not, this is our country, and there's much more to like. It's not perfect but I think the there is so much more to appreciate and love about living here than to just act out negatively. To his credit, his reps said he donated $1,000,000 somewhere. Who knows if that ever happened or ever will happen? Who follows up on that stuff?

Fifteen years ago David Robinson, a proud military veteran and world-class athlete, recognized the need to contribute to the betterment of his community. He helped establish the Carver Academy - a school that serves to educate "a socio-economically and culturally diverse student population, grades pre-kindergarten through sixth." According to its mission statement, the Carver Academy concentrates "not only on academic subjects but also on children’s social, emotional, physical and spiritual needs as well. The intention of the school is to develop a well-rounded child."

David Robinson used to stand at full attention during the anthem. This is how he pays homage to the same country that offered the freedom to pursue a lucrative career in sports. THAT'S HOW YOU FUCKING DO IT.

dabom
09-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Spurs don't like distractions. I mean pop started benching boban after he started getting "attention". :lol

peacemaker885
09-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Kaepernick is doing the walk. He's donating money and giving his time. Method may not appeal to everyone but it sure did bring a lot of talk and action.

This is a free country last time I looked.

maverick1948
09-16-2016, 12:10 PM
I can answer your question with a single word. NO!!!

Ever heard of biting the hand that feeds you? In SA that would be what a player kneeling would be doing. If it costs the Spurs money you can bet you bottom dollar that they will correct the player or trade him fast. That would include almost every player on the team. I dont think Simmons would do it because the Spurs have given him a career as a role/bench player who will soon qualify for pension from the NBA. Making a million a year is better than making a million every 20 years. None of the European players will refuse to stand for NA, they will not be held to the standard of an American player on the Spurs. They will only be asked to stand. There will be a classy team on the court for the Spurs or they won't be on the floor.

BackHome
09-16-2016, 02:18 PM
My old Drill Sgt used to say you have the right to express yourself. But don't be surprised if someone knocks the shit out you for your expression ������

Chucho
09-16-2016, 02:26 PM
The only "hood black" the Spurs have is maybe Jonathan Simmons..

:lol at a team of uncle tom's kneeling during the anthem

An Uncle Tom would be doing what elitist Whites expect of them, in this case, kneeling during the anthem. Kap is a fashionable Uncle Tom and all of the followers aren't, but still Uncle Toms all the same.

HarlemHeat37
09-16-2016, 02:58 PM
:lmao no..

Pop is a liberal, sure, but the Spurs generally stay away from outspoken, anti-establishment Blacks, especially if they fit the flashy stereotype that applies to the majority of young NBA millionaires..I love Pop, but as a Black man, it's easy to see what type of people he surrounds himself with from a basketball standpoint(the type that won't cause distraction and bother the target demographic)..

It's especially dangerous in Texas, of course..look no further than the posters on SpursTalk:lol

I'll never understand the pride that White Americans feel for a song and a flag, tbh..too much military fetishism, as well..it's embarrassing..

HarlemHeat37
09-16-2016, 03:05 PM
The outrage over this issue has been incomprehensible, too..all this anger over a 2nd-string QB on an irrelevant team that exercised his right to peacefully protest against a symbolic song:lol

There needs to be a PR rep for the entire body of White coaches, btw:lol..that college coach, John Torterella and Tony Larussa have completely embarrassed themselves with their public stupidity, tbh..only surpassed by the legions of people that agree with their comments..

:(Black on Black crime:(
:(but they make millions!!:(
:(the soldiers die for you:(

GSH
09-16-2016, 04:36 PM
I'll never understand the pride that White Americans feel for a song and a flag, tbh..too much military fetishism, as well..it's embarrassing..

Oh, horseshit... you fucking understand it, because Canadians do the same fucking thing. You just enjoy America-bashing and white-bashing. You're entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts, you fucking racist hypocrite.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/24/russia-fined-85000-for-leaving-ice-before-canadas-anthem-at-hockey-worlds-ceremony
http://www.themanitoban.com/2014/10/true-north-deserves-shout-anthem/21322/
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/canadian-national-anthem-all-lives-matter-change-1.3676477

It's only been a few months since Dwayne Wade caused a shitstorm for shooting jumpers during O Canada.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/dwyane-wade-o-canada-1.3572578

Oh, and the fact that you don't understand doesn't mean shit. You see EVERYTHING through a fucked up lens, so there's a lot you don't understand. I hate fucking racists, and you're just as bad as the damned skinheads on the other end of the spectrum.

apalisoc_9
09-16-2016, 04:37 PM
If I was American, I wouldnt stop at what Kapernick do..I'd burn that POS flag.

These freaking soldiers have been killing innocent people in Iraq and Afganistan. First on a fake war..fucking Bush.

America ia a terrorsit country..

UNT Eagles 2016
09-16-2016, 05:27 PM

These freaking soldiers have been killing innocent people in Iraq and Afganistan. First on a fake war..fucking Bush.

If you were American, I'd forward your IP address to President Trump and he'd have you tracked down by NSA, incarcerated and waterboarded.

ducks
09-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Kaepernick is doing the walk. He's donating money and giving his time. Method may not appeal to everyone but it sure did bring a lot of talk and action.

did not do his time before has only used the 49ers time so far

one could say he is only doing it to get pussy from his girlfriend

cd98
09-16-2016, 05:34 PM

I'm just glad I finally saw a post from you that didn't mention Porker.

emmo
09-16-2016, 05:37 PM
IMHO the U.S. flag doesn't represent all of the evils in our nation. It is incorrect to suggest that premise or even imply it as Colin haphazardly did. The Nazi flag, yes - it represented oppression - it represented prejudice and Aryan superiority. The U.S. Flag however, represents freedoms and promotes a way of thinking in which EVERYONE is valued - the whole "rights endowed by our CREATOR" bit...

That historically speaking, ignorant bigoted people have opposed those GOD-given rights doesn't mean that our Constitution is at fault... I'm all for holding any rogue police officers or public servants ACCOUNTABLE for their crimes. But wearing socks that depict police officers as pigs or blasting music that insults our authorities is not the answer. Making generalizations at large about public servants such as police officers won't put an end to their generalizations about minority groups. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I get Colin's concern... it is one shared by many people. But why challenge the flag? This is where I respectfully disagree with the BLM crowd, and it stems from a fundamental difference in perspective and an inherent misunderstanding of our system of government on their part.

"The flag is American and therefore represents all that is America" gets thrown around all willy nilly <--- and I simply don't agree with this statement at all. The flag can't possibly embody every free will choice its citizens make. America doesn't stand for murderers even though there are murders amongst its population, it doesn't stand for rapists, or pedophiles, or thieves, or arsonists etc... Yes, those evils exist in every corner of the world, including the grand ol' United States of America - but they predate our country by millennia. Just because we have the freedom and option to "do what is good" doesn't mean that the freedom "to do what is bad" is a state sanctioned ordeal. That history rightfully shames the actions of corrupt men who abused their power to do abominable deeds doesn't automatically mean that they were fundamentally tied to the framework upon which our Constitution was built.

America (and symbolically speaking its ever evolving flag) represents the ideals of our Constitution - the transcendental pact between the governed and those who are elected to do the governing - it represents a document which expounds the very virtues of equality as people. That the founding fathers failed to completely grasp the gravitas of our GOD given rights doesn't mean that the document itself is somehow flawed or at fault. For example, that very same document was used as the ultimate equalizer when it came to the abolition of slavery (by president Lincoln), and later by the women's suffrage movement (Susan B. Anthony used the very language of the Constitution to frame her own arguments) - because it revealed the inherent flaws in believing that anyone was superior to his or her fellow man (regardless of age / sex / quality). The language of the Constitution was ahead of its time and even ridiculous clauses such as the 3/5ths compromise were ultimately purged out when the original language of the Constitution was allowed to prevail.

As for the flag flying in the name of atrocities... I don't see the logic in pinning that on the flag... Again, I believe in the concept of accountability and the men or women responsible for heinous acts should be held accountable for them - because those acts are exposed by the Constitution itself. Remember it was a version of the American flag which also flew across the nation in the name of freedom as brother fought against brother in the struggle to bring an end to slavery. Likewise, it has flown across the world and triumphed in the struggle against tyranny. Some mention the lyrics of the National Anthem (which wasn't adopted until 1931 even though it was written in 1814) as being held in contempt for the hypocrisy of many who sing it. Again, to lambast the Anthem itself by disrespecting what it stands for simply because not everyone expounds its virtues is a misplaced attack... Coincidently, I had the opportunity of singing our National Anthem at a sporting event recently. It's difficult not to get choked up when thinking about what it represents. That's why Colin's recent actions have irked me the wrong way. That doesn't mean that I'm any less compassionate towards those that have been wronged unjustly by the authorities. Kaepernick actions somehow imply that those that do participate in the celebration of our flag or our country are complicit with the criminals who abused their place of authority to "get away with murder". It's therefore insulting to suggest that our patriotism somehow is coddling and protecting the injustices committed by rogue criminals.

To challenge the American flag hence, with civil protest because of some misplaced belief that it somehow represents the abuse of police power - illustrates a serious disconnect on the part of the protestors with our system of government. Police Departments are locally managed infrastructures - they aren't managed by the Federal Government (and hence the jurisdiction of the American flag). In other words, they need to protest their local and state authorities on a case by case basis. Protesting the U.S. flag is nonsensical.

TLDR

spurs1990
09-16-2016, 06:09 PM
No player on the Spurs roster will participate.....Jonathan Simmons, the new kid from UW, whoever.

Spurs don't get involved in controversy, and this flag protest thing certainly fits that bill, regardless of how its proponents want to paint it.

Off the court they may make statements but I just don't see it carrying over to this organization, tbh.

tonight...you
09-16-2016, 06:33 PM
TLDR
Too bad. It was a good read. Although I do enjoy willful ignorance being displayed with pride by others... makes me feel warm and fuzzy about my contemporaries.

So... good show?

spurs10
09-16-2016, 07:40 PM
I don't think he will 'let' them do anything. You can't force people to stand during the National Anthem. That being said it doesn't seem likely that someone would draw attention to themselves in that manner while on the Spurs roster. It's very un- Spurs like.

dabom
09-16-2016, 08:00 PM
I don't think he will 'let' them do anything. You can't force people to stand during the National Anthem. That being said it doesn't seem likely that someone would draw attention to themselves in that manner while on the Spurs roster. It's very un- Spurs like.

This is the most likely outcome. NBA players make TOO much money. Even the role players don't wanna fuck up a future contract. Lebron already said he doesn't agree with the method. And the Spurs FO is all about culture tolerance, but I doubt anyone wanna draw that type or any type of attention to themselves.

Dex
09-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Kneeling by a bunch of fucking overpaid athletes does absolutely nothing tbh. I understand they are trying to use their position of power to make a point, but let's be serious...

None of the corrupted cops are going to watch that and say...."damn, maybe I should stop being a bigoted asshole because these football players don't want to pledge allegiance anymore".

The problem is a lot bigger and more systemic than that. All this does is just disrespect the values that the United States stands for.

spurs10
09-16-2016, 08:40 PM
This is the most likely outcome. NBA players make TOO much money. Even the role players don't wanna fuck up a future contract. Lebron already said he doesn't agree with the method. And the Spurs FO is all about culture tolerance, but I doubt anyone wanna draw that type or any type of attention to themselves. Yep!

Perry Mason
09-16-2016, 09:42 PM
This thread needs historical perspective. The anthem and the pledge are not American in a traditional sense. They are statist garbage, and the Founders would have had none of it.

American ideals were derived from classical liberalism. Classical liberalism is totally incompatible with fealty oaths and idolatry that treat the state or flag like a religious icon.

The pledge was created in the 20th century by a socialist progressive with a lust for centralized power. He and his ilk hate Christians, traditions, mercy, charity and private initiative. They love the State and anointed themselves as the proper rulers. Their direct aim was to adapt military organizational forms to the greater society. Less individual initiative, more service to the state.

The anthem is a gross military poem about blowing things up. The tune of the song is an old British drinking song. It's ridiculous. At sporting events they omit this line: "No refuge could save the hireling and slave. From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave". So basically kill everyone, include (black) slaves and serfs, because...Murica'.

I love my nation and its people, but I strongly urge my fellow men and women to not conflate nation and state. They are not the same. America is great because of the ideas of classical liberalism and its legacy, not any damn flag.

I leave you with the words of Sam Adams. This is not a man that would "stand for the anthem" like a sheep.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

tonight...you
09-16-2016, 09:49 PM
This is the most likely outcome. NBA players make TOO much money. Even the role players don't wanna fuck up a future contract. Lebron already said he doesn't agree with the method. And the Spurs FO is all about culture tolerance, but I doubt anyone wanna draw that type or any type of attention to themselves.
Good call bud. Like... mostly.

tonight...you
09-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Lmao cloth noise and gestures
Then the rubbings and moanings... nobody wants that. #AmIright?

YGWHI
09-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Probably so, but I think he would remind his players of the importance of "team over individual" and the strong support and presence of the US Armed Forces.

Especially in Texas. We're talking about the San Antonio Spurs, he would remind them that the team represents the city...and the fam of the military bases, too.

spurs1990
09-16-2016, 10:43 PM
That's why Colin's recent actions have irked me the wrong way. That doesn't mean that I'm any less compassionate towards those that have been wronged unjustly by the authorities. Kaepernick actions somehow imply that those that do participate in the celebration of our flag or our country are complicit with the criminals who abused their place of authority to "get away with murder". It's therefore insulting to suggest that our patriotism somehow is coddling and protecting the injustices committed by rogue criminals.

I don't believe these statements ring true. These incidents involving police shooting "unarmed" black males are extremely rare. Secondarily each of them have been thoroughly scrutinized internally by the both respective police units and federal entities. In all but a handful the actions of the officers were deemed wholly justified.

What you have is the media creating a firestorm deliberately because it suits their political leanings, the very reason why we don't hear of any white criminals meeting similar ends as their black counterparts. And as we all know these events certainly occur (300 or so annually).
Rest assure you can go down the list of the major cases that have gotten the most coverage, and each 'victim' had an arrest record - in the case of the NYC fellow a tally of over 30 arrests.

It's a very fabricated movement.

They can't even vocalize what exactly they are protesting - first it's a cry against white racism in police actions towards AAs...but then when it's black officers involved in the shootings (3 out of the 6 officers in the Freddy Gray shooting were black), the call is against police brutality.

Then they're tying it to macro level issues like poverty, lack of education and employment, and overall dissatisfaction in black communities.

I mean huh? What do they want done? Who needs to shoulder the cost? Why isn't the current leader of the executive branch taking a hands on role in facing these issues?

I',m also of the opinion these last two years have done more harm and created more craters for further bigotry towards the individuals/groups who are protesting. It's extremely unfortunate because on a daily basis in real life, I don't see any of the antagonism, anger, or frustration in my encounters. That's the real tragedy.

Actually scratch that...the tragedy is that 8 officers were gunned down in July by two zealots driven by the manufactured angst. It's a damn shame everyone has already forgotten about those shootings.

I very much hope the NBA won't be inundated with what pro football is evidently on the verge of facing.
If so, the league is going to turn off a lot of its paying customers.

Birn
09-16-2016, 11:08 PM
There is a whole chunk of American society who buy into the narrative that says that the United States is not a great country, that our ideals and our Constitution somehow fail to live up to some idealized image of the way things should be. I'm sorry, but even with all of our problems, this republic still offers the greatest hope for decent self governance, our Bill of Rights is still the envy of many people the world over, and our system of checks and balances continues to serve us well. That should be reason enough to stand during the playing of the national anthem; Kaepernick and the copy cats should be thankful they live in a society which tolerates their stupidity.

I truly doubt any Spurs player will jump on this silly bandwagon. The Spurs organization is unique in that every individual from the players to the front office administration are mostly selfless and serving people who are focused on one thing - Winning. Anytime someone is brought in that goes out of their way to draw attention to themselves they usually don't last very long.

I don't think Pop has to say anything to them about this issue. He knows what kind of people his players are and they're intelligent enough to understand that kneeling during the anthem is one of the single dumbest things they could ever do as an individual. Pop and the players know full well that everyone has different opinions on a variety of issues and they are free to express themselves. However, doing it by trolling the whole nation while the anthem is being played is just utterly stupid. It also sends a message to your opponent that your focus is elsewhere and you're not really ready to play.
It also sends a message to other GM's around the league that you seek attention to yourself that can be a distraction to the team and community. So, I really don't expect any of our guys to be kneeling.

By the time the NBA season arrives, this whole kneeling fad will most likely fade away. If these athletes just want to "keep the conversation going", then have a weekly press conference so we can hear if you have anything substantive to discuss. The fact is that they are incapable of saying anything with depth and substance. They kneel because it's fashionable and gives them a little cred in the BLM community. Realistically, how long do they keep kneeling? Do they do it for the entire season with all the media scrutiny and fan scrutiny following them around for 82 games? At some point, teammates and front office people will grow tired of the sideshow and distractions that come with it.

My guess is Pop encourages all of his players to have strong beliefs and convictions as long as they don't distract from the team's mission of competing for a championship.

mbass
09-16-2016, 11:59 PM
This isn't about the pledge of allegiance, this about the National Anthem. All this drama NEVER started with good intentions by a concerned African American athlete. This whole "kneeling" thing began as nothing more than a childish, petulant move to express disdain for the United States, the flag and what the flag "supposedly" represents. Only after he received backlash and negative commentary from those who serve in the military did he start his positive PR campaign. Now he's some sort of Blank Panther, Nat - X wannabe. The dude is an ignoramus.

His reasoning began to expand from BLM / Law Enforcement issues to a bigger social question about equality. How noble! What a fucking joke. Other gullible athletes are now joining him in what amounts to a middle finger at the flag.

Like it or not, this is our country, and there's much more to like. It's not perfect but I think the there is so much more to appreciate and love about living here than to just act out negatively. To his credit, his reps said he donated $1,000,000 somewhere. Who knows if that ever happened or ever will happen? Who follows up on that stuff?

Fifteen years ago David Robinson, a proud military veteran and world-class athlete, recognized the need to contribute to the betterment of his community. He helped establish the Carver Academy - a school that serves to educate "a socio-economically and culturally diverse student population, grades pre-kindergarten through sixth." According to its mission statement, the Carver Academy concentrates "not only on academic subjects but also on children’s social, emotional, physical and spiritual needs as well. The intention of the school is to develop a well-rounded child."

David Robinson used to stand at full attention during the anthem. This is how he pays homage to the same country that offered the freedom to pursue a lucrative career in sports. THAT'S HOW YOU FUCKING DO IT.
[/I]

I am really glad that you brought up and compared the actions of David Robinson to the athlete in the present situation. David Robinson saw a societal ill and put his money and heart into a solution to the problem of inner city educational opportunities. He put his principles into action. Too bad that Kaep is too immature and selfish to do the same. 1 million is a drop in the bucket - he should use 1/2 of his fabulous salary to improve the lives of those less fortunate - then perhaps what he does will have an effect. He is a total jerk and a hypocrite.

mbass
09-17-2016, 12:02 AM

Disagree - 1 million bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to his 110M contract - he needs to walk the walk and put a decent percentage of his fabulous fortune on the line - he is all mouth and no action - a total hypocrite.

DMC
09-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Pop doesn't care what they do. That's RC's problem. Pop cares what happens after the tip off.

dbestpro
09-17-2016, 12:46 PM
The outrage over this issue has been incomprehensible, too..all this anger over a 2nd-string QB on an irrelevant team that exercised his right to peacefully protest against a symbolic song:lol

There needs to be a PR rep for the entire body of White coaches, btw:lol..that college coach, John Torterella and Tony Larussa have completely embarrassed themselves with their public stupidity, tbh..only surpassed by the legions of people that agree with their comments..

:(Black on Black crime:(
:(but they make millions!!:(
:(the soldiers die for you:(

The issue aside, if there are legions of people who agree then the PR must be pretty good. Also, I do believe that the players are required to stand for the anthem by the NBA, and could be fined otherwise. The same goes for the Canadian anthem.

J_Paco
09-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Kneeling by a bunch of fucking overpaid athletes does absolutely nothing tbh. I understand they are trying to use their position of power to make a point, but let's be serious...

None of the corrupted cops are going to watch that and say...."damn, maybe I should stop being a bigoted asshole because these football players don't want to pledge allegiance anymore".

The problem is a lot bigger and more systemic than that. All this does is just disrespect the values that the United States stands for.

Boom goes the dynamite.

These athletes need to use their "power" and influence in areas and communities where these atrocities are occuring. People need to either elect or run themselves under platforms that address these many issues. Change needs to happen at the federal, legalislative, judicial and state level not on a football field.

I doubt a Spurs would do this exact thing, but I also doub Pop would stop someone if they did. Like Dex said, these issues are much bigger and complex than kneeling during the national anthem. I understand the symbolic gesture, but that doesn't help change the systemic issues used to oppress and subjugate minorities.

I disagree with Kapernick's methods, but he has every right to express himself and respect that he's at least trying to bring attention to these matters.

exstatic
09-17-2016, 01:49 PM
An Uncle Tom would be doing what elitist Whites expect of them, in this case, kneeling during the anthem. Kap is a fashionable Uncle Tom and all of the followers aren't, but still Uncle Toms all the same.

You're a dumbass. A Tom doesn't cause ANY controversy. Massa wouldn't like that. Toms are Oreos, black on the outside white on the inside. Not everyone standing is a Tom, but all of the Toms ARE standing.

Birn
09-17-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm going to be real curious to see what these idiots do when they play in Toronto. Do they sit for both anthems or just the US anthem? If they sit for the US anthem but stand for the Canadian anthem out of "respect" then they are even more stupid and hypocritical than I first thought. This so called "silent protest" over this alleged "victimization of blacks by police" grossly pales in comparison to cops who are attacked, shot at and killed every day while in the line of duty. Like 99% of athletes and fair-minded people, we stand for the anthem in support of these heroes and many others like them who sacrifice and fight to keep our country and communities safe everyday.

Kaepernick says his protest is not about any personal grievance. To quote a famous Saturday Night Live character,” Isn’t that special!” The “BLM” campaign against police brutality reminds me of the bank robber who lodged a lawsuit against Smith and Wesson because his gun misfired. It is based on the Big Lie of the fictional “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot!” non-event in Ferguson, Missouri.

One big lie begets another, so now we have that Ferguson “hands up” mythology being given respectability by athletes before a national TV audience, cheerleading from the sidelines by the ESPN network, and a growing list of sports celebrities joining the pile-on. Congratulations, Kaepernick: Fidel Castro and Joseph Goebbels would be proud of your propaganda achievement.

Most team owners and managers are supporting athletes' “right” to interject politics into professional sports; the sports media are hailing them for their "courage"; and sports fans everywhere are just fed up with it all. A boycott of the NFL is unnecessary, because it is committing suicide. What is great about professional sports is that it is a strong unifying force in a divided nation. Now they want to bring those same divisions into the stadium? That’s really stupid. Just remember how unifying it was when the Spurs won their titles - the ENTIRE community coming together to celebrate and rejoice regardless of socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, political affiliation or financial status. It is one of the most beautiful moments that sports brings to us.

Now the NFL is not only tolerating the politicization of the game, it has now gone a step further by announcing a suspension of the rules against displaying personal political statements on players’ uniforms for the 13th game of the season in early December. This cowardly move only adds fuel to the smoldering fire: as surely as the Super Bowl follows the World Series, it will lead to a further politicization of professional sports. KEEP POLITICS AND SOCIAL ISSUES OUT OF OUR SPORTS! We watch sports as an outlet from a messed up world so we can get away from all that crap.

To be clear, the public outcry and dissent over Kaepernick’s antics has nothing to do with his “rights” because no one is suggesting he does not have the same right as every American citizen to express his political views. Everyone has the right to be ignorant and stupid. His right to be an idiot doesn't preclude someone else's right to be openly critical of him and others who participate in this charade. The anger and disappointment expressed by sports fans and millions of others is about his juvenile exhibitionism and inappropriate behavior in disrespecting the symbol of national pride, bravery and freedom itself –our national anthem.

Chucho
09-17-2016, 04:27 PM
You're a dumbass. A Tom doesn't cause ANY controversy. Massa wouldn't like that. Toms are Oreos, black on the outside white on the inside. Not everyone standing is a Tom, but all of the Toms ARE standing.

No, you're a dipshit. Kap is King Uncle Tom and his followers seeking their 20 seconds of relevance are weak-as-shit sheep Uncle Toms. Massa wants them to stand up do retards and fuckwits like you continue to pay afttention to these in-the-grand-scheme-of-things-totally-pointless Uncle Toms so you don't pay attention to what Massa is really doing.

Seems like you dont have a handle on who Massa really is. In this instance, Im Massa because I just owned your dumb ass.

spurs1990
09-19-2016, 09:56 AM
What is great about professional sports is that it is a strong unifying force in a divided nation. Now they want to bring those same divisions into the stadium? That’s really stupid. Just remember how unifying it was when the Spurs won their titles - the ENTIRE community coming together to celebrate and rejoice regardless of socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, political affiliation or financial status. It is one of the most beautiful moments that sports brings to us.

KEEP POLITICS AND SOCIAL ISSUES OUT OF OUR SPORTS! We watch sports as an outlet from a messed up world so we can get away from all that crap.

Great post. I'm quoting the most succinct portions because these are inarguable. Sports and politics don't mix.
You want to make a political stand? More power to you. Apply to law school and get started.

TheGreatYacht
09-19-2016, 11:00 AM
I hope they kneel. Love seeing these fat right wingers get triggered.

HarlemHeat37
09-20-2016, 05:35 PM
:lmao Another innocent Black man murdered by the police, tbh..I bet Birn had a great day..

Part of the issue with BLM and these athletes protesting is that it's just too peaceful IMO..unfortunately, at this point, dialogue and ubiquitous coverage through the media has not made any type of difference..violence is the only solution, we need more brothers sacrificing their lives for the cause, which is killing pigs until legitimate reform is initiated..

baseline bum
09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
:lmao Another innocent Black man murdered by the police, tbh..I bet Birn had a great day..

Part of the issue with BLM and these athletes protesting is that it's just too peaceful IMO..unfortunately, at this point, dialogue and ubiquitous coverage through the media has not made any type of difference..violence is the only solution, we need more brothers sacrificing their lives for the cause, which is killing pigs until legitimate reform is initiated..

Holy fuck you're a retard. Dallas redux is the solution?

dabom
09-20-2016, 05:58 PM

You serious brah? Dead Cops? Take the :lma brah.

gospursgojas
09-20-2016, 06:54 PM
That would hurt knees on hardwood. Pop cares more about injuries than protests.

Yuixafun
09-21-2016, 10:13 AM

Dude... you make me sad that you are Filipino.

I was born in Angeles City, Philippines.

If it wasn't for the U.S. Military, my life would be drastically different.

I didn't own a pair of new shoes until I was 4.

By 5 I was living in California having birthday parties in a neighborhood light years away from where I originated.

I was learning multiplication in Kindergarten. Playing Oregon Trail and Number Munchers on the computer.

I was catching dragonflies in the endless tall grass in my friends backyard, then going off to pick blackberries with him and his dad so his mom could make fresh baked pies.

Do you understand how idyllic that life is compared to the situation I was born into...

What would I have been doing had I stayed in the Philippines?

Running around being a street urchin trying to steal wallets or sell cigarettes for money?

Diving into the ocean so I could push rocks out to sell them for a quarter?

My earliest memory was being unable to open my eyes because they were so crusted over from being sick.

Medicine was so expensive my mom resorted taking me to a Witch Doctor.

I love my Filipino heritage. I'm thankful that my formative years were spent there, I will always see the world differently than you snot nosed POS.

But there isn't a time now as a grown man that I don't realize how incredible fortunate I was.

A long time ago my mother made a choice, for herself and young son, to leave her homeland, for the chance at a better future.

For a 100 pound woman in a developing country, with nothing but an 8th grade education, what sort of life could she make for us?

I'm a Filipino-American and one day I'm going to write about what that truly means.

It always made me proud growing up, moving every few you years as an Air Force kid, that when I told people I was Filipino, they would smile and say "Oh I had a friend that was Filipino, he was really cool..."

Your small thinking and juveniles ideas and communication make me hope you never tell anyone what you are besides a fool.

J_Paco
09-21-2016, 10:32 AM

All types of wrong, man. All violence would do is validate every negative stereotype of African-Americans.

There does need to be change, but you are dealing with systemic issues in a nation that is predominantly White. Change needs to happen at the local level and these officers need to be held accountable (even imprisoned) if found culpable. With a long history of State sanctioned racism, bigotry and genocide.

It'll take a long wbile to find a solution, but killing cops ain't the answer.

I. Hustle
09-21-2016, 10:40 AM

:rolleyes

apalisoc_9
09-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Dude... you make me sad that you are Filipino.

I was born in Angeles City, Philippines.

If it wasn't for the U.S. Military, my life would be drastically different.

I didn't own a pair of new shoes until I was 4.

By 5 I was living in California having birthday parties in a neighborhood light years away from where I originated.

I was learning multiplication in Kindergarten. Playing Oregon Trail and Number Munchers on the computer.

I was catching dragonflies in the endless tall grass in my friends backyard, then going off to pick blackberries with him and his dad so his mom could make fresh baked pies.

Do you understand how idyllic that life is compared to the situation I was born into...

What would I have been doing had I stayed in the Philippines?

Running around being a street urchin trying to steal wallets or sell cigarettes for money?

Diving into the ocean so I could push rocks out to sell them for a quarter?

My earliest memory was being unable to open my eyes because they were so crusted over from being sick.

Medicine was so expensive my mom resorted taking me to a Witch Doctor.

I love my Filipino heritage. I'm thankful that my formative years were spent there, I will always see the world differently than you snot nosed POS.

But there isn't a time now as a grown man that I don't realize how incredible fortunate I was.

A long time ago my mother made a choice, for herself and young son, to leave her homeland, for the chance at a better future.

For a 100 pound woman in a developing country, with nothing but an 8th grade education, what sort of life could she make for us?

I'm a Filipino-American and one day I'm going to write about what that truly means.

It always made me proud growing up, moving every few you years as an Air Force kid, that when I told people I was Filipino, they would smile and say "Oh I had a friend that was Filipino, he was really cool..."

Your small thinking and juveniles ideas and communication make me hope you never tell anyone what you are besides a fool.

You're basically a hypocrite. The US military feeds you so you fully ignore all their atrocities.

Sorry, i dont let material things blind my judgement on how the US has terrorized millions of people. Continue being blinded by those financial benefits you're getting.

apalisoc_9
09-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Hopefully All NBA players all go shareef Abdullrahim on these flags and anthem.

cd98
09-21-2016, 11:22 AM

I'm sure this is just trolling bc nothing could be more counterproductive to the cause than starting a war with police. If you think they have itchy trigger fingers now, just wait until its perceived that BLM are hunting cops. Or worse, they'll stop patrolling in bad neighborhoods and crime will get out of hand and innocent people pay the price. Fixing the system won't be done with violence.

TheGreatYacht
09-21-2016, 11:57 AM
I'm sure this is just trolling bc nothing could be more counterproductive to the cause than starting a war with police. If you think they have itchy trigger fingers now, just wait until its perceived that BLM are hunting cops. Or worse, they'll stop patrolling in bad neighborhoods and crime will get out of hand and innocent people pay the price. Fixing the system won't be done with violence.
They have itchy trigger fingers because the system will allow them to get away with it. They WILL stop if there's consequences to their bullshit.

I don't agree with Harlem suggesting that some innocent cops gotta pay a price... however I do agree if the cops that do, are the ones that have murdered innocent POC. Feed those pigs what they give us.

apalisoc_9
09-21-2016, 11:57 AM

Not sure of Harlem was serious, but he might be.

Listen, I condone violence but lets be honest here...Majority if not all reforms happened through a series pf violence. Simply talking has not done the job because everyone is trying to get the most out of everything.

"Violence" or what I would call physical voice has been the key to changing solutions since day 1

Talks only work if the problem isnt at a a very later stage...

Its like that bully in school, he aint stopping until you stomp his ass.

dabom
09-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Violence to fight violence. Call USA terrorists. :lol

TheGreatYacht
09-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Violence to fight violence. Call USA terrorists. :lol
It's the right way. Use the 2A right the right loves to protect. We gotta stop being so PC, people!

dabom
09-21-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm not saying violence vs violence is wrong. But don't get mad at the US for doing it and be for it in other situations.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-21-2016, 12:15 PM
This thread needs historical perspective. The anthem and the pledge are not American in a traditional sense. They are statist garbage, and the Founders would have had none of it.

American ideals were derived from classical liberalism. Classical liberalism is totally incompatible with fealty oaths and idolatry that treat the state or flag like a religious icon.

The pledge was created in the 20th century by a socialist progressive with a lust for centralized power. He and his ilk hate Christians, traditions, mercy, charity and private initiative. They love the State and anointed themselves as the proper rulers. Their direct aim was to adapt military organizational forms to the greater society. Less individual initiative, more service to the state.

The anthem is a gross military poem about blowing things up. The tune of the song is an old British drinking song. It's ridiculous. At sporting events they omit this line: "No refuge could save the hireling and slave. From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave". So basically kill everyone, include (black) slaves and serfs, because...Murica'.

I love my nation and its people, but I strongly urge my fellow men and women to not conflate nation and state. They are not the same. America is great because of the ideas of classical liberalism and its legacy, not any damn flag.

I leave you with the words of Sam Adams. This is not a man that would "stand for the anthem" like a sheep.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

This is a good post...made me pause and reflect.

I also had to look up the word 'conflate'. :)

TheGreatYacht
09-21-2016, 12:21 PM
"I cape for the 2A so we can protect our lives... unless you're not white. Then you just gotta take the bullets these pigs feed you and do nothing about it." - right wingers

"Look at these Baltimore riots! Those thugs! Why can't they protest silently?!.... I am so pressed. How DARE Kaepernick take a knee?!?! That should not be the way to protest!!" - right wingers

"How dare Black Lives Matter single out one group of people when saying their lives matter?! That's evil! All Lives Matter!............. let me post this #BlueLivesMatter hashtag contradicting myself" - right wingers

Birn
09-21-2016, 12:25 PM

Here are 5 facts you should know about cops killing blacks:

1. Cops killed nearly twice as many whites as blacks in 2015. According to data compiled by The Washington Post, 50 percent of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, while 26 percent were black. The majority of these victims had a gun or were armed or otherwise threatening the officer with potentially lethal force.

2. More whites and Hispanics die from police homicides than blacks. 12 percent of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only four percent of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers.

3. The Post's data does show that unarmed black men are more likely to die by the gun of a cop than an unarmed white man...but this does not tell the whole story. In August 2015, the ratio was seven-to-one of unarmed black men dying from police gunshots compared to unarmed white men; the ratio was six-to-one by the end of 2015. The Marshall Project examined the details of the actual incidents that occurred and they see it as follows:

The “unarmed” label is literally accurate, but it frequently fails to convey highly-charged policing situations. In a number of cases, if the victim ended up being unarmed, it was certainly not for lack of trying. At least five black victims had reportedly tried to grab the officer’s gun, or had been beating the cop with his own equipment. Some were shot from an accidental discharge triggered by their own assault on the officer. And two individuals included in the Post’s “unarmed black victims” category were struck by stray bullets aimed at someone else in justified cop shootings. If the victims were not the intended targets, then racism could have played no role in their deaths.

In one of those unintended cases, an undercover cop from the New York Police Department was conducting a gun sting in Mount Vernon, just north of New York City. One of the gun traffickers jumped into the cop’s car, stuck a pistol to his head, grabbed $2,400 and fled. The officer gave chase and opened fire after the thief again pointed his gun at him. Two of the officer’s bullets accidentally hit a 61-year-old bystander, killing him. That older man happened to be black, but his race had nothing to do with his tragic death. In the other collateral damage case, Virginia Beach, Virginia, officers approached a car parked at a convenience store that had a homicide suspect in the passenger seat. The suspect opened fire, sending a bullet through an officer’s shirt. The cops returned fire, killing their assailant as well as a woman in the driver’s seat. That woman entered the Post’s database without qualification as an “unarmed black victim” of police fire.

4. Black and Hispanic police officers are more likely to fire a gun at blacks than white officers. This is according to a Department of Justice report in 2015 about the Philadelphia Police Department, and is further confirmed that by a study conducted University of Pennsylvania criminologist Greg Ridgeway in 2015 that determined black cops were 3.3 times more likely to fire a gun than other cops at a crime scene.

5. Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. This is according to FBI data, which also found that 40 percent of cop killers are black. The police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person.

Despite the facts, the anti-police rhetoric of Black Lives Matter and their leftist sympathizers have resulted in what is known as the "Ferguson Effect," as murders have spiked by 17 percent among the 50 biggest cities in the U.S. as a result of cops being more reluctant to police neighborhoods out of fear of being labeled as racists. Additionally, there have been over twice as many cops victimized by fatal shootings in the first three months of 2016.

This research was conducted by Roland G. Fryer, who is the youngest black professor to have received tenure status at Harvard. As Fryer expected, his research revealed that police are more likely to use force towards an African-American suspect. However, in what Fryer called “the most surprising result of my career,” his research also revealed that African-American suspects are less likely to be shot in an altercation with law enforcement than suspects of other racial backgrounds.

It's very important for everyone to stop reacting on the basis of emotions and instead, use rational thought and analysis based on facts. Race hustlers want you to be upset and foment hate for non-blacks and the United States. This race propagating by those on the left is truly disgusting and has no place in our free society. Law and order are required if we are to remain a free people. Whenever any of us are questioned by police for whatever reason we must comply with all of their demands and let them do their jobs. If you fail to comply you just may get shot or tasered. This was ingrained in me since I was a young child. Not sure why so many people still try to ignore their demands.

dabom
09-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Tgy with some knowledge. Wow

cd98
09-21-2016, 05:50 PM
They have itchy trigger fingers because the system will allow them to get away with it. They WILL stop if there's consequences to their bullshit.

I don't agree with Harlem suggesting that some innocent cops gotta pay a price... however I do agree if the cops that do, are the ones that have murdered innocent POC. Feed those pigs what they give us.

Again, I'm assuming this is a troll take. You punish bad cops by prosecuting them. Not by killing random cops. You will only get more public sympathy for cops by killing innocent ones. It's a stupid take to condone such an act.

Birn
09-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Obama has instructed citizens to report threats of violent and deadly behavior. The moderators of this board should take immediate action to permanently ban those who have called for death to police officers. FBI and other authorities will be notified. This should never be acceptable.

Play Boban
09-21-2016, 10:16 PM
Pop is going to kneel and flip the bird during the anthem, TBH. He's a flaming communist in the vein of Lenin and Che.

Biernutz
09-22-2016, 02:03 AM
We should have the national anthem before the players come out for the game. Tv never
covers it acept in finals games so the anthem is now for the game fans. In a military town
like San Antonio that flag gets a lot of respect. We don't need any social protest over it. If the players
want to protest,take a knee during warmup or tip off. The fans in this town love the Spurs but they love
that flag a lot more than the players......

TheGreatYacht
09-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Obama has instructed citizens to report threats of violent and deadly behavior. The moderators of this board should take immediate action to permanently ban those who have called for death to police officers. FBI and other authorities will be notified. This should never be acceptable.
Another conservative sensitive bitch blaming everything on Obama. The moderators should ban scum like yourself for ignoring the reason this all started. Bet you're one of those idiots that completely changed Kaepernick's narrative on why he kneeled.

:cry he disrespected our troops :cry
:cry I don't care why he kneeled :cry
:cry If you don't like it here, leave! :cry
:cry yet I'll vote for an orange Cuck who called Americans losers and our military weak and an embarrassment :cry

spurs1990
09-22-2016, 09:14 AM
The police officer in the Charlotte shooting is black.

houston spurs fan
09-22-2016, 10:12 AM
I expect Silver to lift the mandate that all players must stand during the anthem. In my opinion lets just do away with playing it altogether. You think the NFL is bad, wait until the NBA. Everyone will be doing it....

superbigtime
09-22-2016, 10:36 AM

Fuck you fool. You'll be in jail soon where you belong.

davidbowie
09-22-2016, 08:54 PM
I wish Tim would still be playing so he could lead the team in taking a knee.

Play Boban
09-22-2016, 09:34 PM
I wish Tim would still be playing so he could lead the team in taking a knee.

Tim is an Uncle Tom. No way he's kneeling. :lol

cd98
09-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Players can do what they want but I don't watch the games until after the pledge, but I wouldn't stand at home. I think it's different though. At the games, I stand. I recognize the purpose of the pledge is to recognize the sacrifices others have made so that I can enjoy going to a sporting event and enjoy other freedoms. I respect the pledge, but it's an individual thing, people can decide what they want to do.

That said, the pledge has nothing to do with police and kneeling has had no impact on the BLM movement other than to question their patriotism. I think it's a pointless exercise like hash tagging. It does nothing of significance but it allows a person to show they care. As if that changes anything.

james evans
09-23-2016, 06:37 AM
If you were American, I'd forward your IP address to President Trump and he'd have you tracked down by NSA, incarcerated and waterboarded.
he's not lying. I am a veteran and it's a known fact that what amerika views as terrorism are the same acts they commit against other countries

james evans
09-23-2016, 06:40 AM
what about those that indirectly praise cops for the death of unarmed blacks without saying as much? oh yeah, my bad, it's just black folk being killed.. I love the lack of outrage when unarmed blacks are being executed in the streets like cattle. It says a lot

UNT Eagles 2016
09-23-2016, 08:00 AM
What a couple users posted on the 2nd page constitutes Malcolm X era terrorism... the FBI needs to take a hard look at this thread and start contacting some ISPs.

lefty
09-23-2016, 08:08 AM
how many of you obese fucks stand while the national anthem plays during a sporting event you're watching on tv

or do you sink deep into that LAZBOY and lick the cheese dust from your palms
:lmao

/THREAD

TheGreatYacht
09-23-2016, 09:04 AM
how many of you obese fucks stand while the national anthem plays during a sporting event you're watching on tv

SAGirl
09-23-2016, 08:24 PM

cd98
09-24-2016, 02:20 PM

It's funny because answering that question any other way gets him killed on social media. If he says all players should stand, then the BLM will slaughter him on social media. If he says they should be able to sit or kneel, he gets blasted for lacking patriotism, which is especially harsh since he is formerly of the military and he's in a big military city. Better to dodge and dodge he did.

apalisoc_9
09-24-2016, 02:38 PM
It's funny because answering that question any other way gets him killed on social media. If he says all players should stand, then the BLM will slaughter him on social media. If he says they should be able to sit or kneel, he gets blasted for lacking patriotism, which is especially harsh since he is formerly of the military and he's in a big military city. Better to dodge and dodge he did.

Good way to handle things. I'm sure many people are on the fence about these things and many are confused. I really don't think its proper to answer any questions regarding BLM in a sport interview.

Now in a long interview or artculate writing..that's different.

Media just trying to be wolves.

apalisoc_9
09-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Plus the team has 15 guys...I'm sure everyone has different opinions. You dobt want to alienate your players.

spursistan
09-24-2016, 03:13 PM

:wow

TheGreatYacht
09-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Pop should speak up for kneeling during the anthem. Then the obese repub land whales won't go to the games and their seats will go to someone that isn't lazy and actually cheers instead of munching on whataburger

dabom
09-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Pop should speak up for kneeling during the anthem. Then the obese repub land whales won't go to the games and their seats will go to someone that isn't lazy and actually cheers instead of munching on whataburger

Why you dissing whataburger. Their signature burgers are all on fucking point.

TheGreatYacht
09-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Why you dissing whataburger. Their signature burgers are all on fucking point.
They brought mammoths back to life. Just go to your local walmart

Vic Petro
09-25-2016, 12:29 AM

cd98
09-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Tbh, the kneeling during the pledge is just hashtag advocacy. Players do it so they can say they are "doing something" about the problem. Since the kneeling, two more cop shooting of unarmed black men have occurred. In a month, no one will care if anyone kneels because it's all been done. The only thing that kneeling accomplished was a discussion about whether kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful. What a waste of time.

TheGreatYacht
09-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Tbh, the kneeling during the pledge is just hashtag advocacy. Players do it so they can say they are "doing something" about the problem. Since the kneeling, two more cop shooting of unarmed black men have occurred. In a month, no one will care if anyone kneels because it's all been done. The only thing that kneeling accomplished was a discussion about whether kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful. What a waste of time.
You can blame the angry whites for that. They'll spin everything as long as they don't talk about pigs shooting up POC

TheGreatYacht
09-25-2016, 09:11 AM
77984882529291059377984948128200294477985057846588 21137798517373101260807798536271544565767798550384 87363584

houston spurs fan
09-25-2016, 09:25 AM
77984882529291059377984948128200294477985057846588 21137798517373101260807798536271544565767798550384 87363584
This is all weird because you are white....?

Clipper Nation
09-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Why wouldn't he? He let Bonner kneel down and give him head for the last decade.

Mal
09-25-2016, 10:11 AM
What the fuck is with this kneeling ? They are prostesting because once in a while, a policemen kills one of dindu nuffins, while other are killing each other everyday ? What they want to achieve ?

ECOV
09-25-2016, 11:14 AM
What the fuck is with this kneeling ? They are prostesting because once in a while, a policemen kills one of dindu nuffins, while other are killing each other everyday ? What they want to achieve ?
Its deeper then that

Play Boban
09-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Plus the team has 15 guys...I'm sure everyone has different opinions. You dobt want to alienate your players.

Yeah, this team has foreign whites that DGAF, Uncle Toms like Tim and Kyle, and street types that are probably down with the struggle. Tough road to navigate.

ginobilized
09-25-2016, 01:04 PM
I think there is a good chance that PATFO stand pat during the anthem

apalisoc_9
09-25-2016, 01:53 PM

TGY quickly becoming one of my favourite Political posters.

In short, White people have committed the most atrocities in human history. Heck they've killed the most, terrorized the most, Got all the natives almost extinct, shoot black people for fun, Manipulated so they can steal a good portion of Mexico...

But somehow, this is their narrative.

1. Anyone fighting their army trying to protect their own freedom and own identity and free from outside interference - Terrorist.

2. Manage to kill 80% of aboriginal population - It was neccesary to insure a free country and provide the aboriginal the "right" way of living

3. Systematically put Black people into a major economical disadvabtage through racial discrimination in school, jobs etc..Their economical situation forces them to do bad things - Black people are natural Moneky and thugs.

4. Complains about the whole concept of immigration - Stole North America, Australia, South Africa, Israel through systematic immigration and killings.

spurs10
09-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Why you dissing whataburger. Their signature burgers are all on fucking point. Yeah we can't be dissing on Whataburger they are good folks!

Splits
09-25-2016, 03:21 PM

In short, White people have committed the most atrocities in human history. Heck they've killed the most, terrorized the most, Got all the natives almost extinct, shoot black people for fun, Manipulated so they can steal a good portion of Mexico...

1. Anyone fighting their army trying to protect their own freedom and own identity and free from outside interference - Terrorist.

2. Manage to kill 80% of aboriginal population - It was neccesary to insure a free country and provide the aboriginal the "right" way of living

3. Systematically put Black people into a major economical disadvabtage through racial discrimination in school, jobs etc..Their economical situation forces them to do bad things - Black people are natural Moneky and thugs.

4. Complains about the whole concept of immigration - Stole North America, Australia, South Africa, Israel through systematic immigration and killings.

Solid post

Splits
09-25-2016, 03:22 PM

DarrinS
09-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Predictably, TGY went full SJW retard. Never go full SJW retard.

TheGreatYacht
09-25-2016, 04:15 PM

Murikkka'

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/21/laura_ingraham_gives_seeming_nazi_salute_to_image_ of_trump/gettyimages578130712.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

TD 21
09-25-2016, 04:55 PM

:tu

apalisoc_9
09-25-2016, 05:19 PM
You're average white person doesnt even how Africa has been systematically been put in a cycle of poverty through Invasion, Killing, and dictating powers. Every damn African Power has to be somewhat "West" approved all the while these Powers are eating away their countries resources through business partnerships with Western Business. China is now copying their political game, but have no international support to committ Economical sanctions if need be. Any power that doesnt commit to uncle sam policies is automatically a "dictator" with possible Sanctions.

It's a dirty cycle that isnt going to end unless Africans stop being brainwashed into thinking the west is going to provide them with a proper political structure. They need to figure something out for themselves because if they do, Africa has all the resources to reach peak society.

I'm not even going to bother with the Middle East since every homo American has been brainwashed into thinking all Muslim arabs are demons but the process is identical. Make sure, every power is a puppet, if they are not a puppet..label them dictators or terrorist.

Egypt democratically elects a power. West interefere until they get the right guy on power etc.

Anyone thinking Sign up for the US military they're a hero protecting the US and the world :lmao

Fuck off...

Even the citizens of unisted states have been placed in a systematic form of slavery that offer an illusion of "freedom". It's just silly.

Birn
09-25-2016, 10:39 PM
You're average white person doesnt even how Africa has been systematically been put in a cycle of poverty through Invasion, Killing, and dictating powers. Every damn African Power has to be somewhat "West" approved all the while these Powers are eating away their countries resources through business partnerships with Western Business. China is now copying their political game, but have no international support to committ Economical sanctions if need be. Any power that doesnt commit to uncle sam policies is automatically a "dictator" with possible Sanctions.

It's a dirty cycle that isnt going to end unless Africans stop being brainwashed into thinking the west is going to provide them with a proper political structure. They need to figure something out for themselves because if they do, Africa has all the resources to reach peak society.

I'm not even going to bother with the Middle East since every homo American has been brainwashed into thinking all Muslim arabs are demons but the process is identical. Make sure, every power is a puppet, if they are not a puppet..label them dictators or terrorist.

Egypt democratically elects a power. West interefere until they get the right guy on power etc.

Anyone thinking Sign up for the US military they're a hero protecting the US and the world :lmao

Fuck off...

Even the citizens of unisted states have been placed in a systematic form of slavery that offer an illusion of "freedom". It's just silly.

LOL!!!!!!!!

houston spurs fan
09-26-2016, 12:58 AM

Fuck off...

Yes the USA did fuck the Filipinos over 100 years ago. Guilty as charged. But holy shit not sure if this is trolling or if people this incompetent exist??????????

davidbowie
09-26-2016, 01:31 AM

goat

kuato
09-26-2016, 02:43 AM
You are still facing this "race" bullshit in the U.S. ?

FromWayDowntown
09-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Just Pop being Pop:

Popovich has been free with his opinion before, and maybe he says what Steve Kerr said last week. “No matter what side of the spectrum you’re on,” Kerr said, “I would hope that every American is disgusted with what is going on around the country.”

But Popovich has always done more than talk. He’s taken the Spurs on field trips on the road, he’s watched presidential debates with his players and last winter he arranged a movie night with Spike Lee while the team was in Cleveland.

The feature presentation: Lee’s “Chi-Raq,” a film about gang violence in Chicago.

Popovich has at times treated his locker room as if it were a classroom, and his sense of priorities was never clearer than in June of 2014. The Spurs were about to begin a memorable series, the second Finals against the Heat, when Popovich began with a history lesson.

He explained to his players the significance of Eddie Mabo Day to Indigenous Australians, and the moment brought tears to Mills’ eyes.

A year ago this week was no different. Then, Popovich invited someone whose actions were far more lasting and polarizing than anything Kaepernick ever thought of. John Carlos, his gloved left hand once in the air of the Mexico City Olympics, was the guest.

Popovich has rarely publicized such moments. As it is with the Spurs’ trips to visit with wounded veterans, Popovich isn’t looking to promote himself or his team. This is how he tries to build a better culture for his players.

He figures the more they experience together, the closer they are, and it’s a never-ending process. The Spurs are hoping to bring Cornel West, author and social activist, to speak to the team this year.

Obstructed_View
09-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Either Kap is fucking a SJW, or people have been calling him out for not being black enough. This is how revolutions begin in the 21st century. :lol

bklynspursfan
09-26-2016, 12:36 PM

Trill Clinton
09-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Tgy and apo with power posting

TheGreatYacht
09-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Tgy and apo with power posting
:bobo

Chinook
09-26-2016, 03:57 PM
Gotta admit TGY is growing on me. As soon as Anderson makes him get over his Kyle hate, he'll be all right.

spurtech09
09-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Kneeling down during the Anthem doesn't solve the problem....Whats the point?....Stop the violence stop the hate....Stop the madness.....Love one another and turn to Jesus Christ.....The only one that can save you...Jesus Loves us....Jesus Loves you :)

TheGreatYacht
09-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Gotta admit TGY is growing on me. As soon as Anderson makes him get over his Kyle hate, he'll be all right.
If he plays like summer league Kyle, I'll stop hating him :tu

HarlemHeat37
09-26-2016, 06:00 PM

:lol I was just playing..I made my feelings known about the Dallas killings, it was a very disappointing response after the Philando murder, since White people wouldn't have been able to play the :(but he had a criminal record:( card(if you search Philando Castille on google, the #4 result is "criminal record":lmao)

As I've said in the NBA forum in one of my many race threads(usually anti-Jordan), I'm vocal about coonery, racism among sports fans, etc, but it doesn't actually bother me..lower-class Black people will be oppressed and discriminated against everywhere, especially in America, and that won't change during my lifetime..when I get pulled over or questioned by police, I accept that I will be treated like a dog..all you should do in life is focus on yourself and your people, though IMO..

I left my family at 16, my parents made a combined 30k per year, and I had a criminal record at 18..In less than 6 years, I paid a down payment for their first house and I get to work on the internet all day while stacking $$$..so while racism will always be rampant and Black people from impoverished areas will always be at a disadvantage by being in the cycle of prison and murder, at least there's opportunity for you if you're actually able to escape your surroundings(as unlikely as it is)..

In an ideal world, we wouldn't just "accept" this reality, but it's simply easier to live your everyday life when you accept that this is just the world we live in, unfortunately..I commend activists for their dedication and optimistic naivety, but IMO it's better to just accept their racism and do your own thing..why should I care about the opinions of the many upper-middle class racists on SpursTalk that miss the days of Larry Bird playing basketball?:lol

apalisoc_9
09-26-2016, 06:47 PM
Probably unnoticed in Pop's interview is how he aknwoledged that typically change only happens through political pressure. It's a great touch in history. It's always wrong to kill people or be violent about your stance, but in many circumstances, the problems oppressed people face are way too deep for a gradual systematic change to happen.

Kapernick and all the kneelers are not even being violent. They're simply applying societal pressure on the US in hopes for a change. It's brave and People should stand up to what is right.

The United States of America is not Justice..You dont blindly go patriotic on whatever america does and its societal structure. You take actions to improve the current structure.

If every american in the 1800-1900 was your typical white american ignorant trump supporter..Muslims demons, black are thugs, mexicans this etc.. The US wouldnt be the country it is today full of power.

The forefathers like Abraham Lincoln are all closer to TGY, trill, TD21, Harlem in thinking than your average white poster.

HarlemHeat37
09-26-2016, 07:03 PM
The only facet of this discussion that still elicits any type of anger from me is when White people use the "Black on Black crime" argument, tbh..otherwise, their anonymous internet racism entertains me, for the most part:lol

apalisoc_9
09-26-2016, 07:11 PM
White People are surprised Black people are committing crimes against black people in largley BLACK PEOPLE community. :lol

I'm just glad to know if this are todays white people their future as a race is glim...

@Harlem, you should have went to reddit during the Turkish coup..So many White people making ottoman references and how erdogan is planning on continuing the ottoman conquest of the whole of europe.

The insecurity was hilarious. We're talking about the same people who vouche for democratic elections but turn against it soon as the leader doesnt succumb to their stupid outside interference needs.

I tend to think your average white middle class tend to have that same insecurity towards sucessfull Black People.

tmtcsc
09-26-2016, 08:21 PM
All the various gestures are now a fad. The impact is over. That being said, I can see a LaMarcus Aldridge doing it because he is a follower. Sadly, nothing is going to be done about the problem until the public holds the government accountable for positive change. All this other stuff is "look at me" bullshit.

Birn
09-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Kneeling down during the Anthem doesn't solve the problem....Whats the point?....Stop the violence stop the hate....Stop the madness.....Love one another and turn to Jesus Christ.....The only one that can save you...Jesus Loves us....Jesus Loves you :)

Amen brother

baseline bum
09-26-2016, 11:54 PM
Jesus Loves you

Did you hear that in a Mexican prison?

apalisoc_9
09-27-2016, 12:08 AM

:lol

Birn
09-27-2016, 12:17 AM
Probably unnoticed in Pop's interview is how he aknwoledged that typically change only happens through political pressure. It's a great touch in history. It's always wrong to kill people or be violent about your stance, but in many circumstances, the problems oppressed people face are way too deep for a gradual systematic change to happen.

Kapernick and all the kneelers are not even being violent. They're simply applying societal pressure on the US in hopes for a change. It's brave and People should stand up to what is right.

The United States of America is not Justice..You dont blindly go patriotic on whatever america does and its societal structure. You take actions to improve the current structure.

If every american in the 1800-1900 was your typical white american ignorant trump supporter..Muslims demons, black are thugs, mexicans this etc.. The US wouldnt be the country it is today full of power.

The forefathers like Abraham Lincoln are all closer to TGY, trill, TD21, Harlem in thinking than your average white poster.

Abraham Lincoln - Republican
Martin Luther King - Republican
George Washington Carver - Republican
Harriet Tubman - Republican
Frederick Douglas - Republican
Jackie Robinson - Republican
Edward Brooke - Republican
Sojourner Truth - Republican
Mary McLeod Bethune - Republican
Rosa Parks - Republican

KKK - founded as the militant arm of the Democratic Party
Senator Robert Byrd - Democrat - first member of KKK elected to Congress and was a mentor of Hillary Clinton

Democrats like Robert Byrd, George Wallace, Bull Connor and their ilk fought viciously against Civil Rights while Republican leaders throughout history have fought for freedom and liberty for ALL Americans.

Republicans forced Congress to bring the Civil Rights Act to a vote in 1960 and never gave up until finally convincing racist Democrat president LBJ to sign it into law. Democrats in Congress were overwhelmingly against the law.

Birn
09-27-2016, 12:39 AM
All the various gestures are now a fad. The impact is over. That being said, I can see a LaMarcus Aldridge doing it because he is a follower. Sadly, nothing is going to be done about the problem until the public holds the government accountable for positive change. All this other stuff is "look at me" bullshit.

Agree 100%.

It's all about drawing attention to themselves. If you have a genuine and sincere belief in what you're protesting then you should be able to effectively communicate and defend your positions. The problem is most of these athletes are just following along thinking that kneeling during the anthem is actually going to make a difference. They're incapable of communicating about these issues. A far more effective approach is to actually get involved in these "oppressed" communities and give your time and your money to improve people's lives. These idiots make the same mistakes that so many other people make in that they think it's the government's job to bring the systemic change in our society. Newsflash....if you want to get anything done right don't rely on government buraucrats to get it done. People have to be the engine of change and the only country on earth where the people determine their own success is in the USA. That's a big reason why 99% of Americans stand during the playing of the national anthem.

dabom
09-27-2016, 12:39 AM
Only fucking retards don't understand the transition between republicans and democrats in history. Let's just keep it short and simple. The south has and will always be backwards. Except Texas.

Chinook
09-27-2016, 04:39 AM

"Te quiero, vato. Now, don't move."

Chinook
09-27-2016, 04:43 AM

"Look at me" is the point of the protests, though. That this thread exists and that people are asking players and coaches about it every interview is showing that it's relevant still. This isn't going to be like sit-ins and boycotts, where there is a huge economic threat to force change. The oppressing party is too diffuse, and if it's supposed to be the police, that's just a horrible idea to "boycott" them. So the only other option is to annoy/guilt people into agreeing for the change. And that happens by this shit never ending and increasing and it taking away from the game. Folks want sports to be a refuge from politics. Well, take that refuge away and don't give it back until you get what you want.

benefactor
09-27-2016, 06:12 AM
:lol

tmtcsc
09-27-2016, 08:54 AM
"Look at me" is the point of the protests, though. That this thread exists and that people are asking players and coaches about it every interview is showing that it's relevant still. This isn't going to be like sit-ins and boycotts, where there is a huge economic threat to force change. The oppressing party is too diffuse, and if it's supposed to be the police, that's just a horrible idea to "boycott" them. So the only other option is to annoy/guilt people into agreeing for the change. And that happens by this shit never ending and increasing and it taking away from the game. Folks want sports to be a refuge from politics. Well, take that refuge away and don't give it back until you get what you want.

Discussions are centering around "who is deciding to gesture", "what their gesture is", if the Spurs are going to allow their players to gesture, etc. My point is that the efforts to improve the situation have now taken a back seat to the problem. Black on black homicides and cops killing black people are all the result of a bigger problem. I've said all along that this isn't just a race issue, its an economic issue. Cops having itchy trigger fingers, blacks not trusting the police, poor people turning to crime, much of this is directly related to poor people not getting equal opportunities. There are people who will never be able to change their lives but the country can do something now to help those who want to. Invest $$ in low-income areas - especially in the education system, improve efforts to rehabilitate prisoners, legalize marijuana..those are just some ideas. Anyhoo, back to sports.

Splits
09-27-2016, 09:14 AM

:wow

Chinook
09-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Discussions are centering around "who is deciding to gesture", "what their gesture is", if the Spurs are going to allow their players to gesture, etc. My point is that the efforts to improve the situation have now taken a back seat to the problem. Black on black homicides and cops killing black people are all the result of a bigger problem. I've said all along that this isn't just a race issue, its an economic issue. Cops having itchy trigger fingers, blacks not trusting the police, poor people turning to crime, much of this is directly related to poor people not getting equal opportunities. There are people who will never be able to change their lives but the country can do something now to help those who want to. Invest $$ in low-income areas - especially in the education system, improve efforts to rehabilitate prisoners, legalize marijuana..those are just some ideas. Anyhoo, back to sports.

But what's a guy like Kaep, or Marshall or Bennett going to do about it? They're not going to pull Pat Tillmans and forsake their careers to be a drop in a bucket. They can do no more on the streets than the average schmuck community organizer could. Sure, they can give all their money to programs aimed at tackling the issue. But compared to the money it would take to actually do anything, it's pitiful, and that wouldn't tackle the social issues anyway.

So instead, he creates a bunch of drama by sitting, and that snowballs into the storylines in the US's two major sports being heavily influenced by what he did and whether others would do the same thing. So now all the folks who just want to get "back to sports" can't, because every game someone is going to be sitting, or kneeling or with a fist of freedom in the air, and the commentators will be talking about it. Or a couple of times every NBA game, the league will run some type of add where they talk about the violence and how it needs to stop. Is that going to instantly cause change? No. But all those people who keep thinking it's not a problem are going to be worn down by the persistent assertions that it is.

Do I agree with you that there are bigger issues going on that affect these incidents than just police training? Of course. But you have to start some place. Letting this drop just brings us back to an untenable status quo. As I said in another thread, there's a real fear culture for both police officers stopping blacks and blacks who are stopped by police officers. I was pulled over the other day, and my friend reached into his pocket to grab his ID, and I legit thought we could both die from it. That's not okay, and that can be addressed before fixing the poverty cycle.

tmtcsc
09-27-2016, 09:41 AM
But what's a guy like Kaep, or Marshall or Bennett going to do about it? They're not going to pull Pat Tillmans and forsake their careers to be a drop in a bucket. They can do no more on the streets than the average schmuck community organizer could. Sure, they can give all their money to programs aimed at tackling the issue. But compared to the money it would take to actually do anything, it's pitiful, and that wouldn't tackle the social issues anyway.

So instead, he creates a bunch of drama by sitting, and that snowballs into the storylines in the US's two major sports being heavily influenced by what he did and whether others would do the same thing. So now all the folks who just want to get "back to sports" can't, because every game someone is going to be sitting, or kneeling or with a fist of freedom in the air, and the commentators will be talking about it. Or a couple of times every NBA game, the league will run some type of add where they talk about the violence and how it needs to stop. Is that going to instantly cause change? No. But all those people who keep thinking it's not a problem are going to be worn down by the persistent assertions that it is.

Do I agree with you that there are bigger issues going on that affect these incidents than just police training? Of course. But you have to start some place. Letting this drop just brings us back to an untenable status quo. As I said in another thread, there's a real fear culture for both police officers stopping blacks and blacks who are stopped by police officers. I was pulled over the other day, and my friend reached into his pocket to grab his ID, and I legit thought we could both die from it. That's not okay, and that can be addressed before fixing the poverty cycle.

When I typed "Anyhoo, back to sports", I meant to get back to this being a Spurs basketball forum. I am sure there is a political forum for this type of discussion.

Chinook
09-27-2016, 09:56 AM
When I typed "Anyhoo, back to sports", I meant to get back to this being a Spurs basketball forum. I am sure there is a political forum for this type of discussion.

There is, and it has a longer and more heavily debated Kaep thread. And pretty much every other thread on this subforum has nothing to do with this topic and can be discussed freely. So no one's gonna follow you around and badger you about this if you post in like the training camp thread, for example.

But you trying to make this a basketball forum again is exactly why what Kaep is doing is effective. You aren't ignoring it, you're trying to ignore it and not all the way succeeding so far. So long as that inconvenience is there, Kaep's doing his job.

tmtcsc
09-27-2016, 10:04 AM
There is, and it has a longer and more heavily debated Kaep thread. And pretty much every other thread on this subforum has nothing to do with this topic and can be discussed freely. So no one's gonna follow you around and badger you about this if you post in like the training camp thread, for example.

But you trying to make this a basketball forum again is exactly why what Kaep is doing is effective. You aren't ignoring it, you're trying to ignore it and not all the way succeeding so far. So long as that inconvenience is there, Kaep's doing his job.

Eh, I said my peace. That's all. We are going to see diminishing returns from the gesturing if we haven't already. Its going to get boring, won't be covered and will lose the attention of the controversy-starved media. Its up to people to get involved with voting and action. Politicians and people much more knowledgeable than me, need to explore and implement change. Offer solutions up for us (or elected reps) to vote on.

Chinook
09-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Eh, I said my peace. That's all. We are going to see diminishing returns from the gesturing if we haven't already. Its going to get boring, won't be covered and will lose the attention of the controversy-starved media. Its up to people to get involved with voting and action. Politicians and people much more knowledgeable than me, need to explore and implement change. Offer solutions up for us (or elected reps) to vote on.

Well, yeah. But that's not for Kaep to worry about doing himself. All he can do is leverage his position to raise awareness. And I think he's done a fine job at it. If the NBA and NBPA do what they keep hyping, this will keep escalating. You need politicians to change the law, but you need people to be inconvenienced to convince politicians to do anything -- especially right now.

Brazil
09-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Oh, horseshit... you fucking understand it, because Canadians do the same fucking thing. You just enjoy America-bashing and white-bashing. You're entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts, you fucking racist hypocrite.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/24/russia-fined-85000-for-leaving-ice-before-canadas-anthem-at-hockey-worlds-ceremony
http://www.themanitoban.com/2014/10/true-north-deserves-shout-anthem/21322/
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/canadian-national-anthem-all-lives-matter-change-1.3676477

It's only been a few months since Dwayne Wade caused a shitstorm for shooting jumpers during O Canada.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/dwyane-wade-o-canada-1.3572578

Oh, and the fact that you don't understand doesn't mean shit. You see EVERYTHING through a fucked up lens, so there's a lot you don't understand. I hate fucking racists, and you're just as bad as the damned skinheads on the other end of the spectrum.

I did not check this thread untill today but yeah at least somebody got triggered pretty bad tbh :lol

Brazil
09-27-2016, 12:37 PM
:lol the whole sport is about getting people together and should be free of politics argument is heavily moronic.

For one Sport has always been involved politics see the black panther fist in 68, jesse owens refusing to do the nazi salute in 36 (pretty sure bunch of whities were giving some arguments about sport in 36 too), terrorist attacks, boycotts etc etc... Then I love the "folks want sport to be a refuge from politics" say who ? The ones annoyed by the kneeling ? Pretty hilarious to believe the way you see the world is the same for everybody... smh

Besides, when you feel discriminate at work you just stand pat and do nothing or do you try the discrimination to stop ? In what universe we should forbid athletes to protest ? Are they doing something illegal ?

Finally kuddos to Harlem, Apo, TGY to shake stuff up... :tu

boutons_deux
09-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Coach Pop Calls Race "the Elephant in the Room," Defends Athlete Protesters

“Race is the elephant in the room in our country and the social situation that we’ve all experienced is absolutely disgusting in a lot of ways,” said Popovich.

"What’s really interesting is the people that jump right away to say one is attacking the police or the people that jump on the other side.

It’s a question where understanding and empathy has to trump, no pun intended, any quick reactions of an ideological or demagogical nature.

It’s a topic that can’t just be swung at.

People have to be very accurate and direct in what they say and do.”

“I absolutely understand why they’re doing what they’re doing and I respect their courage for what they’ve done,” said Popovich.

“The question is whether it will do any good or not because it seems that change really seems to happen through political pressure no matter how you look at it.

Whether it’s Dr. King getting large groups of people together and boycotting buses or what’s happened in Carolina with the NBA and other organizations pulling events to make it known what’s going on.

But I think the important thing, with Kaepernick and others, is to keep it in the conversation.”

“My players are engaged citizens who are fully capable of understanding what their values are, what they think is appropriate and inappropriate, what they feel strongly about," he told reporters.

"Whatever actions may or may not be taken are their decisions.

I’m not gonna tell anyone ahead of time that if they don’t do A, B, and C, they’re gonna be gone or traded.

I think that’s ignorant.”

http://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2016/09/27/coach-pop-calls-race-the-elephant-in-the-room-defends-athlete-protesters

tmtcsc
09-27-2016, 03:29 PM
“The question is whether it will do any good or not because it seems that change really seems to happen through political pressure no matter how you look at it." -- Coach Pop

Exactly.

Trill Clinton
09-27-2016, 05:10 PM
how can you hate pop after hearing this? man i love being a spurs fanhttp://i66.tinypic.com/jb7m7o.png

the balls on this guy

http://i.imgur.com/s50yprd.gif

spurs10
09-27-2016, 11:19 PM
"Look at me" is the point of the protests, though. That this thread exists and that people are asking players and coaches about it every interview is showing that it's relevant still. This isn't going to be like sit-ins and boycotts, where there is a huge economic threat to force change. The oppressing party is too diffuse, and if it's supposed to be the police, that's just a horrible idea to "boycott" them. So the only other option is to annoy/guilt people into agreeing for the change. And that happens by this shit never ending and increasing and it taking away from the game. Folks want sports to be a refuge from politics. Well, take that refuge away and don't give it back until you get what you want. It's not as though there are many people who don't want to see less people being unnecessarily shot by the police or anyone else. I thought Pop sounded thoughtful and graceful on the subject.

ducks
09-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Nba players have to stand
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/gregg-popovich-on-national-anthem-protesters-i-respect-their-courage/

boutons_deux
09-27-2016, 11:52 PM
why the play the anthem anyway? why make kids say the pledge of allegiance? It's all statist, empire, military bullshit brain washing.

tbdog
09-28-2016, 12:46 AM
why the play the anthem anyway? why make kids say the pledge of allegiance? It's all statist, empire, military bullshit brain washing.

Exactly. Heck in 2014, spurs had 9 players who were non American, (10 if you want to include TD). Why have a national anthem for a global game?

EDIT

Add one more. I already forgot about Bonner.

jermaine
09-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Welp.... Pop answered that question. He's not telling his players what they can or can't do.

Birn
09-28-2016, 08:33 PM
I'll be surprised if any Spurs will kneel during the anthem. I just don't see it being an issue with this team. They make more impact off the court than probably any other team in the NBA.

ducks
09-28-2016, 08:39 PM
They will be fined if they do it is against nba rules

cd98
09-29-2016, 08:10 AM
“Sometimes out of these controversies, we start getting into a conversation, and I want everybody to listen to each other,” Obama said. “So I want Mr. Kaepernick and others who are on a knee, I want them to listen to the pain that that may cause somebody who, for example, had a spouse or a child who was killed in combat, and why it hurts them to see somebody not standing.”
The president added, however: “I also want people to think about the pain that he may be expressing about somebody who’s lost a loved one that they think was unfairly shot.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/obama-colin-kaepernick-anthem-228880#ixzz4LeMcaCwZ
Follow us: @politico on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bKDyiUp9mr3OhNab7jrHcU&u=politico) | Politico on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bKDyiUp9mr3OhNab7jrHcU&u=Politico)

boutons_deux
09-29-2016, 09:10 AM
The huge error that the self-aggrandizing, self-centered military, vets, military families make is to claim the US flag for themselves, as representing themselves exclusively, and thereby feel insulted, pained, totally falsely, based on their error.

cd98
09-29-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm sure boutons is just trolling.