PDA

View Full Version : Manu la Nacion Latest Article

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 09:15 PM
ElNono
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1944081-junto-con-tony-seremos-un-poco-el-nexo-entre-lo-que-fue-y-lo-que-sera

HI-FI
10-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Sorry ElNono if you're busy....but it's time...
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jxAQ0B4tWL4/hqdefault.jpg

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 09:30 PM
:lol

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Nono will get upset bc among the guys Manu misses, it's not just Tim, but Boris, and Matt Bonner!

These columns by Manu are always very introspective and in this one he reflects about how Tony and himself are a link or a nexus between the Spurs of the past and the ones of the future.

He does emphatically mention wanting to continue playing (no joke that he's not considering retiring right now) and that his role is not particularly different from what he's been doing the past few seasons.

Of special interest for me, he enjoys helping and coaching the young players Anderson and Simmons and he's honored and proud to mentor them. In fact, he mentions they have a lot of talent, but he's here to play. He wants to help the team win and he wants to be on the floor and it is difficult to still feel important to the team at 39. He does understand that they are growing and getting better year after year and they need space to grow as players.

Possible drama? I doubt it, but it is an interesting topic that he's very honest about and there is a little bit of conflict there between allowing others to grow, and still feel relevant.

ElNono
10-06-2016, 09:51 PM
watching poorball while eating churros, tbh... I'll get it done in an hour if nobody beats me to it...

spurs10
10-06-2016, 10:34 PM
watching poorball while eating churros, tbh... I'll get it done in an hour if nobody beats me to it... Muchisimas gracias! :hungry:

ElNono
10-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Together with Tony we'll be some of the nexus between the past and the future

We started pretty well, normal from what you expect from a preseason. Without playing well but trying to gain rhythm, and making sure the new teammates absorb the system. We're during that period where we're working on fitness and all those things. One of the news is that there's two Argentina players with me, whom I know because we played together for a month and a half in the Olympic Games. I appreciate them and I want them to do well. That fact makes this process a little different from other seasons. These type of things don't happen often and having two teammates from your country with you is special. It's been a while since I shared a locker room with another Argentina player in the NBA: Fabricio Oberto arrived in 2005, so it's been a while. I'm very happy to have them here, show them a bit of everything, and to introduce them to the world of San Antonio and the NBA.

What I'm doing specifically with Nico (Laprovittola) and Pato (Garino), is help them to adapt to something different than what they're used to. Feel more at home. On the court, they know how to play, I don't have to do a lot there. Perhaps some suggestion or comment. But I'm focused on the social aspect and the day to day. I remember when I arrived here, I already had what would become my wife with me. They just have themselves. That helps, because they're not alone and lost. They're not kids that need their hands held. Pato lived four or five years in the US and Nico played in Lithuania, Brazil and Spain. They're not lacking experience.

They also went through a lot of things in a short time. They already had a chance to wear the Spurs uniform. It was a preseason game against Phoenix, and both teams were a bit nervous. We were missing a lot of experienced players and Nico had to start. They're normally very disorganized games, with a lot of turnovers. It's hard to evaluate much; what's positive it to get rid of the nervousness and move past wearing the team uniform for the first time. At any rate, they did good, defended well. Nico was able to hit a few 3 pointers in the first half, which is where he got the bulk of his minutes. It's important to remember they have different roles, because Nico has the ball in his hands more and it's more of an offensive player, and Pato has more of a defensive role, where he has to take what the team gives him. They did good, the team didn't play well, but that's normal at this stage.

Personally it's special for me too because it's weird to start the preseason without Tim (Duncan). Although I fell we're going to miss him even more once the season starts. Everything is new now and we're busy trying to play well. That said, walking into the locker room, looking at his spot and seeing somebody else is, at least, curious. It's fifteen years together; his presence generated a lot of things. But, again, I think we're going to miss him more once the season starts. And also, just like it's rare that Tim is not here, it's also rare to me that Boris (Diaw) and Matt (Bonner) are also not here, also fundamental players. Those are important loses too. Boris in and out of the court. Matt out, because he was already playing very few minutes. They were two guys that I had a good relationship with, made me feel good in the day to day, and made everything more enjoyable. I could talk with them about things that had nothing to do with basketball. They're two guys that I'll personally miss a lot. We shared 10 years together in the team with Matt and with Boris, it was a shorter period, but more intense. We used to spend a lot of time together, dinners, going out with Patty (Mills) and Tiago (Splitter). Both of those guys had a marked influence on the team, and the team is going to miss them both too.

So we not only have to accommodate to these situations, but also to the fact that a player like Pau Gasol joined the team and we'll have to see how he adapts. This is just getting started, but I have no doubts it's going to work out well. He's a player that understands the game, has a lot of experience, been on a few teams, and developed in a variety of systems. But he knows how to play, so the transition should be pretty simple for Gasol. Past that, you never know how things are going to work out. He's coming to a team that a somewhat established way to play, and he'll have to connect with two guys like Kawhi (Leonard) and LaMarcus (Aldrige). We'll see how it works out. I don't have a lot of doubts, it might take a month or four, but I'm sure he'll adapt well.

It's clear this is a different stage. There's going to be a lot of eyes on me and Tony because we're the oldest guys in the group. I notice that I get asked often if I have more responsibilities than before. The truth is that my role doesn't change much. I'm going to try to do what I've been doing the last few years. I'm going to be a connection between what we were and where we're going. Try to help the new guys and with my knowledge of the system try to get them closer to that idea. That's why my importance as far as my role as a player doesn't change. I know it's not the same as it was eight, six or four years ago. There's a few young guys that play very well, that need space, and get better every year, like Kyle Anderson and Jonathon Simmons, so together with Tony we'll be some of the nexus between the past and the future. Honestly I love to play, I don't just come here to be an adviser. That said, I take a lot of pride in my role of guiding the young talent. Because it's not easy to continue playing in this league at 39 years old and still be considered important. I've been even asked if this is my last season, and the truth is that I don't even think about that. I know some people talk about my career and those things, but I try not to put my mind there. It's nice to get recognition for your career, but even though it's nice, I don't want to be recognized for what I did in the past, but I want to just keep playing. If later down the road I deserve recognition, it will happen or not. I just feel like a player that want to help the team to win and play well. I don't stop to think about my career at this time.

We're tuning the team and we know we're one of the candidates, even with all the player movement this offseason. At this time we're not talking about other teams or our chances. We do understand we're candidates and we're one of the better teams in the NBA. Although we also know we're not the clear cut favorites, but we're somewhere in that group. I think it's not that different from last season. Before we added LaMarcus and now we get Gasol, but Golden State keeps improving and Cleveland is the champ. We want to be in that group and I that's why I don't think it's much different from last season.

SAGirl
10-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks as always Nono, didn't have the heart to do this myself for others. Besides, I don't think outside yourself, maybe Chinook and Bill bc he's classy, they appreciate me enough. lol
:bobo

SpurPadre
10-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Great read, as usual from the Great One.

TheDoctor
10-06-2016, 11:21 PM
Thanks Nono :toast

Spur|n|Austin
10-06-2016, 11:24 PM
Cheers, thanks EN.

Spurs9
10-06-2016, 11:26 PM
Thx for the google translate

spurs10
10-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Thanks El Nono!

hater
10-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Just go away bum. U taking a spot on d bench. Id give my left pinky to see Jeremy Lin instead of you

gambit1990
10-07-2016, 12:58 AM
i'll read this tomorrow. i wish parker was part of the past instead of the nexus though :rolleyes

TheGreatYacht
10-07-2016, 02:07 AM
Great read, as usual from the Great One.
Thanks

Kikoluna
10-07-2016, 03:51 AM
Just go away bum. U taking a spot on d bench. Id give my left pinky to see Jeremy Lin instead of you
Wow, how can u talk like that about an iconic spurs figure? The guy is a living legend, show some respect. However, I'd give my right arm to trade Kyle for a bag of m&m's.

BillMc
10-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Thanks Nono!

Manu as always pure class.

Chinook
10-07-2016, 07:43 AM
It's always nice to take like a half-hour to plunk through Manu's original article and them come here and get the English version I could've read in like three minutes. Besides that, I don't think Manu gave new info. He wants to mentor Simmons and Anderson, still wants to play and thinks the Spurs have a chance to win it all. I imagine for the folks back home, it's a very nice summary.

cutewizard
10-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Thank you Sir El Nono!

Luv me some Manu!!!!!!

Go Spppppppppppppppppppuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrss go!!

Ive got a good feelling this year, im telling yah, better than last year

cutewizard
10-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Aside from the great one, what/who did we lose?

Bonner....??? lol

Dwest....?? cmon

Diaw, well....fat man

Forget Boban.....

so we lost only the great one, and thats it

cutewizard
10-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Over the past two years, weve got Lamarcus and then Gasol...

that's got to be something.......

:claw

Plus Leonard is about to reach his peak

mingus
10-07-2016, 06:40 PM

We started pretty well, normal from what you expect from a preseason. Without playing well but trying to gain rhythm, and making sure the new teammates absorb the system. We're during that period where we're working on fitness and all those things. One of the news is that there's two Argentina players with me, whom I know because we played together for a month and a half in the Olympic Games. I appreciate them and I want them to do well. That fact makes this process a little different from other seasons. These type of things don't happen often and having two teammates from your country with you is special. It's been a while since I shared a locker room with another Argentina player in the NBA: Fabricio Oberto arrived in 2005, so it's been a while. I'm very happy to have them here, show them a bit of everything, and to introduce them to the world of San Antonio and the NBA.

What I'm doing specifically with Nico (Laprovittola) and Pato (Garino), is help them to adapt to something different than what they're used to. Feel more at home. On the court, they know how to play, I don't have to do a lot there. Perhaps some suggestion or comment. But I'm focused on the social aspect and the day to day. I remember when I arrived here, I already had what would become my wife with me. They just have themselves. That helps, because they're not alone and lost. They're not kids that need their hands held. Pato lived four or five years in the US and Nico played in Lithuania, Brazil and Spain. They're not lacking experience.

They also went through a lot of things in a short time. They already had a chance to wear the Spurs uniform. It was a preseason game against Phoenix, and both teams were a bit nervous. We were missing a lot of experienced players and Nico had to start. They're normally very disorganized games, with a lot of turnovers. It's hard to evaluate much; what's positive it to get rid of the nervousness and move past wearing the team uniform for the first time. At any rate, they did good, defended well. Nico was able to hit a few 3 pointers in the first half, which is where he got the bulk of his minutes. It's important to remember they have different roles, because Nico has the ball in his hands more and it's more of an offensive player, and Pato has more of a defensive role, where he has to take what the team gives him. They did good, the team didn't play well, but that's normal at this stage.

Personally it's special for me too because it's weird to start the preseason without Tim (Duncan). Although I fell we're going to miss him even more once the season starts. Everything is new now and we're busy trying to play well. That said, walking into the locker room, looking at his spot and seeing somebody else is, at least, curious. It's fifteen years together; his presence generated a lot of things. But, again, I think we're going to miss him more once the season starts. And also, just like it's rare that Tim is not here, it's also rare to me that Boris (Diaw) and Matt (Bonner) are also not here, also fundamental players. Those are important loses too. Boris in and out of the court. Matt out, because he was already playing very few minutes. They were two guys that I had a good relationship with, made me feel good in the day to day, and made everything more enjoyable. I could talk with them about things that had nothing to do with basketball. They're two guys that I'll personally miss a lot. We shared 10 years together in the team with Matt and with Boris, it was a shorter period, but more intense. We used to spend a lot of time together, dinners, going out with Patty (Mills) and Tiago (Splitter). Both of those guys had a marked influence on the team, and the team is going to miss them both too.

So we not only have to accommodate to these situations, but also to the fact that a player like Pau Gasol joined the team and we'll have to see how he adapts. This is just getting started, but I have no doubts it's going to work out well. He's a player that understands the game, has a lot of experience, been on a few teams, and developed in a variety of systems. But he knows how to play, so the transition should be pretty simple for Gasol. Past that, you never know how things are going to work out. He's coming to a team that a somewhat established way to play, and he'll have to connect with two guys like Kawhi (Leonard) and LaMarcus (Aldrige). We'll see how it works out. I don't have a lot of doubts, it might take a month or four, but I'm sure he'll adapt well.

It's clear this is a different stage. There's going to be a lot of eyes on me and Tony because we're the oldest guys in the group. I notice that I get asked often if I have more responsibilities than before. The truth is that my role doesn't change much. I'm going to try to do what I've been doing the last few years. I'm going to be a connection between what we were and where we're going. Try to help the new guys and with my knowledge of the system try to get them closer to that idea. That's why my importance as far as my role as a player doesn't change. I know it's not the same as it was eight, six or four years ago. There's a few young guys that play very well, that need space, and get better every year, like Kyle Anderson and Jonathon Simmons, so together with Tony we'll be some of the nexus between the past and the future. Honestly I love to play, I don't just come here to be an adviser. That said, I take a lot of pride in my role of guiding the young talent. Because it's not easy to continue playing in this league at 39 years old and still be considered important. I've been even asked if this is my last season, and the truth is that I don't even think about that. I know some people talk about my career and those things, but I try not to put my mind there. It's nice to get recognition for your career, but even though it's nice, I don't want to be recognized for what I did in the past, but I want to just keep playing. If later down the road I deserve recognition, it will happen or not. I just feel like a player that want to help the team to win and play well. I don't stop to think about my career at this time.

We're tuning the team and we know we're one of the candidates, even with all the player movement this offseason. At this time we're not talking about other teams or our chances. We do understand we're candidates and we're one of the better teams in the NBA. Although we also know we're not the clear cut favorites, but we're somewhere in that group. I think it's not that different from last season. Before we added LaMarcus and now we get Gasol, but Golden State keeps improving and Cleveland is the champ. We want to be in that group and I that's why I don't think it's much different from last season.

You read that & it's no-wonder the guy is a 4-time NBA champ. He takes on any role he needs to to help the team. He did that in his prime whether it be with playmaking or scoring or rebounding, defense, taking charges etc. And nobody has ever had a problem gelling with him, the guys love being around him. The ultimate team player & teammate.

UZER
10-07-2016, 07:02 PM

Can someone do a better job translating this article? I can't understand Nono's english.

ElNono
10-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Can someone do a better job translating this article? I can't understand Nono's english.

:lol sorry for the typos, tbh

spurs10
10-07-2016, 10:29 PM
Can someone do a better job translating this article? I can't understand Nono's english. Saw a Lakers fan's translation. ' Tim, well yeah I miss his jokes, but he was pretty overrated to be honest. I hear a lot of people talking about my legacy and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with myself...to be honest." I think he has been misquoted.

kaji157
10-09-2016, 07:35 PM
ElNono
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1944081-junto-con-tony-seremos-un-poco-el-nexo-entre-lo-que-fue-y-lo-que-sera

Tnx for the link!

Brazil
10-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Thanks as always Nono, didn't have the heart to do this myself for others. Besides, I don't think outside yourself, maybe Chinook and Bill bc he's classy, they appreciate me enough. lol
:bobo

no need to go emo road tbh... :lol I'm pretty sure your translation would have been much appreciated too

SAGirl
10-10-2016, 04:40 PM
no need to go emo road tbh... :lol I'm pretty sure your translation would have been much appreciated too
:toast
I am lazy for translations TBH. I genuinely appreciate Nono doing that.

Brazil
10-10-2016, 04:49 PM
^we all do

Mugen
10-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Sorry ElNono if you're busy....but it's time...
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jxAQ0B4tWL4/hqdefault.jpg

crofl