PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: will be a top 4 team in the West this season, tbh...

ElNono
10-10-2016, 12:10 AM
First, there's addition by subtraction by getting rid of that clown Dwight. That's pretty big.

D'Antoni gets a lot of flak, but looking at the NBA landscape, he's not that terrible of a coach, despite his oddities, tbh...

He has a roster pretty well suited to run his high pace, 3 pointer game... Brewer is especially good leaking out and getting easy points, and the Gordon and Anderson additions give him good outside shooting.

Nene is probably the weak point, but they can play small a lot and the rules nowadays favor that. They're not super deep, but unless the injury bug hits, D'Antoni likes to play top heavy a lot of minutes.

I know it's difficult to compete with a team like the Warriors, but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up being the #1 offensive team statistically this season.

SAGirl
10-10-2016, 12:24 AM
^^ That is what they were going on ... all offense.
I thought that is the way Pop was going in the bench as well... with Bertans (and J.Simms whose best skill is transition scoring, I know they don't want him to be Corey Brewer and he has shown flashes of possibly being more, but it is what it is currently)... Pop went the other way which has me scratching my head...
but anyways, they have some guys prone to injury in Gordon and Anderson himself. It's counterproductive to overplay those two, but they went into this season wanting to score a lot of points.

That style doesn't survive the playoffs though.

ElNono
10-10-2016, 12:27 AM
^^ That is what they were going on ... all offense.
I thought that is the way Pop was going in the bench as well... with Bertans (and J.Simms whose best skill is transition scoring, I know they don't want him to be Corey Brewer and he has shown flashes of possibly being more, but it is what it is currently)... Pop went the other way which has me scratching my head...
but anyways, they have some guys prone to injury in Gordon and Anderson himself. It's counterproductive to overplay those two, but they went into this season wanting to score a lot of points.

That style doesn't survive the playoffs though.

He was once a Horry hipcheck away from the NBA Finals, tbh...

Sean Cagney
10-10-2016, 12:46 AM
He was once a Horry hipcheck away from the NBA Finals, tbh...

Debatable and his talent on the Suns team was insane, they never played a lick of D though and I think Spurs still edge them that year because before blowing that lead in game 4 at home late they were in control of the whole series and should have went up 3-1 before that awful 4th Q. Spurs whip them 4-1 the next year round one to shut their fans up pretty much with that robbed crap.

D anphoni's teams were good but their lack of D never made me take them really serious because they could never get a stop when they needed to it seemed. His style of play does not translate to the playoffs, just high flying fun to watch. He is an okay coach I guess, at best.

SAGirl
10-10-2016, 01:08 AM
But I guess the point does stand that they can be a RS marvel if healthy...

apalisoc_9
10-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Hard to imagine a team 20th and below in defense to finish 4th..specially since half of the eastern confrence is built around beating a team like Houston..

Offensively, they're probably going to be 5th best at worst...most likely second best. Should be enough to get them a top 6 finish....but 4th..hard to tell.

tbdog
10-10-2016, 02:50 AM
I got Rockets wrong twice. 2 years ago when they were 2nd seed and got to the WCF, I pegged them to miss out of the playoffs. They had no depth, and once the injuries rolled in, they were gonners. The funny thing is, they had a few injuries and had a great year. The next year I felt that fixed their depth and yet they were terrible.

So this year their depth is bad again. They don't have a legit backup PF, SF, and their PG rotation is ordinary, even if Harden does play pg, then after Gordon they have no depth.

LkrFan
10-10-2016, 07:04 AM
:lol

djohn2oo8
10-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Can't believe Capela is starting at Center...

DMC
10-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Maybe, but the Rockets aren't the Suns. Not even close. If you think the problem in Houston was Howard, you're missing something. Some guys won't be coached into changing how they play the game. Get enough of those guys on the same team and you're locked in to early exits every year because guys are looking for the summer vacation already. Harden is a loser. He always gives up when the pressure is on.

Anyhow what does 4th get them? They have made the playoffs pretty regularly it seems, so if that's all Houston wants they didn't need to do anything in the off season.

djohn2oo8
10-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Maybe, but the Rockets aren't the Suns. Not even close. If you think the problem in Houston was Howard, you're missing something. Some guys won't be coached into changing how they play the game. Get enough of those guys on the same team and you're locked in to early exits every year because guys are looking for the summer vacation already. Harden is a loser. He always gives up when the pressure is on.

Anyhow what does 4th get them? They have made the playoffs pretty regularly it seems, so if that's all Houston wants they didn't need to do anything in the off season.

You don't go on national tv and rip your current employer. Goddamn right Dwight was a problem. He has been one everywhere he has been. Dwight had 2 good years in Houston, but yes he was absolutely a cancer last year. Ask Al Horford why he left Atlanta...

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2016/05/jason-terry-on-if-dwight-howard-quit-on-rockets-his-reduced-role-video/

djohn2oo8
10-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Lakerfans were right. If you know anything about basketball, players who don't want to play pick and roll are a negative to the team.

DMC
10-10-2016, 10:18 AM
We'll just because you have chemistry issues doesn't mean when you get rid of that you're going to have a better postseason. You still have James Harden as your best fucking player. You have Mike D as a coach. He's playing your starters playoff level minutes in the fucking preseason. Let's see how this looks After Harden tears his ACL or some other bullshit happens like that.

djohn2oo8
10-10-2016, 10:31 AM
We'll just because you have chemistry issues doesn't mean when you get rid of that you're going to have a better postseason You still have James Harden as your best fucking player. You have Mike D as a coach. He's playing your starters playoff level minutes in the fucking preseason. Let's see how this looks After Harden tears his ACL or some other bullshit happens like that.
Regardless of chemistry issues, there is just no way you can justify paying Dwight that much money when his body has started to break down and his athleticism declining. And I'm no fan of D'antoni either.

Spurs9
10-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Good bump material in a few months :lol

Raven
10-10-2016, 10:40 AM
will probably be 13th team in the west.

Raven
10-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Can't believe Capela is starting at Center...

don't worry, he won't average more than 20 minutes per game. Frankly, I will be shocked if he consistently manages not to foul out with those minutes.

Darth_Pelican
10-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Just don't expect Eric Gordon or Ryan Anderson to win games for you down the stretch. They are both mentally weak and disappear when clutch time comes.

ambchang
10-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Don't expect harden to go supernova again. He already got paid.

LittleCriminal
10-10-2016, 01:46 PM
With Pringles as the head coach, i bet the team loses gas and burnes out sometime after that shit All Star Break..

lefty
10-10-2016, 01:49 PM
:lol today's NBA

apalisoc_9
10-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Just don't expect Eric Gordon or Ryan Anderson to win games for you down the stretch. They are both mentally weak and disappear when clutch time comes.

Anderson never dissapears against the spurs.

Chris
10-10-2016, 07:51 PM

tbh

ElNono
10-11-2016, 12:48 AM

There's players that play to have fun and don't care about winning (Nash, Harden), then there's Dwight Howard, who simply doesn't care about anything at all. At least the former will give the fans some enjoyable moments, possibly an enjoyable season, but the latter has near zero redeemable value.

I think for the flak Pringles received as a Lakers coach, and even a Suns coach, his teams did generally 'well' (IIRC, last coach to get the Lakers in the playoffs). I do think this team is pretty well suited to run what Pringles likes to run, and despite the well known disinterest with defense, he's a guy that knows how to create explosive offense when he has the right tools at his disposal.

Being top 4 doesn't get them anything, tbh, I'm just throwing this prediction out there now before the season starts. If healthy, I can see this team being one of those 'fun to watch' Pringles teams that overachieve. Could be an epic fail at the end of the day, I'm sure somebody will remind me if it is...

Thread
10-11-2016, 12:51 AM
There's players that play to have fun and don't care about winning (Nash, Harden), then there's Dwight Howard, who simply doesn't care about anything at all. At least the former will give the fans some enjoyable moments, possibly an enjoyable season, but the latter has near zero redeemable value.

I think for the flak Pringles received as a Lakers coach, and even a Suns coach, his teams did generally 'well' (IIRC, last coach to get the Lakers in the playoffs). I do think this team is pretty well suited to run what Pringles likes to run, and despite the well known disinterest with defense, he's a guy that knows how to create explosive offense when he has the right tools at his disposal.

Being top 4 doesn't get them anything, tbh, I'm just throwing this prediction out there now before the season starts. If healthy, I can see this team being one of those 'fun to watch' Pringles teams that overachieve. Could be an epic fail at the end of the day, I'm sure somebody will remind me if it is...

Hey, El, are you still watching your children masturbate?

ElNono
10-11-2016, 12:56 AM
Hey, El, are you still watching your children masturbate?

What part of that post hit a nerve? :lol

Thread
10-11-2016, 12:57 AM

No, seriously, El, are you still watching your children masturbate?

ElNono
10-11-2016, 01:00 AM

You never dictate what I post. That never worked with me, remember?

Now, back to the topic at hand, what part of that post hit a nerve? :lol

Thread
10-11-2016, 01:02 AM
You never dictate what I post. That never worked with me, remember?

Now, back to the topic at hand, what part of that post hit a nerve? :lol

ElNono
10-11-2016, 01:05 AM

I see, it's the good ole recycling of the parrot meme schtick... go on :lol

Thread
10-11-2016, 01:06 AM
I see, it's the good ole recycling of the parrot meme schtick... go on :lol

Splits
10-12-2016, 09:07 PM
roxj-So4gyY

Molotov
10-17-2016, 02:57 AM
roxj-So4gyY

:lol Today's NBA.

Brazil
10-17-2016, 08:48 AM
roxj-So4gyY

:lmao wtf

worst than Noah tbh

poeticism707
10-18-2016, 01:21 AM

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Molotov
10-18-2016, 04:26 AM

UNT Eagles 2016
10-18-2016, 06:43 PM
2nd seed tbh

ElNono
10-27-2016, 12:15 AM
First game jitters, tbh... Non-Issue

Killakobe81
10-27-2016, 12:16 AM
First game jitters, tbh... Non-Issue

Agreed overreaction just like last night but not sure they are top 4 though ...

Ball Buster
10-27-2016, 12:19 AM
that was that was fucking cool. Great first game of the season

ElNono
11-10-2016, 02:38 AM
#4 right now...

tbh, didn't think OKC would look this good... but I can't think Westbrook is going to last all season playing like a madman...

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2016, 02:42 AM
#4 right now...

tbh, didn't think OKC would look this good... but I can't think Westbrook is going to last all season playing like a madman...

They are #4, despite playing 7 road games vs. 1 home game, tbh..very impressive with Harden as the MVP frontrunner, so far..

Nice to see the God D'Antoni in a position to succeed for the first time since Phoenix..doesn't have to deal with cancerous players(Carmelo, Howard, Kobe, etc) and owners(Dolan, Buss kids)..

apalisoc_9
11-10-2016, 02:46 AM
#4 right now...

OKC will start to fall imo.

But Harden as PG is killing most teams right now. You can make a legit argument that he's the best PG in the league. Impressive what harden is doing, imo. He plays with some of the most inconsistent shitty players tbh.

I wonder if he makes First team all nba over curry or Westbrook

apalisoc_9
11-10-2016, 02:49 AM
El-Nonos got some quoting to do if the Rockets finish top 4. :lol

Robz4000
11-10-2016, 02:51 AM
Bad news for the Spurs if the Rockets start playing good D consistently and the Thunder continue to over-perform. Had them as a shoe-in for third best but it's starting to look like they may be a bottom-tier playoff team, with three of the four ahead of them being match up nightmares.

sook
11-10-2016, 07:14 PM
They are #4, despite playing 7 road games vs. 1 home game, tbh..very impressive with Harden as the MVP frontrunner, so far..

Nice to see the God D'Antoni in a position to succeed for the first time since Phoenix..doesn't have to deal with cancerous players(Carmelo, Howard, Kobe, etc) and owners(Dolan, Buss kids)..

They will of course still get Dantoni'd in the post season...but I'm eating crow for my RS comments.

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2016, 07:47 PM
They will of course still get Dantoni'd in the post season...but I'm eating crow for my RS comments.

They don't have the talent to win in the playoffs, regardless of coach, tbh..

spursistan
12-02-2016, 02:12 AM
They are better than I expected them to be, at least as a regular season team..they should be favorite over the Jazz for the 4th seed since the latter can't stay healthy for shit..

Robz4000
12-02-2016, 02:15 AM
Good call Nonostradamus :tu

DAF86
12-02-2016, 04:24 AM
Only 'cause Conly got injured, tbh.

StrengthAndHonor
12-02-2016, 10:58 PM
But Harden as PG is killing most teams right now. You can make a legit argument that he's the best PG in the league.

Come on man. Harden is leading the league in turnovers.

Mark in Austin
12-03-2016, 11:20 AM
D'Antoni team just doing what D'Antoni teams do. Nothing to see here. Empty calories.

12-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Only 'cause Conly got injured, tbh.grizzlies haven't been healthy the last few years, it's expected at this point. They should've blown it up after 14.

Mikeanaro
12-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Considering the shitty state of the league... any team can be a top 4.

12-03-2016, 01:00 PM
D'Antoni team just doing what D'Antoni teams do. Nothing to see here. Empty calories.
Implying just because they won't win the championship that it's empty calories lol they're overachieving

HarlemHeat37
12-03-2016, 04:07 PM
I hate that I really like this Rockets team, tbh, feels disgusting, considering I strongly dislike their franchise and Rockets fan..

sook
12-04-2016, 04:17 PM
honestly, rockettefan is probably most humble fan in the NBA...

AlexJones
12-09-2016, 11:42 PM
1. Warriors
2. Cavs
3. Clippers
4. Spurs (one of the most overvalued team in the NBA so far)
5. Raptors
6. Rockets

Splits
12-10-2016, 01:16 AM

Fabbs
12-10-2016, 01:41 AM
meh watched the 1st half. Boring.
Did WestChimp try to win or was he obsessed with getting the triple double in the 4th?

ElNono
12-20-2016, 12:49 AM
I hate that I really like this Rockets team, tbh, feels disgusting, considering I strongly dislike their franchise and Rockets fan..

Clyde was insufferable when they sucked, he's probably even worse now...

Killakobe81
12-20-2016, 10:50 AM
So far so good for El people forget Mike D can Coach offense his system has, resurrected Gordon and salvaged Ariza who had been slipping to mediocrity

Killakobe81
12-20-2016, 10:52 AM
They would cause State more problems in round 2 than LA's other basketball team, tbh

Fabbs
12-20-2016, 02:25 PM
They would cause State more problems in round 2 than LA's other basketball team, tbh
Interesting.
That would be nice.
I know Patrick Beverly getting up in Currys face was :clap

resistanze
12-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Capela out for several weeks

ElNono
05-02-2017, 04:39 PM
:wow

Ghazi
05-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Nonostradamus