PDA

View Full Version : John Smoltz

FromWayDowntown
10-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Last year some of us talked about whether Schilling's postseason accomplishments and whether those accomplishments were enough (combined with his regular season career numbers) to get him to the Hall of Fame.

Now, I wonder the same about John Smoltz. Smoltz is an interesting case to me because he lost years as a starter to become a dominant closer, and his career numbers are harmed by that. Overall, his career numbers don't really blow you away: 177-128, 3.26 ERA, 2567 K's, 5 seasons with 15+ wins, 7 time all-star, 1 Cy Young. But you add in 154 saves and 3 straight seasons of 44+ saves, and the case is a bit more interesting.

If you give Smoltz those 3 years as a starter, his numbers are in the ballpark of, say, Don Drysdale's numbers (209-166, 2.95, 2486, 1 Cy Young). On top of that, Smoltz has been one of the best post-season pitchers in ML history. After Game 2 against Houston, he'll be 15-4 with an ERA around 2.60, including his effort in that epic Game 7 at Minnesota in 1991 where he matched Jack Morris pitch for pitch for 7+ innings and 2 dominating performances in the 1996 World Series against the Yankees (won Game 1, 12-1; lost Game 5 1-0, but gave up only 4 hits and the lone run was unearned).

At this point, I'd be inclined to give Smoltz a vote if I had one.

atlfan25
10-06-2005, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't think he'll get in on the first ballot. Depends on how he finishes his career, he is still going strong. I think he will get in though.

I'd give him a vote.

Sense
10-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't think he'll get in on the first ballot. Depends on how he finishes his career, he is still going strong. I think he will get in though.

I'd give him a vote.

Are you an ATL fan?

Whoops you are...

No shit you'd give him a vote....

Anyways, I think he should be in the HOF and I think he will end up being on the first ballot.

The guy's great.

2pac
10-06-2005, 11:11 PM
I think he makes the HOF, but it takes a couple years. He will have some stigma that he was generally the 3rd starter behind Glavine and Maddux, but he has many accomplishments.

I would vote for him.

ducks
10-07-2005, 09:56 AM
he should be in

he was the best postseason pitcher the braves ever had