PDA

View Full Version : 76ers: The late 90s was so deficient in Talent..

apalisoc_9
10-14-2016, 11:14 AM
They allowed a 33-35 year old to dominate the league. :lol

I dobt think its been stated enough but mid 90s to late 90s was so deficient in talent...not as bad as the 70s..but still ridiculosuly bad.

Caltex2
10-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Yeah, that Michael Jordan was just awful and influenced an entire generation at least. And that was a time when real centers roamed the court, stompin' opponents into the dirt as opposed to today when centers rebound and block and pretty much everyone else just jacks 3's, tries to cross people over and tries for flashy SportsCenter dunks.

Stop trolling OP.

Kawhitstorm
10-14-2016, 11:48 AM

That's b/c they didn't play in AAU programs & stayed 3-4 yrs in college back in the 80s thus they didn't have a ton of mileage compared to the current mid-30s cats.

LeBron has probably already played more minutes than Jordan did for his ENTIRE career if you combine AAU+FIBA+NBA.

spursistan
10-14-2016, 11:54 AM
AlSo those late 1980s-early 1990s drafts were pretty weak, tbh..Who apart from Shaq/Payton was what you consider a franchise player or ended up having a HOF career?

apalisoc_9
10-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that Michael Jordan was just awful and influenced an entire generation at least. And that was a time when real centers roamed the court, stompin' opponents into the dirt as opposed to today when centers rebound and block and pretty much everyone else just jacks 3's, tries to cross people over and tries for flashy SportsCenter dunks.

Stop trolling OP.

Exactly dumbass..Jordans positional rival for a long time was clyde fucking drexler...

ambchang
10-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Exactly dumbass..Jordans positional rival for a long time was clyde fucking drexler...

What's wrong with the second best SG of all time? Who's Lebrons? Kawhi? Paul George? Melo?

apalisoc_9
10-14-2016, 12:10 PM
What's wrong with the second best SG of all time? Who's Lebrons? Kawhi? Paul George? Melo?

Its ok old man...im sure kobe didint mean to hurt your feelings..let it go

ambchang
10-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Its ok old man...im sure kobe didint mean to hurt your feelings..let it go

Why'd you have to bring in Kobe?

Again, who's lebrons positional rival?

Kawhitstorm
10-14-2016, 12:41 PM

Jordan's main rival for MVPs was Barkley (ala Dominos/Bron) whom he creamed in the '93 Finals. Jordan also creamed pre-HIV Magic in the '91 Finals.

'84-'93 Jordan was the baddest man to grace a basketball court, he would have creamed the '95-'98 version.

Thread
10-14-2016, 12:45 PM
At least Drexler never got kicked out of the NBA like Jordan did.

lefty
10-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Expansion teams made the league weaker in the late 90's , that's for sure .....

And it's even weaker today tbh ....

lefty
10-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Jordan's main rival for MVPs was Barkley (ala Dominos/Bron) whom he creamed in the '93 Finals. Jordan also creamed pre-HIV Magic in the '91 Finals.

'84-'93 Jordan was the baddest man to grace a basketball court, he would have creamed the '95-'98 version.
Jordan didnt do shit against Magic, he has to thank MVPippen for his defensive contribution

And Magic (an overrated passer tbh) lost Worthy and Scott to injuries; I'm not saying they would have beaten the Bulls, but they wouldn't have lost in 5

DAF86
10-14-2016, 02:20 PM

Why would you leave KD out of the list?

Leetonidas
10-14-2016, 02:24 PM
I mean, Zaza fucking Pachulia was almost a starter in the ASG last year so... :lol

lefty
10-14-2016, 02:31 PM
I mean, Zaza fucking Pachulia was almost a starter in the ASG last year so... :lol
:lol today's NBA
:lol Pachulia = more charismatic Greg Kite

Clipper Nation
10-14-2016, 02:57 PM
At least Drexler never got kicked out of the NBA like Jordan did.

ambchang
10-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Why would you leave KD out of the list?

KD is a beta

Silver&Black
10-14-2016, 04:37 PM
The :lol Today's NBA side is winning, thh.

Kawhitstorm
10-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Jordan didnt do shit against Magic, he has to thank MVPippen for his defensive contribution

The only thing Jordan couldn't Magic was guard him in the post b/c of the sheer size disadvantage. Otherwise, Jorn beat Magic at his own game as a facilitator while dropping a very efficient 31 & completely shutting down Byron Scott.

Jorn outplayed a HEALTHY Magic just as bad as LeBron outplayed an injured Curry:

bTTESpDOYVY

StrengthAndHonor
10-14-2016, 06:31 PM
You have to divide the 90's in two parts, the league was basically Michael Jordan and the Bulls rapping an inferior league mainly because of the expansion. Spreading the talent was the elephant in the room most people ignore nowadays. The additions of Orlando, Miami, Minnesota and Charlotte in 89 were not necessary. The league was already suffering from a lack of talent and it was compounded when some of the best players of each draft ended up with expansion teams (Shaq, Penny in Orlando. KG and Marbury in Minnesota, Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson in Charlotte to name a few

If it wasn't for the 96 And 97 NBA draft, the league would've sunken into the bottom considering how awful the talent pool was in the late 90's up to 2002.

daslicer
10-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Amazing how the OP is always obsessed with an era that is nearly 30 years old now.

BD24
10-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Amazing how the OP is always obsessed with an era that is nearly 30 years old now.
You know this has nothing to do with an era and everything to do with OP being an attention whore. He just tries to say things that will get lots of responses. He doesn't belive 80 to 90% of the shit he says.

Just look how much the faggot flip flops on his stances.

LkrFan
10-16-2016, 09:49 AM
True, that's another reason why the last "title" won in the 90s got a big fat * :lol

* denotes a 50 game season. 50/82= 61%. Whoever won the title that year was 39% deficient in legitimacy based on my advanced calculations. :toast

ambchang
10-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Look at the top 10 lists that are coming out recently, the usually consist of some of the following players:

Draymond Green
Paul George
Kwahi Leonard
Steph Curry
Lebron James
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Westbrook

Now look into 1996, exactly twenty years ago. That top 10 would have some combination of

Jordan
Hakeem
Malone
Pippen
Robinson
Ewing
Shaq
Anfernee Hardaway
Grant Hill
Stockton
Payton
Kemp
Barkley
Reggie Miller

You tell me which group is better.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-18-2016, 06:41 PM
well, they have a point about 99 being the worst year in NBA history... points wise, it was... I believe the league average was like 91 ppg :lol

DMC
10-18-2016, 07:11 PM
In my lifetime I cannot recall a longer period of not a fucking thing as we've seen post Lebron. Nothing, not a fucking thing. Sure we have good players, good defenders, good good blah blah blah but all this hype over Jabari, over Simmons, over Davis, over Embiid, over KAT... they are all good players, but when are we going to get another "best in the NBA in his 2nd year in the league" folks who doesn't get that way because the league just sinks to their level?

This NBA sucks where raw talent is concerned.

DMC
10-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Look at the top 10 lists that are coming out recently, the usually consist of some of the following players:

Draymond Green
Paul George
Kwahi Leonard
Steph Curry
Lebron James
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Westbrook

Now look into 1996, exactly twenty years ago. That top 10 would have some combination of

Jordan
Hakeem
Malone
Pippen
Robinson
Ewing
Shaq
Anfernee Hardaway
Grant Hill
Stockton
Payton
Kemp
Barkley
Reggie Miller

You tell me which group is better.

Other than Lebron and Kawhi (for his defense) I don't know if these rest of those guys would even make an NBA squad back then.

Sean Cagney
10-18-2016, 07:16 PM

midnightpulp
10-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Apa is still on his "modern athletes are the Avengers" shtick, I see.

I think the 90's was actually the more athletic era, since players were probably more juiced then than they are now (the scandals in baseball surely placed a microscope over the other major sports, as well. You also can't get away with rampant PED use in today's social media age). That said, the 90's style of basketball was harder to watch due to the iso-heavy, smashmouth style employed back then, but that had more to do with how the game was called than with any deficiency in talent.

That said, I'm not a big flag waver of the "modern" NBA right now. Pace-and-Space was great, the high point of basketball in this decade, and I'll champion that style. But we aren't in pace-and-space any longer. It's Wardellball now, and that shit is just as atrocious to watch as 90's grind-fests. Penetration and post play has become a lost art in favor of spamming pick-and-rolls and chucking 3's off secondary action. It's shallow as fuck basektball, but fits the limited skillsets of AAU molded players.

For as much as analytics has helped the game, it's hurt it when the numbers revealed just how powerful good 3 point shooting is, which has forced teams to basically play outside/in, with the "in" being hitting the roll man off a pick-and-roll. Aside from Westbrook and Lebron, you don't see players break down defenses anymore and generate the offense off drive-kick-and-swing (that was pace-and-space). It's all manufactured off the spacing the 3 point threat creates, and it's boring as shit to watch. Ex. Curry basically walks in all of his layups since the defense has to over commit to him during a pick-and-roll, and since GS has a squadron of 3 point threats, you can't cheat off your man to help.

Wardellball is a very binary strategy. Pick-and-roll/chuck 3's. And the league has followed.

10-19-2016, 05:39 AM

I think the 90's was actually the more athletic era, since players were probably more juiced then than they are now (the scandals in baseball surely placed a microscope over the other major sports, as well. You also can't get away with rampant PED use in today's social media age). That said, the 90's style of basketball was harder to watch due to the iso-heavy, smashmouth style employed back then, but that had more to do with how the game was called than with any deficiency in talent.

That said, I'm not a big flag waver of the "modern" NBA right now. Pace-and-Space was great, the high point of basketball in this decade, and I'll champion that style. But we aren't in pace-and-space any longer. It's Wardellball now, and that shit is just as atrocious to watch as 90's grind-fests. Penetration and post play has become a lost art in favor of spamming pick-and-rolls and chucking 3's off secondary action. It's shallow as fuck basektball, but fits the limited skillsets of AAU molded players.

For as much as analytics has helped the game, it's hurt it when the numbers revealed just how powerful good 3 point shooting is, which has forced teams to basically play outside/in, with the "in" being hitting the roll man off a pick-and-roll. Aside from Westbrook and Lebron, you don't see players break down defenses anymore and generate the offense off drive-kick-and-swing (that was pace-and-space). It's all manufactured off the spacing the 3 point threat creates, and it's boring as shit to watch. Ex. Curry basically walks in all of his layups since the defense has to over commit to him during a pick-and-roll, and since GS has a squadron of 3 point threats, you can't cheat off your man to help.

Wardellball is a very binary strategy. Pick-and-roll/chuck 3's. And the league has followed.
midst with the goods tbh

Chinook
10-19-2016, 06:22 AM

Yep. You need to balance out the point difference between threes and twos -- 50 percent is just too high. Or you can make shots in the paint worth three points as well. Sure, you're killing the mid-range game. But post-oriented teams would make a comeback in a hurry.

Spurtacular
10-19-2016, 02:51 PM

I dobt think its been stated enough but mid 90s to late 90s was so deficient in talent...not as bad as the 70s..but still ridiculosuly bad.

I'm pretty sure you know jack sh** about the 70's, tbh.

dbestpro
10-21-2016, 04:19 PM
I feel so sorry for all of you who never got to see the Iceman or Dr J play live.

Clipper Nation
10-21-2016, 06:14 PM
I say shave the extra point off what is currently the three-pointer and just make it worth two. That shot is just too overpowered right now at the expense of the rest of the game.