PDA

View Full Version : Should simmons start

RD2191
10-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Over DG TBH? He just brings a different dynamic to the starting lineup. He just brings so much more offensively than DG and that's just refreshing. (Yes I K of its only 1 game.)

look_at_g_shred
10-26-2016, 12:18 AM
Him and Patty coming off the bench bring so much energy! The bench looked solid. Reminded me of 2014 Finals...almost

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2016, 12:18 AM
No, even if Simmons puts it together, he needs to be Manu's successor..

Putting him in the starting lineup removes his best trait, which is creating off the dribble, since he would be playing with Parker, Kawhi and Aldridge..

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 12:19 AM
:lol Right now this is the game of his life, folks.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2016, 12:19 AM
No. He is a dynamic bench player. His edge off the bench is his athleticism over other bench players. He just owns them. Every team needs a player like Simmons who can come off the bench. LMA and Kawhi can score enough without him starting games.

Keepin' it real
10-26-2016, 12:21 AM
I bet you wanted McFly to run for class president after he knocked out Biff. :wakeup

Nathan89
10-26-2016, 12:21 AM
Not over Green he shouldn't.

coachmac87
10-26-2016, 12:22 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Spur|n|Austin
Start over Green? Thafuck

spurraider21

Putting him in the starting lineup removes his best trait, which is creating off the dribble, since he would be playing with Parker, Kawhi and Aldridge..

hooperflash
10-26-2016, 12:24 AM
He looks more like a Spur than ever (no celebrations after a score) and his defense looked much improved too.

Mr. Body
10-26-2016, 12:25 AM
No fucking way. He's inconsistent. Green's defense is too important. Simmons can rip bench players.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 12:26 AM

I think that plan will go the same way having Bonner succeed Horry did. Simmons can't run the point. He had a lot of success tonight because he was NOT in that role for most of the game. His turnovers started when he was at the point in the 4th quarter.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 12:27 AM
He looks more like a Spur than ever (no celebrations after a score) and his defense looked much improved too.

His defense was very attentive, and he was in good position. So was Mills, btw.

Mnky
10-26-2016, 12:35 AM
Just picture Danny Green being in everytime Kyle was.. and the spurs suddenly look even better than they did already. He needs to stay on the bench, where he has opportunity and is surrounded by players who will give him easier shots. He had a great game. Like pop said.. "he just scored 20 points". I agree.the points didn't matter. It was him playing within the system. Attacking when he should, bench doesn't have enough of this. Taking open shots.. does matter if go in, shoot them confidently. Kyle which is his main minute competition is horrible at this, and stagnates the offense.

Hussling, and playing defense. These things are what he can do, others can't, and what makes him so valuable on the bench. 6 ppg would be good from him. The intangibles are what matter most.

rastaspur
10-26-2016, 12:38 AM
No. Let anderson be a keith bogans placeholder until danny returns and bring simmons off the bench for energy.

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2016, 12:40 AM
I loved the energy off the bench from Patty, Simmons and Manu..it's a nice contrast from the starting lineup's slower pace..

timtonymanu
10-26-2016, 12:42 AM
Of course not.

Hopefully Simmons starts looking like this more often though. It would be really huge because the Spurs really need guard depth.

midnightpulp
10-26-2016, 12:43 AM
I loved the energy off the bench from Patty, Simmons and Manu..it's a nice contrast from the starting lineup's slower pace..

This.

Those two dynamics will be hard to gameplan for. It's a like a curveball/fastball. Most teams stay with their identity when they go to the bench, but the Spurs bench present a totally different look.

It's why wanting any of the bench players to start is retarded (i.e. start Patty Krew).

FuzzyLumpkins
10-26-2016, 12:46 AM
Him and Patty coming off the bench bring so much energy! The bench looked solid. Reminded me of 2014 Finals...almost

I agree. With LMA and Claw on the frontline you don't need that scoring punch. Once Verde comes back it becomes moot but early returns are he deserves more minutes than KA.

MaNu4Tres
10-26-2016, 01:53 AM
Looking forward to this lineup off the bench:

C: Dedmon
PF:Bertans
SF:Simmons
SG:Manu
PG:Mills

Only a matter of time.

Simmons spending 6 hours a day in the gym in the off-season looks to have paid off -- at least so far. Hopefully he can remain efficient on O and be disciplined on D and carve out a consistent role.

gambit1990
10-26-2016, 01:56 AM
This.

Those two dynamics will be hard to gameplan for. It's a like a curveball/fastball. Most teams stay with their identity when they go to the bench, but the Spurs bench present a totally different look.

It's why wanting any of the bench players to start is retarded (i.e. start Patty Krew).
you didn't watch the game.

TimDunkem
10-26-2016, 02:04 AM
No. We'll need as much offense from the second unit as we can get once DG comes back and Fathead returns to the bench to stink it up.

raybies
10-26-2016, 02:07 AM
:lol Right now this is the game of his life, folks.

raybies
10-26-2016, 02:08 AM
I think that plan will go the same way having Bonner succeed Horry did. Simmons can't run the point. He had a lot of success tonight because he was NOT in that role for most of the game. His turnovers started when he was at the point in the 4th quarter.

jyra
10-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Looking forward to this lineup off the bench:

C: Dedmon
PF:Bertans
SF:Simmons
SG:Manu
PG:Mills

Only a matter of time.

Simmons spending 6 hours a day in the gym in the off-season looks to have paid off -- at least so far. Hopefully he can remain efficient on O and be disciplined on D and carve out a consistent role.

:tu I really like that lineup.

Chinook
10-26-2016, 07:06 AM
If this is just the way Simmons is going to be, then maybe. But Danny starting raises the team's floor while not lowering their ceiling much at all. You have a healthy Danny out there instead of Anderson, and you don't see Curry or Durant go off. Folks acting as if the Spurs played out of their minds are delusional. They can still get much, much better.

kobyz
10-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Of course, i said it since the start of training camp, Simmons dribble drive game, intensity and dynamic are much needed over Green with the current starting lineup...

Raven
10-26-2016, 07:24 AM
lol, no.

John B
10-26-2016, 07:33 AM
Nope but he puts a lot of pressure on DG. It's good healthy competition. The one who needs to start is Dedmon over Pao. Spurs are just so athletic with Dedmon, Khawi and LMA. Stacked!

Raven
10-26-2016, 07:45 AM
Nope but he puts a lot of pressure on DG. It's good healthy competition. The one who needs to start is Dedmon over Pao. Spurs are just so athletic with Dedmon, Khawi and LMA. Stacked!

:lmao

raybies
10-26-2016, 07:46 AM
If this is just the way Simmons is going to be, then maybe. But Danny starting raises the team's floor while not lowering their ceiling much at all. You have a healthy Danny out there instead of Anderson, and you don't see Curry or Durant go off. Folks acting as if the Spurs played out of their minds are delusional. They can still get much, much better.

Yeah but if DG comes back and starts bricking threes like last year, it might as well be turnovers.

Simmons was a two way player tonight and very dynamic at that. He was driving and he was shooting of the catch. He played very well with the starters. When he started to play the "manu" role, he started turning the ball over our drinking off his foot. It's too much responsibility for him imo. At least right now. Maybe he grows, but even in the summer same thing happens.

Anyways, Im not suggesting he start but I agree a little health comp would be good for the position.

But it's for the best for now that Green returns form and Simmons becomes a key cog off the bench. We need it.

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 09:08 AM
They need him in the bench right now, bc the bench bigs are not scoring threats except Lee and he's better off actions by others, and Dedmon does clog the lane. Manu cannot pull this off against the elites like he used to. Simmons thrives in transition scoring and pushing the pace and the controlled chaos is more a bench thing than the SL style. If he plays this well defensively he could start, but he helps the team more helping the bench out.

Maddog
10-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Danny Green may become basketballs Tony Romo...

well probably not. Simmons had the game of his life. I was impressed with the passes as much as the highlight 3s, dunk and block. We'll see if he can continue to perform at an high level.

sasaint
10-26-2016, 10:52 AM
:lmao

Good take. But I expect Pau will start as long as he is healthy, although against many teams he may give way to Deadman quickly - as he did tonight.

Captivus
10-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Check number 1 and 2...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qNmYJfGqQ

Raven
10-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Good take. But I expect Pau will start as long as he is healthy, although against many teams he may give way to Deadman quickly - as he did tonight.

I really don't see who is supposed to benefit from the move. Aldridge is sure to have his efficiency nuked with the move, kawhi would probably get injured much faster and so on..

RD2191
05-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Over DG TBH? He just brings a different dynamic to the starting lineup. He just brings so much more offensively than DG and that's just refreshing. (Yes I K of its only 1 game.)

Sigh. Bold me.

Ice009
05-21-2017, 10:49 AM
The dude showed mental toughness and didn't fold against the most overloaded team in NBA history. Should have given him a chance earlier.

I still like Simmons' quote from earlier in the year "the weak cannot play for Pop."

picnroll
05-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Simmons should start in place of Mills.

RD2191
05-21-2017, 10:57 AM
The dude showed mental toughness and didn't fold against the most overloaded team in NBA history. Should have given him a chance earlier.

I still like Simmons' quote from earlier in the year "the weak cannot play for Pop."

Hopefully he was throwing shade at LMA. :lol

Ice009
05-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Hopefully he was throwing shade at LMA. :lol

I doubt it, but it would be cool if he was. Good call on him. I didn't think he'd play like this in the playoffs against either Houston or the Warriors. They guy really showed some tremendous mental toughness.

I hope Pop gets rid of those weak players and keeps Simmons for a reasonable contract. I think he's still young enough (mileage wise) that his athleticism could still be good for a few more years. If he keeps making the improvements that he's made on his game this past season up until now, I think he can be a good player for the Spurs. I really think his hard work is starting to pay off. Hopefully he sees that the incremental improvement he's made on his game throughout the season (thanks in large part IMO to the Spurs training staff) allows him to consider giving us a discount in free agency should the Spurs want to bring him back.

I mean, I'm not saying he should take a discount because he owes the Spurs anything - he was the one that put in the work, but I'm coming from the angle of him taking his game to the next level. I think his best chance of becoming an even better player is if he sticks with the Spurs and continutes his development. If he wants to primarly get paid, that's up to him. I won't be mad at him if that is the case. He almost quit Basketball to work a regular 9-5 job. I think I read that his mother told him that maybe he should think about quitting and becoming a Barber. Apparently he has a bit of talent as a Barber.

boutons_deux
05-21-2017, 11:09 AM
his confidence is growing with his game, very cool collected player, if spurs can retain him

a training camp walk-on try out? great personal story

TXstbobcat
05-21-2017, 11:10 AM
I doubt it, but it would be cool if he was. Good call on him. I didn't think he'd play like this in the playoffs against either Houston or the Warriors. They guy really showed some tremendous mental toughness.

I hope Pop gets rid of those weak players and keeps Simmons for a reasonable contract. I think he's still young enough (mileage wise) that his athleticism could still be good for a few more years. If he keeps making the improvements that he's made on his game this past season up until now, I think he can be a good player for the Spurs. I really think his hard work is starting to pay off. Hopefully he sees that the incremental improvement he's made on his game throughout the season (thanks to the Spurs training staff) allows him to consider giving us a discount in free agency should the Spurs want to bring him back.

Not a chance in hell that Simmons signs with the Spurs for a discount. Other teams are going to throw him big contract offers and this is his first and probably only chance to cash in.

TXstbobcat
05-21-2017, 11:12 AM
his confidence is growing with his game, very cool collected player, if spurs can retain him

a training camp walk-on try out? great personal story

It is a great story but if the Spurs want to keep him they are going to have to pay him big time. He is going to get some big contract offers this summer.

Ice009
05-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Not a chance in hell that Simmons signs with the Spurs for a discount. Other teams are going to throw him big contract offers and this is his first and probably only chance to cash in.

Oh well, I don't really care about money that much. If I was playing at the NBA level, my main priority would be to become a better player. If the money is close or even a little distance off, I'd still chose a team where I think I could improve my game the most. I think he wouldn't be as good as he is now if it wasn't for the Spurs. I think all the work he's put in is really starting to really pay off. I'm not sure he'll be the best player he can be if he goes to another team. I won't fault him if he chooses the money, though.

TXstbobcat
05-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Oh well, I don't really care about money that much. If I was playing at the NBA level, my main priority would be to become a better player. If the money is close or even a little distance off, I'd still chose a team where I think I could improve my game the most. I think he wouldn't be as good as he is now if it wasn't for the Spurs. I think all the work he's put in is really starting to really pay off. I'm not sure he'll be the best player he can be if he goes to another team. I won't fault him if he chooses the money, though.

i really hope that Simmons does stay with the Spurs but with 4 kids I am guessing that Simmons does care about the money.

BackHome
05-21-2017, 01:37 PM
I don't know he is a Texan boy so I only see him leaving if it's to Houston or Dallas. Plus he knows he wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for Pop who gave him the chance that no other team would give. Add to that how many players have gone to other teams only to be out of NBA after contract was over. He might make less in SA but he will have a longer career here in SA

LkrFan
05-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Pop should mandate that me makes 1,000 3ptrs per day this summer. Simmons > Green...but if y'all can't afford him, he can go West. I hear the Lakers have cap space ;)

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Pop should mandate that me makes 1,000 3ptrs per day this summer. Simmons > Green...but if y'all can't afford him, he can go West. I hear the Lakers have cap space ;)
It's been known that he worked on his midrange shot all summer, and it vastly improved. No doubt he'll put the time and work on his 3pt shot next. Hard worker, unlike Green.

Spurs assistant coach Chip Engelland has been working with Simmons on shooting, too. He had Simmons start to shoot the ball away from his face and with a higher arc. The shooting drills have all been from mid-range, part of a plan to help Simmons make a greater impact.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Simmons-aiming-for-solid-summer-8340591.php

LkrFan
05-21-2017, 03:40 PM
It's been known that he worked on his midrange shot all summer, and it vastly improved. No doubt he'll put the time and work on his 3pt shot next. Hard worker, unlike Green.

Spurs assistant coach Chip Engelland has been working with Simmons on shooting, too. He had Simmons start to shoot the ball away from his face and with a higher arc. The shooting drills have all been from mid-range, part of a plan to help Simmons make a greater impact.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Simmons-aiming-for-solid-summer-8340591.php

Yeah, he's a nice player. He could have a long career as a 3 and D guy. All teams can use somebody like that. Bruce Lee Bowen made a nice (dirty ;)) career out of it :lol