PDA

View Full Version : hard to gauge the success this roster will have

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 08:47 AM
kawhi will be a beast. but:

-not a fan of parker
-when will green be able to shoot again? (2 of 10 from beyond the arc so far)
-lma & (a 36 year old) gasol both lack athleticism and mobility

-off the bench we'll be counting on: a 39 year old, anderson + simmons, and two rookies...
-outside of our rotation we have joel anthony and two more rookies.

not cliff diving, just making observations...

glad with how spry david lee is looking, and dedmon looks likes he's made strides since the first game.

last season i wanted a trade... spurs will need one (or two) even more this season imo.

jermaine
10-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Your not the only 1.... as I watched the game, I was like if Kawhi gets hurt, we're fucked. But Manu is old an Anderson an Simmons was a serious waste of time an effort. But I like Anderson, he's just not it.... he's a.... well... idk what he is.

TrainOfThought5
10-15-2016, 09:38 AM
If Kawhi goes down we should tank and use this as a developmental year for all the young guys.

Other than that, yeah, this is what non-contention looks like. We could easily be a 4-5 seed with this roster. Im not convinced we've got overwhelming talent, or pieces that truly fit what we want to do.

NameLess Scrub
10-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Is Danny really still bricking shots?

Dude had a finals record 3 years ago. What's up with that?

Kikoluna
10-15-2016, 11:29 AM
As long as Kyle Anderson plays more than a second were fucked.

Cry Havoc
10-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Who else in the West is going to be good other than the Warriors? If we're healthy come playoff time we should make the WCF.

szkorhetz
10-15-2016, 02:18 PM
Is Danny really still bricking shots?

Dude had a finals record 3 years ago. What's up with that?
Contract extension.

Russ
10-15-2016, 02:22 PM
It would be nice if Patty and Danny could regain form.

Not much margin for error even if that happens.

The Spurs are in need of an infusion of energy -- Pao and LMA have skills not energy.

Bertans and Murray may have to step up quick to inject some life. Bertans is more ready but Murray has a higher upside. Pop may have to bite his tongue and live with the havoc (good and bad) that Murray can create.

Forbes will do everything that his small frame might allow to try to contribute.

The Spurs need to find another Danny Green or another Patty Mills. That's the way they win (when they win).

baseline bum
10-15-2016, 02:32 PM

I'm starting to expect this to be who Green is. He was an incredible shooter under The Beautiful Game, but I guess he's just not going to get those kind of shots running The Ugly Iso Game. I still wouldn't trade him though considering how great he is defending the 1 & 2. Parker is the one this team has to replace.

Robz4000
10-15-2016, 02:34 PM
As long as Green turns it on in the playoffs like last year, he's untouchable.

10-15-2016, 02:43 PM
It's no secret that the Spurs will be worse than last year. They basically wiped their bench and are having tryouts this year to see which rookies or fringe NBA players can make it.

Pretty sure the Spurs just punted this year and are going through a mini rebuild of the bench.

SAGirl
10-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Who are you going to trade Gambit and for whom?

Again all your backend of the roster players are very cheap, some rookies (I don't think Spurs trade rookies in their first season based off preseason games :lol -- so as much as some want LJC traded for example, I can't see it.)

Obviously if you lose a top player in the league the team will struggle, but keep in mind the last game against the Magic, Kawhi didn't play and the Spurs won that game.

This game Kawhi played (the guy who didn't play was LMA). Kiwi didn't shoot well and TO the ball 5 times. Not to bag on Kiwi, but it was poor execution all around, veterans included.

What I see here is this:
http://i.imgur.com/IJnxZ3w.gif

benefactor
10-15-2016, 03:17 PM
What I see here is this:
I've been here over 8 years. Believe me, it's an ST tradition.

Cry Havoc
10-15-2016, 03:22 PM
It's no secret that the Spurs will be worse than last year. They basically wiped their bench and are having tryouts this year to see which rookies or fringe NBA players can make it.

Pretty sure the Spurs just punted this year and are going through a mini rebuild of the bench.

I think at least with the starting 5 we stand a good chance of being better. Might have the 2nd best starting 5 in the league this year with LMA and Kawhi given additional time to gel. Remember, Kawhi definitely hasn't peaked yet.

The bench is the big question mark. I think our starting 5 are good enough to take us to the WCF. But I can't see us outlasting GSW.

SAGirl
10-15-2016, 03:26 PM

Not true, if they were doing that, they wouldn't have re-signed Manu, or Lee, both too old to be here for long and maybe just this season, (If Lee plays well he will want to get paid one last time and the Spurs should not). If they were really rebuilding and punting they would play everyone else, Murray would take Manu's spot and Bertans would take Lee's.

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 03:28 PM
What I see here is this:

I've been here over 8 years. Believe me, it's an ST tradition.

neither of you know how to read?

and you're wrong again sagirl, Ws and Ls in the preseason don't matter. however our preseason record turns out doesn't concern me at all and has nothing to do with this thread. you don't know very much and i'm surprised you still constantly act like you do.

SAGirl
10-15-2016, 03:30 PM

and you're wrong again sagirl, Ws and Ls in the preseason don't matter. however our preseason record turns out doesn't concern me at all and has nothing to do with this thread. you don't know very much and i'm surprised you still constantly act like you do.

:lol oh well, I guess party on.

benefactor
10-15-2016, 03:44 PM

Shut the fuck up you fucking faggot

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Shut the fuck up you fucking faggot
i don't have to call you anything, you agreeing with sagirl speaks for itself.

sananspursfan21
10-15-2016, 03:56 PM
It's no secret that the Spurs will be worse than last year. They basically wiped their bench and are having tryouts this year to see which rookies or fringe NBA players can make it.Pretty sure the Spurs just punted this year and are going through a mini rebuild of the bench.

I could be entirely wrong but how often have we said this before as fans? This team is excellent at "rebuilding on the fly", seamlessly. I actually think we could see a solid product on the court this year. I'm excited to watch Bertans play. The Klaw is coming into form as a leader. LMA will do what is expected of him (maybe give a little more effort on the defensive end). Pau will be good for what's expected of him. Simmons has shown flashes but I'm not sure about him or Deadman. I know everyone's pretty hard on him but a lot of media guys are expecting Kyle to really contribute and have a breakout season (whatever that means in his case).

As for punting the season, you may be absolutely right. But I kinda thought they did that in 2012 when we saw Boris, SJax, and Patty Mills infused mid season and look how that turned out for us. Immediate improvement and the next two seasons were trips to the finals following a ref screw job at the hands of the Thunder. All in all, I can't wait and the suspense is killing me.

benefactor
10-15-2016, 04:02 PM
i don't have to call you anything, you agreeing with sagirl speaks for itself.
I'm not the faggot who made a post with a bunch of cliffjumping, then proceeded to try to cover his own ass by saying he wasn't. Dumbasses like you do this same shit every year, just like I said.

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm not the faggot who made a post with a bunch of cliffjumping, then proceeded to try to cover his own ass by saying he wasn't. Dumbasses like you do this same shit every year, just like I said.
you have no idea what you're talking about.

if i was cliff diving i wouldn't have a problem saying it.

you don't know shit.

benefactor
10-15-2016, 04:12 PM
you have no idea what you're talking about.

if i was cliff diving i wouldn't have a problem saying it.

you don't know shit.
Well I know what you said. Want to see it again? Here's you being a pussy ass cliffjumper:

-not a fan of parker

-off the bench we'll be counting on: a 39 year old, anderson + simmons, and two rookies...

Here's you being a faggot and backtracking:

Pretty fucking cut and dry if you ask me.

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 04:18 PM
what a fucking loser :lol it is cut and dry, i said i was making observations.

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 04:20 PM
i haven't even backtracked at all you stupid fuck. i haven't changed my mind about anything i posted.

the team has has issues, i pointed them out. get the fuck outta here clown.

benefactor
10-15-2016, 04:26 PM
:cry I'm not a cliffjumper because I said I wasn't :cry

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 04:52 PM
^that c u n t thinks pointing out issues = cliff jumping :lol

benefactor
10-15-2016, 05:00 PM
:lol you acting like a pussy
:lol raging after being called out about it

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 05:29 PM
:lol you acting like a pussy
:lol raging after being called out about it
not raging. it's just that you're dead wrong and annoying.

Silver&Black
10-15-2016, 09:23 PM
:fishing

K...
10-15-2016, 09:38 PM
I was wondering how op was Going to make this a thread about himself. It did not take long.

gambit1990
10-15-2016, 10:35 PM
I was wondering how op was Going to make this a thread about himself. It did not take long.
a) your life must be pathetic, i don't think about you at all.
b) read the title, thread has nothing to do with me. this is concerning the roster.

10-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Not true, if they were doing that, they wouldn't have re-signed Manu, or Lee, both too old to be here for long and maybe just this season, (If Lee plays well he will want to get paid one last time and the Spurs should not). If they were really rebuilding and punting they would play everyone else, Murray would take Manu's spot and Bertans would take Lee's.
Manu's signing was a loyalty signing and still better than whatever player they could find from the scrap heap. Manu's signing also had no effect on the Spurs' ability to sign other FA's since he was re-signed over the cap.

Lee is a fringe NBA player himself and just there to compete with the other fringe NBA players and rookies. The bench can range anywhere from pretty damn terrible to above average. Even Joel Anthony looks competitive to make the roster... that should tell you something.

SAGirl
10-15-2016, 11:29 PM
Manu's signing was a loyalty signing and still better than whatever player they could find from the scrap heap. Manu's signing also had no effect on the Spurs' ability to sign other FA's since he was re-signed over the cap.

Lee is a fringe NBA player himself and just there to compete with the other fringe NBA players and rookies. The bench can range anywhere from pretty damn terrible to above average. Even Joel Anthony looks competitive to make the roster... that should tell you something.
I don't disagree on both, Manu or Lee. I just thought that if they were really punting they would come in with a mentality to play their youth and not be that concerned about vets, but you have made me rethink my perspective in the sense that Spurs will make the newer players in the roster earn a role the tough way, and the ones who have a role have to play well to maintain it.

Anyways, I have a prediction on Lee and it will be unpopular among others bc the hate of Kyle Anderson goes so inexplicably deep here that he gets blamed for everything ailing the bench. Lee's lack of a jumpshot at this point has such a negative effect on lineups playing with him that he's the very definition of a garbage stats player. He will get his stats but everyone else playing around him is made worse. He clogs driving lanes. He makes everyone playing in the perimeter easier to defend.

Lee thrived offensively in just a few games for the Mavs (small sample size playing about 15 mins per game, but he was still overall a negative for that team, they were better playing others like Mejri and Powell).

Anyways, the hope for the bench rests on Bertans and Anderson hitting their stride. I waver on J.simms myself quite a bit, bc while his athleticism is welcomed, he seems unable to make the right decisions with the ball and his mistakes are tiring at this point. At some point Pop is also going to have enough with that.

YGWHI
10-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Who else in the West is going to be good other than the Warriors? If we're healthy come playoff time we should make the WCF.

Clippers still need an elite wing and a bench to compete with Warriors.

Rockets? Even playing the worst defense in the league, I think they would be enough 'cause his 'new' offense, to rank #4/5 in the West

Dallas will improve but not over #6/7 seed

Portland has the youth and athleticism in backcourt that Spurs lack but nothing more than that.

Zach Lowe and many others say this is Utah Jazz year, I don't think so.

OKC without KD = #7/8

Memphis' health is a big question mark

YGWHI
10-16-2016, 09:10 PM
What I see here is this:

Sure, we're on ST panic mode.

However, I'm still concerned about this Spurs new season and their

-defense

-two main guards 73 years old together

-bench performance on both ends

cutewizard
10-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Bertans will improve the bench.....

cutewizard
10-16-2016, 09:43 PM
In Pop we trust!

ElNono
10-16-2016, 11:38 PM
you can always watch beisbol, tbh

J_Paco
10-17-2016, 11:18 AM
The team definitely has issues and flaws, but unless they are ravaged by injuries they'll still contend for a top 3 seed.

The lack of a quality 4th swingman and frontcourt depth could become issues too. I think the roster is good enough to compete and they are finally bringing in younger/overseas talent.

I expect Kawhi to be a top 2 MVP candidate and his playmaking to reach another tier.

Chinook
10-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Don't find this thread too different from the West PtR thread last year. If the Spurs fail, it seems really obvious how that's going to happen. A lot of folks like Lowe are expecting the team to take a step back. I don't agree with them in the context to their relative place in the league for their starting front court. But the bench is a work in progress and will be until they find a successor for Manu. Neither Murray nor Simmons seems capable of that in the immediate future. But once that happens, I think it will be well worth it.

I feel like they could use some talent for their bench, but the issue with behind under the cap two seasons in a row is that they just don't have the expendable contracts. Only two scenarios where they can get that talent look like this: 1) They get a bought out player who happens to be a starting-level scorer (Rudy Gay seems like the most likely) but who doesn't go to GS; and 2) The Spurs trade one of their players plus assets for a significantly better player who plays the same position (Like Parker-plus for Lowry; Dedmon-plus for Noel; or if you're on RealGM, Green-plus for Hayward).

mookie2001
10-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Hope we can win the roster championship

gambit1990
10-17-2016, 01:56 PM
hoping pop isn't intending on having anderson/lma/gasol on the floor at the same time for a considerable amount of minutes.

waisman
10-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Gasol and Lee are rental .
Manu is retire .

Hoops Czar
10-17-2016, 02:34 PM
It's not the roster. It's Pop and his inability to make adjustments. For the third year in a row, it's going to be 75% ISO and post-ups and that will be good enough to win 55-60 games during the regular season in a watered down league but will be easily defendable in the postseason when defenses stiffen. The only way to combat this issue is to have a prolific three point shooting attack which the Spurs don't have. Danny Green can't function in a halfcourt set. Patty Mills is inconsistent and while Kawhi can shoot three's at a high percentage, he's not a high volume shooter. Meanwhile, the Spurs are getting P'wned in the paint where they've been outscored handily in all but one preseason game (vs Atlanta's backups). Lack of penetration + few cuts to the basket = very few easy shot opportunities.

Chinook
10-17-2016, 02:41 PM
When did the PnR stop being a half-court play?

Hoops Czar
10-17-2016, 03:09 PM
When did the PnR stop being a half-court play?

Still effective but, not the driving force it once was. It's why the Spurs can smash bad teams with mediocre to bad defenses but, look very mortal against elite teams with quality defenses and better athletes. How did the PnR look against OKC?

SAGirl
10-17-2016, 03:12 PM
It's not the roster. It's Pop and his inability to make adjustments. For the third year in a row, it's going to be 75% ISO and post-ups and that will be good enough to win 55-60 games during the regular season in a watered down league but will be easily defendable in the postseason when defenses stiffen. The only way to combat this issue is to have a prolific three point shooting attack which the Spurs don't have. Danny Green can't function in a halfcourt set. Patty Mills is inconsistent and while Kawhi can shoot three's at a high percentage, he's not a high volume shooter. Meanwhile, the Spurs are getting P'wned in the paint where they've been outscored handily in all but one preseason game (vs Atlanta's backups). Lack of penetration + few cuts to the basket = very few easy shot opportunities.

I have actually seen 75% of PnR by everybody and only a few post ups for Gasol and LMA (Kawhi hasn't even...) Gasol passes very well from post ups and moves the ball. It's really only LMA who has been posting up and its a small number of possessions.

Hoops Czar
10-17-2016, 03:22 PM
I have actually seen 75% of PnR by everybody and only a few post ups for Gasol and LMA (Kawhi hasn't even...) Gasol passes very well from post ups and moves the ball. It's really only LMA who has been posting up and its a small number of possessions.

Gasol is an excellent passer and the ball movement is better than last year but, without penetration, it's going to result in a lot of forced jumpshots with clock running down. Btw, is it just me or is Kawhi settling for a lot more 3-pointers this year? He should be attacking the paint everytime he touches the ball.

tonight...you
10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Gasol and Lee are rental .
Manu is retire .
... kobyz?

SAGirl
10-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Plus my point on the panic button is that it's early. Preseason is for experiments and there are many guys getting playing time that will get cut. It makes it tougher to judge the adequacy of lineups, chemistry, and what not.

The bench is probably better than it looks bc they have played so many guys trying to make the team as it is and they need a shot to show what they have too. Seeing how it all comes together is part of the interest of the regular season TBH. Or if you are too pessimistic, as Elnono said there's always something else to watch. :tu

SAGirl
10-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Gasol is an excellent passer and the ball movement is better than last year but, without penetration, it's going to result in a lot of forced jumpshots with clock running down. Btw, is it just me or is Kawhi settling for a lot more 3-pointers this year? He should be attacking the paint everytime he touches the ball.

He's looked great and has been drawing fouls off the dribble more often than last season on post ups. Other than the last game where he was off but drew a lot of fouls it is hard to make a judgment IMO. Again when Lee plays the paint is crowded for others for example and I think fitting Lee is part of the preseason equation.

gambit1990
10-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Plus my point on the panic button is that it's early. Preseason is for experiments and there are many guys getting playing time that will get cut. It makes it tougher to judge the adequacy of lineups, chemistry, and what not.
we know it's preseason. this thread isn't about how the team is playing right now.

HarlemHeat37
10-17-2016, 04:15 PM
The NBA is pretty easy to predict, tbh..even last year, which gave us one of the biggest upsets in Finals history, the big upset featured the preseason Vegas favorite defeating the Finals favorite:lol

You always get 2-5 legit contenders + fringe contenders, with the rest being pretenders or nowhere near the title..this year, the Warriors and Cavs are the obvious legit contenders, and the Clippers/Spurs are probably the fringe contenders..

spursistan
10-17-2016, 05:28 PM
The NBA is pretty easy to predict, tbh..even last year, which gave us one of the biggest upsets in Finals history, the big upset featured the preseason Vegas favorite defeating the Finals favorite:lol

You always get 2-5 legit contenders + fringe contenders, with the rest being pretenders or nowhere near the title..this year, the Warriors and Cavs are the obvious legit contenders, and the Clippers/Spurs are probably the fringe contenders..

To be fair: just by virtue of being in the East; otherwise i think a 7 gamer between the Spurs/Cavs i would favor the one with home court..We have the trump card of prime Kawhi sicced on a 32 year-old Lebron and just let the softies and cancers on both sides duke it out :lol..

As always for the Spurs, getting out of the West is the real challenge..they need one of Durant/Curry to be hobbled or out to have a chance..But their immediate goal should be to push for HC against the Clippers assuming everything goes smoothly for GSW ..

gambit1990
10-18-2016, 01:13 AM
that benefactor bitch never even countered a point i made in the original post :lol

he just repeated the same thing over and over because that's how you win an argument in his eyes :lol

benefactor
10-18-2016, 11:22 AM
that benefactor bitch never even countered a point i made in the original post :lol

he just repeated the same thing over and over because that's how you win an argument in his eyes :lol
:lol still on your mind two days later

SAGirl
10-18-2016, 12:00 PM
I feel like they could use some talent for their bench, but the issue with behind under the cap two seasons in a row is that they just don't have the expendable contracts. Only two scenarios where they can get that talent look like this: 1) They get a bought out player who happens to be a starting-level scorer (Rudy Gay seems like the most likely) but who doesn't go to GS; and 2) The Spurs trade one of their players plus assets for a significantly better player who plays the same position (Like Parker-plus for Lowry; Dedmon-plus for Noel; or if you're on RealGM, Green-plus for Hayward).

They have shed guys two seasons in a row, absolutely everybody that they could spare, they have spared. All these trade Anderson and Simmons threads are absolutely ridiculous. They don't make enough to bring anyone back that will be worth it on their own, and you lose what insider knowledge they have and then Pop has to train someone, so he's not trading a youngster for another youngster. There have been possibilities out there like Norris Cole (who signed in China I think), MCW, etc. There have been guys out there, but they are not clear upgrades. It's not evident that they will be better than what the Spurs have. There is too much hate on them in here, when Pop sees them daily and knows what they have.

Personally, I am hoping Bertans and Anderson step up and start playing well enough midseason to shelve Lee. Last season Diaw was starting to get shelved himself at times, so it's within the realm of possibility. It's not just about the youth, Lee doesn't make others around him better, I can't stress that enough. His passing is not sufficient to compensate for how difficult he makes matters for guys that like to get to the rim and I have a feeling when the season starts we are getting Celtics Lee 1.0. Spurs won't take off until he's shelved.

gambit1990
10-19-2016, 03:48 AM
:lol still on your mind two days later
you're trash and will be treated as such.

don't give me your opinion unless i ask for it.

benefactor
10-19-2016, 06:05 AM
Trash that trolled the shit out of you with very little effort and had you thinking about me days later.

You're a nobody...just one face in a large grey crowd that has cycled through this place over the years. I can't remember caring about a single one of your takes. I walked in this thread like Simon Phoenix and bullied your ass, urinated on you and walked away. Perhaps a couple of days from now, the smell of my piss will still be fresh in your nose and you'll bump this thread again trying to claim some sort of victory.

gambit1990
10-19-2016, 06:52 AM
Trash that trolled the shit out of you with very little effort and had you thinking about me days later.

You're a nobody...just one face in a large grey crowd that has cycled through this place over the years. I can't remember caring about a single one of your takes. I walked in this thread like Simon Phoenix and bullied your ass, urinated on you and walked away. Perhaps a couple of days from now, the smell of my piss will still be fresh in your nose and you'll bump this thread again trying to claim some sort of victory.
:lmao

no one gives a shit about what you have to say, get the fuck over yourself.

you bumping this after this after the la rumors :lol

you think this roster is bulletproof? fucking retard.

gambit1990
10-19-2016, 06:57 AM
that benefactor bitch has shit pouring from his mouth. none of it is basketball related.

gambit1990
10-19-2016, 06:59 AM
try having a basketball take c u n t. or just go ahead and write another paragraph that only impresses you.

learn your place.

ducks
10-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Was tonight a fluke

gambit1990
10-25-2016, 11:34 PM
Was tonight a fluke
no. just shows how much we don't need parker. nothing new.

gambit1990
12-23-2016, 02:47 AM
my assessment before the season started:

-not a fan of parker

glad with how spry david lee is looking, and dedmon looks likes he's made strides since the first game.

last season i wanted a trade... spurs will need one (or two) even more this season imo.