PDA

View Full Version : Give Davis Bertans all of Kyles minutes

Floyd Pacquiao
10-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Now.

BD24
10-25-2016, 11:53 PM
absolutely. As others have said though Anderson seems like Pops new Bonner. So we will see.

phxspurfan
lol his defense was beyond atrocious

Floyd Pacquiao
Bertans spaces the court and moves with out the ball much better IMHO. He's much more fleet footed as well tbh

spurraider21
10-25-2016, 11:55 PM
#LatvianDurant

r0drig0lac
10-25-2016, 11:55 PM
Bertans in Spurs system will destroy some teams

8FOR!3
10-25-2016, 11:56 PM
I think Kyle will provide value for us this year. I don't think he ever really stood a chance starting tonight against a team like Golden State guarding Durant.

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2016, 06:41 AM
Bertans did more in like 3 minutes than Kyle did the whole game

Raven
10-26-2016, 07:32 AM
bertans has no business being in the rotation, and people who think otherwise are laughable. His only purpose is to make threes when the game is out of reach and you need a change of pace.

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Bertans defense is so incredibly awful. Yes, it's much worse than Andersons.

kobyz
10-26-2016, 08:48 AM
No, Bertans is garbage, Bertans is as slow as Kyle, at least Kyle has more awareness on defense, and ball handling to creat somewhat is shot...

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 08:49 AM
Boy Anderson is going to have to get this reverse jinx all the way to the bank... (this ain't about my boy Davis either)... lol

Spurstalk, still the same.

hater
10-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Meh if Bertans keeps shooting like Dirk who gives a fuck about his D. Its not like hes gonna start.

Kyle still a better all around player but not by much.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Bertans D is on par with Kyle's, which is to say awful. But the kid can drop the hammer on offense, while Kyle is in the passive ass Boris Diaw track with the added bonus of not doing shit off the ball.

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Spurstalk, still the same.
Agreed. A bunch of morons who fire up hot takes. Glad to see Simmons shut his haters up

still.focused
10-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Can we get some footage of the behind the back dribble to stepback jumper at the top of the key
Shiz was beautiful
Great Value Dirk

Captivus
10-26-2016, 10:36 AM
Can we get some footage of the behind the back dribble to stepback jumper at the top of the key
Shiz was beautiful
Great Value Dirk

https://watch.nba.com/game/20161025/SASGSW

Mr. Body
10-26-2016, 11:08 AM
No way. Bertans is great off the bench. Let him develop.

Kyle is a good player. You can stick him in and not worry too much. He's not going to score much, but he'll unstick the ball and he's learned to play defense with his length. I'm glad to have him.

BackHome
10-26-2016, 11:10 AM
No, Bertans is garbage, Bertans is as slow as Kyle, at least Kyle has more awareness on defense, and ball handling to creat somewhat is shot...

He we go again............Dude is playing his first year in another county with different basketball rules and you giving him shit on his first game? He hit a nice step back shot and killed a wide open three in what three minutes of playing time but your going pass judgment on him for all year.............OH Yeah Didn't You Want To Trade Simmons??..............

ernest787
10-26-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm on board. I went against my better judgment and played Anderson in DFS. What a dolt move. Cost me so much $$$$.

I'd take anyone over Anderson at this point. Dig up Michael Finley.

james evans
10-26-2016, 01:10 PM
I don't give a fuck who gets Kyle's minutes. They can grab a fan out of the stands and put him on the court. As long as I dont have to see Anderson play, I'm happy

spurraider21
01-07-2017, 10:28 PM
tbh

elemento
01-07-2017, 10:36 PM
:wow

http://image.prntscr.com/image/459af7ada44c41e4b361a1eee6fb0cbb.png

bklynspursfan
01-07-2017, 10:49 PM
Anderson is already pretty much out the rotation anyway. Will be interesting if Pop experiments with him at the 3 tho

SAGirl
01-07-2017, 10:49 PM
What about Lee minutes TBH...

TimDunkem
01-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Lee produces unlike your boy, SAG.

still.focused
01-07-2017, 10:51 PM
DOnt worryo
Theres plenty of crow to go around
Eat up fellas

100%duncan
01-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Anderson is already pretty much out the rotation anyway. Will be interesting if Pop experiments with him at the 3 tho

Waste of roster space/resources/development time

bklynspursfan
01-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Lee has earned his minutes easily. There will be some nights where Bertans makes sense in that spot, but Lee does lots of things well. He doesn't hit 3s, but he provides a similar spark and fire that Bertans play tonight did.

Pop should play Bertans at the 3 sometimes tho

TimDunkem
01-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Fathead has two moves: in and out dribble and pass out, or in and out dribble and shoot. Neither usually leads to anything good. He needs to go.

100%duncan
01-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Its so sad that the spurs have wasted 3 years for shithead and he has not had a game of this impact as Bertans.

Lol at that guy who said kyle>cojo

ElNono
01-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Fathead has two moves: in and out dribble and pass out, or in and out dribble and shoot. Neither usually leads to anything good. He needs to go.

but but he could be the next Lebron if he tried...

Capt Bringdown
01-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Kyle has no business in a NBA uniform.

BillMc
01-07-2017, 10:58 PM

And the next LeBron is better than the next Bonner isn't it?:lol

TimDunkem
01-07-2017, 10:59 PM
tru...tru...if only Pop didn't coddle Simmons or would take away some of Ginobili's minutes so Anderson could show what he can do. :cry :cry :cry

NASpurs
Kyle will be a Spur for a long time because 1) he knows the system, 2) he has "potential" due to his youth 3) he seems like a good teammate 4) he has gotten over himself and 5)he'll probably be cheap.

We're fucked :lol

apalisoc_9
The problem is that Bertans routinely gets abused when he's matchuped with a 3 and finding open three point shots gets increasingly more difficult as a 3 since he is facing more mobile players.

And then you have Lee-Dedmon who are both playing at high level...Bertans is basically a better Bonner..a much beter bonner.

GSH
Waste of roster space/resources/development time

That's where things eventually got to with Ian Maninmi. He had scattered good games after he left, and finally a decent season 6 years after he left. But the Spurs had to move on. Kyle needs to step it up or go the same way.

SAGirl
01-07-2017, 11:01 PM
Lee has earned his minutes easily. There will be some nights where Bertans makes sense in that spot, but Lee does lots of things well. He doesn't hit 3s, but he provides a similar spark and fire that Bertans play tonight did.

Pop should play Bertans at the 3 sometimes tho
A good point but Bertans is a legit spark and provided enough regular minutes who knows what he could do. Kyle's barely in this conversation... they don't play the same spots and Kyle is also a deep bench reserve.. guys just like to troll...

The interesting discussion is Lee va Bertans or is you want him at the 3 Simmons... Simmons is a different player, more like a playmaking guard etc.. and I think if you take him out he will be missed... Bertans is a big.. so him vs Lee is the real conersation... watch the spot he played and how great he was in it. But guys are hypocrites and want to hate on KA more than they really want Davis to play... (Lee spot is the one in play TBH).

jeebus
Kyle will be a Spur for a long time because 1) he knows the system, 2) he has "potential" due to his youth 3) he seems like a good teammate 4) he has gotten over himself and 5)he'll probably be cheap.

Matt Boner 2.0

apalisoc_9

PATFO hasnt given up on Anderson because they havent played him at the 4 that much in his career but when they do he usually excells. The last two Spurs teams had tons of bigs so there is very little minutes for him.

I suspect that they're banking on Kyle to play at a decent level as a 4 next year when Lee opts and he becomes expensive.

BillMc
01-07-2017, 11:03 PM
That's where things eventually got to with Ian Maninmi. He had scattered good games after he left, and finally a decent season 6 years after he left. But the Spurs had to move on. Kyle needs to step it up or go the same way.

Nico was booted to allow for more playing time for Murray, why not boot someone for Bertans? (Just kidding SAGirl)

TimDunkem
01-07-2017, 11:04 PM
SAG, all you have at this point is that this "but they play different positions" nonsense. Even then, that is a terrible argument to make since Kyle is so bad at the 3, that he's more valuable as a big...Which Bertans is clearly more valuable as. Kyle sucks and doesn't belong here. It isn't trolling when EVERYONE says the same thing.

SAGirl
01-07-2017, 11:04 PM
PATFO hasnt given up on Anderson because they havent played him at the 4 that much in his career but when they do he usually excells. The last two Spurs teams had tons of bigs so there is very little minutes for him.

I suspect that they're banking on Kyle to play at a decent level as a 4 next year when Lee opts and he becomes expensive.
I really don't know for next season obviously but the arrival of Davis has pushed Kyle to play as a wing sucking or not..

For Davis, it's a legit discussion if he should play more ... Fine the debate with Kyle... but how about the discussion about others... it's otherwise not a real discussion as he's a big for Pop.

TimDunkem
01-07-2017, 11:05 PM

But Bertans is clearly the better option at the 4...lol

SAGirl
01-07-2017, 11:06 PM
Nico was booted to allow for more playing time for Murray, why not boot someone for Bertans? (Just kidding SAGirl)
I know but in the kidding sense... if you boot Kyle you hardly get more minutes for Davis... that's mostly the point...

100%duncan
01-07-2017, 11:06 PM
SAG, all you have at this point is that this "but they play different positions" nonsense. Even then, that is a terrible argument to make since Kyle is so bad at the 3, that he's more valuable as a big...Which Bertans is clearly more valuable as. Kyle sucks and doesn't belong here. It isn't trolling when EVERYONE says the same thing.

Even tho the eye test, stats, and game impact show it urstil trolling. Stop it pls. Kyle anderson is the next magic johnson.

Wait wrong acct

bklynspursfan
01-07-2017, 11:07 PM
A good point but Bertans is a legit spark and provided enough regular minutes who knows what he could do. Kyle's barely in this conversation... they don't play the same spots and Kyle is also a deep bench reserve.. guys just like to troll...

The interesting discussion is Lee va Bertans or is you want him at the 3 Simmons... Simmons is a different player, more like a playmaking guard etc.. and I think if you take him out he will be missed... Bertans is a big.. so him vs Lee is the real conersation... watch the spot he played and how great he was in it. But guys are hypocrites and want to hate on KA more than they really want Davis to play... (Lee spot is the one in play TBH).

Yea that's pretty much what I said too. This thread (title at least) is kinda irrelevant at this point.

Bertans is a big, but he and Lee are completely different types of bigs. Lee & Dedmon are guys who just kill on the boards and looseballs. They do all the dirty work together, and Lee is a tremendous passer/post player/finisher around the paint. Bertans is obviously a stretch 4 who can take you off the dribble and finish around the rim as we saw. Bertans is probably a SG in a PF's body.

Overall, Bertans does deserve more minutes. I do hope Pop at least entertains playing him at the 3 sometimes. As I said there will be nights where his shooting is needed, so he'll get more minutes. Whether that's at Lee's or Dedmon's expense (If Pop plays Lee @ the 5 for w/e reason) then so be it. It's tough to find guys minutes, but tbh it's a good problem to have. And it's tough to argue with the team's success thus far too

TimDunkem
I'd rather play small at the 3 with the guards we have than have Kyle as the backup 3. He's that bad.

ElNono
And the next LeBron is better than the next Bonner isn't it?:lol

you would hope... Kyle should go back to his roots, either the Nyets or the Lakeshow... both teams where they can "showcase" him...

BillMc
01-07-2017, 11:08 PM
I really don't know for next season obviously but the arrival of Davis has pushed Kyle to play as a wing sucking or not..

For Davis, it's a legit discussion if he should play more ... Fine the debate with Kyle... but how about the discussion about others... it's otherwise not a real discussion as he's a big for Pop.

That's a valid point. And lost in the Kyle bashing is his d has been vert solid of late. But Lee has been playing really well too. And Lee's more consistent than Davis or Dedmon. Frankly, its a good problem to have for PATFO.

apalisoc_9
01-07-2017, 11:09 PM
But Bertans is early the better option at the 4...lol

Ofcourse, but you need muliple players to play that position. If Lee and Gasol opts out..the big rotation becomes really thin. There is so much question mark for next season. That's the reason why they are keeping kyle...

Not to mention if they do sign him, he's going to be crazy cheap. Likely less than 4 a year..

bklynspursfan
Matt Boner 2.0

Bonner really improved, and became a very serviceable post defender. People love to hate on him, but the guy worked his ass off. He added that little mini hook, and got stronger/better defensively. For Anderson, he's gotta add the 3 point shot to his arsenal. Matty continued to work on his game and was always ready when called upon

BillMc
Yea that's pretty much what I said too. This thread (title at least) is kinda irrelevant at this point.

Bertans is a big, but he and Lee are completely different types of bigs. Lee & Dedmon are guys who just kill on the boards and looseballs. They do all the dirty work together, and Lee is a tremendous passer/post player/finisher around the paint. Bertans is obviously a stretch 4 who can take you off the dribble and finish around the rim as we saw. Bertans is probably a SG in a PF's body.

Overall, Bertans does deserve more minutes. I do hope Pop at least entertains playing him at the 3 sometimes. As I said there will be nights where his shooting is needed, so he'll get more minutes. Whether that's at Lee's or Dedmon's expense (If Pop plays Lee @ the 5 for w/e reason) then so be it. It's tough to find guys minutes, but tbh it's a good problem to have. And it's tough to argue with the team's success thus far too

Said it a lot better than I did. This.

BillMc
01-07-2017, 11:12 PM
I know but in the kidding sense... if you boot Kyle you hardly get more minutes for Davis... that's mostly the point...

I was just kidding. Kyle's d has improved so much he still has a role. And while I agree with you that Kyle and Davis shouldn't be in competition for minutes, it sure seems like often when one plays the other doesn't

MaNu4Tres
01-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Bertans has the skillset to play the 3 or 4. He played the 3 a lot overseas.

He's a versatile player that has yet to play the 3, but he certainly has the ability and skill set to play the position. Those who can't see that are blind.

SAGirl
01-07-2017, 11:14 PM
That's a valid point. And lost in the Kyle bashing is his d has been vert solid of late. But Lee has been playing really well too. And Lee's more consistent than Davis or Dedmon. Frankly, its a good problem to have for PATFO.
Guys are going to make it about one vs the other but really to me the guy blocking Davis minutes is Lee... It's easy to see there's no doghouse or anything of the sort... Lee was healthy and when he is Davis doesn't play much... The teams strenght is actually their frontcourt... And Davis definitely needs to be shooting (I didn't think he passed up shots b4 personally but guys don't always look for him the same... etc. I really didn't think he was in the doghouse...

SAGirl
01-07-2017, 11:16 PM
I was just kidding. Kyle's d has improved so much he still has a role. And while I agree with you that Kyle and Davis shouldn't be in competition for minutes, it sure seems like often when one plays the other doesn't
I don't think that's due to anything else than who is injured or out...

TimDunkem
01-07-2017, 11:17 PM

He's a versatile player that has yet to play the 3, but he certainly has the ability and skill set to play the position. Those who can't see that are blind.
Agreed. People like SAG are now trying to say that it's Lee taking his minutes but Bertans is a versatile, utility player. The kind of player we hoped Kyle would be. Davis makes him redundant at any position.

100%duncan
01-07-2017, 11:17 PM

Bertans can play against bench wings thats for sure. So basically he's a better option than shithead on sf and pf, gasol will still be here next year, Bertans should be the main back up and Anderson should not be in the nba

SAGirl
01-07-2017, 11:21 PM

Good points... I'd like to bump this when Davis all of a sudden again isn't playing much. And predictably there is drama here

Mikeanaro
01-07-2017, 11:29 PM

He has been playing only 1 season and a half I dont think he is an authority on Spurs system.

RD2191
01-07-2017, 11:33 PM
I've probably stated otherwise before but I somehow still believe Fathead has the potential to be a very decent bench player for the spurs.

bklynspursfan
01-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Good points... I'd like to bump this when Davis all of a sudden again isn't playing much. And predictably there is drama here

there surely will be. and frankly, it's not like Pop and many other coaches haven't done this with rooks before. Whether people agree or not, it's not uncommon.

And like I always say, we don't know what goes on in practices and what not, picking up on terminology, etc... We're only ~3 months in. Lots can change

Mr. Body
01-07-2017, 11:43 PM
Bertans busting out has no impact on whether Anderson will be a decent player or not. It just means Bertams deserves to see more time.

T Park
01-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Bertans busting out has no impact on whether Anderson will be a decent player or not. It just means Bertams deserves to see more time.

100%

There HAS to be more minutes for him. Simmons doesnt NEED to be the primary wing off the bench.

hsxvvd
01-08-2017, 03:59 AM
I'd rather play small at the 3 with the guards we have than have Kyle as the backup 3. He's that bad.

I'd rather play 4 on 5.

Spurtacular
01-08-2017, 04:23 AM
absolutely. As others have said though Anderson seems like Pops new Bonner. So we will see.

Ironically, not the tall, white, dorky redhead who shoots threes.

AFMadison
01-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Lee is valuable to the team imo

r0drig0lac
01-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Bertans is an original SF

CGD
01-08-2017, 09:20 AM
I think it's already happening tbh. He's eating kyle's lunch.

cjw
01-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Bertans is an original SF

Said in postgame last night he grew up as a backcourt guy. Wonder when he had his growth spurt.

wildbill2u
01-08-2017, 11:58 AM
The trouble with this thread is too many folks are busy looking at individuals instead of team. Trees instead of forrest. I think Pop is either starting or homing in on a new trend in the NBA--or maybe just following the examples of players who were so versatile they could play at many different positions (Magic, Duncan, etc) rather than being pidgeon-holed into the traditional roles of center, SG, PG, SF and PF.

I could see Pop playing a bench rotation of Kyle, Dedmon, Bertans, Simmons, Patty. Or Bertans, Lee, Dedmon, Patty, Murray (hopefully someday). Pop can play around with different lineups using all these guys For the past few years it seemed that one of the strengths of the Spurs was the ability of the bench players to beat the shit out of the opposition bench and individuals blend in seamlessly to play with the starters when necessary. If he needs bigs who can battle for rebounds, he's got Dedmona and Lee to throw in the game. Shooting and spacing? Betans and Patty are terrific when on.

So my take is that it's pointless to argue miniscule differences between the abilities of players. It's how they blend into a winning team that counts. And Pop is a master of picking the ingredients to put into the mix.

TimDunkem
01-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Kyle doesn't belong on a winning team. He's a waste of roster space.

wildbill2u
01-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Kyle doesn't belong on a winning team. He's a waste of roster space.

Well, as a BB expert, you can certainly argue that point. I can see his flaws as well, but so far the judgement of the coaching staff is that he is worth some minutes on a winning team. That doesn't mean he will be taking the roster spot forever, but they are OK with him this season.

dbestpro
01-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Was a Kyle fan but his inability to shoot the three really makes the team go stagnant on offense.

skulls138
01-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Was a Kyle fan but his inability to shoot the three really makes the team go stagnant on offense.Hes a ball handler with a team that still has Manu and Parker. I think he knows that hes more for the future than right now, seeing that he was signed beyond this year.

MaNu4Tres
01-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Hes a ball handler with a team that still has Manu and Parker. I think he knows that hes more for the future than right now, seeing that he was signed beyond this year.

Nope.

He can handle the ball, yes but he doesn't have the speed, change of direction acceleration to be effective with the ball unless its against college or D League talent ( only because of his size/length -- which the NBA has a lot of to negate his size advantage).

Also, he was signed to a rookie deal back 3 years ago ( that's the current deal he's on -- which has one more year left). Your post implies that the Spurs recently signed him for their future and that couldn't be more wrong. Times running out for him, he may be traded for a protected 2nd rounder as soon as this summer.

spursistan
01-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Bertans has such a deceptive athletic ability..really surprised the most by his first-step attack and rim-soaring..

skulls138
01-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Nope.

He can handle the ball, yes but he doesn't have the speed, change of direction acceleration to be effective with the ball unless its against college or D League talent ( only because of his size/length -- which the NBA has a lot of to negate his size advantage).

Also, he was signed to a rookie deal back 3 years ago ( that's the current deal he's on -- which has one more year left). Your post implies that the Spurs recently signed him for their future and that couldn't be more wrong. Times running out for him, he may be traded for a protected 2nd rounder as soon as this summer.He wasnt signed but they exercised their fourth year option so he can play next season. Reason being Im thinking is because hes meant to take Manus place.

And I would say that hes more gangly than slow. A giraffe looks slow too but they could outrun all of us. What he does have though is good hand quickness and good hand-eye coordination. He also has good touch. As we can see from SAgirls GIF pass to Aldridge, he can go full speed (stop it) and then drop off a soft pass in the right spot.

The only concern of mine is his lack of outside shot and lack of aggressiveness.

.G.
01-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Love watching dat nigga ball. Sucks Spurs hung on to Matt Bonner Basketball! dat long.

kyle is so fucking meh

MaNu4Tres
01-08-2017, 04:37 PM
He wasnt signed but they exercised their fourth year option so he can play next season. Reason being Im thinking is because hes meant to take Manus place.

And I would say that hes more gangly than slow. A giraffe looks slow too but they could outrun all of us. What he does have though is good hand quickness and good hand-eye coordination. He also has good touch. As we can see from SAgirls GIF pass to Aldridge, he can go full speed (stop it) and then drop off a soft pass in the right spot.

The only concern of mine is his lack of outside shot and lack of aggressiveness.

He was exercised because it was a no brainer since he's due barely over 1 million which is less than 1% of the market share of the cap. He wasn't exercised to be a Manu replacement. They couldn't be more different players and Anderson isn't even close to 39 yr old Manu. He's the 12th guy on this roster. Very low risk to exercise his option for one year, and I highly highly doubt the Spurs have some great future plans for him to be Manus replacement as the bench creator for years to come. He's simply not good enough to be the guy off the bench for a playoff team, much less a contender.

TimDunkem
01-08-2017, 05:03 PM
lmao Kyle as Manu's replacement. Now I've heard it all. :lmao Even over the hill Manu is quicker, more skilled, and valuable than Kyle is in just about every facet of the game. You could argue rebounding but, 1-on-1, I might just take Manu to grab the rebound over slow, passionless Fathead.

SequSpur
01-08-2017, 07:11 PM
This commentary is stupid. All of you. I was at the game last night and almost every night. Bertans can play, Kyle just can't. End of story. What else? Close this discussion.

sasaint
01-08-2017, 07:25 PM
This commentary is stupid. All of you. I was at the game last night and almost every night. Bertans can play, Kyle just can't. End of story. What else? Close this discussion.

I agree. To address the point of the thread, even if you do give Bertans all of Kyle's minutes, what is the result - an additional 2 minutes in garbage time? Kyle is like the 14th man on the bench - give him Patty's old towel to wave.

duncan2k5
01-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Bertrans definitely needs to play the 3...dude is athletic enough...and that allows Lee to play, who is a great passer

100%duncan
01-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Lol at the kyle is a ballhandler on a team with parker and manu narrative. :lol

spurtech09
01-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Bertan's need more mins period......

dabom
01-08-2017, 08:53 PM

:lol

BillMc
01-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Said in postgame last night he grew up as a backcourt guy. Wonder when he had his growth spurt.

Not sure when he had his main growth spurt, but I read somewhere he's grown 2 inches since the Spurs got his rights in 2011 (when he was only 18). Which is part of the reason people expected a 6'8" SF and got a 6'10" PF.

gospursgojas
01-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Does ball handler = can dribble ball up court to you guys?

Bc that's pretty much the extent of Kyle handling the ball. Its not like hes out there running p&r, or causing defenses to move around by his penetration.

r0drig0lac
01-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Not sure when he had his main growth spurt, but I read somewhere he's grown 2 inches since the Spurs got his rights in 2011 (when he was only 18). Which is part of the reason people expected a 6'8" SF and got a 6'10" PF.

He should still play as sf .. Green Kawhi Bertans Dedmon Aldridge would just be insane defensively

will_spurs
01-09-2017, 03:30 AM
Well, as a BB expert, you can certainly argue that point. I can see his flaws as well, but so far the judgement of the coaching staff is that he is worth some minutes on a winning team. That doesn't mean he will be taking the roster spot forever, but they are OK with him this season.

KA has average 7 mpg in the last 4 games. His minutes have been steadily declining (with now only a game here and there where he'll get to play 20 minutes). I truly hope he's in the doghouse for good. As somebody said, it doesn't matter if he's a good player or not at this point, there are simply more talented players than him on the roster, making him redundant.

I like the Mahinmi example: this guy wasn't bad, but it didn't make sense for the Spurs to wait for him that long and pay him that much in the end (in case some of you aren't aware, he's earning $16MM per year).

TheGreatYacht
01-09-2017, 06:29 AM
That's the next myth we have to bust :lol

His first two years, his pumpers tried to run with the "he has high bball IQ :cry" lie

100%duncan
01-09-2017, 08:19 AM
That's the next myth we have to bust :lol

His first two years, his pumpers tried to run with the "he has high bball IQ :cry" lie

:cry if only pop stopped coddling a guy who paid $150 to try out for the toros :cry

Chinook
01-09-2017, 08:30 AM
I don't know if Bertans can be a three in the NBA. I do know that his lateral quickness doesn't match his vertical. Seeing as the backup SF for many teams is usually a guard, it's tough to see him and Lee as defensive forwards being successful. You combine that with the fact that his shooting helps the team more from the four than the five and you get why folks want him there instead of SF.

BillMc
01-09-2017, 08:51 AM
I don't know if Bertans can be a three in the NBA. I do know that his lateral quickness doesn't match his vertical. Seeing as the backup SF for many teams is usually a guard, it's tough to see him and Lee as defensive forwards being successful. You combine that with the fact that his shooting helps the team more from the four than the five and you get why folks want him there instead of SF.

Despite by all accounts successful and unusually determined rehabs, two knee injuries has to have affected his lateral quickness to some degree. Fortunately, as I mentioned above, Davis grew two more inches since he was acquired at 18 in 2011. Going from 6'8" to 6'10" allows him to more easily move from SF to PF where he seems plenty athletic enough, especially if he's a backup. The question is can he, and should he, add bulk for the position or would that be bad for his knee and shorten his career.

Chinook
01-09-2017, 08:53 AM
:cry if only pop stopped coddling a guy who paid $150 to try out for the toros :cry

I might agree he wasn't coddled, but it turns out that it's part of the fabric of the universe and can't be rewritten at this point.

Chinook
01-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Despite by all accounts successful and unusually determined rehabs, two knee injuries has to have affected his lateral quickness to some degree. Fortunately, as I mentioned above, Davis grew two more inches since he was acquired at 18 in 2011. Going from 6'8" to 6'10" allows him to more easily move from SF to PF where he seems plenty athletic enough, especially if he's a backup.

Indeed, though you have to wonder how much weight he would be able to gain while staying healthy and how that weight would affect his ability to run off screens, which really needs to be something the Spurs do with him starting next season at the latest.

MaNu4Tres
01-09-2017, 09:12 AM

And Kyle Andersons' lateral quickness? Funny how Anderson gets a pass. Every game I've seen him play this year, Bertans does more than a fine job staying in-front of his man when there's a switch on a wing. He has similar lateral quickness as Kyle, except he's a better athlete than Kyle in the Parsons mold to a degree. Not only all this, but Bertans' skillset on offense fits at the SF a lot more than Kyle's does.

bklynspursfan
01-09-2017, 09:16 AM
And Kyle Andersons' lateral quickness? Funny how Anderson gets a pass with poor lateral quickness. Every game I've seen him play this year, Bertans does more than a fine job staying in-front of his man when there's a switch on a wing. He has similar lateral quickness as Kyle, except he's a better athlete than Kyle in the Parsons mold to a degree. Not only all this, but Bertans' skillset on offense fits at the SF a lot more than Kyle's does.

Yea.. Guys have gotten by Anderson easily at times, and sometimes it seems like he just "accepts" it and assumes the help will be there and watches the play unfold. There isn't a large enough sample size to assess Bertans in that regard, but with his athleticism, 1 would assume it would allow him to recover more quickly if it happens to him.

Chinook
01-09-2017, 09:20 AM
And Kyle Andersons' lateral quickness? Funny how Anderson gets a pass. Every game I've seen him play this year, Bertans does more than a fine job staying in-front of his man when there's a switch on a wing. He has similar lateral quickness as Kyle, except he's a better athlete than Kyle in the Parsons mold to a degree. Not only all this, but Bertans' skillset on offense fits at the SF a lot more than Kyle's does.

Well I came into this season thinking Anderson would be the backup four, so I don't know exactly what this is saying. But I don't think Bertans' perimeter D has been all that great at all. At best, he looks like a big switching out on a small. A lot of Davis' defensive issues seem like mental ones that he can overcome with experience.

MaNu4Tres
01-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Well I came into this season thinking Anderson would be the backup four, so I don't know exactly what this is saying.

The point of the thread is Bertans should see all of Andersons minutes when Anderson plays the SF. My post was in reference to that premise.

Bertans has done a fine job when switching out on the perimeter. He's a good athlete and lighter on his feet than Kyle IMO ( subjective but that's my opinion).

Mnky
01-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Saying bertans can't play the 3 because of his lateral quickness while saying kyle is a 3 goes to show how little thought is put into some of these takes..

Chinook
01-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Saying bertans can't play the 3 because of his lateral quickness while saying kyle is a 3 goes to show how little thought is put into some of these takes..

Not really. Kyle is a relatively proven defensive player. Bertans isn't. If there was evidence that Davis compensated for his lack of quickness well, then that would be one thing. But there isn't, so equating him to Kyle makes as much sense as using Green's dribbling as an excuse to dismiss concern over Murray's handle.

dabom
01-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Being a decent defender doesn't mean good 1on1 defense. :lol

TheDoctor
01-09-2017, 10:38 AM

:lol

100%duncan
01-09-2017, 11:58 AM
I might agree he wasn't coddled, but it turns out that it's part of the fabric of the universe and can't be rewritten at this point.

What is? This reasoning of why kyle doesnt play as much as simmons was made up by your co-bishop at church of shithead

Chinook
01-09-2017, 12:04 PM
What is? This reasoning of why kyle doesnt play as much as simmons was made up by your co-bishop at church of shithead

Yeah, I think the only way to get out from under that law of nature would be to build a parallel universe and move everything from this universe over there.

DAF86
01-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Spurs should try to sign Bertans to a long ass deal. He's the power forward of the future.

TimDunkem
01-09-2017, 12:58 PM
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard on this forum and that's really saying something. Simmons has had his leash pulled by Pop more than any other player these past two seasons yet he's somehow being "coddled". It wasn't Simmons Pop stuck in the starting lineup when Green was out, it was Anderson...But don't you dare call out SAG on all the nonsense she posts or else you're simply "obsessed". :lol

Spur|n|Austin
01-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Hell just give him enough minutes to score 1 pt

spurraider21
01-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Hell just give him enough minutes to score 1 pt

That's a misleading cause-effect thingy though. Bertans has mostly played in garbage time

dabom
01-09-2017, 02:49 PM
That's a misleading cause-effect thingy though. Bertans has mostly played in garbage time

That's a really good take. :lol

spurraider21
01-09-2017, 02:56 PM
That's a really good take. :lol
It's similar to nfl stats when teams have more rushing attempts on wins... When in reality teams with the lead tend to run the ball more to kill clock

It's not to say Bertans isn't a good player, and I've been advocating for him to get more minutes all season. Just putting that stat into context

dabom
01-09-2017, 02:57 PM
It's similar to nfl stats when teams have more rushing attempts on wins... When in reality teams with the lead tend to run the ball more to kill clock

You answered the best way ever tbh. Not sarcastic at all either. :lol

spurraider21
01-09-2017, 03:02 PM
You answered the best way ever tbh. Not sarcastic at all either. :lol
Considering your boban takes I'm sure you take those stats seriously. You don't get the benefit of the doubt

dabom
01-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Considering your boban takes I'm sure you take those stats seriously. You don't get the benefit of the doubt

Production per is different than arbitrary superfluous data. :lol

Spur|n|Austin
01-09-2017, 03:17 PM

:lol yeah I know.. Stein also spelled his name wrong; not taking the stat too seriously.

objective
01-09-2017, 03:55 PM

It's not, I did the research. It's not like you think.

Only 2 of his 14 games of scoring games are from blowouts where he scored in the 4th of blowouts & didn't play in the 1st half, @GSW & vs TOR

Another 2 games had him play in the first half of competitive games but not score until the fourth and garbage time, vs. NOP, vs. BRK

1 game had him play in the first half, but not score until the fourth of a competitive game, vs. BOS, scoring when the Spurs were +7.

But he has 9 games where he played and scored in the first half of games, and the leads/deficits when he scored were +0, +3, -4, -2, -14 @ Boston, -1, -10 @ MIL, -1, & -5

Contrary to conventional wisdom, he doesn't put up points in garage time.

objective
01-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Of his 16 scoreless games, he played first half minutes in 5 of them. Spurs are 3-2 in those games.

Games where Bertans didn't play at all: 3-4

r0drig0lac
01-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Only 2 of his 14 games of scoring games are from blowouts where he scored in the 4th of blowouts & didn't play in the 1st half, @GSW & vs TOR

Another 2 games had him play in the first half of competitive games but not score until the fourth and garbage time, vs. NOP, vs. BRK

1 game had him play in the first half, but not score until the fourth of a competitive game, vs. BOS, scoring when the Spurs were +7.

But he has 9 games where he played and scored in the first half of games, and the leads/deficits when he scored were +0, +3, -4, -2, -14 @ Boston, -1, -10 @ MIL, -1, & -5

nice, at least vs Celtics and Hornets he was an important part in the result

TimDunkem
01-09-2017, 04:51 PM
:lol yeah I know.. Stein also spelled his name wrong; not taking the stat too seriously.
:rolleyes

Thanks for providing facts instead of blindly following or dismissing the stat. :bobo