PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Echo

Chinook
09-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Considering getting one. Anyone have experience with these things?

SpursforSix
09-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Considering getting one. Anyone have experience with these things?

I got one when it came out. It was pretty limited then but still really cool. I don't have it plugged in right now but it seems to have had a ton of new features added. When I was using it, it worked almost perfectly for what it was supposed to do. I'm hoping they integrate with Fire TV. Maybe they have already.

Avante
09-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Yep, own it.

Well worth the $$$$$.

My computer geek SIL talked me into it. He also messed around with it giving me this enormous amount of movies to pick from.

Only bummer is that little stick is too small. Gotta be careful when using it.

Wilford Brimley
09-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Yep, own it.

Well worth the $$$$$.

My computer geek SIL talked me into it. He also messed around with it giving me this enormous amount of movies to pick from.

Only bummer is that little stick is too small. Gotta be careful when using it.

I heards something about this. You just put it in your TV and then you can talk to it and ask it about the weather or news. And you get a bumch of moves. I saw a picture of it and I have no idaea how it goes into the TV.

Chinook
09-16-2016, 02:59 PM
We're taking about the Echo here, not the Fire stick. The Echo is like a semi-centralized control unit for smart devices in homes.

This thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DFKC2SO/ref=ods_gw_d_h1_ha_btLM2R?enable********=1&pf_rd_r=MWERY2K62YXYJQZ41D4A&pf_rd_p=c8f2a854-3a83-412c-9564-0c2e143516ff

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/160404122137-amazon-echo-dot-780x439.jpg

SpursforSix
09-16-2016, 03:35 PM
We're taking about the Echo here, not the Fire stick. The Echo is like a semi-centralized control unit for smart devices in homes.

This thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DFKC2SO/ref=ods_gw_d_h1_ha_btLM2R?enable********=1&pf_rd_r=MWERY2K62YXYJQZ41D4A&pf_rd_p=c8f2a854-3a83-412c-9564-0c2e143516ff

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/160404122137-amazon-echo-dot-780x439.jpg

Holy shit...they've really been able to make it compact. The one I have is probably the size of 5 of those stacked.

clambake
09-16-2016, 03:46 PM
where do you plug in the beats?

Spurminator
09-16-2016, 03:54 PM
I got one of the larger ones. I like it but I gave up pretty quickly on trying to tell it to pull up a specific station or album.

I also wish it had physical volume controls. Currently I have to tell it to turn the volume down to a certain level then wait to see if it's the right volume.

clambake
09-16-2016, 03:56 PM
I got one of the larger ones. I like it but I gave up pretty quickly on trying to tell it to pull up a specific station or album.

I also wish it had physical volume controls. Currently I have to tell it to turn the volume down to a certain level then wait to see if it's the right volume.

might have some echo problems

SpursforSix
09-16-2016, 03:59 PM
where do you plug in the beats?

I think I detailed this in tech forum. Like I said...I don't have the Echo hooked up anymore but when I did...

I put a high quality mic by the Echo. Then run the mic through a receiver with the output going to my house speakers.
I mic the room (living room) with a solid mic for ambient sound. This mic goes directly into my desktop and then I share the audio through WiFi with my Iphone.
Which is where I have my Beats plugged in.

Avante
I heards something about this. You just put it in your TV and then you can talk to it and ask it about the weather or news. And you get a bumch of moves. I saw a picture of it and I have no idaea how it goes into the TV.

Right now I'm still afraid of it, still trying to get it. Wish I could help but can't.

My SIL hooked it up, and all I do is watch movies. TONS of movies.

Spurminator
might have some echo problems

Really the thing I use it for most is parties. When I have a group of people over, I like to stop everything down and ask, "Is there an echo in here? Anyone know? Is there an echo?"

After doing that a few times, I reveal that there IS an Echo in here, the Amazon Echo. And we all have a good laugh.

Drachen
09-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Holy shit...they've really been able to make it compact. The one I have is probably the size of 5 of those stacked.

That's not the echo, it's the echo dot and needs to be on a metal with an echo to work. It's basically a way to extend echo to other rooms

SpursforSix
09-16-2016, 04:00 PM

I thought mine had a remote. Or maybe I had my table synced with it. But yeah...I remember that being a pain.

Spurminator
09-16-2016, 04:01 PM
I thought mine had a remote. Or maybe I had my table synced with it. But yeah...I remember that being a pain.

You can get an app for your phone. But then you have to open the app and go to settings or some shit just to toggle the volume. It's easier to just yell at it, but it would be even easier to adjust the volume on the actual device.

Chinook
09-16-2016, 04:03 PM
That's not the echo, it's the echo dot and needs to be on a metal with an echo to work. It's basically a way to extend echo to other rooms

Nah. It's stand-alone.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B015TJD0Y4/5/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza?isAnswered=true

SpursforSix
09-16-2016, 04:12 PM
You can get an app for your phone. But then you have to open the app and go to settings or some shit just to toggle the volume. It's easier to just yell at it, but it would be even easier to adjust the volume on the actual device.

The thing I hated about yelling at it was that I would have to it several times to get the volume right. Then IIRC, depending on your source, the levels from the different songs varied greatly.

Spurminator
09-16-2016, 04:13 PM
The thing I hated about yelling at it was that I would have to it several times to get the volume right. Then IIRC, depending on your source, the levels from the different songs varied greatly.

Yup. I mostly only play music through it as a bluetooth speaker from my phone, and I'll typically just adjust the volume on my phone.

clambake
09-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Really the thing I use it for most is parties. When I have a group of people over, I like to stop everything down and ask, "Is there an echo in here? Anyone know? Is there an echo?"

After doing that a few times, I reveal that there IS an Echo in here, the Amazon Echo. And we all have a good laugh.

i like the way you built drama into the group and then relief with laughter.

are you a professional party planner?

clambake
09-16-2016, 04:15 PM

clambake
09-16-2016, 04:17 PM
oops

Spurminator
09-16-2016, 04:21 PM

No, but everyone tells me I should be. Maybe someday.

SpursforSix
09-16-2016, 04:29 PM

TC0968-36s4

DarrinS
09-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Seems like something that would be a novelty for a while, and then become a dust collector.

Drachen
09-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Nah. It's stand-alone.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B015TJD0Y4/5/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza?isAnswered=true

Oh you're right. I guess it's that one without a speaker, right?

Drachen
09-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Seems like something that would be a novelty for a while, and then become a dust collector.

This is the exact reason that I'm not getting it. I really want it to see what the fuss is about, but I'm afraid I would end up not using it

Chinook
09-16-2016, 07:08 PM
Oh you're right. I guess it's that one without a speaker, right?

There's a speaker. But it sucks. Bad for anything that's not voice and alarms.

SpursforSix
09-16-2016, 11:05 PM
There's a speaker. But it sucks. Bad for anything that's not voice and alarms.

I thought the sound was pretty good for the money.

Chinook
09-17-2016, 02:03 AM
I thought the sound was pretty good for the money.

Talking about the new one

leemajors
09-17-2016, 07:19 PM

nm.