PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Waivers 2016

Pages : [1] 2

raybies
10-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Any interest in players being waived, share here, please.

Some players I had interest in before that have been waived:
Ben Bentil
J.p. Tokoto
Damien Inglis
Spencer Dinwiddie
Will Bynum

Boston is dangling James Young or RJ Hunter for a second round pick. I'd take either in a heart beat. Especially Hunter.

Not sure if anyone is worth it on the first list, I liked Bentil but Young or Hunter would be good for depth.

Just some interest.

apalisoc_9
10-21-2016, 03:43 PM
They're waived for a reason...

raybies
10-21-2016, 03:44 PM

raybies
10-21-2016, 03:47 PM

True about my first list but James Young and RJ Hunter are legit talents that are being offered because Boston's stockpile of assets is on the verge of backfiring, especially if teams don't want to make a deal cause they know they can have them on the waiver wire.

Maddog
10-21-2016, 04:00 PM
True about my first list but James Young and RJ Hunter are legit talents that are being offered because Boston's stockpile of assets is on the verge of backfiring, especially if teams don't want to make a deal cause they know they can have them on the waiver wire.

James Young has had two years to make an impression. Still very young 20. Hunter- there was always a concern how his game would translate to the NBA. The fact they are bailing on both, is telling.

spursistan
10-21-2016, 04:08 PM
Danny Ainge is desperate AF, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if he was the who planted the Aldridge-not-happy rumor...

TD 21
10-21-2016, 05:31 PM
Should the Celtics be unsuccessful in acquiring a 2nd for Young or Hunter and one is waived and not claimed by one of the other 28 teams who'd have a chance to before the Spurs, they'd at least be worth considering.

Dex
10-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Spurs are already log-jammed as it is.

My gut tells me they go with Anthony. If they happen to make the executive decision to waive Simmons or LJC (which would be expensive, but probably worth the cost), I think Forbes is next in line...but it's a toss up between him and Lapro.

Anybody who doesn't get waived, or anybody in this thread, has an open spot in Austin tbh.

tonight...you
10-21-2016, 05:37 PM

My gut tells me they go with Anthony. If they happen to make the executive decision to waive Simmons or LJC (which would be expensive, but probably worth the cost), I think Forbes is next in line...but it's a toss up between him and Lapro.

Anybody who doesn't get waived, or anybody in this thread, has an open spot in Austin tbh.
I get the feeling Lapdog will head off to Europe, before playing in Austin. I could be wrong though...

Spur|n|Austin
10-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Agreed on Anthony, they will keep him purely out of experience. He also hasn't looked too shabby this offseason.

MaNu4Tres
10-21-2016, 05:48 PM
There's going to be many interesting prospects becoming available. Going to be interesting to see what Spurs will do.

If I'm SA, I shop Patty to a hopeful playoff team for their 1st or a lottery team ( Sixers) for their 2nd. Make room for Laprovitolla and sign him to a cheap 800K 3-4 year deal to compete w/ Murray for back up PG spot next year ( think Lapro is more ready now).

That would open up a spot w/ Laprovitolla on the roster.

If Prigioni can carve a back up role in the NBA, Lapro can. Lapro is younger and more versatile offensively with the same motor on D.

tbdog
10-21-2016, 05:49 PM

We are over the cap but under the tax by about 3 mil so it doesn't really matter if we have to pay Simmons or LJC then pay say Frobes and Anthony. As long as we stay under the tax. And remember we can take back 125% of matching salary in a trade. So that is when the tax threshold could become an issue.

tonight...you
10-21-2016, 05:50 PM
There's going to be many interesting prospects becoming available. Going to be interesting to see what Spurs will do.

If I'm SA, I shop Patty to a hopeful playoff team for their 1st or a lottery team ( Sixers) for their 2nd. Make room for Laprovitolla and sign him to a cheap 800K 3-4 year deal to compete w/ Murray for back up PG spot next year ( think Lapro is more ready now).

That would open up a spot w/ Laprovitolla on the roster.

If Prigioni can carve a back up role in the NBA, Lapro can. Lapro is younger and more versatile offensively with the same motor on D.
Yeah... that's a good idea. imo. Really good, upon further reflection...

MaNu4Tres
10-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Yeah... that's a good idea. imo. Really good, upon further reflection...

Also, Patty is due to make 9-11 mil per year next summer (if his agent does his job right). Plans to pay him make absolutely no sense from an economical stand point. Especially when they drafted Murray ( who will be making 1/10th of Pattys soon to be market value), and when they have Laprovittola more than capable to fill in a back up role now, and at worst, compete for it next year (if Murray progresses quickly and Spurs have to play him).

DPG21920
10-21-2016, 05:56 PM
My dude Manu4 wants to trade everyone :lol

I prefer to have a good team this year...

FkLA
10-21-2016, 05:57 PM
I'd take RJ Hunter over ScrubMo in a heartbeat.

tonight...you
10-21-2016, 05:58 PM

If you think the difference between Patty and Lapdog is what makes this team good, or not... I just don't know what to say.
As far as this particular topic of conversation is being concerned with...

FkLA
10-21-2016, 06:00 PM

Yeah, that was my reaction to his post as well. First LMA now Paddy. Dude is super eager to blow it the fuck up. :lol

Mel_13
10-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Spurs can't claim any player that makes more than the minimum. Both Celtic players make more than that. They also can't trade for either player without sending salary back in return, something that Boston doesn't want.

As to Lapro, he is under a minimum contract. If he is not waived, that contract remains in force. Even if it didn't, the Spurs can't sign him, or any free agent, to anything other than a minimum deal.

Kawhitstorm
10-21-2016, 06:18 PM

RJ Hunter is a less athletic version of Bertans.:wakeup

MaNu4Tres
10-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Yeah, that was my reaction to his post as well. First LMA now Paddy. Dude is super eager to blow it the fuck up. :lol

Trading Patty would be blowing it up? Wow. I can't agree there.

Patty is overrated on this board for his shot making in the 2014 run. He's a damn good shooter but that's the extent of what he does above average on the offensive end. On defense, he doesn't have the size to be as effective as his heart wants to be.

Patty is a great guy, and I understand there's a sentimental side that inflates his value, but there's not a huge significance difference between him and what I've seen from Lapro. IMO Trading him is in no way blowing it up.

And where did I say I want LaMarcus traded? All I did was comment on the scenario that was rumored and explored that side of it.

MaNu4Tres
10-21-2016, 06:24 PM

The only guy I said I'd trade is Patty based on the impressive play of Laprovittola. Edit: And Anderson as well. Both guys are outliers that wouldn't blow up the team if moved. IMO.

Everything I said on LaMarcus was hypothetical if the rumors were to be true.

tonight...you
10-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Trading Patty would be blowing it up? Wow. I can't agree there.

Patty is overrated on this board for his shot making in the 2014 run. He's a damn good shooter but that's the extent of what he does above average on the offensive end. On defense, he doesn't have the size to be as effective as his heart wants to be.

Patty is a great guy, and I understand there's a sentimental side that inflates his value, but there's not a huge significance difference between him and what I've seen from Lapro. IMO Trading him is in no way blowing it up.

And where did I say I want LaMarcus traded? All I did was comment on the scenario that was rumored and explored that side of it.
You and I butted heads in that thread, but I knew you weren't out and out advocating to trade LMA. We were just debating... silly things like validity and subjective opinions and objective analysis, as it was being put out there.

But interpretive cognizance and lack of it is a real thing and we are all a victim of it more times than we like to admit.

Chinook
10-21-2016, 07:22 PM
The Spurs are going to be, what, O & 10, O & 12 until Danny gets back? Seems like a perfect time to trade the first for more value than it actually has.

tonight...you
10-21-2016, 07:27 PM
The Spurs are going to be, what, O & 10, O & 12 until Danny gets back? Seems like a perfect time to trade the first for more value than it actually has.
Lol, awesome. At the very least, my brother! Your optimism brims with the crisp taste of Folgers flavor crystals and I'm drinking it with full-on heavy cream!

HEAVY CREAM BABY!

MaNu4Tres
10-21-2016, 07:28 PM
You and I butted heads in that thread, but I knew you weren't out and out advocating to trade LMA. We were just debating... silly things like validity and subjective opinions and objective analysis, as it was being put out there.

But interpretive cognizance and lack of it is a real thing and we are all a victim of it more times than we like to admit.

:toast

:bobo

TheDoctor
10-21-2016, 07:35 PM

I'd take RJ for Simmons for sure.

Spurtacular
10-21-2016, 07:40 PM

You should be waived for a reason...

TheGreatYacht
10-21-2016, 09:00 PM
For those of you interested in RJ Hunter, Jarrell Eddie just got waived.

raybies
10-21-2016, 10:16 PM
RYAN GONE! caps

raybies
10-21-2016, 10:18 PM

apalisoc_9
10-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Lol Boston trying to grt a second rounder for RJ Hunter :lol

apalisoc_9
10-21-2016, 10:20 PM

Everyone knew this was going to happen..three more guys to waive. LJC despite his contract..dude is so deficient skill wise

Chinook
10-21-2016, 10:20 PM
I wonder why they did it so early? Maybe there is still a chance he catches on? I know they were talking about teams doing it on Saturday, but really early. Also makes me wonder what's going to happen with Richards.

BD24
10-21-2016, 10:45 PM
This^^

raybies
10-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Well in the interview with Pop, he said they would make the decision tonight.

Ice009
10-21-2016, 11:22 PM
Well in the interview with Pop, he said they would make the decision tonight.

What decision? The final roster spot decision?

raybies
10-21-2016, 11:27 PM
What decision? The final roster spot decision?

yes, ill post links

raybies
10-21-2016, 11:28 PM

toki9
10-21-2016, 11:33 PM

Well, Pop's dead fish eye interview game is in almost-regular season form. Guess he's ready to go.

raybies
10-21-2016, 11:33 PM
And think about it from this perspective, do you want these guys sweating it out all night. It's not "classy" or Spurs way imo. We'll know some point tonight.

raybies
10-21-2016, 11:34 PM
Well, Pop's dead fish eye interview game is in almost-regular season form. Guess he's ready to go.

his eyes were bloodshot.

SAGirl
10-21-2016, 11:57 PM
I wonder why they did it so early? Maybe there is still a chance he catches on? I know they were talking about teams doing it on Saturday, but really early. Also makes me wonder what's going to happen with Richards.

They just extended Kyle today too. I am thinking it's just taking care of business. Whatever it was they needed to get squared up and discuss among the coaches they have and want to move on with other things.

I remember on the Laprovittola thing, he really looked to be the front runner and was playing well, but Pop gave that interview where he said they would wait until the last game to make decisions, unless someone needed an answer sooner. Lapro definitely must have caught a good offer somewhere and had his chat with Pop and made up his mind on what was best for him. Why hold up the decision. They probably know who they want. What is going to be difficult is deciding whether they want to cut someone already under contract to get Anthony and Forbes in the team.

raybies
10-21-2016, 11:59 PM
They just extended Kyle today too. I am thinking it's just taking care of business. Whatever it was they needed to get squared up and discuss among the coaches they have and want to move on with other things.

I remember on the Laprovittola thing, he really looked to be the front runner and was playing well, but Pop gave that interview where he said they would wait until the last game to make decisions, unless someone needed an answer sooner. Lapro definitely must have caught a good offer somewhere and had his chat with Pop and made up his mind on what was best for him. Why hold up the decision. They probably know who they want. What is going to be difficult is deciding whether they want to cut someone already under contract to get Anthony and Forbes in the team.

Sign Forbes, Garino, and Anthony and cut Simmons and LJC and call it a day.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Sign Forbes, Garino, and Anthony and cut Simmons and LJC and call it a day.

I wouldn't cut LJC for Pato. He should still be there with the Toros if the team needs him. He has some things that make him a good prospect, but he has issues as well. And he's older the Livio.

raybies
10-22-2016, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't cut LJC for Pato. He should still be there with the Toros if the team needs him. He has some things that make him a good prospect, but he has issues as well. And he's older the Livio.

But, but, but, Pato can be played right now imo. Livio can't. What's he going to do on offense? Pato has an NBA skill right now, his defense albeit unrefined, and helps the ball movement. He's very close to being a 3 and D player right now. A little bit more repetitions and he could do it. Personally, although insignificant, I trust him when he's in the game. He makes few mistakes and plays very solid d. He's also at a position as of now that needs a little more bolstering.

But in my mind it's Anthony for Livio, and Garino for Simmons.

raybies
10-22-2016, 12:08 AM
The news is probably gonna be broken by Charania.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 12:13 AM
But, but, but, Pato can be played right now imo. Livio can't. What's he going to do on offense? Pato has an NBA skill right now, his defense albeit unrefined, and helps the ball movement. He's very close to being a 3 and D player right now. A little bit more repetitions and he could do it. Personally, although insignificant, I trust him when he's in the game. He makes few mistakes and plays very solid d. He's also at a position as of now that needs a little more bolstering.

Its crazy but I trust Pato more than Simmons.

Pato is not going to heroball. He's going to take a shot hit or miss, and will make decisions aimed at moving the ball. Yea he will make a mistake here or there but I have definitely liked what he has for a rookie and he's needed. I agree. He's also played in the olympics, that kind of thing steels oneself for competition.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 12:14 AM
The Simmons of last preseason could not hold a candle next to Pato TBH but I will be disappointed when Pato goes to the dleague and we keep Simmons. lol:wtf

Chinook
10-22-2016, 12:15 AM

Garino for Simmons makes sense, and Anthony in general makes sense. But the Spurs getting rid of a player whom they control for 4-9 years for a one-year, 34-year-old vet is hardly an obvious choice. There's no question that Livio doesn't look good now. But with the way guys can improve over time, you have to give him that chance, in my opinion. You don't need 15 guys who can all play now. You have to develop people too, and honestly, I'd feel more comfortable with Livio in a game than Murray right now, because at least Livio is going to make the right rotation on defense and not clog up the offense trying to do too much.

Again, though, I firmly believe Pato will be there in Austin if the Spurs need him. He's done nothing that would make another team desperate to sign him, especially over the guys who are going to get cut from other teams. And whenever the Spurs decide to sign him, they can give him the exact same deal he has already, including regaining his RFA rights. With Livio, if he's cut, he can't be brought back on the same deal.

raybies
10-22-2016, 12:21 AM
Again, though, I firmly believe Pato will be there in Austin if the Spurs need him. He's done nothing that would make another team desperate to sign him, especially over the guys who are going to get cut from other teams. And whenever the Spurs decide to sign him, they can give him the exact same deal he has already, including regaining his RFA rights. With Livio, if he's cut, he can't be brought back on the same deal.

It's a risk I'm willing to take.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 12:22 AM
It's a risk I'm willing to take.

Well, sure, you're willing to take the risk when it's not your $3 Million. :lol

raybies
10-22-2016, 12:36 AM
Well, sure, you're willing to take the risk when it's not your $3 Million. :lol

Yeah, i cracked myself up. lol

It would be uncharacteristic of PATFO to make a move like that, so I do agree. I just think for the same reasons you cut Garino can be said about LJC. No one is gonna pick up either if they are waved imo. But I disagree about one thing though, about the developing part, we already have Murray, and with so many new faces, you need options that are viable. You can't just have people occupying spots that are deadweight. We are severely thin at the center spot. Dedmon is hit or miss. Lee is more of a PF. I'm not even saying Anthony should be the one. I'd look at the waiver wire, but he's got experience. He was on the champion heat. Another champion doesn't hurt. He'll understand his role and be high character. The money makes it tough, but that doesn't mean you owe it to him. If you don't think he has it, you cut him loose and and let him have his money. I do agree that it's not a good idea to waive a guy that you have locked up, potentially, for several years but that's only something if he shows progress. I personally think him and Simmons, have showed little improvement over the last couple years but maybe they understand that they are low ceiling. If they keep either or both they must have plans for them. I think Juice is on a shorter leash though.

raybies
10-22-2016, 12:41 AM

i reached out to my sources

Chinook
10-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Yeah, i cracked myself up. lol

It would be uncharacteristic of PATFO to make a move like that, so I do agree. I just think for the same reasons you cut Garino can be said about LJC. No one is gonna pick up either if they are waved imo. But I disagree about one thing though, about the developing part, we already have Murray, and with so many new faces, you need options that are viable. You can't just have people occupying spots that are deadweight. We are severely thin at the center spot. Dedmon is hit or miss. Lee is more of a PF. I'm not even saying Anthony should be the one. I'd look at the waiver wire, but he's got experience. He was on the champion heat. Another champion doesn't hurt. He'll understand his role and be high character. The money makes it tough, but that doesn't mean you owe it to him. If you don't think he has it, you cut him loose and and let him have his money. I do agree that it's not a good idea to waive a guy that you have locked up, potentially, for several years but that's only something if he shows progress. I personally think him and Simmons, have showed little improvement over the last couple years but maybe they understand that they are low ceiling. If they keep either or both they must have plans for them. I think Juice is on a shorter leash though.

Well, we'll have to wait and see, obviously. SAEN suggested that LJC could be on the chopping block, so it won't come out of nowhere if he is cut. But remember that the Spurs can only have 13 players active for each game. So when you think about it, having a guy like Livio who's parked in Austin all year is a better use of a roster spot than a guy who's going to be in a suit behind the bench all year. If you need an emergency fill-in, you can get by with Livio just as easily as anyone else. The truth is that the only reason why Joel might make the team is because Dedmon looks shaky as the backup center. But with Lee looking good enough to spell him and Bertans showing out, the team actually has five big-man spots taken care of. Ideally, you want someone like Carl Landry over Anthony for the sixth big, but neither should play over the top five as well as Anderson and Kawhi in small-ball.

I don't see a point in paying so much money to have Murray, Arcidiacono, Pato, LJC in the d-league when you can have that same group while spending no additional money. What you risk is someone signing Pato, but even if that's the case, you have someone like Hunter, Sampson or Young, the guys in the OP and numerous other wings I don't know about. It never pays to fall too in love with 16th men. I'd much rather let Pato show that he's able to stand out in Austin before making irrevocable roster moves to protect him.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 12:55 AM

i reached out to my sources

:cheerThat guy is the most lovable Spur!
_____

Well if they can keep just one guy I think it's Forbes.
They then do Garino if they get fed up with Simmons midseason or so.
Anthony is tough to let go, but they have Dedmon and he might have been losing minutes to Lee and Bertans and might be looking like the 5th big and in and out of the rotation depending on how the other bigs are holding up and his own play.

That is my #Nostradamus prediction. I have trouble seeing them part with somebody bc they have not reached Jimmer levels, but they might. Older souls than me have educated me on Pop pimping dudes that should not have been pimped. :lol

Also, I can't help but feeling that despite the fun game and the win, Pop was in foul mood bc it's never easy to give bad news to good guys and that is what he was about to do or is getting ready to do tomorrow.

raybies
10-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Well, we'll have to wait and see, obviously. SAEN suggested that LJC could be on the chopping block, so it won't come out of nowhere if he is cut. But remember that the Spurs can only have 13 players active for each game. So when you think about it, having a guy like Livio who's parked in Austin all year is a better use of a roster spot than a guy who's going to be in a suit behind the bench all year. If you need an emergency fill-in, you can get by with Livio just as easily as anyone else. The truth is that the only reason why Joel might make the team is because Dedmon looks shaky as the backup center. But with Lee looking good enough to spell him and Bertans showing out, the team actually has five big-man spots taken care of. Ideally, you want someone like Carl Landry over Anthony for the sixth big, but neither should play over the top five as well as Anderson and Kawhi in small-ball.

I don't see a point in paying so much money to have Murray, Arcidiacono, Pato, LJC in the d-league when you can have that same group while spending no additional money. What you risk is someone signing Pato, but even if that's the case, you have someone like Hunter, Sampson or Young, the guys in the OP and numerous other wings I don't know about. It never pays to fall too in love with 16th men. I'd much rather let Pato show that he's able to stand out in Austin before making irrevocable roster moves to protect him.

Good points as usual. I'm looking forward to see what PATFO decides. Staying up right now and hitting the refresh over and over like it's the darn trade deadline.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 01:08 AM
Good points as usual. I'm looking forward to see what PATFO decides. Staying up right now and hitting the refresh over and over like it's the darn trade deadline.

12/15 is the day for me. That will be the first day they could trade Dedmon. If they are unhappy with their backup center, a move could come just after that time.

raybies
10-22-2016, 01:08 AM
:cheerThat guy is the most lovable Spur!
_____

Well if they can keep just one guy I think it's Forbes.
They then do Garino if they get fed up with Simmons midseason or so.
Anthony is tough to let go, but they have Dedmon and he might have been losing minutes to Lee and Bertans and might be looking like the 5th big and in and out of the rotation depending on how the other bigs are holding up and his own play.

That is my #Nostradamus prediction. I have trouble seeing them part with somebody bc they have not reached Jimmer levels, but they might. Older souls than me have educated me on Pop pimping dudes that should not have been pimped. :lol

Also, I can't help but feeling that despite the fun game and the win, Pop was in foul mood bc it's never easy to give bad news to good guys and that is what he was about to do or is getting ready to do tomorrow.

Solid take. Makes sense.

objective
10-22-2016, 02:02 AM
The campaign going back to before training camp by Kyle-verts wishing Simmons getting cut has been entertaining, but also sad.

Simmons is a minimum expiring deal at 6-6 who shoots serviceably from three, shines in transition, and when not covering ball handlers in PnR is not that bad defensively.

And in a real, high stakes game he is probably is out of a 10 man rotation, even 11 man rotation. He's just an energy guy to come in and change a game, on the best possible contract while also not blocking the development of anyone.

The knives are out for him because he has occasionally made Kyle look bad and has often taken minutes from him that he would have never received if not for high pedigree high IQ UCLA superstar Kyle disappointing the powers that be.

That's it. And the knives will come out for Bertans once he starts taking minutes away.

So Simmons has a rough handle? So he gets out of control when he's ball dominating?

So what? He's a fringe outside the rotation player who has things he does do well. Why want to see him cut?

GSH
10-22-2016, 02:03 AM
I didn't see this quote from Pop earlier, but it doesn't sound like a guy who is about to get cut: "Jon (Jonathon Simmons), will probably miss a few days, maybe,” said Popovich. “Danny will be weeks."

I don't see any way to let go of a guy like Bryn Forbes. He's made 50% of his 3's in the pre-season. I don't care if it was pre-season competition - if they can get him some open shots, he can clearly knock them down. That kept Boobie Gibson in the league for 7 years. If the Spurs were to let him go, I don't have much doubt that someone else would clear a roster spot for a knock-down 3P shooter.

Chinook is probably right, and they keep LJC. I'd keep Garino over him, but they probably won't.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 02:49 AM
Objective no hard feelings. I have given Simmons a fair chance but I just don't like his game. If he didn't feel the need to hero ball and stayed within a team concept I could grow to like him, but sadly he hasn't. He's evolved into a ball dominant player who heroballs and has lost the touch from 3. He's not playing off the ball well at all bc he doesn't space the floor for others and what he's been doing with the ball in his hands has been mostly selfish or a bad pass. He doesn't have the talent to be that high usage. I liked him more b4 Pop tried to turn him into a Ginobili clone which he's not. He used to be a fine off ball player.

I have loved Bertans and actually felt time ago the bench would be better with him at the 4. I like that he's a shooter but stays within a team concept and looks to pass and make plays for teammates as well, and takes his shots within the offense. I have liked many things from many of the new players but there's not one thing I have liked from Simmons except transition scoring and he had that last season too.

Anyways the criticism for him has never risen to the levels Anderson has, who still has like 200 threads against him on a regular basis and props up everywhere with guys hating on him.... so I don't know why you are so hurt. The criticism for Simmons is deserved. I always hated comparison between the two as they were very different players but it was actually a huge Anderson hate brigade that pimped Simmons up basically bc they disliked Anderson, not the reverse.

-----
Anyways, he's going to be healthy and playing in the season opener:

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 02:56 AM
I didn't see this quote from Pop earlier, but it doesn't sound like a guy who is about to get cut: "Jon (Jonathon Simmons), will probably miss a few days, maybe,” said Popovich. “Danny will be weeks."

I don't see any way to let go of a guy like Bryn Forbes. He's made 50% of his 3's in the pre-season. I don't care if it was pre-season competition - if they can get him some open shots, he can clearly knock them down. That kept Boobie Gibson in the league for 7 years. If the Spurs were to let him go, I don't have much doubt that someone else would clear a roster spot for a knock-down 3P shooter.

Chinook is probably right, and they keep LJC. I'd keep Garino over him, but they probably won't.
He's not. I didn't think he would. Pop has pimped him up, but they also need him. It's his opportunity to earn the coach's trust.

objective
10-22-2016, 03:10 AM
Objective no hard feelings. I have given Simmons a fair chance but I just don't like his game. If he didn't feel the need to hero ball and stayed within a team concept I could grow to like him, but sadly he hasn't. He's evolved into a ball dominant player who heroballs and has lost the touch from 3. He's not playing off the ball well at all bc he doesn't space the floor for others and what he's been doing with the ball in his hands has been mostly selfish or a bad pass. He doesn't have the talent to be that high usage. I liked him more b4 Pop tried to turn him into a Ginobili clone which he's not. He used to be a fine off ball player.

I have loved Bertans and actually felt time ago the bench would be better with him at the 4. I like that he's a shooter but stays within a team concept and looks to pass and make plays for teammates as well, and takes his shots within the offense. I have liked many things from many of the new players but there's not one thing I have liked from Simmons except transition scoring and he had that last season too.

Anyways the criticism for him has never risen to the levels Anderson has, who still has like 200 threads against him on a regular basis and props up everywhere with guys hating on him.... so I don't know why you are so hurt. The criticism for Simmons is deserved. I always hated comparison between the two as they were very different players but it was actually a huge Anderson hate brigade that pimped Simmons up basically bc they disliked Anderson, not the reverse.

No hard feelings from me. And no offense to you or others.

Your complaints about Simmons change nothing I wrote about his game. The Spurs have been the ones having him do this expanded role that you don't like the results of. They wanted to see if he could be more than an energy transition fringe player with decent size.

So far it's maybe looking like he's failed at being more. I'm not so sure, seeing as how he was trash last preseason also. He might just be a bad, nervous, shook camp guy. But let's say he's totally proven that he'll never replace Ginobili in the future as a ball handler and is best as an end of bench energy guy on a minimum deal ...

That's still a very good thing to have. So he gets reined in any back in that role. Great value and a useful piece who barely sees the court when Leonard, Manu and Green are at full strength on the wings with Kyle getting opportunities there also.

That's why calls to cut him aren't 'deserved criticism' but more like sour grapes that Kyle is still at risk for losing minutes to Simmons. After all, Kyle is the legendary point guard skilled wing who has the highest IQ. How on earth does Simmons get ball handling opportunities when Magic Boris Anderson is there? Maybe if he's cut, Kyle won't have to worry about it, right?

Chinook
10-22-2016, 03:25 AM
It's absurd that think the Simmons criticism is based in Anderson homerism. Jonathon came on the scene in the summer league, where Kyle outplayed him. Then Simmons came into pre-season and played horribly. If anything the desire for him to be cut came from there when Rasual was outplaying him but looked to have no chance at the roster. It just sort of intensified as Simmons continued to come up small while Butler was the one cut for the abortion that was Kevin Martin. So now we have a guy who's middle-aged NBA-wise and has less role-player potential than guys like Forbes and Garino who are four years younger than him and locked into better contracts.

And that once a-freaking-gain underscores why citing Simmons' contract is a horrible argument. Anywhere from 20-40 percent of NBA players make less $1.5 Million. (That's just me spit-balling. It's not going to be much less than that, but it could be much more.) A guy who's "probably is out of a 10 man rotation, even 11 man rotation" is not worth more than the min, especially if he's 27. Simmons is not good value; he's getting paid exactly what he's worth. Does he have a role as an energy player? Sure. Is that a necessary role? Nope. Would some if not most of us rather have a shooter or a defensive big in that spot instead of an energy guy? Yes.

This is really simple: Simmons is not a good player. Not even his biggest supporters are arguing that. It doesn't take a conspiracy theory to explain why so many people want to cut a guy who's not good and who apparently doesn't have upside for younger players who can make more impact in the future and/or bolster players who are currently disappointing or injured.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 03:39 AM
See you have to go with the comparison again. What Kyle is at this level no one knows exactly. His game is basically unfolding b4 us. We debate for entertainment with guys about him, and the haters are obnoxious and numerous. But he got to the Spurs a very young player being something else to begin with, and has evolved, molded by Pop and is still growing as a player due to his youth, so that is interesting to watch.

Anyways it's on Pop where he's going with Simmons. He is an older player who may have reached the apex on his talents, thus why he's looking more or less the same.

To be fair, Garino is younger than Simmons was last season and has looked better in his rookie preseason than Simmons did his own rookie preseason so I think Garino can be the better player if given an opportunity. I see more potential for a better shooter and defender and the guy is not as prone to mistakes as Simmons is, so I like him more.

But this is Simmons chance and Pop has liked him enough to be hopeful that he can improve, and even articles I read and posted in Simmons church attest to the fact that he's worked hard to improve, so he's not easy to part with for Pop without getting a chance and that he will. I am not wishing that the guy fails, but I haven't liked what he's been doing out there I can tell you that.

Edit: bottom line my opinion on JSimms has nothing to do with Kyle TBH.

Ice009
10-22-2016, 03:51 AM
As much as I am disappointed in Simmons' play, I'm not ready to let go of him yet. I think Pop feels the same. He's got some things that he does well and I think he'll get one more chance this season. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 04:13 AM
As much as I am disappointed in Simmons' play, I'm not ready to let go of him yet. I think Pop feels the same. He's got some things that he does well and I think he'll get one more chance this season. Hopefully he makes the most of it.
When I thought he wouldn't get cut even for guys who are deserving (In my mind Garino is deserving on his own merit and would have dethroned Simms last season if they came into the same camp together), but anyways when I thought he wouldn't get cut I always thought of Daye and Ayers and how Pop let go of guys like Jamychal Green bc the other two were under contract, though JGreen was the younger player who had shown improvement, whereas the other two were around Simmons age and pretty much stagnant in development.

Thus I am not convinced that he's worth keeping over Garino, but it's not my call, it's the coach.

jermaine
10-22-2016, 07:42 AM
Forbes will not be cut.... The dude can shoot!

mo7888
10-22-2016, 08:49 AM
It's absurd that think the Simmons criticism is based in Anderson homerism. Jonathon came on the scene in the summer league, where Kyle outplayed him. Then Simmons came into pre-season and played horribly. If anything the desire for him to be cut came from there when Rasual was outplaying him but looked to have no chance at the roster. It just sort of intensified as Simmons continued to come up small while Butler was the one cut for the abortion that was Kevin Martin. So now we have a guy who's middle-aged NBA-wise and has less role-player potential than guys like Forbes and Garino who are four years younger than him and locked into better contracts.

And that once a-freaking-gain underscores why citing Simmons' contract is a horrible argument. Anywhere from 20-40 percent of NBA players make less $1.5 Million. (That's just me spit-balling. It's not going to be much less than that, but it could be much more.) A guy who's "probably is out of a 10 man rotation, even 11 man rotation" is not worth more than the min, especially if he's 27. Simmons is not good value; he's getting paid exactly what he's worth. Does he have a role as an energy player? Sure. Is that a necessary role? Nope. Would some if not most of us rather have a shooter or a defensive big in that spot instead of an energy guy? Yes.

This is really simple: Simmons is not a good player. Not even his biggest supporters are arguing that. It doesn't take a conspiracy theory to explain why so many people want to cut a guy who's not good and who apparently doesn't have upside for younger players who can make more impact in the future and/or bolster players who are currently disappointing or injured.

All I have to say is.....Amen!

SPURt
10-22-2016, 09:06 AM
why did Forbes go undrafted again? If he develops handles he could get scary

ceperez
10-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Just absurd that folks are thinking Garino doesn't get cut. Let's assume that there are 2 slots open, there are then 3 players who are at least better than him, Forbes, Laprovittola and Simmons. Murray and LJC are rookie projects so they don't count. Dedmon, who's play is pathetic, is a big. He doesn't count either.

Besides against the Rockets, Brown was just blowing by Garino. I'm certain Spurs like Simmons can easily blow by Garino.

franforr
10-22-2016, 10:28 AM

Garino is out

ceperez
10-22-2016, 10:30 AM

Undersized point guard that spent 4 years in college: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bryn-Forbes-65428/

I guess he didn't pass the eye-test.

TheGreatYacht
10-22-2016, 10:35 AM
Just absurd that folks are thinking Garino doesn't get cut. Let's assume that there are 2 slots open, there are then 3 players who are at least better than him, Forbes, Laprovittola and Simmons. Murray and LJC are rookie projects so they don't count. Dedmon, who's play is pathetic, is a big. He doesn't count either.

Besides against the Rockets, Brown was just blowing by Garino. I'm certain Spurs like Simmons can easily blow by Garino.
Yeah I never really saw the Garino defense everyone was talking about...

Chinook
10-22-2016, 10:49 AM

Garino is out

"Y voy a firmar con los Spurs"

spursistan
10-22-2016, 10:52 AM
once more the Spurs guaranteeing the wrong dudes...

With what they have shown thus far, really Simmons, Livio, Dedmon should thank RC Buford recent executive slump :pctoss

franforr
10-22-2016, 10:55 AM
"Y voy a firmar con los Spurs"

He didn't say that.
He said he'll wait for an offer (nba/europe)/evaluate playing in the dleague.

apalisoc_9
10-22-2016, 10:58 AM
once more the Spurs guaranteeing the wrong dudes...

With what they have shown thus far, really Simmons, Livio, Dedmon should thank RC Buford recent executive slump :pctoss

Livio is so poor that contract is so drunk

toki9
10-22-2016, 10:58 AM

I think "size" was the biggest reason. And he's not a play maker or a defender with athleticism.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 11:29 AM
He didn't say that.
He said he'll wait for an offer (nba/europe)/evaluate playing in the dleague.

I know he didn't say that. He won't even know if he's a free agent for two days.

TimDunkem
10-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Livio is clearly a long, long term project. He's worse than when Mahinmi first played here. Spurs should've cut him loose because he's a waste of a roster spot right now.

sasaint
10-22-2016, 11:41 AM

Garino is out

Yep, clearly Garino is gone. Thanks for the posting!

SPURt
10-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Undersized point guard that spent 4 years in college: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bryn-Forbes-65428/

I guess he didn't pass the eye-test.
I wonder if playing with a ball dominant college star hurt his stock? I guess if any team can instill defense and passing into a player's skill set it's the Spurs. After looking at his profile I realize he is 23. That probably hurt him too.

ceperez
10-22-2016, 12:52 PM
I wonder if playing with a ball dominant college star hurt his stock? I guess if any team can instill defense and passing into a player's skill set it's the Spurs. After looking at his profile I realize he is 23. That probably hurt him too.

That's what 4 years in college does to you.... you age.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 12:59 PM
I think the Garino decision was tougher to make than Spurs thought. Arci was cut immediately last night. They already knew about Arci, but with Garino they wanted to "sleep on" the decision.

He's unsure if he will go to the dleague, but his goal is to try to get an NBA contract, so staying in the dleague to try to improve and earn a contract midseason is a probability.

I wish him the best.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 01:18 PM

Against the Miami Heat, Simmons was a little erratic when he entered the game late in the first quarter. He committed his only turnover less than a minute after checking in, finishing with 10 points on 4-of-9 shooting and two assists.
"I started off slow, but picked it up along the way," said Simmons. "It's tough. ... I just have to ease my mind a little bit more. I'm just thinking too much for various reasons."

One of the main reasons? Simmons is concerned if he isn't playing that solid basketball Popovich preached to him last season and over the summer, any playing time will be short lived.

"I see a lot of plays," said Simmons. "But I'm thinking if I mess it up, what's the outcome? I'm thinking in between and not really playing my game."

Told about Simmons' problem, Popovich's advice was simple: "Just play the game and don't worry about getting snatched."
Added Popovich: "I have to try to give him room to make mistakes so he can be comfortable and not worry about if he makes a mistake it's going to be the end of the world for him. He's got to have a little more of a comfortable level and confidence. I think that helps a player to stop thinking so much and play the game. Beyond that, he's got to have the discipline to be solid."

Edited to comply with copyright things......

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2016, 01:34 PM

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2016, 01:34 PM

TimDunkem
10-22-2016, 01:37 PM
So glad they waived Livio. He clearly wasn't ready at all.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Five bigs, COUNTING Bertans?

robert1886
10-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Thought the same too but guess that's the Small Ball NBA now

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Wow - I think talent/performance wise this was the right call. But depth wise it makes things even more scary (especially because Dedmon has not shown too well as of now).

Definitely need to watch the waiver wire for talented bigs and/or trades.

sasaint
10-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Bertans/Kyle. Gonna play more small ball this season unless they make another (completely) unexpected move.

Mel_13
10-22-2016, 01:47 PM

They only had 4 in 2012-13 until they signed Boris in March, 2013.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Thought the same too but guess that's the Small Ball NBA now

Yeah, Anderson at the four seems likely. But Simmons at thr three? Or is Bertans a rotation player. Could be a trade in the works after Danny comes back?

Mel_13
10-22-2016, 01:49 PM
They only had 4 in 2012-13 until they signed Boris in March, 2013.

Edit: 2011-12 and signed Boris in March, 2012.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Remember that we cant post full SAEN articles on this site. You have to pare it down to a couple of quotes.

Complied... you can edit your quote of me... so it's not posted whole.

I thought it was so relevant when we are talking about mental toughness. There is a lot there to digest for those of us who have observed Simmons since he was playing in summer league 2 seasons ago (and how his contract was guaranteed ahead of summer league in 2016 to ease up his mind.) He is indeed mentally weak. You called that long time ago. This is an article by both player and coach admitting that mental issues have been a big problem.

I doubt there is much more that Pop can do to strengthen him mentally. They have really propped him up as much as they could to make him comfortable and now it's on him.

Anyways, there it is.

cd021
10-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Yeah, Anderson at the four seems likely. But Simmons at thr three? Or is Bertans a rotation player. Could be a trade in the works after Danny comes back?

Good. I think Simmons gets first crack at the 3 with Bertans getting a shot there too (like Mills and Neal in the 12-13 season before Neal got the gig at backup PG)

sasaint
10-22-2016, 01:55 PM

I don't see a trade. Too many new faces to suit Pop already. But you can bet the Spurs will keep a sharp eye on the guys getting waived from now until the deadline.

ceperez
10-22-2016, 01:55 PM

Wow! LJC out! Anyway, Laprovittola and Forbes are so much more useful than LJC.

Honestly, the way the game is played today, you really want those 3 point shooters! Glad we added 2 more of them.

ceperez
10-22-2016, 01:57 PM
I don't see a trade. Too many new faces to suit Pop already. But you can bet the Spurs will keep a sharp eye on the guys getting waived from now until the deadline.

I agree, no trade happening. The team is set with 15 players.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Livio - worst pick ever? Any other first rounder ever cut in training camp of their rookie year?

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 01:58 PM
GLAD they picked up Laprovittola.
I thought he got a contract in Europe TBH
:flag:

Chinook
10-22-2016, 02:00 PM
I like the move, especially if Livio goes to the Toros. Sure, he'd cost more to call up, but now there's less pressure on both sides to live up to the deal. Writing was sort of on the wall with the way he was not given minutes. Didn't seem like Pop though LJC had earned any. Like Lapro and Forbes a lot individually, but they seem rather redundant. Guess Bryn's the other Austin assignee.

Outside of a trade scenario, Lapro isn't Mills insurance, as he's on a Boban-esque one-year deal.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Good. I think Simmons gets first crack at the 3 with Bertans getting a shot there too (like Mills and Neal in the 12-13 season before Neal got the gig at backup PG)

Frankly I have seen Bertans exclusively as a 4 and have loved him as that.

ceperez
10-22-2016, 02:02 PM
I like the move, especially if Livio goes to the Toros. Sure, he'd cost more to call up, but now there's less pressure on both sides to live up to the deal. Writing was sort of on the wall with the way he was not given minutes. Didn't seem like Pop though LJC had earned any. Like Lapro and Forbes a lot individually, but they seem rather redundant. Guess Bryn's the other Austin assignee.

Outside of a trade scenario, Lapro isn't Mills insurance, as he's on a Boban-esque one-year deal.

Damn, you are right. We burn long term prospect for a short term one. I think its right, these two are ready to play!

I also doubt another team will pick up LJC. There are a ton of athletic players that get waived every year. A dime a dozen.

ceperez
10-22-2016, 02:04 PM

He's tall enough to just raise his hands.... typical Spurs (non-fouling) defense. You saw that against the Rockets. How many blocks did he get?

objective
10-22-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't know if i see the use in keeping Lapprovittola. They already have two nba points in Parker and Mills, who are usually pretty healthy, and a development point with Murray, and. Manu to run point. When is Lapprovittola supposed to play? I only saw two PS games but is he such a good defender that he'll be used like Joseph was?

I've been incredibly harsh on LJC and bringing him over, but it's a sunk cost. At least give him a year in Austin, or maybe he can be trade ballast at the deadline.

ceperez
10-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Spurs can now play really small ball:

Laprovittola, Parker, Mills, Forbes and Simmons (at center).

or tall ball

Anderson (PG), Leonard, Bertans, Aldridge, Gasol

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 02:07 PM

Well Mills is a FA this next offseason too. They will have decisions to make next summer about their own guys.

And under the table went the fact that they did struggle some with cutting Garino or they would have done that last night together with Arci, so I think they for sure liked him but struggled with the decision to cut Simmons and decided to give Simmons a chance.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Well Mills is a FA this next offseason too. They will have decisions to make next summer about their own guys.

And under the table went the fact that they did struggle some with cutting Garino or they would have done that last night together with Arci, so I think they for sure liked him but struggled with the decision to cut Simmons and decided to give Simmons a chance.

I was talking about Patty's pending free agency when talking about insurance. Lapro probably won't play well enough to be a cheap alternative to Mills. If he's good enough to take the job, he's going to be paid like it.

coachmac87
I said Forbes should and would make the team and LJC is not an NBA player...

ceperez
I don't know if i see the use in keeping Lapprovittola. They already have two nba points in Parker and Mills, who are usually pretty healthy, and a development point with Murray, and. Manu to run point. When is Lapprovittola supposed to play? I only saw two PS games but is he such a good defender that he'll be used like Joseph was?

I've been incredibly harsh on LJC and bringing him over, but it's a sunk cost. At least give him a year in Austin, or maybe he can be trade ballast at the deadline.

I guess you did not see him play. He's the best ball handler in the entire team. Lapprovittola, after Parker, is you only other true point guard.

LJC is as much a bust as James Anderson. Really sucks knowing that he was just one pick away from Gobert. He just didn't improve after a great showing when he was 18. I don't know what the hell is wrong with him.

To be fair though, if Spurs weren't lucky to find both Lapro and Forbes, LJC likely would not have been waived. Just the breaks of the game. These two players are really that good!

Chinook
10-22-2016, 02:11 PM

You did. Got 'em, Coach.

kaji157
10-22-2016, 02:11 PM

I thought that they could have traded him along with Mills if they see Patty is outplayed by Laprovittola or if they think he might be to expensive to resign. That would have netted a 5 million dollar player in return.

I guess what pick might Patty nail you if he has a good year.

kaji157
10-22-2016, 02:12 PM

Pretty much everyone who knows basketball agreed that LJC was not an NBA player.

To say the truth, no one understood why he was signed.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 02:12 PM
I guess you did not see him play. He's the best ball handler in the entire team. Lapprovittola, after Parker, is you only other true point guard.

LJC is as much a bust as James Anderson. Really sucks knowing that he was just one pick away from Gobert. He just didn't improve after a great showing when he was 18. I don't know what the hell is wrong with him.

Torn ACL robbing him of his Splitter-like mobility and the elevation he needed to rebound and finish. Real easy to see where it's gone wrong for him. And real sad.

kaji157
10-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Torn ACL robbing him of his Splitter-like mobility and the elevation he needed to rebound and finish. Real easy to see where it's gone wrong for him. And real sad.

Don´t be so sad, he has 2.4 million reasons to take this as a learning experience and move on.

ceperez
10-22-2016, 02:15 PM

I disagree with that statement. Simmons wasn't going to be waived for Garino. Garino was not a tough decision. Did you see how he played last night? The Rocket's guards were driving past him! I think though he has potential, just not now.

coachmac87
Pretty much everyone who knows basketball agreed that LJC was not an NBA player.

To say the truth, no one understood why he was signed.

He was signed for due diligence tbh and with the prayer that something would click if he was surrounded with better talent...butttt of course that was wishful thinking lol

ace3g
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvZRJx5UEAA44gA.jpg:large

kaji157
10-22-2016, 02:16 PM
He was signed for due diligence tbh and with the prayer that something would click if he was surrounded with better talent...butttt of course that was wishful thinking lol

due diligence??

Robz4000
10-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Wow, did not expect them to keep Forbes AND Lappro; thought it'd be one of them and maybe Anthony.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 02:22 PM
I was talking about Patty's pending free agency when talking about insurance. Lapro probably won't play well enough to be a cheap alternative to Mills. If he's good enough to take the job, he's going to be paid like it.

Well I havent' seen Lapro as much as I have seen Mills for sure... but I think he's a more well rounded PG than Mills. Moving forward, once Manu retires, I think he's better. He can shoot the 3, but does other things, passes better, has more size to defend, etc.

But again with just a few minutes of preseason over 4-5 games or so, it's not enough to say how good he will be through the season. Still I like the pick, he's really solid and allows Murray to go through his rook struggles without pressure. I always though Pop didn't want to place Murray in the spot like he did with Ray Mac. ---Although Murray is way more talented. It also allows Forbes to learn from Lapro TBH and Forbes is here for more than a season...

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Wow, did not expect them to keep Forbes AND Lappro; thought it'd be one of them and maybe Anthony.

I think Pop has bought in to Bertans contributing this season. IMO good news.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Forbes and Laprovitolla deserved it. Lapro can be a NBA back up today.

Parker/ Mills/ Lapro/ Murray
Green/ Manu/ Simmons/ Forbes
Kawhi/ Anderson - Bertans
Aldridge/ Lee/ Anderson - Bertans
Gasol/ Dedmon

The depth chart is incredibly imbalanced. One injury in the front court and Spurs are going to be in trouble.

I'd field offers for Patty and settle for a 1st from a contender out East or high 2nd from a lottery team like the Sixers. Makes room for a roster spot + getting a decent pick for next year. Go after the best big you can get on the market.

One thing is almost for sure though, this is likely Pattys' last year with Lappro signed for 2 years, Forbes for 3 and Murray under contract. Makes no sense to pay Mills.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 02:26 PM
I disagree with that statement. Simmons wasn't going to be waived for Garino. Garino was not a tough decision. Did you see how he played last night? The Rocket's guards were driving past him! I think though he has potential, just not now.

I have seen him and Simmons enough. Simmons last preseason when he was the rookie was horrible! lol

cd021
10-22-2016, 02:28 PM
So Livio can still be signed to play for Austin right, along with Arci, and Garino?

GSH
10-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Last night everyone was sure that Lap was already on a plane to his new European team. Damn those rumors.

Regardless of what a lot of people are saying, LJC wasn't a bad stash at the time. The Spurs had no roster spots to give to a marginal player, so they took a flyer on a prospect and gave him a few years to cook. He tore an ACL, which didn't help. I was disappointed in his physical development when he got here. I don't know if he neglected his rehab, but he was nowhere nearly as mobile as I remembered him, and he didn't put on the size/strength he needed to play more physical ball. Chinook convinced me that the Spurs might keep him, just because he had a rookie contract. But his play didn't come close to earning a roster spot. He should go down more in the "disappointment" column, rather than the "bad draft pick" column.

Garino made a comment about needing to play in the D-League. I got the impression that he had already discussed it with the Spurs. I don't think either side is ready to part ways.

Spurs can now play really small ball:

Laprovittola, Parker, Mills, Forbes and Simmons (at center).

or tall ball

Anderson (PG), Leonard, Bertans, Aldridge, Gasol

Heh. Don Nelson would have put both of those lineups on the floor.

coachmac87
10-22-2016, 02:29 PM

Gasol/ Dedmon

The depth chart is incredibly imbalanced. One injury in the front court and Spurs are going to be in trouble.

I'd field offers for Patty and settle for a 1st from a contender out East or high 2nd from a lottery team like the Sixers. Makes room for a roster spot + getting a decent pick for next year. Go after the best big you can get on the market.

One thing is almost for sure though, this is likely Pattys' last year with Lappro signed for 2 years, Forbes for 3 and Murray under contract. Makes no sense to pay Mills.

Bonner is in their back pocket

ceperez
10-22-2016, 02:30 PM

Were Spurs obligated to signing him?

Chinook
10-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Were Spurs obligated to signing him?

Pretty much. They could've renounced him, but that would be awful form.

ceperez
10-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Last night everyone was sure that Lap was already on a plane to his new European team. Damn those rumors.

Regardless of what a lot of people are saying, LJC wasn't a bad stash at the time. The Spurs had no roster spots to give to a marginal player, so they took a flyer on a prospect and gave him a few years to cook. He tore an ACL, which didn't help. I was disappointed in his physical development when he got here. I don't know if he neglected his rehab, but he was nowhere nearly as mobile as I remembered him, and he didn't put on the size/strength he needed to play more physical ball. Chinook convinced me that the Spurs might keep him, just because he had a rookie contract. But his play didn't come close to earning a roster spot. He should go down more in the "disappointment" column, rather than the "bad draft pick" column.

Garino made a comment about needing to play in the D-League. I got the impression that he had already discussed it with the Spurs. I don't think either side is ready to part ways.

Heh. Don Nelson would have put both of those lineups on the floor.

In all fairness to LJC, if it weren't for the late Laprovittola signing, he may have not been waived.

cd021
10-22-2016, 02:35 PM

Gasol/ Dedmon

I agreed that Mills is almost certainly not going to be Spur next season, Spurs may have around $9-10 million in cap space (assuming that Gasol opts in, and Dedmon opts out) if Dedmon opts in that number will be around $6-7 million with Mills cap hold tying up pretty much all of that remaining cap.

I don''t think that the Spurs would move Mills, they would probably play out the year then let him walk but it would make plenty of sense and there are certainly teams that could use him, Phily and Atlanta for example. A late first or an early second would be a solid return (say Philly finishes in the bottom 5, that could be the 35th pick).

cd021
10-22-2016, 02:39 PM
I got into an argument with someone about the possibility of the Spurs having 4 rookies; Murray, Bertans, Lapr, and Forbes- looks like I'm right.

GSH
10-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Well I havent' seen Lapro as much as I have seen Mills for sure... but I think he's a more well rounded PG than Mills.

I've said it before, he's a tough little bastard. Very, very scrappy. And he is more of a pure point than Patty. I've always thought that Patty would make a much better 2 guard - if only he was about 4 inches taller. He still has trouble with heavy ball pressure, and looks like a deer in the headlights at time. We'll see how Lap handles the speed of the NBA game, but I don't think he'll freeze.

GSH
10-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Bonner is in their back pocket

That's because Bonner is ass.

SpurPadre
10-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Liking the roster, in what is a lost season barring serious injury to a Dubs player. The way the front court looks I still can't help but think this leaves room for TD to come back at some point after the AS break, especially if things are going well and the Dubs have a major setback.

GSH
10-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Wow - I think talent/performance wise this was the right call. But depth wise it makes things even more scary (especially because Dedmon has not shown too well as of now).

Definitely need to watch the waiver wire for talented bigs and/or trades.

If GS shows any signs of being vulnerable (no chemistry, injury, etc.) then I think the Spurs might look to upgrade Deadmon before the deadline. They're waiving LJC - I don't think they'll feel any more obligated to Deadmon.

But I really doubt they would replace him for someone off the waiver wire, because they aren't likely to be much better than Deadmon, and they won't have the benefit of camp with the team. If they replace him, it almost has to be with someone who is a clear-cut upgrade, and that likely means trade.

jeebus
10-22-2016, 02:53 PM

Thank Jesus you're not the GM.

Parker and Manu are pretty much guaranteed to miss 20 games a piece this season. So you want to get rid of Mills and pray that fantastic duo of Murray and Lapro get it done? lol.

Half the team could be fucking duds. Showing up against preseason teams is an Austin Daye way of thinking. Then again, this is the spurs forum and everyone's job here is to think they know everything as well as jump the gun.

gambit1990
10-22-2016, 02:55 PM
so glad livio and anthony won't be on the roster. didn't even want them on the preseason roster.

cd021
10-22-2016, 02:57 PM
I guess if both Anderson and Bertans play together, it may be semantics but I view Anderson as a 4 and think his lack of a 3pt shot can be minimized while his other skills can make him a mismatch or more difficult to guard.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Thank Jesus you're not the GM.

Parker and Manu are pretty much guaranteed to miss 20 games a piece this season. So you want to get rid of Mills and pray that fantastic duo of Murray and Lapro get it done? lol.

Half the team could be fucking duds. Showing up against preseason teams is an Austin Daye way of thinking. Then again, this is the spurs forum and everyone's job here is to think they know everything as well as jump the gun.

People think differently. Its okay.

Appreciate the insight. Have a wonderful day.

szkorhetz
10-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Liking the roster, in what is a lost season barring serious injury to a Dubs player. The way the front court looks I still can't help but think this leaves room for TD to come back at some point after the AS break, especially if things are going well and the Dubs have a major setback.
TD can't come back this season.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 03:05 PM
TD can't come back this season.

This isn't true. Dunno who started this rumor.

kaji157
10-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Does this mean Manu has made his first task as a Scout with 50% efficiency? Good enough.

szkorhetz
10-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Okay, can't come back to the Spurs.

Per CBA, if a player is waived by his team a full calendar year has to last before he could resign with them..

Obviously, I would cry like a small child, if he would come back for a last(-last-last-last) run. But that's not gonna happen.

Could he sign with like the 76-ers or the Hawks than traded to us after the 60 days cool down (whatever it's called) period?

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 03:08 PM
If GS shows any signs of being vulnerable (no chemistry, injury, etc.) then I think the Spurs might look to upgrade Deadmon before the deadline. They're waiving LJC - I don't think they'll feel any more obligated to Deadmon.

But I really doubt they would replace him for someone off the waiver wire, because they aren't likely to be much better than Deadmon, and they won't have the benefit of camp with the team. If they replace him, it almost has to be with someone who is a clear-cut upgrade, and that likely means trade.

I was really referring to how with one less option, they are more committed to playing Dedmon now. It's just a numbers game. Can't and won't play only Pau/Lee/LMA. Have to play Dedmon where with LJC they had that other option. He's going to get minutes good or not (I am still excited about him).

I think there might be skill sets in the big bodies on waivers that might be interesting (especially as the year progresses kind of how like Boris got bought out and was a great upgrade).

Definitely think trade is viable too.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 03:14 PM
But ya, this is not fantasy basketball. It's not all about short term and selling high value-wise. Spurs want to win and the two main guards (TP/Manu) are old and are very likely to miss games.

Spurs needed not only guard depth, but they are obviously hoping to strike gold cheaply and the only way to do that is with numbers.

Luckily, both the guys they kept looked the most talented out of the choices so that made it easier.

The bad news is they needed front court depth as well and they could not solve that problem right now.

But it was the right can to kick down the road.

coachmac87
10-22-2016, 03:14 PM

What need to be done salary cap wise for this to actually happen?

GSH
10-22-2016, 03:15 PM

If they let the Spurs stretch Duncan's salary in order to sign another player, and then let him sign a new contract the same year? There will be a lot of screaming. And they would put a new rule in place over it.

I can't find anything in print about whether they would even allow it. But it sure looks like a perversion of the stretch provision.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 03:17 PM
Man it feels good to be talking basketball/spurs again!

ace3g
10-22-2016, 03:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/730957335116406784/fObPyd_u_bigger.jpg San Antonio Spurs Verified account ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs)

Spurs waive Joel Anthony, Ryan Arcidiacono, Patricio Garino and Livio Jean-Charles » http://gospu.rs/2f3fZ0f (https://t.co/tHuIdgGjqm) Our roster now stands at 15.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 03:21 PM

Per CBA, if a player is waived by his team a full calendar year has to last before he could resign with them..

Obviously, I would cry like a small child, if he would come back for a last(-last-last-last) run. But that's not gonna happen.

Could he sign with like the 76-ers or the Hawks than traded to us after the 60 days cool down (whatever it's called) period?

No. That's not per the CBA. Waived players can be re-signed. Traded players can't.

CGD
10-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Good call on Lapro over LJC, though I still can't help but feel that the spurs did him dirty by not bringing him over sooner.

Truckules
10-22-2016, 03:22 PM

The one year restriction only applies if the player was traded then waived.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 03:23 PM
If they let the Spurs stretch Duncan's salary in order to sign another player, and then let him sign a new contract the same year? There will be a lot of screaming. And they would put a new rule in place over it.

I can't find anything in print about whether they would even allow it. But it sure looks like a perversion of the stretch provision.

I think it would be dicey, but since the Spurs are not saving money, it's not necessarily going to draw anyone's ire.

szkorhetz
10-22-2016, 03:23 PM
No. That's not per the CBA. Waived players can be re-signed. Traded players can't.
And what about the stretched contracts?

There is really nothing in the CBA that would block Duncan from coming back?

GSH
10-22-2016, 03:25 PM
I think there might be skill sets in the big bodies on waivers that might be interesting (especially as the year progresses kind of how like Boris got bought out and was a great upgrade).

Definitely think trade is viable too.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about buyouts. But Boris is living proof of that possibility.

But could the Spurs get any decent free agent to sign? After all, this week they tried to trade LMA after just one year on the team, and then they screwed LJC out of his rookie contract. That's all supposed to guarantee that no FA's will eve come here again. :lol

Chinook
10-22-2016, 03:25 PM
And what about the stretched contracts?

There is really nothing in the CBA that would block Duncan from coming back?

Definitely not. Whether Silver will allow it is a different matter. But Tim hasn't retired and wasn't traded, so there is nothing im writing that prevents it.

Kawhitstorm
10-22-2016, 03:26 PM

One team out West that could inquire about Patty are the Rockets who lost Beverley for a couple of weeks & 40 yr old Pablo is their backup.

Patty fits D'Antoni's style & his struggles on defensive end shouldn't be a problem.:lol They could start GPIII to play the Beverley role & have Patty run the 2nd unit along w/ Eric Gordon.

If D-Mo would be willing to partake in a sign-and-trade (his QO is 4.4 mill) then he would have been an excellent backup. Lee/Dedmon are already on the roster so it would be worth the gamble on a 1 year deal even if he ends up toast like Tiago on the Hawks which is probably why no one gave him an offer sheet. I don't think he's too fond of Morey either after he basically traded him to the Pistons (for a protected 1st rd pick aka Patty level player) before it got rescinded. If he isn't in the Rockets future plan then I don't see what they have to lose by trading him for Patty who they could possible re-sign in the offseason thus his Bird Rights should come in handy.

coachmac87
10-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about buyouts. But Boris is living proof of that possibility.

But could the Spurs get any decent free agent to sign? After all, this week they tried to trade LMA after just one year on the team, and then they screwed LJC out of his rookie contract. That's all supposed to guarantee that no FA's will eve come here again. :lol

Second part of this is post doesn't mean anything regarding FA's

raybies
10-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Surprised about Anthony not making it. But when you put it this way we have for players that can play center and 3-4 that can play the four. Depth chart probably looks like this in PATFOs mind.

Parker 1,Patty 1,Nico 1
Murray 1/2
Forbes 2
Green 2/3, Manu 2/3, Jon 2/3
Leonard 2/3/4, Anderson 2/3/4
Bertans 3/4
Aldridge 4/5, Gasol 4/5, Lee 4/5
Dedmon 5

Pretty versatile roster. Spurs preparing for small ball it looks like and they aren't prepared for to depend on Murray. I like Nico there. Murray will have to earn every minute and not be given minutes.

GSH
10-22-2016, 03:31 PM

You know the CBA better than anyone here. Didn't the Spurs have to stretch Duncan's contract to be able to put one of the last guys on the roster? That's stuck in my mind, but I don't know for sure.

If they did, then they have a player that they wouldn't have, without the stretch. I guess they could say that they lost the player (or a player) in order to put Duncan back on the roster. But, yeah, I would think that would be dicey to say the least.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 03:32 PM

:lol

I do think people look at how the franchise acts and the Spurs have very little margin for error being in San Antonio - but yeah, nothing they have done yet IMO are a big deal.

But the good news is (talk about silver lining) that SA is going to be damn good and any big in a buyout situation or otherwise will probably find SA to be a good choice when it comes to building a "good rep" and opportunity for minutes. So there's that.

SPURt
10-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Awesome!

GSH
10-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Second part of this is post doesn't mean anything regarding FA's

I thought it was obvious enough not to put it in blue. There were lots of comments about how trading LMA and/or dumping LJC on a rookie contract would make other FA's not want to come here. It was just a little good-natured poke on my part.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 03:34 PM
This is going to be such a crazy start to the season. Spurs have so many new guys and not all of them are even close to being guaranteed NbA players :lol

Spurs are playing the odds somewhat (hoping they can find a gem) but with that comes the downside too. Dedmon, Forbes, Murray, Lap, Forbes, Bertans. All MAJOR question marks with plenty of upside, but could be a very bumpy road for a while.

coachmac87
10-22-2016, 03:41 PM
I thought it was obvious enough not to put it in blue. There were lots of comments about how trading LMA and/or dumping LJC on a rookie contract would make other FA's not want to come here. It was just a little good-natured poke on my part.

For the people that think that I just don't understand. The Spurs are the most respected organizations in the league if not all of sports. Even if they traded LMA it won't look bad on the Spurs IMO...it makes LMA look bad especially with what was reported for his reasons leaving Portland.

It'd be naive for players or potential FA's to judge the Spurs regarding situations like that. If you're not good enough or don't fit because you're a diva etc. that's on the player not the Spurs

ceperez
This is going to be such a crazy start to the season. Spurs have so many new guys and not all of them are even close to being guaranteed NbA players :lol

Spurs are playing the odds somewhat (hoping they can find a gem) but with that comes the downside too. Dedmon, Forbes, Murray, Lap, Forbes, Bertans. All MAJOR question marks with plenty of upside, but could be a very bumpy road for a while.

Dedmon is a big question mark. Murray still needs to go to D-league. The other 3 players look like they are ready to go!

I seriously doubt that Bertans, Laprovittola and Forbes will be rattled when they get in the court.

coachmac87

Theyll be fine

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Theyll be fine

Well, they "may" be fine. But nothing to date makes it seem "likely". But Spurs are pretty good at evaluating talent. Let's see if they are good at developing talent in mass. Tough job for everyone - especially a top 5 team in the league.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Dedmon is a big question mark. Murray still needs to go to D-league. The other 3 players look like they are ready to go!

I seriously doubt that Bertans, Laprovittola and Forbes will be rattled when they get in the court.

We shall see. I'm optimistic. I like the upside and youth of this team (even though we still have a big athleticism deficit).

However, for a contending team, and for guys like Forbes/Lap that will likely have to play minutes with some older guards on the team (TP/Manu) it's a big test. It's exciting.

coachmac87
10-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Well, they "may" be fine. But nothing to date makes it seem "likely". But Spurs are pretty good at evaluating talent. Let's see if they are good at developing talent in mass. Tough job for everyone - especially a top 5 team in the league.

Spurs will get in trouble if you ask too much of a player. The only player IMO that could be asked to do the most is Bertans but I think he can handle it.

If Spurs are allowed to bring Murray and Forbes along slowly they'll be ok too.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Also, these guys are fringe NBA players and rookies for the most part. On a major contender. There are going to be ups and downs. Spurs fans have to prepare themselves for this.

I find it highly unlikely that SA immediately has a top 5 bench like we are accustomed to seeing. They will have great flashes. Then really bad games. You know, like any other rookies. Except these rookies are expected to play for an immediate contender.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2016, 03:49 PM

Thankfully Spurs don't have to rely on all of those guys when it really matters. Only two of them (at best) will play when it really counts ( competitive games/ playoffs).

The rest will be filling in empty minutes throughout the season vs. poor competition -- being tested during B2Bs, end of blowouts, rest opportunities.

At the end of the day, the Spurs still have a damn solid core group of proven NBA All-Stars/ players in the top 8-10 in the rotation. They'll only get as far as those core guys take them -- the four rookies + Simmons will have little impact on their ceiling as a team. Having those four rookies fill in four of the last five spots is nice for a change. Especially if they can be competitive during their empty minute opportunities this year -- its a win-win for now and the near future. In all honesty they may be even better right now than last years' Andre Miller, Martin, Bonner.

GSH
10-22-2016, 03:51 PM

For a long time, the Spurs' continuity has been a big advantage in the first half of each season. I was feeling pretty good that the only difference in the starting 5 was Gasol, and he's a smart player who's been around. And the bench, at least, has a bunch of guys who can score points. Losing Danny really changes the math on the first part of the season.

I was actually thinking about starting an over/under on how long it will be before either Forbes or Murray has a 20 point game. I have no doubt that Bertans is going to put up some numbers. Lee will probably have less opportunities to score 20, but he can definitely put up points. Manu is aging, but he's still Manu. Mills can go off (and he's in a contract year :) ). So I've at least got some hope that the bench can hold down the fort when they are playing against mostly bench players.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Thankfully Spurs don't have to rely on all of those guys when it really matters. Only two of them will play when it really counts ( competitive games/ playoffs).

The rest will be filling in empty minutes throughout the season vs. poor competition -- being tested during B2Bs, end of blowouts, rest opportunities.

At the end of the day, the Spurs still have a damn solid core group of proven NBA All-Stars/ players in the top 8-10 in the rotation. They'll only get as far as those core guys take them -- the four rookies + Simmons will have little impact on their ceiling as a team. Having those four rookies fill in four of the last five spots is nice for a change. Especially if they can be competitive during their empty minute opportunities this year -- its a win-win for now and the near future. In all honesty they may be even better right now than last years' Andre Miller, Martin, Bonner.

Mostly agree. The starting lineup is stacked (well, when Danny is back). But I am not trusting TP/Manu to stay healthy all the time and winning regular season games will be key.

But TP/Danny/Kawhi/LMA/Pau/Manu/Mills/Lee are the only proven NBA players at a good level. That's 8 guys only and many of them are older (Pau/TP/Manu).

Kyle is a big question mark. Simmons has not looked great. Then you have Dedmon, Murray, Lap, Bertans, Forbes like I said.

Only having 8 legit for sure NBA players is tough and not the normal amount of depth we are used to seeing. Again, I'm not mad at that, its just reality.

SpurPadre
10-22-2016, 04:17 PM
DPG, you just touched on a big point on how we still lack athleticism. PATFO made it a point after the Thunder series the team needed to get more athletic but the offseason didn't really address it that much aside from Murray, who won't be a big contributor this season. I mean, Dedmon is a decent athlete as well as Bertans but I expected more on that front, especially since Simmons looks very mediocre and Anderson being arguably the least athletic player in the NBA logging good minutes.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Mostly agree. The starting lineup is stacked (well, when Danny is back). But I am not trusting TP/Manu to stay healthy all the time and winning regular season games will be key.

But TP/Danny/Kawhi/LMA/Pau/Manu/Mills/Lee are the only proven NBA players at a good level. That's 8 guys only and many of them are older (Pau/TP/Manu).

Kyle is a big question mark. Simmons has not looked great. Then you have Dedmon, Murray, Lap, Bertans, Forbes like I said.

Only having 8 legit for sure NBA players it tough and not the normal amount of depth we are used to seeing. Again, I'm not mad at that, its just reality.

9 and 10 with Dedmon/ Anderson. Both have proven to be able to contribute on the NBA level even if they're not overly qualified, they're qualified as NBA players. And Bertans looks more promising than both.

Parker and Manu will be held on a leash all year to prevent injury -- Parker getting 26-29 mpg and Manu getting his efficient 18-20 minute role. Doing so has helped Manu's longevity and durability for the past 3-4 years, same for Parker. Pop will manage them as efficiently as he has in recent years ( makes sure they're in uniform vs. tougher games & resting them vs. the bad opponent in back 2 backs, a game in 3 game in 5 night/4 games in 6 night scenarios). Having two of the young guys fill in spot minutes in those less competitive scenarios isn't scary IMO. Those are more exciting opportunities to see how much the work they've put in up to that point and if the work is paying off or if there's any progression.

In the playoffs, Pop has always implemented a 9-10 man rotation when it matters and only opens up the rotation when the score board allows it to happen. Or in times of desperation he's tighten the rotation to 7-8 players even.

Not mentioning, Pop can selectively push the minute limits if needed with the best players on the roster, Aldridge, Leonard and Green. All can see heavy minutes if scenario or game calls for it. Those scenarios inevitably decrease the role for the 4th big and 4th wing.

I"m just glad they are replacing the outliers of the roster with youth instead of managing a hospice facility that Martin, Miller and Bonner occupied last year.

Spurs9
10-22-2016, 04:23 PM
9 and 10 with Dedmon/ Anderson. Both have proven to be able to contribute on the NBA level even if they're not overly qualified, they're qualified as NBA players. And Bertans looks more promising than both.

Parker and Manu will be held on a leash all year to prevent injury -- Parker getting 26-29 mpg and Manu getting his efficient 18-20 minute role. Doing so has helped Manu's longevity and durability for the past 3-4 years, same for Parker. Pop will manage them as efficiently as he has in recent years ( makes sure they're in uniform vs. tougher games & resting them vs. the bad opponent in back 2 backs, a game in 3 game in 5 night/4 games in 6 night scenarios). Having two of the young guys fill in spot minutes in those less competitive scenarios isn't scary IMO. Those are more exciting opportunities to see how much the work they've put in up to that point and if the work is paying off or if there's any progression.

In the playoffs, Pop has always implemented a 9-10 man rotation when it matters and only opens up the rotation when the score board allows it to happen. Or in times of desperation he's tighten the rotation to 7-8 players even.

Not mentioning, Pop can selectively push the minute limits if needed with the best players on the roster, Aldridge, Leonard and Green. All can see heavy minutes if scenario or game calls for it. Those scenarios inevitably decrease the role for the 4th big and 4th wing.

I"m just glad they are replacing the outliers of the roster with youth instead of managing a hospice facility that Martin, Miller and Bonner occupied last year.
Glad we are going with youth now for once too. I trust the Spurs scouting ability, especially with what they developed guys like Joseph into.

TD 21
10-22-2016, 04:48 PM
They did the right thing. They just couldn't afford to hand away a roster spot to someone undeserving in order to be cheap or stubborn, not when 3 of the top 6 are ancient, there's a lack of proven depth past the top 8-9 and they have legitimate aspirations of playing into late May.

Sure, the roster is imbalanced, but it was going to be anyway. Jean-Charles isn't a true big (he's a power forward in a combo forwards body) and clearly would have been a last resort. It's unlikely they finish the season this way, but this was about rewarding those who earned it and essentially extending their audition, along with Simmons'.

spursistan
10-22-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm glad they moved on quickly from Livio..dude was simply way behind the curve to even merit a "loyalty" pass to the roster..This isn't the 2012-2015 iteration of Spurs-- a super deep team where you could just take a spot or two and enjoy the ride..If Dedmon busts and Simmons train-wrecks as many expects here they should be aggressive with them in the market..

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 05:34 PM

I agree - happy with what they did at the end of the bench - but people expecting things to go smoothly immediately are going to be very cliff-jumpy to start this year IMO.

You just have more confidence in TP/Manu staying fully healthy, Danny is already out 3 weeks (so maybe 12 games) and counting on Kyle/Dedmon to be legit consistent contributors.

I'm not willing to count on that so matter-of-factly but obviously the potential is there.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2016, 05:58 PM
I agree - happy with what they did at the end of the bench - but people expecting things to go smoothly immediately are going to be very cliff-jumpy to start this year IMO.

You just have more confidence in TP/Manu staying fully healthy, Danny is already out 3 weeks (so maybe 12 games) and counting on Kyle/Dedmon to be legit consistent contributors.

I'm not willing to count on that so matter-of-factly but obviously the potential is there.

Yeah, its impossible to predict how smooth a season will go. But if all goes relatively okay regarding injuries they shld be a 2nd tier team/2nd-4th seed in the West even with the new guys.

Theres more evidence to be confident Manu & Tony can stay healthy, with how theyve been able to stay healthy in recent years. In recent years the team has hired analysts who keep data on fatigue thresholds for each player which helps Pop manage the team to keep the players as healthy as possibly. He doesnt run Manu & Tony into the ground and hasnt in 5-6 yrs. If you want to be pessimistic then thats fine, but their age is the only thing you have to lean on. There was no reasonable way they could of provided more insurance than they did with them on the roster.

As far as Anderson and Dedmon, their roles will be small. The legit contributors, or the main core of guys who really control the ceiling, are usually the top 6-7 in the rotation.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 06:37 PM
I think we just aren't understanding each other :lol

I'm not pessimistic at all. In fact I said I was excited. I'm simply making observation as to the reality of the situation. You can infer what you want from that, but what I stated is the reality.

I know they could not have done more; never said they should have. I don't just have their age; I have previous injuries and the fact they are older and played with their national teams. It's not just age. TP hasn't been fully healthy for 5-6 years either. In recent years, whether he's had to miss games or not, injuries have really hurt his level of play. Same with Manu at times.

Spurs have never, never relied on 6-7 guys in the regular season and certainly can't do that now with 3 of the top 8 players being older.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2016, 06:53 PM
I think we just aren't understanding each other :lol

I'm not pessimistic at all. In fact I said I was excited. I'm simply making observation as to the reality of the situation. You can infer what you want from that, but what I stated is the reality.

I know they could not have done more; never said they should have. I don't just have their age; I have previous injuries and the fact they are older and played with their national teams. It's not just age. TP hasn't been fully healthy for 5-6 years either. In recent years, whether he's had to miss games or not, injuries have really hurt his level of play. Same with Manu at times.

Spurs have never, never relied on 6-7 guys in the regular season and certainly can't do that now with 3 of the top 8 players being older.

All good.

Manu & Tony have just aged and lost quickness and effectiveness. Theyve remained healthy for most part outside of Manus nut incident, Parkers hamstring in 13' Finals.

I never said they only rely on 6-7 players during regular season. I said the main core (legit contributors ) are usually top 6-7 on roster. Guys 8-10 have smaller roles but are still in rotation. The rest are outliers who fill in the gaps during long regular season.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 06:59 PM

I never said they only rely on 6-7 players during regular season. I said the main core (legit contributors ) are usually top 6-7 on roster. Guys 8-10 have smaller roles but are still in rotation. The rest are outliers who fill in the gaps during long regular season.

On most teams for sure, but the Spurs have always relied on depth, more than most, to get through the regular season with a lot of wins and with guys fresh.

That really cant change due to the main top guys being older (even LMA isn't young) so you can't just switch up the strategy too much imo. The new guys will have to play (which again, is fine and there is a lot potential).

The 6-7 guys determine the ceiling like you said, but to get there and be a good seed they will rely on more guys I believe.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 07:01 PM
But I'm excited :lol! I love what they did and all the gambles were the right moves IMO. I was early on one of the people really behind getting Gasol because it meant our Starter Lineup was so stacked still and improved over last year's team. Then they gambled on youth and some of them look good.

Im just doing a preemptive strike for Spurs fans expecting SA to have a top 5 bench. It's going to take time. Ups and downs.

Kawhitstorm
10-22-2016, 07:05 PM
Anderson being arguably the least athletic player in the NBA logging good minutes.

Did Dirk retire?:lol

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2016, 07:07 PM
On most teams for sure, but the Spurs have always relied on depth, more than most, to get through the regular season with a lot of wins and with guys fresh.

That really cant change due to the main top guys being older (even LMA isn't young) so you can't just switch up the strategy too much imo. The new guys will have to play (which again, is fine and there is a lot potential).

The 6-7 guys determine the ceiling like you said, but to get there and be a good seed they will rely on more guys I believe.

I never said they dont rely on them. The degree on how much they rely on guys 8-15 is what I was referring to. They have smaller roles -- with guys 11-15 being outliers who fill in empty minutes throughout season ( which helps the team , yes but they are what they are still ( outliers). Plus, just bc they are young unproven doesnt mean their incapable to fill the minutes McCallum, Miller, Martin, Butler, Bonner did last year.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 07:14 PM
I give up :lol.

I know they are capable or at least can be. Just saying it's not guaranteed. You, by clinging to the "6-8" is what I don't get. Everyone knows the teams best 7 players are the core. However, Spurs are not like most teams that play shallow depth even in the regular season.

If you think guys 8+ are only going to get "empty minutes" then I have no idea where you get that from consisdering even with younger TP/Manu that was never the case in the regular season. I'm saying that TP/Manu minutes will likely go down at least some. The others always get good minutes because Pop doesn't run guys into the ground.

So either your are trolling me now to rile me up or like I said we just aren't vibing yet (it's pre-season though :lol)

GSH
10-22-2016, 07:22 PM
But I'm excited :lol! I love what they did and all the gambles were the right moves IMO. I was early on one of the people really behind getting Gasol because it meant our Starter Lineup was so stacked still and improved over last year's team. Then they gambled on youth and some of them look good.

Im just doing a preemptive strike for Spurs fans expecting SA to have a top 5 bench. It's going to take time. Ups and downs.

LOL. If they can keep the 50 win streak alive, it's a good season. Anything more than that is a bonus. I'm just pleased that the bench they settled on at least has some guys who can score. Maybe enough of them that on most nights a couple will step up and at least keep things competitive. The Summer League was depressing. I feel like they got the most out of the players they had to pick from.

MaNu4Tres
10-22-2016, 07:24 PM
I give up :lol.

I know they are capable or at least can be. Just saying it's not guaranteed. You, by clinging to the "6-8" is what I don't get. Everyone knows the teams best 7 players are the core. However, Spurs are not like most teams that play shallow depth even in the regular season.

If you think guys 8+ are only going to get "empty minutes" then I have no idea where you get that from consisdering even with younger TP/Manu that was never the case in the regular season. I'm saying that TP/Manu minutes will likely go down at least some. The others always get good minutes because Pop doesn't run guys into the ground.

So either your are trolling me now to rile me up or like I said we just aren't vibing yet (it's pre-season though :lol)

By empty minutes, I mean less competitive situations. Yes, I know every game matters but in a long season Pop manages minutes really really well. He optimizes and allocates more minutes in blowouts to guys 8-12,13, he allocates and optimizes minutes of a 2nd of back to backs in a place like Philly to guys 8-12,13. He allocates more minutes to a Kyle Anderson if theres an injury to Danny or if he wants to sit Manu and domino effect occurs -- which opens up minutes for a guy behind Anderson like Simmons to get burn. The empty minutes are scenario dependent and usually happen when competition isnt at the highest or high level. Pop is very efficient and sharpe with the minute management game.

Thats what I mean by empty minutes in a long season.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 07:28 PM
LOL. If they can keep the 50 win streak alive, it's a good season. Anything more than that is a bonus. I'm just pleased that the bench they settled on at least has some guys who can score. Maybe enough of them that on most nights a couple will step up and at least keep things competitive. The Summer League was depressing. I feel like they got the most out of the players they had to pick from.

Agreed. Spurs are in the most difficult position in sports - rebuilding while being a contender. It's hard and will lead to some question marks. That doesn't by default mean it's bad.

I love the upside, but like I said, SA is used to winning 50+ (which I think will easily happen) but also used to huge margins of victory and a great bench. I think that is possible, but there will be ups and downs relying on so much youth. Again, not a bad thing, it was the right move, just have to reset expectations.

ElNono
10-22-2016, 07:44 PM

well, NBA caliber ball-handling is only Manu/Tony, tbh... people been saying the team has been needing a PG that can be more of a playmaker, and I think that's where Nico fits. I have to think Manu and, to an extent, Patty will be playing more SG minutes (along with Simms), especially if Danny continues to be hit and miss or hurt.

As far as LJC, I thought he had "not NBA caliber" written all over him since the summer league, so this news isn't surprising. The "good" news is that I don't think any other team is going to claim him from the Toros in case the Spurs want to take another look.

ElNono
10-22-2016, 07:51 PM
Oh, and it was pretty clear Murray is going to go through the "get over yourself" treatment... especially after Pop pulled him for calling his number one too many times. He's probably going the Anderson route, getting a bigger role next season or even the third year. I liked what I saw from the kid, but his real shot will come around when he's 22... maybe 21 if he shows good flashes.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Oh, and it was pretty clear Murray is going to go through the "get over yourself" treatment... especially after Pop pulled him for calling his number one too many times. He's probably going the Anderson route, getting a bigger role next season or even the third year. I liked what I saw from the kid, but his real shot will come around when he's 22... maybe 21 if he shows good flashes.
Agreed on Murray. Has a lot of potential, but not for right now.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 08:26 PM
Well I remember one thing GSH said: good Spurs teams of the past had a number of guys who were a threat to go off scoring 20 points on any given night. I think this team will at least be able to score the basketball. They have shooters who can go off, on top of a lot of talent in their SL.

I think the major questions are in all the youth and inexperience, guys having to develop chemistry to work well together, and cover for each other defensively, rotations and such, and perhaps the weakest point:

the bench bigs are thin. Lee is undersized for a bench center and Bertans is great as a stretch 4 and more versatile than we thought, but him with Lee is underwhelming. I still hope Dedmon comes through and I am not sure if that is foolish or not but he will be needed, matchup dependent etc. I think bench bigs are the biggest question mark.

spurs10
10-22-2016, 08:35 PM
I didn't know Danny was out for three weeks. It will be interesting to see who takes his place. Haven't had a chance to watch last night's game except for the 4th quarter. I hope LJC does well in Austin, but Lauro and Forbes clearly were more deserving of the spots. I'm excited to see this team.

GSH
10-22-2016, 09:00 PM

If they are going to keep him in SA, I wish they would take the PG duties away and let him slash like Simmons. If they want him developing as a PG, I wish they would just keep him in Austin and force him to focus on playmaking. People keep falling into trap of wanting "combo" players. There just aren't that many players who can pull off a combo role. I think he'd be worth more to the team, and to his own career, if they would pick a role and let him get as good as he can be at it.

ElNono
10-23-2016, 12:05 AM
If they are going to keep him in SA, I wish they would take the PG duties away and let him slash like Simmons. If they want him developing as a PG, I wish they would just keep him in Austin and force him to focus on playmaking. People keep falling into trap of wanting "combo" players. There just aren't that many players who can pull off a combo role. I think he'd be worth more to the team, and to his own career, if they would pick a role and let him get as good as he can be at it.

Pop has always been a fan of scoring PGs anyways, tbh, aging-Manu notwithstanding... I think they're going to take him through "the process", but he's talented.

jiggy_55
10-23-2016, 02:22 AM
For those who have watched some of the preseason games, what did Laprovittola bring to the table that Pop must have liked? In highlight videos, I did see some neat passes here and there but there really aren't any lengthy highlights of him from the preseason. Is he a good defender? A good shooter? What will he bring that the Spurs don't have already in Parker, Mills, and Manu (de facto PG of the second unit)?

Looking at the box scores, he didn't even play the final game which is a little weird if you ask me.. He was a DNP, and he never exceeded 15 minutes in any single game, while guys like Garino and Forbes got more minutes

ElNono
10-23-2016, 04:11 AM
For those who have watched some of the preseason games, what did Laprovittola bring to the table that Pop must have liked? In highlight videos, I did see some neat passes here and there but there really aren't any highlights of him from the preseason. Is he a good defender? A good shooter? What will he bring that the Spurs don't have already in Parker, Mills, and Manu (de facto PG of the second unit)?

Looking at the box scores, he didn't even play the final game which is a little weird if you ask me.. He was a DNP, and he never exceeded 15 minutes in any single game, while guys like Garino and Forbes got more minutes

Floor general, defensively he looked physically strong for a PG of his size. He was confident out there, shooting 3s, running plays. He's more cerebral than athletically gifted, solid is the word that comes to mind. Basically, the exact opposite of young Murray, I thought.

BillMc
10-23-2016, 04:15 AM
Floor general, defensively he looked physically strong for a PG of his size. He was confident out there, shooting 3s, running plays. He's more cerebral than athletically gifted, solid is the word that comes to mind. Basically, the exact opposite of young Murray, I thought.

How close would you say he is to his ceiling? Is there much room for development or is going to be what he is?

jiggy_55
10-23-2016, 04:35 AM

Thanks! Hope we have got ourselves a good and strong 2nd/3rd string PG. With guys like Kawhi, LMA, Pau, we don't need a high scoring point guard, we need someone to facilitate play and make the right passes.

ElNono
10-23-2016, 12:38 PM
How close would you say he is to his ceiling? Is there much room for development or is going to be what he is?

I have no clue, frankly. Hasn't seen him play much more than you guys.

GSH
10-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Pop has always been a fan of scoring PGs anyways, tbh, aging-Manu notwithstanding... I think they're going to take him through "the process", but he's talented.

Meh. You're right about Pop, and he's obviously the one who decides. I've got a good friend who's a coach who always said that point guards are born, and not made. I got in the habit of watching for it, and I sort of decided that he is right. But Pop's got his own philosophy, and he's done pretty well with it.

I agree that Murray has a lot of talent. I had kind of started thinking that, if they would let him just be a 2, and started him working with Chip, he might contribute this year. But he's still just turned 20. And if they are going the other route, that's probably too much to expect.

ceperez
10-23-2016, 01:31 PM

I agree. You have to watch him on extended minutes to see how comfortable he is in running the offense. He could be the best playmaker out there since he dribbles well and can see the entire floor. He also can hit the 3 well. He's got the talent of De Colo, but not the hesitation shooting the 3. Heck, maybe his upside is Steve Nash upside. There was no way that Spurs would let him go.

When he moves in offense, he uses changes of pace rather than quickness to fool his man. The way he handles the ball on dribble is also pretty impressive. Let's just hope he doesn't get called too often for palming violations (considering he's a rookie). He shoots kind of in the style of Curry. More like a push shot not at the peak of his shot. That could be a good thing as evidenced by Curry.

I overall optimistic here.

Regarding Forbes, more like Neal. Not very good at running the offense, but knows how to find the spots to shoot. Also very quick release and like Reddick, can shoot the 3 while moving laterally. If you set him up right, he'll make a ton of baskets.

raybies
10-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Steve Nash upside? Ok.

gambit1990
10-23-2016, 01:38 PM
butler got waived. not that we have room. and he's older now, idk how much he has left.

J_Paco
10-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Meh. You're right about Pop, and he's obviously the one who decides. I've got a good friend who's a coach who always said that point guards are born, and not made. I got in the habit of watching for it, and I sort of decided that he is right. But Pop's got his own philosophy, and he's done pretty well with it.

I agree that Murray has a lot of talent. I had kind of started thinking that, if they would let him just be a 2, and started him working with Chip, he might contribute this year. But he's still just turned 20. And if they are going the other route, that's probably too much to expect.

I think Murray is more a combo guard in a shooting guard's body then an actual point guard too. It seems the coaching staff and most observers see him as a point, though.

I think it is great to load up on young wing players, I'm also happy the didn't waste time keeping Jean-Charles, but I really, really wish they could have found a project SF or PF/C for the last roster spot.

That could still happen if Simmons, Forbes or Larpo (not typing out that last name) are unimpressive or they see someone avaliable that has Aron Baynes, Hassan Whiteside or similar slept on potential.

ace3g
10-23-2016, 03:57 PM
I mentioned his name in the offseason thread and yes I know he wouldn't pull this off in the NBA but it would be nice to have a big that could run a one man fast break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WehUbqdNxo

TimDunkem
10-23-2016, 04:13 PM
lol Holy shit. People are still talking about Anthony Randolph? :lol

Ice009
10-23-2016, 09:30 PM
lol Holy shit. People are still talking about Anthony Randolph? :lol

He's only just turned 27, so he's still not that old. It seems like he's been around for years. Maybe he's still got upside left?

benefactor
10-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Rand:lolph...hell, what's Pops Mensah-Bonsu doing these days?

exstatic
10-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Eight years after being drafted, you really should mention the words "potential" or "upside". Kid never worked on his game, he was just content being in the NBA, at least for a while.

TimDunkem
10-23-2016, 09:37 PM
He's only just turned 27, so he's still not that old. It seems like he's been around for years. Maybe he's still got upside left?
I find it funny that suddenly 27 isn't old for a guy who could never stay in the league, but everyone talks about how little upside Simmons has who is basically the same age.

exstatic
10-23-2016, 09:45 PM
I find it funny that suddenly 27 isn't old for a guy who could never stay in the league, but everyone talks about how little upside Simmons has who is basically the same age.

Simmons has only scratched the surface. The fact that they are the same age is meaningless. Randolph was a first rounder and was given every chance imaginable. Simmons was a mutt who wouldn't quit.

TimDunkem
10-23-2016, 10:02 PM
It's meaningless? The man maybe has a couple of years before his athleticism leaves him and he's nothing but a turnover machine on offense. :lol

spurtech09
10-23-2016, 11:19 PM
How about Jarett Jack...He is 32 yrs old.....You think he has anything left in the tank?

apalisoc_9
10-23-2016, 11:32 PM
Randolph was a very talented offensive dude but he lacked the committment. He was lazy on defense and he had a terrible attitude.

He could have easily grown in a decenth 5th best player in a really good team guy but that never happened and never will. He's happy with the 3 or so million dollars every year..he makes in Europe. Less games, less practice, you won't get paparazi if you go to a hostel and fuck whores etc.

Its a perfect place for a lazy guy with talent to make some decent money and enjoy his life tbh.

TheGreatYacht
10-24-2016, 04:02 AM
Would take Anthony Randolph 10/10 times over Anderson

raybies
10-24-2016, 05:48 AM
Mitch McGary might be getting waived. If he makes it post the waiver wire. Might be someone to look at. At of those crossroads of changing or risk being out of the league. Hampered by injuries but solid skill set.

Also like Zach Auguste.

raybies
10-24-2016, 05:49 AM
Alot of people being waived today.

ceperez
10-24-2016, 06:01 AM

Murray already is better than Green in handling the ball. What he does not have is a reliable shot. That'll take at least a year to develop. I also don't know how bulking up affects one's shot.

GSH
10-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Murray already is better than Green in handling the ball. What he does not have is a reliable shot. That'll take at least a year to develop. I also don't know how bulking up affects one's shot.

I've said several times that Kyle needs to bulk up, but I don't remember saying it about Murray. I said that they should have Murray work with Chip (Engelland - shooting coach), so we agree about his shooting. I always think it's good for young guards to get stronger, but that's far from the biggest priority for him.

Since Murray loves to take it to the rack so much, he'd do well to develop a consistent floater, to punish defenders for waiting for him at the rim. Tony used that for years, and then just got away from using it very much. Murray tosses up some floaters, but not many of them go in. I'd love to read a story about him staying late at the gym every night, practicing the floater.

But you see what I'm talking about. Working on his stroke with Chip, working on a floater, and working on facilitating an offense - all while trying to learn how to cope with the higher-level competition in the NBA? Yeah, that's going to be a long process. Put him in Austin to learn how to run the point well, or keep him in SA and let him slash like Simmons.

tmtcsc
10-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Since Murray loves to take it to the rack so much, he'd do well to develop a consistent floater, to punish defenders for waiting for him at the rim.

This

BD24
10-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Bulking up can make it difficult to keep your shot consistent at times. Hence why Durant never really bulked. It messes up your shot a bit. Since Murray doesn't really have much of a shot at the moment though I'm not sure how much it would really hurt him.

He definitely needs to bulk up though so he can finish when he gets to the rack.

GSH
10-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Yi Jianlan is about to be waived. He could be the best Asian player the Spurs have had since Mengke Bateer. :lol

As bad as Deadmon has looked, I actually had to stop and think about whether Yi could be an upgrade. Tell me Deadmon is going to get better. I want to believe.

sasaint
10-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Yi Jianlan is about to be waived. He could be the best Asian player the Spurs have had since Mengke Bateer. :lol

As bad as Deadmon has looked, I actually had to stop and think about whether Yi could be an upgrade. Tell me Deadmon is going to get better. I want to believe.

Heck, I am ready to give Ryan Kelly a shot.

SPURt
10-24-2016, 01:05 PM
RJ Hunter waived on his birthday... Ouch!

SAGirl
10-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Mitch McGary might be getting waived. If he makes it post the waiver wire. Might be someone to look at. At of those crossroads of changing or risk being out of the league. Hampered by injuries but solid skill set.

Also like Zach Auguste.

He's a pothead. Not the kind of character guy Pop likes and his work ethic is lacking. These guys man, they don't realize how fortunate they are to get paid millions to play a kids game and how quickly that can end. He's got talent, but he hasn't put it together bc his mind is elsewhere. With the youngsters the Spurs have I doubt they bring a bad Apple in to the mix ( heh probably wouldn't bring him in even if there were no youngsters I am guessing).

sasaint
10-24-2016, 01:34 PM
RJ Hunter waived on his birthday... Ouch!

Plenty of pre-draft projections had the Spurs taking Hunter. But it seems like he would be a redundancy on the Spurs now. Danny Ainge is looking pretty bad with his election to retain all those draft picks he stockpiled. He will probably end up just waiving some of the players he picked or making less-than-great trades. He probably could've gotten better value if he hadn't been so stubborn at the last draft.

raybies
10-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Tyler Ennis waived
Archie Goodwin waived

Chinook
10-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Archie is an interesting one.

rastaspur
10-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Simmons has only scratched the surface. The fact that they are the same age is meaningless. Randolph was a first rounder and was given every chance imaginable. Simmons was a mutt who wouldn't quit.

Well said.

rastaspur
10-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Archie goodwin has decent upside imo. Someone will probably pick him up.

SAGirl
10-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Tyler Ennis waived
Archie Goodwin waived
Wow :wow
Goodwin could be better than J.Simms IMO... same athletic ability, better ballhandling, very young still, length. It's too bad.

SAGirl
10-24-2016, 03:11 PM
All these young wings waived... Spurs weren't getting a 2nd round pick for Simmons... :lol

ceperez
10-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Bulking up can make it difficult to keep your shot consistent at times. Hence why Durant never really bulked. It messes up your shot a bit. Since Murray doesn't really have much of a shot at the moment though I'm not sure how much it would really hurt him.

He definitely needs to bulk up though so he can finish when he gets to the rack.

Well, the need to shoot and the need to bulk up seem to be two goals that is going to mess up Murray for a while. Looks like Austin is the place to mess up.

sasaint
10-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Archie goodwin has decent upside imo. Someone will probably pick him up.

Maybe from Phoenix to Sacramento... from the frying pan into the fire. That would be a pity. Under many circumstances, I would like to see the Spurs pick him up, but I just don't see it at this time.

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2016, 03:23 PM
Archie Goodwin has a lot of potential, but doesn't he have some locker room/off-court issues? Can't see this franchise tolerating that, tbh..

SAGirl
10-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Archie Goodwin has a lot of potential, but doesn't he have some locker room/off-court issues? Can't see this franchise tolerating that, tbh..
I really don't know about that.
He only just turned 22 in August too. He would be the youngest dude in the Spurs right now except Murray. He's very young still, but yea I don't know about off court issues. I have never heard him be in legal trouble for example....

raybies
10-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Wow :wow
Goodwin could be better than J.Simms IMO... same athletic ability, better ballhandling, very young still, length. It's too bad.

In fairness though, Goodwin can't shoot. Would like to see some of these guys in Austin though.

Lots of first round picks being waived this year. Unusual to me. Ennis may of been overrated but he hasn't been properly developed. I'd like to see him in Philly.

I know what's been said about McGary, but I'd take a flyer on him and put him in Austin to see if he can make good. It'd be nice to have a solid prospect in the pipeline. You just never know if/when they'll turn the corner. But he's definitely someone you want to be first in line for considering our depth at that position. He messes up again and he can be dropped. No big deal.

BD24
10-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Well, the need to shoot and the need to bulk up seem to be two goals that is going to mess up Murray for a while. Looks like Austin is the place to mess up.
Definitely a project, but he has super high upside, hopefully he has as great as work ethic as rumored.

apalisoc_9
10-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Surprised they cut Goodwin...he's probably beefing with booker and the other younger guys.

Kawhitstorm
10-24-2016, 03:31 PM

Goodwin is most likely going to end up in Sacramento b/c they need a ball-handler & he's also buddies w/ Cousins. In any case:

xXIT4ykqLy0

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Phoenix destroyed their franchise so quickly, what a pathetic job, tbh..they looked like the next up and coming franchise, just 3 years ago, with a ton of assets and flexibility to make a splash..what a disaster..