PDA

View Full Version : 2017 "Expert" Predictions

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Spurs still getting a lot of love here fwiw. I was pleasantly surprised. Isaiah Thomas picked SA out of the west :wow probably just predicting an injury or bad chemistry for GS but it's still cool. And of course a lot of 3peat predictions for the Klaw :king Not bad for NBA.com's "experts", it was almost unanimously GS but I didn't think anyone would deviate.

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/10/17/2016-17-season-preview-nba-tv-nbacom-expert-predictions

apalisoc_9
10-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Anyone who picks the spurs or any team beside the warriors or Cavs is what I would call trying too hard.

Also no Leonard MVP..another stupidity.

TheGreatYacht
10-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Lebron is a lock for MVP

phxspurfan
10-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Anyone who doesn't pick the Dubs to win it all is just trying to get ratings/views

spursistan
10-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Anyone who picks the spurs or any team beside the warriors or Cavs is what I would call trying too hard.

pre-season make-up vote for Lebron after his Final performance in full effect (zero votes for Curry :lol)..2017 MVP is 'Bron Jordan's 1998 after he outplayed Choke-alone...

It going to take Kawhi making another big leap + LBJ showing legit sings of decline along with his coasting or Spurs get the overall top seed, which is unlikely..

boutons_deux
10-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Anyone who doesn't pick the Dubs to win it all is just trying to get ratings/views

W's should be on a 2013-2014-Spurs type mission, trying to erase losing a 3-1 Finals lead.

Perry Mason
10-24-2016, 11:19 AM

Not sure about that. Someone should bring up the predictions in 2013. Those deep in the know (i.e. Spurstalk) knew the Spurs were the choice to come out of the West after the 2012 successes. Everyone instead picked the Lakers (lol), and a handful picked OKC. One guy, Hollister or Arnovitz, picked the Spurs.

spurs10
10-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Spurs were given respect. All in all the 'predictions' were predictable.

GSH
10-24-2016, 11:53 AM
I hate starting new threads. This looked like a good place to throw some off-season fodder. "Which teams have the best winning percentage in NBA history":

http://hoopshype.com/2016/10/06/which-nba-teams-have-the-best-winning-percentage-in-history/

apalisoc_9
10-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Not sure about that. Someone should bring up the predictions in 2013. Those deep in the know (i.e. Spurstalk) knew the Spurs were the choice to come out of the West after the 2012 successes. Everyone instead picked the Lakers (lol), and a handful picked OKC. One guy, Hollister or Arnovitz, picked the Spurs.

Sure, but this warrio team already tastes success amd won 73 games..They just added a top 5 player.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Isaiah Thomas also thinks the Kings are a sleeper team to make the playoffs :lol

Obstructed_View
10-24-2016, 01:12 PM
ITT a guard for the Celtics is making predictions. :downspin:

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 03:26 PM

Yeah, hence the "fwiw" acronym. I mean it's fun to read that but ultimately you're right.

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 03:27 PM
ITT a guard for the Celtics is making predictions. :downspin:

:lol

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2016, 03:28 PM

If you check these "expert predictions" from ESPN and/or ex-NBA players in past years, they're virtually always atrocious and horribly inaccurate, tbh:lol

Ex-players are atrocious at making predictions(Barkley being the notorious example)..IIRC, Barkley and McGrady said the Grizzlies and Blazers were the best teams in the West, 2 years ago:lol

The best example being the NFL picks segment on Fox, where several comedians(Frank Caliendo was one, can't remember the others) destroyed the ex-players in weekly picks throughout an entire season..

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 03:35 PM
If you check these "expert predictions" from ESPN and/or ex-NBA players in past years, they're virtually always atrocious and horribly inaccurate, tbh:lol

Ex-players are atrocious at making predictions(Barkley being the notorious example)..IIRC, Barkley and McGrady said the Grizzlies and Blazers were the best teams in the West, 2 years ago:lol

The best example being the NFL picks segment on Fox, where several comedians(Frank Caliendo was one, can't remember the others) destroyed the ex-players in weekly picks throughout an entire season..

Ex-players are the worst, I agree. Sometimes being on the inside for so long warps your brain and you see things differently, incorrectly. Doesn't old Chucky Barkley get me right from time to time though?

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Ex-players are the worst, I agree. Sometimes being on the inside for so long warps your brain and you see things differently, incorrectly. Doesn't old Chucky Barkley get me right from time to time though?

He called the 2011 Mavs and last year's Cavs IIRC..been wrong on every other Finals prediction since 2010(at least), though:lol

Dan LeBatard on ESPN has a radio show, and he frequently plays mixed clips of "expert analysts", mostly his ESPN colleagues, making outrageously wrong predictions:lol

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 04:03 PM
He called the 2011 Mavs and last year's Cavs IIRC..been wrong on every other Finals prediction since 2010(at least), though:lol

Dan LeBatard on ESPN has a radio show, and he frequently plays mixed clips of "expert analysts", mostly his ESPN colleagues, making outrageously wrong predictions:lol

Yeah LeBatard isn't bad, I listen to him from time to time. I've not heard that segment though!

cd98
10-24-2016, 04:04 PM
Isaiah Thomas also thinks the Kings are a sleeper team to make the playoffs :lol

Someone needs to take the mic from that guy before he hurts himself.

Seventyniner
10-24-2016, 07:53 PM
I hate starting new threads. This looked like a good place to throw some off-season fodder. "Which teams have the best winning percentage in NBA history":

http://hoopshype.com/2016/10/06/which-nba-teams-have-the-best-winning-percentage-in-history/

I remember the Spurs passing the Lakers in the last few years but I didn't realize they had opened up a 1.7% gap on them, that's pretty massive. Shouldn't be surprising with the Spurs' 67 wins last year and the Lakers being terrible recently, but I'm surprised nonetheless.

Cry Havoc
10-24-2016, 08:14 PM

I dunno. They're certainly the best team as it stands, but I could honestly see them getting a lot of injuries.

They're going to take every team's best shot every single night. If Durant, Green, or Steph go down, they're by no means unstoppable. And I think that's somewhat likely to happen.

GSH
10-24-2016, 08:26 PM
I remember the Spurs passing the Lakers in the last few years but I didn't realize they had opened up a 1.7% gap on them, that's pretty massive. Shouldn't be surprising with the Spurs' 67 wins last year and the Lakers being terrible recently, but I'm surprised nonetheless.

The thing that makes the Spurs' record so remarkable is that they have been at or near the bottom of the draft order for so long. These other teams are getting regular talent infusions at a cheap price. And as much credit as they get, it's still not enough. Admittedly, Robinson and Duncan were generational talents that they got from 1st overall picks. But the best record over time means you're getting the worst picks in the drafts. It's freaking genius what they have done.

SpurPadre
10-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Lebron is a lock for MVP

He's going to be 32 in a couple months and has a lot of mileage. He's no lock, tbh.

SpurPadre
10-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Speaking of predictions, I've seen some people speculate that ratings will go down this season because people are taking it as a foregone conclusion that the Dubs have bought themselves a Championship and therefore, there's no point in watching games outside of their games.

tonight...you
10-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Speaking of predictions, I've seen some people speculate that ratings will go down this season because people are taking it as a foregone conclusion that the Dubs have bought themselves a Championship and therefore, there's no point in watching games outside of their games.
Silver should have made the "Stern" decision then. Missed opportunity for competition, as what Stern would have been thinking about, that whore...

UZER
10-24-2016, 08:48 PM

Durant going to GS has definitely killed some of the regular season buzz. I will always watch the Spurs because I'm a die hard fan, but I've already had it to 'here' with the Warriors from the past two seasons and this one hasn't even started yet.

SpurPadre
10-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Silver should have made the "Stern" decision then. Missed opportunity for competition, as what Stern would have been thinking about, that whore...

Forcing Durant to the Sixers would've been poetic justice.

tonight...you
10-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Forcing Durant to the Sixers would've been poetic justice.

Stern to KD going to GS:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3673181/lord-take-me-now-o.gif

SpurPadre
10-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Durant going to GS has definitely killed some of the regular season buzz. I will always watch the Spurs because I'm a die hard fan, but I've already had it to 'here' with the Warriors from the past two seasons and this one hasn't even started yet.

Even living here in the Bay Area, I hear people saying they know they already have this in the bag so they won't bother tuning in to other NBA games besides their Warriors. Like you, I'll continue to watch Spurs games, at least as many as I can living here and will be at the Oracle on Tuesday...but I could really care less about the league. Not that I ever watch much non-Spurs related basketball anyways but this latest attempt at a bought title has killed league interest for me and for many others I'm sure.

Spur|n|Austin
10-24-2016, 08:54 PM
I dunno. They're certainly the best team as it stands, but I could honestly see them getting a lot of injuries.

They're going to take every team's best shot every single night. If Durant, Green, or Steph go down, they're by no means unstoppable. And I think that's somewhat likely to happen.

Throw in chemistry issues and they are very beatable.

SpurPadre
10-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Stern to KD going to GS:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3673181/lord-take-me-now-o.gif

It's surprising he did that considering how much he always favored the big market teams, tbh.

tonight...you
10-24-2016, 09:06 PM
It's surprising he did that considering how much he always favored the big market teams, tbh.
Well... he did "own" the team that was doing the stupid-ass trade for CP3. He would have looked like a shill for the Lakers, should he have let that trade go through.

SpurPadre
10-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Well... he did "own" the team that was doing the stupid-ass trade for CP3. He would have looked like a shill for the Lakers, should he have let that trade go through.

Oh yeah, forgot about that key factoid.

UZER
10-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Throw in chemistry issues and they are very beatable.

Durant going there already trying so hard to be one of the 'cool kids' with his new look-away antics is pathetic. He's like that kid that all of a sudden comes to school one day wearing clothes in a style that no one really buys into. They just feel sorry for him trying so hard.

I don't think they're unstoppable. I'm just tired of them all overall already.

tonight...you
10-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Durant going there already trying so hard to be one of the 'cool kids' with his new look-away antics is pathetic. He's like that kid that all of a sudden comes to school one day wearing clothes in a style that no one really buys into. They just feel sorry for him trying so hard.

I don't think they're unstoppable. I'm just tired of them all overall already.
How many times do you think he's going to shoot a 3 and then run back, celebrating, as it's in the air, the 1st game? I expect, at least, once. He's such a faking bitch, and I know faking bitches...
I hope Pop firmly entrenches Kawhi, firmly, in that old boy's ass. Win, or lose. Give that boy a feel for some D that's coming his way.