PDA

View Full Version : A problem for the left: political correctness

RandomGuy
09-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Sam Harris on Islam, the Left, Trump, and Hillary:

If you want to hear someone with some criticism of the left that any good liberal should be nodding. Skip to about the 11:00 minute mark for the first bit.

He also has some very unpopular opinions on Islam that gets him a lot of criticism from the left. I have come fairly close to his viewpoint.

5EarzbmO3oU

TheSanityAnnex
09-20-2016, 05:30 PM
Interesting comments starting at 44:45 about liberal college students supporting Trump and *gasp* the face of the alt-rights flaming gay black dick loving racist Milo Yiannopoulos

boutons_deux
09-20-2016, 05:52 PM
is there a transcript?

not gonna waste an listening, or nodding, to this asshole

TheSanityAnnex
09-20-2016, 05:58 PM
is there a transcript?

not gonna waste an listening, or nodding, to this asshole
Open in a separate window and listen to it while you spam the forum for the next hour

baseline bum
09-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Sam Harris on Islam, the Left, Trump, and Hillary:

If you want to hear someone with some criticism of the left that any good liberal should be nodding. Skip to about the 11:00 minute mark for the first bit.

He also has some very unpopular opinions on Islam that gets him a lot of criticism from the left. I have come fairly close to his viewpoint.

5EarzbmO3oU

Can you paraphrase in your own words? Or at least give a quick summary that might motivate one to actually click a one hour plus long youtube video? I agree a lot with Bill Maher on Islam when he is infuriated by the false equivalences American liberals make between Christianity and Islam and how liberals are so quick to make excuses for that fucked up religion. I also agree a lot with Dawkins, he shreds moderate Islam in The God Delusion, it's a great read.

boutons_deux
09-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Open in a separate window and listen to it while you spam the forum for the next hour

take my bitch slappings like a little bitch

101A
09-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Great discussion. Thanks for posting. Seriously.

DarrinS
09-20-2016, 06:31 PM
Can you paraphrase in your own words? Or at least give a quick summary that might motivate one to actually click a one hour plus long youtube video? I agree a lot with Bill Maher on Islam when he is infuriated by the false equivalences American liberals make between Christianity and Islam and how liberals are so quick to make excuses for that fucked up religion. I also agree a lot with Dawkins, he shreds moderate Islam in The God Delusion, it's a great read.

Then you would tend to agree with Sam Harris.

Watching Ben Affleck get "triggered" on Maher's show was hilarious.

TheGreatYacht
09-21-2016, 12:05 PM
A problem for the left?

You gobble necked right wing pussies were the ones clinching your tight assholes after she called you deplorable :lmao

mingus
09-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Then you would tend to agree with Sam Harris.

Watching Ben Affleck get "triggered" on Maher's show was hilarious.

Yeah I mean the problem with taking what these celebrities say at more than anything than face value is their entire careers are based off trying not to offend their audience--well except White (mainly conservative and/or Christian people), who also happen to be the same people who give them basically all their money & fame, since that's who demographically makes up the majority of Western society.

It's really just narcissism. I mean NONE of these celebrities really have differing views (if that's what they ACTUALLY believe, which I highly doubt many do), or at least the ones who express them publicly.

But I guess they have to work within the parameters set by the media elites, and I doubt I'd have the balls to go against them if I was in their position either given how incredibly comfortable & blindingly good they must have it.

That said, Maher is one of the very, very few dudes on TV--conservative or liberal, comedian or otherwise--that actually says pretty much whatever the hell he wants to say, offensive or not. But even then, I think he holds back some. At least he has a fair balance of guests on though that have different opinions, which makes up for that.

boutons_deux
09-21-2016, 06:20 PM
A problem for the left?

You gobble necked right wing pussies were the ones clinching your tight assholes after she called you deplorable :lmao

And the Christian Taliban are SO OFFENDED, INCENSED when somebody or some company says Happy Holidays instead Merry CHRISTMAS. bullshit "War On Christmas"

And the Christian Taliban are SO OFFENDED, INCENSED when there is any pushback against their Christian Sharia, creationism, etc bullshit "War On Christians"

DarrinS
09-21-2016, 07:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsVONO75utI

diego
09-21-2016, 08:27 PM
A problem for the left?

Came in to say the same thing, PC is used by everyone since forever, but it was invented by conservatives. It's their fucking raison d'etre.

As far as Islam goes, I think it's fucking stupid, that doesn't mean it's fair to treat all Muslims as terrorists when the vast majority of them are not, and the ones that are are clearly motivated by revenge for Western atrocities that are despicable and "terrorist". It's yet another double standard to cry wolf when some jihadi idiot beheads some poor journalist, then claim "collateral" when a group of kids are killed. If you think that because the jihadi said some bullshit about God before killing his victim that that makes it worse then the trained, most expensive, largest army on earth "accidentally" killing hundreds of people year after year, then clearly your agenda is more important to you than any concept of justice.

TeyshaBlue
09-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Came in to say the same thing, PC is used by everyone since forever, but it was invented by conservatives. It's their fucking raison d'etre.

As far as Islam goes, I think it's fucking stupid, that doesn't mean it's fair to treat all Muslims as terrorists when the vast majority of them are not, and the ones that are are clearly motivated by revenge for Western atrocities that are despicable and "terrorist". It's yet another double standard to cry wolf when some jihadi idiot beheads some poor journalist, then claim "collateral" when a group of kids are killed. If you think that because the jihadi said some bullshit about God before killing his victim that that makes it worse then the trained, most expensive, largest army on earth "accidentally" killing hundreds of people year after year, then clearly your agenda is more important to you than any concept of justice.

Invented. :lmao

Might want to read up on it's origins a bit.

Here's a decent starter.
http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/30/what-the-hell-does-politically-correct-m

diego
09-22-2016, 07:33 AM
You're talking about a term, a phrase. I'm talking about a concept. Politically correct refers to what is socially acceptable speech/thought/behavior. A "conservative" aims to maintain a status quo of what is acceptable and what isn't. Call it what you want, but when one group tries to force it's norms on another that is "pc" censorship and conservatives by definition were the first to achieve that.

DarrinS
09-22-2016, 08:20 AM
You're talking about a term, a phrase. I'm talking about a concept. Politically correct refers to what is socially acceptable speech/thought/behavior. A "conservative" aims to maintain a status quo of what is acceptable and what isn't. Call it what you want, but when one group tries to force it's norms on another that is "pc" censorship and conservatives by definition were the first to achieve that.

:lol

TeyshaBlue
09-22-2016, 10:10 AM

Actually read my link.

clambake
09-22-2016, 11:08 AM
i blame the chem trails.

TeyshaBlue
09-22-2016, 12:31 PM
i blame the chem trails.

One hair at a time plz.

boutons_deux
09-22-2016, 12:40 PM
"political correctness" is a 4-letter word in the mouths of Repugs/Fox to trash anyone not of their persuasion, as being overly sensitive to insults, racism, bigotry, xenophobia from Repugs/Fox/rightwingnuts/gun-fellators.

DarrinS
09-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Political correctness is an outdated term. The real problem is the SJW disease that is speading like Ebola.

UNT Eagles 2016
09-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Dumb liberal chickenshit ID# 561N8793

UNT Eagles 2016
09-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Political correctness is an outdated term. The real problem is the SJW disease that is speading like Ebola.

not like Ebola, because Ebola died out after 2014. It's spreading like iPhone technology, or the black plague in the 1300s.

spurraider21
09-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Basically this. There will aways be some standards of what is and isn't acceptable to say, and people generally agree on those standards (using slurs publicly, etc). The sjw movement is taking that concept and push it to a ridiculous extreme.

spurraider21
09-22-2016, 01:20 PM
^bigot, xenophobe, islamophobe

RandomGuy
09-22-2016, 03:14 PM

I agree. This is something that the left needs to be dealing with as well.

It is something like the emergence of the tea party movement on the right, with its over-simplified worldview, and exaggerated sense of victimhood.

RandomGuy
09-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Great discussion. Thanks for posting. Seriously.

You are welcome.

Harris is worth spending some time listening to, IMO. We need more smart commentary.

RandomGuy
09-22-2016, 03:20 PM
^bigot, xenophobe, islamophobe

Harris takes great pains to emphasize the criticism of an idea, Islam, with the criticism of people, muslims.

As an atheist, I tend to think all religions are little more than superstition. Only a fool, though, would think all of them are equally dumb.

Islam is in need of an Enlightenment so it can cast away the stupid immoral shit in the Quran the way that Western Europe cast away the stupid immoral shit in the bible.

RandomGuy
09-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Harris actually talks about both Maher and Dawkins.

He outlines some reasons to vote for Hillary, namely she is singularly well-qualified and intelligent, in a way that Trump is most definitely not, and fleshes that out.

He also takes a very rational look at the email thing for Hillary (roughly: "stupid, but not something that rises to deal-breaker level").

You will probably find yourself nodding a lot.

My commutes are long enough to listen to the whole thing, so I would recommend that.

spurraider21
09-22-2016, 03:27 PM
I agree. This is something that the left needs to be dealing with as well.

It is something like the emergence of the tea party movement on the right, with its over-simplified worldview, and exaggerated sense of victimhood.
:clap

spurraider21
09-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Harris takes great pains to emphasize the criticism of an idea, Islam, with the criticism of people, muslims.

As an atheist, I tend to think all religions are little more than superstition. Only a fool, though, would think all of them are equally dumb.

Islam is in need of an Enlightenment so it can cast away the stupid immoral shit in the Quran the way that Western Europe cast away the stupid immoral shit in the bible.
True. But it's going to have to start with the people who at this point seem to refuse to believe there's a widespread problem. They even mention Reza Aslan as an example of a guy who is something of an apologist who tries to act like there is absolutely nothing wrong with the state of islam.

I agree that religions are superstition, but as long as those superstitions are kept to themselves and not used to oppress others, I'm fine with their existence. If they give people a sense of purpose, peace, or moral values, then good for them, though I'd argue it's not necessary to be religious to have all those things.

So when I saw I find nothing inherently "wrong" with islam, that's what I refer to... but rather it's the people who have to change their approach to their religion, much like the enlightenment you mention.

DMX7
09-22-2016, 09:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsVONO75utI

He nailed it.

mingus
09-23-2016, 01:00 AM
True. But it's going to have to start with the people who at this point seem to refuse to believe there's a widespread problem. They even mention Reza Aslan as an example of a guy who is something of an apologist who tries to act like there is absolutely nothing wrong with the state of islam.

I agree that religions are superstition, but as long as those superstitions are kept to themselves and not used to oppress others, I'm fine with their existence. If they give people a sense of purpose, peace, or moral values, then good for them, though I'd argue it's not necessary to be religious to have all those things.

So when I saw I find nothing inherently "wrong" with islam, that's what I refer to... but rather it's the people who have to change their approach to their religion, much like the enlightenment you mention.

I think that would be something very, very hard to accomplish without some serious shifts in fundamental values of Islam as a whole, but especially the more extreme you go. Like, what Islam has to say about intermarriage & apostasy (punishable by death/stoning) contributes heavily to the inclusivity you see around the world--whether in scattered pockets throughout Europe, the Middle-East or even the Philipines--and it's been & just remained that way. If those are core beliefs of your religion, then there's really no point to come closer/mesh together with other people geographically or culturally. It's like a built-in defense against sharing the world with other people. Why put yourself in a situation where your more likely to knock up Christian? Only to get stoned...

Not sure those two beliefs are in Christianity. I don't think they are. I think they are in Judsism though. But if you have them in your teachings, then it kind of cuts you off from the rest of the world.

MannyIsGod
09-23-2016, 02:08 AM
Are Muslims behind more terror attacks than other religions worldwide? Are religous terror attacks more numerous than say, separatist group terror attacks? What happens when you normalize numbers for poverty?

Are you sure there aren't just a shitload of assumptions in this thread with no real data to back them up?

boutons_deux
09-23-2016, 05:17 AM
When hating all Muslims, the Muslim-haters refuse to acknowledge that Christian USA/UK invaded Muslim Iraq, kicking the hornet's nest.

Thanks, Repugs, IT'S ALL ON YOU ASSHOLES.

DMX7
09-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Congressman Pittenger doesn't have a problem with political correctness apparently.

Rep. Robert Pittenger: Charlotte Protesters 'Hate White People'

"The grievance in their mind is the animus, the anger," Pittenger told the [BBC], referring to the protesters in Charlotte. "They hate white people because white people are successful and they're not."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rep-robert-pittenger-sorry-saying-charlotte-protesters-hate-white-people-n653121

But he did apologize.

RandomGuy
09-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Are Muslims behind more terror attacks than other religions worldwide? Are religous terror attacks more numerous than say, separatist group terror attacks? What happens when you normalize numbers for poverty?

Are you sure there aren't just a shitload of assumptions in this thread with no real data to back them up?

Not all religions have identical central tenets. They are groups of ideas, and not all bad ideas are created equal.

boutons_deux
09-23-2016, 03:06 PM
"Are Muslims behind more terror attacks than other religions worldwide?"

What other religion has had several of its countries invaded, occupied, de-stabilized?

tlongII
09-23-2016, 03:50 PM
"Are Muslims behind more terror attacks than other religions worldwide?"

What other religion has had several of its countries invaded, occupied, de-stabilized?

That's just it. Religions shouldn't "have" countries.

TheSanityAnnex
09-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Are Muslims behind more terror attacks than other religions worldwide?

Can you find another group responsible for 1,186 deaths and 1,622 injured in just the last month?

http://thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/attacks.aspx?Yr=Last30

Edit: The chart with the attacks in the last 30 days was so big the site said it was too many characters for one post :lol

MannyIsGod
09-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Not all religions have identical central tenets. They are groups of ideas, and not all bad ideas are created equal.

You didn't address a single one of my points.

boutons_deux
09-23-2016, 08:31 PM
That's just it. Religions shouldn't "have" countries.

:lol Tell that to your buddies the Christian Taliban supremacists.

boutons_deux
09-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Can you find another group responsible for 1,186 deaths and 1,622 injured in just the last month?

http://thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/attacks.aspx?Yr=Last30

Edit: The chart with the attacks in the last 30 days was so big the site said it was too many characters for one post :lol

why make it one month. Bible-humping Repugs have slaughtered nearly 6000 US mililtary, 100Ks injured, Ms people killed or displaced, all for BigOil

spurraider21
09-23-2016, 08:35 PM
So it was for oil, not for jesus. Glad we cleared that up

boutons_deux
09-23-2016, 08:41 PM
So it was for oil, not for jesus. Glad we cleared that up

It was Bible-humping Christians in the WH, dubya even called it a crusade, with his gift of articulate phrase-making.