PDA

View Full Version : Dump the divisions

dmac
10-06-2005, 12:29 PM
I'd like to see MLB dump the divisions. Play every team an even number of times and take the top 4 teams at the end of the season for the playoffs. 1st versus 4th, 2nd versus 3rd, then those 2 winners play for the League championship.

San Diego would be home watching the playoffs where they deserve to be rather than stinking them up!

just my opinion.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiblabber.gif

samikeyp
10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
I would like to see them do home field advantage like every other league, record-wise.

FromWayDowntown
10-06-2005, 01:25 PM
I'd like to see MLB dump the divisions. Play every team an even number of times and take the top 4 teams at the end of the season for the playoffs. 1st versus 4th, 2nd versus 3rd, then those 2 winners play for the League championship.

San Diego would be home watching the playoffs where they deserve to be rather than stinking them up!

just my opinion.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiblabber.gif

I don't think you can dump the divisions, because rivals need each other. Cards fan wants to see his team play the Cubs; Dodger fan wants to see that club play the Giants. And it needs to happen more than twice a season.

I do think, though, that baseball can tweak things to eliminate this possiblity. The old two division format worked pretty well in assuring that the best teams would meet in the playoffs. You can account for odd variations (like 1993, when the Braves and Giants had the 2 best NL records, but were in the same division) with wild cards, and just have 2 wild card teams if you want to promote interesting races to the end.

The divisions wouldn't be any bigger than the leagues were before divisional play came about in 1969. You'd assure that the playoff teams were all over .500 and were likely the 4 best teams in each league. You'd still have races through to the end, and I'd think you'd have the same number of fans interested in outcomes to the end of the last week. Plus, you might have more national interest in the first round of the playoffs

Something like this:
AL EAST (the old AL East with Tampa Bay substituted for Milwaukee)
Baltimore
Boston
Cleveland
Detroit
New York
Tampa Bay
Toronto

AL WEST (the old AL West)
Chicago
Kansas City
Los Angeles of Anaheim of Orange County of California
Minnesota
Oakland
Seattle
Texas

NL EAST
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Florida
Milwaukee
New York
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Washington

NL WEST
Arizona
Colorado
Chicago
Houston
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco
St. Louis

Seed the playoff teams according to record; best of 5 LDS; best of 7 LCS; World Series.

dmac
10-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Los Angeles of Anaheim of Orange County of California

lol!!

dmac
10-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I would like to see them do home field advantage like every other league, record-wise.
You mean instead of the All Star Game determining home field advantage? I agree, That's total crap. Let the Season mean something like in the other major sports.

samikeyp
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
You mean instead of the All Star Game determining home field advantage?

Yes...you are correct...it is total bullshit. Let the regular season mean something.

T Park
10-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Agreed.

The Cardinals should have home field, they played for it and earned it.

STupid fuckin Bud Selig.

FromWayDowntown
10-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Agreed.

The Cardinals should have home field, they played for it and earned it.

STupid fuckin Bud Selig.

Let them get there first, then worry about whether they'll have home field advantage.

It is worth noting, however, that the Cardinals couldn't win a home game in the World Series last year . . . . being at home doesn't assure you wins.