PDA

View Full Version : The real Superbowls since 1990, iyo

DeadlyDynasty
09-17-2016, 03:39 AM
What matchups do you think ultimately decided the SB champ over the last few decades?

1990: Bills-Giants, SB...one of the best SB's ever, obviously.
1991: Bills-Redskins, SB...the playoffs were pretty anticlimactic that year
1992: Cowboys-49ers, NFCCG
1993: Cowboys-49ers, NFCCG
1994: Cowboys-49ers, NFCCG
1995: Neil O-Donnell-His bookie, SB...what a crappy year, outside of Harbaugh's magic.
1996: Packers-Patriots, SB
1997: Packers-Broncos, SB...matchup of gunslingers, TD stole the show though
1998: Falcons-Vikings, NFCCG...even though the SB winner didn't come out of here, it was a foregone conclusion Denver was going to repeat when Gary Anderson choked. We missed out on one of the most exciting SB matchups ever, imo.
1999: Rams-Titans, SB...Bucs game was great too, but Shaun King was never a threat to win a SB.
2000: Ravens-Titans, AFC Divisional Playoff...old-fashioned NFL slugfest with two teams who hated each other.
2001: Patriots-Rams, SB...epic
2002: Buccaneers-Eagles, NFCCG...Bucs finally overcame their Philly demons.
2003: Patriots-Panthers, SB...what a crazy 2nd half.
2004: Patriots-Eagles, SB...really lame SB, not as close as the final score would indicate.
2005: Steelers-Colts, AFC Divisional Playoff...the only playoff game in recorded history where the Steelers were on the wrong end of questionable calls. The zebras made up for it by taking at least 10 points off the board for Seattle in the SB.
2006: Patriots-Colts, AFCCG...a classic.
2007: Giants-Patriots, SB...18-1
2008: Steelers-Cardinals, SB...again, the Steelers were gift-wrapped a SB when the refs failed to see that Santonio Holmes had his right foot on top of his left foot.
2009: Saints-Vikings, NFCCG...Favre went Favre, but Peterson's fumbles were crippling in this game.
2010: Packers-Steelers, SB...Pittsburgh made a game of it towards the end, but it was evident early on in the playoffs that Rodgers and the Pack were a machine.
2011: Giants-Patriots, SB...one of the weaker Patriots teams, but an exciting SB with lots of pivotal moments (Welker drop, pass to Manningham, Bradshaw's goof).
2012: Ravens-Broncos, AFC Divisional Playoff...the SB probably ends 42-6 if they don't sabotage the power. The Mile-High-Miracle is just one of the most unlikely plays you'll ever see. LOL Rahim Moore.
2013: Seahawks-49ers, NFCCG...see 2000.
2014: Patriots-Seahawks, SB...the worst fuck-up in SB history, surpassing Jackie Smith's drop.
2015: Broncos-Patriots, AFCCG...exciting game and great end to one of the best H2H QB rivalries we'll ever see.

Raven
09-17-2016, 08:03 AM
you said it all.

JoeTait75
09-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Not since 1990, eh? I see what you did there, DD...

Anyway, the one game you listed that I take a little bit of an issue with on first glance is the 2002 NFCCC. The thing that made that year's Super Bowl unique was that Gruden was going against his own offense. The Raiders hadn't even changed the terminology of the offense. The Buccaneer defense literally knew every play that was coming. Obviously Philadelphia wouldn't have had that advantage and we all know about Andy Reid's history as a big-game coach. I think Oakland would've had every opportunity to beat the Eagles that year.

DeadlyDynasty
09-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Not since 1990, eh? I see what you did there, DD...

Anyway, the one game you listed that I take a little bit of an issue with on first glance is the 2002 NFCCC. The thing that made that year's Super Bowl unique was that Gruden was going against his own offense. The Raiders hadn't even changed the terminology of the offense. The Buccaneer defense literally knew every play that was coming. Obviously Philadelphia wouldn't have had that advantage and we all know about Andy Reid's history as a big-game coach. I think Oakland would've had every opportunity to beat the Eagles that year.

:lolI could've gone back 2-3 more years from personal recollection*, but 1990 seemed like a nice flush date. Bill Callahan was a retard...makes me (almost) take Tim Brown's conspiracy theory seriously.

*Just to complete:

1989: Rams-Giants, Divisional Playoff...LA winning this game ensured SF would have an easy path to a SB
1988: Niners-Bengals, SB...Montana to Taylor ftw
1987: Vikings-49ers, Divisional Playoff...One of the best upsets nobody ever talks about. Minnesota also gave Washington a serious scare in the NFCCG but I still feel this game was the most important of that season. Honorary mention to the Ernest Byner game--but do you think Cleveland could've beat the Skins?

JoeTait75
09-17-2016, 09:06 AM
Honorary mention to the Ernest Byner game--but do you think Cleveland could've beat the Skins?

They would have a puncher's chance. One thing that destroyed the Broncos in that SB was that Mike Harden was hurt and Tony Lilly, their slow white backup free safety, started in his place. The Redskins just devastated Tony Lilly- if you watch highlights from that 35-point second quarter you see Lilly getting beaten and punked on play after play after play. The Browns had one of the best secondaries in football- no way Doug Williams would have lit them up the way he lit up the Broncos. At the end of the day, though, it was Joe Gibbs versus Marty Schottenheimer. I do think the Redskins would've won, but it would have been a damned good game- 30-27, 27-24, something like that. 1987 was easily the best Browns team since the merger.

I do agree with your assessment of 49ers-Vikings, though. San Francisco had the best team in football that year and should have won the SB without breaking a sweat. The Browns were really good in '87 and San Francisco just manhandled them in a Sunday night game. Minnesota did have a lot of talent and their 8-7 record was misleading- they were 8-4 in non-strike games.

spurraider21
09-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Bill Callahan was a retard...makes me (almost) take Tim Brown's conspiracy theory seriously.
:depressed

jerry rice signed off on the theory as well, iirc

DeadlyDynasty
09-17-2016, 01:02 PM
:depressed

jerry rice signed off on the theory as well, iirc
They had a pretty physical O-line and a damn good ground game...I can see why an unstable individual like Barret Robbins would lose his shit after an 11th hour change. Charlie Garner had an underrated season, almost becoming a 1000/1000 guy iirc

Clipper Nation
09-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Giants/Packers was the real Super Bowl in '07, tbh. People forget about this because of all the storylines that season, but the Packers went 13-3 that year and were legit title contenders. With an HOF QB under center and a dominant pass rush, they would have destroyed the Pats that year.

Also, Seahawks/Packers was the real Super Bowl in 2014. No way Rodgers shits the bed against the Pats like Struggle did.

As for the AFC, Broncos/Jets might not qualify as the real Super Bowl in '98, but still deserves recognition. The Jets were crazy good that season, going 12-4 against a tough schedule (they tied the 1997 Packers' record of winning seven games against playoff-bound teams in the regular season). They had a stacked offense with Curtis Martin, Keyshaun Johnson, Wayne Chrebet and Kevin Mawae, and a real solid defense too. They already throttled the Falcons in the regular season that year and would have done it again in the SB.

Pelicans78
09-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Peterson's fumbles didn't hurt the Vikings that much since the Saints didn't recover neither of them. It was fumbles from other players plus the crippling Farve INT which killed them. That said, I think the Colts would have beaten Vikings because the Vikings secondary was not very good and Peyton could easily see over their interior pass rush unlike Brees.

Pelicans78
09-17-2016, 02:17 PM
You could also add in 2011 the Saints-Niners divisional playoffs in 2011. If the Saints defense doesn't choke in the final minute, most likely they beat the Giants in the NFC championship and we have a Brees-Brady Super Bowl.

Pelicans78
09-17-2016, 02:18 PM
That 91 Redskins was one of the most dominant teams in NFL history. They demolished everyone that season.

DeadlyDynasty
09-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Giants/Packers was the real Super Bowl in '07, tbh. People forget about this because of all the storylines that season, but the Packers went 13-3 that year and were legit title contenders. With an HOF QB under center and a dominant pass rush, they would have destroyed the Pats that year.

Also, Seahawks/Packers was the real Super Bowl in 2014. No way Rodgers shits the bed against the Pats like Struggle did.

As for the AFC, Broncos/Jets might not qualify as the real Super Bowl in '98, but still deserves recognition. The Jets were crazy good that season, going 12-4 against a tough schedule (they tied the 1997 Packers' record of winning seven games against playoff-bound teams in the regular season). They had a stacked offense with Curtis Martin, Keyshaun Johnson, Wayne Chrebet and Kevin Mawae, and a real solid defense too. They already throttled the Falcons in the regular season that year and would have done it again in the SB.

:lolDude, no way 2007 is decided by any other game imo. I honestly think NE would've beaten GB going away, but we'll never know. In 2014, I blame Mike McCarthy for that shitshow...still no guarantee they beat NE--would they have even be favored?

The jets-donks game is a fair point...a Parcells/Belichick team always had a chance. They were beating Denver 10-0, too...that game changed on a rare Curtis Martin fumble. Either way, I was so pissed at the NFCCG cause I had SB tickets and was hoping for a dream matchup. To this day I've been to 2 SB's and they were both dogshit (Niners-Chargers, Falcons-Donks).

DeadlyDynasty
09-17-2016, 02:22 PM
That 91 Redskins was one of the most dominant teams in NFL history. They demolished everyone that season.
yup, Only Dallas beat them (by 3 points) when they played their starters

DeadlyDynasty
09-17-2016, 02:32 PM
Peterson's fumbles didn't hurt the Vikings that much since the Saints didn't recover neither of them. It was fumbles from other players plus the crippling Farve INT which killed them. That said, I think the Colts would have beaten Vikings because the Vikings secondary was not very good and Peyton could easily see over their interior pass rush unlike Brees.
Yeah, Harvin had a huge fumble but Peterson botched a handoff from Favre when they were threatening at the end of the first half. The latter can be attributed to either based on your interpretation, but I'm giving it to Peterson since he had greasy mitts all game

spurraider21
09-17-2016, 03:03 PM
:lolDude, no way 2007 is decided by any other game imo. I honestly think NE would've beaten GB going away, but we'll never know. In 2014, I blame Mike McCarthy for that shitshow...still no guarantee they beat NE--would they have even be favored?

The jets-donks game is a fair point...a Parcells/Belichick team always had a chance. They were beating Denver 10-0, too...that game changed on a rare Curtis Martin fumble. Either way, I was so pissed at the NFCCG cause I had SB tickets and was hoping for a dream matchup. To this day I've been to 2 SB's and they were both dogshit (Niners-Chargers, Falcons-Donks).
you're talking to a guy who despises brady, wilson tbh :lol

Pelicans78
09-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Yeah, Harvin had a huge fumble but Peterson botched a handoff from Favre when they were threatening at the end of the first half. The latter can be attributed to either based on your interpretation, but I'm giving it to Peterson since he had greasy mitts all game

Yeah I forgot about that goal line fumble which was setup by a muff by Bush on a punt return. Peterson had two prior fumbles that game. Still he put up a lot of yards against an 8 man front while the DBs played man coverage the whole game.

Pelicans78
09-17-2016, 04:37 PM
That Jets team beat the Falcons with Chris Chandler out and a 44 year old Steve Deberg starting in his place.

JoeTait75
09-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Niners-Chargers

The Chargers have had several teams loaded with Super Bowl talent but the one that's actually gotten there might as well not even have boarded the plane. It would have been a more interesting game had the Steelers gotten there (as they should've.)

There have been a lot of Super Bowl blowouts but IMO Bears-Patriots, 49ers-Broncos and 49ers-Chargers stand out as SBs in which everyone knew going in there was no chance of even a competitive game.

As for the hypothetical Broncos-Vikings... I think Denver would've won that game fairly decisively, but it would've been nice to at least anticipate it.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Panthers would have destroyed New England last year

chunticakes
09-17-2016, 11:27 PM
:lolI could've gone back 2-3 more years from personal recollection*, but 1990 seemed like a nice flush date. Bill Callahan was a retard...makes me (almost) take Tim Brown's conspiracy theory seriously.

Great thread, tbh..

Mind filling me in on that theory scro?

DeadlyDynasty
09-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Great thread, tbh..

Mind filling me in on that theory scro?
spurraider21 could tell you better than me. The gist of it was Callahan changing the entire offensive gameplan (from run to pass) a day before the SB...some say to help out Jon Gruden. Either way, it fucked the Raiders up and caused center Barret Robbins to have an anxiety attack and go awol the day before the game. Years later Tim Brown and Jerry Rice talked about how this was sabotage.

Robz4000
09-18-2016, 05:22 AM
you said it all.

Silver&Black
09-18-2016, 08:07 AM
2002: Buccaneers-Eagles, NFCCG...Bucs finally overcame their Philly demons.

I still get chills when I think about Ronde Barber running back that 95 yard pick six.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But, I think that SB was the first time the NFL leading offense (Raiders) played the NFL leading defense (Bucs).

Tampa just had all the plays....you're right. But, it also didn't help the Raiders that their starting center would rather get fucked up in Tijuana than actually play the game.

Clipper Nation
09-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Panthers would have destroyed New England last year
:lmao No.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-18-2016, 10:53 AM
:lmao No.

No offensive line + no defense = yes

Clipper Nation
09-18-2016, 11:29 AM
No offensive line + no defense = yes
Mediocre quarterback who quits on his team = no.

Aztecfan03
09-20-2016, 09:27 AM
'06: Pats-Chargers

Avante
09-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Sorry but.....

Watching the old AFL from day one and the NFL it was real obvious the biggest difference was defense. Another obvious was speed, and the AFL had the edge. The reason being more black players were on those 8 AFL teams, they had a lot of HBCU players and guys from small colleges. (speedy black guys who didn't have the grades for the big schools)

Yes watching 34-31 games because nobody could stop anybody was exciting. And guys like the 250 pound FB Cookie Gilchrist*** the speedy Abner Haynes/Paul Lowe were very exciting. Gilchrist never even went to college, he went straight from HS to the CFL.

So the anticipation for an NFL vs AFL Championship game was something else. Could an NFL defense deal with the speed of an AFL team? Think about that debate right here if there had been the internet in the late 60's.

I still think the Chiefs could have beat any NFL team but the Packers.

My fav SB was Chiefs vs Vikes. That was right after the Jets had beat the Colts, with some thinking an AFL win was a fluke and if the Vikes had won, yep....fluke. With the Chiefs winning convincingly was a real big deal.

There were a lot of years where the big game was Cowboys vs Niners, Pats vs Colts which is why I'm not a fan of AFC/NFC, they need to dump that idea and try something where any two teams could meet in a SB.

No Steelers vs Raiders, no Cowboys vs Niners and no Tom vs Peyton in the biggie just ain't right.

Too bad they didn't play the biggie for the 1963 season, that Charger team with Lance Alworth, Paul Lowe, Keith Lincoln, Ron Mix was special. When they played that seasons AFL All Star game the starting backfield for the west....Tobin Rote at QB, then Lincoln, Lowe and Alworth. Yep, all Chargers.

*** guy was a pilot and owned a plane, he wanted to fly himself to the games, ha~~~~ Yep, that didn't work so he wasn't happy. This guy was a real character, but a fantastic runner, the first AFLer to have a 1000 yard season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-VeROi5kA

Clipper Nation
09-20-2016, 12:18 PM
No team with Marty Schottenheimer as their "coach" was ever going to win a Super Bowl.

spurraider21
09-20-2016, 02:27 PM

No team with Marty Schottenheimer as their "coach" was ever going to win a Super Bowl.
never, and i mean NEVER try to give any credit to a team CN "supports" when he's around. you will feel his wrath

Aztecfan03
09-21-2016, 01:23 AM
never, and i mean NEVER try to give any credit to a team CN "supports" when he's around. you will feel his wrath
they were my team until 2015, too.

Floyd Pacquiao
09-21-2016, 01:30 PM
2007 should've been Cowboys-Patriots.
If Patrick Crayton doesn't drop that huge 3rd down pass late in the 4th than the cowboys keep the drive alive and don't give Eli and the giants the ball back. Crayton probably would've scored if he would've caught it. Nobody was infront of him . Anthony Fasano also dropped a TD pass that hit him right in the chest right before the half. So unlucky.

Darth_Pelican
09-21-2016, 03:05 PM
1992: Cowboys-49ers, NFCCG
1993: Cowboys-49ers, NFCCG
1994: Cowboys-49ers, NFCCG

Loved those games. Both of those teams were so good.

manufan10
09-22-2016, 12:48 PM

I've never seen a "fan" hate on his favorite teams as much as CN. :lol