PDA

View Full Version : No interest in NBA season?

Spurs9
09-22-2016, 01:02 PM
Anyone else feeling no interest in this upcoming NBA season? After the weakest move in NBA history having Durrant join the warriors, it feels like a waste of time investing anything to watch games. How is the NBA going to try to sell games on a nightly basis, as if the finals aren't already pretty clear. Its going to be another season of nauseating games of golden state with the todays NBA 3 chuckers trying to "prove" people wrong and go for more 3 point records. Whos going to make the playoffs and seeding won't matter, the games won't mean anything. TNT pushing a Warriors/Houston Heat/NY double header games? The only variable that could change things would be injury. I've never watched football much in past years but have been getting into it alot more recently, at least there is some uncertainty of who can actually make it to the superbowl, you generally never can say fully at the start of a season who will get there. Much more variables to make it interesting to watch than todays NBA. I think the Spurs are the only constructed team in the west who have any chance against the Warriors and even at that I don't see them going past them in the playoffs. The league would have been much better off having some better measures with the cap increase over 1 season to keep the league more competitive and prevent teams for spending crazy money on scrubs and making those teams less competitive in the future because of the financial burden. Stern would have probably have managed it better as funny as it is to say that.

NameLess Scrub
09-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Anyone else feeling no interest in this upcoming NBA season? After the weakest move in NBA history having Durrant join the warriors, it feels like a waste of time investing anything to watch games. How is the NBA going to try to sell games on a nightly basis, as if the finals aren't already pretty clear. Its going to be another season of nauseating games of golden state with the todays NBA 3 chuckers trying to "prove" people wrong and go for more 3 point records. Whos going to make the playoffs and seeding won't matter, the games won't mean anything. TNT pushing a Warriors/Houston Heat/NY double header games? The only variable that could change things would be injury. I've never watched football much in past years but have been getting into it alot more recently, at least there is some uncertainty of who can actually make it to the superbowl, you generally never can say fully at the start of a season who will get there. Much more variables to make it interesting to watch than todays NBA. I think the Spurs are the only constructed team in the west who have any chance against the Warriors and even at that I don't see them going past them in the playoffs. The league would have been much better off having some better measures with the cap increase over 1 season to keep the league more competitive and prevent teams for spending crazy money on scrubs and making those teams less competitive in the future because of the financial burden. Stern would have probably have managed it better as funny as it is to say that.

In before "Stern would've sent Durant to the Lakers" comment.

And yes, it gets worse every year. But when the season starts, and you see the Spurs perform, you might get more invested, and look forward to Spurs' match ups with the superteams, at least.

Gametight
09-22-2016, 01:13 PM
I've lost interest due to Timmy retiring :depressed

SAGirl
09-22-2016, 01:23 PM
I am super ecstatic about the season.

For the Manu fan, his last season in all likelihood. You don't want to miss that.
There's a new star signed: Pau, a player the Spurs have coveted for a a while.
Kawhi. He is still young and developing as leader. It's a new dimension to watch.

There's an almost completely overhauled benched with a lot of youngsters that may see action at some points through the season and you get to watch their first steps in the league, their inaugural game, etc. One or two of them may become rotation players for the Spurs in future seasons. Hopefully a future difference maker among them. It should be interesting. (There's excitement over Bertans, Murray, even Garino). There are interesting rookies to watch.

IThis is a very intriguing season since there are new faces, maybe new schemes for Kawhi. And I look forward to watching Anderson, though I know he's not everyone's cup of tea. He is still developing too, ppl forget that, and there a lot of other new players. The season has a lot of intrigue. I don't care about other teams frankly.

Solid D
09-22-2016, 01:29 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/325/files/2015/02/zaza-pachulia-taj-gibson-nba-chicago-bulls-milwaukee-bucks.jpg

I am very interested. Change happens. It's inevitable. We saw something happen in the Finals that has never happened before. Down 1-3 and Cleveland reigns supreme. I've been watching the NBA for more than a half century and that was worth talking about! 2016-17 should be pretty cool. From a Spurs perspective, there is certainly reshaping going on. OKC is still a playoff team. Zaza Pachulia, JaVale McGee, and Damian Jones aren't exactly the great rim protection the Warriors got from Bogut and Ezeli. Golden State isn't a lock for the trophy.

UNT Eagles 2016
09-22-2016, 01:29 PM
I've lost interest due to Timmy retiring :depressed

Pretty much.

Chinook
09-22-2016, 02:20 PM
I have a lot more interest in the Spurs season than reading the OP.

Chinook
09-22-2016, 02:21 PM
To seriously answer the question in the thread title, not even close. I am more interested in this season than I have been in a few years (probably since Kawhi was drafted). So much uncertainty and potential.

EDIT: After skimming the OP, I see it's Warriors related. I gave exactly zero fucks about them before, and I give just as many about them now. The Spurs being interesting is more than enough for me.

dabom
09-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Lot of betas here. :lol

Solid D
09-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Lot of betas here. :lol

Sit down or bring a take, pipsqueak.

dabom
09-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Sit down or bring a take, pipsqueak.

Shut up faggot.

Solid D
09-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Relax, dabom. That was just a test to see if you've matured.

dabom
09-22-2016, 02:51 PM
You didn't get an emoji..

baseline bum
09-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Such crybaby crap. The Spurs still have a really good team I'm excited to watch next season.

TheGreatYacht
09-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Is Manu still playing? Yes? Then no

apalisoc_9
09-22-2016, 03:13 PM
To seriously answer the question in the thread title, not even close. I am more interested in this season than I have been in a few years (probably since Kawhi was drafted). So much uncertainty and potential.

EDIT: After skimming the OP, I see it's Warriors related. I gave exactly zero fucks about them before, and I give just as many about them now. The Spurs being interesting is more than enough for me.

This. I've never been this excited tbh. Kawhi is growing, potential to a be a great 60 win team, we have some possible decent rookies, deadmon is fuckig exciting..

It's a new leaf.

The fact that Golden State and Cleveland are seen as the better team makes me even more exilcited.

BillMc
09-22-2016, 04:33 PM
First season without TD is by default "interesting." Also, with such a new bench also interesting.

As far as the Dubs being a finals lock to the point where the season isn't even interesting, I'd say that super teams don't always win titles, certainly don't every year, and many super teams outright fail. And even if we accept the Dubs as a super team (which at this point they are only on paper), facing such a team with long odds is interesting in itself.

What is un-interesting is when you have a team that has no chance to make the playoffs and couldn't under any reasonable circumstances win the title. A situation Spurs fans haven't faced since...the 90's? Or more probably the 80's?

We're Gunsmoke or the Simpsons, baby. Some seasons are better than others, but we're always watchable and playing on and on for decades.

J_Paco
09-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Too many fairweather fans will bail without Timmy, but my fandom began before him and will continue until my time on Earth ends.

Excited to see the continued growth of Kawhi, the development of Murray, Bertans and Jean-Charles while this is Manu's farewell season.

TD 21
09-22-2016, 05:00 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/325/files/2015/02/zaza-pachulia-taj-gibson-nba-chicago-bulls-milwaukee-bucks.jpg

I am very interested. Change happens. It's inevitable. We saw something happen in the Finals that has never happened before. Down 1-3 and Cleveland reigns supreme. I've been watching the NBA for more than a half century and that was worth talking about! 2016-17 should be pretty cool. From a Spurs perspective, there is certainly reshaping going on. OKC is still a playoff team. Zaza Pachulia, JaVale McGee, and Damian Jones aren't exactly the great rim protection the Warriors got from Bogut and Ezeli. Golden State isn't a lock for the trophy.

I knew you were old, but :wow

It's not that the Warriors are necessarily unbeatable and they're definitely not without weakness, it's that the Spurs match-up too terribly against them for it to matter.

I went into greater detail in my thread, but long story short: They can't score on them and 3 of the top 7 players can't defend against them.

I know all those that were late to the bandwagon are thrilled to be moving on from the big three era (just wait until it sinks in that you're probably never witnessing another championship in your lifetime), but that hasn't changed.

The Spurs need to push for the 1 seed and hope the Clippers can eliminate them in the WCSF.

RD2191
09-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Regular season is too long and too boring, been saying this for years now. And now with KD joining GS the regular season becomes even less competitive.

Spurs9
09-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Regular season is too long and too boring, been saying this for years now. And now with KD joining GS the regular season becomes even less competitive.
Yeah, even if its not a lock for the dubs the amount of teams who can challenge them is pretty low. I guess there will still be some things of entertainment value like watching Westbrook trying to single handedly win games all season. Hopefully the teams who can actually challenge the warriors have improved some defensive schemes this season to not make it so easy for wide open 3 chucking. It still amazes me that Durrant joined that team after the WCF loss he gave away. I think overall the Spurs have rebuilt a really nice team and I'm looking forward to see what kind of future our new additions bring like Murray/Bertans.

Solid D
09-22-2016, 09:44 PM
I knew you were old, but :wow

Haha. Yeah. I started out as a Celtics fan when I was young. I'm old enough to have attended a regular season double-header at the Boston Garden. Bucks @ 76ers in the first game and the Hawks @ Celtics in the second game (Larry Siegfried, Sam Jones, Hondo Havlicek, Satch Sanders, Bill Russell, Bailey Howell, Don Nelson).

UNT Eagles 2016
09-22-2016, 09:51 PM
LJC is garbage as a two week old croque monsieur at the bottom of a dumpster.

Kikoluna
09-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Normally around this time I get excited about the upcoming season but this year is different. I guess the retirement of timmy and more images of kyle checking in can do that to a man

UNT Eagles 2016
09-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Normally around this time I get excited about the upcoming season but this year is different. I guess the retirement of timmy and more images of kyle checking in can do that to a man
Also, the best sport in the world is on right now and heating up and it's way more exciting than the 2 team league.

dabom
09-22-2016, 10:41 PM
No one gives a shit about fatball. :lmao

z0sa
09-22-2016, 10:47 PM
SPAM.

Clipper Nation
09-22-2016, 10:58 PM
I've found myself getting less excited for the NBA every year, not more. Watching your team invent new ways to humiliate themselves and their fans in the playoffs every year does that to you, I guess. Plus college football is in full swing, October baseball is just around the corner, and the NHL's on-ice product is the best it's been in a long time. All of them are putting out a better product on average than the NBA or NFL.

Dex
09-22-2016, 11:29 PM
I've found myself getting less excited for the NBA every year, not more. Watching your team invent new ways to humiliate themselves and their fans in the playoffs every year does that to you, I guess. Plus college football is in full swing, October baseball is just around the corner, and the NHL's on-ice product is the best it's been in a long time. All of them are putting out a better product on average than the NBA or NFL.

Spoken like a true Clipper fan. :bobo

picnroll
09-22-2016, 11:34 PM
Going to be tough for awhile not seeing TD on the court. Game to me is getting less interesting. I'm with Pop on thinking the three point shot is taking a lot out of the game. I think it would become more interesting if they just did away with it.

Russo21
09-23-2016, 12:12 AM
Pau dominated in the Olympic games I watched.
LMA in his second season with the Spurs has the potential to go off especially next to Gasol.
Kawhi going for a 3rd straight DPOY and will hopefully make MVP noise.
The starting front court is nasty and gives reason for hope. The backcourt on the other hand, I dunno.
Going into the season as massive underdogs due to Durant's pussyness. No pressure to ring and get 6 for Tim. Just relax enjoy the season and see how the Spurs go :)

ElNono
09-23-2016, 12:43 AM
Definitely interested here. By February I'm gonna want the playoffs to start already, but the start of the season is always exciting and welcome, IMO.

Fireball
09-23-2016, 02:12 AM
No interest is too harsh, but less interested ... Timmy is gone ... and given the level of competition only a 2nd year Boban might have been able to keep my interest.

Robz4000
09-23-2016, 02:45 AM
Rough to get excited about the season with Timmy gone, but once it gets going my interest level is bound to grow. Dubs are more than likely winning it all, but with the injury history of their top two players anything can happen.

hsxvvd
09-23-2016, 05:02 AM
I'm not feeling all that interested in what appears to be a done deal for the warriors, but I'm sure at some point in the season I'll be lured in falsely thinking someone else has a chance.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-23-2016, 05:55 AM
Not too interested for the first time in years, but not because of Durant or the Warriors. It'll probably change when the season begins, though.

Would have been more excited for Manu's last year if I wasn't expecting a season of struggle for him, similar to TD's. Our rookies are at least a year away from being interesting. Pop is kind of less invested it seems and will probably be affected by Timmy's absence. Only Kawhi's development is a possible highlight. Very meh.

NameLess Scrub
09-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Yeah, even if its not a lock for the dubs the amount of teams who can challenge them is pretty low. I guess there will still be some things of entertainment value like watching Westbrook trying to single handedly win games all season. Hopefully the teams who can actually challenge the warriors have improved some defensive schemes this season to not make it so easy for wide open 3 chucking. It still amazes me that Durrant joined that team after the WCF loss he gave away. I think overall the Spurs have rebuilt a really nice team and I'm looking forward to see what kind of future our new additions bring like Murray/Bertans.

How do teams plan for illegal screens? :lol

I understand the lack of interest. The league keeps getting watered down due to the mindset of the current superstars.

However, it's still a possibility that the Warriors will not gel very well. They could get injured, and they could cool down. We never know when Curry might just stop making half court game winners.

TD 21
09-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Haha. Yeah. I started out as a Celtics fan when I was young. I'm old enough to have attended a regular season double-header at the Boston Garden. Bucks @ 76ers in the first game and the Hawks @ Celtics in the second game (Larry Siegfried, Sam Jones, Hondo Havlicek, Satch Sanders, Bill Russell, Bailey Howell, Don Nelson).

Given the prominent names missing, both from the late 50's-mid 60's (Cousy, Sharman, Heinsohn) and the 70's (Cowens, White, Silas), I take it this was the late 60's iteration? How did K.C. Jones not get a mention? :toast

Solid D
09-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Given the prominent names missing, both from the late 50's-mid 60's (Cousy, Sharman, Heinsohn) and the 70's (Cowens, White, Silas), I take it this was the late 60's iteration? How did K.C. Jones not get a mention? :toast

Feb. 28, 1969 to be exact. I think K.C. was gone by then and Russell was a player coach at that time. Cousy was the first player I tried to emulate as a little kid.

By the way, Sam Jones won that game at the buzzer on about an 18 foot bank shot from the right wing. Still remember that one.

TD 21
09-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Feb. 28, 1969 to be exact. I think K.C. was gone by then and Russell was a player coach at that time. Cousy was the first player I tried to emulate as a little kid.

By the way, Sam Jones won that game at the buzzer on about an 18 foot bank shot from the right wing. Still remember that one.

Looking it up now, '66-'67 was K.C. Jones' final season. As an aside, Barnett (Warriors TV color analyst) and Embry (first "black" GM) were also on that team.

Sam Jones, the so called original master of the bank shot.

Solid D
09-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Looking it up now, '66-'67 was K.C. Jones' final season. As an aside, Barnett (Warriors TV color analyst) and Embry (first "black" GM) were also on that team.

Yeah, Sam shot bank shot jumpers all the time and from farther out on the floor than did Timmy. Havlicek was the perpetual motion guy, 100% effort all the time like Ginobili has been with the Spurs. The first time I saw Manu play for the Spurs as a rookie, I thought he reminded me of Havlicek, except he was a more clever passer than Jarrin' John was.

After moving to the midwest, I attended a few games and saw Tiny "Nate the Skate" Archibald when he was in KC. He was incredible. Also got to see the Big "O" at the end of his career when he was with the Bucks along with Alcindor/Jabbar and that great team (when they were in town to play the Kings).

SAGirl
09-23-2016, 06:12 PM

spurs10
09-23-2016, 06:28 PM
I can't wait for the season to start. A lot of new players, a formidable front-line, Green looking to redeem his RS from last year, and Manu coming back for another shot- what's not to be excited about. Last season watching GSW lose in the Finals was wonderful and I'm hoping poetic justice will raise its mighty hand and bitch slap Kevring Durbeta back to the Hoover Dam!

TD 21
09-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Sam shot bank shot jumpers all the time and from farther out on the floor than did Timmy. Havlicek was the perpetual motion guy, 100% effort all the time like Ginobili has been with the Spurs. The first time I saw Manu play for the Spurs as a rookie, I thought he reminded me of Havlicek, except he was a more clever passer than Jarrin' John was.

After moving to the midwest, I attended a few games and saw Tiny "Nate the Skate" Archibald when he was in KC. He was incredible. Also got to see the Big "O" at the end of his career when he was with the Bucks along with Alcindor/Jabbar and that great team (when they were in town to play the Kings).

So you've seen everyone from the mid 60's on? Impressive.

Solid D
09-23-2016, 06:59 PM
So you've seen everyone from the mid 60's on? Impressive.

Well, about 1962-63 (9) was when I started watching pro basketball, but back then, games weren't on all the time.

SpurPadre
09-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Living 25 minutes away from Oakland, this is gonna be an especially painful season to go through for me.

sasaint
09-23-2016, 11:09 PM

I loved watching Sam Jones. :tu

spurs10
09-24-2016, 12:34 AM
Living 25 minutes away from Oakland, this is gonna be an especially painful season to go through for me. You need to get an award or something!:toast

apalisoc_9
09-24-2016, 01:11 AM
Well, about 1962-63 (9) was when I started watching pro basketball, but back then, games weren't on all the time.

So be honest, how would basketball from the 60, 70, 80, 90 fare against todays atheletes and increasing level of skill play

SpurPadre
09-24-2016, 01:48 AM
You need to get an award or something!:toast

Yeah and I will go to all Spurs games there too as always...so that could turn out to be quite ugly. At least Bonner is finally gone!

Ice009
09-24-2016, 05:51 AM
I can't really put this more eloquently, but if you're not interested and don't believe before even one game is played - Fuck off and stop pissing and moaning about it here. Go do something else and stop wasting your time and other people's time here bitching about it.

Spurs have a really good team with some very, very good players, and I won't take it for granted. So many fans of other teams don't have much to look forward to, and would absolutely love to have a team like this current Spurs team to go for, but I guess that isn't good enough for a lot of the people around here. Spurs have a chance, and really, that is all you can ask for. If you don't believe, fuck off. I'll never bow down to Goldenstate or any other team. You try your hardest to beat them, not buy into the hype and give it your best shot and see what happens. No one is unbeatable. A lot of teams lose the game mentally to teams like this before it's even played.

DeadlyDynasty
09-24-2016, 06:37 AM
The NBA is just insignificant during the NFL season. It's a less exciting sport with no parity and a meaningless regular season. As always, the interest will increase once the SB is over.

CGD
09-24-2016, 07:22 AM
High Interest. In some ways I'm looking forward to the slog of the season more this year than in the past.

Really excited to see the young guys get a chance; to see if the stash strategy actually leads to a meaningful pipeline of decent role players over the next 2 years; and the Shit or get off the pot situation on Anderson and Simmons this year.

Lukewarm in Dedmon. I just have the feeling he's a one year deal. He'll get the Spurs brand behind him and then seek a bigger pay day elsewhere. Happy to be wrong.

I still don't fully get the Pau/LMA fit to be honest, and lukewarm on the other signing like Davis Lee.

sasaint
09-24-2016, 08:13 AM
High Interest. In some ways I'm looking forward to the slog of the season more this year than in the past.

Really excited to see the young guys get a chance; to see if the stash strategy actually leads to a meaningful pipeline of decent role players over the next 2 years; and the Shit or get off the pot situation on Anderson and Simmons this year.

Lukewarm in Dedmon. I just have the feeling he's a one year deal. He'll get the Spurs brand behind him and then seek a bigger pay day elsewhere. Happy to be wrong.

I still don't fully get the Pau/LMA fit to be honest, and lukewarm on the other signing like Davis Lee.

Exactly! I feel like i could actually watch Spurs games with you, sir. A lot of interesting stories will unfold this season. Go, Spurs, go! :toast

Solid D
09-24-2016, 11:57 AM
So be honest, how would basketball from the 60, 70, 80, 90 fare against todays atheletes and increasing level of skill play

The biggest differences are the average level of athleticism is a greater and, of course, the advanced dribbling skills with both hands. Players can get away with carrying the ball and traveling today so that has allowed better separation for shots. Average height is greater and players are thicker and more muscular today. In fact, training regimens are much more advanced as are shooting mechanics instruction.

Racial mix shift from predominantly white to predominantly black or African American over time. As you must know, prejudice was so bad that whites and blacks in the same swimming pool together in the early-mid 60s was rarely seen. The Southwest Conference offered its first scholarship to an African American in 1965 (Jerry Levias) and that was in football. That began to change in the later 60s.

There were great shooters who could have scored in any era: ex. Jerry West, Jerry Lucas or Rick Barry in the 60s; Gervin in the 70s and 80s. Great leapers likewise: Johnny Green or Joe Caldwell in the 60s; David Thompson in the 70s and 80s. Bill Russell could defend and rebound in any era but he was a pretty awful dribbler by today's standards. Bob Cousy and Earl Monroe were ball-handling role models for future generations but would be more average today. Dribbling behind the back was considered to be showing-off by most coaches in the 60s. I got pulled out of a game for doing it (lol). Today, it's done almost without thinking as part of every player's skillset.

The game was much more polite in the 60s with no pounding on the chest, flexing muscles, etc. That was considered bad sportsmanship. Many in the 60s still adhered to the standard of raising one's hand when one had committed a foul. Also, time was not kept to the tenth or hundredth of a second in the 60s so the last minute of games were not managed the way they are today. The early 60s just had a moving hand analog clock, not digital. Because of this change, there is so much more strategy with fouls, clock stoppages and timeouts today than there was in the 60s.

The 80s showtime Lakers, 90s Bulls, the 00s Lakers and Spurs, and current Cavs would all dominate the Celtics of the 60s.

Now, the tough question is if any of the 90s Bulls teams could have beaten the 2014 Finals Spurs. Those eras are much closer together.

apalisoc_9
09-24-2016, 12:13 PM
The NBA is just insignificant during the NFL season. It's a less exciting sport with no parity and a meaningless regular season. As always, the interest will increase once the SB is over.

The NBA season in general feels insignificant midseason and when teams are starting to rest. It really only matters at the start of the season and the playoffs for most fans. 82 games is way to long for some fans to care about a game in january.

apalisoc_9
09-24-2016, 12:14 PM
The biggest differences are the average level of athleticism is a greater and, of course, the advanced dribbling skills with both hands. Players can get away with carrying the ball and traveling today so that has allowed better separation for shots. Average height is greater and players are thicker and more muscular today. In fact, training regimens are much more advanced as are shooting mechanics instruction.

Racial mix shift from predominantly white to predominantly black or African American over time. As you must know, prejudice was so bad that whites and blacks in the same swimming pool together in the early-mid 60s was rarely seen. The Southwest Conference offered its first scholarship to an African American in 1965 (Jerry Levias) and that was in football. That began to change in the later 60s.

There were great shooters who could have scored in any era: ex. Jerry West, Jerry Lucas or Rick Barry in the 60s; Gervin in the 70s and 80s. Great leapers likewise: Johnny Green or Joe Caldwell in the 60s; David Thompson in the 70s and 80s. Bill Russell could defend and rebound in any era but he was a pretty awful dribbler by today's standards. Bob Cousy and Earl Monroe were ball-handling role models for future generations but would be more average today. Dribbling behind the back was considered to be showing-off by most coaches in the 60s. I got pulled out of a game for doing it (lol). Today, it's done almost without thinking as part of every player's skillset.

The game was much more polite in the 60s with no pounding on the chest, flexing muscles, etc. That was considered bad sportsmanship. Many in the 60s still adhered to the standard of raising one's hand when one had committed a foul. Also, time was not kept to the tenth or hundredth of a second in the 60s so the last minute of games were not managed the way they are today. The early 60s just had a moving hand analog clock, not digital. Because of this change, there is so much more strategy with fouls, clock stoppages and timeouts today than there was in the 60s.

The 80s showtime Lakers, 90s Bulls, the 00s Lakers and Spurs, and current Cavs would all dominate the Celtics of the 60s.

Now, the tough question is if any of the 90s Bulls teams could have beaten the 2014 Finals Spurs. Those eras are much closer together.

Thanks. DEX
midnightpulp

We got a dude here that lived through the 70s etc and here he is telling you how it is.

Old School 44
09-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Very interested and excited about this season. I'm looking forward to the new set of young guns in Bertans and Murray, as well as the further development of Kawhi. It should be a great season. I'll miss TD like most, but not sure why some are thinking there's going to be a big drop off without him. I think the Spurs will win 60+ games.

Man In Black
09-24-2016, 04:15 PM

What's up with the season is over before it starts talk? Unreal...that's a pussified attitude. I'm thinking you're a BOTTOM.

TD 21
09-24-2016, 05:18 PM

Yeah, I know, but even if you only saw them once or twice or whatever, you still saw them.

I can't really put this more eloquently, but if you're not interested and don't believe before even one game is played - Fuck off and stop pissing and moaning about it here. Go do something else and stop wasting your time and other people's time here bitching about it.

Spurs have a really good team with some very, very good players, and I won't take it for granted. So many fans of other teams don't have much to look forward to, and would absolutely love to have a team like this current Spurs team to go for, but I guess that isn't good enough for a lot of the people around here. Spurs have a chance, and really, that is all you can ask for. If you don't believe, fuck off. I'll never bow down to Goldenstate or any other team. You try your hardest to beat them, not buy into the hype and give it your best shot and see what happens. No one is unbeatable. A lot of teams lose the game mentally to teams like this before it's even played.

So if you don't have blind faith, you're automatically "pissing and moaning"?

It's not that I'm not looking forward to it, will be any less a fan, or "worship Golden State" (I'm pretty sure you know I despise that shit), it's that I'm realistic about their limitations.

I've still yet to hear the legions of supposed believers give an actual reason(s) why they have a realistic chance.

Spurtacular
09-24-2016, 08:32 PM
I downgraded from full league to team package for League Pass. The Spurs as a collective are still very interesting to me.

Clipper Nation
09-24-2016, 11:57 PM
Tbh, no parity and a meaningless regular season sounds a lot like the NFL of the Goodell era, too. Outside of a few one-year wonders, the NFL might as well not even exist outside of Foxboro, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Green Bay.

Duncanforthree
09-25-2016, 01:56 AM
Disinterested? Kind of. Losing the best player of the last twenty years will do that to a fanbase.

That being said,I still love this team and look forward to future titles without #21.

Wouldn't it be awesome if somehow we sent Manu out a winner?

Duncanforthree
09-25-2016, 02:01 AM
Also,fuck GSW. The choking bastards overcame every obstacle en route to a 73 win season,and a 7 game Finals only to lose to LeBron and his bitch made assemble mercenaries. Plus OKC beat us and then bent over and lost Durant to an even bigger bitch made team.

We lost Timmy,but we can still laugh at the way things played out.

gambit1990
09-25-2016, 02:35 AM
if you have no interest in the upcoming nba season... THEN TRY NOT POSTING IN AN NBA FORUM.

Ice009
09-25-2016, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I know, but even if you only saw them once or twice or whatever, you still saw them.

So if you don't have blind faith, you're automatically "pissing and moaning"?

It's not that I'm not looking forward to it, will be any less a fan, or "worship Golden State" (I'm pretty sure you know I despise that shit), it's that I'm realistic about their limitations.

I've still yet to hear the legions of supposed believers give an actual reason(s) why they have a realistic chance.

It's not blind faith. Spurs have a chance to win it all. It might be a very small chance, but it's a chance. I mean, right now, before watching any games I'd put them at about 5-10%, but that's better than 90% of the other teams in the league. I don't understand what people around here are looking for.

TD 21
09-25-2016, 04:34 PM
It's not blind faith. Spurs have a chance to win it all. It might be a very small chance, but it's a chance. I mean, right now, before watching any games I'd put them at about 5-10%, but that's better than 90% of the other teams in the league. I don't understand what people around here are looking for.

By this logic, the Raptors, Celtics or whoever else you think has a legit chance to be in the ECF, is a contender.

I'm not "looking for" anything. I'm just saying, I don't think they're contenders.

sasaint
09-25-2016, 05:20 PM

You and I started watching the NBA at about the same time. The Sunday game of the week (only after the NFL season ended) almost always featured the Celtics - and I lived in Texas! Your assessment of the difference in eras, athleticism, training, etc. seems very objective to me. As an old schooler, I rue all of the flexing, and strutting and posturing in all sports. When the game is over, and your team won - then you have latitude for puffing. Makes sports much less enjoyable for me. Striking some menacing pose and grimacing after making a slam dunk to take a 4 to 2 lead is preposterous. I always adhered to the Lombardi dictum, "When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." Draw your own basketball analogy. I also,wish that the league enforced rules like they did in the 60's. In my mind the NBA has the best athletes in the world. I would love to see them play a sport that enforced its rules. They don't need the extra help from the zebras. The zebras could truly enforce the rules, and today's NBA players are so good that the game would only be better. I blame David Stern for sacrificing the sport of basketball on the altar of entertainment. The NBA was a superior sport in the 60's played by inferior players; the NBA today is an inferior sport (?) played by superior players.

Solid D
09-25-2016, 05:28 PM
You and I started watching the NBA at about the same time. The Sunday game of the week (only after the NFL season ended) almost always featured the Celtics - and I lived in Texas! Your assessment of the difference in eras, athleticism, training, etc. seems very objective to me. As an old schooler, I rue all of the flexing, and strutting and posturing in all sports. When the game is over, and your team won - then you have latitude for puffing. Makes sports much less enjoyable for me. Striking some menacing pose and grimacing after making a slam dunk to take a 4 to 2 lead is preposterous. I always adhered to the Lombardi dictum, "When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." Draw your own basketball analogy. I also,wish that the league enforced rules like they did in the 60's. In my mind the NBA has the best athletes in the world. I would love to see them play a sport that enforced its rules. They don't need the extra help from the zebras. The zebras could truly enforce the rules, and today's NBA players are so good that the game would only be better. I blame David Stern for sacrificing the sport of basketball on the altar of entertainment. The NBA was a superior sport in the 60's played by inferior players; the NBA today is an inferior sport (?) played by superior players.

:tu

apalisoc_9
09-25-2016, 05:33 PM
I never understood the idea of "hating" showmanship. For some reason older guys, mostly white Americans have an extreme dislike towards showmanship.

I get that it's somewhat off putting and even my own Father doesnt like it...But showmanship is a necceary part of sports that enables hightened entertainment and viewrship.

Seriously, i doubt the sport would be as popular as it is. The biggest contributors to their own respective sport in terms of sport growth have been showmen..Magic-Jordan-Lebron-Ali-Maradona-Pele etc.

Solid D
09-25-2016, 06:16 PM
For some reason older guys, mostly white Americans have an extreme dislike towards showmanship.

:lol Ridiculous

Spurs9
09-25-2016, 07:26 PM
if you have no interest in the upcoming nba season... THEN TRY NOT POSTING IN AN NBA FORUM.

:rolleyes

Spurs9
09-25-2016, 07:28 PM

:rolleyes

daslicer
09-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Spurs are not the favorites but I'm still interested in seeing how the season plays out. I look forward to seeing how LMA does now that he's used to playing in the Spurs system. Another year to see if Kawhi is truly a legit superstar. I like the addition of Pau and look forward to seeing how he meshes into the Spurs offense. Also it will be interesting to see how the young guys perform this year such as Simmons,Anderson,Murray,Livio,Bertans.

Spurtacular
09-25-2016, 10:01 PM
Spurs are not the favorites but I'm still interested in seeing how the season plays out. I look forward to seeing how LMA does now that he's used to playing in the Spurs system. Another year to see if Kawhi is truly a legit superstar. I like the addition of Pau and look forward to seeing how he meshes into the Spurs offense. Also it will be interesting to see how the young guys perform this year such as Simmons,Anderson,Murray,Livio,Bertans.

All good points. Spurs fans have been spoiled for too long and are in suicidal thoughts mode, though.

I'm also interested to see if Ginobili can be the x-factor that makes them a true contender.

Ice009
09-26-2016, 01:15 AM

Yep. Could be a great season. No need to look at it negatively before the season has even begun. Too many losers around here that will bow down to teams like Goldenstate and give up before it's even started.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-26-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm probably a little more curious about this season because there has been so much change. How will the Spurs do without Duncan? How will Gasol play? How will KL do? How will Parker look? Will we see the 2014 Patty Mills and Danny Green re-emerge? How will GSW adjust to so much talent on the roster? How will the young up and coming teams like Utah perform? Will Westbrook carry OKC to a decent season. Will we start to see a little age setting in for Lebron? How will Boban play in a Pistons uniform? I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-26-2016, 01:44 PM
SPAM.

:tu

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-26-2016, 01:51 PM

Solid, after all these years I thought I knew ye, but I am still learning, brother. I figured we were the same age but you've got me by 15 years or so. I didn't watch pro basketball with any interest until the '76-'77 Spurs season. Been a fan ever since.

Maybe thirteen years. :)

Solid D
09-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Solid, after all these years I thought I knew ye, but I am still learning, brother. I figured we were the same age but you've got me by 15 years or so. I didn't watch pro basketball with any interest until the '76-'77 Spurs season. Been a fan ever since.

Maybe thirteen years. :)

Haha, maybe I hide my age well. You and I have quite a bit in common with lots of interests, diversify as much as possible...and never stop learning.

HarlemHeat37
09-26-2016, 06:32 PM

Nice post..

HarlemHeat37
09-26-2016, 06:36 PM
I watched less live RS games last season, but still caught most on the replay, at least..it's natural to lose interest as you get older IMO, sports can outgrow you at a certain point..not that they lose entertainment value, but rather that you don't feel emotions over them anymore(at least in my case)..I didn't even think twice about the Spurs getting eliminated, for example..

I bet on games every night, I'll never lose interest from that perspective, it keeps the games interesting, even in November..

With the Spurs, in particular, I find the team way less appealing than I used to, which will probably be exacerbated by Duncan retiring, since he was my favorite player..I loved the group of players on the 2013 to 2015 teams..I'll still ride for the Spurs, of course, as I still have love for Kawhi/Green/Parker/Manu/Mills/Pop and the others, but I can't stomach watching players like Aldridge and David Lee wearing Spurs uniforms..