PDA

View Full Version : BBall Breakdown: Why Kawhi Leonard Is One Of The Most Efficient Players In The League

spurraider21
10-05-2016, 02:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_hYdas7KU

:worthy:

although for the haters, :lol at 2:43... "There was less of the beautiful game, and more of a 90's isolation look to their offense"

:lol 90's
:lol lefty

Brazil
10-05-2016, 03:12 PM
:cry all those passes from Tony tbh... beautiful :cry

BillMc
10-05-2016, 03:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_hYdas7KU

:worthy:

although for the haters, :lol at 2:43... "There was less of the beautiful game, and more of a 90's isolation look to their offense"

:lol 90's
:lol lefty (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6896)

Nice vid man. Thanks for posting it.

Spurtacular
10-05-2016, 04:36 PM
:cry all those passes from Tony tbh... beautiful :cry

:lmao

Yea, that's what happens when Porker actually passes the ball to an f'ing superior player.

HarlemHeat37
10-05-2016, 04:38 PM
The transformation into a 90s-ball offense was the worst part of last season, tbh..I don't know how anybody under 30 can watch a 90s game without vomiting..

Brazil
10-05-2016, 04:41 PM

Yea, that's what happens when Porker actually passes the ball to an f'ing superior player.

like he did all his career ?

you are a tool brah...

any news about Jimmer ? you seem to know a bunch about PG.... not

DMC
10-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Going to miss those long outlet passes from Tim.

TheRemix
10-05-2016, 06:57 PM
I miss the beautiful game, but i'm all for whichever play style gets us wins.

alpha_HaZE
10-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks for sharing, wouldn't be surprised if Kawhi ends up being the MVP.

KD, Steph will each take a dip in their STATS. Russ will have crazy numbers, but his team wont win as enough games to justify the MVP. I think it's Kawhi's year.

SAGirl
10-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Yea and the style has to adapt to the talent of the team. Seeing the team run exclusively PnR through all of their perimeter players in the preseason game, gave me the impression Pop plans to introduce more PnR through Kawhi and other perimeter players that prove competent at it. It doesn't mean that the post up is gone. Kawhi is excellent at it and it is a strength of Aldridge's, but I think they plan to use Kawhi in different ways and diversify.

I suspect the bench is a developing entity at this point as much as it's players, with Manu still at the epicenter but with other characters coming into play as they evolve. Should be interesting to watch regardless, IMO. For the old fans, even the evolution of the late stage games of Tony and Manu should be interesting.

SAGirl
10-05-2016, 07:24 PM

KD, Steph will each take a dip in their STATS. Russ will have crazy numbers, but his team wont win as enough games to justify the MVP. I think it's Kawhi's year.
I think so too. The team has to be great for it to happen but I think Kawhi has that in him.
:claw

Chinook
10-05-2016, 10:55 PM
The transformation into a 90s-ball offense was the worst part of last season, tbh..I don't know how anybody under 30 can watch a 90s game without vomiting..

It was. But when you're best players are iso guys, you're going to get that.

Solid D
10-06-2016, 12:15 AM
Yep, that's what we saw last year. Excellent break-down of Kawhi's metamorphosis plus his impact and effectiveness last season. It will be interesting to see how things go with additional development of his game, considering the departure of Chad Forcier. Barring injury, this should be his best season.

Solid D
10-06-2016, 12:21 AM

Offensively, Pop pulled out his best Don Nelson imitation last season. Iso, and work the mismatches ad infinitum. This was 90s Golden State and 00s Dallas Mavericks basketball. Defensively, this was Spurs' basketball.

Spurtacular
10-06-2016, 12:24 AM
like he did all his career ?

you are a tool brah...

any news about Jimmer ? you seem to know a bunch about PG.... not

Sorry if you hate a selfish player being called out.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-06-2016, 01:07 AM
The beautiful game was possible because of the coaching staff's familiarity with it's prime scorers and role players.

Two new scorers and one of them still finding his way made that level of choreography impossible. Kawhi learned to find his shot and PATFO learned his and LMA's preferred spots on the floor last season.

I expect the ball movement to improve over time.

Blackjack
10-06-2016, 01:44 AM

There's still that dude in Cleveland. Forget his name, but he's got a shot.

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 02:33 AM
He's going to lay back through the regular season I think. But we shall see with him. He has said that b4.

tbdog
10-06-2016, 05:31 AM
If they are playing Leonard in the PnR, then I want Mills starting and Parker being the attacking six man off the bench. It just makes sense by having one of our strongest shooters out there if the ball is going to be in Leonard, Gasol, and LMA hands.

spurraider21
10-06-2016, 05:40 AM
If they are playing Leonard in the PnR, then I want Mills starting and Parker being the attacking six man off the bench. It just makes sense by having one of our strongest shooters out there if the ball is going to be in Leonard, Gasol, and LMA hands.
it makes sense, but unlikely to happen imo

buttsR4rebounding
10-06-2016, 06:45 AM

Tony Parker 2pt % 50.1% 3pt% 41.5%
Patty Mills 2pt% 46.9% 3pt% 38.4%

Spur|n|Austin
10-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Kawhi is posed for a big year. I'm still in the school of thought that we don't know his ceiling yet; this season will tell a lot.

Also, that David West and Boris Diaw post up ranking :wow :lol

All Mighty Janitor
10-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Tony Parker 2pt % 50.1% 3pt% 41.5%
Patty Mills 2pt% 46.9% 3pt% 38.4%
I'm not convinced that Tony's 3 pt% is real. The stats don't tell the whole story. He was very selective with his threes. He'd have to greatly increase his volume for me to be convinced, but I still hold out hope for Tony though.

lefty
10-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Hey fuck you OP :lol

lefty
10-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Also there is more ball movement today because t:lolday's NBA players are bad, can't do shit by themselves

bklynspursfan
10-06-2016, 11:08 AM
I'm not convinced that Tony's 3 pt% is real. The stats don't tell the whole story. He was very selective with his threes. He'd have to greatly increase his volume for me to be convinced, but I still hold out hope for Tony though.

Patty has a much quicker release and not afraid to pull up off the dribble.

TP is more of a if he's set and catches the ball, (ideally in the corners) he's pretty efficient...

It's something he's worked on as he's gotten older, and if Kawhi is going to handle the ball more, I could see him attempting 1 or 2 more a game and becoming more of a spot up shooter.

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2016, 11:23 AM
The problem with TP's 3-point shooting is that his high-volume attempts come entirely from the corners, he rarely shoots 3s elsewhere..he has the highest % of corner 3s for a PG in NBA history and it's not even close..it's a very unconventional style for a PG, which makes it difficult to optimally utilize him off the ball..

Ideally, Parker will be shooting a higher volume of 3s from different spots on the floor, assuming he has been working on expanding his range radius..

bklynspursfan
10-06-2016, 11:54 AM
The problem with TP's 3-point shooting is that his high-volume attempts come entirely from the corners, he rarely shoots 3s elsewhere..he has the highest % of corner 3s for a PG in NBA history and it's not even close..it's a very unconventional style for a PG, which makes it difficult to optimally utilize him off the ball..

Ideally, Parker will be shooting a higher volume of 3s from different spots on the floor, assuming he has been working on expanding his range radius..

Agreed, he will need to take some expand his 3 point shooting areas. I think at this point he probably knows that.

straight on doesn't seem to be his thing, but the elbow/angle (?) shots, although a small sample size he seems to hit pretty efficiently. Those are some he'll need to take more to keep the spacing with that starting unit respectable.

http://i66.tinypic.com/4vjpcp.png

http://i64.tinypic.com/32ztnpz.png

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I don't think they will do that all game, to preserve energy and legs for the 4th Q. But maybe they have Mills there to close out the game. We saw him on occasion to close a game here or there.

alpha_HaZE
10-06-2016, 06:21 PM

I am not convinced with the slim down version of Lebron just yet. But I never said that Kawhi is the favorite to win the MVP trophy. I said "I wouldn't be surprised if Kawhi ends up being the MVP".

Blackjack
10-06-2016, 07:31 PM
I am not convinced with the slim down version of Lebron just yet. But I never said that Kawhi is the favorite to win the MVP trophy. I said "I wouldn't be surprised if Kawhi ends up being the MVP".

That dude's gotta be in the conversation. If you mention Curry, KD and Russ, you can't leave him out. That's all.

alpha_HaZE
10-06-2016, 09:03 PM
That dude's gotta be in the conversation. If you mention Curry, KD and Russ, you can't leave him out. That's all.

I argued that Curry, KD and Russ won't be good enough. I don't see how Lebron fits in that category, which is why I left him out.

Blackjack
10-07-2016, 06:09 AM
I argued that Curry, KD and Russ won't be good enough. I don't see how Lebron fits in that category, which is why I left him out.

I don't believe you.

benefactor
10-07-2016, 06:33 AM
I don't see how Lebron fits in that category, which is why I left him out.
:lol

NameLess Scrub
10-07-2016, 08:29 AM

Tbh..

NameLess Scrub
10-07-2016, 08:32 AM

Let's remember how the NBA works.

If (Lebron just formed another super team) OR (Somebody had a super season/story)
Give MVP to someone else
Else
Give MVP to Lebron

thiste
10-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Why didn't he talk about his defense? That's the main aspect that separates him from other top players

YGWHI
10-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Why didn't he talk about his defense? That's the main aspect that separates him from other top players

Kawhi has become a huge offensive threat and the video wants people to see it.

After winning two DPOYs, most NBA fans know about his defense, but his offensive game always has been underrated until very recent times.