PDA

View Full Version : Duncan would have grabbed the rebound

phxspurfan
09-22-2016, 10:34 AM
If he wasn't on the bench

:depressed

bklynspursfan
09-22-2016, 10:44 AM
2014 happened.... Wouldn't have happened if 2013 didn't go down the way it did. And for me, I'm glad I was able to witness 2014...

The beautiful game > everything else

Chinook
09-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Lol I'm pretty sure Duncan was missing critical rebounds the very next season. I don't remember what the case was, exactly, but the folks who honestly believe Tim should have been in were all Stevie Wonder about that game. And that ignores how he can't really switch to save his life.

Now why Splitter wasn't in is a different matter entirely.

Solid D
09-22-2016, 10:55 AM
If he wasn't drawn away from the paint, perhaps. Who in this dimension knows what would have happened?

Dex
09-22-2016, 11:06 AM
There are about 100 ways that game could have played out differently, and none of them matter. Can't rewrite history.

apalisoc_9
09-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Splitter was really the giy that should have been up there. You try to contest the three first..thats what pop had in mind, but splitter being there would have solved both problems.

Duncan would have been too slow to catch up to the three pointers for a proper contest.

NameLess Scrub
09-22-2016, 11:55 AM
I think focusing on the missed FTs is better. It has less factors and variables.

In any case, '13 has been surprisingly hard for me to get over :depressed

Play Boban
09-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Lol at people still crying over 6. Enjoy 2014...

dabom
09-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Stop being a lil emo bitch. :lol

No offence OP.

SAGirl
09-22-2016, 12:41 PM
What I remember the most from that game were Manu's horrible TO. I was a lot more casual about the Spurs back then and I felt he threw away that game.

dabom
09-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Fathead. Worst draft pick ever. Haven't been the same since. :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
09-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Still would have rather had 2013 than 2014...

daslicer
09-22-2016, 02:00 PM
If the Spurs win in '13 then they probably don't win '14. When it comes to final rematches in NBA history the majority of times the team that had lost the first time wins in the rematch. Only the Jazz in '98 failed to win it's rematch with the bulls. With that being said I think it's a high probability the Heat would have won in '14 had the Spurs won in '13.

SAGirl
09-22-2016, 03:49 PM
I don't believe if they win one they don't win the other, that's a postmortem rationalization. They could have won both. By 2015, the other chance to repeat, age caught up with Tony and its been an uphill struggle since then. And now it's almost a completely different team around new stars.

It's pointless to ruminate about this too.

Almost as pointless as Tony vs Manu threads, but I think those are the worst. Might want to continue chatting about all those that got away ... :wakeup

ElNono
09-22-2016, 03:59 PM
:cry still hurts

BillMc
09-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

SAGirl
09-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?
:lol took me a while to get this joke. Good one bill. :toast
:flag:

BillMc
09-22-2016, 04:21 PM
:lol took me a while to get this joke. Good one bill. :toast
:flag:
:toast

TD 21
09-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Splitter was really the giy that should have been up there. You try to contest the three first..thats what pop had in mind, but splitter being there would have solved both problems.

Duncan would have been too slow to catch up to the three pointers for a proper contest.

Strategically, obviously it was a no brainer, but that ignores the circumstances, which go with saying. Factor them in and it was probably a more difficult decision than it might have seemed on the surface.

The Splitter fan boys seem to forget that he had literally become unplayable in those Finals, to the point that Duncan sat all of (I believe) 31 seconds to start the 4th, (with Diaw masquerading as a center) his only rest of the 2nd half and he inevitably ran out of gas.

I'd have trusted Duncan, on one leg, before I'd have trusted Splitter, given what was at stake.

I don't believe if they win one they don't win the other, that's a postmortem rationalization. They could have won both.

Yeah, I've come around on this thinking. They might not win in as spectacular a fashion in '14, but so long as they get the breaks they needed to get past the Thunder, I still think they win.

DeRozan m8
09-22-2016, 04:43 PM
The turnovers....

Chillen
09-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Pop definitely cost the Spurs a championship having Duncan on the bench, but the missed free throws was really the catalyst for the Spurs late in that game. Spurs still had game 7 to redeem themselves, Miami was just the better team that season, no excuses. Spurs were by far the better team the following season in 2014, they wanted it so badly, nothing was stopping them.

lefty20
09-22-2016, 05:05 PM
but then again 2014... so /shrug :flag:

dabom
09-22-2016, 05:12 PM
2014 was a continuation of 2013. Spurs destroyed the heatles. Any time anyone brings up 2013, they have to finish with 2014. :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
09-22-2016, 05:46 PM
2014 was a continuation of 2013. Spurs destroyed the heatles. Any time anyone brings up 2013, they have to finish with 2014. :lol

unfortunately, you can also say that with 2008 vs 2010 nba finals... or even 2003 vs 2004 wcsf.

dabom
09-22-2016, 05:59 PM
unfortunately, you can also say that with 2008 vs 2010 nba finals... or even 2003 vs 2004 wcsf.

Not really. :lol

Seventyniner
09-22-2016, 07:01 PM
Leaving Duncan on the bench was absolutely the right decision. I'm taking that opinion to my grave goddammit.

phxspurfan
09-22-2016, 07:11 PM
We were soooo the better team and everyone knew it. That's what hurts. That ring should have an * for the Heat.

SWmQbk5h86w

Chris
09-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Manu fouled Dirk

Barry got fouled

kobyz
09-23-2016, 04:55 AM
Not to foul in that situation was the biggest mistake and the most pathetic move ever by a coach, all of you pretenders can ignure it as much as you want but it cost us the most exciting title, cost us being now with 6 titles and Duncan with another fmvp, cost Duncan to be consider right now top 2 player of all time... Someone who is not still crying and devastating by it he's not a true fan...

cd021
09-23-2016, 05:45 AM
Had it happened the following year, I think Cojo may have been in the game for Parker. Obviously a better defender and a above average rebounder. I get the logic behind Pop going KL and Diaw at the big spots because of the threat of a 5-4 pick and roll involving Bosh and Lebron. If Duncan were in the game then Bosh probably have gotten an open three or Duncan would have been switched on to Lebron. Either way, that would have put Duncan out of position.

cd021
09-23-2016, 05:46 AM
Leaving Duncan on the bench was absolutely the right decision. I'm taking that opinion to my grave goddammit.

I agree. Right decision. Pop benching both Parker and Duncan for the first 5:30 of the 4th causing a 10 point lead to drop to 4 with Miami able to get back into it was just plain awful. I was screaming at my TV. He could have played Parker for the first 4 minutes and then swapped in Duncan after the timeout with Parker coming back in around the four minute mark. Both were the reason why the Spurs were dominating Miami, one should have been on the floor.

Play Boban
09-23-2016, 07:00 AM
I don't believe if they win one they don't win the other, that's a postmortem rationalization. They could have won both. By 2015, the other chance to repeat, age caught up with Tony and its been an uphill struggle since then. And now it's almost a completely different team around new stars.

It's pointless to ruminate about this too.

Almost as pointless as Tony vs Manu threads, but I think those are the worst. Might want to continue chatting about all those that got away ... :wakeup
Age had caught up with Porker in 2014, too. He was garbage, but we still won.

lefty
09-23-2016, 08:05 AM
:cry it stil hurts

Uriel
09-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Manu fouled Dirk

Barry got fouled
The Spurs plane got stuck on the tarmac the night before Game 1

Manu broke his arm on the last game of the season

The refs bailed out OKC in the 4th quarter of Game 6

The Pelicans beat us on the last game of the season

Dion Waiters committed a violation on the inbounds

Darius Bieber
09-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Still would have rather had 2013 than 2014...

T-Mac would have gotten the ring he deserved.

phxspurfan
09-24-2016, 04:55 PM
T-Mac would have gotten the ring he deserved.

PEDs are gr8

DMC
09-24-2016, 11:44 PM
TMac did get the ring he deserved.

BillMc
09-25-2016, 01:17 AM
The Spurs plane got stuck on the tarmac the night before Game 1

Manu broke his arm on the last game of the season

The refs bailed out OKC in the 4th quarter of Game 6

The Pelicans beat us on the last game of the season

Dion Waiters committed a violation on the inbounds

Archduke Ferdinand got murdered in Sarajevo.

Spurtacular
09-27-2016, 02:16 PM
2014 happened.... Wouldn't have happened if 2013 didn't go down the way it did. And for me, I'm glad I was able to witness 2014...

The beautiful game > everything else

Back to back would have happened finally, tbh.

bklynspursfan
09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Back to back would have happened finally, tbh.

Doubt they win again if they won in 2013. The same fire wouldn't have been there.

NameLess Scrub
09-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I've come around on this thinking. They might not win in as spectacular a fashion in '14, but so long as they get the breaks they needed to get past the Thunder, I still think they win.

It's always mixed with '14. It was awesome and unbelievable. The way they played was just inspiring.

However, '13 was also stupid dreamy. I couldn't believe "old, out of title window" Spurs were actually figuring out Lebron's super team, the first time they got the chance, 3 years into that super team's era. Winning '13 would have meant 4 FMVPs for Timmy. Repeating, 4 FMVPs and 6 titles, and a repeat.

Can't Kobe/Phil that up.

cd98
09-28-2016, 10:00 AM
People always say that Tim would have grabbed the rebound, but Tim also wouldn't have guarded the initial play for the three point shot very well because he wasn't mobile enough and Chris Bosh had already hit a game winning three earlier in the year (regular season) against the Spurs in SanAntonio. There is just no way to know if the Spurs would have won with Duncan in the game. It could be that they lose either way. Biggest problem was the missed free throws and confused play of veterans down the stretch that allowed Miami to get back in it. That's on veterans playing poorly when it mattered most.

SupremeGuy
09-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Holy shit, not this again.

Spurtacular
09-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Doubt they win again if they won in 2013. The same fire wouldn't have been there.

I never bought that. If they won in 2013, they'd have been plenty motivated to repeat, imo. 2015 wasn't a lack of motivation as it was just a tired and injured year after three straight deep runs.

cd98
09-28-2016, 01:38 PM
I never bought that. If they won in 2013, they'd have been plenty motivated to repeat, imo. 2015 wasn't a lack of motivation as it was just a tired and injured year after three straight deep runs.

Injured Splitter cost us a title run that year.

SAGirl
09-28-2016, 01:52 PM
"Manu what are you doing.... Helll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
WTH Pop, what is Manu doing in this game???

That is what I remember.

SAGirl
09-28-2016, 01:53 PM
agreed. they really could have won B2B.... almost did it... almost.

Clipper Nation
09-28-2016, 02:00 PM
:lol Porker stans still blaming Manu when their boy got emasculated by Chris "RuPaul" Bosh and dominated by Mario Chalmers.

Spurtacular
09-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Injured Splitter cost us a title run that year.

Probably.

Budkin
09-28-2016, 08:03 PM
If Duncan was in the game LeBron probably would have hit the 3.

tonight...you
09-28-2016, 08:17 PM
:lol Porker stans still blaming Manu when their boy got emasculated by Chris "RuPaul" Bosh and dominated by Mario Chalmers.
http://a.fod4.com/misc/Bosh%20Lookover.gif

HI-FI
09-29-2016, 01:00 AM
I don't think SpursTalk has ever been the same after 6. The owner basically disappeared and used his alt to shit on his creation for like the next year or so.

Despite what stat geeks say I still think pulling Duncan was the wrong move. It was just one of those spontaneous, instinctive things you don't do imo. Pop took on the basketball gods with his enormous ego and lost.
Still, the bball gods took mercy on us by a)hobbling Parker in the 2014 playoffs and b)blowing out the AC so Lebron's PEDs could backfire.

I also don't believe the Spurs repeat if they won in 2013. Besides 2014 was more fulfilling since Spurs beat the Thunder in epic fashion. People were bitching in 2013 how the Spurs lucked out so it was great to face those fuckers head on. In the end it all worked out.

What I remember the most from that game were Manu's horrible TO. I was a lot more casual about the Spurs back then and I felt he threw away that game.
Both Manu and Parker really shit the bed in the Finals. If you ever get time, check out ElNono 's defense of Manu from the 2013 Finals. It's something else. He exhausted his entire mathematical and legal background to spin Manu's shit sandwhich. Even Joseph Goebbels and Josh Earnest were like "damn. Respect."

kobyz
09-29-2016, 01:23 AM
Duncan or not Duncan, that not the question, if you want them not making a three, Why to even let them oportonity to get a shot for a three, just foul! Easiest dicision that could be for a coach! Such absord and agorance moment by Pop cost us so much for no reason... There never be and never will be such naive stuff in sport, we as spurs fans are victims of the most disappointment and embarrassment moment ever in sport!

tbdog
09-29-2016, 01:34 AM
We tried fouling once, the following year against the Pistons. We lost the game. Some reason USA coaches don't employ that tactic.

ElNono
09-29-2016, 02:19 AM
Both Manu and Parker really shit the bed in the Finals. If you ever get time, check out ElNono 's defense of Manu from the 2013 Finals. It's something else. He exhausted his entire mathematical and legal background to spin Manu's shit sandwhich. Even Joseph Goebbels and Josh Earnest were like "damn. Respect."

:lol

Goebbels still posts here, tbh... under an alt obviously

SAGirl
09-29-2016, 03:06 AM
I don't think SpursTalk has ever been the same after 6. The owner basically disappeared and used his alt to shit on his creation for like the next year or so.

Despite what stat geeks say I still think pulling Duncan was the wrong move. It was just one of those spontaneous, instinctive things you don't do imo. Pop took on the basketball gods with his enormous ego and lost.
Still, the bball gods took mercy on us by a)hobbling Parker in the 2014 playoffs and b)blowing out the AC so Lebron's PEDs could backfire.

I also don't believe the Spurs repeat if they won in 2013. Besides 2014 was more fulfilling since Spurs beat the Thunder in epic fashion. People were bitching in 2013 how the Spurs lucked out so it was great to face those fuckers head on. In the end it all worked out.

Both Manu and Parker really shit the bed in the Finals. If you ever get time, check out ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) 's defense of Manu from the 2013 Finals. It's something else. He exhausted his entire mathematical and legal background to spin Manu's shit sandwhich. Even Joseph Goebbels and Josh Earnest were like "damn. Respect."
I was a lot more casual about the Spurs back then and not to be disrespectful but I don't care about the Tiny vs Manu thing at all. I remember what I remember and I found it hard to watch the game after Manu started throwing the ball. Maybe it's a memory swipe after that. It only kept getting worse, but it seemed like the point of no return started there. Maybe I was too casual, vanilla take, with cherry on top, but I remember what I remember and that shit was deflating. I don't have a stake in these debates.

kobyz
09-29-2016, 04:52 AM
We tried fouling once, the following year against the Pistons. We lost the game. Some reason USA coaches don't employ that tactic.
We lost not because we fouled...

Horse
09-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Lol I'm pretty sure Duncan was missing critical rebounds the very next season. I don't remember what the case was, exactly, but the folks who honestly believe Tim should have been in were all Stevie Wonder about that game. And that ignores how he can't really switch to save his life.

Now why Splitter wasn't in is a different matter entirely.
Maybe he couldn't do it consistently anymore but his whole career when you need TD he comes up big.

NameLess Scrub
09-29-2016, 01:27 PM
agreed. they really could have won B2B.... almost did it... almost.

Spurs could have very well threepeated, tbh.

I love the Spurs so much and dislike Lebron's stuff so much, I could have probably retired from watching basketball on an 80s freeze frame on the air, if that threepeat had happened.

NameLess Scrub
09-29-2016, 01:30 PM
I was a lot more casual about the Spurs back then and not to be disrespectful but I don't care about the Tiny vs Manu thing at all. I remember what I remember and I found it hard to watch the game after Manu started throwing the ball. Maybe it's a memory swipe after that. It only kept getting worse, but it seemed like the point of no return started there. Maybe I was too casual, vanilla take, with cherry on top, but I remember what I remember and that shit was deflating. I don't have a stake in these debates.

I insist, easiest variable to control was the FTs. Standing there, making 1 more, that would have put MIA in a harder position. Best case for them was to make a 3, then keep fouling, instead of getting the breath of tying the game and going to OT, at home.

TOs and specially rebounds could have gone another way, except for the evidently unforced TOs, which did not have to result in a made basket anyway.

phxspurfan
09-29-2016, 02:04 PM
If Duncan was in the game LeBron probably would have hit the 3.

Since when has LeBron ever hit a clutch 3. I'll take my chances over leaving Ray Allen wide open

dabom
09-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Both Manu and Parker really shit the bed in the Finals. If you ever get time, check out ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) 's defense of Manu from the 2013 Finals. It's something else. He exhausted his entire mathematical and legal background to spin Manu's shit sandwhich. Even Joseph Goebbels and Josh Earnest were like "damn. Respect."

:lol

Then he injured tiago and tim. :pctoss

maverick1948
09-30-2016, 05:07 PM
If all five Spurs players had stayed at the 3 pt line, no 3 pt shooter would have been left open with an exra in the passing lanes. A 2 pt did the Heat no good, they were down 3. The rebound would have had nothing to do with the game if there was no one to pass out the ball for another shot. Also, fouling Bosh on the rebound would have been acceptable. 2 shots and only 5 seconds. Then Timmy would have made a difference, but he would have been a liability during the inbound. That said Manu Danny and Boris all crashed the boards leaving open 2 3 pt shooters and they got burned.

phxspurfan
10-01-2016, 09:46 PM
l9RzdcMlovU

Hard to say this but SAS had this completely right

sasaint
10-01-2016, 10:42 PM
l9RzdcMlovU

Hard to say this but SAS had this completely right

Perfect storm of choke and fix. I avoided this thread until now, knowing it would make me ill to review GAME 6. It did.

SAGirl
10-02-2016, 02:04 AM
Perfect storm of choke and fix. I avoided this thread until now, knowing it would make me ill to review GAME 6. It did.
Watching this will change your mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH7i_x-naQw

ohhhhh I am now melancholic for that season.

Fireball
10-02-2016, 03:40 AM
why are you still argueing about this ... the following season would not have happened and that championship felt sweeter than anything ...

kobyz
10-02-2016, 05:21 AM
why are you still argueing about this ... the following season would not have happened and that championship felt sweeter than anything ...

Not to foul in that situation was the biggest mistake and the most pathetic move ever by a coach, all of you pretenders can ignure it as much as you want but it cost us the most exciting title, cost us being now with 6 titles and Duncan with another fmvp, cost Duncan to be consider right now top 2 player of all time... Someone who is not still crying and devastating by it he's not a true fan...

DeadlyDynasty
10-02-2016, 06:11 AM
It will haunt you till your dying day

sasaint
10-02-2016, 10:19 AM
:tu kobyz Probably Pop's WORST coaching job, beginning-to-end EVER.