PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili: Spurs hoping for 55 wins this year

Uriel
09-30-2016, 09:58 PM
“I think it is too much [to expect the Spurs to win 67 games again]. You never know. I think 67 is crazy. I mean, we did it. It happened. We've had great teams the last 15, even 20 years, and it never happened before. So it's hard to expect that number," Manu Ginobili said. "But I am pretty sure we can hope for at least 55. That's what we've been doing in the past few years.”
http://www.espn.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/1002/what-follows-tim-duncan-spurs-keep-eyes-on-the-prize

GSH
09-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Other teams were offering much more than 55 wins, but he decided to take less to play here.

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 10:47 PM
Manu wth? I want at least 60!!!
It's a much younger team Manu. A lot of young bucks are going to win when you sit out games old fella. Let Bertans shoot, let Murray be slicing and dicing. lol

Spurtacular
09-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Before people start going into panic mode, Manu knows 55+ gets the 2 seed, which is what they basically expect.

kaji157
10-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Before people start going into panic mode, Manu knows 55+ gets the 2 seed, which is what they basically expect.

Exactly, 55 wins is a reality, means a 12 games drop from a team with a quite injured Duncan which is a logic expectation, and getīs you very near to the second seed that will get around 55-57 wins.

apalisoc_9
10-01-2016, 01:43 PM
He said at least....

55 is the worst possible scenario for him

SAGirl
10-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Exactly, 55 wins is a reality, means a 12 games drop from a team with a quite injured Duncan which is a logic expectation, and getīs you very near to the second seed that will get around 55-57 wins.
The Spurs were 12-4 in games TD missed. I think they were something like 11-1 in games Manu missed. I really think 60 wins are possible if Kawhi and LMA are healthy and a couple of the rookies take advantage of their opportunities. If I am one of the youngsters, I am like hell no old man, you speak for yourself really.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-01-2016, 02:07 PM
55 is quite optimistic.

SAGirl
10-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Well the Spurs don't chase regular record wins. I am hoping for more than 55 bc I think the team has upside in their youth. I think for them, it's not like oh hell Manu is sitting we are doomed. Screw that. I want them to be thinking: watch this old man, we going for another 60+ win season... lol It's not so much the regular season record but the opportunities for some younger players to develop. I do think 60+ is possible because Anderson and Simmons, now with added firepower in Bertans, Murray, Mills and others can pick up the slack. Nobody thought 67 was possible and the contributions of younger players were what made that possible as well as the insane point differential with deep bench players expanding leads in garbage time. I think they are underrated while some of the oldies are overrated bc their production is much reduced at this point. Garbage time will miss Boban though.

Sean Cagney
10-01-2016, 02:23 PM
55-58 wins this year, book it.

Raven
10-01-2016, 02:36 PM
It's a much younger team Manu. A lot of young bucks are going to win when you sit out games old fella. Let Bertans shoot, let Murray be slicing and dicing. lol

yeah because young means winning in the nba :lmao

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-01-2016, 03:06 PM

And they're not even very good or talented.

SAGirl
10-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Rofl respect your takes Raven but if you think some of thee dudes were not responsible in part for the past historic season I don't know what to tell you.

SAGirl
10-01-2016, 03:14 PM
And they're not even very good or talented.
Lol they are role players capable of filling a role to help a team around kawhi and LMA at this point succeed.

Raven
10-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Rofl respect your takes Raven but if you think some of thee dudes were not responsible in part for the past historic season I don't know what to tell you.

i like our young guys, but going younger is always translated in losses, not wins. That's just the nature of the nba. It should work long term of course, but in the short we cannot expect to win as much.

tonight...you
10-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Aww... girl, don't get spoiled. 60 wins is a very difficult achievement. There are so many teams just wishing for a single 50 win season in the past decade...
60 wins is tough. Even in Today's NBA.

SAGirl
10-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Aww... girl, don't get spoiled. 60 wins is a very difficult achievement. There are so many teams just wishing for a single 50 win season in the past decade...
60 wins is tough. Even in Today's NBA.
lol I am spoiled, I make a lot of noise about the younguns, but it would not be possible without Kawhi and LMA TBH. lol
I suppose if the team doesn't achieve it you can all then rain on my parade. Right now? lol doesn't matter.

tonight...you
10-01-2016, 03:51 PM
lol I am spoiled, I make a lot of noise about the younguns, but it would not be possible without Kawhi and LMA TBH. lol
I suppose if the team doesn't achieve it you can all then rain on my parade. Right now? lol doesn't matter.
You got me all wrong. I'm not here to rain on anything. I want this team to succeed. It's just not that easy to win 60, you know?
Injuries... scheduling... meeting hot teams at the wrong time... Pop resting guys...

Last year's RS was just crazy. Their best of all time for them! Repeat that: The Best Of All Time for that team.

I'm hoping upper 50's right now.

SAGirl
10-01-2016, 03:59 PM
You got me all wrong. I'm not here to rain on anything. I want this team to succeed. It's just not that easy to win 60, you know?
Injuries... scheduling... meeting hot teams at the wrong time... Pop resting guys...

Last year's RS was just crazy. Their best of all time for them! Repeat that: The Best Of All Time for that team.

I'm hoping upper 50's right now.
Isn't that amazing though with Tim with no wheels and Tony errr, whatever reduced state he's at? They say the league was washed up. It's probably Kawhi having a near MVP season to start and the team's depth being special last season.

I can go on an essay, but won't. I really think Kyle is underrated and a few of those games could have gone the other way if he didn't show up. I think he will be better next season just on him shooting with more confidence and being more involved.

I suppose one of the old timers could go south big time. Those are unexpected things. I suppose the shot could abandon somebody, guys have down seasons every year (last season's was Danny I guess). Injuries, indeed many things. But it's natural for me to be optimistic. Maybe I am underrating RS contributions by D'West, bc I didn't have him in that much of high regard. Maybe once I see Dedmon and Lee I change my tune. You might all be right. But I'd rather start optimistic is all. There are indeed some guys that I don't know and they are not the youngsters, they are more Dedmon and Lee...

tonight...you
10-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Isn't that amazing though with Tim with no wheels and Tony errr, whatever reduced state he's at? They say the league was washed up. It's probably Kawhi having a near MVP season to start and the team's depth being special last season.

I can go on an essay, but won't. I really think Kyle is underrated and a few of those games could have gone the other way if he didn't show up. I think he will be better next season just on him shooting with more confidence and being more involved.

I suppose one of the old timers could go south big time. Those are unexpected things. I suppose the shot could abandon somebody, guys have down seasons every year (last season's was Danny I guess). Injuries, indeed many things. But it's natural for me to be optimistic. Maybe I am underrating RS contributions by D'West, bc I didn't have him in that much of high regard. Maybe once I see Dedmon and Lee I change my tune. You might all be right. But I'd rather start optimistic is all. There are indeed some guys that I don't know and they are not the youngsters, they are more Dedmon and Lee...
I know the usuals are going to hate me, but Kyle is being set up as a key cog by Pop. He's going to be his do-it-all guy and I certainly hope he steps up to the plate.
I really liked his SL performance. All my complaints about him were pretty much answered, but, let's be honest, that guy is the King of Summer League and I can only hope at this point.

Here we go, though. It's about time and answers are going to be quick in their coming and assumptions will be made prematurely and we will argue and get nasty over them every single day.

I'm excited!

SAGirl
10-01-2016, 04:32 PM
I know the usuals are going to hate me, but Kyle is being set up as a key cog by Pop. He's going to be his do-it-all guy and I certainly hope he steps up to the plate.
I really liked his SL performance. All my complaints about him were pretty much answered, but, let's be honest, that guy is the King of Summer League and I can only hope at this point.

Here we go, though. It's about time and answers are going to be quick in their coming and assumptions will be made prematurely and we will argue and get nasty over them every single day.

I'm excited!
He definitely wasn't a good 3 pt shooter last season and I can understand ppl hating him, bc that is what last season's bench needed the most from him when they were all healthy and he wasn't very good at it. I guess Pop knew it, but they didn't have anyone better. He brought other things to the table. Anyways, when others were resting we saw he could do many other things with the ball, it just wasn't his time to be having the ball unless guys were injured, resting or garbage time. I think him and J.Simms have developed a lot of chemistry playing together and have a synergy among them similar to Mills and Manu in the sense that the whole is better than the sum of it's parts. Their games are complementary. They have had relative success in their young careers playing off each other and have helped each other stand out. I think they can be special to watch together.

I actually think that is why Pop always mentions J.Simms as a guy they will count on too and places him in the same category as Kyle as someone Pop is hopeful to be able to rely on. Pop also said who fits together is important when considering playing time among the guys competing in training camp for spots. We can't forget CoJo was a very solid player that lost playing time to Mills simply bc he wasn't the best fit. I think that doesn't bode well for Lee wrestling that spot from J.Simms, if J.Simms turns out to be solid and I think Pop would rather prefer J.Simms to be reliable and is hopeful. I believe Pop wants to play the summer league tandem together. They rarely played together last season and when they did we saw some showtime magic. I am excited obviously. I hope J.Simms is solid too. I am not as noisy about him, bc Kyle is the apple of my eye lol but I really like a lot of dudes, including Bertans who really may be impactful as a gunner off the bench right away in limited minutes. I hope J.Simms finds it in him to be solid. It's a contract season and I do think the team will not be as good if he doesn't pull through.

How Pop meshes them with Manu and Mills? I don't know, but Mills is excellent off the ball and Manu is an excellent cutter and 3 pt shooter. It will be interesting to watch them play off each other, and I think they can be really good, maybe better than last season's bench bc for all the veteran power in the bench last season, they didn't really fit together that well, they had redundancies and guys with repetitive skills. It may not matter if Dedmon or Lee is not solid on defense for the bench though.

Kawhi I think is hungry. It's his team, he's taken ownership of his role in the team's success and has talked about learning when to take over etc. The team has upside in their youth, but yea, if any number of things go south, or guys have down seasons, one never knows. They still need their veterans to not fall of the proverbial cliff. I do consider 55 wins a successful season of course. My hope for more is just my expectation that the younger players (that includes Kawhi and LMA, bc the team has the real oldies in another category) will be very good and maybe some of them better than last season.

:flag:

wildbill2u
10-01-2016, 04:45 PM
We've been so spoiled by consecutive 50+ wins for 16 seasons that we tend to think it is easy--and we forget that lots of teams would just like to make 50+ once in a while. But the team will be so new to each other this year, so many rookies and veterans whose skills could go down at any moment, I'll be very happy with anything over 50.

RD2191
10-01-2016, 04:55 PM
72-10 or gtfo

Benoit
10-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Spurs will be the 2 seed and choke in the playoffs again

At least they wont miss Jim Duncan lmao he hasnt been important since 2006

lefty
10-01-2016, 07:17 PM
55 wins is possible, even with a shit starting PG