PDA

View Full Version : Pop's Legacy is at stake this year

dabom
10-24-2016, 02:33 PM
Will people remember him as being carried by Tim fucking Duncan his whole career, or someone that actually was a maestro. Pop will get desperate. We all know he has the biggest ego on the team. He already dropped Bonner. He means business this year. He knows what's at stake.

J_Paco
10-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Will people remember him as being carried by Tim fucking Duncan his whole career, or someone that actually was a maestro. Pop will get desperate. We all know he has the biggest ego on the team. He already dropped Bonner. He means business this year. He knows what's at stake.

Your takes just get more and more stupid.

Pop and Timmy were a partnership, buddy. Who is to say that Timmy would have reached his level of accomplishment and longevity under any other coach?

Pop is an all-time great coach (top 5) no matter what happens the next 3, 4 or 5 years. His greatness was cemented in 2014.

Only a dumbass like you would call into question that. In particular when the team is going through a transitional phase and the greatest player in franchise history just retired.

dabom
10-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Not quite yet, cuck. :lol

J_Paco
10-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Not quite yet, cuck. :lol

And of course your rebuttal is juvenile, nonsense. Take a bow, imbecile.

Your prize is waiting for you in traffic. Run out in front of the nearest moving vehicle and earn your reward.

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2016, 02:48 PM
No it isn't.

Pop's going into the Hall of Fame almost literally the moment he lets them consider him. Nothing that happens from here on out, unless he murders someone, is going to change that.

r0drig0lac
10-24-2016, 02:49 PM
wtf

Dre_7
10-24-2016, 02:51 PM
No it is not. :lol

dabom
10-24-2016, 02:55 PM
No one is talking hall of fame. He just won't be in the conversation as Phil Jackson.

Chinook
10-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Pop let one player carry him. Phil let how many?

Yuixafun
10-24-2016, 02:57 PM
I agree 2014... will forever cement Pop as legit.

To come back from the edge of oblivion for an aged team, letting 2013 slip away...

Pop was doing damage control the second they lost game 7.

He had to heal the team, even as he himself was must have felt mortally wounded.

Of course I marvel at the merit of the team as a whole, each player showed their colors, but Pop had to be the real Merlin.

The 5 second breakdown of Pop on the bench, after guiding the Spurs all all they was back from the underworld a year later, still makes me tear up.

It's probably the first time all year he could finally breathe. So much love for his players, passion for the game, validation as a coach, and just being really happy at what they were able to accomplish and become all rolled into one fascinating little clip.

That Majesty of the human spirit in sports is why I'm always interested. It's the climb.

*edit I don't think Pop really cares one way or the other... I'm sure he would be glad to win another, but not for any such petty reason as "See I could win one without Timmy" but moreso that it means he was able to guide and develop another group of character men to a championship.

dabom
10-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Pop is lucky Tony got injured in that okc series. :lol

J_Paco
10-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Pop is lucky Tony got injured in that okc series. :lol

We all are unlucky that you decided to become a Spurs fan.

I. Hustle
10-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Pop let one player carry him. Phil let how many?

This.

People are still on Phil's nuts though.

szkorhetz
10-24-2016, 03:11 PM
Was 2014 really because of Pop?
I mean, 2003 and 05 teams were clearly built against lakers/mavs but 2014 was more luck, TBH. Not the finals, but getting the rematch. OKC clearly had momentum, and if Porker is not getting that injury...

When did Pop really changed a series? When did his tweaks really go his way?

spursistan
10-24-2016, 03:12 PM
One word: Fathead

Surprised this thought didn't cross your mind :lol

cd98
10-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Dumb. No coach has won without all-star caliber players. Pop has proved himself to everyone but Spurstalk posters that are bored after a long offseason with nothing to talk about.

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Pop has a better reputation with casual fans than Tim, unfortunately, tbh..

BD24
10-24-2016, 03:15 PM
hahaha. This cat is on point :toast

dabom
10-24-2016, 03:21 PM
hahaha. This cat is on point :toast

You talk more about me than the Spurs. My fans. :lol

dabom
10-24-2016, 03:22 PM
One word: Fathead

Surprised this thought didn't cross your mind :lol

He can't shoot threes though. :lol

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2016, 03:24 PM

:lmao..

Who is that poster, tbh? Can't remember ever seeing him post here before..

J_Paco
10-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Was 2014 really because of Pop?
I mean, 2003 and 05 teams were clearly built against lakers/mavs but 2014 was more luck, TBH. Not the finals, but getting the rematch. OKC clearly had momentum, and if Porker is not getting that injury...

When did Pop really changed a series? When did his tweaks really go his way?

Every team runs into some "luck," so that argument is useless. The team won because of great coaching, players that knew and accepted their roles amazingly well.

All that shit is pointless (to argue) when the end result (×5 NBA championship) was what he led them to. That team was also hit by injuries throughout the regular season (he used 30 starting lineups) and didn't play anyone above 30 MPG.

Or do you remember any vital or strategic changes from '99, '03, '05, or '07 that propelled the team to the title?

picnroll
10-24-2016, 03:30 PM
How much would it cost to designate someone not being allowed to begin threads for a year?

dabom
10-24-2016, 03:30 PM
:lmao..

Who is that poster, tbh? Can't remember ever seeing him post here before..

He posted for a short time after people could sign in and I embarrass him when he insinuated he was a homo. He stopped posting after that. Sparingly "tries" to make fun of me. :lol

Raven
10-24-2016, 03:31 PM
pretty sure he barely cares.

BD24
Whatever you think bro. Dafakengineer at it again.

dabom
How much would it cost to designate someone not being allowed to begin threads for a year?

I mean it would cost next to nothing to make a new name...

dbreiden83080
10-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Well the team will play well, but they won't win a chip.

Solid D
10-24-2016, 03:42 PM
https://igniteinspiration.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/mainstream.jpg?w=700

dabom's world

Trueblood
10-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Pop and Timmy were a partnership, buddy. Who is to say that Timmy would have reached his level of accomplishment and longevity under any other coach?

Pop is an all-time great coach (top 5) no matter what happens the next 3, 4 or 5 years. His greatness was cemented in 2014.

Only a dumbass like you would call into question that. In particular when the team is going through a transitional phase and the greatest player in franchise history just retired.

+1

alpha_HaZE
10-24-2016, 07:03 PM

Very well said!

Pop is one the best regardless of this year.

rastaspur
10-24-2016, 07:11 PM

:lol nice comeback, paco

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Pop's legacy is solidified. He really can only add to his legacy at this point.

J_Paco
10-24-2016, 07:20 PM
:lol nice comeback, paco

Thanks, but now he's gone from bashing (old, declining) Parker, Kyle Anderson and now questioning the legacy of one of the greatest NBA coaches ever.

Just ridiculous, TBH.

tonight...you
10-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Thanks, but now he's gone from bashing (old, declining) Parker, Kyle Anderson and now questioning the legacy of one of the greatest NBA coaches ever.

Just ridiculous, TBH.
Bud, he ain't gone from them. He's just doing God's work, here on ST. You may not understand it, but I do. Old boy works here...

Like it, or not, we need him. Especially as we progress into this new era of less censorship and moderation (from what's been told) that we are heading into.
He's like a shepherd, and you are the sheep.

He generates the talk, even when there isn't much to talk about. dabomvp

GSH
10-24-2016, 07:31 PM
If the Spurs win it all, does it tarnish Tim's legacy?

rastaspur
10-24-2016, 07:35 PM
If the Spurs win it all, does it tarnish Tim's legacy?

Nope. Just reiterates to me that the spurs could have won a trophy last year if tims good knee doesnt go bad

dabom
10-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Bud, he ain't gone from them. He's just doing God's work, here on ST. You may not understand it, but I do. Old boy works here...

Like it, or not, we need him. Especially as we progress into this new era of less censorship and moderation (from what's been told) that we are heading into.
He's like a shepherd, and you are the sheep.

He generates the talk, even when there isn't much to talk about. dabom (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=47543)vp

I work in mysterious ways... :lol

tonight...you
10-24-2016, 08:30 PM
I work in mysterious ways... :lol
And I shut shit down... Damn, I would like more discourse.

lefty
10-24-2016, 09:50 PM
OP is right tbh....

Pop got carried by Duncan.

Lol getting pwned by Avery fucking Johnson
Lol pwned by Phil
Lol giving away an offensive rebound to Miami by letting Tim on the bench.. Who The Fuck does that??????
Lol tanking

TheGreatYacht
10-25-2016, 01:15 AM
OP is right tbh....

Pop got carried by Duncan.

Lol getting pwned by Avery fucking Johnson
Lol pwned by Phil
Lol giving away an offensive rebound to Miami by letting Tim on the bench.. Who The Fuck does that??????
Lol tanking
:wow

phxspurfan
10-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Worst post. Not even close to a good take. Pop has nothing to prove, he's already one of the all-time greats.

edit: one thing that would make his legacy greater is repeating, but that of course isn't happening this year.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-25-2016, 11:27 AM

More like his legacy was cemented in like 07

lefty
10-25-2016, 11:32 AM
lol he got cemented in cement by Avery fucking Johnson and KFC in some construction site

Sean Cagney
10-25-2016, 02:11 PM
No it is not. :lol

^^^

TheGreatYacht
10-25-2016, 02:18 PM
And the idiot starts Kyle Anderson against the Warriors :lol

Jesus Christ. Tim Duncan, the REAL system, come back :depressed

lefty
10-25-2016, 09:04 PM
And the idiot starts Kyle Anderson against the Warriors :lol

Jesus Christ. Tim Duncan, the REAL system, come back :depressed

tmtcsc
10-25-2016, 09:20 PM
OP is a faggot.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-26-2016, 03:22 AM
Pop coached his ass off. Very sharp, quick to counter, quick to call timeouts, shortened the rotation when needed, kept the hot hand in the game.

Wish he'd coach like this in the playoffs too, which has been lacking the past couple of seasons.

dabom
10-26-2016, 08:31 AM
You just know he has the biggest ego in the room. He ain't fucking around this year.

midnightpulp
10-26-2016, 09:22 AM
He's the greatest "coach" ever. Nothing he does or doesn't do won't change that fact this season.

The reason I'm definitely stating such is because it's been proven with numerous studies that coaching doesn't have much of an impact on overall team performance. See here: https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/ijsf4-2coachingpaper.pdf

In fact Pop and Phil were only marginally better than the worse NBA head coaches.

We as fans overrate the impact of "systems" "sets" "schemes" and "plays." A basketball game will always be 99% decided by the team who is more skilled and athletic. Not which team runs the fancier X's and O's variation. For evidence, look at last year's OKC team. They didn't run anything. Pretty much freelanced everything with ISO sets, and were looking like a sure title winner until Durant sabotaged the series. Then you have Cleveland. Everything they do is pretty much generated off Lebron penetration. Nothing fancy there. And now Tyrone Lue has the same amount rings as Larry Brown :lol

So why do I say Pop is the greatest ever? Where NBA basketball is really won is on the scouting, development, and roster building side of things, and since Pop installed himself as GM and then President of Basketball Operations, the Spurs have been a tier above the rest in those key areas.

When we suffer a rough playoff exit, it really does come down to the fact we just couldn't hit shots, as Pop has said many times. I used to think he was being sardonic in that regard, but not anymore. Sure, Pop's made some questionable lineup changes during key playoff moments, and the lineup a coach chooses to send out is the in-game action action he's most responsible for, but beyond that, players really do win games. Not X's and O's sprung from the mind of head coaches.

MultiTroll
10-26-2016, 09:40 AM
He already dropped Bonner. He means business this year. He knows what's at stake.
What a bold, Championship chasing move.

houston spurs fan
10-26-2016, 11:04 AM
OP is a faggot.

dabom
10-28-2016, 12:49 AM
Pop not fucking around with those substitutions tonight. Told ya guys. :lol