PDA

View Full Version : Which Franchise is a larger joke?

Fabbs
10-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Which NFL franchise is a larger joke?

Clipper Nation
10-10-2016, 11:17 AM
The Browns have more championships (including the AAFC era, they have 8 to the Chargers' 1) and they have won a championship more recently. The new Browns have the excuse of never being able to find a franchise QB, no matter how hard they've tried. The Chargers have one and are still abysmal. The Chargers are the bigger joke and it's not even close.

Avante
10-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Bob St.Clair
Leo Nomellini
Joe "Jet" Perry
Y.A,Tittle
Hugh "King" McElhenny
Dave Wilcox
John Henry Johnson
Jim Johnson
Ronnie Lott
Charles Haley
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Jerry Rice
Terrell Owens...will be

did play with the Niners

O.J.Simpson
Bob Hayes
Deion Sanders
Rod Woodson
Randy Moss

All in the Hall of Fame.

FIVE TIME...Superbowl Champions, one play away from having 6 and that was holding in the endzone.

Soooooooo many firsts....

First team to make the shot gun a real formation.

Only team to have three HOF RB's all there at the same time. (QB Y.A.Tittle also)

R.C. Owens only player to ever block a FG while standing under the crossbar.

First team to use that...just toss it high with their Alley Oop pass. That was Tittle to Owens (a basketballer at Idaho who could really jump)

Joe "Jet" Perry, first black 1000yard rusher in NFL history, and the only 1000 yard rusher who just played JC ball (Compton).

J.D.Smith the first 1000 yard rusher from those HBCU schools, NCA&T.

In 1948 the Niners rushed for an pro football record 3,663 yards.

Only team to have a QB/WR in that GOAT discussion with Montana to Rice.

So for us Niners fans knowing all that history to see what we are seeing now......sheesh~~~~

Once upon a time the Steelers were the laughing stock of pro football, from 1933 to 1972 they had never won more than 9 games in any season, they had less than 7 wins...34 times, then here came "Mean" Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Mel Blount, Mie Webster, all in the HOF. Well my Niners are just like that only going backwards.

Fabbs
10-10-2016, 12:02 PM
The Browns have more championships (including the AAFC era, they have 8 to the Chargers' 1) and they have won a championship more recently. The new Browns have the excuse of never being able to find a franchise QB, no matter how hard they've tried. The Chargers have one and are still abysmal. The Chargers are the bigger joke and it's not even close.
Lets go with 1980 forward and more specifically year 2000 forward.

JoeTait75
10-10-2016, 12:13 PM

I get that you're down on the Chargers and you should be, but no franchise is a bigger embarrassment than the Browns. At least the Chargers have been to a Super Bowl and they've had some of the most talented teams in football in just the last decade. The Browns have never been to a Super Bowl, haven't won a division title in almost three decades and haven't even had a consistently good team in that long either. As far as a franchise QB is concerned, the Browns have barely even tried to find one. They passed on Ben Roethlisberger, passed on Aaron Rodgers, passed on Derek Carr, passed on Carson Wentz... I mean, what do you say about a franchise that has had the worst QB problem in football for almost two decades yet won't even try to solve the problem? It's a fucking disgrace.

benefactor
10-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Cleveland with Houston being a close second. They just go about it in different ways. Cleveland stays consistently bad while Houston will tease there fans with the appearance of being good only to crush their hopes in the most painful fashion possible.

Clipper Nation
10-10-2016, 01:00 PM
I get that you're down on the Chargers and you should be, but no franchise is a bigger embarrassment than the Browns. At least the Chargers have been to a Super Bowl and they've had some of the most talented teams in football in just the last decade. The Browns have never been to a Super Bowl, haven't won a division title in almost three decades and haven't even had a consistently good team in that long either. As far as a franchise QB is concerned, the Browns have barely even tried to find one. They passed on Ben Roethlisberger, passed on Aaron Rodgers, passed on Derek Carr, passed on Carson Wentz... I mean, what do you say about a franchise that has had the worst QB problem in football for almost two decades yet won't even try to solve the problem? It's a fucking disgrace.
Browns fans have had it rough for sure, but imagine if the Browns finally found their franchise QB and preceded to find new and more agonizing ways to keep losing. That's what being a Chargers fan has been like lately, especially these last two seasons.

I don't think it's fair to say the Browns haven't tried to find a QB. If you want to see a team that really hasn't tried to find one, look no further than the Chiefs. You guys just haven't drafted well, which is different from not trying.

JoeTait75
10-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Browns fans have had it rough for sure, but imagine if the Browns finally found their franchise QB and preceded to find new and more agonizing ways to keep losing. That's what being a Chargers fan has been like lately, especially these last two seasons.

I don't think it's fair to say the Browns haven't tried to find a QB. If you want to see a team that really hasn't tried to find one, look no further than the Chiefs. You guys just haven't drafted well, which is different from not trying.

To your first point that's what we went through with Bernie Kosar back in the day. Yeah, it sucks no question.

But I don't agree that the Browns have tried hard to solve the QB issue, or at least tried hard enough. They haven't used their first pick on a QB since 1999- almost two decades. Drafting Manziel wasn't a serious attempt to solve the QB problem, it was a publicity stunt, a way to sell tickets and merchandise. Bringing in guys like Trent Dilfer, Jake Delhomme and Josh McCown isn't a serious attempt to solve the QB problem. So many people in this city, from the organization to the coaches to the media to the fans, are paralyzed by the idea of spending a really high pick on a QB because of what happened to Tim Couch. So they've more or less shopped in the bargain bin since 1999. I can handle swinging and missing, but this franchise doesn't even want to take the bat off its shoulder.

spurraider21
10-10-2016, 01:41 PM

for most of rivers career the chargers were the class of the AFC-W iirc... that's still something the browns haven't felt, a sustained period of contending

Clipper Nation
10-10-2016, 01:57 PM
for most of rivers career the chargers were the class of the AFC-W iirc... that's still something the browns haven't felt, a sustained period of contending
The Browns had the Otto Graham dynasty and the three AFC title game appearances in the late '80s.

Fabbs
10-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Tf? Don't think i would say "most" and "class" of AFC West.

In 10 seasons as a starter the Chargers made the playoffs 5 times. While certainly 5-10 is not too shabby, the two years they were #1 or #2 seed, they got assran twice at home in their 1st playoff game. Other 3 years Charger were the Wildcard.
4-5 playoff record overall.

spurraider21
10-10-2016, 05:56 PM
i guess "most" was wrong, but from 2004-2009 the chargers won the AFC-W five times. they've been painfully mediocre since, going 9-7, 8-8, 7-9, 9-7, 9-7 (though they made wild card one of those years too). bottomed out at 4-12 last year

Silver&Black
10-10-2016, 06:34 PM

^
All of this. Browns win this debate hands down.

A Browns fan would change places with the Chargers in a heartbeat.