PDA

View Full Version : How Tony Parker Is Evolving to Give Spurs Just What They Need

-21-
10-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Tony

"It's been great," Parker said of his changing role. "I love my role, and I'll try to do the best I can this year to keep winning games. You know, we won 67 games last year. We’ll try to do the same thing and go further in the playoffs. As long as [coach Gregg Popovich] is happy, that’s my main job here. I don’t care if people don’t understand my role or all this stuff I have to do now.”

“It’s hard to explain the way I felt, but for sure I think my role is even bigger [now] on the leadership thing,” Parker said. Now, the key is to spread “the Spurs mentality and the way we play: unselfish, sharing the ball, only caring about winning and winning championships. That was the best thing about Timmy when I first came in, [him] showing all of us how to do it.”

As part of this transition, Parker said he’s studied Stockton, Kidd and Steve Nash, all veterans who “were still efficient” as they aged into their mid-to-late 30s.

“I always study everybody,” Parker said. “You know, I’m a big student of the game. So as everybody gets older and further in their careers, you just have to adapt. I’m lucky that we have a lot of great players on the team. Of course, you can pick up stuff from everybody. You can learn from everybody and see what fits in your game. I'm just trying to do what Pop wants, and if he wants me to play like that, that's all I care about: winning and winning championships. At the end of the day, if I can win a couple of more before I retire, I will be very happy.”

Kawhi

Leonard joined the Spurs during that 2011-12 season, and remembers Parker toting most of the load on offense.

At the time, Parker was “very aggressive on the offensive end,” Leonard said. “[It was] just him trying to score a lot of points, just really carrying us. We didn’t have the talent level that we have now, and as he’s slowed down, Pop has given him a different role.”

Pop

“He’s done that more and more,” Popovich said. “He’s done a great job, just like David [Robinson] did for Tim [Duncan] and Tim did for Manu [Ginobili] and Tony. Now they’re realizing the ball needs to go in different places, and Tony is finding out he’s pretty darned skilled at it. He’s been really great in practice at finding open people.”

Manu

“Yeah, it’s a transition that everyone goes through with years and with experience, and the addition of new, younger talent,” Ginobili said. “He's understood it, and he's done it really well. He, of course, at the beginning is going to have some ups and downs, and sometimes even some frustration. But I think he went past that, and we are looking forward to seeing him mature in that aspect and keep going but in different role; not in the one where we need 20 [points] and 10 [assists] from him.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/1028/how-tony-parker-evolves-to-give-spurs-just-what-they-need

Chinook
10-10-2016, 01:43 PM
All the more reason to not trade Danny for Ricky Rubio.

bklynspursfan
10-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Was gonna share this too, but worried what it'd turn in to with some of the posters here. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing what he's got this year. These changes don't happen over night or even in a season with guys who were so ball dominant. These things are gradual changes.

-21-
10-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Was gonna share this too, but worried what it'd turn in to with some of the posters here. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing what he's got this year. These changes don't happen over night or even in a season with guys who were so ball dominant. These things gradual changes.

Yeah and Tony seems really great about it too. Can't be easy, especially for someone like him who cares about these things more than your average Spur. You can really see he's trying put the team's best interests first.

rastaspur
10-10-2016, 02:20 PM
An encouraging sign. If he stays within the parameters of his designated role then he can be a net positive.

Keep saying the right things but he needs to implement and stay confined to a facilitator role all season long and not go hero ball two weeks into the season.

Hoops Czar
10-10-2016, 02:23 PM
:worthy: We are not worthy. We are so blessed to have a pg with veteran leadership like Tony Parker on the team.

JohnnyMax
10-10-2016, 02:32 PM
http://i.imgbox.com/hHooCE9u.gif

SAGirl
10-10-2016, 02:33 PM
We can't underestimate the mental aspect.

In context: the talk about Ginobili feeling "important," so the mental aspect is relevant for everybody and Ginobili mentions that at times Tony was frustrated. I think when a guy is not looking for his shot as often as Tony used to, and has to prioritize others, his own rhythm and things like that come into play as well, and thus he had some stinkers which have to be frustrating. But it seems like right now Tony is adjusting.

I agree with brooklynfan, these things are gradual. (I also think the growth of younger players is gradual. Kawhi improved each season before getting to where he is at for example. He didn't just roll out of bed his second season and was an MVP candidate.)

This season I do look forward to see the evolution of Tony and the Spurs offense. I also look forward to watching the evolution in the bench. But Tony is setting an example here for everyone else. Now he has to go out and do it, that is the challenge.

monkeypunk
10-10-2016, 03:03 PM
We can't underestimate the mental aspect.

In context: the talk about Ginobili feeling "important," so the mental aspect is relevant for everybody and Ginobili mentions that at times Tony was frustrated. I think when a guy is not looking for his shot as often as Tony used to, and has to prioritize others, his own rhythm and things like that come into play as well, and thus he had some stinkers which have to be frustrating. But it seems like right now Tony is adjusting.

I agree with brooklynfan, these things are gradual. (I also think the growth of younger players is gradual. Kawhi improved each season before getting to where he is at for example. He didn't just roll out of bed his second season and was an MVP candidate.)

This season I do look forward to see the evolution of Tony and the Spurs offense. I also look forward to watching the evolution in the bench. But Tony is setting an example here for everyone else. Now he has to go out and do it, that is the challenge.

The thing with Tony is that he has to trust the other players enough to score when needed instead of saying, fuckit, I got this and going hero style.

That means the other players have to be trustworthy enough to produce but he does have to work on the patience of watching it play out. Hopefully he can curb that hero shit for the first half of the RS to at least see what he has to work with...

SAGirl
10-10-2016, 03:15 PM
^^^ Someone who has to trust others too is Manu. (Just saying.)

And it is funny you should mention trust bc one thing Pop said about young players is that not only they have to get confidence in themselves, but teammates have to get confidence in them too, and it's sometimes unnatural to the vets bc they were used to being the ones taking it upon themselves to save the situation if they needed to. Tony did a fair amount of this, but at times others were not stepping up to the challenge. It's a synergy. Others have to get aggressive as well and demand control of the situation (with Pop's green light of course).

Kawhi was still developing an attitude of knowing when to take over last season. I know this bc he said one of the things he worked on over the summer was knowing the times when he needed to take over and demand possessions. I can only imagine he meant he's looked at a lot of film of himself in games etc., (and maybe talked to Kobe like Pop said he wanted him to mentor Kawhi) and he is starting to understand that at times h needs to call up for the ball and take command. I expect the team to progress in that direction. Tony is talking the talk, now we just have to see him walk the walk. Kawhi and LMA too, they have their share in this as well. The team is an organic entity.

BillMc
10-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Tony is doing everything he can and now, in the current market, his contract is by no means an albatross. Nothing really to complain about. :flag:

BillMc
10-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Tony

Kawhi

Pop

Manu

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/1028/how-tony-parker-evolves-to-give-spurs-just-what-they-need

Thanks for posting. :toast

sasaint
10-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Tony is doing everything he can and now, in the current market, his contract is by no means an albatross. Nothing really to complain about. :flag:

I have thought about this some, too. I don't think it is a terrible contract this season or (especially) next. Somehow I would like it better, though, if Tony were on Danny's contract and Danny on Tony's. But since neither one will be departing before the end of next season (if then), it really doesn't matter at all. Basically, 24MM for Tony and Danny puts the Spurs ahead of the game. (I just have to laugh at myself and my obsession with symmetry some times. :lol)

TheGreatYacht
10-10-2016, 06:19 PM
:worthy: We are not worthy. We are so blessed to have a pg with veteran leadership like Tony Parker on the team.

TheGreatYacht
10-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Some nice words from Kawhi, tbh he appreciates MVParker. I'm guessing he doesn't read Spurstalk because he supposedly hates him

Amuseddaysleeper
10-10-2016, 06:29 PM
I hate to be that guy, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Tony has talked about a changing role in the past only to ball hog it and become a black hole on offense. He shouldn't be playing more than 20 mpg at this stage of his career.

dabom
10-10-2016, 06:48 PM
:lol

DMC
10-10-2016, 08:13 PM
http://i.imgbox.com/hHooCE9u.gif

This is Pop making the team think for themselves obviously.

JohnnyMax
10-10-2016, 08:14 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Ou18ZgE49Fss0/giphy.gif

dabom
10-10-2016, 08:15 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Ou18ZgE49Fss0/giphy.gif

2016 Warriors. :lol

DMC
10-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Translation: Tony can't get to the rim now and when he can he cannot score. He's too fat and slow to get anything done and hates passing but hates sitting on the bench worse.

Play Boban
10-10-2016, 08:16 PM
16 minutes, 1/6 FG.

DeRozan m8
10-10-2016, 08:43 PM
16 minutes, 1/6 FG.

Yep, Tony is well and truly back smh

TheGreatYacht
10-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Offense looked great when he was running the P&P with Aldridge in the first half tbh.

....Then Kawhi ran PG the whole 3rd quarter and the Spurs scored 14 points

J_Paco
10-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Tony

Kawhi

Pop

Manu

LMAO

All the morons that bash Parker and claim everyone "hates" playing with Tony. Or that the team will actively look to rid itself of him.

LOLOLOL

MaNu4Tres
10-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Like his teammates would say otherwise?

He's evolved into giving the opposing team just what they need.. tbh

His effectiveness is way too inconsistent on offense, while he's in the bottom tier of PGs when it comes to defense.

gambit1990
10-10-2016, 09:58 PM

His effectiveness is way too inconsistent on offense, while he's in the bottom tier of PGs when it comes to defense.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxiyu8Btb1qj3i85.gif

YGWHI
10-11-2016, 12:07 AM
Offense looked great when he was running the P&P with Aldridge in the first half tbh.

At this point of his career, it seems like that's the only think he knows to do well.

But I find so weird that Kawhi became super agrgressive with the ball in his hands when Parker wasn't on the floor...Who knows why that happened.

Just saying that Kawhi parking in the corner while Parker runs P&Rs for 6 minutes a quarter isn't a viable option to win in playoffs.

ElNono
10-11-2016, 12:29 AM
I have nothing to complain so far with Tony, tbh... we'll know more by January on where he's at with this transition...

apalisoc_9
10-11-2016, 12:32 AM

J_Paco
10-11-2016, 10:24 AM

As if older players aren't "exposed" or attacked routinely? It is part of being older and losing ability as you age. Even Manu and Timmy have been victims of being "exactly what the opposing team needs."

No shit, he isn't a starting caliber PG but he's the best option Pop has. He also has willingly taken a backseat to Kawhi and LaMarcus in the offense.

Obviously, as he ages his offense will come more sporadically yet people act like he's a low percentage scorer which is far from the case. He'll need to be hidden on defense once again, but hopefully by next season a worthy successor is around to start, Tony can occupy Manu's role and go against lesser PG's.

I just love when things like this come up cause they fall in the face of the narrative spread around here.

lefty
10-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Gaining weight is not evolving tbh

MaNu4Tres
10-11-2016, 02:55 PM
As if older players aren't "exposed" or attacked routinely? It is part of being older and losing ability as you age. Even Manu and Timmy have been victims of being "exactly what the opposing team needs."

No shit, he isn't a starting caliber PG but he's the best option Pop has. He also has willingly taken a backseat to Kawhi and LaMarcus in the offense.

Obviously, as he ages his offense will come more sporadically yet people act like he's a low percentage scorer which is far from the case. He'll need to be hidden on defense once again, but hopefully by next season a worthy successor is around to start, Tony can occupy Manu's role and go against lesser PG's.

I just love when things like this come up cause they fall in the face of the narrative spread around here.

Tim and Manu were able to be effective still and were/are net positives for the team. They were still in the top of their class on the defensive end, and didn't demand the ball, played efficiently within the offense. If Parker was a top defensive player for his position, you wouldn't see me posting about how he's a net negative. That is not the case though, as he's one of the worst defensive PG's in the entire NBA.

bklynspursfan
10-11-2016, 02:58 PM
At this point of his career, it seems like that's the only think he knows to do well.

But I find so weird that Kawhi became super agrgressive with the ball in his hands when Parker wasn't on the floor...Who knows why that happened.

Just saying that Kawhi parking in the corner while Parker runs P&Rs for 6 minutes a quarter isn't a viable option to win in playoffs.

That's not on TP. Anyway, Kawhi had 10 points in the first quarter, 8 of them came with TP on the court. He had 20 for the game. (nearly half his points came with TP in, in less than a quarter's time) He became super aggressive cause it was him/LMA and a bunch of new guys who couldn't do anything. It was good experience for him to get comfortable being the guy out there.

The transition is gradual, it's not like OK TP, no more of what you do. I don't think it's ever been called by Pop for TP to run a P&R and park Kawhi in the corner. for 1/2 a quarter btw....

Kawhi is handling the ball far more these days. There's just a balance, it's not going to be the same guy with the ball every time. Kawhi/LMA will have it more and rightfully so. We've seen Kawhi grow each year, so there's no reason to think he won't do more with the ball this year, and become more of a facilitator. Just don't expect some instant change 100% of the time.

J_Paco
10-12-2016, 12:34 AM
Tim and Manu were able to be effective still and were/are net positives for the team. They were still in the top of their class on the defensive end, and didn't demand the ball, played efficiently within the offense. If Parker was a top defensive player for his position, you wouldn't see me posting about how he's a net negative. That is not the case though, as he's one of the worst defensive PG's in the entire NBA.

I completely agree that Tony is an albatross on defense, but Parker is playing less, "demanding" the ball less and still remaining efficient on offense. Unfortunately, his defense will continue to suck with his loss of lateral quickness and the team doesn't have a viable option on defense at the PG spot.

His performances won't be as criticized once he is playing a 6th man role, sadly we'll have to wait (hopefully) one more season for that to happen. And, with Parker being such a huge "net negative" the team still manages to win despite that.

MultiTroll
10-12-2016, 01:23 AM
I hate to be that guy, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Tony has talked about a changing role in the past only to ball hog it and become a black hole on offense.
Yep.

Words / actions

MultiTroll
10-12-2016, 01:23 AM

MultiTroll
10-12-2016, 06:12 AM
I completely agree that Tony is an albatross on defense, but Parker is playing less, "demanding" the ball less and still remaining efficient on offense. Unfortunately, his defense will continue to suck with his loss of lateral quickness and the team doesn't have a viable option on defense at the PG spot.

His performances won't be as criticized once he is playing a 6th man role, sadly we'll have to wait (hopefully) one more season for that to happen. And, with Parker being such a huge "net negative" the team still manages to win despite that.
Regular season only.
Playoffs
3-4 in 2015 as Porker shot .363 including 0-9 on treys.
6-4 in 2016 but please, 4 wins vs decimated Memphis Grizzleys. 2-4 when it counted vs OKC.

DMC
10-13-2016, 01:04 PM
Tissot.. that goes for everyone... Tissot

YGWHI
10-13-2016, 10:18 PM
it's not like OK TP, no more of what you do. I don't think it's ever been called by Pop for TP to run a P&R and park Kawhi in the corner. for 1/2 a quarter btw....

For long minutes in a quarter, especially in the first quarters, it was what happened last season.

I'm not saying that Parker shouldn't run it, what I suggest it's mix it up.

Don't freeeze Kawhi or stop running Parker/LMA P&R/Pops for long periods of time, just mix those plays up.

If Kawhi and LMA are our two main scorers like Pop said, give them the same numbers/quality of shots, instead of going to one player half quarter with the other being passive in those minutes.

gambit1990
10-22-2016, 02:32 AM
5 for 13, 3 assists, 4 turnovers :lmao

Robz4000
10-22-2016, 02:55 AM
What I wouldn't give to still have CoJo...

spursistan
10-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Evolving with a team-leading 13 FGA :lol

FkLA
10-22-2016, 06:34 AM
:cry but my role has changed, my job now is to be a leader and help spread the Spurs unselfish culture:cry

Its so weird and fake to hear him talk about unselfishness. It's like when Kirby used to talk about the Lakers needing to play the right way when he was the main culprit for their style of play.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 06:41 AM
Parker took shots he was supposed to take. You can't be a successful faciltator if you pass those up. Bigger problem is that he missed some easy ones.

TheMulletMan3000
10-22-2016, 06:50 AM
I have a suspicion that this thread is going to have above 100 pages until the end of the playoffs.

bklynspursfan
10-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Parker took shots he was supposed to take. You can't be a successful faciltator if you pass those up. Bigger problem is that he missed some easy ones.

Yea, idk what people expect. TP has had some seasons starting slow out the gate, so the misses aren't surprising.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Yea, idk what people expect. TP has had some seasons starting slow out the gate, so the misses aren't surprising.

People don't seem to understand that if teams are going to give Parker those shots and he hits them at a decent percentage, that he'll end up getting the 12-15 ppg the team needs to round out their offense. Leonard and LMA are not 30ppg guys so you need Pau to get like 15, Parker and Anderson to get their 12, Green and Patty to get 10 and Manu to get his 9 or so. Add in the bench bigs, and you get the 115ppg game or so that ends up being 105 once you factor missed games and such. The point is that Parker is never supposed to not score if that's what the defense is giving the team. It all adds up.

apalisoc_9
10-22-2016, 07:37 AM
:cry but my role has changed, my job now is to be a leader and help spread the Spurs unselfish culture:cry

Its so weird and fake to hear him talk about unselfishness. It's like when Kirby used to talk about the Lakers needing to play the right way when he was the main culprit for their style of play.

Yup.

Plus, arguing that those are the kind kf shots he had to take is pretty damn flawed and ridiculous. He had to take those shots, ecause he run sets and made decisions that forced him to take those shots.

Its like running 20 P&R's for himself getting open shots and then arguing it was ok cause it was open...its idiotic because it completely ignores the fact that he run things to maximise his own effectiviness and opportunities...even thoug hes current level is shit.

No one is saying he shouldnt be taking open shots...But continously running sets and plays designed to maximise the his position for scoring is a other way of playing selfish basketball..vwry subtle, but very selfish.

At least hes not Aldrige but still..

kobyz
10-22-2016, 07:49 AM
I don't know what the point in playing the season, if Parker is still your starting pg...

spursistan
10-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Yup.

Plus, arguing that those are the kind kf shots he had to take is pretty damn flawed and ridiculous. He had to take those shots, ecause he run sets and made decisions that forced him to take those shots.

Its like running 20 P&R's for himself getting open shots and then arguing it was ok cause it was open...its idiotic because it completely ignores the fact that he run things to maximise his own effectiviness and opportunities...even thoug hes current level is shit.

No one is saying he shouldnt be taking open shots...But continously running sets and plays designed to maximise the his position for scoring is a other way of playing selfish basketball..vwry subtle, but very selfish.

At least hes not Aldrige but still..

doesn't like he worked on his spot-up shooting (volume 3s) and i've barely seen Kawhi holding the rock and initiating action when they are both on court..same old story :sleep..

J_Paco
10-22-2016, 08:51 AM
doesn't like he worked on his spot-up shooting (volume 3s) and i've barely seen Kawhi holding the rock and initiating action when they are both on court..same old story :sleep..

Kawhi should run more of the offense, but he isn't a point guard or a "point forward" in the vein of Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, LeBron James or Rick Barry. Forcing him to try to create (too much) offense for teammates could be at his detriment. We'll have to see if Pop thinks he is ready for that burden since he is the one calling the shots not "selfish, ballhog" Tony Parker.

Yeah, it just like Bryant since Kobe willingly accepted a secondary role, played less minutes and gave up "the keys to the car" to extend the winning culutre and positive vibes on the team. Oh wait.......

Parker is a flawed player (like all players not named Jordan), but I doubt he believes he can still carry an offense or even needs to. He just needs to remain efficient on offense and somehow not lose the Spurs too many games on defense.

gambit1990
10-22-2016, 01:14 PM
people still making excuses for tp :lol

he finished the preseason 58th in assists.

averaged 3.3 assists and 2 turnovers.

J_Paco
10-22-2016, 02:04 PM
people still making excuses for tp :lol

he finished the preseason 58th in assists.

averaged 3.3 assists and 2 turnovers.

Who the fuck is keeping preseason stats?

You really are a special kind of dumb, man.

MultiTroll
10-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Teams have figured that out so are structuring their defenses to feed him those shots and keep it away from the moneymakers.
Fark even Doc Rivers figured that out in 2015 playoffs. We saw how that turned out.

kaji157
10-22-2016, 02:15 PM

LOL

Chinook
10-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Teams have figured that out so are structuring their defenses to feed him those shots and keep it away from the moneymakers.
Fark even Doc Rivers figured that out in 2015 playoffs. We saw how that turned out.

That has no affect on what he does against teams that don't take those attempts away.

spursistan
10-22-2016, 02:34 PM
YGWHI

gambit1990
10-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Who the fuck is keeping preseason stats?

You really are a special kind of dumb, man.
if parker had good stats people here would be calling him MVParker.

read the title of the thread. you think him having the highest usage rate last night is tony parker evolving to give spurs just what they need?

apalisoc_9
10-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Teams have actually structured their defense in such a way that would take advantage of Parkers inherit selfishness...

Literrly, when he tries to run his offense, it killls Leonard and Aldridge. Its a huge win for them.

The solution is to actually be willing to play offball to negate that plan, but this fag :lmao

Obstructed_View
10-22-2016, 03:51 PM
His passing thus far has not convinced me that he's evolving.

YGWHI
10-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Kawhi should run more of the offense, but he isn't a point guard or a "point forward" in the vein of Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, LeBron James or Rick Barry.
No, he isn't. But he draws the defensive attention way more than Parker, that means there are a lot of good/better opportunities for others with him running it than with Parker.

Anyway, like I've said before, the biggest issue is the way that Kawhi plays with Parker compare to him with Patty/Manu.

When Parker has the ball, he isn't looking for Kawhi because he's a point guard who has fed his whole career a big man like Duncan, now he does the same with LMA/Pau because he doesn't incorporate the two-man game with a wing like Westbrook.

When Patty/Manu have the ball, Kawhi's more aggressive, even if he's not running the offense. But it's likely he also runs it with Patty/Manu on the court.

Folks said in playoffs 'but but why Kawhi isn't more aggressive, why he isn't taking over this game'...It's hard to take over when you doesn't have the ball in your hands and your point-guard is running plays only for him and the bigs, freezing you for long periods of time.

While Parker USG% looks almost identical to Kawhi's, this team won't improve against elite teams.

Pop thinks he is ready for that burden since he is the one calling the shots not "selfish, ballhog" Tony Parker.

In fact, Danny said that the only two who were calling plays until this preseason were Pop AND Parker.

Now, he said Kawhi's slowly starting to...But we already saw that only happened when Parker was on the bench.

YGWHI (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49609)
Sure, only Parker's haters on ST say that he's freezing Kawhi...

Even Michael Wright who covers Spurs for ESPN liked this tweet.

YGWHI
10-23-2016, 10:07 PM
Yea, idk what people expect.

People don't seem to understand...

What people expect is that Parker doesn't take more shots than Kawhi or the same that LMA in a game, because people already understand that if he has high USG% against elite guards/teams, this team is f*cked.

10-23-2016, 10:14 PM
How is Parker even going to be playable against the Warriors? Now that the Warriors traded in Barnes for Durant, there's no one to hide Parker on. Is he going to go back to guarding Curry? Curry will torch Parker.

bklynspursfan
10-23-2016, 10:31 PM
What people expect is that Parker doesn't take more shots than Kawhi or the same that LMA in a game, because people already understand that if he has high USG% against elite guards/teams, this team is f*cked.

Every game is different. And it's his job to play within the flow of the game.. if defense are being played in a way to slow Kawhi or LMA and Parker has open shots, should he not take them? With those guys. Parker will get more open shots... its why having those guys should help other guys get open looks.

It won't be an every night thing. But there may be a handful of games in the season where TP has a high usg and/or more shots. He's not like he's out there just chucking up shots either, like terrible shots. Don't let a box score tell you the story. But if he keeps getting open shots out the post, or teams are giving him that mid range shot, Pop would be pissed if TP didn't try to capitalize

YGWHI
10-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Every game is different. And it's his job to play within the flow of the game.. if defense are being played in a way to slow Kawhi or LMA and Parker has open shots, should he not take them? With those guys. Parker will get more open shots... its why having those guys should help other guys get open looks.

It won't be an every night thing. But there may be a handful of games in the season where TP has a high usg and/or more shots. He's not like he's out there just chucking up shots either, like terrible shots. Don't let a box score tell you the story. But if he keeps getting open shots out the post, or teams are giving him that mid range shot, Pop would be pissed if TP didn't try to capitalize

Well, the issue is he will hit those shots only against below-average teams in the regular season.

I'd rather prepare this team for playoffs running with my main scorers in the regular season, instead of giving shots a guy who won't make them in playoffs.

Clipper Nation
10-23-2016, 10:56 PM
:lol Can't believe people still fall for this shit every year from Porker. Before the season begins, it's "I'm evolving to become more unselfish," then the games start and he's right back to the same old hogging and chucking.

apalisoc_9
10-23-2016, 10:59 PM
How is Parker even going to be playable against the Warriors? Now that the Warriors traded in Barnes for Durant, there's no one to hide Parker on. Is he going to go back to guarding Curry? Curry will torch Parker.

Yup....Warriors in 4. Only way is if Pop Grows a ball and benches his ass.

TimDunkem
10-23-2016, 11:11 PM
I think Parker should be benched but I fear we would have too many ball-handlers on the bench. Kyle might be rendered even more useless than he already is.

Clipper Nation
10-23-2016, 11:25 PM
Porker is like an addict who swears he could quit cold turkey at any time. At some point, you have to quit believing him and make him go to rehab (the bench).

apalisoc_9
10-23-2016, 11:26 PM
Porker is like an addict who swears he could quit cold turkey at any time. At some point, you have to quit believing him and make him go to rehab (the bench).

bklynspursfan
10-24-2016, 06:51 AM
Well, the issue is he will hit those shots only against below-average teams in the regular season.

I'd rather prepare this team for playoffs running with my main scorers in the regular season, instead of giving shots a guy who won't make them in playoffs.

That's just not true... he's done well in the playoffs and against above average teams. People on here just like to emphasize the negative with TP.

There are other guys who struggled in the playoffs ya know, including Kawhi and LMA. Sorry, but you can't blame that on TP.

Hoops Czar
10-24-2016, 12:17 PM

As opposed to Paddy and Forbes? :lmao

TheGreatYacht
10-24-2016, 12:20 PM

10-24-2016, 01:33 PM
Should work on your reading comprehension. I never said anyone on the bench was a better alternative. The Spurs are fucked at the PG spot.

Seventyniner
10-24-2016, 01:53 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01/splits/2016

Parker's USG% against 50+ win opponents last season:

Opponent

Games
USG%

Gm 1

Gm 2

Gm 3

Gm 4

Golden State

20.8 (L)

16.1 (W)

23.6 (L)

11.9 (L)

Oklahoma City

21.6 (L)

13.7 (W)

21.8 (W)

Cleveland

27.6 (W)

30.3 (L)

LA Clippers

24.6 (W)

26.3 (L)*

13.9 (W)

Toronto

12.3 (L)

21.3 (W)

* Kawhi Leonard DNP

His overall season average was 21.2, lowest since his rookie season. 21.6 in wins and 20.2 in losses.

The numbers are mixed here, there are 2 high usage wins, 3 high usage losses, 2 medium usage wins, 2 medium usage losses, 3 low usage wins, 2 low usage losses. I can't see any real correlation between Parker's USG% and the Spurs' performance against the best teams in the league.

lefty
10-24-2016, 01:57 PM
No, he isn't. But he draws the defensive attention way more than Parker, that means there are a lot of good/better opportunities for others with him running it than with Parker.

Anyway, like I've said before, the biggest issue is the way that Kawhi plays with Parker compare to him with Patty/Manu.

When Parker has the ball, he isn't looking for Kawhi because he's a point guard who has fed his whole career a big man like Duncan, now he does the same with LMA/Pau because he doesn't incorporate the two-man game with a wing like Westbrook.

When Patty/Manu have the ball, Kawhi's more aggressive, even if he's not running the offense. But it's likely he also runs it with Patty/Manu on the court.

Folks said in playoffs 'but but why Kawhi isn't more aggressive, why he isn't taking over this game'...It's hard to take over when you doesn't have the ball in your hands and your point-guard is running plays only for him and the bigs, freezing you for long periods of time.

While Parker USG% looks almost identical to Kawhi's, this team won't improve against elite teams.

In fact, Danny said that the only two who were calling plays until this preseason were Pop AND Parker.

Now, he said Kawhi's slowly starting to...But we already saw that only happened when Parker was on the bench.

Sure, only Parker's haters on ST say that he's freezing Kawhi...

Even Michael Wright who covers Spurs for ESPN liked this tweet.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/oooh.gif

J_Paco
10-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Should work on your reading comprehension. I never said anyone on the bench was a better alternative. The Spurs are fucked at the PG spot.

Then just say that because none if the four PG's on the roster, although I don't consider Murray a PG, is capable of defending the elite PG's of the NBA.

Like I said earlier, Pop is making the best of what he has and Tony is the most suited to start. Gotta hope that him, Patty and co. can hold it down and play well enough on offense to negate their subpar (or worse) defense.

And I think people are taking this "evolving" thing too literal because he isn't going to magically become Steve Nash, Jason Kidd or Chris Paul. He can facilitate within the offense, get people good looks in their desired spots and chip in on offense a solid 10 - 15 points. I just hope he paces himself better and doesn't have a second half free fall for the 3rd or 4th year in a row.

All the mileage on his legs and more Summer basketball makes that very, very unlikely, though.

bklynspursfan
10-24-2016, 02:10 PM

Opponent

Games
USG%

Gm 1

Gm 2

Gm 3

Gm 4

Golden State

20.8 (L)

16.1 (W)

23.6 (L)

11.9 (L)

Oklahoma City

21.6 (L)

13.7 (W)

21.8 (W)

Cleveland

27.6 (W)

30.3 (L)

LA Clippers

24.6 (W)

26.3 (L)*

13.9 (W)

Toronto

12.3 (L)

21.3 (W)

* Kawhi Leonard DNP

His overall season average was 21.2, lowest since his rookie season. 21.6 in wins and 20.2 in losses.

The numbers are mixed here, there are 2 high usage wins, 3 high usage losses, 2 medium usage wins, 2 medium usage losses, 3 low usage wins, 2 low usage losses. I can't see any real correlation between Parker's USG% and the Spurs' performance against the best teams in the league.

Thanks for this... cause there is no real correlation. People will believe what they want and see what they want to fit their agenda

J_Paco
10-24-2016, 02:11 PM

Opponent

Games
USG%

Gm 1

Gm 2

Gm 3

Gm 4

Golden State

20.8 (L)

16.1 (W)

23.6 (L)

11.9 (L)

Oklahoma City

21.6 (L)

13.7 (W)

21.8 (W)

Cleveland

27.6 (W)

30.3 (L)

LA Clippers

24.6 (W)

26.3 (L)*

13.9 (W)

Toronto

12.3 (L)

21.3 (W)

* Kawhi Leonard DNP

Most of what these idiots claim can't be proven by empirical data. Yes, his defense is porous and he isn't nearly the offensive player he once was. Yet, almost everything else they suggest about him (selfish, cancer, hates Kawhi, jealous of so and so, etc.) is drivel they've concocted in their own minds.

Does anyone (with common sense) truly believe that Pop would tolerate ANY PLAYER that attempts to sabotage his team or becomes disruptive to Pop's goals/agenda? What happened to Devin Brown (poor work ethic), Stephen Jackson (poor attitued/unwilling to accept lesser role), DeJuan Blair (poor attitude/work ethic), Ron Mercer (poor attitude) and countless other players that didn't bend to Pop's will?

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 04:35 PM
Most of what these idiots claim can't be proven by empirical data. Yes, his defense is porous and he isn't nearly the offensive player he once was. Yet, almost everything else they suggest about him (selfish, cancer, hates Kawhi, jealous of so and so, etc.) is drivel they've concocted in their own minds.

Does anyone (with common sense) truly believe that Pop would tolerate ANY PLAYER that attempts to sabotage his team or becomes disruptive to Pop's goals/agenda? What happened to Devin Brown (poor work ethic), Stephen Jackson (poor attitued/unwilling to accept lesser role), DeJuan Blair (poor attitude/work ethic), Ron Mercer (poor attitude) and countless other players that didn't bend to Pop's will?

I don't think anyone has much in the way of facts on this whole Parker's ego thing. It's nearly all projected.

Hoops Czar
10-24-2016, 04:39 PM
I don't think anyone has much in the way of facts on this whole Parker's ego thing. It's nearly all projected.

It's really just Parkertards trying to sound smart and edgy. If you put stats in front of them, they retreat pretty quickly.

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 04:54 PM
It's really just Parkertards trying to sound smart and edgy. If you put stats in front of them, they retreat pretty quickly.

It's always going to be somebody. It's a condition more than it is the individual player. I'm gonna go all psychiatrist up in dis mug. If Parker wasn't on the team they'd be making up something about Kyle Anderson....WAIT A MINUTE :wow

RD2191
10-24-2016, 04:57 PM
:lol Can't believe people still fall for this shit every year from Porker. Before the season begins, it's "I'm evolving to become more unselfish," then the games start and he's right back to the same old hogging and chucking.
Truth bomb

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Spurs are in an impossible situation with Parker, unfortunately..

Contrary to what many believe, I think he has accepted his role, for the most part..the reality is that TP is virtually useless without the ball, these days, which makes it essential that he's put in a situation where he must have it in his hands..

If you have Parker on the roster, you need to put him in a position to succeed, which requires a high-usage role..part of it is due to the lack of ball-handlers on the roster, and part of it is due to Kawhi being great without the ball + Aldridge's ability to make spot-up jump shots..TP, despite shooting a high % from 3s in the corners, is not a viable off-ball option, thus requiring an on-ball role to maximize his abilities..

For example, a lot of people criticized him for taking the shots down the stretch in game 5 vs. OKC..however, passing them up would have been foolish, as they continued to go under and give him a mile of empty space..ideally, we didn't want to see him taking all the big shots, but it was a no-brainer with the way OKC was playing him..in this offense, with the current personnel, Parker needs the ball in his hands and will need to shoot as many times as the opposing defense leaves him open, unfortunately..

If you want to argue that the Spurs need an upgrade at PG(especially in today's NBA), I completely agree, Tony should not be starting for a team with title aspirations..in the case of the current roster, though, he needs to continue being aggressive with the ball in his hands and take what the defense gives him, otherwise, he will be completely useless as a bystander..

SASdynasty!
10-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Parker held Curry to the worst shooting game of his career.

Clipper Nation
10-24-2016, 10:23 PM
:lol If Porker was as unselfish as his fluffers claim he is, he wouldn't have to make a statement before every season that he's "becoming unselfish." You'd think after 15 years as an NBA point guard, he'd have learned by now to stop hogging the ball.

FkLA
10-25-2016, 04:13 PM

He's like a little Kobe Jr tbh.

Snaq O'Meal
10-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Parker held Curry to the worst shooting game of his career.

It was Danny Green who harassed Curry, even blocking one of Curry's 3-point attempts.

Parker was destroyed and humiliated by a hobbled Chris Paul. Parker's only contribution is on the offensive end.