PDA

View Full Version : Sources: CBA will extend seven years

ducks
10-24-2016, 05:08 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/sources-cba-will-extend-seven-years-161247944.html

cd021
10-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Glad they decided to keep 1 and done, don't buy playing 2 years of inferior basketball makes players better, just draft them and have the teams develop them themselves.

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2016, 05:30 PM
The NBA just had its most popular season since Dad Killer retired..they are in a great position with another Warriors-Cavs Finals looming, a bunch of star players that are non-threatening and a relatively young fanbase/demographic(compared to the other major team sports)..

They need to capitalize on the decline of the NFL, tbh..

apalisoc_9
10-24-2016, 06:24 PM
What difference is staying two years in college make? We have the D-League now...

Soccer talents and Basketball talents abroad play pro as early as 14 years old. Guess who develops their talent and makes it to the NBA? Guys who start early.

What evidence do we have that guys who finished a 4 year course are on average better players? What evidence do we have that college ball (where they sit your ass down to play White American bums for commercial purposes) is better at developing talent than D-League and NBA level Practice?

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 06:29 PM
What difference is staying two years in college make? We have the D-League now...

Soccer talents and Basketball talents abroad play pro as early as 14 years old. Guess who develops their talent and makes it to the NBA? Guys who start early.

What evidence do we have that guys who finished a 4 year course are on average better players? What evidence do we have that college ball (where they sit your ass down to play White American bums for commercial purposes) is better at developing talent than D-League and NBA level Practice?

I always thought it was an image move, right? To prevent your Darius Miles and Kwame Browns from jumping into the NBA without any college education or even an attempt to do so. Also, aren't they throwing the NCAA basketball programs a bone by doing this? I wish we could go back to the days of drafting right out of high school myself.

apalisoc_9
10-24-2016, 06:33 PM
I always thought it was an image move, right? To prevent your Darius Miles and Kwame Browns from jumping into the NBA without any college education or even an attempt to do so. Also, aren't they throwing the NCAA basketball progra,s a bone by doing this? I wish we could go back to the days of drafting right out of high school myself.

Just another white people or coon BS imo. Guys like Kwame brown would have fucked up regardless. Majority of these colleges don't reguire their players to attend classes and the NCAA program is terrible.

So reguiring a year in college so that the NBA can look "Good" is silly. Its social innate racism that for some reason because majprity of the guys playing now are black..the Highschool only player is vurneable to stupidity...but most guys who do silly things took college.

sananspursfan21
10-24-2016, 06:36 PM
Just another white people or coon BS imo. Guys like Kwame brown would have fucked up regardless. Majority of these colleges don't reguire their players to attend classes and the NCAA program is terrible.

Well, I agree. I think it's up to the player themselves what they wanna do but I think that plays a factor in the one and done decision

rastaspur
10-24-2016, 06:50 PM
I am a firm believer in education. In my perfect world you could draft a player after their freshman year and they would be required to attend college for three more years.

Just set up those contracts for 7 year deals for drafted freshman, 6 year deals for sophomores, etc.

Their salary would be put in trust and couldnt be touched until they played all four years.

Also, three years of cle requirements to learn how to manage those millions sitting in trust.

On the flipside, you can draft foreign players but they cant come over until 22 years of age.

It would probably lead to a more polished nba product and cut down on the horrible trend of athletes going broke. Would also make for more intelligent and well rounded people.

It will never ever happen but if i was calling the shots i would push this agenda

This would dissuade teams from drafting so young but not prohibit it. If a prospect is such a talent then an nba team would be willing to wait. The spurs did with d-rob and that kind of worked out.

Das Texan
10-24-2016, 09:57 PM
NBA should make the NBDL a true developmental league, requiring teams to have teams within the league, tbh.

Would allow for teams to better develop talent overall and give you a true 'minor league' of sorts.

Instead of players at dumb college programs that do nothing to develop the players, they can do under the direction of the NBA franchises. Also raise the salary structure of those leagues and just expand the draft a round or 2 to accomodate.

tonight...you
10-24-2016, 10:01 PM
I am a firm believer in education. In my perfect world you could draft a player after their freshman year and they would be required to attend college for three more years.

Just set up those contracts for 7 year deals for drafted freshman, 6 year deals for sophomores, etc.

Their salary would be put in trust and couldnt be touched until they played all four years.

Also, three years of cle requirements to learn how to manage those millions sitting in trust.

On the flipside, you can draft foreign players but they cant come over until 22 years of age.

It would probably lead to a more polished nba product and cut down on the horrible trend of athletes going broke. Would also make for more intelligent and well rounded people.

It will never ever happen but if i was calling the shots i would push this agenda

This would dissuade teams from drafting so young but not prohibit it. If a prospect is such a talent then an nba team would be willing to wait. The spurs did with d-rob and that kind of worked out.
Perfect-World Scenario, and I would so love that to come to pass. If only there was some way...

UNT Eagles 2016
10-24-2016, 10:34 PM
I am a firm believer in education.

Today's college education is horseshit & you know it.

Have you seen some of the "majors" on the transcripts of these athletes? And on top of that, the professors pretty much have to spoonfeed them answers and/or give them C's at worst or risk getting fired because we all know the athletic programs trump all in the university system.

rastaspur
10-24-2016, 10:41 PM
Today's college education is horseshit & you know it.

Have you seen some of the "majors" on the transcripts of these athletes? And on top of that, the professors pretty much have to spoonfeed them answers and/or give them C's at worst or risk getting fired because we all know the athletic programs trump all in the university system.

True. No doubt about it.

My thinking is if you force a college degree on them then maybe some will snap out of the im just buying my time until i turn pro in a year mentality so why should i learn anything.

Im sure most would still just do the minimum or refuse to buy in but some might buy in and learn a thing or two.

A degree is just a peice of paper. I fully understand that. Its all about what you put into it.

Its a perfect world scenario which becomes impractical due to nba owners own self interest and the potential professional pool of talent not really giving a f### about an education.

Will never ever happen but would be nice if it did.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-24-2016, 10:50 PM
True. No doubt about it.

My thinking is if you force a college degree on them then maybe some will snap out of the im just buying my time until i turn pro in a year mentality so why should i learn anything.

Im sure most would still just do the minimum or refuse to buy in but some might buy in and learn a thing or two.

A degree is just a peice of paper. I fully understand that. Its all about what you put into it.

Its a perfect world scenario which becomes impractical due to nba owners own self interest and the potential professional pool of talent not really giving a f### about an education.

Will never ever happen but would be nice if it did.

That's only half of it. The other 50% is the stupid young kids that just don't give a fuck about anything other than their sport and partying and getting drunk/laid.

Trust me, I went to university, I've been around them... even the ones who don't play sports, a lot of them are this way, sadly. The low-income african americans raised without dads and rich white frat boys can be just as bad as the athletes.

rastaspur
10-24-2016, 11:15 PM
That's only half of it. The other 50% is the stupid young kids that just don't give a fuck about anything other than their sport and partying and getting drunk/laid.

Trust me, I went to university, I've been around them... even the ones who don't play sports, a lot of them are this way, sadly. The low-income african americans raised without dads and rich white frat boys can be just as bad as the athletes.

I dont necessarily disagree with most of that.

Its a problem that plagues all demographics, not just athletes, frat boys and the other category you reference.

All condistent with my underlying theme that a college education is only as good as the effort you put in.

I did the frat boy thing and fucked around and had fun. Should have tried more. Got it out of my system and then went to lawschool and put in real work. Then got a masters in tax law from nyu.

Talent alone wont sustain you. That applies to college and life in general. Talent is the hare and the hardworker is the turtoise.

There are more hares than turtles nowadays. There is no denying that.

ElNono
10-24-2016, 11:19 PM
The NBA just had its most popular season since Dad Killer retired..they are in a great position with another Warriors-Cavs Finals looming, a bunch of star players that are non-threatening and a relatively young fanbase/demographic(compared to the other major team sports)..

wonder if Silver got his wish and they're gonna have a gay pride game during the all-star, tbh... reffed by Kennedy, obviously...

SpurPadre
10-25-2016, 01:05 AM

Considering it's a foregone conclusion that the Dubs are winning it all this year barring multiple serious injuries, where's the incentive in watching games to most casual fans outside the Warriors fanbase? Wouldn't you think even hardcore fans would be hard pressed to find any interest in watching games this season knowing their team is a far cry from the Dream Team that is Golden State? I'm going to be loyal and watch my Spurs like you guys but I wouldn't bother watching other games in this lost for everyone season, tbh. There would have to be multiple season ending injuries for the Dubs not to win it this season and without that, there's no intrigue in the league. Furthermore with the Dubs, you have the biggest collection of arrogant players in professional sports including a dick kicking knucklehead in Draymond Green and a guy with a disgusting mouthpiece chewing habit. Who, outside of their fanbase, wants to see those assholes on a consistent basis?

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-25-2016, 02:18 AM
Considering it's a foregone conclusion that the Dubs are winning it all this year barring multiple serious injuries, where's the incentive in watching games to most casual fans outside the Warriors fanbase? Wouldn't you think even hardcore fans would be hard pressed to find any interest in watching games this season knowing their team is a far cry from the Dream Team that is Golden State? I'm going to be loyal and watch my Spurs like you guys but I wouldn't bother watching other games in this lost for everyone season, tbh. There would have to be multiple season ending injuries for the Dubs not to win it this season and without that, there's no intrigue in the league. Furthermore with the Dubs, you have the biggest collection of arrogant players in professional sports including a dick kicking knucklehead in Draymond Green and a guy with a disgusting mouthpiece chewing habit. Who, outside of their fanbase, wants to see those assholes on a consistent basis?

Easily - most casual fans become casual GSW fans, just like they were Bulls fans in the 90s when the competition was even worse and the standard of basketball was lower and less entertaining too. People watched because of Jordan.