PDA

View Full Version : How would you react if some obscure country won the world cup?

apalisoc_9
10-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Would it lessen the pain of losing in the world cup again? Asking this to guys with legit National teams...

Imagine the USA winning the world cup? Some middle eastern team like Saudi Arabia winning.

Algeria winning

Or maybe even a team like Honduras or Senegal..

Man, Imagine lefty with an Algeria win..He'd be so gay he'd turn into an actual gay person...damn the feeling must be increadible.

lefty
10-10-2016, 04:07 PM
:lol yeah we're winning the WC

apalisoc_9
10-10-2016, 04:13 PM
:lol yeah we're winning the WC

I mean think about it bro..dream for a second.

The feeling must be Magical...it would be so crazy...even no fans would be in awe...

Brazil
10-10-2016, 04:42 PM
:lol I'd dislike some obscure country win a WC tbh... I would not mind only after France reaches two :lol

Winning a WC is fucking amazing tbh... a WC changes everything for a fan... look England 50 yeas later and they are still in the discussion even though they have nothing to show after their title

Amuseddaysleeper
10-10-2016, 06:07 PM
If an obscure country won it without resorting to negative tactics and played enticing football unlike the most disastrous Euro in history we were force fed last time, I'd have no issue with it.

lefty
10-10-2016, 09:27 PM
I mean think about it bro..dream for a second.

The feeling must be Magical...it would be so crazy...even no fans would be in awe...

Man

What if Germany and Austria didn't cheat in 82

I'm not saying we would have won the WC

But holy shit we were good :cry

dfens
10-11-2016, 07:30 AM
what is for you guys a no name country?
I can vividly remember turkey, south korea, portugal in semi finals, ghana being close to semifinals ... it's tough to win a world cup sons, if it were that easy we'd have more than a handful of winners. I mean shit big countries haven't still won it : russia(especially the ussr days they were strong tbh), netherlands/belgium/portugal (talent was there), turkey (80 million people sons and a passion for football.. ), usa (340 million people .. ). It's a tough task. I mean even winning it with negative tactics and a shitload of luck would still be respectable imo.

apalisoc_9
10-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Portugal a no name country? Fuck putya here son

lefty
10-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Didnt Africa win the WC in 1998?

dfens
10-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Portugal a no name country? Fuck putya here son

I wasn't saying that, I'm saying that even 2nd tiers at their very historical BEST have a really tough time getting to the finals.

dfens
10-11-2016, 08:53 AM

well if the entire african continent would be united in a single country they'd surely be contenders tbh. Desailly, zidane, viera, henry, thurman, makelele, karambeu, djorkaeff, davids, seedorf, okocha, kanu, song, drogba, boateng .. I mean they'd probably be favorites tbh.

lefty
10-11-2016, 09:48 AM
well if the entire african continent would be united in a single country they'd surely be contenders tbh. Desailly, zidane, viera, henry, thurman, makelele, karambeu, djorkaeff, davids, seedorf, okocha, kanu, song, drogba, boateng .. I mean they'd probably be favorites tbh.
Add Madjer, Milla, Abedi Pele, Belloumi, Assad, Dahleb, Badou Zaki,Yekini, George Weah

Wait... Djorkaeff is African now ? :lol

dfens
10-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Add Madjer, Milla, Abedi Pele, Belloumi, Assad, Dahleb, Badou Zaki,Yekini, George Weah

Wait... Djorkaeff is African now ? :lol

:lol shit ... that's some shit your average german would say tbh .. I'm not that type son.

Anyway, africa has tons of talent, nothing new about it.

quentin_compson
10-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Winning a WC is fucking amazing tbh... a WC changes everything for a fan... look England 50 yeas later and they are still in the discussion even though they have nothing to show after their title

I don't think it's just the fact that they won a title. If they didn't have one of the most famous leagues in world football with a lot of topstars, I doubt people would still be talking about the English national team the way they do.

Brazil
10-11-2016, 02:09 PM
I don't think it's just the fact that they won a title. If they didn't have one of the most famous leagues in world football with a lot of topstars, I doubt people would still be talking about the English national team the way they do.

well I disagree a bit, Spain before his title had a league with topstars and still they were not considered "elite" of football tbh...

spursistan
10-11-2016, 03:15 PM
the late 1990s Nigeria, early 2000s Cameroon/Senegal, mid 2000s Ivory Coast were quite talented teams that could have semifinaled at least, but as with African monkeyballers they lacked discipline and were poorly coached...Weak era for African soccer compared to those days..

10-11-2016, 06:37 PM
As long as misty doesn't ring

10-11-2016, 06:37 PM
:lol tbh

dunkman
10-12-2016, 10:08 AM
No one believed France would ever win a Mundial, until they did. Same for Spain. So history tells that given enough time, constantly good teams will win it.

That being said, good teams come from Europe and South America only. Mexico or the US should qualify in the SA region to improve. Once they arrive to the WC the jump in quality is too much, same for teams from Africa, Asia and Oceania. Not even hosting the Mundial can help, South Korea robbed Spain and Italy to advance into semi-finals, they had no business being there.

Phenomanul
10-17-2016, 01:54 PM
No one believed France would ever win a Mundial, until they did. Same for Spain. So history tells that given enough time, constantly good teams will win it.

That being said, good teams come from Europe and South America only. Mexico or the US should qualify in the SA region to improve. Once they arrive to the WC the jump in quality is too much, same for teams from Africa, Asia and Oceania. Not even hosting the Mundial can help, South Korea robbed Spain and Italy to advance into semi-finals, they had no business being there.

The jump in quality is too much? Mexico has reached at least the 2nd round of every WC since 1986 (not including the 1990 WC they were banned from because some kid lied on his birth certificate at the U19 ranks - much to peak Hugo Sanchez's lament).

In the 2nd round they've lost to:

Germany: 1986 (finalist), 1998 (quarter-finalist)
Argentina: 2006 (quarter-finalist), 2010 (quarter-finalist)
Netherlands: 2014 (semi-finalist)
Bulgaria: 1994 (semi-finalist)
USA: 2002 (quarter-finalist)

In other words, the only toss up game there was the loss against the USA in 2002 (and it was against another CONCACAF foe).

Mexico 1986:
Mexico 2 - 1 Belgium
Mexico 1 - 1 Paraguay
Mexico 1 - 0 Iraq
Mexico 2 - 0 Bulgaria
Mexico 1(0) - 4(0) West Germany

USA 1994:
Mexico 0 - 1 Norway
Mexico 2 - 1 Republic of Ireland
Mexico 1 - 1 Italy
Mexico 1(1) - 3(1) Bulgaria

France 1998:
Mexico 3 - 1 South Korea
Mexico 2 - 2 Belgium
Mexico 2 - 2 Netherlands
Mexico 1 - 2 Germany

Korea/Japan 2002:
Mexico 1 - 0 Croatia
Mexico 2 - 1 Ecuador
Mexico 1 - 1 Italy
Mexico 0 - 2 USA

Germany 2006:
Mexico 3 - 1 Iran
Mexico 0 - 0 Angola
Mexico 1 - 2 Portugal
Mexico 1 - 2 Argentina

South Africa 2010:
Mexico 1 - 1 South Africa
Mexico 2 - 0 France
Mexico 0 - 1 Uruguay
Mexico 1 - 3 Argentina

Brazil 2014:
Mexico 1 - 0 Cameroon
Mexico 0 - 0 Brazil
Mexico 3 - 1 Croatia
Mexico 1 - 2 Netherlands

Mexico vs. UEFA opponents:
W - D - L
6 - 4 - 6

Mexico vs. CONMEBOL opponents:
W - D - L
1 - 2 - 3

Mexico vs. cAF opponents:
W - D - L
1 - 2 - 0

Mexico vs. AFC opponents:
W - D - L
3 - 0 - 0

Mexico vs. cONCACAF opponents:
W - D - L
0 - 0 - 1

Mexico has the talent and the level to compete. They're consistently a Top 15 footballing nation.

dfens
10-18-2016, 07:01 AM
The jump in quality is too much? Mexico has reached at least the 2nd round of every WC since 1986 (not including the 1990 WC they were banned from because some kid lied on his birth certificate at the U19 ranks - much to peak Hugo Sanchez's lament).

In the 2nd round they've lost to:

Germany: 1986 (finalist), 1998 (quarter-finalist)
Argentina: 2006 (quarter-finalist), 2010 (quarter-finalist)
Netherlands: 2014 (semi-finalist)
Bulgaria: 1994 (semi-finalist)
USA: 2002 (quarter-finalist)

In other words, the only toss up game there was the loss against the USA in 2002 (and it was against another CONCACAF foe).

Mexico 1986:
Mexico 2 - 1 Belgium
Mexico 1 - 1 Paraguay
Mexico 1 - 0 Iraq
Mexico 2 - 0 Bulgaria
Mexico 1(0) - 4(0) West Germany

USA 1994:
Mexico 0 - 1 Norway
Mexico 2 - 1 Republic of Ireland
Mexico 1 - 1 Italy
Mexico 1(1) - 3(1) Bulgaria

France 1998:
Mexico 3 - 1 South Korea
Mexico 2 - 2 Belgium
Mexico 2 - 2 Netherlands
Mexico 1 - 2 Germany

Korea/Japan 2002:
Mexico 1 - 0 Croatia
Mexico 2 - 1 Ecuador
Mexico 1 - 1 Italy
Mexico 0 - 2 USA

Germany 2006:
Mexico 3 - 1 Iran
Mexico 0 - 0 Angola
Mexico 1 - 2 Portugal
Mexico 1 - 2 Argentina

South Africa 2010:
Mexico 1 - 1 South Africa
Mexico 2 - 0 France
Mexico 0 - 1 Uruguay
Mexico 1 - 3 Argentina

Brazil 2014:
Mexico 1 - 0 Cameroon
Mexico 0 - 0 Brazil
Mexico 3 - 1 Croatia
Mexico 1 - 2 Netherlands

Mexico vs. UEFA opponents:
W - D - L
6 - 4 - 6

Mexico vs. CONMEBOL opponents:
W - D - L
1 - 2 - 3

Mexico vs. cAF opponents:
W - D - L
1 - 2 - 0

Mexico vs. AFC opponents:
W - D - L
3 - 0 - 0

Mexico vs. cONCACAF opponents:
W - D - L
0 - 0 - 1

Mexico has the talent and the level to compete. They're consistently a Top 15 footballing nation.

I hate to break it to you but there is a pretty large list of countries which i'd take over mexico:

tier 1:
besides the contenders who rang:
brazil, germany, france, italy, spain (all rang in the last 15-20 years)
argentina, (lost finals, >>> mexico)

tier 2:
netherlands, (lost finals, >> mexico)
uruguay (semi finals, > mexico)
portugal (semi finals, > mexico)
chile (quarters, > mexico)
belgium (quarters, >mexico )

tier 3 (mexico tier)
england (quarters but they'll always have some talent and are athletic)
ghana (quartes, an inch away from semis, strong team)
south korea (cheating etc etc but still semi finals is semi finals)
turkey (semi finals, they've declined a bit in the last 5 years but they have talent)
croatia/poland (they have talent but a tendency to implode, just like mexico)
usa (same wc/copa results, h2h results)

so we have 11 better teams and 7 same level teams ... imo it's quite a stretch for mexico to win a world cup, they'll have to beat at least a same level team and 2 clearly better teams while doing well in the rest of the matches. That's a weak statistical chance tbh and there aren't that many chances ( world cups)... also regarding mexico I STRONGLY think they won't win a world cup in the foreseeable future because they are an inconsistent team, you don't win world cups without consistency (something mexico clearly lacks). They also lack patience and that's why they get blown out/meltdown on a regular basis .. you can't win a world cup if you are prone to this.

Phenomanul
10-18-2016, 05:13 PM
I hate to break it to you but there is a pretty large list of countries which i'd take over mexico:

tier 1:
besides the contenders who rang:
brazil, germany, france, italy, spain (all rang in the last 15-20 years)
argentina, (lost finals, >>> mexico)

tier 2:
netherlands, (lost finals, >> mexico)
uruguay (semi finals, > mexico)
portugal (semi finals, > mexico)
chile (quarters, > mexico)
belgium (quarters, >mexico )

tier 3 (mexico tier)
england (quarters but they'll always have some talent and are athletic)
ghana (quartes, an inch away from semis, strong team)
south korea (cheating etc etc but still semi finals is semi finals)
turkey (semi finals, they've declined a bit in the last 5 years but they have talent)
croatia/poland (they have talent but a tendency to implode, just like mexico)
usa (same wc/copa results, h2h results)

so we have 11 better teams and 7 same level teams ... imo it's quite a stretch for mexico to win a world cup, they'll have to beat at least a same level team and 2 clearly better teams while doing well in the rest of the matches. That's a weak statistical chance tbh and there aren't that many chances ( world cups)... also regarding mexico I STRONGLY think they won't win a world cup in the foreseeable future because they are an inconsistent team, you don't win world cups without consistency (something mexico clearly lacks). They also lack patience and that's why they get blown out/meltdown on a regular basis .. you can't win a world cup if you are prone to this.

It takes a bit of luck too... Mexico just hasn't had it.

They've got the talent, but as of yet don't have the mental fortitude...

Also, the point of my rebuttal was to show that Mexico consistently belongs in the Worldwide Top 16 - proven by where they've placed over the past 30 years in WC tournaments. There is no big chasm between them and the teams in the other confederations... just the same chasm that exists between the perennially elite and the rest of the nations.

DAF86
10-19-2016, 01:18 PM
My current rankings:

1-Germany
2-Argentina (thanks to GOD)
3-Brazil (under Tite)
4-France
5-Chile
6-Spain
7-Uruguay
8-Colombia
9-Belgium
10-Portugal
11-Mexico
12-England
13-Croatia
14-Italy
15-Ecuador

Jodelo
10-19-2016, 03:11 PM

Correct. That was the result from the last few tournaments, thanks to Messi of course for not getting over the hump.

DAF86
10-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Correct. That was the result from the last few tournaments, thanks to Messi of course for not getting over the hump.

Salty about every knowledgeable fan recognizing Messi >>> Zidane.

Jodelo
10-19-2016, 03:25 PM

One has led his team to glory...

dfens
10-19-2016, 03:26 PM

son i've got zidane over messi. and saying messi >>> zidane is just :lol

Jodelo
10-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Now that's a good post.

DAF86
10-19-2016, 03:34 PM

That's why I said every knowledgeable fan.

10-19-2016, 03:36 PM

truthnukes tbh

DAF86
10-19-2016, 03:43 PM
I remember back in the days calling Zidane "bergkamp with a WC". Some folks tried to laugh at me. I guess Henry feels the same way.

https://www.google.com.ar/amp/s/amp.ibtimes.co.uk/arsenal-legend-thierry-henry-calls-dennis-bergkamp-his-best-team-mate-ever-lionel-messi-not-1536610?client=ms-alps-full_s5222-ar

The best players I played with? I always say Dennis Bergkamp."

"Bergkamp because of the years that he did it, and for all what he did. But I say Dennis because he was human. That's why. Leo, sometimes, I think, really seriously, I ask myself if he is human."

I wonder where's Zidane in this argument.

apalisoc_9
10-20-2016, 01:16 AM
I remember back in the days calling Zidane "bergkamp with a WC". Some folks tried to laugh at me. I guess Henry feels the same way.

https://www.google.com.ar/amp/s/amp.ibtimes.co.uk/arsenal-legend-thierry-henry-calls-dennis-bergkamp-his-best-team-mate-ever-lionel-messi-not-1536610?client=ms-alps-full_s5222-ar

The Algerian took way too much credit for 98..France had a collection of awesome players during zidane time..They dont get as much credit or at least the credit they deserve.

dfens
10-20-2016, 12:42 PM

the fuck did I just read here son?
is the fear of argentina missing the world cups gotten to you son? are argie resorting to drugs these days to keep their hopes up?
bergkamp son? :lmao:lmao

why stop at bergkamp and not go all the way and say that zidane is a sharia abiding african with a wc? :lmao

that french lockeroom probably put a fairy congregation to shame, of course the fruity nigga henry says that the best teammate he ever had was the one that bend him over properly :lmao It took a man of iron will like zidane to put these dick loving niggas to work.

DAF86
10-20-2016, 12:53 PM
The Algerian took way too much credit for 98..France had a collection of awesome players during zidane time..They dont get as much credit or at least the credit they deserve.

Whoever thinks Zidane is even in the GOAT discussion, should get a lobotomy, tbh.

dfens
10-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Whoever thinks Zidane is even in the GOAT discussion, should get a lobotomy, tbh.

come on son, is the goat really a choking trophyless midget that gets outshined by an obvious faggot and is pro cucks while keeping his NT coach hostage because dimaria/aguero/other fags are my friends :(:(? :lol I mean damn, putting it this way it really says a lot. I bet you what you want that if zidane played for argentina instead of misty you'd have a NT trophy right now. No if buts and maybes. Zidane dragged a '06 team through some SERIOUS competition, 4 contender level teams, misty hasn't beaten ONE MOTHERFUCKING tournament conteder in his life son. NOT ONE. Not brasil when they were hot, they anally probed him in front of his country in '07, not a bland germany (let's be honest, we aren't that rich in talent, we should've lost to argentina more than once tbh), not even a 2nd tier team like chile. I mean messi can't win a fucking copa america in the same time bra7il put out some janitor teams tbh:lmao

Shit, give me a barcelona jersey and I'll have some trophies too, here's a HOF entry for me:
3 time UCL winner
6 Spanish Primera
3 Copa del Reys
d-motherfucking-fens, a bench rider who went schumacher style on a nigga because coach enrique told him so. Barcelona legend tbh.

winning trophies in a 2/3-team primera and 4-5-6 team ucl is NOTHING compared to national trophies, especially when argentina ALWAYS has talent. That's why misty simply can't be the goat, he is too much of a beta cuckolded sissy to even tell that faggot di maria to take a shit on the bench, or to go to the argie federation and demand a sane coach. He is content to cuck around surrounded by tons of talent at barcelona and just statpadding at the NT. Hate to say it but diego was a better man, with all the coke / drinking / whatever, he cared more. Misty is just a millenial version with comparable talent but no fucking heart. Just a house nigga tbh.

what a meltdown tbh.

10-20-2016, 07:02 PM
come on son, is the goat really a choking trophyless midget that gets outshined by an obvious faggot and is pro cucks while keeping his NT coach hostage because dimaria/aguero/other fags are my friends :(:(? :lol I mean damn, putting it this way it really says a lot. I bet you what you want that if zidane played for argentina instead of misty you'd have a NT trophy right now. No if buts and maybes. Zidane dragged a '06 team through some SERIOUS competition, 4 contender level teams, misty hasn't beaten ONE MOTHERFUCKING tournament conteder in his life son. NOT ONE. Not brasil when they were hot, they anally probed him in front of his country in '07, not a bland germany (let's be honest, we aren't that rich in talent, we should've lost to argentina more than once tbh), not even a 2nd tier team like chile. I mean messi can't win a fucking copa america in the same time bra7il put out some janitor teams tbh:lmao

Shit, give me a barcelona jersey and I'll have some trophies too, here's a HOF entry for me:
3 time UCL winner
6 Spanish Primera
3 Copa del Reys
d-motherfucking-fens, a bench rider who went schumacher style on a nigga because coach enrique told him so. Barcelona legend tbh.

winning trophies in a 2/3-team primera and 4-5-6 team ucl is NOTHING compared to national trophies, especially when argentina ALWAYS has talent. That's why misty simply can't be the goat, he is too much of a beta cuckolded sissy to even tell that faggot di maria to take a shit on the bench, or to go to the argie federation and demand a sane coach. He is content to cuck around surrounded by tons of talent at barcelona and just statpadding at the NT. Hate to say it but diego was a better man, with all the coke / drinking / whatever, he cared more. Misty is just a millenial version with comparable talent but no fucking heart. Just a house nigga tbh.

what a meltdown tbh.
:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

DAF86
10-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Not reading all that shit, but I found it funny that it finishes "what a meltdown" after writing a wall of words. :lol

dfens
10-21-2016, 05:40 AM
Not reading all that shit, but I found it funny that it finishes "what a meltdown" after writing a wall of words. :lol

I knew somebody would have fun with that tbh :lol

dunkman
10-23-2016, 10:10 PM
My current rankings:

1-Germany
3-Brazil (under Tite)
4-France
5-Chile
6-Spain
7-Uruguay
8-Colombia
9-Belgium
10-Portugal
11-Mexico
12-England
13-Croatia
14-Italy
15-Ecuador

Don't know, the Italians tend to be very dangerous in knockout rounds and always have talented players at any positions.

DAF86
10-23-2016, 11:14 PM
Don't know, the Italians tend to be very dangerous in knockout rounds and always have talented players at any positions.

Problem with them is that they don't get that far. :lol

And no, they don't have any talent upfront right now.

apalisoc_9
10-23-2016, 11:34 PM
About 15 days left for the next matchday..If Argentina loses and gets leap frogges by Paraguay :lol

Edit: thought this was the qualifiers thread :lol

dfens
10-25-2016, 05:25 AM
About 15 days left for the next matchday..If Argentina loses and gets leap frogges by Paraguay :lol

Edit: thought this was the qualifiers thread :lol

we got this thread http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263728 son tbh.