PDA

View Full Version : Five Reasons why Pau Gasol might become a headache next year.

apalisoc_9
09-30-2016, 12:56 AM
Before, I start..I want to say that I'm basing everything from the two years he played in chicago. Only...Things could be different in San Antonio ofcourse..but there's a few alarming things.

1. Flactuating display of intensity - During his two year tenure in Chicago, Pau was known among bulls fans as someone who likes to play well when he wants to..This is true from the games Multiple games I've watched him play. His lack of intensity at times is just unexplainable Randomness, but many times it's his ego. WHEN PAU IS NOT GETTING POST TOUCHES, his overall game suffers.

2. His Personality does not fit a role player - Pau isnt going to be a star player at this point, or at least he shouldnt right? Last year, Pau Gasol had a 24% usage rate and took almost the same amount of shots as Kawhi to avergae only 16ppg..

but that shouldbt be a problem, the problem is how he was the FIRST player to start an on-court campign against what Fred Hoiberg was trying to run ( more motion offense). Pau Gasol would repeadtly break Motion and Vocally demand post up plays despite t his mediocracy in that regard last year and despite how painfully obvious it was that the team was trying to run different sets. Jimmy Butler followed his lead.

3. His shitty PnR defense - We're all hoping that he doesnt play that many minutes with Aldridge, but his ego won't allow that. That, sadly might force Pop to have Aldridge do most of the running in the perimter in small ball opponets or stretch 4s..While This was obviously a problem with TD too..It's a bigger Problem with Pau as i doubt he'd be as receptive as timmy to being relegated to 27 and less minutes. This might really Gas Aldridge and Force Kawhi and Green to exert more running..

4. He hasnt been shooting the ball as well - Last Year, Pau had the worst 2pt FG% of his entire career. The idea is that, just by having him there he will create more space for Leonard, Aldridge, Parker...but the truth of the matter is that, teams last year allowed Gasol to take those shots. He has noticably lost a good percetage of his hop in his jumpshot. What happens if teams force the shot all the time and treat him like Duncan? Do we live with a declining jumpshot that was at its worst of all time last year? Teams are starting to notice his his lack of efficiency and baited the bulls repeatdly last year to force him to be the offense.

5. "His IQ is overrated" - I dont know about you, but every White European is hailed as a very smart player by your average writer. While its true that hes smarter than your average big..he's nowehre near Duncans ability to read when to seal, nowehre fatass ability to bait defenders..Last year with Chicago, Pau was almost always lost in defense and many times have no fucking idea what the team is running in offense..and he's played there for two years.

Solid D
09-30-2016, 01:14 AM
1. Flactuating display of intensity -

I have one question. Is "Flactuating" defined as fluctuating flatulence?

jeebus
09-30-2016, 01:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ryh89Vx.gif

apalisoc_9
09-30-2016, 01:18 AM
I have one question. Is "Flactuating" defined as fluctuating flatulence?

I type everything on my phone without autocorrect.

HI-FI
09-30-2016, 01:36 AM

Spurtacular
09-30-2016, 02:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/IBVdCTo.gif

Spur|n|Austin
09-30-2016, 02:46 AM
Well take Advil and stfu

AaronY
09-30-2016, 02:59 AM
Lmfao

Raven
09-30-2016, 03:46 AM
Pau's big ego :lol

kuato
09-30-2016, 04:27 AM
Impossible to compare Chicago with San Antonio... sorry, this post is senseless.

cd021
09-30-2016, 05:17 AM
His 2pt FG% Doesn't worry me, he has upped his mid range attempts taking 43% and the 56% of his shots outside of the paint (10-23 feet including 3pt FGs) in his two seasons with Chicago

14-15- 43% of his FGs taken from 10-23 feet. Shot 44.7 % on those shots.
15-16-56% of his FGs taken from 10-23 feet. Shot 41.7 % on those shots.

Over those two seasons he shot 27.8% of his shots at the rim (0-2 feet) and hit only 59% on those shots. His career percentage is 65.9% from that same range.

Basically he shot a lot of jumpers and hit them at an excellent clip but struggled to finish at the rim, which is odd considering that he is excellent for his career at that. That's something that doesn't normally free fall for a big as skilled as him.

I fully expect him to continue to shoot well from mid range and from 0-2 feet this season since he is playing with much better shooters than in Chicago with Leonard, LMA, and Green when they are spotting up.

Xevious
09-30-2016, 05:41 AM
Before, I start..I want to say that I'm basing everything from the two years he played in chicago. Only...Things could be different in San Antonio ofcourse..but there's a few alarming things.

1. Flactuating display of intensity - During his two year tenure in Chicago, Pau was known among bulls fans as someone who likes to play well when he wants to..This is true from the games Multiple games I've watched him play. His lack of intensity at times is just unexplainable Randomness, but many times it's his ego. WHEN PAU IS NOT GETTING POST TOUCHES, his overall game suffers.

2. His Personality does not fit a role player - Pau isnt going to be a star player at this point, or at least he shouldnt right? Last year, Pau Gasol had a 24% usage rate and took almost the same amount of shots as Kawhi to avergae only 16ppg..

but that shouldbt be a problem, the problem is how he was the FIRST player to start an on-court campign against what Fred Hoiberg was trying to run ( more motion offense). Pau Gasol would repeadtly break Motion and Vocally demand post up plays despite t his mediocracy in that regard last year and despite how painfully obvious it was that the team was trying to run different sets. Jimmy Butler followed his lead.

3. His shitty PnR defense - We're all hoping that he doesnt play that many minutes with Aldridge, but his ego won't allow that. That, sadly might force Pop to have Aldridge do most of the running in the perimter in small ball opponets or stretch 4s..While This was obviously a problem with TD too..It's a bigger Problem with Pau as i doubt he'd be as receptive as timmy to being relegated to 27 and less minutes. This might really Gas Aldridge and Force Kawhi and Green to exert more running..

4. He hasnt been shooting the ball as well - Last Year, Pau had the worst 2pt FG% of his entire career. The idea is that, just by having him there he will create more space for Leonard, Aldridge, Parker...but the truth of the matter is that, teams last year allowed Gasol to take those shots. He has noticably lost a good percetage of his hop in his jumpshot. What happens if teams force the shot all the time and treat him like Duncan? Do we live with a declining jumpshot that was at its worst of all time last year? Teams are starting to notice his his lack of efficiency and baited the bulls repeatdly last year to force him to be the offense.

5. "His IQ is overrated" - I dont know about you, but every White European is hailed as a very smart player by your average writer. While its true that hes smarter than your average big..he's nowehre near Duncans ability to read when to seal, nowehre fatass ability to bait defenders..Last year with Chicago, Pau was almost always lost in defense and many times have no fucking idea what the team is running in offense..and he's played there for two years.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/645/744/188.gif

benefactor
09-30-2016, 06:19 AM

buttsR4rebounding
09-30-2016, 06:36 AM
If Duncan were still here the ego stuff would be less of a concern. It will be interesting to see going forward how much of the Spurs' Way was actually the Duncan Way.

MVPCues
09-30-2016, 07:09 AM
If Duncan were still here the ego stuff would be less of a concern. It will be interesting to see going forward how much of the Spurs' Way was actually the Duncan Way.

I don't think the demeanor of the team is suddenly going to change overnight. Not concerned. That being said, this is a very interesting point and worth keeping an eye on over the next few years.

myhc
09-30-2016, 07:25 AM
I think Pau knows what he's getting into or else he and his ego wouldn't have signed here. He knows his minutes will come down and he will likely sit games for rest. If he does actually complain to the media or starts some sort of "mutiny" on the floor by veering away from plays, I'd be really surprised. There was a similar concern with LMA and his ego but he was a model citizen last year. I think this will be the case with Pau as well.

UNT Eagles 2016
09-30-2016, 08:26 AM
1. Parker

Leetonidas
09-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Dude took a lot less money to play for a contender versus being the main guy on some garbage team. not worried tbh

ceperez
09-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Are you saying that the Spurs now have 3 divas in the team?

Parker
Aldridge
Gasol

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 09:55 AM
This kitty is gorgeously pretty.

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 09:55 AM
Are you saying that the Spurs now have 3 divas in the team?

Parker
Aldridge
Gasol
I think that's what he's saying....

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 09:57 AM
I think Pau knows what he's getting into or else he and his ego wouldn't have signed here. He knows his minutes will come down and he will likely sit games for rest. If he does actually complain to the media or starts some sort of "mutiny" on the floor by veering away from plays, I'd be really surprised. There was a similar concern with LMA and his ego but he was a model citizen last year. I think this will be the case with Pau as well.
This is a good point.

BD24
09-30-2016, 10:07 AM
This faggot trying to create drama where there is none.

Brazil
09-30-2016, 10:21 AM
:lol because Apo likes stirring the pot once in a while does not mean he does not provide some good stuff. I, for one, read the post and this is a good post. You may agree or not but this is interesting shit to talk about.

Pau has the difficult task to be the first in a Spurs roster since 99 to fill the empty space Duncan let by retiring. The starting PF position has been set for 16 years now so yeah spending a bit of time trying to figure how Pau will handle is relevant especially considering Pau's level of play the last two years with Bulls.

One point is true, dude can be yes unconsistent when he is frustrated, we have seen that with Bulls but also with Kobe. He has some stretches where he feels team is not using him correctly (in Lakers he was abviously right), the result of that is a pedestrian Pau playing through motion

Perry Mason
09-30-2016, 10:43 AM
:lol because Apo likes stirring the pot once in a while does not mean he does not provide some good stuff. I, for one, read the post and this is a good post. You may agree or not but this is interesting shit to talk about.

Pau has the difficult task to be the first in a Spurs roster since 99 to fill the empty space Duncan let by retiring. The starting PF position has been set for 16 years now so yeah spending a bit of time trying to figure how Pau will handle is relevant especially considering Pau's level of play the last two years with Bulls.

One point is true, dude can be yes unconsistent when he is frustrated, we have seen that with Bulls but also with Kobe. He has some stretches where he feels team is not using him correctly (in Lakers he was abviously right), the result of that is a pedestrian Pau playing through motion

Apo does not stir pots, that would require intelligence. He just shits in them.

Brazil
09-30-2016, 11:11 AM

:lol well that's your opinion, it does not change the fact this particular thread is interesting

RD2191
09-30-2016, 11:29 AM
He's trash. Both him and LMA are vaginas.

Brazil
09-30-2016, 11:37 AM

:lol Pau is no vagina brah, he carried like a boss Kobe to two rings with solid POs runs where he was better than Kobe on all metrics except ppg and apg. He is also Spain boss and Spain after US has been the most successful team during his tenure... not sure how this is being a vagina

Brazil
09-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Pau is among the non US GOAT players tbh

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 11:56 AM
:lol

GSH
09-30-2016, 12:22 PM
I don't agree with everything you said; but I don't disagree with any of it enough to argue. BUT... Even if everything you said is true, he was the best available realistically. He's no Tim Duncan, but nobody is.

GSH
09-30-2016, 12:29 PM

I still remember when Pau first showed up and Shaq (pretty sure it was Shaq) promised to kick his ass in FIBA play in the summer. Pau earned respect from a lot of NBA players with his toughness, and did his own share of ass-kicking. He's on the back side of his career, but he's never been soft.

BillMc
09-30-2016, 12:35 PM
This faggot trying to create drama where there is none.

Bingo.

Chillen
09-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Another take a dump on Gasol thread.

With Duncan's retirement, the Spurs lucked out getting him to sign here. It keeps this team an NBA title contender with the roster. Of course prime Gasol was in 2009, 2010 with Lakers, but he is very talented and an incredible pickup for this team.

spurraider21
09-30-2016, 02:10 PM
2:38 tbh.. MVPau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYJeYtsUcco

TimDunkem
09-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Another take a dump on Gasol thread.

With Duncan's retirement, the Spurs lucked out getting him to sign here. It keeps this team an NBA title contender with the roster. Of course prime Gasol was in 2009, 2010 with Lakers, but he is very talented and an incredible pickup for this team.
No on here is ever happy.

HarlemHeat37
09-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Nice post, apo..one of the best threads I've seen on ST in 2016, tbh..

FuzzyLumpkins
09-30-2016, 02:54 PM
His 2pt FG% Doesn't worry me, he has upped his mid range attempts taking 43% and the 56% of his shots outside of the paint (10-23 feet including 3pt FGs) in his two seasons with Chicago

14-15- 43% of his FGs taken from 10-23 feet. Shot 44.7 % on those shots.
15-16-56% of his FGs taken from 10-23 feet. Shot 41.7 % on those shots.

Over those two seasons he shot 27.8% of his shots at the rim (0-2 feet) and hit only 59% on those shots. His career percentage is 65.9% from that same range.

Basically he shot a lot of jumpers and hit them at an excellent clip but struggled to finish at the rim, which is odd considering that he is excellent for his career at that. That's something that doesn't normally free fall for a big as skilled as him.

I fully expect him to continue to shoot well from mid range and from 0-2 feet this season since he is playing with much better shooters than in Chicago with Leonard, LMA, and Green when they are spotting up.

That likely has to do with the bigs he played with in Chicago not having range 10 feet and out encouraging packing the paint. Playing with LMA should open up his game. If Verde can play like he ended up last year and Claw can continue to progress he should have plenty of room. All of the starters have range to at least 17 feet.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-02-2016, 01:48 AM
Made it all the way to "flactuating". Good read. :tu

cutewizard
10-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Luv Gasol, he will be there for us

Kawhitstorm
10-02-2016, 01:42 PM

Even the cats in SA are obese.:lol

daslicer
10-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Nice post, apo..one of the best threads I've seen on ST in 2016, tbh..

:lol good job at congratulating yourself for creating this thread under your other ALT.

ismael-robert
10-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Stop posting