PDA

View Full Version : Efficient way turning co2 into ethanol found

InRareForm
10-18-2016, 02:54 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a23417/convert-co2-into-ethanol/

boutons_deux
10-18-2016, 03:00 PM
so the ethanol is "widely used" as fuel, producing CO2, brilliant! :lol

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Make a great eco-still for getting a buzz. Eco-Shine? Sunshine instead of moonshine?

spurraider21
10-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Click the links and get to the original paper. Then read the last sentence of the conclusion

pgardn
10-18-2016, 04:49 PM
so the ethanol is "widely used" as fuel, producing CO2, brilliant! :lol

Another example of people who don't understand science giving a very deceiving header to an article. The important part is the novel use of catalysts, not turning CO2 to ethanol. But most people don't find the catalyst part newsworthy for the public so... embellish.

Its somewhat like your misunderstanding of GMOs all being harmful while probably having personally taken an antibiotic produced by a GMO.

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Still, a super pure ethanol could be a hangover free buzz. Look how much people will pay for Vodka that has been filtered multiple times.

boutons_deux
10-18-2016, 04:58 PM
Another example of people who don't understand science giving a very deceiving header to an article. The important part is the novel use of catalysts, not turning CO2 to ethanol. But most people don't find the catalyst part newsworthy for the public so... embellish.

Its somewhat like your misunderstanding of GMOs all being harmful while probably having personally taken an antibiotic produced by a GMO.

Golden rice? :lol still ain't not achieving its objectives, and it probably never will.

GMO plants, foods may not be the problem (verdict not reached), but the Ms of tons BigChem poisons poured on them IS THE PROBLEM, along with enslaving farmers world-wide to BigChem, killing their self-sufficiency, independence.

Wild Cobra
10-18-2016, 04:59 PM
I'm not impressed with the volume rate. The coulombic efficiency is great, but how do you scale such a thing up to be useful?

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Tito's is like $40 for 1.75 liters.

Wild Cobra
10-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Tito's is like $40 for 1.75 liters.

This process would likely cost $40,000,000 just to produce that much an hour.

pgardn
10-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Golden rice? :lol still ain't not achieving its objectives, and it probably never will.

GMO plants, foods may not be the problem (verdict not reached), but the Ms of tons BigChem poisons poured on them IS THE PROBLEM, along with enslaving farmers world-wide to BigChem, killing their self-sufficiency, independence.

What poison was poured on the GMO bacteria that produce antibiotics for humans?

You Lump shit in one giant category.
And so you want to trash golden rice? It's a dead end? This is not how science works.

pgardn
10-18-2016, 05:06 PM
This process would likely cost $40,000,000 just to produce that much an hour.

Jesus H. Christ this is NOT what it's about.

It's just about the fact they could get the stated atoms to catalyze a rxn at room temp.

Wild Cobra
10-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Jesus H. Christ this is NOT what it's about.

It's just about the fact they could get the stated atoms to catalyze a rxn at room temp.

I know. I was joking at the cost for ethanol, vs. the $40 bottle.

I'm just disappointing its so small scale. I wonder how expensive it would be to be useful.

pgardn
10-18-2016, 05:26 PM

I'm just disappointing its so small scale. I wonder how expensive it would be to be useful.

Bottling before denaturing could be cool for the whole lab.

Party on.

DMC
10-18-2016, 06:48 PM

Of course you do..then goes on to illustrate he hasn't the foggiest...

:lmao

coloumbic efficiency....

Wild Cobra
10-18-2016, 11:57 PM
coloumbic efficiency....

Hey, that is real. Generally applied to batteries, but indicts how much energy is stored in the process.

http://www.openelectrical.org/wiki/index.php?title=Coloumbic_Efficiency

DMC
10-19-2016, 12:05 AM
^