PDA

View Full Version : Opening Night Roster Pic

Spurs9
10-22-2016, 04:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4tR5Izh.png

I like this team, I think we got a shot at taking down Warriors tbh.

wildbill2u
10-22-2016, 04:59 PM
First eight in that pic are known quantities. I'm reserving my opinion on Simmons although I'd like to see him breakout. The rest have potentials and possibilities which, if things fall right, could help put this year's team back in the playoffs as a contender. Excited about the season. The fun story of the season will be watching the new guys.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 05:26 PM
First eight in that pic are known quantities. I'm reserving my opinion on Simmons although I'd like to see him breakout. The rest have potentials and possibilities which, if things fall right, could help put this year's team back in the playoffs as a contender. Excited about the season. The fun story of the season will be watching the new guys.

At least those new guys can score the basketball and shoot. It should be fun to watch.

Chinook
10-22-2016, 05:30 PM
I say start Simmons. Dude plays his best ball when there's no pressure on him, and with Green ailing and no other options, I think he'll do all right. Just don't put him on Curry. Hell, let him and Draymond go at it.

DPG21920
10-22-2016, 05:36 PM
I say start Simmons. Dude plays his best ball when there's no pressure on him, and with Green ailing and no other options, I think he'll do all right. Just don't put him on Curry. Hell, let him and Draymond go at it.

Yup. I agree 100%. He will bring a slashing element that Danny doesn't bring as well and he has actually shot the 3 ball well enough.

With regards to Dray, he shoul be easier to hide Guys on this year. For one Id rather Draymond shoot it than any other player and with all their talent they aren't going to force it to him anyways even with a mis-match.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 06:01 PM

I agree. I didn't suggest him earlier bc: (1) he was injured, and (2) his status in the team was not clear (with Garino not being waived last night, I think Spurs were still mulling over who to keep and who to cut). But anyways, now that the Spurs made their choice to give Simmons his opportunity, this is as good a game as any to start getting him tested and steeled for the pressure. Also, it goes right with Pop's preferences in the past of leaving the bench as they are in order to not affect their chemistry.

Except the bench itself is an amorphous state with their chemistry not established. It's not even clear to me which bigs Pop is going to bring from the bench. I hope he has realized by now that Dedmon/Lee can't play together (or at least not well).

There are more questions for that game than who takes the Danny minutes I think.

TheGreatYacht
10-22-2016, 06:05 PM
I remember Simmons talking shit to Curry last year :lol he couldn't stop him, but not many can, and I liked the defense he was playing on him

Blackjack
10-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Thought Blake Griffin was on our bench for a second there.

Nathan89
10-22-2016, 08:26 PM

Have to have a 1 big lineup to put him on Draymond.

jhfenton
10-22-2016, 08:32 PM
Thought Blake Griffin was on our bench for a second there.

I did too. I did a double-take when I looked at it on my phone.

SPURt
10-22-2016, 08:32 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/srcstc.gif

DeRozan m8
10-22-2016, 09:25 PM
BERTANS GONNA KILL IT

sasaint
10-22-2016, 10:04 PM
I agree. I didn't suggest him earlier bc: (1) he was injured, and (2) his status in the team was not clear (with Garino not being waived last night, I think Spurs were still mulling over who to keep and who to cut). But anyways, now that the Spurs made their choice to give Simmons his opportunity, this is as good a game as any to start getting him tested and steeled for the pressure. Also, it goes right with Pop's preferences in the past of leaving the bench as they are in order to not affect their chemistry.

Except the bench itself is an amorphous state with their chemistry not established. It's not even clear to me which bigs Pop is going to bring from the bench. I hope he has realized by now that Dedmon/Lee can't play together (or at least not well).

There are more questions for that game than who takes the Danny minutes I think.

Not sure how to reconcile these two statements. By "bench" I thought you meant "second unit" in the first comment. Who do you think the bench is that Pop would leave as is if Simmons were to start?

sasaint
10-22-2016, 10:13 PM
When was the last season that the Spurs only had 8 holdovers?

CP48107
10-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Thought Blake Griffin was on our bench for a second there.:lol

BillMc
10-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Only 5 guys left from the 2014 championship team.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 10:41 PM
Not sure how to reconcile these two statements. By "bench" I thought you meant "second unit" in the first comment. Who do you think the bench is that Pop would leave as is if Simmons were to start?

I'd think the bench is Mills, Manu, KA, Bertans, Lee. Dedmon and Simmons are between the 11th-12th and matchup dependent when everyone is healthy. So if Pop didn't want to alter rotations much (specially to leave the main bench crew the 6th-10th time together on the court to gel), he'd just play Simmons less minutes but make some of those the Danny minutes. I am not sure how to work it out, maybe start him 5 minutes in the 1st and 3rd Q for example, give the rest of the minutes to Anderson.

OTOH, I am unsure if Pop will do that, bc he has preferred to start Anderson in the past when Kiwi has been injured, and from what I have seen Anderson has swapped spots with Kiwi for practices, so he probably has the better chemistry with the starters and that might be what Pop does. It's hard to tell. I'd just want Anderson to get playing time with the bench somewhere in there, so that when Danny gets back to the rotation, the bench is gelling and doesn't have a change in characters.

In reality, it's hard to say how everything goes. A lot depends on Simmons play.

sasaint
10-22-2016, 10:49 PM
I'd think the bench is Mills, Manu, KA, Bertans, Lee. Dedmon and Simmons are between the 11th-12th and matchup dependent when everyone is healthy. So if Pop didn't want to alter rotations much (specially to leave the main bench crew the 6th-10th time together on the court to gel), he'd just play Simmons less minutes but make some of those the Danny minutes. I am not sure how to work it out, maybe start him 5 minutes in the 1st and 3rd Q for example, give the rest of the minutes to Anderson.

OTOH, I am unsure if Pop will do that, bc he has preferred to start Anderson in the past when Kiwi has been injured, and from what I have seen Anderson has swapped spots with Kiwi for practices, so he probably has the better chemistry with the starters and that might be what Pop does. It's hard to tell. I'd just want Anderson to get playing time with the bench somewhere in there, so that when Danny gets back to the rotation, the bench is gelling and doesn't have a change in characters.

In reality, it's hard to say how everything goes. A lot depends on Simmons play.

Okay, so when you say "bench" you do mean "second unit." (Btw, when did you start calling him Kiwi? I thought that's what his detractors called him. :lol)

BillMc
10-22-2016, 10:49 PM
When was the last time the Spurs carried 4 rookies on their team?

sasaint
10-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Only 5 guys left from the 2014 championship team.

The kind of turnover that Spurs fans aren't used to - especially when one of the missing is TD... A lot to get used to.

SAGirl
10-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Okay, so when you say "bench" you do mean "second unit." (Btw, when did you start calling him Kiwi? I thought that's what his detractors called him. :lol)
lol I don't know if his detractors use that, it's easier to type bc autocorrect changes his name for me and it's annoying as heck.

Kiwi to me is endearing. Dijon too.

Pejorative terms are the fathead and all the variations, Porker, Manure, etc.

Slowmo to me is endearing since Anderson likes it...

Austin_Toros
10-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Is anybody else worried about our roster? There have been a lot of changes and I don't feel as confident as I was in recent years...

BillMc
10-22-2016, 10:57 PM
The kind of turnover that Spurs fans aren't used to - especially when one of the missing is TD... A lot to get used to.

Yep.

What a strange world its become.

BillMc
10-22-2016, 11:00 PM
Is anybody else worried about our roster? There have been a lot of changes and I don't feel as confident as I was in recent years...

Pau was the best available TD replacement 4 rookies means the youth movement has started. All necessary evils.

But, yeah, I'm a little nervous too. Fortunately, the league as a whole isn't very good now. Team has time to gel and can still get 2 to 3 seed.

spurs10
10-22-2016, 11:04 PM
When was the last time the Spurs carried 4 rookies on their team? Yeah it's wild! I wonder how Pop is going to fill in for Danny in the opening weeks. Chinook suggested Simmons, but he was hurt too last I saw. Still haven't seen last night's game.

BillMc
10-22-2016, 11:12 PM
Yeah it's wild! I wonder how Pop is going to fill in for Danny in the opening weeks. Chinook suggested Simmons, but he was hurt too last I saw. Still haven't seen last night's game.

I would think that it would be Kyle starting at the 3 with Kawhi moving over to the 2. But maybe it will be Simmons. No idea.

BillMc
10-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Just once, I'd like to see for fun a small ball lineup of 3 point death consisting of Forbes, Patty, Green, Kawhi and Bertans. :lol Let Kawhi initiate the offense...

sasaint
10-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Just once, I'd like to see for fun a small ball lineup of 3 point death consisting of Forbes, Patty, Green, Kawhi and Bertans. :lol Let Kawhi initiate the offense...

:lol The Three Point Death lineup. I love it. Hope we do see it at some point. But that may be mad science beyond even Pop!

BillMc
10-22-2016, 11:39 PM
:lol The Three Point Death lineup. I love it. Hope we do see it at some point. But that may be mad science beyond even Pop!

It's a long season. Pop must entertain us! :lol

Spurtacular
10-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Doesn't look right w/o Duncan, tbh.

timtonymanu
10-22-2016, 11:42 PM

Remember det time some posters on here wanted Simmons to take over Green :lmao

Mikeanaro
10-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Like this team, has potential, the only two that scare my complete joy are Parker and Green.

Russo21
10-23-2016, 10:49 AM
By Spurs standards it seems like such a top heavy roster with known quantities Pau, LMA, Kawhi, Green, Parker, Manu, Mills and to a lesser extent Lee and Simmons. Then there is this very young, new bench with a lot of unknowns.

Hopefully we get to know their game soon enough and we know what our depth chart looks like. Hopefully some of them become endearing to the fans and we can look forward to seeing them on the court. The roster picture nearly makes you wonder which team you're looking at. Exaggeration but you get what I'm saying.

SPURt
10-23-2016, 11:50 AM
I feel like I'm in the minority but I love this roster! I'm mostly glad Pop and RC are at the helm. Ginobili and Parker came from a similar type of period. I doubt any of us thought HoF the first time we saw either player. I know losing TD is tough for all of us but look at the team he left compared to Kobe and the Lakers. This is going to be an enjoyable season!

HankChinaski
10-23-2016, 12:19 PM
I feel old now not seeing Duncan on the roster.

Sean Cagney
10-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Doesn't look right w/o Duncan, tbh.

This.......

RD2191
10-23-2016, 12:59 PM
TP will hold us back (again) this season.

SouthernFried
10-23-2016, 05:12 PM
As long as Parker is in the starting lineup, I have little hope for this team. And he's gonna stay there for the foreseeable future it seems. It is what it is...

Nathan89
10-23-2016, 05:14 PM
TP will hold us back (again) this season.

By far the most aggravating player to watch.

r0drig0lac
10-23-2016, 05:40 PM
I feel like I'm in the minority but I love this roster! I'm mostly glad Pop and RC are at the helm. Ginobili and Parker came from a similar type of period. I doubt any of us thought HoF the first time we saw either player. I know losing TD is tough for all of us but look at the team he left compared to Kobe and the Lakers. This is going to be an enjoyable season!
agree
it seems clear that Kyle will start while Danny is injured

Russ
10-23-2016, 05:59 PM
agree
it seems clear that Kyle will start while Danny is injured

Hopefully his ankles will be well-taped Tuesday night. :)

alpha_HaZE
10-23-2016, 06:05 PM
One thing is for sure, that's a hungry team!