PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe's 30 crazy predictions for the 2016-17 NBA Season

Chinook
10-12-2016, 12:09 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17734638/30-crazy-predictions-2016-17-nba-season-zach-lowe

Spurs related:

7. The Clippers, not the Spurs, will be the No. 2 seed in the West

It's ridiculous to worry about the Spurs. Their defense can survive without Tim Duncan; they allowed 98.6 points per 100 possessions when Duncan sat last season, a mark that would have led the entire stinking league. They beat younger, stupider teams just by making the proper play every time on both ends.

But I'm a little worried about the Spurs. Their defense and rebounding should take a hit with Pau Gasol sliding into Duncan's starting spot alongside LaMarcus Aldridge. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are a combined 73 years old, and San Antonio didn't add anyone to soak up some pick-and-roll duty. (Scouts love Dejounte Murray, but it's hard to see him playing much as a rookie.)

The Clippers know exactly who they are, they score like hell, and they don't beat themselves (until the second round). Their annual collection of Doc Rivers Bargain Bin Veterans looks friskier than usual.

We love to mock the Clippers, but they are awesome.

9. LaMarcus Aldridge's name will surface in trade talks

The Spurs are self-aware. I have a hunch they know this is something of a placeholder season, and that without some injury luck swinging their way at the right time, they are a tier below Golden State. Aldridge is 31, six years older than Kawhi Leonard, and his trade value will never be higher; he can opt out of his contract after the 2017-18 season.

The Spurs will see if this team outperforms expectations. If it doesn't, they should take calls on Aldridge. He's really good, and there are a lot of impatient owners chasing immediate gratification. If opportunism meets desperation, the Spurs could fleece some rival and restock with a bundle of assets that better line up with Leonard's timetable.

The Lakers have a ton of young talent, and top decision-makers clinging to jobs. Aldridge almost signed in Phoenix, and Robert Sarver, the Suns owner, is dying to get back to the playoffs. They have a stockpile of prospects stuck behind fogies and mid-career guys, plus those extra Miami picks. Dallas and Houston will always look, even with Dirk Nowitzki and Ryan Anderson slotted into Aldridge's nominal position (and not much to trade beyond future picks). Maybe Toronto goes all-in. Maybe the Oklahoma City reloads.

The odds are against any deal happening. Signing Gasol to a two-year deal (with a player option for 2017-18) is something of an all-in move, and even if Gasol opts out after this season, the Aldridge-Leonard combo is a shiny lure for free agents. But if the season unfolds the wrong way, here's betting the Spurs at least listen.

10. Kawhi Leonard three-peats as Defensive Player of the Year

There are other candidates, including Draymond Green, a revived Anthony Davis and the French Rejection in Utah. But Davis and Gobert have never sustained peak defense over a full season. Leonard has been engulfing his prey every night for years; it's folly to bet on anyone overtaking him.

If Leonard wins, he will tie Dwight Howard for the second-most defensive player of the year trophies -- trailing only Dikembe Mutombo and Ben Wallace, who have four each. Remember when wings and guards couldn't win this award? Leonard may be on track to win it more than anyone, ever.

Really starting to detest Lowe's opinions.

HarlemHeat37
10-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Man, I would literally cry tears of joy if the Spurs traded Aldridge's soft ass, tbh..

Chinook
10-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Man, I would literally cry tears of joy if the Spurs traded Aldridge's soft ass, tbh..

Only way that happens is if he asks for it. He's not Blake; his game should age well enough to where he has another five years of starting-level play in him.

mo7888
10-12-2016, 12:30 PM
I think he's discounting the age of the Clippers. On the LA thing, I'm sure there are trades that will be there but, a whole lot of things have to go bad for that to be a real consideration. I agree that GS is the team that should come out of the West but, when their top 2 players have an injury history there's a reason to think grinding out a season focused on developing players for the playoffs is the smart move here for the Spurs.

SAGirl
10-12-2016, 01:23 PM
The LMA talk flies in the face of how Pop started the season, specifically placing the burden on him and Kiwi.
Yea, Lowe has been very off lately, he's throwing shit out there and seeing what sticks. :lol The key phrase for the idea was:

If opportunism meets desperation

At what point does he think Pop faces desperation and presses the panic button? lol Never. If anything, I don't think Pop stuck around after Tim in his own twilight years to face a rebuild. I think he's probably aging a couple of seasons right this second just having to coach so many rookies at once, and having probably his youngest bench in a long time (am I right, I might exaggerate)... specially if you assign a proportion of minutes to Ginobili and account for who in reality is going to be playing the majority of the bench minutes. I can see Pop's vein pumping at that thought. :lol

Then Lowe says:
The odds are against any deal happening.

Basically an admission that he's throwing shit against a wall.

To which I say... aw well dude, thanks for the laugh.

lefty
10-12-2016, 01:38 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjHJ9aDwVqajtRFS/giphy.gif

apalisoc_9
10-12-2016, 01:42 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17734638/30-crazy-predictions-2016-17-nba-season-zach-lowe

Spurs related:

Its called crazy prediction for a reason...

baseline bum
10-12-2016, 01:49 PM
I don't know what's crazy about #7, that's an easy call to make putting the Clippers at the two seed with how horrendous the Parker-Gasol pick and roll defense is going to be.

Chinook
10-12-2016, 02:03 PM

That reason is so you don't have to own it if you're wrong, not because you don't believe it's possible. They're wild guesses, but they're still his guesses.

gambit1990
10-12-2016, 02:10 PM
imagine how we feel about yours.

gambit1990
10-12-2016, 02:12 PM
seriously. leave it to chinook and sagirl to not understand the concept of a "crazy prediction".

they're acting like the title says "30 things that will or might happen".

from the beginning of the article:

As usual, we throw darts at issues both huge and teensy. Some of these calls are so ultra-specific, the odds of them actually happening are miniscule. There's no fun in safety.

Chinook
10-12-2016, 02:14 PM
imagine how we feel about yours.

It's rather pathetic how you've turned into such a blubbering wuss recently.

Chinook
10-12-2016, 02:17 PM
seriously. leave it to chinook and sagirl to not understand the concept of a "crazy prediction".

they're acting like the title says "30 things that will or might happen".

from the beginning of the article:

:lol That doesn't absolve anybody. Like if I said, "My crazy prediction is that Trump will be our next president." And then said, "But I actually believe Hilary will be the next president," then you just contradicted yourself. Crazy predictions are betting on long-shots; they aren't you not believing in the long-shots.

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2016, 02:24 PM
I don't know what's crazy about #7, that's an easy call to make putting the Clippers at the two seed with how horrendous the Parker-Gasol pick and roll defense is going to be.

We can all hope for the best, but the reality is, this team won't be able to gain any ground on the Warriors until Gasol and Parker are gone.

I've said it before, I wish they would have went a different route this past summer.

baseline bum
10-12-2016, 02:29 PM
We can all hope for the best, but the reality is, this team won't be able to gain any ground on the Warriors until Gasol and Parker are gone.

I've said it before, I wish they would have went a different route this past summer.

I'm alright with it, they should still win 55 games and be a lot of fun to watch. The first goal of ownership is to put a team on the floor that is going to sell tickets and draw TV ratings. And besides, the core of the team is way too good to tank with Leonard, Aldridge, and Green. And the free agent pickings were very slim after Gasol once Durant went west. There weren't many other viable routes the team could have gone. No way I wanted them throwing a max contract at Conley or $18 million a year at someone like Bazemore, as this year was such an overwhelming sellers' market in free agency.

tonight...you
10-12-2016, 02:30 PM

I must have missed it. What route would you have wanted them to take?

gambit1990
10-12-2016, 02:40 PM
gonna try to start calling out chinook less so i don't have to deal with reading his shitty replies.

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2016, 02:46 PM
. The first goal of ownership is to put a team on the floor that is going to sell tickets and draw TV ratings. And besides, the core of the team is way too good to tank with Leonard, Aldridge, and Green. .

Where did I say the team should have tanked?

Even without Gasol, the team would have still sold tickets and won 55 games with the a top five player in the league in Leonard, Aldridge, and Green core. I would have went after players that you can build with Leonard, Green, LA for now and the future instead of allocating 16-17 mil on a player that is old, immobile, and not versatile.

Chinook
10-12-2016, 02:46 PM
gonna try to start calling out chinook less so i don't have to deal with reading his shitty replies.

That's fine. When you don't address me, I have no issues with you having takes I disagree with.

RD2191
10-12-2016, 02:51 PM

TBH

BD24
10-12-2016, 02:55 PM
The LMA talk flies in the face of how Pop started the season, specifically placing the burden on him and Kiwi.
Yea, Lowe has been very off lately, he's throwing shit out there and seeing what sticks. :lol The key phrase for the idea was:

At what point does he think Pop faces desperation and presses the panic button? lol Never. If anything, I don't think Pop stuck around after Tim in his own twilight years to face a rebuild. I think he's probably aging a couple of seasons right this second just having to coach so many rookies at once, and having probably his youngest bench in a long time (am I right, I might exaggerate)... specially if you assign a proportion of minutes to Ginobili and account for who in reality is going to be playing the majority of the bench minutes. I can see Pop's vein pumping at that thought. :lol

Then Lowe says:

Basically an admission that he's throwing shit against a wall.

To which I say... aw well dude, thanks for the laugh.
I think he meant the spurs would be opportunistic if some other team was desperate to get Aldrige. Basically saying that someone may make them a fantastic offer that would be hard to turn down.

Thats the way I took it at least, not that the spurs would be desperate.

baseline bum
Where did I say the team should have tanked? Regardless of Gasol, the team would have still sold tickets and won 55 games with the a top five player in the league in Leonard, Aldridge, and Green core. I would have went after players that you can build with Leonard, Green, LA instead of allocating 16-17 mil on a player that is old, immobile, and not versatile.

But there was no one unless you wanted to drastically overpay. This was a horrible free agent market. I wanted the Spurs to make a run at Mozgov until LA Jr offered him $16 million a year. CJ McCollum got $26.5 million a year. Hassan Whiteside $24.5 million a year. Nic Batum $24 million a year. Kent Bazemore $17.5 million a year. Evan Fournier $17 million a year. Solomon Hill $12 million a year. Ryan Anderson $20 million a year. Ian Mahinmi $16 million a year. Harrison Barnes $23.5 million a year. Allen Crabbe $18.75 million a year. I mean these are not good players, they're not difference makers, and they're signed for Kawhi Leonard money after GMs went nuts with the big cap increase. I don't think these kind of contracts are a steady state based on a high cap, I think they're an overreaction to the TV deal kicking in.

Uriel
Lowe also said the Rockets were the top threat to Golden State last season, and that the Spurs would "disappoint," so.....

Chinook
10-12-2016, 02:58 PM
But there was no one unless you wanted to drastically overpay. This was a horrible free agent market. I wanted the Spurs to make a run at Mozgov until LA Jr offered him $16 million a year. CJ McCollum got $26.5 million a year. Hassan Whiteside $24.5 million a year. Nic Batum $24 million a year. Kent Bazemore $17.5 million a year. Evan Fournier $17 million a year. Solomon Hill $12 million a year. Ryan Anderson $20 million a year. Ian Mahinmi $16 million a year. Harrison Barnes $23.5 million a year. Allen Crabbe $18.75 million a year. I mean these are not good players, they're not difference makers, and they're signed for Kawhi Leonard money after GMs went nuts with the big cap increase. I don't think these kind of contracts are a steady state based on a high cap, I think they're an overreaction to the TV deal kicking in.

It is. By 2018, the Spurs will have a pretty clean cap, and those overpaid guys will still be on the books. I had by guys, obviously (Terrance Jones, Eric Gordon, Jared Sullinger) that I wanted to fit into the financial flexibility the team had but it didn't work out. And having Pau for his last good years is great. And this ignores that I completely believe that the Spurs have a legit shot at betting GS. Leonard is looking like he's going to overtake Curry and Durant on the best-player boards this year.

Chinook
10-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Lowe also said the Rockets were the top threat to Golden State last season, and that the Spurs would "disappoint," so.....

Yeah, but those were "crazy predictions" so they don't count. It's hard to hedge more than that.

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2016, 03:01 PM
I must have missed it. What route would you have wanted them to take?

I would have liked it if they pursued Harkless.

His game and confidence turned the corner late last year, and he played well vs. Golden State. Those who actually watched the series can attest to this, but he was confident from three ( avg. 4 attempts a game shooting 35% for the series), played outstanding defense on Draymond, Klay and even Curry on switches. He's versatile enough to put the ball on the floor on close outs and finish inside.

Him being only 23 years old really intrigued me. I thought it was a very good buy low opportunity for a young versatile player with a lot of upside. He can play PF and he can defend four positions. Having him grow with Leonard, and Green for the next 4-5 years would have been outstanding in my eyes. He would have been a big help as soon as this year, especially vs. Golden State, Clippers and any other team really -- especially defensively. I would have offered him 4/44-4/50. I would have then used the remaining space and a player and traded for Taj Gibson. Then still signed Dedmon with the exception.

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2016, 03:07 PM

Those deals had to do with market share. With cap increasing the market share, or % of the cap for "starters" stayed relatively the same. Believe it or not, back in 2003, the Spurs actually payed Rasho more from a cap share perspective than the Lakers paid Mozgov.

Anyways, none of those guys you mentioned were the guys I wanted the Spurs to pursue.

I wish they pursued Harkless very hard right after Evan Turner signed his contract. They didn't, and looked like the Gasol deal was done way before it actually happened. After Harkless, I then would have used the remaining space + filler to help Chicago relieve Taj Gibson off their books. Then signed Dedmon with the exception and Lee for the minimum.

tonight...you
10-12-2016, 03:23 PM

His game and confidence turned the corner late last year, and he played well vs. Golden State. Those who actually watched the series can attest to this, but he was confident from three ( avg. 4 attempts a game shooting 35% for the series), played outstanding defense on Draymond, Klay and even Curry on switches. He's versatile enough to put the ball on the floor on close outs and finish inside.

Him being only 23 years old really intrigued me. I thought it was a very good buy low opportunity for a young versatile player with a lot of upside. He can play PF and he can defend four positions. Having him grow with Leonard, and Green for the next 4-5 years would have been outstanding in my eyes. He would have been a big help as soon as this year, especially vs. Golden State, Clippers and any other team really -- especially defensively. I would have offered him 4/44-4/50. I would have then used the remaining space and a player and traded for Taj Gibson. Then still signed Dedmon with the exception.
Right on. I can see where you're coming from there.

baseline bum
10-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Those deals had to do with market share. With cap increasing the market share, or % of the cap for "starters" stayed relatively the same. Believe it or not, back in 2003, the Spurs actually payed Rasho more from a cap share perspective than the Lakers paid Mozgov.

Anyways, none of those guys you mentioned were the guys I wanted the Spurs to pursue.

I wish they pursued Harkless very hard right after Evan Turner signed his contract. They didn't, and looked like the Gasol deal was done way before it actually happened. After Harkless, I wish I then would have hoped they used the remaining space + filler to help Chicago relieve Taj Gibson off their books. Then signed Dedmon with the exception and Lee for the minimum.

Rasho was a starting caliber player. Mozgov was coming off a wasted season where he lost his spot in the rotation. Of course Rasho should cost more as a percentage of the cap. I don't think those contracts signed this summer are going to look good at all in a year even with the higher cap, this was a horrible year for free agent talent.

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Rasho was a starting caliber player. Mozgov was coming off a wasted season where he lost his spot in the rotation. Of course Rasho should cost more as a percentage of the cap. I don't think those contracts signed this summer are going to look good at all in a year even with the higher cap, this was a horrible year for free agent talent.

I disagree with your Rasho and Mozgov assessment. They are very comparable in regards to being complimentary starting centers -- just different times. Mosgov has been established as a decent complimentary starting caliber center in the league for a while now. And didn't you mention in a few posts above that you wish the Spurs pursued Mozgov to start? But now you're saying he's not a starting center and that Rasho was much better? I'm confused.

wildbill2u
10-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Even if a LMA trade made sense for the Spurs, I wonder about the commitment Pop personally made to him to get him to sign. I truly believe Pop would stick to his word if he told Aldridge he would be in San Antonio for the length of his contract and Aldridge wanted to stay. Spurs have a good reputation for sticking by their word IMHO>That's one reason we are a respected franchise, especially by players.

On the other hand, if LMA expressed a wish to move on, then the Spurs could trade him without breaking their word.

I think it would all depend on LMA.

Spur|n|Austin
10-12-2016, 03:40 PM
It's rather pathetic how you've turned into such a blubbering wuss recently.

Have to agree. I feel like gambit sold his account to xmas or something, it's a strange change.

baseline bum
10-12-2016, 03:41 PM
I disagree with your Rasho and Mozgov assessment. They are very comparable in regards to being complimentary starting centers -- just different times. Mosgov has been established as a decent complimentary starting caliber center in the league for a while now. And didn't you mention in a few posts above that you wish the Spurs pursued Mozgov to start? But now you're saying he's not a starting center and that Rasho was much better? I'm confused.

Mozgov had one year as a good starter and a lot of injury problems since. Nesterovic was an established starter and a much better player at the time. I wanted the Spurs to throw $6 million or so at Mozgov in a bid to pull a guy off the scrap heap and see if he could revive his career. A high risk high reward kind of move.

baseline bum
10-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Even if a LMA trade made sense for the Spurs, I wonder about the commitment Pop personally made to him to get him to sign. I truly believe Pop would stick to his word if he told Aldridge he would be in San Antonio for the length of his contract and Aldridge wanted to stay. Spurs have a good reputation for sticking by their word IMHO>That's one reason we are a respected franchise, especially by players.

On the other hand, if LMA expressed a wish to move on, then the Spurs could trade him without breaking their word.

Yeah, that would be shitty to dump LMA. I don't think Pop & RC would screw over someone like that just on principle, not even counting how bad that would look to future free agents.

dabom
10-12-2016, 03:47 PM

The guy wants to get credibility with his takes but keeps being wrong. Now he hedges all the time on his takes. :lol

BillMc
10-12-2016, 03:51 PM
In this same article he talked about how Bosh could become available at the minimum because of his health situation. It sounds like he'd be unlikely to be playoff eligible but would anyone want to look into that if his Miami divorce becomes complete? Might be something for 2017-18. Or never...

24. Someone signs Chris Bosh for the minimum

The most likely course of action as of now in this murky, sad situation, per sources all around it: The Heat wait until after March 1 to waive Bosh so that he is not eligible to appear in the postseason for any team that signs him. At that point, Bosh's mammoth salary would vanish from Miami's cap sheet, freeing Riley to plop his rings in front of one or two stars this summer.
Bosh wants to play, and some team will absolutely sign him for the minimum -- even if it's just for this season. Bosh is still going to get all of his money from Miami, and suitors will try to coax him into signing through 2017-18.
That is Miami's financial nightmare: The Heat spend a gazillion on free agents this summer, and Bosh plays at least 25 games elsewhere in 2017-18 -- at which point, NBA rules require his salary nestle back atop Miami's cap number. That could send the Heat flying into luxury tax hell. Miami hasn't found a middle ground that would allow it to waive Bosh and proceed with financial certainty. Bosh is under no obligation to provide them with one.
Meanwhile, signing Bosh on the cheap is a no-harm, no-foul move for a team with an open roster spot and the patience for a thorough medical evaluation.

Chinook
10-12-2016, 04:06 PM
In this same article he talked about how Bosh could become available at the minimum because of his health situation. It sounds like he'd be unlikely to be playoff eligible but would anyone want to look into that if his Miami divorce becomes complete? Might be something for 2017-18. Or never...

24. Someone signs Chris Bosh for the minimum

The most likely course of action as of now in this murky, sad situation, per sources all around it: The Heat wait until after March 1 to waive Bosh so that he is not eligible to appear in the postseason for any team that signs him. At that point, Bosh's mammoth salary would vanish from Miami's cap sheet, freeing Riley to plop his rings in front of one or two stars this summer.
Bosh wants to play, and some team will absolutely sign him for the minimum -- even if it's just for this season. Bosh is still going to get all of his money from Miami, and suitors will try to coax him into signing through 2017-18.
That is Miami's financial nightmare: The Heat spend a gazillion on free agents this summer, and Bosh plays at least 25 games elsewhere in 2017-18 -- at which point, NBA rules require his salary nestle back atop Miami's cap number. That could send the Heat flying into luxury tax hell. Miami hasn't found a middle ground that would allow it to waive Bosh and proceed with financial certainty. Bosh is under no obligation to provide them with one.
Meanwhile, signing Bosh on the cheap is a no-harm, no-foul move for a team with an open roster spot and the patience for a thorough medical evaluation.

The word around the street is that the Heat would purposefully screw him over by waiting. Riley's totally lost his touch. I don't think Miami will be a threat for the rest of his time there. I do think he'd have suitors, though. Like, I'd want the Spurs to pick him up, since he'd be like the best third big ever.

BillMc
10-12-2016, 04:49 PM
The word around the street is that the Heat would purposefully screw him over by waiting. Riley's totally lost his touch. I don't think Miami will be a threat for the rest of his time there. I do think he'd have suitors, though. Like, I'd want the Spurs to pick him up, since he'd be like the best third big ever.

You got to wonder how many max A list FAs (as opposed to max B list guys in this salary boom) would sign with Miami given that all 3 of their title-winning Big 3 ended up pissed off at Riles when they left (and going back aways add Shaq into it too.) So in essence their last 4 HOFers all felt disrespected by Riles. (That's not counting washed up Alonzo Mourning and Gary Payton). South Beach and no state taxes will always be a draw but are the Chris Pauls of the world coming there now?

SA would be good for Bosh. He's a Texan, fluent in Spanish, and he's got to respect the Spurs. After all they played the best basketball he'd ever seen.

apalisoc_9
10-12-2016, 04:54 PM
The Spurs wont sign Bosh. Thats a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

His doctors are clearly against him playing, if he does decide to play and worsens his condition in San Antonio..that would be disastrous for himself and the Spurs reputation of ensuring player safety.

BillMc
10-12-2016, 05:00 PM

His doctors are clearly against him playing, if he does decide to play and worsens his condition in San Antonio..that would be disastrous for himself and the Spurs reputation of ensuring player safety.

I would trust SA's doctors to do the ethical thing. And if after a complete analysis they said he could play, then I'd have no objection to him signing. Of course, he might never pass their tests, but if healthy, the man has a right to make a living.

Phenomanul
10-12-2016, 05:01 PM
TJ Ford also wanted to play... Spurs gave him a chance...

TD 21
10-12-2016, 05:37 PM

Yeah, I agree. Should it come to this (it probably won't, particularly within' a year), out of the teams he mentioned, the Suns are the most intriguing. The Lakers wouldn't trade Russell or Ingram and while the Suns wouldn't trade Booker and probably not Bledsoe just because this would be a win-now move, they easily trump them in terms of depth of young and youngish talent, as well as draft picks.

Typical Lowe, who's been anti Spurs for almost 2 years now, but how is picking the Clippers 2nd crazy? The general consensus seems to be that it's 50/50, with the Spurs the slightly better regular season bet and the Clippers the slightly better playoff bet.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2016, 05:44 PM

Pursuing Mozgov as a project makes sense, but expecting him to be a solid starter or throwing major money at him is not wise, particularly for a guy who can score a bit but who is a defensive liability. Rasho was an established starter who started virtually every game from 2001-2005 that he was available to play. He was an extremely good defender, his game meshed perfectly with Duncan's, and he had no health issues. The defense actually improved when Rasho joined the team. Nazr Mohammed took his spot for the '05 title run because he sprained his ankle with five games to go in the regular season.

Chinook
10-12-2016, 05:55 PM

This is getting overblown. The doctors aren't against him playing. They just won't clear him so long as his tests are bad. He's not trying to force them to let him play with clots; he's trying to find a way to get rid of them and not be on blood thinners. So if he gets back on a court, he'll be as safe from falling dead behind a clot as anyone -- hell, probably more safe than anyone really since he'd be getting tested constantly as opposed in routine physicals once a season or whatever it is. The odds might be against him finding a way, but there isn't much of a risk here if he does get signed.

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Pursuing Mozgov as a project makes sense, but expecting him to be a solid starter or throwing major money at him is not wise, particularly for a guy who can score a bit but who is a defensive liability. Rasho was an established starter who started virtually every game from 2001-2005 that he was available to play. He was an extremely good defender, his game meshed perfectly with Duncan's, and he had no health issues. The defense actually improved when Rasho joined the team. Nazr Mohammed took his spot for the '05 title run because he sprained his ankle with five games to go in the regular season.

Not sure what your point is.

Its irrelevant to the point I was making.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Not sure what your point is.

Its irrelevant to the point I was making.

I'll use small words, then: Rasho is way fucking better than Mozgov.

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2016, 08:17 PM
I'll use small words, then: Rasho is way fucking better than Mozgov.

Okay, well, who's better was never an argument. I said they were comparable -- as in being complimentary role playing centers who start. So, the market share of what they get paid compared to the total cap space is comparable for both having that role.

Thanks for chiming with irrelevant garbage though.

Raising the bar, one post at a time.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Okay, well, who's better was never an argument. I said they were comparable -- as in being complimentary role playing centers who start. So, the market share of what they get paid compared to the total cap space is comparable for both having that role.

Thanks for chiming with irrelevant garbage though.

Raising the bar, one post at a time.

Thanks for proving that you think that all big white guys are exactly the same player, then being mad when it's pointed out that they're not.

MaNu4Tres
10-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks for proving that you think that all big white guys are exactly the same player, then being mad when it's pointed out that they're not.

Lol where did this come from. You just won't stop pulling irrelevant garbage out of your ass.

Comparable does not mean "exactly the same".

Work on your comprehension skills.

SAGirl
10-13-2016, 11:34 PM

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-14-2016, 12:34 AM
:lol @ McDonald ass kissing. Spurs aren't trading the one star FA they've managed to attract, unless Kawhi, Tony and Manu all suffer major injuries. LMA has 2 years left, the only chance to trade him would be in his last year in february 2018 if they seem very far away from agreeing on another contract.

Chinook
10-14-2016, 01:57 AM
:lol @ McDonald ass kissing. Spurs aren't trading the one star FA they've managed to attract, unless Kawhi, Tony and Manu all suffer major injuries. LMA has 2 years left, the only chance to trade him would be in his last year in february 2018 if they seem very far away from agreeing on another contract.

I agree with you. What's most annoying is that this prediction is generating its own credibility. So now people are going to think there's something to it because SA people concede the possibility.

I'm trying to open my mind up to this a bit. Would there be a LMA trade that makes sense?

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-14-2016, 02:08 AM
I agree with you. What's most annoying is that this prediction is generating its own credibility. So now people are going to think there's something to it because SA people concede the possibility.

I'm trying to open my mind up to this a bit. Would there be a LMA trade that makes sense?

Blake Griffin?

TheGreatYacht
10-14-2016, 02:22 AM
Why the fuck would we trade our best player, LMA? :lol

Chinook
10-14-2016, 03:30 AM
Guys on RealGM thinks the Spurs should consider it, but that Derrick Favors straight up would the best-case scenario. So I don't think it's even worth the hypothetical.

Robz4000
10-14-2016, 03:34 AM
Guys on RealGM thinks the Spurs should consider it, but that Derrick Favors straight up would the best-case scenario. So I don't think it's even worth the hypothetical.

:lmao Derrick Favors being anywhere near equal value to LMA. Did STdalamon make that post or something?

Chinook
10-14-2016, 03:40 AM
:lmao Derrick Favors being anywhere near equal value to LMA. Did STdalamon make that post or something?

Nope. "Objective" fans who also think Green and Mills for Rubio would be a steal for the Spurs.

Robz4000
10-14-2016, 03:42 AM
Nope. "Objective" fans who also think Green and Mills for Rubio would be a steal for the Spurs.

:lmao link?

Chinook
10-14-2016, 03:45 AM
:lmao link?

It's happened multiple times, but this is the most recent: http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1482406

Robz4000
10-14-2016, 03:51 AM
It's happened multiple times, but this is the most recent: http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1482406

Eh, if the Spurs also get Covington it makes more sense. Still wouldn't do it, but it's not as outlandish as Green and Mills for Rubio alone.

Chinook
10-14-2016, 03:53 AM
Eh, if the Spurs also get Covington it makes more sense. Still wouldn't do it, but it's not as outlandish as Green and Mills for Rubio alone.

Did you read the whole thread? That was considered to be broken value with Covington.

Robz4000
10-14-2016, 04:07 AM
Did you read the whole thread? That was considered to be broken value with Covington.

Nah, I just read the OP. Going through it now though, and boy are there some gems.

:lol the poster who thinks the Spurs have been all offense for six seasons
:lol calling Ricky fucking Rubio a better player than Green, much less "substantially" better

That K_chile22 poster gives some of the Laker fans downstairs a run for worst shitty homerism takes.

Robz4000
10-14-2016, 04:15 AM
Damn, you and Cklbmk shut that Hardon fuck down quick. Good work.

Chinook
10-14-2016, 04:55 AM
Here's the thing: The RealGMers are legit fans. They watch a lot of games, discuss league news and some like the OP are writers (dude that I started the Dedmon thread about). They aren't stupid or haters. But they just seem to have no idea why the Spurs were successful. They overrate Pop and underrate talent. You saw the defensive comments. That's about as out of touch with the team as it gets, which is why being objective is overrated.

spursistan
10-14-2016, 05:27 AM
Here's the thing: The RealGMers are legit fans. They watch a lot of games, discuss league news and some like the OP are writers (dude that I started the Dedmon thread about). They aren't stupid or haters. But they just seem to have no idea why the Spurs were successful. They overrate Pop and underrate talent. You saw the defensive comments. That's about as out of touch with the team as it gets, which is why being objective is overrated.

this has been the most annoying thing for me as far as the whole 2012-2016 contention run: Pop got too much credit out of it..

it was a perfect storm : Duncan resurgence, Parker 2 peak seasons, trading for a future top 5 player in league, nailing the scrap heap/buy-low moves (Green, Diaw, Mills, Neal etc)..Hadn't those people watched genuis Pop in 2009-2011 when an element or two was missing? :lol

spursistan
10-14-2016, 05:43 AM
Parker will get traded before LMA, IMO..Unless Aldridge demands it, "this-is-about-more-than-just-basketball" Pop won't do it to a guy who came to Texas for his family in large part, not to mention being the franchise first big free agent signee..

Chinook
10-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Fuck Zach Lowe and his predictions. Dude straight up thinks the Spurs are a third-tier team along with Boston and Toronto. Who the hell thinks Boston is anything? Haven't made it out of the first round in how long.

TheGreatYacht
10-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Zach Hoe ranking the Clips second-tier :lol

Its obvious he's visited this place, saw the comments to the stupid shit he says, and is now trolling now lmfao

Kawhitstorm
10-21-2016, 12:33 PM

IMO, PATFO went after Pau instead of someone like Harkless b/c Softridge has made it known he doesn't want to play center & PATFO probably have too much faith in Kyle being a small-ball 4. Dedmon isn't a starting center & I'm not sure the Bulls were looking to dump Taj ala Diaw considering he's now their best big after Pau/Noah left.

Perry Mason
10-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Fuck Zach Lowe and his predictions. Dude straight up thinks the Spurs are a third-tier team along with Boston and Toronto. Who the hell thinks Boston is anything? Haven't made it out of the first round in how long.

His takes have regressed quite a bit since the Bill Simmons Grantland days. His near-selection of the Rockets as the West's best challenger last year is epic in hindsight.

Chinook
10-21-2016, 12:42 PM
His takes have regressed quite a bit since the Bill Simmons Grantland days. His near-selection of the Rockets as the West's best challenger last year is epic in hindsight.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/35-crazy-predictions-for-the-2015-16-nba-season/

RealGM folks acting like he's is some soothsayer are way off base.

SAGirl
10-21-2016, 01:12 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/35-crazy-predictions-for-the-2015-16-nba-season/

RealGM folks acting like he's is some soothsayer are way off base.

wow!!!!!!
Way off base doesn't aptly describe his misses. lol

MaNu4Tres
10-21-2016, 01:25 PM
IMO, PATFO went after Pau instead of someone like Harkless b/c Softridge has made it known he doesn't want to play center & PATFO probably have too much faith in Kyle being a small-ball 4. Dedmon isn't a starting center & I'm not sure the Bulls were looking to dump Taj ala Diaw considering he's now their best big after Pau/Noah left.

Saying Taj is their best big is a bit of a stretch and can easily be debated. They brought in Lopez to play center and they'll likely move forward with Mirotic, not Gibson after this year. Also, they have Portis at PF to compete with Mirotic/Gibson for minutes at the 4 and they're really high on Portis. Trading Taj made sense this past summer and still does, especially if they intend to move forward with a younger and more talented player like Mirotic and Portis at the PF position.

spursistan
10-21-2016, 03:54 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17777645/tiers-nba-zach-lowe

lumping Spurs together with Boston/Toronto in a third tier :lmao..

How is a core (Clippers) that has never seen the light of a conference Finals-- a team with questionable depth, dodgy health record, well-documented choke gene-- placed outright above the Spurs? :lol..

I'm starting to believe TD 21 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17781) theory on Lowe -- the ESPN version-- becoming your typical embedded war reporter/journalist who is bound in the end to give positive coverage in exchange for exclusive access he gets in his mission..

The Spurs don't give him that kind of unfettered access and their executives and players don't seem to hobnob with him for hours al la Warriors/Raptors and such..

TD 21
10-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Typical. Always trying to be different or first with everything; hence his growing aversion to the Spurs and his blind legion of followers joining in.

He constantly rails about them being big, slow and lacking explosiveness on the perimeter, yet loves the Jazz and has always loved the Grizzlies. Figure that one out.

I don't have a problem with the Clippers ahead of the Spurs, if for no other reason than I agree that they're better positioned to give the Warriors a series. But with the Spurs being more accomplished, annually better in the regular season and a 50/50 bet to beat them in a series, not having them in the same tier is inexplicable and disrespectful.

spursistan
10-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Typical. Always trying to be different or first with everything; hence his growing aversion to the Spurs and his blind legion of followers joining in.

He constantly rails about them being big, slow and lacking explosiveness on the perimeter, yet loves the Jazz and has always loved the Grizzlies. Figure that one out.

I don't have a problem with the Clippers ahead of the Spurs, if for no other reason than I agree that they're better positioned to give the Warriors a series. But with the Spurs being more accomplished, annually better in the regular season and a 50/50 bet to beat them in a series, not having them in the same tier is inexplicable and disrespectful.

Yep..by the time the potential series roll around, the Spurs could be having HC and the best player in the series assuming Leonard takes another leap..

spursistan
10-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Yep..by the time the potential series rolls around, the Spurs could be having HC and the obvious best player in the series assuming Leonard takes another leap..

Kawhitstorm
10-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Saying Taj is their best big is a bit of a stretch and can easily be debated. They brought in Lopez to play center and they'll likely move forward with Mirotic, not Gibson after this year. Also, they have Portis at PF to compete with Mirotic/Gibson for minutes at the 4 and they're really high on Portis. Trading Taj made sense this past summer and still does, especially if they intend to move forward with a younger and more talented player like Mirotic and Portis at the PF position.

The Bulls are notorious for making ridiculous demands during trade talks & are a team that rather be an 8th seed at all costs instead of rebuilding. There is a reason they didn't trade Noah or Pau when it was clear to anyone on the outside they two weren't going to re-sign.

I believe Taj has been on the trading blocks since he signed what was once considered a "bad" contract but the guy is most likely going to play out his contract unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

BTW, Portis has been playing backup center during pre-season w/ Mirotic playing the 4 so they don't necessarily have a log jam.

HarlemHeat37
10-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Ya, I'm not high on the Spurs right now, but putting them on the same tier as the Raptors is pretty ridiculous:lol

spursistan
01-20-2017, 12:08 PM

2. The SpursFor once, the crankiest San Antonio fans are right: We aren't talking about the Spurs enough. This was the year San Antonio finally felt a little rickety. Tim Duncan, rim protector for their historically great defense, walked away. The Spurs replaced with him Pau Gasol (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/996/pau-gasol), slow and ground-bound, lacking Duncan's pinpoint ferocity.
Tony Parker (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker) is getting older; could the Spurs maintain their stinginess with Parker and Gasol bookending the defense? They couldn't even count on their vaunted Spursy continuity anymore. San Antonio turned over half its roster after last season. Surely it would take time to find their pass-and-cut harmony!
Nope. Nope, nope, and nope. The Spurs are 33-9, third in points allowed per possession and fourth in offensive efficiency. The bench whips the ball around as if Boris Diaw (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2167/boris-diaw) were still there. Patty Mills (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4004/patty-mills) and Manu Ginobili (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili) have a special mind-meld, and when your two lead ball-handlers dish and move like they do, the vibe is infectious. Nobody stands still. Jonathon Simmons (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2579466/jonathon-simmons) has seen it up close for two years now, and both David Lee (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2772/david-lee) and Dewayne Dedmon (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2580913/dewayne-dedmon) have fit right in on the bench mob -- one expert passer, one above-the-rim finisher type the Spurs haven't had in a while. (Lee may have to start for a bit with Gasol nursing a broken finger.)
The starting five has always been able to slow things down and pound the ball to Kawhi Leonard (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6450/kawhi-leonard) and LaMarcus Aldridge (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge). But now that they're more comfortable with Gasol, they can pivot into a slower, calmer version of that whirring Spursy hyperactivity. Gasol and Aldridge are on fire from midrange, Danny Green (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green) has rediscovered his stroke, and Kawhi Leonard ... my god, Kawhi Leonard.
There are better scorers, and more explosive players. But I'm not sure anyone singlehandedly turns as many games with 45-second spasms of defense and shooting. He'll pickpocket someone, nail a pull-up 3, create a turnover with a deflection, and then drill a jump hook -- and bam, the Spurs have blown open another game. LeBron has that two-way ability, but he reserves his best stuff for June.
What a team.

Zach Lowe mea culpa?

They may not have enough to take down Golden State or they may even get upset by LAC/Rockets, but the idea that this team was in the same tier with the likes Toronto/Boston was simply laughable from the beginning..

When you have a bonafide Top 5 player in the league who just entered his prime, it is insulting to entertain such a thought anyway.... not to mention other factors in which the Spurs pulverize both the Raptors/Celtics..

Chinook
01-20-2017, 12:11 PM
:lol RealGM people buying this shit hook, line and sinker.

Joseph Kony
01-20-2017, 12:21 PM
:lol RealGM people buying this shit hook, line and sinker.RealGM is a pile of shit imo. I still browse and post in other forums besides the general board but those people bill themselves as hardcore bball fans but i remember that thread in player comparisons looking at the spurs offseasn moves where you were making some good points and they dismissed all of them :lol realgm is full of nothing but self-inflated chodes tbh

Chinook
01-20-2017, 12:43 PM
RealGM is a pile of shit imo. I still browse and post in other forums besides the general board but those people bill themselves as hardcore bball fans but i remember that thread in player comparisons looking at the spurs offseasn moves where you were making some good points and they dismissed all of them :lol realgm is full of nothing but self-inflated chodes tbh

I remember Chuck got really offended when I questioned his ability to talk about Spurs players. He tried to claim he knew them from being a Dallas fan. But then he also said the Spurs were just a "solid" defensive team last year.

I like it there well enough and browse it frequently for news about other teams, but it feels like 90 percent of the fans love assets more than players. They overrate young teams and underrate vets consistently. It's crazy how much the T&T board is dominated by Philly and Jazz fans and the GB by Raptors and Knicks fans.

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Zach Lowe mea culpa?

They may not have enough to take down Golden State or they may even get upset by LAC/Rockets, but the idea that this team was in the same tier with the likes Toronto/Boston was simply laughable from the beginning..

When you have a bonafide Top 5 player in the league who just entered his prime, it is insulting to entertain such a thought anyway.... not to mention other factors in which the Spurs pulverize both the Raptors/Celtics..
Kawhi wasn't getting enough respect, nor the rest of the team.... and obviously some others were overrated too.

Dre_7
01-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Real GM does suck. But it is no worse or no better than Spurs Talk tbh.

Solid D
01-20-2017, 01:59 PM

I read this article earlier and, quite frankly, this Spurs segment deserves its own thread.