PDA

View Full Version : Bush claimed God told him to invade Iraq, Afghanistan: BBC

LittleGeneral
10-06-2005, 05:34 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051006/en_afp/mideastbritainusiraq;_ylt=ApOMILHutFytgXET8hQsKmgD W7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

LONDON (AFP) - US President George W. Bush allegedly said God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, a new BBC documentary will reveal, according to details.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bush made the claim when he met Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas and then foreign minister Nabil Shaath in June 2003, the ministers told the documentary series to be broadcast in Britain later this month.

The US leader also told them he had been ordered by God to create a Palestinian state, the ministers said.

Shaath, now the Palestinian information minister, said: " President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God.

'God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.'

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq...' And I did.

"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God I'm gonna do it'," said Shaath.

Abbas, who was also at the meeting in the Egyptian resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, recalled how the president told him: "I have a moral and religious obligation.

"So I will get you a Palestinian state."

A BBC spokesman said the content of the programme had been put to the White House but it had refused to comment on a private conversation.

The three-part series, "Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs", charts the attempts to bring peace to the Middle East, from former US president Bill Clinton's peace talks in 1999-2000 to Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza strip.

The programme speaks to presidents and prime ministers, their generals and ministers, about what happened behind closed doors as the peace talks failed and the intifada grew.

The series is due to be screened in Britain on October 10, 17 and 24.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Good thing for the american public Bush is a member of Bohemian Grove, and his god is the devil.

samikeyp
10-06-2005, 05:50 PM
God told me to eat that third piece of cheesecake...no wait, that was LJ. :lol

cecil collins
10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
So it turns out that god is the fucking moron...wow.

mookie2001
10-06-2005, 07:13 PM
:pctoss Bush that bastard

scott
10-06-2005, 08:02 PM
We are lucky to have such a great leader...

Nbadan
10-06-2005, 10:45 PM
'I'm driven with a mission from God.

'God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.'

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq...' And I did.

:wtf

Ummm...if anyone seriously thinks God speaks directly to them and just to them, and tells them to go invade a country, there is likely something really, really not right there.

scott
10-06-2005, 10:56 PM
:wtf

Ummm...if anyone seriously thinks God speaks directly to them and just to them, and tells them to go invade a country, there is likely something really, really not right there.

Bullshit.

Signed,

Pat Robertson

Nbadan
10-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Well, except for Pat Robertson. Of Course, God talks directly to Pat.

The W.H. is denying the President said this though...

White House: Bush didn`t make God claim
By UPI

WASHINGTON, United States (UPI) -- The White House denied Thursday that President Bush said God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan and to ensure the creation of a Palestinian state.

'He`s never made such comments,' said White House spokesman Scott McClellan.

Palestinian negotiator Nabil Shaath says in a BBC documentary scheduled for release next week Bush told him during a 2003 meeting with Palestinians he was 'driven with a mission from God.'

'President Bush said to all of us: `I`m driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan. And I did, and then God would tell me, George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq... And I did.'

News (http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/printer_1053045.php)

Another story debunked(?)

:hat

Nbadan
10-06-2005, 11:06 PM
..but apparently, Scotty McClellan is a couple of years late debunking these comments...

Road Map in the Back Seat?
By Al Kamen
Friday, June 27, 2003; Page A27

Imagine our surprise Wednesday to read in the Israeli paper Haaretz (online), that Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Abu Mazen, meeting recently with militants to enlist their support for a truce with Israel, said that, when they met in Aqaba, President Bush had told him this: " God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam < Hussein>, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

So who needs to find WMD or a link with al Qaeda when the orders come from The Highest Authority?

Two calls to the White House for clarification went unreturned, but colleague Glenn Kessler did some digging. The Haaretz reporter, Arnon Regular, read what the paper said were minutes of the Palestinians' meeting to Kessler and another colleague, who is an Arabic speaker.

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37944-2003Jun26?language=printer)

Maybe God told him not too do it sooner?

nkdlunch
10-06-2005, 11:43 PM
It was probably Rove's voice on a hidden speaker. Bush thought it was God! :lol

smeagol
10-07-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm no Bush fan, but in this case I belive the the report of full of shit (or maybe the sources are full of shit).

Hook Dem
10-07-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm no Bush fan, but in this case I belive the the report of full of shit (or maybe the sources are full of shit).
Smeagol does his own thinking!

boutons
10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
No way to prove this unless it was recorded, but it's not so farfetched for an imbecile simpleton, aka "the nation's idiot", to imagine dubya saying this, playing his "God card" with these 2 Muslims.

He "thinks", or least says, alternatives to evotution should be taught in schools, but I'm sure as fuck sure he doesn't give a shit about evolution, alternatives, or schools, so his thinking God speaks to him to go kill Muslims is well within his limited range of bullshit ideas.

The WH is furiously denying "God told dubya to go to war", of course.

Spurminator
10-07-2005, 09:51 AM
I think the statements as they are reported/quoted are a bit far-fetched, but they may just be poor rephrasings of something Bush actually said... It's not unlikely that Bush believes he has a "calling" or that he is doing "God's will."

xrayzebra
10-07-2005, 10:04 AM
I think the statements as they are reported/quoted are a bit far-fetched, but they may just be poor rephrasings of something Bush actually said... It's not unlikely that Bush believes he has a "calling" or that he is doing "God's will."

BBC about says it all. Such a good source now days when it comes to the United States. Even Blair knows their reputation.

2pac
10-07-2005, 10:05 AM
We all know how credible Islamic Nation's Information Ministers are.

http://www.dynart.com/jorge/imagens/iraqi_information_minister.jpg

smeagol
10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Smeagol does his own thinking!
Hook,

I'm not that stupid. :lol

ChumpDumper
10-07-2005, 11:16 AM
God could not be reached for comment.

smeagol
10-07-2005, 11:16 AM
No way to prove this unless it was recorded, but it's not so farfetched for an imbecile simpleton, aka "the nation's idiot", to imagine dubya saying this, playing his "God card" with these 2 Muslims.

He "thinks", or least says, alternatives to evotution should be taught in schools, but I'm sure as fuck sure he doesn't give a shit about evolution, alternatives, or schools, so his thinking God speaks to him to go kill Muslims is well within his limited range of bullshit ideas.

The WH is furiously denying "God told dubya to go to war", of course.
Please for once try to be objective.

Nbadan
10-11-2005, 02:31 AM
‘Out of the Loop’ On Iraq, Almighty Says

Days after the BBC reported that President George W. Bush claimed God told him to invade Iraq, the Almighty held a rare press conference today to say that He was “totally out of the loop” on the March 2003 invasion.

Reporters packed a meeting room at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Washington, D.C. to hear the angry denial of the Supreme Being, who had not held a press conference in over half a year.

Dressed in a white robe and sporting his trademark long, flowing beard, God told a reporter that the president’s version of events was “bogus,” adding, “Dude, I don’t even know the guy.”

In what some saw as a particularly sarcastic rebuke of the president, God offered this possible explanation of Mr. Bush’s claim that He had told him to invade Iraq: “Maybe he has me confused with Dick Cheney.”

Borowitz Report (http://www.borowitzreport.com/default.asp)

Cant_Be_Faded
10-11-2005, 11:40 AM
:pctoss Bush that bastard

mookie used a smiley