PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Top 25 All Time (Fox Sports)

JohnnyMax
10-08-2016, 12:35 PM
25 Charles Barkley
Chuck was a logical paradox -- a "6-foot-6" power forward with a taste for McDonald's who actually stood just 6-foot-4 yet somehow gobbled up boards to the point that he earned the nickname "The Round Mound of Rebound."

24 Elgin Baylor
This list will tend to skew toward the modern era, because the level of competition you played against matters as well. But Baylor was so outstanding with the Lakers that it's impossible to hold his era against him.

23 Reggie Miller
One of the greatest shooters and scorers ever -- and a guy who's overrated thanks to a couple of high-profile playoff moments against the Knicks.

22 Kevin Durant
If Durant wins a ring (or, more likely, multiple rings), will people forgive him for helping to form one of the NBA's most egregious superteam? Yeah, probably. People love championships.

21 Dirk Nowitzki
If for no other reason than leading the Mavs to their title over LeBron's Heat, Dirk has to be in the top 25. His reign as the best-shooting big man of all-time solidifies his standing.

20 John Stockton
"Longevity without dominance or rings": the John Stockton story.

19 Karl Malone
The John Stockton story is also the Karl Malone story, conveniently enough. Bonus points to the Mailman for being one of the few NBA players to fix his free-throw shooting over his career.

18 Kevin Garnett
Perhaps the first surprising name on this list, KG checks off dominance (particularly on defense, where he might somehow be underrated these days) and championships.

17 Dwyane Wade
Old Wade is a player trying to f!ght against age and the rising tide of 3-point shooting in the league. Young Wade was one of the greatest scorers ever.

16 Scottie Pippen
A man who sacrificed glory for the sake of the team. No one outside of LeBron James can touch Pippen's versatility, and his defense was second-to-none.

15 Julius Erving
Dr. J made his reputation as a scorer and high-flyer, which is kind of a shame. He was a fantastic playmaker and all-around player as well. When you're that good around the rim, though, that's what people remember.

14 Jerry West
He's the Logo, after all.

13 David Robinson
Maybe the most underrated player in NBA history.

12 Kobe Bryant
Nothing I can say here will change your mind about where Kobe stands as an all-timer. Let's just move on.

11 Oscar Robertson
If Robinson is the most underrated player in basketball, Robertson is the most overlooked. You can point to the different pace of the game and all the context you want; the fact of the matter is the man averaged a triple-double in a season, which is absolutely ridiculous.

10 Hakeem Olajuwon
Olajuwon had kind of an odd career, peaking as an all-around player in his 30s. Prime Olajuwon was a force to be reckoned with on both ends of the floor. If he played today, he'd give LeBron a run for his money as the best player in the game.

9 Larry Bird
Inside the top 10, we're really splitting hairs. Bird is a bit lower in my book than he might be in others because of the injuries -- and because he didn't revolutionize the game the way Steph Curry is these days. Yes, I penalize Bird for not taking more 3s. Deal with it.

8 Wilt Chamberlain
As I briefly mentioned in ranking Elgin Baylor, your competition matters when we're talking about dominance. Wilt was undoubtedly one of the three most dominant players ever, but he played in a weaker era -- and he couldn't overcome his nemesis.

7 Bill Russell
I used to have Russell in my top three. I've recently had a bit of a "Come to Jesus" moment about the game in its early days, however, and I can no longer in good conscience have Russell ahead of the modern stars in the top six here. If you want to claim he's a top-three player, though, I'm down with that.

6 Magic Johnson
Had Magic not retired early, he'd be the second-best player ever.

5 Tim Duncan
Duncan defined one of basketball's most successful franchises for almost 20 years. From the moment he stepped into the NBA, he was one of its best players. And while most people won't a.ssociate Timmy with dominance, that's only because we're looking at the wrong end of the floor. He was the driving force behind some of the greatest defenses in history. In a game that's often decided by the sum of your errors, Duncan rarely made mistakes.

4 Shaquille O'Neal
I understand the arguments against Shaq being even a top-10 player. He took entire seasons off. He was rarely in shape after he won his first championships. And he poisoned locker rooms.

With the caveat that I never watched Wilt Chamberlain, however, Shaq was the single most dominant player I've seen. His ability to pulverize the opposition makes him one of the very, very best in my book.

3 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
The all-time leading scorer is famous for his longevity and all the records that came with a storied career. I'm just afraid we ignore Cap's dominance because of his 20 seasons in the league. He was the definition of unstoppable.

2 LeBron James
Leading the Cavs back from a 3-1 deficit cemented LeBron's status as the second-best player in NBA history. No one has ever come close to combining his dominance, versatility, and intelligence into one package. It seems absurd to say right now, but LeBron might end up making 10 straight Finals appearances. Hate on him if you want, but only one player can claim to be greater.

1 Michael Jordan
The GOAT.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/ranking-the-25-greatest-players-in-nba-history-100716

JMarkJohns
10-08-2016, 12:41 PM
No freaking way... That is a terrible list.

baseline bum
10-08-2016, 12:49 PM
No freaking way... That is a terrible list.

At least they got #12 right though.

apalisoc_9
10-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Solid list. KAJ is still second on my list though

daslicer
10-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Surprisingly this a good list. I have Duncan at third on my list but outside of that it's a pretty good list. All of the top 10 are the top 10 I have on my list.

Chris
10-08-2016, 01:26 PM

lefty
10-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Dr J wasted 5 years in the ABA tbh

Silver&Black
10-08-2016, 02:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gymG4jp.png

spurraider21
10-08-2016, 03:26 PM

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2016, 03:39 PM
The top 5-10 is decent(excluding Bill Russell's ranking, which is terrible), but wow, the rest is atrocious..

Reggie Miller shouldn't be anywhere near a top 25 list, let alone ahead of Charles Barkley:lmao..Reggie shouldn't even be in anybody's top 40, tbh..he's a worse Klay Thompson..

If you're going to include old players and assume their status is legitimate(which isn't the case, but I'll play along), where's Moses Malone?

lefty
10-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Reggie would average 50 ppg today tbh

And unlike Klay Thompson he doesn't disappear in the playoffs ....

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Respect to the author for having Scottie so high, tbh..the most underrated player in NBA history IMO..

spursistan
10-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Duncan > Shaq. how is this even still debatable in basketball circles after 5?

I agree with whoever said in the other thread that Shaq only rang when the great centers/Bigs of 1990s all TOSBed...

LittleCriminal
10-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Im surprised this doucher didnt have klay and steph in his top 5..
James at 2?? Pfft..
Shit writer/shit list.

lefty
10-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Moses Malone is criminally underrated

Dragged a shit Rockets team to the Finals

Went to the Sixers and they won the title

Moses went toe to toe with Kareem everytime

djohn2oo8
10-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Duncan > Shaq. how is this even still debatable in basketball circles after 5?

I agree with whoever said in the other thread that Shaq only rang when the great centers/Bigs of 1990s all TOSBed...
No, Duncan was not better than Shaq.

Chris
10-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Duncan>Shaq non-debatable

10-08-2016, 04:57 PM
What a fucking terrible list :lmao

DMC
10-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Wait for it...

<----------------------------------------

Spurtacular
10-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Whitewash / Groupthink list, tbh. Nothing new.

Spurtacular
10-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Reggie would average 50 ppg today tbh

And unlike Klay Thompson he doesn't disappear in the playoffs ....

Hyperbole and a bit of an undersell on Klay; but I feel the sentiment, tbh.

ambchang
10-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Where the hell is isiah Thomas?

Took the list with a pound of salt once I saw reggie millers name in there.

Spurtacular
10-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Dunno what all the Reggie Miller hate is all about.

Miller > Wade

TBH

Spurtacular
10-08-2016, 11:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gymG4jp.png

Just looks like a TOSB. They were trying to give him one last All Star MVP, but he was having a hard time just getting up and down the court.

Sean Cagney
10-08-2016, 11:46 PM
No, Duncan was not better than Shaq.

He was better for longer than Shaq. Shaq had that window and those dominant years but he did not have the longevity Tim Duncan had.

poeticism707
10-09-2016, 12:32 AM
Surprisingly this a good list. I have Duncan at third on my list but outside of that it's a pretty good list. All of the top 10 are the top 10 I have on my list.

Agree.

TD is anywhere from 1 to 5.

But other than that,

holy fuck all what a great list.

One of the best I've ever seen.

This guy knows basketball.

Which is why he doesn't write for espn.

Spurtacular
10-09-2016, 12:50 AM
9 Larry BirdInside the top 10, we're really splitting hairs. Bird is a bit lower in my book than he might be in others because of the injuries -- and because he didn't revolutionize the game the way Steph Curry is these days. Yes, I penalize Bird for not taking more 3s. Deal with it.

This dude's trying to use Steph Curry (who did not even make the list) to put Larry Legend down. Amateur Hour.

-21-
10-09-2016, 02:05 AM
I'd have Pippen & Miller lower and add Isaiah Thomas in there. All in all, still a solid list imo.

Stalin
10-09-2016, 05:42 AM
This dude's trying to use Steph Curry (who did not even make the list) to put Larry Legend down. Amateur Hour.

:lol

Caltex2
10-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Agree.

TD is anywhere from 1 to 5.

But other than that,

holy fuck all what a great list.

One of the best I've ever seen.

This guy knows basketball.

Which is why he doesn't write for espn.

I know what website I'm on but TD didn't have a high enough peak to be number 1. He was just painstakingly consistent for years. That's what makes his ranking fine to me.

DAF86
10-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Reggie Miller :lmao

Brazil
10-11-2016, 01:14 PM
:lol quite a terrible list tbh

he has 12 and 1 the rest is meh or plain awful

Chris
10-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Glad we all agree 12 is accurate or at least generous.

TrainOfThought5
10-11-2016, 05:28 PM
At least they got #12 right though.

Phenomanul
10-11-2016, 05:47 PM
My list (posted in a different thread) is more complete and makes more sense:

My All-Time Top Ten

Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Tim Duncan
Lebron James
Larry Bird
Oscar Robertson
Bill Russell
Hakeem Olajuwon

Next 10

Julius Erving
Moses Malone
David Robinson
Shaquille O'Neal
Elgin Baylor
Jerry West
Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitzki
Karl Malone (ewww)
John Havlicek

Next 10

Charles Barkley
Bob Pettit
Chris Paul
Scottie Pippen
John Stockton
George Gervin
Elvin Hayes
Dominique Wilkins
Kevin McHale
Dwayne Wade

Next 10

Steph Curry (gulp)
Pete Maravich
Kevin Durant
Rick Barry
Clyde Drexler
Willis Reed
George Mikan
Isaiah Thomas
James Worthy
Kevin Garnett

Next 10

Walt Frazier
Jason Kidd
Patrick Ewing
Bob Cousy
Robert Parish
Allen Iverson
Bill Walton
Hal Greer
Dave Bing
Bernard King

apalisoc_9
10-11-2016, 06:10 PM
My list (posted in a different thread) is more complete and makes more sense:

Your list os fucking awful.

Just a sour spursfan that cant seem to axcept the fact that o'neal and Bryant were the only other two prominemt players in that list to have won three in a row.

Kobe is at worst 15..

Bird :lol

Obligatory white guy o top ten

JERRY WEST OVER THE BEAN :lol

Phenomanul
10-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Your list os fucking awful.

Just a sour spursfan that cant seem to axcept the fact that o'neal and Bryant were the only other two prominemt players in that list to have won three in a row.

Kobe is at worst 15..

Bean and Jerry are interchangeable... and likely an oversight on my part. Larry was more dominant than Bryant.

Bird :lol

Obligatory white guy o top ten

JERRY WEST OVER THE BEAN :lol

Jerry over Bean is an oversight on my part... that said, Larry Legend was more dominant than Bean.