PDA

View Full Version : I'm having reocurring nightmares about the Golden State Warriors...

apalisoc_9
10-05-2016, 01:15 AM
Beating the Spurs in the conference Finals 4-0 by an average margin of 20 points...Spurs have a terrific regular season and win 60..crazy semi-finals story and win against LA..only to be raped badly by GSW

Today, these guys pummeled the 4th best team in the NBA in the 25 relevant minutes the starters played.. At one point they were up 56 with clippers starters still playing.

I dont think I can sleep tonight.

Emperor
10-05-2016, 01:18 AM
I'm ready for Oct.25th.

ElNono
10-05-2016, 01:19 AM
Maybe if we lose by 50 in the season opener, Pop will tank...

He won't, nevermind.

TheGreatYacht
10-05-2016, 01:21 AM
We would've had a chance but Manu cost us Boban

MaNu4Tres
10-05-2016, 01:23 AM
Better to prepare yourself for it now tbh..

Spurs aren't beating the Warriors this year lol.

Wish the Spurs just started attaining personnel to match up vs. Warriors this past summer instead of going all in for a player that won't be playable against the Warriors.

I understand Gasol was best available guy, but he wasn't the best available fit to match up against the Warriors.

Sure the Spurs couldn't have done anything besides signing maybe Durant to compete with Warriors, but they could have at least taken a step in the right direction instead of just prolonging the inevitable for two years and maybe wasting away Kawhis' prime by signing a 36 yr old immobile center.

Emperor
10-05-2016, 01:23 AM
Well to be fair, Clips still don't have anyone at the perimeter than can really defend. Spurs have two, just wish they had a legit 3rd. And I really wish it can be Murray as his length and athleticism would be able to give Curry fits much like MCW did during last season.

YGWHI
10-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Maybe if we lose by 50 in the season opener, Pop will tank...

He won't, nevermind.

Well, it's not like Doc is tanking...I mean...nevermind.

ElNono
10-05-2016, 01:28 AM

Wish the Spurs just started attaining personnel to match up vs. Warriors this past summer instead of going all in for a player that won't be playable against the Warriors.

I understand Gasol was best available guy, but he wasn't the best available fit to match up against the Warriors.

Sure the Spurs couldn't have done anything besides signing maybe Durant to compete with Warriors, but they could have at least taken a step in the right direction instead of just prolonging the inevitable for two years and maybe wasting away Kawhis' prime by signing a 36 yr old immobile center.

I just hope Pop went away from switching against them. He had all summer to think of something else (I'd love to see hard hedges like the Heat played against us in '13-'14 used against them and how they react).

We have no shot if we're moving the bigs to the perimeter, IMO.

ElNono
10-05-2016, 01:29 AM
Well, it's not like Doc is tanking...I mean...nevermind.

Doc said two weeks ago there wasn't a big gap between the clips and dubs... then again, nobody knows if he was drunk or high.

apalisoc_9
10-05-2016, 01:34 AM
Can we trust any of the Argentinians to break Durant or Curry legs?

If i was a team owner Id pay pato 20 million this year if hes willing to play in oct and break Durant or Curry ankles...

He looks like the type to do such a thing.

MaNu4Tres
10-05-2016, 01:38 AM
I just hope Pop went away from switching against them. He had all summer to think of something else (I'd love to see hard hedges like the Heat played against us in '13-'14 used against them and how they react).

Making moves to beat OKC or the Grizzlies isnt really worth the time or money tbh..( thats what Pau was)

If I were R.C, I wld have signed Harkless for 14 mil per. Moved LA to C, Harkless to PF.

Would have traded Parker ( bc its a business) for space & a 2nd rounder, Patty for a 1st, Kyle for a 1st.

Then sign a vet PG for 1 yr ( Spurs werent going to win this yr anyways-- its a transition/ building yr ).

Spurs would have had LA, Harkless, Kawhi, Green + 2 1sts and cap space going into next summer.

Oh well, lets just wait out Gasol & Parkers contracts.I guess

apalisoc_9
10-05-2016, 01:46 AM
Making moves to beat OKC or the Grizzlies isnt really worth the time or money tbh..( thats what Pau was)

If I was R.C, I wld have signed Harkless for 14 mil per. Moved LA to C, Harkless to PF.

Would have traded Parker ( bc its a business) for space & a 2nd rounder, Patty for a 1st, Kyle for a 1st.

Then sign a vet PG for 1 yr ( Spurs werent going to win this yr anyways-- its a transition/ building yr ).

Spurs would have had LA, Harkless, Kawhi, Green + 2 1sts and cap space going into next summer.

To be fair, by the time Duncan and Durant made their decisions..there wasnt a whole lot available..

Parkers three year and Gasol player option is going to end whe Kawhi is what 28 and Aldridge 33..

What a waste of potential. Aldridge 31, Kawhi 36 and a legit PG with role player bugs that can move around would be so much better for next year.

YGWHI
10-05-2016, 01:50 AM
Doc said two weeks ago there wasn't a big gap between the clips and dubs... then again, nobody knows if he was drunk or high.

Agree, at least Pop doesn't create that kind of doubts.

With him it's about :whine

apalisoc_9
10-05-2016, 01:53 AM
Gasol and Parker are both expiring..Not sure why I was thinking 2018.

Both very tradable contracts next year.

MaNu4Tres
10-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Gasol and Parker are both expiring..Not sure why I was thinking 2018.

Both very tradable contracts next year.

Gasol will likely opt in next year. His numbers will go down across the board, along with his usage. When you consider his age on top of that? He'll likely opt in.

Parker still has two more yrs too.

Summer of 18.

spursistan
10-05-2016, 07:13 AM
They have stacked the deck..Good for them that a beta-bitch ass nigga wouldn't say no ..

Can't remember the last time a team lined up arguably four top 15 players in the league--and inarguably two top 5 -- all in their respective primes..probably not since the 1960s Celtics..when you have 3 guys (Curry/KD/Kyle) who can pop off for >40 points at any time, opponents have got a lot of prayers and wishful thinking to do to live with them (injuries, lack of depth outside the core, chemistry issues among stars etc..)

SPURt
10-05-2016, 08:16 AM
The Warriors won't win more games than they did last year and they will not win the chip this year. I don't know why everyone is panicking so early lol. They have no depth and Kerr already said they aren't pushing to win regular season games like they did last year on the most recent Zach Lowe pod.

tmtcsc
10-05-2016, 08:41 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2e/f9/99/2ef999f3d5962ff4540f90b36e749e6e.jpg

bklynspursfan
10-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Yea, especially Pau. LMA actually did decent when switching on the perimeter, particularly in our win against them last season.

Maybe he'll go zone on them lol

cutewizard
10-05-2016, 11:19 AM
The Warriors won't win more games than they did last year and they will not win the chip this year. I don't know why everyone is panicking so early lol. They have no depth and Kerr already said they aren't pushing to win regular season games like they did last year on the most recent Zach Lowe pod.

:bobo

UNT Eagles 2016
10-05-2016, 11:44 AM
SAS miss the playoffs forcing a long term rebuild... :lol

Chinook
10-05-2016, 12:48 PM
The Spurs and Heat took turns blowing each other out in 2011, 2012 and 2013. You can't tell the strength of teams by the final score of one game.

offset formation
10-05-2016, 12:58 PM

This is where having more mobile yet undersized big men comes into focus.

Lee and Dedmon will be much better at helping or simply covering Durant. That allows us to play the other two as we did last year, with whatever tweaks Pop wants to use to slow them down more.

lefty
10-05-2016, 01:13 PM
lol feggits

Chucho
10-05-2016, 01:19 PM
God, this place reminded me why I just fuck around here and give no shits about the thinly veiled garbage that passes for basketball convo here. And to the Lemmings...just shoot yourselves and fucking die. It's a fucking sport, not real life, you lames.

cd98
10-05-2016, 01:26 PM
All it takes is for one injury on the "big 4" and they are no longer frontrunners. So while yes, they are scarey good (or looked that way against LA last night), you can't pencil them in as champs.

Solid D
10-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Beating the Spurs in the conference Finals 4-0 by an average margin of 20 points...Spurs have a terrific regular season and win 60..crazy semi-finals story and win against LA..only to be raped badly by GSW

Today, these guys pummeled the 4th best team in the NBA in the 25 relevant minutes the starters played.. At one point they were up 56 with clippers starters still playing.

Well, talking about your problems on Spurstalk is certainly cheaper than seeking professional help through a counselor, psychologist, or hypnotherapist.

I am sure that reading about how it's Manu's fault, Tony is fat, Kyle is who you should be dreaming about, and arguing incessantly about why you shouldn't be having dreams will help you sort through your issues just fine.

r0drig0lac
10-05-2016, 02:05 PM
wow..when the Clippers has become a good team?

SAGirl
10-05-2016, 02:06 PM
I am quite ready for it to go either way and the odds say it's the GSW way. One has to enjoy the season anyway.

It's not going to be on Gasol if they lose, technically the team would have been in a similar or worse position had Tim not retired considering the state of his knees and that he had become a nonfactor offensively.

GSW got stacked and it would have been an uphill climb for last season's team as well, so it's not a bigger deal than it was last season.

benefactor
10-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Killing yourself will help tbh

cd98
10-05-2016, 02:13 PM
What's sad is the casual NBA fan will be on GSW bandwagon. I don't think Durant will get Villain treatment anywhere but OKC.

RD2191
10-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Dubs ain't shit. Spurs in 5 tbh fwiw imo

I. Hustle
10-05-2016, 02:16 PM
I am literally shaking right now. Just the thought of the Dubs beating up the Clips like that. Especially in a game that means so much. Everyone knows that the first preseason game determines how far you will go during the regular season. If history has shown us anything, it's that the team that has anything over a 50 point lead in preseason game opener has gone on to win 15 straight championships.

Spurtacular
10-05-2016, 02:37 PM

Go j/o to the Golden Shower Guys somewhere else.

TD 21
10-05-2016, 04:13 PM

If I were R.C, I wld have signed Harkless for 14 mil per. Moved LA to C, Harkless to PF.

Neither path was going to get them past the Warriors anytime soon.

With your way, sure they'd match-up better, but they'd have less talent and they already don't have enough. There's also no guarantee the Trail Blazers would have let Harkless walk.

At least this way, they should maintain being a 55+ win team, with something like a 49.5% chance (49.5% for the Clippers and 1% for other) to reach the WCF, which is good for business and should keep the core players content.

SAGirl
10-05-2016, 04:23 PM

With your way, sure they'd match-up better, but they'd have less talent and they already don't have enough. There's also no guarantee the Trail Blazers would have let Harkless walk.

At least this way, they should maintain being a 55+ win team, with something like a 49.5% chance (49.5% for the Clippers and 1% for other) to reach the WCF, which is good for business and should keep the core players content.
That's what I am thinking as well. It's possible no move that was feasible would have put them past this warriors team if the guys they already have in the roster are not the ones carrying the heavy burden however unlikely anyways. Gasol makes them a better team right now period.

BD24
10-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Killing yourself will help tbh

HarlemHeat37
10-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Just hope for injuries, tbh..rather than following the scoreboard, follow ankles and knees instead..

MaNu4Tres
10-05-2016, 06:03 PM

They'd have less talent? Maybe only offensively at center, but did the Spurs really need an offensive oriented center who's value is tied to usage? No they did not. Plus, the position is getting more and more useless -- especially if the center is an immobile one that can't defend the PnR, which Gasol is. Smart teams like the Blazers are noticing this and stockpiling two way wings of quality that can still do some dirty work on the boards. That's what Harkless is, except Harkless can play the PF and guard 1-4 positions like Draymond ( no he's not on Draymonds level). Leonard and Green have needed and still need help on the perimeter, no one else on the entire roster is good enough on the perimeter to compete and defend against the best teams.

You're right, there was no answer for Golden State short term that the Spurs could have done in one off-season besides signing Durant. Once they lost out on him, the best they could have done ( imo) , long term, is start building a team that CAN beat them during Leonards prime. Instead they just prolonged that whole process by 2 years with the Gasol signing, and their inability to trade Parker. Now we may not see THE START of any progress towards a championship til 2018.

It is what it is. At the end of the day, I'll hope for the best, but I just think the team should have went a different route this past summer. No real progress will be made til 2 more years.

Play Boban
10-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Did you miss Golden State losing to Toronto in their first game?

Preseason is meaningless.

TD 21
10-05-2016, 06:42 PM
They'd have less talent? Maybe only offensively at center, but did the Spurs really need an offensive oriented center who's value is tied to usage? No they did not. Plus, the position is getting more and more useless -- especially if the center is an immobile one that can't defend the PnR, which Gasol is. Smart teams like the Blazers are noticing this and stockpiling two way wings of quality that can still do some dirty work on the boards. That's what Harkless is, except Harkless can play the PF and guard 1-4 positions like Draymond ( no he's not on Draymonds level). Leonard and Green have needed and still need help on the perimeter, no one else on the entire roster is good enough on the perimeter to compete and defend against the best teams.

You're right, there was no answer for Golden State short term that the Spurs could have done in one off-season besides signing Durant. Once they lost out on him, the best they could have done ( imo) , long term, is start building a team that CAN beat them during Leonards prime. Instead they just prolonged that whole process by 2 years with the Gasol signing, and their inability to trade Parker. Now we may not see THE START of any progress towards a championship til 2018.

It is what it is. At the end of the day, I'll hope for the best, but I just think the team should have went a different route this past summer. No real progress will be made til 2 more years.

I get the whole fit argument, but the number one ingredient to winning a championship was, is and always will be high end talent. Gasol is closer to that than Harkless and the Spurs clearly needed another top three option, even if it coming in the form of a guard was preferable.

I'm not trying to minimize the importance of mobile bigs, but the last three champions had Love (before the Warriors went small, him and Thompson swapped assignments so that Thompson could defend the Curry/Green pick-and-roll), Bogut and Duncan, at center, so people can stop pretending it's the be all, end all.

Matching up better with the Warriors is irrelevant if by doing so you're not talented enough. You need a combination of the two, which is what the Cavaliers had and have and they still needed a million things to break right to pull it off.

MaNu4Tres
10-05-2016, 07:00 PM
I get the whole fit argument, but the number one ingredient to winning a championship was, is and always will be high end talent. Gasol is closer to that than Harkless and the Spurs clearly needed another top three option, even if it coming in the form of a guard was preferable.

I'm not trying to minimize the importance of mobile bigs, but the last three champions had Love (before the Warriors went small, him and Thompson swapped assignments so that Thompson could defend the Curry/Green pick-and-roll), Bogut and Duncan, at center, so people can stop pretending it's the be all, end all.

Matching up better with the Warriors is irrelevant if by doing so you're not talented enough. You need a combination of the two, which is what the Cavaliers had and have and they still needed a million things to break right to pull it off.

There's different forms of talent. I think your only valuing talent from an offensive perspective with the ball. Its all variable dependent on what a team needs. Gasol is more talented in vacuum, but he's talented in areas the Spurs didn't really need (they have their two heavy usage guys already). Harkless' talent would be more beneficial because its in the areas that they did need. IMO Harkless is the more talented defensive player for todays' NBA. And he's a guy who has value on offense that isn't tied to usage, unlike Gasol.

Also, every year since 2008 it seems teams retool and the bar gets set higher and higher. The past champions are irrelevant to a degree because all the variables were different in the different matchups. Spurs were able to get away with not having the most mobile big like Duncan, because the Warriors were babies and the Heat and THunder were easier to defend than the Warriors.

As of now, 2016-2017, you must have a mobile big for him to stay on the floor against the Warriors or to have a shot at beating them. Tristan played a magnificent role for Cavs last year, as he switched and defended Curry better than any big I've seen in the past few years. He had a key possession where he stayed with Curry and Curry forced a tough shot and missed.

dabom
10-05-2016, 07:04 PM

TD with the goods. :tu

dabom
10-05-2016, 07:05 PM
I am literally shaking right now. Just the thought of the Dubs beating up the Clips like that. Especially in a game that means so much. Everyone knows that the first preseason game determines how far you will go during the regular season. If history has shown us anything, it's that the team that has anything over a 50 point lead in preseason game opener has gone on to win 15 straight championships.

:lol

alpha_HaZE
10-05-2016, 07:07 PM

If GS reaches anywhere near 70 wins again, they will run out of gas in the playoffs again.

tmtcsc
10-05-2016, 07:09 PM
I hate Golden State. It took a collection of douchebags to make me dislike something more than Lebron James. That sauntering, mouthpiece chewing jack-ass Curry, that mouth breather Raymond and now that twitchy-shoulder beta Durant. Fuck all of em.

dabom
10-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Dubs ain't shit. Spurs in 5 tbh fwiw imo

TD 21
10-05-2016, 07:16 PM
There's different forms of talent. I think your only valuing talent from an offensive perspective with the ball. Its all variable dependent on what a team needs. Gasol is more talented in vacuum, but he's talented in areas the Spurs didn't really need (they have their two heavy usage guys already). Harkless' talent would be more beneficial because its in the areas that they did need. IMO Harkless is the more talented defensive player for todays' NBA. And he's a guy who has value on offense that isn't tied to usage, unlike Gasol.

Also, every year since 2008 it seems teams retool and the bar gets set higher and higher. The past champions are irrelevant to a degree because all the variables were different in the different matchups. Spurs were able to get away with not having the most mobile big like Duncan, because the Warriors were babies and the Heat and THunder were easier to defend than the Warriors.

As of now, 2016-2017, you must have a mobile big for him to stay on the floor against the Warriors or to have a shot at beating them. Tristan played a magnificent role for Cavs last year, as he switched and defended Curry better than any big I've seen in the past few years. He had a key possession where he stayed with Curry and Curry forced a tough shot and missed.

I'm not only valuing that form, what I'm saying is, you can't win if you're not good enough in that form, but you can win with an immobile center.

Harkless has no offensive value unless/until he proves himself a solid or better three-point shooter. Until then, he's an offensive liability. What's worse, he lacks confidence.

Easier to defend or not, the Heat were a small ball team and the Thunder essentially become one in their most desperate of moments against the Spurs.

Replace Gasol with Harkless and the Spurs would lose their only potential advantages over the Warriors (posting up/rebounding) and what they'd be left with, is even less offensive talent and a lack of rim protection.

Everyone is so damn worried about defending them, but it's damn near impossible. First and foremost, you've got to have elite talent to go back at them.

daslicer
10-05-2016, 08:52 PM
OP is a retard like usual but anyways I got no nightmares of the Warriors. The '01 sweep by the Lakers was the worst demolishing of the spurs I have ever witnessed. It was also very demoralizing for a few reasons. The first reason was because the spurs had the best record and were the favorites to win it all heading into the playoffs. The second reason the Lakers had talked a lot of shit about the '99 championship being an asterisk and now had justification for saying it. Thirdly it was a wasted year for Duncan who I felt back then was a once in generation player which meant every year the spurs didn't win a championship was a wasted year.

Warriors vs Spurs can never get to the '01 level of demoralization for me since they won't have any of the reasons I have listed above to feel demoralized. Don't get me wrong the Warriors are a bunch of douchebags and would be great to see the Spurs end their season but it's not the end of the world if the spurs can't do it. I feel since Duncan has retired the spurs winning or losing is now house money for me. I will just enjoy this season being more relaxed than I have been in over 20 years knowing there is no pressure to win a championship.

SAGirl
10-05-2016, 09:02 PM

DPG21920
10-05-2016, 09:11 PM

Look, while I would have been fine if the Spurs decided to go this route (depending on how well they executed the plan) this is a long season. We have seen Curry get injured before. We have seen Durant get injured before. We have seen stacked teams lose in the finals before.

Spurs are one of 5 teams that if things break their way they can win a title and I agree with not blowing it just because you are not "currently" the clear-cut favorite.

Going to a CF is a huge deal and SA has that ceiling. I still think they have more flexibility next year than you may believe as well but we will see how that shakes out later.

cool cat
10-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Did you miss Golden State losing to Toronto in their first game?

Preseason is meaningless.

That's what I was wondering

I. Hustle
10-06-2016, 08:41 AM

BillMc
10-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Look, while I would have been fine if the Spurs decided to go this route (depending on how well they executed the plan) this is a long season. We have seen Curry get injured before. We have seen Durant get injured before. We have seen stacked teams lose in the finals before.

Spurs are one of 5 teams that if things break their way they can win a title and I agree with not blowing it just because you are not "currently" the clear-cut favorite.

Going to a CF is a huge deal and SA has that ceiling. I still think they have more flexibility next year than you may believe as well but we will see how that shakes out later.

This

Chinook
10-06-2016, 09:13 AM
It would be considerably harder for the Spurs to win if they don't have five above-average front-court players by the time they face GS. I think they'll get solid play out of one of Lee/Dedmon, but right now it really looks like Anderson is essential to the team's hopes. He has the size and will to score over any Warriors perimeter player besides KD. He should be able to guard Draymond, or at least guard Klay so Kawhi can guard Draymond. If there's no Anderson, then BOTH Lee and Dedmon have to be great, and I doubt that.

It's never easy to win a title. That goes for SA and GS. Finding reasons why it would be hard to beat the Warriors is pointless. The team's been on the ropes in four of their last eight playoff series. Teams far worse than the Spurs have done damage to them.

MaNu4Tres
10-06-2016, 11:55 AM

I don't think I or anyone recommended " blowing it" or blowing it up".

I'm one who feels, with or without 36, going on 37 yr old Gasol, Spurs would still be in drivers seat for 2nd seed. If they chose a different route ( Say keeping Diaw, signing Harkless or signing Harkless and trading for Taj Gibson), they still would have been a top 5 team and they wouldn't have handcuffed themselves from the start of any real progress towards beating W's for the next two seasons (since there's a high probability Gasol opts in).

Its funny how some people think Gasol makes a huge difference at his age. The success of the team will boil down to LaMarcus, Kawhi, Green and the role players ( I would include Gasol as a role player or complimentary player to the best three players on the team).

This was a 67 win team without Duncan for half of the season and they retained not only their top 4 starters, but also their top 2 bench players.

bklynspursfan
10-06-2016, 12:05 PM
It would be considerably harder for the Spurs to win if they don't have five above-average front-court players by the time they face GS. I think they'll get solid play out of one of Lee/Dedmon, but right now it really looks like Anderson is essential to the team's hopes. He has the size and will to score over any Warriors perimeter player besides KD. He should be able to guard Draymond, or at least guard Klay so Kawhi can guard Draymond. If there's no Anderson, then BOTH Lee and Dedmon have to be great, and I doubt that.

It's never easy to win a title. That goes for SA and GS. Finding reasons why it would be hard to beat the Warriors is pointless. The team's been on the ropes in four of their last eight playoff series. Teams far worse than the Spurs have done damage to them.

I also look for LMA to try and be one of those bigs who can go out and defend their guys on the perimeter on switches. He improved as the season went along in that regard.. Lee, I think we'll see him become a nice piece to this team. haven't watched enough Dedmon to know what kind of role he'll have tbh, but from what Lee has done in the past, and the shape he's in now, I think he'll be someone who can help this team against a team like GS

Chinook
10-06-2016, 12:16 PM
I also look for LMA to try and be one of those bigs who can go out and defend their guys on the perimeter on switches. He improved as the season went along in that regard.. Lee, I think we'll see him become a nice piece to this team. haven't watched enough Dedmon to know what kind of role he'll have tbh, but from what Lee has done in the past, and the shape he's in now, I think he'll be someone who can help this team against a team like GS

I agree with that. But I'm just saying that guys are going to have to actually fill those roles and do so consistently for this to work. On paper, it's definitely intriguing, but Kawhi is the singular "known" at this point.

Solid D
10-06-2016, 12:26 PM
I am confident that all 6 of the Spurs' players with $10+M/yr salaries + Patti Mills ($3.2M) will be great. Players 8-15 are a big concern for me this season and the only way they can improve and gel with the others is through playing. So, there will probably be some stinky play and some losses because of this - at least until the All-Star break. This season will take some patience - so I'd suggest people of Spurstalk work on their own much-needed development of this virtue.

Spursfanfromafar
10-06-2016, 12:30 PM
I am confident that all 6 of the Spurs' players with $10+M/yr salaries + Patti Mills ($3.2M) will be great. Players 8-15 are a big concern for me this season and the only way they can improve and gel with the others is through playing. So, there will probably be some stinky play and some losses because of this - at least until the All-Star break. This season will take some patience - so I'd suggest people of Spurstalk work on their own much-needed development of this virtue.

I am actually quite gung ho about the prospects of good play by Kyle Anderson and Jonathon Simmons this season. The latter in particular will take a bit of time, but he has a well rounded game going for him. Essentially the Spurs have 9 good players and some promising rookies and a few washed up veterans. It should be a good ride into the playoffs again for them.

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 01:59 PM
I am about ready to jump from the J.Simms bandwagon. I want to give the dude the opportunity that Pop wants to give him, but he's unreliable. He will have a good game where he flashes like a star and follow it up with a stinker of greater magnitude. He has to clean up his game period. I don't care about the dunks or what new jumper off the dribble he has added offensively if he's going to be a scrub every other game. Hopefully I am wrong bc the team needs him and Pop stated that he's one of those guys the team hopes to push along in a development curve, but he's not looking so good. He's not in a situation like Murray, a 20 year old rook with just 1 college season of experience, and he's not in a situation like Dedmon, who is also dispiriting me, but who didn't start to play basketball until he was 18 or 19 years old anyway (and it shows...).

Simmons is 27, a grown man, had dleague a good 2 seasons b4 showing up, has received a lot of coaching from the Spurs and is on his second NBA season (but after 2 dleague seasons, that would be the equivalent of a 4th season in the Spurs, who have sent raw rookies like CoJo to the dleague for the majority of their first couple of seasons, and may do that again with raw rookies like LJC if they need it). In context, let's consider Garino, who while he may not make the team this season, may still go to the dleague and that can count as a season of experience, learning and development towards making an NBA team bc if he made the team he would still get mostly dleague experience anyways.

I think with Simmons, what we see is what we get: the occasional flash in the pan and then the fizzle back to the bench for a couple of games. He may become too frustrating to me. I can't imagine that the mistakes are ok for Pop and I think the training wheels are about to come off. How that goes for him is really on him.
--------------------------
As for patience for the season: it will be needed, not just for this one, but moving on forward.

I. Hustle
10-06-2016, 02:06 PM
I'll put greater magnitude in your stinker

I. Hustle
10-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Correction:

Bend over, I'll put greater magnitude in your stinker.

DPG21920
10-06-2016, 03:21 PM
I don't think I or anyone recommended " blowing it" or blowing it up".

I'm one who feels, with or without 36, going on 37 yr old Gasol, Spurs would still be in drivers seat for 2nd seed. If they chose a different route ( Say keeping Diaw, signing Harkless or signing Harkless and trading for Taj Gibson), they still would have been a top 5 team and they wouldn't have handcuffed themselves from the start of any real progress towards beating W's for the next two seasons (since there's a high probability Gasol opts in).

Its funny how some people think Gasol makes a huge difference at his age. The success of the team will boil down to LaMarcus, Kawhi, Green and the role players ( I would include Gasol as a role player or complimentary player to the best three players on the team).

This was a 67 win team without Duncan for half of the season and they retained not only their top 4 starters, but also their top 2 bench players.

Well we just have to agree to disagree about Gasol's talent/impact compared to Harkless or Taj. How I see it is the Spurs were very close to beating OKC with basically a hobbled Tim and Gasol does everything Tim basically did but better (than Tim last year).

I am very confident that if SA had Gasol over Tim last year, SA beats OKC and is again in a WCF.

MaNu4Tres
10-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Well we just have to agree to disagree about Gasol's talent/impact compared to Harkless or Taj. How I see it is the Spurs were very close to beating OKC with basically a hobbled Tim and Gasol does everything Tim basically did but better (than Tim last year).

I am very confident that if SA had Gasol over Tim last year, SA beats OKC and is again in a WCF.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. I'm very confident if SA had a Harkless/Taj next to Aldridge they beat OKC and are in the WCF. That's how bad Tim, Diaw, and West were and the Spurs barely lost the series in games 2 and 5 that could have went either way.

I don't think Gasol makes this team drastically better like you and others are implying. Spurs would be right there battling for 2nd seed with or without Gasol because of how damn good Kawhi is on both ends. How good LaMarcus is, and how elite the perimeter defense is when Leonard and Green are in the game together. Lets not forget the best back-court off the bench either.

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 03:40 PM

I agree with you. I have made some crazy typical SAGirl tm shenanigan arguments in favor of having gotten my boy Kyle more involved in the bench, but it's really bc the bench didn't get anything going from the other 4 guys.

I agreed with guys like Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) over the summer who wanted to get a more veteran and reliable bench scorer bc I agreed bench scoring was a weakness. That problem wasn't addressed and in fact the bench lost veterans. As it was last season it will be again: Manu can't be that guy anymore and Mills is a streaky shooter. So to hope for development for the younger players is all that is left with the bench and that is where I am.

But I also thought a healthy TD would have made the difference. There were several factors that could have changed that outcome and TD not playing like himself was a big factor swinging down for SA. The GSW were going to be tough regardless, but the team ultimately really underachieved bc TD's health went south and there was nothing that could be done about that. Pau should be much better.

The questions are really in the depth they lost in the bench, and it's a real question, I am not going to pretend like it isn't.

DPG21920
10-06-2016, 06:18 PM
I agree with you. I have made some crazy typical SAGirl tm shenanigan arguments in favor of having gotten my boy Kyle more involved in the bench, but it's really bc the bench didn't get anything going from the other 4 guys.

I agreed with guys like Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) over the summer who wanted to get a more veteran and reliable bench scorer bc I agreed bench scoring was a weakness. That problem wasn't addressed and in fact the bench lost veterans. As it was last season it will be again: Manu can't be that guy anymore and Mills is a streaky shooter. So to hope for development for the younger players is all that is left with the bench and that is where I am.

But I also thought a healthy TD would have made the difference. There were several factors that could have changed that outcome and TD not playing like himself was a big factor swinging down for SA. The GSW were going to be tough regardless, but the team ultimately really underachieved bc TD's health went south and there was nothing that could be done about that. Pau should be much better.

The questions are really in the depth they lost in the bench, and it's a real question, I am not going to pretend like it isn't.

Agreed - and with Gasol playing at a much higher level than Tim was in addition to Gasol role wise being very similar to what Tim does, it should be seamless.

If that is the case and the SL improves over last year with Pau instead of Tim (plus Danny having a better offensive year too) I am also confident that guys like Mills/Anderson play better than they did last year. If that happens that is a big deal.

But with TP declining more, the SL did need help IMO. They needed a big man that could score since TP will continue to start and he is not a reliable scorer any more. With him and Danny being both non-scorers along with Tim last year, it hurt. Pau solves that in a big way.

I would have loved to truly bolster the guard play on the bench too, but Patty playing normal will help that especially if Manu doesn't fall off a cliff. The bench is a big time concern and the road for the bench to click is going to be rocky but the potential is there.

Pau filling in for Tim last year in the same spots with the same skill set will be a significant boost on the offense. Even with the same shot attempts as Tim the impact is greater because of the real threat to score, especially when left in as the feature big at times with the bench. Could not do that with Tim.

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Agreed - and with Gasol playing at a much higher level than Tim was in addition to Gasol role wise being very similar to what Tim does, it should be seamless.

If that is the case and the SL improves over last year with Pau instead of Tim (plus Danny having a better offensive year too) I am also confident that guys like Mills/Anderson play better than they did last year. If that happens that is a big deal.

But with TP declining more, the SL did need help IMO. They needed a big man that could score since TP will continue to start and he is not a reliable scorer any more. With him and Danny being both non-scorers along with Tim last year, it hurt. Pau solves that in a big way.

I would have loved to truly bolster the guard play on the bench too, but Patty playing normal will help that especially if Manu doesn't fall off a cliff. The bench is a big time concern and the road for the bench to click is going to be rocky but the potential is there.

Pau filling in for Tim last year in the same spots with the same skill set will be a significant boost on the offense. Even with the same shot attempts as Tim the impact is greater because of the real threat to score, especially when left in as the feature big at times with the bench. Could not do that with Tim.

Completely agree with everything here.
:bobo

cutewizard
10-07-2016, 07:56 AM

:claw

Chinook
10-07-2016, 08:14 AM

:lma

cutewizard
10-07-2016, 09:13 AM
no team is invincible, there will always be weaknesses....

its how you hide them, and how you exploit them......

Dex
10-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Maybe you should stop being a pansy, OP.

bklynspursfan
10-07-2016, 10:51 AM
The obvious weakness of the Warriors was exposed by DeMarcus Cousins... More at the link below

SAN JOSE – The list of potential holes on this loaded Warrior roster is small. But they’re easily identifiable. Perhaps the largest: a thin, aged center position.

It wasn’t a problem in the first two preseason games. It was glaring in the third, a 105-96 win over the Kings. Forget the final score. A group of Warriors reserves finished the victory with a 14-0 run. In the moments that matter most in the preseason, DeMarcus Cousins had his way with Golden State’s frontline.

It started right off the tip. Cousins worked free for two easy mid-range jumpers on Sacramento’s first two possessions. The Kings scored on their first four. They were up to 10 points in a flash, capped by another Cousins score, this one a drive and reverse right by Zaza Pachulia.

“He’s a load,” Kevin Durant said.

This offseason, Pachulia joined the Warriors on a team-friendly $2.9 million deal, far below his market value. He was immediately slotted in as the starting center, Andrew Bogut’s replacement. He won’t block shots like Bogut, but he’s expected to provide a similar type of high-IQ defensive impact from below the rim.

But Thursday night in San Jose, Cousins exposed him on that end. He scored his seventh and eighth points fewer than four minutes into the game, bulldozing his way through Pachulia for another layup.

Then Cousins took his game to the outside, finding space for two 3s after Pachulia gave him too much cushion. And even after the rare Cousins miss, the Kings scored. He airballed a 3 midway through the first quarter, but Kosta Koufas – deployed as part of a two center lineup that gave the Warriors issues – used his size to shield away Draymond Green for a rebound putback.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/06/warriors-big-man-depth-exposed-in-preseason-win-over-the-kings/

UNT Eagles 2016
10-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Wet nightmares?

JFK
10-07-2016, 12:14 PM
I don't have nightmares about the Warriors, just nightmares and dread the circle jerk on ESPN and all over the place we will hear. Also lol we play them to opening night and I bet we will lose by 50 points or so, ok exaggerating it, but we won't hear the end of it.

SAGirl
10-07-2016, 12:42 PM
The obvious weakness of the Warriors was exposed by DeMarcus Cousins... More at the link below

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/06/warriors-big-man-depth-exposed-in-preseason-win-over-the-kings/
:tu thanks for sharing!!

TDomination
10-07-2016, 12:54 PM
OP is a retard like usual but anyways I got no nightmares of the Warriors. The '01 sweep by the Lakers was the worst demolishing of the spurs I have ever witnessed. It was also very demoralizing for a few reasons. The first reason was because the spurs had the best record and were the favorites to win it all heading into the playoffs. The second reason the Lakers had talked a lot of shit about the '99 championship being an asterisk and now had justification for saying it. Thirdly it was a wasted year for Duncan who I felt back then was a once in generation player which meant every year the spurs didn't win a championship was a wasted year.

Warriors vs Spurs can never get to the '01 level of demoralization for me since they won't have any of the reasons I have listed above to feel demoralized. Don't get me wrong the Warriors are a bunch of douchebags and would be great to see the Spurs end their season but it's not the end of the world if the spurs can't do it. I feel since Duncan has retired the spurs winning or losing is now house money for me. I will just enjoy this season being more relaxed than I have been in over 20 years knowing there is no pressure to win a championship.

Pretty much everything you said i completely agree with. Especially the bolded. I haven't felt this way about the Spurs since before Duncan, the feeling of "we'll see how the season goes, hopefully they compete hard and give themselves a chance to at least go far in the playoffs"
With Duncan it was Championship or bust. No championship = wasted year. But the pressure is off now and even if GS does beat us, it was expected.

But oh man if we bet them, ooo man it would be so amazing seeing Kawhi lead this team. We'll just have to wait and see what happens this year.

spursreport
10-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Point guard led teams don't win championships and Kevin Durant is the Peyton Manning of the NBA and chokes in the playoffs. I can't figure out why people think the Warriors will ring with either one of these faggots as the alpha. That's like a jacked up offense/meh D in the NFL led by Peyton Manning and a prime Calvin Johnson (superstar wr's don't ring either).

james evans
10-07-2016, 11:05 PM
i agree, but wait until Parker's last year comes up and he wants that Kobe severance package. What is that going to cost us? Getting rid of Baban was one of the dumbest moves we have made in years