PDA

View Full Version : Rank the West- as of right now

Walton Buys Off Me
10-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Just based on record alone- forget the divisional bracketing.

1. San Antonio- despite the loss of Devin Brown and Peter Holt only dishing out some 200 million in the last three summers, I think we're gonna be ok.

2. Houston- Another year together for McGrady and Ming means more pressure and in my opinion, more wins. Nice offseason for the Rockets.

3. Phoenix- won't be as exciting as last year but will still win between 55-60 games.

4. Sacramento- Stellar offseason for the Kings but why did they pick up Bonzi?

5. Denver- As annoying as he is, George Karl has proven to be ther right man in Denver. If they can stay healthy, The Nuggets should win the Northwest Division.

6. Dallas- Mavs will win a lot, but won't beat anyone worth a damn.

7. Minnesota- no way KG misses the playoffs two straight years. Monster year on deck for Garnett- the consensus number 1 pick in any fantasy league.

8. Oakland- this might surprise some but if Baron Davis can stay healthy, the Warriors will make the playoffs- you heard it here first.

On the outside looking in; Seattle, Memphis, Lakers.

The Artest Factor
10-06-2005, 04:20 PM
1. Houston Rockets - Two top-10 players, a fantastic supporting cast, great coaching.

2. Phoenix Suns - The MVP + 2 amazing players in Marion and Stoudemire. Theyve also got some oslid role players.

3. San Antonio Spurs - Duncan's production is dropping a bit but he's still a top-5 player I.M.O. Manu is one of the better role players in the league, and there's a few more solid players but their age is a big concern.

4. Dallas Mavericks - They're not what they use to be, but neither is the rest of the West either. Still, a team lead by Dirk and a strong supporting cast should do well in the West.

5. Sacramento Kings - Underrated. Peja, Brad Miller, and Bibby are all top-10 at their position, and Wells and Shareef are above average overall players.

6. Denver Nuggets - They finished hot last year but they'll be back to playoff form come begining of the season. Good, but not real good team.

7. Los Angeles Lakers - Surprise! A team with a top-5 player, a great #2, and Phil Jackson coaching can't not make the playoffs. Also look for Kwame to blow up.

8. Utah Jazz - A bounce back year for the Jazz. AK-47, Boozer, Deron Williams is a nice trio and there's a solid supporting cast and coaching.

Kori Ellis
10-06-2005, 04:22 PM
3. San Antonio Spurs - Duncan's production is dropping a bit but he's still a top-5 player I.M.O. Manu is one of the better role players in the league, and there's a few more solid players but their age is a big concern.

How did a title team who has 10 returning players and added Finley and Van Exel become worse?

Walton Buys Off Me
10-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Duncan a top five player? Where do you get that from? I'm not too sure- he only has three Finals MVP trophies- he might not be up there with Jermaine O'Neal.....(you hear the crickets douchebag)??

I love these fairweather idiots that root for teams that are best known for behaving like ass clowns on national tv and doing NOTHING come playoff time. Any moron that would rank the Suns ahead of the Spurs is a few cocks short of a gangbang.

Spurminator
10-06-2005, 04:32 PM
1. Spurs
2. Suns
3. Mavs
4. Rockets
5. Nuggets
6. Lakers
7. Kings
8. Jazz

Walton Buys Off Me
The again, The ArtestFactor actually typed the words "Look for Kwame to blow up"- 'nuff said.

MiNuS
How did a title team who has 10 returning players and added Finley and Van Exel become worse?
What do you expect from a Pacer fan?

The Artest Factor
They didn't become worse really. Houston and Phoenix just got better.
Houston picked up a great young PF who has fantastic per-minute production in Stromile Swift. He'll be dynamic next to Yao. They've also picked up a great point guard, and no more of the human point guard by commite known as Mike James. As for Phoenix, there's no reason to believe Nash won't be his same MVP-calibre self, Marion will just now be enterting his prime, and Stoudemire will be a year further into his potentially dominating career. And to top it off, they picked up a legit PF, and got rid of the shot chucking Q Richardson. Not even Joe Johnson will be that missed, as he was so overrated, the veteran Jim Jackson will be able to fill his role easily.

Banks91
10-06-2005, 04:33 PM
1. Spurs
2. Rockets
3. Wolves
4. Suns

That is as far as i'll go
(not in order of seeding, but record)

Walton Buys Off Me
10-06-2005, 04:37 PM
"Phoenix got better"- another classic from TheImbecileFactor

This idiot's probably part of the Flat Earth Society.

Kori Ellis
10-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Houston picked up a great young PF who has fantastic per-minute production in Stromile Swift. He'll be dynamic next to Yao. They've also picked up a great point guard, and no more of the human point guard by commite known as Mike James. As for Phoenix, there's no reason to believe Nash won't be his same MVP-calibre self, Marion will just now be enterting his prime, and Stoudemire will be a year further into his potentially dominating career. And to top it off, they picked up a legit PF, and got rid of the shot chucking Q Richardson. Not even Joe Johnson will be that missed, as he was so overrated, the veteran Jim Jackson will be able to fill his role easily.

Umm.. They traded away Mike James for Rafer. That's not exactly a big upgrade.

Houston and Phoenix will both be good but you are acting like the Spurs stood pat. You do realize that they picked up Finley and Van Exel? If anything, they've widened their gap from the rest of the league.

Taking it to the Hole
10-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Houston hasn't won jack, either has Phoenix, either has your precious choke-artist Pacers, therefore the nod for the best should go to the Spurs, because until they are beaten, they are the best.

nkdlunch
10-06-2005, 04:39 PM
You guys realize it's the ArtestFaggtor you're arguing with right?

Kori Ellis
10-06-2005, 04:40 PM
You guys realize it's the ArtestFaggtor you're arguing with right?

I'm actually not arguing; I'm having a discussion. But thanks for your contribution.

And the homosexual slurs need to stop on this board.

samikeyp
10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
1. Spurs
2-8. fighting for second. :)

nkdlunch
10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
just checking. discuss on.. :tu

Marcus Bryant
10-06-2005, 04:45 PM
1. Houston Rockets - Between DA's loyalty gear and T-Mac's game being phat they are clearly the team to beat among Dime Mag's readership.

2. Phoenix Suns - Amare. Need I say more, yo?

3. San Antonio Spurs - They would rank lower but they did pick up Nick Da Quick in the offseason. Still, they have yet to win a real championship, unlike da Kings and da Suns.

Just go.

remingtonbo2001
10-06-2005, 04:46 PM

Yeah, that's about as absurd as players jumping into the stands, beating up opposing fans. Oh, wait, already happened, didn't it?

Hmmm...Let me re-phrase that: Yeah, that is about as absurd as Spurs' players jumping into the stands, beating up opposing fans.

Much better, don't you think?

BigVee
10-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Artest Factor is laughable. Manu is "one of the better role players", yet Odom is a "great #2"? You cannot be serious.

Ishta
10-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Artest Factor is laughable. Manu is "one of the better role players", yet Odom is a "great #2"? You cannot be serious.
Hellllo he just says this stuff cause he knows we will react...at least I hope that's the case,cause if it's not he's truly delusional

remingtonbo2001
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I think A.F. is scared of the fact that Indiana has to pass through S.A. to win a championship. I don't blame him. I would be worried too if my team had to defeat a team with the best active, possibly all-time, PF to play the game. But wait, that's not all. What about that guy with long hair? The man who has more flops in his arsenal than Malone and Stockton put together? Oh, what's his name? Ginobili, the next best thing to Gumbi. I think there related. Oh, yeah, and that other guy. Eva's boyfriend. Yeah, he's quick, just a hair below A.I...Did I mention our bench. Michael Finely, Nick Van Exel. Oh I would trade Nick in a heartbeat for Rafer. Pff...Right. Then there is the Anti-Artest, formally known as Bruce Bowen. A man, who, many say play dirty, but yet it would be difficult to find a more selfless and proactive individual in this league. Yeah, the Spurs are in serious trouble. Could you send me down some of that Indy Swag, It sounds like a real trip.

Kori Ellis
10-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Based on Record alone:

1. San Antonio
2. Houston
3. Phoenix
4. Dallas
5. Denver
6. Sacramento
7 - 11 Wolves, Lakers, Memphis, Utah, Golden State (very close -- order depending on injuries)

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I said in another thread, that I could see the Warriors snatching the 6th spot, as long as everyone stays healthy.

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2005, 05:18 PM
1) Spurs...returning all starters kicks them out of the blocks fast while other contenders are still trying to mesh. If Pop is comfortable that they have 1 seed sewn up in the last month expect to see just tune-up minutes for starters and we may drop a few games to teams still giving 100% fighting for seeding.

2) Phoenix...they know what their weaknesses were last year and will work to improve. Huge amount of talent in the starting five and they aren't afraid to play them big minutes in the regular season.

3) Houston gets better every year. They coach and stress good defense and have one of the best frontcourts in the league. Yao gets a little better every year and he's still 7'6".

4) Dallas. Avery will make them play defense or make them sit. Lots of depth and they can score the ball in a lot of ways.

5)Denver. Barring injuries this is one tough physical team that can run. I may not like them but I have to respect them. They believe in their coach and they believe they can win.

6) Sacramento. May start slow but they have a lot of talent and should rack up some wins...they will get back to their run and gun ball movement offense after they get all the new guys integrated.

7)Lakers.. A determined Kobe coming off the '04-'05 bitch slapping and Phil Jackson. If Kobe truly has grown up and buys into PJ's game plan in order to win they might even finish higher.

8) TWolves. Maybe a new coach will change the mood in Minnesota. If not, Garnett is gonna choke someone. Maybe Spreewell. God I hope there are photographers there when he does.

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I said in another thread, that I could see the Warriors snatching the 6th spot, as long as everyone stays healthy.

Thats a big if and why I left them out of my top 8. They are too dependent on Baron Davis staying healthy and smart money says he misses 30 games.

Spurminator
10-06-2005, 05:21 PM
5) Barring injuries this is one tough physical team that can run. I may not like them but I have to respect them. They believe in their coach and they believe they can win.

Are we playing Guess the Team? :lol

(I guess Denver)

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Thats a big if and why I left them out of my top 8. They are too dependent on Baron Davis staying healthy and smart money says he misses 30 games.

I agree, but if he could stay healthy, and they could somehow find a dependable big man, they'd be pretty good. They are stocked at SG's/SF's

coachtf
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
1. (San Antonio) This has nothing to do with being a homer but if they can stay healthy this is the best Spurs team that Pop has ever put together. Not only do they have the range and clutch shooters in Horry, Van Exel, Finley, Barry and Manu but they added THREE guys who will compete their asses off. Finley was a huge addition who always scared the hell out of me in close games. Mark my words if Pop can figure out a way to get him on the floor with Manu and Brent he will help Barry to become what he was with the Sonics. Finley will compliment Manu and Brent very well and he will get better looks in the silver and black. Oberto will make up for alot by just playing hard every night. He brings a very high b-ball IQ and alot of experience in big games.

2. (Houston) Watch out because I think they are better suited to compete with SA in a seven game series than any other team in the league. They are dangerous!

3. (Phoenix) They added high character tough guys who will help. The loss of Johnson will hurt but not as much as people might think. Q-Rich hurt them in the series against SA in my opinion because he did not play "smart" and he can be replaced.

4. (Utah) I know go ahead and start bashing me now. Trust me they will be much improved and I'm very happy for Devin that he went to a team that plays the right way. He will have a BIG year with the Jazz.

5. (Sacto) They will be tough as always and play hard.

6. (Minny) They could move up but as of right now they don't have alot of toughness.

7. (Dallas) They will play team ball and work hard.

8. (Portland) Yeah, I know but Nate is an underrated coach who will make them much better.

9. (Lakers) Kobe is a stud and Phil is well Phil!

10. (Seattle) I'm not a huge fan of the new coach. I think they might fall off in a big way.

Sleeper: Watch out for the Clippers. Sam and Mobley can ball and Elton and Kaman can bang on any given night. Mags will play tough and they have a nice coach who knows his shit!

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I agree, but if he could stay healthy, and they could somehow find a dependable big man, they'd be pretty good. They are stocked at SG's/SF's

http://static.userland.com/tower3/images/deanland/whenpigsflyanime.gif

Kori Ellis
10-06-2005, 05:45 PM
8. (Portland) Yeah, I know but Nate is an underrated coach who will make them much better.

Speaking of which, have you seen how much the Sonics players have bashed Nate's coaching style in recent days? I never realized that there was a problem there.

Boo
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
1. Houston Rockets - Two top-10 players, a fantastic supporting cast, great coaching.

2. Phoenix Suns - The MVP + 2 amazing players in Marion and Stoudemire. Theyve also got some oslid role players.

4. Dallas Mavericks - They're not what they use to be, but neither is the rest of the West either. Still, a team lead by Dirk and a strong supporting cast should do well in the West.

5. Sacramento Kings - Underrated. Peja, Brad Miller, and Bibby are all top-10 at their position, and Wells and Shareef are above average overall players.

6. Denver Nuggets - They finished hot last year but they'll be back to playoff form come begining of the season. Good, but not real good team.

7. Los Angeles Lakers - Surprise! A team with a top-5 player, a great #2, and Phil Jackson coaching can't not make the playoffs. Also look for Kwame to blow up.

8. Utah Jazz - A bounce back year for the Jazz. AK-47, Boozer, Deron Williams is a nice trio and there's a solid supporting cast and coaching.

Your a dumbass!! HAHA you crack me up

Banks91
10-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Wats wrong with some of u??????????
U can bet ur house on the fact that wolves will be anywhere from 6th to 2nd in the west this year, its as simple as that.

Banks91
10-06-2005, 06:22 PM
I mean I understand Garnetts is in direct competition with Duncan for top PF , but anybody that has Minny missin the playoffs on their list is delusional. This board needs to relax with the subtle shots at Garnett and the wolves

Leetonidas
10-06-2005, 06:24 PM

Dumbass.

1. San Antonio
2. Phoenix
3. Houston
4. Sacramento
5. Denver
6. Utah
7. Dallas
8. Golden State

Leetonidas
10-06-2005, 06:27 PM
WTF I looked over his list again. When the fuck did Yao Ming become a Top 10 player? :lmao

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
WTF I looked over his list again. When the fuck did Yao Ming become a Top 10 player? :lmao

Actually I think you are wrong. If they totally reshuffled the deck and let GM's choose new rosters from active players they are all gonna take a big man as their first pick. A 7'-6" big guy with soft hands that is young and just getting the culture/NBA figured out as he is starting to hit his prime would probably go in the top 10.

batman2883
10-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I mean I understand Garnetts is in direct competition with Duncan for top PF , but anybody that has Minny missin the playoffs on their list is delusional. This board needs to relax with the subtle shots at Garnett and the wolves
Oh my god another fucking Minnesota fan dressed as a spurs fan, dude Minny is crap they have no bench, they have what KG and Wally, big fucking whoop

Banks91
10-06-2005, 07:14 PM
WTF , this guy just say im a wolves fan dressed as a spurs fan?loooooooooool
First off, u gonna deny most people on here dont do it, put down the wolves merely cuz Garnetts on it? Anyways im not tryin to get into that argument again.

My point is they've been a 50win team for a while now, and suddenly after one season(which wont happen again) of not makin the playoffs, and suddenly their branded as losers.

Wat makes me sad though, is that less then a couple months ago i wouldnt have figured i'd ever be backin Garnett and the wolves. Almost feel like im betrayin Duncan, but u dumb idiots on this board are forcin me to it.

Banks91
10-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Most fans here are always bashing the lakers and their fans, but ive been checking out their site and just readin things, and this site has waaaaaaay more homerism and dumb nut huggin goin on then over there.

Ya'll need to see urself as others see u, u'd actually be quite shocked wat u saw

mavsfan1000
10-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Wow Houston is getting overrated. They have one of the worse back-courts in the league to go with a great front court.

coachtf
10-06-2005, 07:22 PM
I forgot Denver in my list sorry! I think they better than Portland but Karl has a history of screwing things up. He has some head cases on that squad so they are pretty unstable IMO.

Yeah Kori I have read some stuff on Nate as well and I was pretty shocked too. I like him alot though and i think he will do well in Portland.

ambchang
10-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Most fans here are always bashing the lakers and their fans, but ive been checking out their site and just readin things, and this site has waaaaaaay more homerism and dumb nut huggin goin on then over there.

Ya'll need to see urself as others see u, u'd actually be quite shocked wat u saw

Sure, some of us do, and I agree with you, because winning does that to fans. The Spurs are a great team, but they are by no means invincible. It all depends on how well the new comers mesh, and how well Oberto compliments Duncan.
We all know Duncan needs a shooting big man to be at his best (Horry), and given that Horry is 35 (or somewhere around that range), there is no guarantee that he will be at his tiptop condition forever.
I love this team, I think management did the best they could to upgrade the team (I still want DeMarr Johnson, but that would be nitpicking), but the championship is still up for grabs. Detroit is still strong, Pacers could become a force if they mature, Miami ... nah ....
Also, the Spurs may not even win a lot in the regular season, because you KNOW pop is going to limit minutes to Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Horry, the bench will see a LOT of time, and you all know how the Spurs ALWAYS start the season slow.
But then, of course, the Spurs is the best team in the league right now.
So I go.
1. Spurs
2. Phoenix
3. Denver (I know I know, but they can run, they can defend, all they need is a half court offense).
4. Houston (still need a PG that actually resembles a PG)
5. Utah (I am not crazy, Kirilenko = a lot of wins)
6. Dallas
7. Kings
8. Lakers, TWolves or maybe even GS, can't decide .... let's just say TWolves.

Money316
10-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Survey says "Post that's Dumber than Dirt"
:fro :fro :fro

sickdsm
10-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Anyone who knows anything doesn't debate number one in the west. Number one overall is debateable depending on how the chemistry is in Miami but the west DOES need to be ranked 2-8. If you don't put the Spurs number one your automatically a homer for a different squad.

That being said, the wolves are underated this year. Instead of being stupid and acting like KG has been surrounded by awesome talent for years take a look at things.

In '03, you had KG and Wally of course. Remember, this isn't the same wally that the idiots like to say is an allstar after he blew his knee out. You have Troy, who for the first time since his injury two years ago is proclaiming HIMSELF healthy. Besides that, you have Rasho, who had a career year with the wolves but dropped into being turned down in a trade for TAW (Duncan makes players better and KG doesn't though, right?) Anthony Peeler STARTED at SG, who two years removed tore up the L with a 3.8 PPG average. Joe Smith and Marc Jackson were solid backup PF, too bad they were forced to play undersized at center quite frequently.

Too round it off you had:
Kendall Gill
Rod Strickland
Gary Trent
Reggie Slater
Loren Woods
Mike Wilks
Igor Rakocevic

Frightening i know, especially at that stage of these guys' career.

How many of these guys would/will be praying to God that there so lucky to hang on one more year in the league only two years removed?

51 games won, 4th seed overall, very competiteive 6 game series with the three time defending champs, including a nail biting loss that could have let it go to seven and also one of the most lopsided playoff game blowout kobe has ever played in.

So scoff all you want at the notion the wolves will end up being from 5-7 seed, i expect that. KG, Wally, and troy are all still around. The supporting cast is better IMO than that one. McCants, Jaric, and Hassell are all pieces the wolves have never had before. A young scoring two guard, a defensive, pass first starting pg, and a solid defender at the swing. Most importantly, they are YOUNG for once. Things are more likely to get better with a young struggling team than an old one as the season progress. And they have a coach who is trying to round the team into an athletic, driving/fastbreak and defensive minded team for once. Say what you want about fastbreak teams in the playoffs but the reg. season is where they shine.

ducks
10-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I think a sleeper team can be gs this year if brron stays healthy

sickdsm
10-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Sleeper: Watch out for the Clippers. Sam and Mobley can ball and Elton and Kaman can bang on any given night. Mags will play tough and they have a nice coach who knows his shit!

I agree. Im going to say the clippers make the playoffs. Short of maybe Phx they have the deadliest offense in the west.

PG: A pissed off sam Casell
SG: Mobley
SF: Maggette
PF: Brand
C: Kaman

Solid enough starting lineup. But when you factor in the main backups Livingston, Wilcox, and Ross? Ross was one of the best perimeter defenders in the leauge last year. It really raises my eyebrow when Kori doesn't put them into the top twelve.

z0sa
10-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Surprising as it is, alot of teams this year are quite good thanks to good offseason acquisitions. I really like Utah's chances of making the playoffs.

DesiSpur_21
10-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Based on Record

1. Spurs
2. Suns
3. Rockets
4. Mavericks
5. Nuggets
6. Kings
7. T'wolves
8-10 (Jazz/Lakers/Warriors) in that order.

mavsfan1000
10-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Cassell is over the hill and Mobley is a chemistry killer. The defense of LAC is going to suck. I don't think they will make the playoffs.

Sense
10-06-2005, 11:12 PM

You're talking about teams that lost or traded starters...

They haven't proven shit, yet the Spurs are the defending champs with the same deep team as last year except with Finley and Van Exel?

What the fuck is in your head?

Anyways.. why do I even bother with this idiot.

Leetonidas
10-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Actually I think you are wrong. If they totally reshuffled the deck and let GM's choose new rosters from active players they are all gonna take a big man as their first pick. A 7'-6" big guy with soft hands that is young and just getting the culture/NBA figured out as he is starting to hit his prime would probably go in the top 10.

Um, no. Maybe he is a Top Ten center, but he is not a top ten player. Yao Ming is a soft pussy with no power and commands no respect. He was overhyped when he came into the league and he still is now.

ShoogarBear
10-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Speaking of which, have you seen how much the Sonics players have bashed Nate's coaching style in recent days? I never realized that there was a problem there.

Yeah, I think it's more a "well, we didn't like that guy anyway" reaction to Nate bolting.

gospursgojas
10-07-2005, 12:35 AM
I think you guys are overrating the Jazz...

1 SPURS
2 HOUSTON
3 DENVER
4 DALLAS
5 PHOENIX
6 SACTO
7 GOLDEN STATE
8 L.A. LAKERS
9 MEMPHIS
10 UTAH
11 SEATTLE
12 MINNY
13 L.A. CLIPS
14 PORTLAND
15 NEW ORLEANS/OKLAHOMA CITY

Sense
10-07-2005, 12:52 AM
I think you guys are overrating the Jazz...

If anything, they are underrated.

The Jazz with a healthy AK47, and Boozer aswell as their acquisitions during the offseason..

They are a playoff team, or should be.

z0sa
10-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Devin Brown I predict will average around 15ppg with the jazz, if not more. I think Brown will have a huge impact, not so much statistically but just what he brings to the team, that winning spirit. And Jerry Sloan is one of the greats at coaching. So I don't think the Jazz should be factored out just yet.

mavsfan1000
10-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Both Denver and Houston are getting overrated. Neither have proven anything yet. Denver is still undersized in the frontcourt and lack outside shooting.

Sense
10-07-2005, 01:13 AM
Both Denver and Houston are getting overrated. Neither have proven anything yet. Denver is still undersized in the frontcourt and lack outside shooting.

Denver and Houston are better than Dallas right now.

Did you just post Denver is undersized?

They might be overrrated but they are still better than Dallas.

mavsfan1000
10-07-2005, 01:22 AM
I figured that's what I would read from sense because he thrives on pissing me off. I don't see Dallas getting any worse and despite Finley's terrible shooting in the playoffs Dallas was close to beating Phoenix. Finley cost us the series and I'm glad you have him now to screw things up. Stackhouse, Christie, and Daniels could all do better than what Finley showed when it really counted.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-07-2005, 02:06 AM
I forgot Denver in my list sorry! I think they better than Portland but Karl has a history of screwing things up. He has some head cases on that squad so they are pretty unstable IMO.

headcases? you really dont know the Nuggets too well do you?.....The team chemistry under Karl is amazing and everyone meshes so well. Dont confuse Kmart's attitude and cockiness with being a headcase, two totally different things. Rodney White was a head case and we got rid of him and now he is with the clips. The Nuggets will have one of the best chemistries in the NBA, why do you think we didnt make much noise in the offseason ? (dont believe all those trade talks), sure the Nuggets would have loved a star sg (but not Pierce, too many issues) but Kiki and Karl love the guys they have, the players like the team they have and you cant get any better than that.

Dre_7
10-07-2005, 03:39 AM
headcases? you really dont know the Nuggets too well do you?.....The team chemistry under Karl is amazing and everyone meshes so well. Dont confuse Kmart's attitude and cockiness with being a headcase, two totally different things. Rodney White was a head case and we got rid of him and now he is with the clips. The Nuggets will have one of the best chemistries in the NBA, why do you think we didnt make much noise in the offseason ? (dont believe all those trade talks), sure the Nuggets would have loved a star sg (but not Pierce, too many issues) but Kiki and Karl love the guys they have, the players like the team they have and you cant get any better than that.

I thought Nene wants out asap. Isnt he upset about not starting??

sickdsm
10-07-2005, 09:01 AM
LOL @ mavs fan talking about an undersized frontcourt (Nene, camby and Kmart are one one of the better frontcourt rotations in the league) and lack of defense.

FromWayDowntown
10-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I don't see Camby, Nene and KMart as a front court with great size. That doesn't mean they aren't good players, and it doesn't mean that they won't succeed. But if you watched the First Round series between the Spurs and the Nuggets, it was pretty obvious that there was a front court with great size playing against a group of good front court players.

I think Denver will be one of the more dangerous teams in the West as long as Karl doesn't revert back to some of the crap he pulled in Milwaukee and Seattle, and spends his time just trying to keep that team together and playing within the system.

I think Dallas has a chance to be better, mostly because they've trimmed some of the fat off of their roster and can narrow down to an 9-man rotation of guys who will play set minutes every night and find some cohesion. I think AJ will get those guys to play some defense and I think because of that, the Mavs have a chance to compete for HCA in Round 1.

Sacramento is really deep, but I'm not sure they have great quality anywhere. They have pretty good quality in a lot of places, but pretty good quality doesn't often get it done (at least not at the highest levels) in the NBA.

I would be surprised if the T'Wolves missed the 2006 playoffs, and I'd be surprised if the Grizzlies made the 2006 playoffs.

All in all, something like this:

Going up:
San Antonio
Houston
Denver
Golden State
LA Lakers (they'll be better because the NBA wants that)
Utah (a little better overall)

Going Down:
Seattle
Memphis
Phoenix (by a small amount)

Going Sideways:
Sacramento
Dallas
LA Clippers (I can't buy that all in that gang will stay healthy for 82 games)
Minnesota

Going Nowhere:
Portland
New Orleans/Oklahoma City/Bossier City

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-07-2005, 10:51 AM
1) Spurs-50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong. Everyone is picking the Spurs for a reason. Well except for the Artest Factor, but to each his own.
2) Rockets- Even with a patch work back court they managed to be one of the best teams in the second half of the season. Yao will be in better shape, and while Alston is a head case I'm going to give JVG the benefit of the doubt. He managed to keep Sprewell on a leash for a while in New York so maybe he can make this work. Swift adds a little speed to the front court, and TMac won't have to go through the adjustment period that he did last year. If and when they get Sura back they are going to look even better. (If anyone tells my friends in Houston that I complimented the Rockets-I WILL CUT YOU, SUCKA!)

3)Suns-They've got the stars, they've gotten deeper. Defense remains to be seen, but if Shawn Marion steps up and really earns that paycheck they'll run away with their division again. I remain concerned about Nash not having a back-up. If that hamstring starts acting up again they could slide down this list a lot.

4)Utah-This sounds ambitious but they were on pace for a similar finish before AK-47 went down in a heap. Sloan is possibly the best coach behind Pop, they drafted well, Devin could have a breakout season, and Boozer is probably hungry to get out there and show his stuff. If they stay healthy they will be in the thick of things.

5)Mavs-AJ has to deal with a team that is without a real lockerroom leader and a lot of new faces once again. Finley's exit will open up the rotation for some of their young talent, and AJ's defensive philosophy will help but I can't put them in the top 4 until I see Dirk get some real maturity and leadership skills.

6) Nuggets-They're still young and my gut is telling me that they could well finish out of the playoffs if George wears out his welcome like he so often does. Still, too much talent to ignore their chances.

7)Kings-Great starting five, but the bench isn't what it once was. Look for Bibby to blow up (in a good way.)

8)Lakers-A healthy Kobe with a decent enough team around him should be able to manage this. It could go up in smoke real quick but I have to believe that Kobe is focused on quieting some critics enough that he'll keep his mouth shut and just play ball.

There's a logjam at the nine spot with Golden State (Baron will never stay healthy), Minnesota (KG is great but the west is just too deep), Clippers (good front 5, but lack the D's-defense and depth), and Portland (super young, but loaded with potential and a good coach.) If there's a key injury or something in Sacto or LA any of them could theoretically squeak in.

ShoogarBear
10-07-2005, 11:06 AM
4)Utah

:wow

I can't see it, but if this comes true, you should get Prognosticator of the Year award.

implacable44
10-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Amazing the predictions - amazing !
1. Spurs - The best team with the best player and the best coach along with a whole slew of guys who know thier roles and fulfill them.
2. Mavs - Dirk. Dude is amazing to me. Couple that with a serviceable center in Erik Dampier - Josh Howard, MArquis Daniels and Stackhouse on the wing with Devin and Jason Terry - not to mention they have a Pop protege and Ex-Spur running the team - They were good last year and they will be better this year.
3. Suns - I am not too sure about them but if we are talking regular season then they will win a lot of games again by just running people out of the gym - they are a weaker team this year than they were last year - losing joe johnson and Q bang your forehead Richardson but they still have Amare and Nash with some good shooters but Nash will get hurt and they still are not deep at all. They will not do anything in the playoffs.
4. Rockets - MCgrady - Yao and they made some nice additions - but in the end - Mcgrady will end this year without getting out of the first round as he has his entire career.
5. Nuggets - THey play well and they have a lot - a whole lot of players to throw at you. I think Julius Hodge was a great pick and will be a really nice addition to this team - HE quite possibly could be rookie of the year. THey have solid guard play and good post presence with camby and martin - on both ends of the floor - but especiallyon defense. now if they could just get Melo to understand the concept of shot selection .....
6. Minnesota- I just dont think you can bet against KG - they got rid of a lot of bad apples that were ruining the team and they still have a nice team. I guess it will boil down to how well Mccants plays and how productive JArko and Niko will be.
7. Kings- I think Shareef is a great addition to this team - he will be a 20 10 guy and free up peja to get some more open looks. Bibby is solid and with bonzi - if he can control his attitude and temperment they make a solid back court. Not to mention they have Brad MIller who is easily a 15 p 10 r guy at Center.
8. Utah- I was torn here between the Jazz and the LAkers but I just can't root for an alleged rapist and confessed adulterer no matter how good he is - not to mention their roster is crap. Kobe and a bunch of goons - I have to root for Bynum because he played for the mighty U but Phil will probably turn him into Luc Longley II. Phil is so overrated - so I pick the Jazz in this spot because of JErry Sloan and because they Jazz are all healthy. They have a bunch of solid players and they finally have a guy who can play point like Jerry wants.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-07-2005, 03:31 PM
I thought Nene wants out asap. Isnt he upset about not starting??

no doubt he wants to start but he knows he hasnt consistently proven himself yet as a worthy starter over Camby BUT if it was up to me id start Nene and bring Camby off the bench so it preserves his body a bit. Camby's health is a big part of how succesful we will or wont be

smeagol
10-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Houston will not be second. Third at best but I see them more as #4.

Spurs rock
10-07-2005, 09:48 PM
1. Spurs
2. who cares?
3. who cares?
4. who cares?
5. who cares?
6. who cares?
7. who cares?
8. who cares?

Leetonidas
10-07-2005, 11:09 PM
1. Spurs
2. who cares?
3. who cares?
4. who cares?
5. who cares?
6. who cares?
7. who cares?
8. who cares?

:tu

carina_gino20
10-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Houston hasn't even gotten beyond the first round with Yao Ming in the roster...

WTH, Duncan slowing down? That's just his carribean style.. ;)

wildbill2u
10-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Just based on record alone- forget the divisional bracketing..

1. San Antonio Spurs starting five
2. San Antonio Spurs second team
3-9. Who cares?

clooneyschick04
10-08-2005, 06:03 PM
1. Spurs
2. who cares?
3. who cares?
4. who cares?
5. who cares?
6. who cares?
7. who cares?
8. who cares?

Couldn't agree more!

1Parker1
10-08-2005, 06:49 PM
1) San Antonio
2) Dallas
3) Houston
4) Sacramento
5) Pheonix (in light of Amare's new injury)
6) Lakers
7) Denver
8) Warriors (if Baron stays healthy) or TWolves

I bet that Memphis will lose out in the playoff race this year.

Rummpd
10-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Ok you "amateurs" have had your say! Debate this:

1) Spurs - locked and loaded!

2) Suns - improved where they needed to but it all depends on Nash's health.

3) Mavs - don't dismiss this team!

4) Rockets - 4-6 almost interchangable, not convinced they will ever win unless ball goes into Yao over and over again!

5) Denver - this year we find out if Carmello can do it for a full year

6) Kings - may be ranked too low! Some great off season additions!

7) Sonics - still a deep and dangerous team

8) Golden State - will keep LAL out of playoffs as BD is a stud!

9) Wolves - Garnett implodes in a pique of anger as team misses playoff again.

10) Lakers - Ditto for Kobe!

11) Jazz - Devin Brown in contention for both 6th man and most improved?

12) Clippers - should be higher but damm they are the Clippers - they always screw it up.

13) TrailBlazers - a year away from a move back up, but at least have the players don't need ankle bracelets for their felonies anymore.

14) Hornets - this poor franchise, would love to see them better but they are as bad off as their homestate right now.

"SportsDoc to the Fans", Basketball News Service (www.Hoopsworld.com)

smdanss
10-09-2005, 09:48 AM

This "The Artest Factor" may be another version from the "asterisk" family. We may need to keep our board clean.

5ToolMan
10-09-2005, 10:44 AM

Delusional? Would that not better describe those who said the Wolves would miss the playoffs in 2005? :elephant

KG and Company have demonstrated they are quite capible of doing less than their usual one and done dissappearing act. I don't think it is really delusional for hoops fans to expect them to repeat their futility. After all, KG has never demonstrated the ability to lead his team very far. In 2004 he had Sam carrying his shriviled sac into the WCF. Other than that lone Wolfe year, his success in leading a team far in the playoffs has been a big zero.