PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol...

Amuseddaysleeper
10-26-2016, 12:36 AM
Great start from him, and he had some lovely passes but as the game went on he absolutely nose dived.

It's only one game, and I'm still really happy the Spurs were able to sign him, but my god was his defense ATROCIOUS at times. The biggest issue is how often he looked like he didn't give an F on defense. So many lazy plays on that end. Hopefully Pop whips him into shape.

ECOV
10-26-2016, 12:37 AM
In Due time

Robz4000
10-26-2016, 12:38 AM
The GS matchup just isn't for him. He'll come in handy against the Clips, Thunder, and Cavs though.

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Eh, I'm not a fan, but you can't judge him by his first game with a new team vs. a team that he probably won't be able to play extended minutes against(Duncan didn't, either)..

LakerHater
10-26-2016, 12:39 AM
PnR D sucked really bad!

BillMc
10-26-2016, 12:41 AM
The GS matchup just isn't for him. He'll come in handy against the Clips, Thunder, and Cavs though.

This

FuzzyLumpkins
10-26-2016, 12:44 AM
To me he looked tentative to lost and playing to not make mistakes. Saw several missed rotations, late switches and uncertain technique on closeouts. They ran some games with him on high/lows and off the elbow and he was not on the same page readwise with his teammates which resulted in late passes and broken plays.

In short he played like shit but it looked like things that could be rectified with diligence in practice. We still won by near 30.

Kawhitstorm
10-26-2016, 12:51 AM
The biggest issue is how often he looked like he didn't give an F on defense. So many lazy plays on that end. Hopefully Pop whips him into shape.

He was playing that Boris 1.0 defense.:lol

He should be fine against the rest of the league since they won't be switching on defense thus he will be allowed to sag in the paint & just worry about the rim.

As far as the postseason is concerned, he more suited for a potential 1st rd battle against the Jazz b/c they don't have a PG that can attack him on PnRs. Otherwise, the PGs on the road to a title (Chris Paul/Curry/Kyrie) are going to feast on him.

-21-
10-26-2016, 12:53 AM
Gasol, Anderson and Dedmon's performances were the only disappointing things from this game.

10-26-2016, 12:56 AM
Gasol, Anderson and Dedmon's performances were the only disappointing things from this game.
Dedmon played pretty well.. he grabbed offensive boards and got a couple of blocks. He definitely bothered the Warriors. He was +29 too

DPG21920
10-26-2016, 12:59 AM
Rough situation and rough game. It's going to take time with Pau. Especially with Kyle in there instead of Danny (not to mention the opponent) it made it tough. Danny would cover up a lot of defensive issues for Pau and also provide spacing.

The encouraging part was Pau was getting IDENTICAL looks as Tim last year and he didn't even hesitate. Didn't shoot great but everything looked fine there and even saw some passing.

Rim protection should be there from Pau, but defensively we know he's not great. Sa can still be a top 5 defense with him. But on offense he should pay dividends by knocking down those shots Tim just could not and providing the spacing.

BD24
10-26-2016, 01:04 AM
Ehh Dedmon played decent defense and was good on the boards. We already knew he was a piece of shit on the offensive end so no surprise there.

Kawhitstorm
10-26-2016, 01:12 AM
Rim protection should be there from Pau, but defensively we know he's not great.

Even Bogut was terrible when he was forced to switch on PnRs, that's what happened to Pau tonight.

DJR210
10-26-2016, 01:14 AM

:lmao Dedman almost morphed into Deadman when he got rim checked.. dude nearly broke his back

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 01:15 AM
Funny that the starters keep getting such shit for playing one of the most talented starting lineups ever assembled, and Spurs' reserves get all this credit for destroying what we've pretty much all agreed is a sub-par bench. All of the reserves played really well, but the talent level really drops a lot when all four of the Warriors' good players aren't on the court at the same time.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2016, 01:15 AM
:lmao Dedman almost morphed into Deadman when he got rim checked.. dude nearly broke his back

That was funny, but still, I don't think any Spurs will ever top this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq8tgKJeEtY

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 01:16 AM

And he was really good the rest of the game, especially on defense.

thekingrobert
10-26-2016, 01:20 AM
Dedman reminds me of Fransico Elson so that's not good, only one game though

SpurPadre
10-26-2016, 01:21 AM
Dedmon looked great, watching this live. Very active down low and the Dubs seemed surprised by his physicality. He'll definitely be an asset and defensively an improvement over West.

Chinook
10-26-2016, 01:23 AM
Too bad neither "Pau" or "Gasol" starts with a D, because it would also be a thing to call him that without the D. Shit, he was bad.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-26-2016, 01:23 AM
Dedmon like Gasol played with a lot of uncertainty. His athleticism is remarkable though.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2016, 01:24 AM

Agree and don't agree. He is much more aggressive than Elson. Much better rebounder and defender. But that dear in the headlight look on offense, yes, that totally popped in my mind tonight. But defensively, no, way better than Elson.

Spur|n|Austin
10-26-2016, 01:24 AM

Wrong on Dedmon.

jiggy_55
10-26-2016, 01:28 AM

100%.

However, the effort as mentioned by OP was an issue. Durant blew by him for a layup like Gasol was a cone out there, same thing went for Curry multiple times today. Not saying he has any business keeping up with either of those guys, but he simply didn't move/slide his feet. LMA's defense is so much better, and LMA is not a fantastic defender

thekingrobert
10-26-2016, 01:29 AM
let's hope he doesn't have Elson's hands

BD24
10-26-2016, 01:34 AM
let's hope he doesn't have Elson's hands
He does, he has Jeff Errors hand from what I have seen.

Kawhitstorm
10-26-2016, 01:36 AM
LMA's defense is so much better, and LMA is not a fantastic defender

LMA is pretty mobile for a guy his size, his issue is that he's a center that wants to play the 4 which is the opposite of Bosh.:lol

phxspurfan
10-26-2016, 01:38 AM

This. This wasn't a Twin Towers type of game. Against teams like Cleveland he may come in handy.

phxspurfan
10-26-2016, 01:39 AM
100%.

However, the effort as mentioned by OP was an issue. Durant blew by him for a layup like Gasol was a cone out there, same thing went for Curry multiple times today. Not saying he has any business keeping up with either of those guys, but he simply didn't move/slide his feet. LMA's defense is so much better, and LMA is not a fantastic defender

LMA's also been in the Spurs system for a year. Gasol, preseason and 1 game

YGWHI
10-26-2016, 01:42 AM
Dedmon looked great, watching this live. Very active down low and the Dubs seemed surprised by his physicality. He'll definitely be an asset and defensively an improvement over West.

Also, West and Boris couldn't get one offensive rebound against OKC in the whole series, Dedmon and Lee are upgrades at it.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 01:43 AM
This. This wasn't a Twin Towers type of game. Against teams like Cleveland he may come in handy.

The Spurs' size really wore the EDIT: WARRRIORS down. Most of the baskets they got came off heroic offensive plays or Spurs' mistakes. They will get better as the season goes on, but so will the Spurs, and the Dubs damn sure ain't gonna get bigger.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-26-2016, 01:44 AM
He was playing that Boris 1.0 defense.:lol

He should be fine against the rest of the league since they won't be switching on defense thus he will be allowed to sag in the paint & just worry about the rim.

As far as the postseason is concerned, he more suited for a potential 1st rd battle against the Jazz b/c they don't have a PG that can attack him on PnRs. Otherwise, the PGs on the road to a title (Chris Paul/Curry/Kyrie) are going to feast on him.

By the way, good to see us on the same side for once :toast

Amuseddaysleeper
10-26-2016, 01:45 AM
The Spurs' size really wore the Thunder down. Most of the baskets they got came off heroic offensive plays or Spurs' mistakes. They will get better as the season goes on, but so will the Spurs, and the Dubs damn sure ain't gonna get bigger.

Don't you mean the Thunder size wore the Spurs down? Agreed about the Dubs lack of size, and lack of a bench. I just hope we don't have something stupid happen like a solid big man gets bought out and the Warriors grab him for peanuts.

jiggy_55
10-26-2016, 01:45 AM
LMA's also been in the Spurs system for a year. Gasol, preseason and 1 game

That's no excuse for not moving/shuffling his feet.. that's just basketball.. that play against Durant was a 1 on 1 basically, if you put a cone instead of Gasol it may have defended it better

jiggy_55
10-26-2016, 01:46 AM
Don't you mean the Thunder size wore the Spurs down? Agreed about the Dubs lack of size, and lack of a bench. I just hope we don't have something stupid happen like a solid big man gets bought out and the Warriors grab him for peanuts.

You can be sure that'll happen by mid-season

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 01:47 AM

No. I'm an idiot, and I meant the Spurs' size wore the Warriors down. Don't know where I got Thunder from. Sorry. :lol

MaNu4Tres
10-26-2016, 01:47 AM

T-Park said Jeff Ayres was going to be the next Antonio McDyess. LOL

Nathan89
10-26-2016, 01:48 AM
Pau's defense was the most alarming thing of the night to me.

SpurPadre
10-26-2016, 01:58 AM
Also, West and Boris couldn't get one offensive rebound against OKC in the whole series, Dedmon and Lee are upgrades at it.

Yeah, Lee will come in handy despite many here pointing out his defensive flaws.

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 02:02 AM
T-Park said Jeff Ayres was going to be the next Antonio McDyess. LOL

That fatass :lol

DJR210
10-26-2016, 02:23 AM
And he was really good the rest of the game, especially on defense.

I gotta go back and watch the game tbh, I can never fucking pay attention in group settings

DJR210
10-26-2016, 02:25 AM

I don't disagree w/ you

DJR210
10-26-2016, 02:28 AM

:lol I remember opening game of the season, whatever year it was when Elson made his debut.. I was crunk as hell cause he threw down two nasty ass jams.. I believe one was a lob.. thought we hit the mini-jackpot in FA :lol.. pretty much the only two things I remember about his Spurs career tbh

phxspurfan
10-26-2016, 11:19 AM

That's exactly what's going to happen. Like the cavs 2 years ago under Blatt, the only thing the Warriors need for playoff success is one big man.

Remember when cavs got mozgov? All of a sudden they started to dominate

phxspurfan
10-26-2016, 11:23 AM
He was playing that Boris 1.0 defense

I forgot about no more Boris this year. Man has this team changed

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Too bad neither "Pau" or "Gasol" starts with a D, because it would also be a thing to call him that without the D. Shit, he was bad.Agreed, I do admit Danny would be much better than Kyle and cover for a lot more, or at least need less help, but the Spurs do defend as a team and I thought Pau was the worst Spur.

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Pau's defense was the most alarming thing of the night to me.Me too. Kyle was disappointing to me bc I am fan and care about his development, but in reality when Danny gets back it doesn't matter.
Pau was alarmingly bad and more relevant bc he does matter on a nightly basis.

Kawhitstorm
10-26-2016, 11:49 AM

They are supposedly keeping an eye on Emeka Okafor but dude might as washed up as Hibbert at this point of his career. They also flirted with Larry Sanders but they don't seem to even trust him as much as Javale.:lol

spursistan
10-26-2016, 11:58 AM
They are supposedly keeping an eye on Emeka Okafor but dude might as washed up as Hibbert at this point of his career. They also flirted with Larry Sanders but they don't seem to even trust him as much as Javale.:lol

If Philly gift-wraps Noel for them, tho..:lol

They are looking for veteran leadership, so one of Livingston/Iggy could be in the deal..

Kawhitstorm
10-26-2016, 12:41 PM
If Philly gift-wraps Noel for them, tho..:lol

They are looking for veteran leadership, so one of Livingston/Iggy could be in the deal..

Colangelo is one of the most old school/grudge holding GMs in the league, he probably won't do a deal w/ the Duds.:toast

illusioNtEk
10-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Pop was yelling at him to get back on D... Reggie Miller mention pop was after him....

Let Cia pop do his work

Solid D
10-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Pau did get confused a few times.

BillMc
10-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Dedmon played pretty well.. he grabbed offensive boards and got a couple of blocks. He definitely bothered the Warriors. He was +29 too