PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Simmons reads ST

benefactor
10-25-2016, 11:53 PM
No other explanation tbh

Solid D
10-25-2016, 11:55 PM
I'm just sitting here smiling thinking about all the Simmons non-love in the off-season & preseason.

Seventyniner
10-25-2016, 11:56 PM
If he doesn't he should. Played the game of his life, he deserves the praise he'll get.

coachmac87
10-25-2016, 11:56 PM
I'm not going to call out anybody but it's really a shame some people doubted this kid and even said he's not an NBA player...

MaNu4Tres
10-25-2016, 11:59 PM
The posters who flood this forum w/ 1000 posts a day have been the ones shoving the anti-Simmons posts down everyones' throats since the beginning of the off-season.

Not going to lie, it started seeping into my brain too, but I should have known to not second guess my original thoughts on him as a player.

He just took a big fat shit all over ST.. tbh..

Good for him and good for the Spurs.. they need a player with his athleticism off the bench.

jag
10-26-2016, 12:03 AM
This game reminded me of when he took over that game vs Milwaukee. He's almost always the best athlete on the floor. Nice to see he can play under control

timtonymanu
10-26-2016, 12:04 AM
Obviously he won't be that hot all season, but hope he doesn't revert back to TO Simmons.

J_Paco
10-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Simmons just needs to watch film of Will Barton (from last season), since that is the player he is most similar to. The Spurs desperately need a wing with his athleticism and explosive game, so I'm hopeful beyond hope that he can build from this game.

r0drig0lac
10-26-2016, 12:10 AM
https://m.popkey.co/01abd3/YNV4G.gif

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 12:12 AM
This was a great game. Doesn't suddenly make all those fucking terrible turnovers since July disappear, tbh.

cd98
10-26-2016, 12:14 AM
He's liable to go 0-7 with 5 turnovers in the next game, but you love his upside from being an X factor.

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Simmons just needs to watch film of Will Barton (from last season), since that is the player he is most similar to. The Spurs desperately need a wing with his athleticism and explosive game, so I'm hopeful beyond hope that he can build from this game.

Barton is exactly the comparison I was thinking about earlier, tbh..

I really hope Simmons can put it together, though..this team desperately needs somebody to take some of Manu's load..

ElNono
10-26-2016, 12:17 AM
love him for this game, but consistency is the name of the game here...

don't expect him to have another game like this, but he also can't go down as low as he did at times last season

MaNu4Tres
10-26-2016, 12:21 AM
love him for this game, but consistency is the name of the game here...

don't expect him to have another game like this, but he also can't go down as low as he did at times last season

True.. but at the same time, Pop messed with his minutes more so than anyone on the roster. His minutes were inconsistent, not sure how you can be consistent w/ inconsistent minutes. If he can get consistent 15-18 minutes a night, even if it meant benching Anderson, it will do a lot for his confidence and the team. IMO

J_Paco
10-26-2016, 12:22 AM
Barton is exactly the comparison I was thinking about earlier, tbh..

I really hope Simmons can put it together, though..this team desperately needs somebody to take some of Manu's load..

Yup, and it took Will nearly 5 seasons and injuries to key teammates to finally "put it together."

Like Simmons, he's a wiry, uber-athletic wing that has shown flashes of ability. Simmons has a much, much better support group on the bench and in the coaching staff, but he'll need to play consistent, with confidence and under control.

He brings a big element of athleticism that the team hasn't had in ages too. The same can be said of Dedmon inside....

Mr. Body
10-26-2016, 12:24 AM
He'll be up and down all season. That's why he's a bench player. But he was far more in control than he ever has before.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-26-2016, 12:28 AM
Have to love the pigheadedness going on.

Dude balls against the best team in the NBA and still hanging on hoping to be right are some.

DMC
10-26-2016, 12:29 AM
He will regress to the mean and folks will be shitting on him again because his game is rough around the edges.

He had great game though, that run down block was phenomenal.

SilverSpur
10-26-2016, 12:29 AM
If he does read ST. Great job tonight and great job working on your all around game.
All the hard work and time spent in Austin, summer leauge and training camps is paying off.
Keep it going

ElNono
10-26-2016, 12:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FEl24FW.pngAscending

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 12:33 AM
He will regress to the mean and folks will be shitting on him again because his game is rough around the edges.

If he just sticks to what he does well, like he did tonight, he can have success. Maybe won't put up the numbers every game, but his confidence will always be high, which certainly seems to help his game. Putting him in a position to dribble the ball off his foot because they're trying to make him into a point guard isn't a good way to give him confidence.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-26-2016, 12:34 AM
If he just sticks to what he does well, like he did tonight, he can have success. Maybe won't put up the numbers every game, but his confidence will always be high, which certainly seems to help his game. Putting him in a position to dribble the ball off his foot because they're trying to make him into a point guard isn't a good way to give him confidence.

He was running pnr and isoes too. Way to not pay attention well to what was going on in the game.

DMC
10-26-2016, 12:41 AM

He does well in a chaotic game. The Warriors play a chaotic game, but most of the time the chaos is on your end of the floor. We saw some glimpses tonight of how fast they are going to be able to run the score up on you; in mere seconds you'll be buried by 20.

GSH
10-26-2016, 12:43 AM
He hit shots tonight. But he's not going to shoot 60% for the season. What I liked the most was that he played good D, and he hustled his ass off. That block was incredible - he just ran that play down from behind. And there was a play late in the fourth quarter. He got stuck with the ball at the end of the shot clock, got stripped, and wound up on the floor. He got up and got back in transition D. The Warriors still scored, but he put himself in position to help break up that play. He was fighting for rebounds and loose balls. If he keeps up that kind of energy and effort, he can still earn minutes on nights when his shot isn't falling.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 12:47 AM
He was running pnr and isoes too. Way to not pay attention well to what was going on in the game.

:lol nope. They didn't have him running the point until the last four minutes, when he started to turn the ball over and make bad plays. It looked just like summer league. The rest of the time he was getting the ball within the flow of the offense, and he was great at it. That's where he got his assists.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-26-2016, 12:49 AM
:lol nope. They didn't have him running the point until the last four minutes, when he started to turn the ball over and make bad plays. It looked just like summer league. The rest of the time he was getting the ball within the flow of the offense, and he was great at it. That's where he got his assists.

Yup. They were running plays through him on the second unit on isoes and pnr. He wasn't bringing the ball up the floor but if that is what you mean by 'playing PG' then your acumen is awful.

The Spurs run pnr and isoes spontaneously through the offense. Bottom line is that he was running plays as the primary ballhandler in half court sets.

DJR210
10-26-2016, 12:51 AM
Jonathan Simmons, you fucking faggot you better do this every game bitch or we're gonna roast your ass here

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 12:52 AM
Yup. They were running plays through him on the second unit on isoes and pnr. He wasn't bringing the ball up the floor but if that is what you mean by 'playing PG' then your acumen is awful.

The Spurs run pnr and isoes spontaneously through the offense. Bottom line is that he was running plays as the primary ballhandler in half court sets.

Okay. Since you don't know shit, and you never listen anyway, you can have this argument with yourself. Have fun.

DPG21920
10-26-2016, 12:55 AM
That is the unnoticed or underrated part of Simmons game that makes him interesting: his 3PT shooting. He's gone through plenty of stretches where he makes that shot. That is so big.

Like when Chinook was talking about starting him in place of Danny I brought that up. He actually brings 3PT shooting most of the time which is a big deal and a huge part of his value.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-26-2016, 01:00 AM
Okay. Since you don't know shit, and you never listen anyway, you can have this argument with yourself. Have fun.

Spurs do run pnr, dribble handoffs, and isoes organically out of motion. Simmons did get those looks and used them to his advantage as the primary ball handler throughout the game.

I answered your post directly clearly indicating that I had read and understood what you said. If you don't want to argue then fine but this is one intellectually dishonest copout you are hiding behind here.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 01:04 AM
That is the unnoticed or underrated part of Simmons game that makes him interesting: his 3PT shooting. He's gone through plenty of stretches where he makes that shot. That is so big.

Like when Chinook was talking about starting him in place of Danny I brought that up. He actually brings 3PT shooting most of the time which is a big deal and a huge part of his value.

Let's hope that this is a sign of things to come. His three point shooting wasn't great in summer league.

davidbowie
10-26-2016, 01:07 AM
is simmons the one that was trashing us on Vine when ray allen hit the 3? i cant remember

ElNono
10-26-2016, 01:13 AM
Draymond Green also noted Jonathon Simmons' 20-point explosion.

“Then we let Simmons come in and destroy us in the first half. And he continued it in the second half. I mean, no disrespect to him, but you can’t let guys like that come off the bench and get 20. It’s hard to win like that.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/golden-state-warriors/post/_/id/2465/golden-slumber-warriors-open-with-a-resounding-thud

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 01:13 AM
Just saw the highlights on ESPN. Simmons has block of the year and dunk of the year so far. :lol

itzsoweezee
10-26-2016, 01:31 AM
Motherfuckers were on here saying some no name dude from Argentina was a better player than Simmons. There are a lot of morons on this forum

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2016, 02:51 AM
Kyle fans: :cry Why does Pop baby Simmons so much? Ugh. He's going to get undeserved minutes :cry

Splits
10-26-2016, 03:18 AM

“Then we let Simmons come in and destroy us in the first half. And he continued it in the second half. I mean, no disrespect to him, but you can’t let guys like that come off the bench and get 20. It’s hard to win like that.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/golden-state-warriors/post/_/id/2465/golden-slumber-warriors-open-with-a-resounding-thud

Raymond should have gone to his signature move to slow him down

greenkicksnuts.gif

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 03:52 AM
Nah not going to shit on him TBH. He's not going to shoot like that regularly bc that's not possible, but so long as he plays with teammates and moves the ball then takes what's coming to him, I have to respect his game. He balled out big time tonight...

ceperez
10-26-2016, 05:32 AM
No other explanation tbh

I don't doubt that.

Sad to see so many ST posters on his case during pre-season. I've been saying since day one that Spurs need that kind of athleticism to win against GSW.

ceperez
10-26-2016, 05:34 AM

Wow.... sounds pretty disrespectful to me! Good thing Simmons added insult to injury by dunking on the last play.

kobyz
10-26-2016, 06:57 AM
Now you all starting to ride Simmons dick, i was the only believer in him here while getting much critics for this... You should all bowing down for me, once again i was proving as the greatest basketball mind here, lol all you couldn't recognize the kid still had promise, lol all you laughing when i said Simmons should get bigger chance and even a place in the starting lineup instead of Green regardless of the injury...

Solid D
10-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Now you all starting to ride Simmons dick, i was the only believer in him here while getting much critics for this... You should all bowing down for me, once again i was proving as the greatest basketball mind here, lol all you couldn't recognize the kid still had promise, lol all you laughing when i said Simmons should get bigger chance and even a place in the starting lineup instead of Green regardless of the injury...

Lol ... like how you did not defend Jonathon in the "Trade MCW for Simmons" thread a couple of weeks ago? The same thread where you were willing to trade 2 first round draft choices or even Danny Green for Michael Carter-Williams?

MCW will be great for us to have, is the player we need at pg to give us the ability to take green out of the lineup and put mills in, he also not a cancer(lol people going automatic for the mainstream assumption, he is a gamer and could be very productive in right situation...

DPG21920
10-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Let's hope that this is a sign of things to come. His three point shooting wasn't great in summer league.

True but he shot at 38+% last season so more than respectable over a bigger sample. Like I said, it's something that no one seems to trust or acknowledge with Simmons yet, but it's definitely something he's shown.

rjv
10-26-2016, 09:35 AM
hopefully he reads the stupid and arrogant crap that continues to come out of draymond green's mouth too:

"We let Simmons come in and destroy us in the first half, and he continued it in the second half. No disrespect to him, but you can't let guys like that come off the bench and get 20,"

sasaint
10-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Wow.... sounds pretty disrespectful to me! Good thing Simmons added insult to injury by dunking on the last play.

Not sure about that last play. Sounds like Draymond Goon may be gunning for Simmons next time.

james evans
10-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Kyle fans: :cry Why does Pop baby Simmons so much? Ugh. He's going to get undeserved minutes :cry
hold up, Anderson has fans?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2016, 09:53 AM
hopefully he reads the stupid and arrogant crap that continues to come out of draymond green's mouth too:

"We let Simmons come in and destroy us in the first half, and he continued it in the second half. No disrespect to him, but you can't let guys like that come off the bench and get 20,"

This is because Green is an arrogant stupid motherfucker. 54-16 the Spurs benched outscored GS. It just wasn't Simmons you dumb fuckin jackass.

The Spurs completely abased them last night. And yes, comments like this is going to just add that extra fuel for the Spurs, not just Simmons. Shit, GS is not even going to make it past the Clips if they have to play them with this current team. It's funny how Green last year was like GS now own the Spurs to we can't like guys like Simmons go for 20. He went for 18 last year you stupid fuck in a Spurs loss to GS at GS. It's just your stupid GM gutted that team for 1 PLAYER. GS went to having a top 3 bench last year to probably one of the worst in the NBA over 1 offseason.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 10:00 AM
True but he shot at 38+% last season so more than respectable over a bigger sample. Like I said, it's something that no one seems to trust or acknowledge with Simmons yet, but it's definitely something he's shown.

I'm not sure how to explain it to you, but the reason nobody trusts or acknowledges it is because 50 career attempts isn't a big enough sample to decide that it's 'respectable'. When given the green light, like in summer league, he had one really great game and the rest were pretty bad. Looks like he just earned himself some minutes in the rotation, so we're definitely gonna find out in the next few weeks. It certainly couldn't happen to a nicer kid, so I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed.

sasaint
10-26-2016, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure how to explain it to you, but the reason nobody trusts or acknowledges it is because 50 career attempts isn't a big enough sample to decide that it's 'respectable'. When given the green light, like in summer league, he had one really great game and the rest were pretty bad. Looks like he just earned himself some minutes in the rotation, so we're definitely gonna find out in the next few weeks. It certainly couldn't happen to a nicer kid, so I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed.

Perfectly stated. :toast

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Lol ... like how you did not defend Jonathon in the "Trade MCW for Simmons" thread a couple of weeks ago? The same thread where you were willing to trade 2 first round draft choices or even Danny Green for Michael Carter-Williams?
:lol
Well. Apalisoc is pining the Simmons criticism on me, when he wasn't a fan either, among many others here.

I wasn't even on Simmons case until the very last game he played had 5 TO and was heroballing and had played every game like that. By that point, having seen 5 games like that I thought maybe he wasn't going to turn a corner, but there were far more critical guys than myself. I wasn't starting trade simmons threads, he's not good enough threads etc. That is just spurstalk being spurstalk. I did doubt him, but he hadn't shown things to persuade me either. Now everyone is dickriding him indeed. I am just glad he showed up and maybe I judged him too quickly...

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 10:31 AM
He was also shooting 16% over preseason and as far as I remember was below 20% in summer league. He had not been hitting the 3 very well at all prior to this game, so if there was ever a game for him to go off, he picked a good one. He did improve his midrange game a lot, that was totally absent last year. I could tell his work on that, but his 3 had been off and may be very streaky.

His energy in transition is the most significant aspect and it is a game changer, without that I do think the bench would have struggled. Their 2 bigs are not scorers or shooters, Lee is decent but he's undersized indeed and playing next to Dedmon makes his rolls difficult, I have seen it b4 be bad. But both are energetic bigs. They killed the GSW in transition and pushing the pace.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2016, 10:39 AM
He was also shooting 16% over preseason and as far as I remember was below 20% in summer league. He had not been hitting the 3 very well at all prior to this game, so if there was ever a game for him to go off, he picked a good one. He did improve his midrange game a lot, that was totally absent last year. I could tell his work on that, but his 3 had been off and may be very streaky.

His energy in transition is the most significant aspect and it is a game changer, without that I do think the bench would have struggled. Their 2 bigs are not scorers or shooters, Lee is decent but he's undersized indeed and playing next to Dedmon makes his rolls difficult, I have seen it b4 be bad. But both are energetic bigs. They killed the GSW in transition and pushing the pace.

That's all due to spacing and having to play with all the rooks and new faces added to the Spurs.

The guy nearly shot 50% in the D league 3 years ago from 3 land. People need to realize, playing with newbies shouldn't be a reflection on said player. When Simmons played with the Starters last year, he was more than a solid player. I think Pop was wanting him to be more of the go to guy off the bench and ball handler in this year's Summer League and Preseason. Yeah, he struggled. But it also gave him a shitload of film to cleanup his game.

Game 1. Looks like all those mistakes and learning from them, from all those MEANINGLESS games, paid off last night. Pop uses these meaningless games to take the sink or swim approach with some players. I rather it be in the Preseason and SL than the regular season, which he has done in the past. Give the young guy some credit. 2nd year in the league and he has impressed me with his improvement every time in games THAT MATTER for the most part.

BackHome
10-26-2016, 10:43 AM
You can tell he worked on his handles this summer much better with the basketball and keeping his dribble alive.

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 10:49 AM
That's all due to spacing and having to play with all the rooks and new faces added to the Spurs.

The guy nearly shot 50% in the D league 3 years ago from 3 land. People need to realize, playing with newbies shouldn't be a reflection on said player. When Simmons played with the Starters last year, he was more than a solid player. I think Pop was wanting him to be more of the go to guy off the bench and ball handler in this year's Summer League and Preseason. Yeah, he struggled. But it also gave him a shitload of film to cleanup his game.

Game 1. Looks like all those mistakes and learning from them, from all those MEANINGLESS games, paid off last night. Pop uses these meaningless games to take the sink or swim approach with some players. I rather it be in the Preseason and SL than the regular season, which he has done in the past. Give the young guy some credit. 2nd year in the league and he has impressed me with his improvement every time in games THAT MATTER for the most part.Other guys shot very well, the preseason 3s were good shots. I don't think he's a proven shooter, but he's shooting with confidence and that is good.

kobyz
10-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm also a beliver of MCW, it doesn't say anything about my liking of Simmons and my desire to see him getting more chance with this current roster... You trying too hard, let it go...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Other guys shot very well, the preseason 3s were good shots. I don't think he's a proven shooter, but he's shooting with confidence and that is good.

I not saying he is a proven shooter, I am just saying he is not as bad as the sample size given this offseason and preseason. In the D League, he was a 50% overall shooter in the D League and even last year shot 50% from the field. I think Pop use him in ways he wasn't comfortable with again this offseason and yes, guys shooting % tend to fall when put in those circumstances. But he is learning from it. Pop obviously feels he is capable of it which is why he pushed him this offseason.

His game was much cleaner last night than even last year. I don't think this is just a one time performance. I think this offseason and the way Pop pushed him has made him a better player. He only took 30 shots in the preseason and 14 last night. Simmons struggled trying to run the offense off the bench, but it made him a better player as he now has film to watch to correct his mistakes.

Pop knows he can shot, Pop knows he can play D, Pop knows he can slash to the basket. He most glaring weakness of Simmons last year was his ball handling skills, turnovers and his play making ability. In all 3 categories he looked much better last night than the end of last year. And as a lifelong fan of the Spurs, that is all I want to see from players like Simmons, constant improvement and learning from their mistakes.

That is why many people consider Pop the best coach of all time b/c how much he can get outta guys that other teams dispatch and never even gave chance to.

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 11:12 AM
I not saying he is a proven shooter, I am just saying he is not as bad as the sample size given this offseason and preseason. In the D League, he was a 50% overall shooter in the D League and even last year shot 50% from the field. I think Pop use him in ways he wasn't comfortable with again this offseason and yes, guys shooting % tend to fall when put in those circumstances. But he is learning from it. Pop obviously feels he is capable of it which is why he pushed him this offseason.

His game was much cleaner last night than even last year. I don't think this is just a one time performance. I think this offseason and the way Pop pushed him has made him a better player. He only took 30 shots in the preseason and 14 last night. Simmons struggled trying to run the offense off the bench, but it made him a better player as he now has film to watch to correct his mistakes.

Pop knows he can shot, Pop knows he can play D, Pop knows he can slash to the basket. He most glaring weakness of Simmons last year was his ball handling skills, turnovers and his play making ability. In all 3 categories he looked much better last night than the end of last year. And as a lifelong fan of the Spurs, that is all I want to see from players like Simmons, constant improvement and learning from their mistakes.

That is why many people consider Pop the best coach of all time b/c how much he can get outta guys that other teams dispatch and never even gave chance to.
Ehhh don't get carried by that % the 50 includes a lot of shots (a lot, maybe over half of those shots were at the rim). It's fine bc he's very effective at the rim, but that wasn't exactly shooting is the point. Can't look up the specifics but I have seen them b4, he barely took jumpshots at all, and did take the 3 in the dleague but he was around 39% on about 2 attempts per game his most recent season there... can't recall the first one, but it was lower. It does show improvement with coaching, but he's been streaky. If I remember past ASB he was shooting just 30% on the 3. It doesn't matter so long as he's shooting with confidence though, his game is not strictly the 3 ball. I am just glad he made shots here, since really he hadn't been making them at all for moths. (30% after ASB, less than 20% over SL, 16% in preseason is hardly encouraging). He may just be regressing to a better shooting %. He reworked his shot and that takes time to hold so even though he had been shooting poorly I had not assumed he wouldn't bounce back.

Solid D
10-26-2016, 11:14 AM
I'm also a beliver of MCW, it doesn't say anything about my liking of Simmons and my desire to see him getting more chance with this current roster... You trying too hard, let it go...

;) , oh, so now you're being serious.

kobyz
10-26-2016, 11:18 AM
;) , oh, so now you're being serious.

You talking bs, Just admitt you failed and move on...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2016, 11:29 AM
. He may just be regressing to a better shooting %. He reworked his shot and that takes time to hold so even though he had been shooting poorly I had not assumed he wouldn't bounce back.

People said the same w/ Parker. Look how that turned out. Pop was wanting to add elements to his game this offseason which is why he struggled. I agree with you that he was horrible and needed to improve. I notice when Pop is making changes to a player's game and he demand Simmons to get out of his comfort zone this offseason. Players ARE GOING TO STRUGGLE in doing so, which I for one wasn't worried about Simmons. Like you said, it's a learning curve.

But Simmons has impressed me every time Pop challenges him, he rises to the occasion. He did so last year. Remember how bad he was in the preseason last year and the was much better in the regular season. I for one am patient with players while they developed their games. Some players flourish and some players break. Simmons has proven to be a player that rise to the challenge, which is why Pop has stated numerous times. I think Pop sums up Simmons the best. The guy is still learning the game and as well as improving on his own.

DALLAS, TX — Ask most NBA fans who the top head coach in the Association is and most will say without equivocation that it’s San Antonio Spurs boss Gregg Popovich.
And considering that “Pop,” currently the longest-tenured coach with his current team, being in the Alamo City since 1996, has won five NBA championships and been the league’s Coach of the Year three times, calling him the top head coach is nothing short of a no-brainer.
So it makes sense that when Popovich and the rest of the Spurs brass think highly of a player who’s somewhat of an unknown, guys like Gary Neal and Tiago Splitter immediately come to mind, people take notice.
After all, winning five NBA titles gives one instant credibility on a lot of fronts.
San Antonio’s latest success story could very well be 6-foot-6 Jonathon Simmons, a native Texan who took a winding route to reach the Spurs. Now that he’s here, he’s already made quite the impression on his new coach.
“He’s pretty fearless,” Popovich said of Simmons prior to a win in Dallas last week. “He just goes and plays. It’s kind of like Manu [Ginobili]. He just dives into the game and he competes. He’s really got great athletic skills and he’s learning the game. Quick learner, good worker, he’s got a chance to be a longtime player in the league if he pays attention and sticks to it.”

Solid D
10-26-2016, 11:37 AM
You talking bs, Just admitt you failed and move on...

;)

Chinook
10-26-2016, 11:48 AM
You can never silence critics with one game. Scrubs go off all the time. As Spurs fans, we know all about that. If it's 81 games of replacement-level play after this, then it almost doesn't matter. Has to keep getting after, especially when Green comes back and he's in a more permanent role. ST has a habit of jumping on every little change so that posters can be the first to claim victory. It's a long season, folks, and hopefully a long post-season as well.

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 11:49 AM
People said the same w/ Parker. Look how that turned out. Pop was wanting to add elements to his game this offseason which is why he struggled. I agree with you that he was horrible and needed to improve. I notice when Pop is making changes to a player's game and he demand Simmons to get out of his comfort zone this offseason. Players ARE GOING TO STRUGGLE in doing so, which I for one wasn't worried about Simmons. Like you said, it's a learning curve.

But Simmons has impressed me every time Pop challenges him, he rises to the occasion. He did so last year. Remember how bad he was in the preseason last year and the was much better in the regular season. I for one am patient with players while they developed their games. Some players flourish and some players break. Simmons has proven to be a player that rise to the challenge, which is why Pop has stated numerous times. I think Pop sums up Simmons the best. The guy is still learning the game and as well as improving on his own.

DALLAS, TX — Ask most NBA fans who the top head coach in the Association is and most will say without equivocation that it’s San Antonio Spurs boss Gregg Popovich.
And considering that “Pop,” currently the longest-tenured coach with his current team, being in the Alamo City since 1996, has won five NBA championships and been the league’s Coach of the Year three times, calling him the top head coach is nothing short of a no-brainer.
So it makes sense that when Popovich and the rest of the Spurs brass think highly of a player who’s somewhat of an unknown, guys like Gary Neal and Tiago Splitter immediately come to mind, people take notice.
After all, winning five NBA titles gives one instant credibility on a lot of fronts.
San Antonio’s latest success story could very well be 6-foot-6 Jonathon Simmons, a native Texan who took a winding route to reach the Spurs. Now that he’s here, he’s already made quite the impression on his new coach.
“He’s pretty fearless,” Popovich said of Simmons prior to a win in Dallas last week. “He just goes and plays. It’s kind of like Manu [Ginobili]. He just dives into the game and he competes. He’s really got great athletic skills and he’s learning the game. Quick learner, good worker, he’s got a chance to be a longtime player in the league if he pays attention and sticks to it.”He's been very up and down, but I am not going to steal his thunder from this impressive showing TBH. So let's hope for the best.

Solid D
10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
It's a fun little thread for 1/82nd of the regular season.

Spurtacular
10-26-2016, 01:42 PM
No other explanation tbh

I doubt he reads (period), tbh.

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2016, 01:45 PM
I doubt he reads (period), tbh.

Keep it 100, my nigga..did you jerk off every time David Lee had a positive play, last night?

Spurtacular
10-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Keep it 100, my nigga..did you jerk off every time David Lee had a positive play, last night?

Go ahead and give me a dossier of times I've gushed about Lee. Throw in Pau for that matter. Oh sh**. You'll find I've probably been pessimistic at best. Oh f*ck, there's goes all your racist claims BS; you ain't nothing but a two bit troll.

[BITCH SLAP]

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Can you imagine the spurs full of black men and possibly a Muslim player? Jimmertacular would committ suicide..

I bet he wished defeat to the 05 spurs with Nazr mohammad and Mulitple black men..playing against the Whites like Nash and Dirk.

We know he only started cheering for the spurs cause Jimmer got a pity contract...

BackHome
10-26-2016, 03:06 PM
How the hell we get from Spurs to race......You all need to get a room and work on your bro romances.

Spurtacular
10-26-2016, 03:55 PM
How the hell we get from Spurs to race......You all need to get a room and work on your bro romances.

They be trollin' Ain't nothin' new under the sun, bro.

BTW, "Bro romances" Hell f***ing no to that sh**

Spurtacular
10-26-2016, 03:57 PM
Can you imagine the spurs full of black men and possibly a Muslim player? Jimmertacular would committ suicide..

I bet he wished defeat to the 05 spurs with Nazr mohammad and Mulitple black men..playing against the Whites like Nash and Dirk.

We know he only started cheering for the spurs cause Jimmer got a pity contract...

Some bitch who has me on ignore be tryin' to talk! :lmao

For the record, I was full on board with the Spurs in 05; rooted for them over the Mavs. Hell, I even rooted for the Heat to beat the Mavs in 06. Though, I retroactively slap myself for that.

DAF86
10-26-2016, 11:32 PM
I like him better than Anderson as the backup SF, tbh.

Mills, Manu, Simmons, Bertans, Dedmon.

That's my second unit lineup.

TheDoctor
10-27-2016, 12:18 AM
You guys need to hold your horses on JSimms. He's a scrub no matter what who had the game of his life MJ style. Sorry that's the reality. I mean, draining off-balanced-guarded-buzzer-beater-treys? Last night he was unbelievable yes but it was the 1st game of the season and nobody saw him coming/weren't prepared. Sure thing is, he'll be the same old TO machine sooner or later. He can make me eat all the crow he wants tho :lol

MaNu4Tres
10-27-2016, 12:23 AM
You guys need to hold your horses on JSimms. He's a scrub no matter what who had the game of his life MJ style. Sorry that's the reality. I mean, draining off-balanced-guarded-buzzer-beater-treys? Last night he was unbelievable yes but it was the 1st game of the season and nobody saw him coming/weren't prepared. Sure thing is, he'll be the same old TO machine sooner or later. He can make me eat all the crow he wants tho :lol

Whats encouraging is last year his only above average skill was to slash here and there.

Last night he attempted 5 threes. Last year he attempted .9 threes a game.

Word is, he worked all summer long with Chip -- 6 hours a day. If he can be efficient from three with the volume, he's going to be an incredible player off the bench this year.

TheDoctor
10-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Whats encouraging is last year his only above average skill was to slash here and there.

Last night he attempted 5 threes. Last year he attempted .9 threes a game.

Word is, he worked all summer long with Chip -- 6 hours a day. If he can be efficient from three with the volume, he's going to be an incredible player off the bench this year.

I don't think he can maintain that efficiency level tbh. But, If he can do at least half of that on a nightly basis, with Danny already on the team, watch-out NBA.

spurraider21
10-27-2016, 12:37 AM
In those 0.9 attempts he was shooting a solidly efficient 38.3%. If he can stay around the 40% mark, in addition to his ability to drive... could be a real player. In his last full year in the d-league he was shooting 39.8% from 3. He also shot close to 39% in college. That's a decent baseline to be working with, plus chip's tutelage

TheyCallMePro
10-27-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm actually very wary of Simmons performance in the first game. It was an aberration, to be sure. He's just not that good a shooter. But some prayer, high-arking 3's went in and Golden State's transition defense was just uncommonly bad. Not to mention Simmons was playing against the Warriors 2nd unit.

Love Simmon's confidence and fearlessness. But I'd favor Bertans or Green over him out there any day. Especially in the playoffs. Simmons is a good exclamation point player for blow-outs. But in tight, slow-tempo playoff games we need more consistent and savvier players out there. Pop knew that last year and that's why Simmons spent the playoffs in a suit behind the bench. Really hate that Green is injured right now -- could end up having a negative effect on things.

PopTheGOAT
10-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Why are you all on his 3pt shooting? Yeah, he shot great vs the Dubs, and no, he won't keep that up. But, 3pt shooting is just a bonus to all the other things he brings to the team. His two most impactful tools are his ability to be a slasher and his defensive upside. If he can continue to utilize his athleticism for the better and play solid defense all while shooting an average/respectable percentage, he will be a valuable asset to the team.

TheGreatYacht
10-27-2016, 03:50 PM
Why do people act like he's fathead and doesn't have a three pointer? :lol

He makes them, just doesn't take many. He's worked with Chip on it and looks like he's finally confident in letting it fly

GSH
10-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Nothing in the video that most here don't already know. Still cool that he's getting some buzz outside of SA fans. That Golden State game got a lot of attention.

http://hoopshype.com/2016/10/26/who-is-this-guy-jonathon-simmons/

SAGirl
10-28-2016, 10:48 PM
http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2016/10/28/why-jonathon-simmons-is-a-diamond-in-the-rough

Good article for the Jon Simmons fan. :toast

GSH
10-28-2016, 11:13 PM
http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2016/10/28/why-jonathon-simmons-is-a-diamond-in-the-rough

Good article for the Jon Simmons fan. :toast

Another good mention to come out of the GS game. Simmons has one of the best stories, I think. I hope he helps the team a lot this season. But I also hope he plays well enough to get a good contract (wherever) next year. I just like the guy, and the fact that he got here all on his own, by being too tough to quit. I had forgotten that he paid $150 to get his workout with the Toros. He's more than just a longshot to be here. :toast

DMC
11-06-2016, 01:25 AM