PDA

View Full Version : Game Grade: Spurs @ Warriros

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 01:41 AM
GSW had so much hype coming into the season but the real men, lead by two legit Dark Skinned black dudes in Kawhi Leonard and Jonathan Simmons, dominated and face fucked the GSW light skinned twink and the beta. The spurs struggled offensively in the first 7 minutes or so of the first quarter, but Aldridge and Gasol's effort in the offensive glass and just being a threat in the offensive board kept the Warriors at bay and prevented deadly transition threes..The offensive board threat really slowed the game down when the team needed to slow it down. Forced the smaller warriors to fight for boards....Really the Biggest team story tonight is how every big including Dedmon dominated the offensive board. A total of 21...

Kawhi Leonard A+

The Goods

It's amazing how he's improved a certain aspect of his game every year and this year, it's looking like it's going to be the FTA attempts and PnR. He started with Klay thompson and completely took him out of the game. He shot 15/15 from the FT line and dominated the PnR positions. I honestly can't tell what's more impressive, his new found ability to draw fouls or his improved ball handling and Pnr/P game..Heck maybe it's the fact that he demands the ball..The guy knows he literally the best offensive option in literally every aspect of the game. The best ISO guy, the best three pointer, the best off the ball player, the best PnR player...etc. He didn't shot the ball well from the three point line, but who cares...If you're a complete offensive player, it doesn't matter if you can't hit a three..you're going to figure out a way to score. I don't think anyone would believe that Leonard scored 35 without hitting a three.

The Bads

Hesitant for the first couple of touches...but that's just nitpicking.

Tony Parker B-

The Goods

Tony was solid tonight. Sure, at times it felt like he wasn't even in the court, but it was by design and in a couple of dead position..Tony appeared out of nowhere to bail the team out. He didn't go hero mode. He was just there ready to be a threat and ready to attack if Leonard or Aldridge needed help. Defensively, he was able to stay with his man in offball situations and made the right switches. The effort was there to both fit in offensively and stay with his man defensively.

The Bads

- Tony is a limited defensive player. We all know that...So getting beat and beat in one on one situations shouldn't be a surprise...He made a couple of decent passes out of pick and rolls in the first quarter, but was overall underwhelming in that regard.

Lamarcus Aldridge A

The Goods

Kept the lead in tact in the third quarter. He was super active in the offensive board tonight and made some ridiculous shots in the second quarter when Golden State was trying to make a run. He hit a baseline three in the third quarter and that's honestly very encouraging. He made correct and fast switches and secured the boards defensively. It doesn't look like he's got any problem playing with Gasol offensively..They both seem to know they're role and positions.

The Bads

His rim protection is really questionable. He such a soft rim protector, but that's really the only negative tonight..He was a real positive in the defensive with his quick switches and he was noticbly an active communicator in the defensive end.

Pau Gasol D-

The Goods

More bads than goods for Gasol tonight. Fortunately, it's his first game. Similar to Aldridge, the Smaller warriors had difficulty keeping him out of the boards in the first quarter...

The Bads

He only played 18 minutes tonight and that's largely because he was the worst defensive player in the court by far... He missed switches, didnt force the three pointers to drive, and just got destroyed by GSW offensive players. He kept on refusing swithces with guards when the guards clearly needed help ( bad communication)...not to worry though, it's his first game and communication is workable

Kyle Anderson C-

The Goods

Didn't allow durant to abuse him...His offball defense was passable. made the right switches.

The Bads..

You wouldn't know he played offensively even if you watched the game. In the first quarter, he passed up a wide open corner three from kawhi that resulted in a desperation shot...He just looks lost out there and has no idea what he is as an offensive player.

Manu Ginobili A-

The Goods

I'm hoping this manu last till June. He looked spry out there and contributed positively even without the ball..Today, he was for the majority of the time an offball player and clearly he has no issue contributing with his someowhat different role and when he was handling the ball, he moved it to the right spots. Looks like Manu of last year..No sign of decline. Manu at 39 is still an amazing competitor in the defensive end..Not a single one of these twinks could lose him with their deadly offball movements...Lol guys couldn't get pass him...5 boards too in short minutes.

The Bads

took a couple of bad threes..but who cares..Team needs this kind of Manu

Patty Mills A

The Goods

Super active night for patty..Shot 3-5 from three, and was a perfect compliment to a ball-handling Leonard. His activity in the defensive end resulted in 4 steals and transition buckets in the offensive end..Amazing how a 5'10 dude can contribute this much defensively. Manu was a huge help since he saw a lot of Mccaw and Clark in the defensive end with Manu glued to Livingston and whatever other wing.

The bad..

Can't even think of anything even if I have to nitpick..

Jonathan Simmons A

The Goods

Here's a quote from SAGirl about Jonthan Simmons " We need to trade him for a second rounder. He's so selfish and not a good fit with Kyle and the bench"...Sagirl, better buy a pregnancy test tomorrow because I'm pretty sure J.Simms just impregranted her Against her will. Made almost every shot..In truth, it was a fluky offensive game but the biggest thing tonight was that he didn't look like a terrible defender. Great chase in offball sitautions and the energy on D matched the result. If Simmons wants to stay as a Spur, he needs this kind of defensive outing. It's pretty darn clear, Simmons thrives when real talent is around...terrific offball offense. Didn't hesistate shooting the three ball.

The Bad...

He dunked on some dude with 2 minutes left and up by 25+...He's going to get DNped next game.

David Lee B+

The Goods

killed the smaller warriors tonight. In Just 11 minutes, he grabbed 6 boards and three of them was offensive board...Really opened up the offense with his ability to roll

The Bad

Slippery hands..Surprising, because he's usually good at receiving.

D. Dedmon B-

The Goods

8 boards in 17 minutes. Pop opted for Dedmon with Pau killing our defense and he did a much better job switching and contesting. It's nice to have someone like him in Nights where Pau is going to play like a typical 36 year old.

The Bad..

This dude really needs to start working on his legs..He's out of condition. At this age, the rim shouldn't be blocking his dunk attempts. it hard to think how he's going to contribute offensively outside of offensive boards because teams will eventually figure out he can't finish or catch a ball.

Can't really grade the scrubs and Bertans..Didnt play meaningful minutes.

playbonner15
10-26-2016, 01:45 AM
Didnt get to catch game. Thanks Apa! :toast

playbonner15
10-26-2016, 01:47 AM
The Bad...

He dunked on some dude with 2 minutes left and up by 25+...He's going to get DNped next game.

LOL yeah almost everybody stood up but Pop sat down and frowned instead :lol

gambit1990
10-26-2016, 01:48 AM
game grades don't mean shit without an opinion from someone who didn't watch the game:

I didn't watch the game, but I see that "MVPatty" scored 6 of his 11 points in the 4th quarter when the Spurs were up over 20.

That's per par Patty. One of the greatest garbage time shooters in league history.

Let's not act he was crossing up Wardell and drilling step back 3's.

Again, talk to me if he sustains it.

RD2191
10-26-2016, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the grades OP

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 01:50 AM
game grades don't mean shit without an opinion from someone who didn't watch the game:

Can't you just leave it in one thread? Damn. Let it go.

YGWHI
10-26-2016, 01:54 AM
Nice work! Thanks!!! :toast

My two biggest concerns until this game were the defense and the bench.

Manu, Simms, Patty, Dedmon, Lee, exceeded all my expectations tonight, if they can maintain this level...Watch out, NBA.

The defense is still a big issue, especially with Gasol, hopefully Pop can use his size and hide his lack of mobility in the season.

raybies
10-26-2016, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the grades.

Would've mentioned LMAs passing out of double teams and decision making. Seemed adequate and less panicked.

Lol about SaGirl but I'm in the same boat. I do owe Simmons an apology. He he can play like that then I can see why the FO has kept him. He probably plays like that in practice. But if he can't maintain confidence and build from this, facing best comp in West, then will he ever? He played perfect today. He won't shoot as well as this but if they can just keep him in the flow of the offense and not forcing too much, he might be a keeper. Loved his D.

MaNu4Tres
10-26-2016, 02:02 AM
The Bad..

This dude really needs to start working on his legs..He's out of condition. At this age, the rim shouldn't be blocking his dunk attempts. it hard to think how he's going to contribute offensively outside of offensive boards because teams will eventually figure out he can't finish or catch a ball.

Can't really grade the scrubs and Bertans..Didnt play meaningful minutes.

Glad people are starting to notice what I noticed this preseason. He needs to get his legs/core in shape. It will help everything about his game.

gambit1990
10-26-2016, 02:06 AM
Can't you just leave it in one thread? Damn. Let it go.
no.

Robz4000
10-26-2016, 02:29 AM
Solid work imo, agree with everything.

:lol det SAGirl comment doe

TimDunkem
10-26-2016, 02:31 AM
SAGirl popping some anti-depressants as we speak.

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2016, 02:36 AM
Thanks OP :tu

timtonymanu
10-26-2016, 03:19 AM
Thanks apo.

Can't take away too much from one game but really encouraged by what I saw out there.

The bench could actually be solid this year. I know Simmons won't play that well again but just more conssitency in his game would be huge.

Crazy we didn't have Danny who's defense is crucial.

Splits
10-26-2016, 03:30 AM
SAGirl popping some anti-depressants as we speak.

more like Plan B

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 03:33 AM
Lol other than my forcible impregnation and it popping up here fine review TBH. Glad Simmons showed me how it's done. In fact many guys played well and Kiwi and LMA dominated. I hope the guys who were just OK bounce back.

It was a glorious stomping to see the Warriorettes faces in the 4th Q.

TimDunkem
10-26-2016, 03:41 AM
Yet, still, Kyle didn't even manage to look even half-decent. :lol

Em-City
10-26-2016, 04:24 AM
un-ignored to read the Grades & thought it was a good review cheers!

On bertans, in limited minutes, he hit a big 3 about a foot and a half behind the 3pt line, and was aggressive in a bail-out possession where he ended up driving on his defender from the perimeter before making a behind-the-back dribble into a jump shot just behind the free-throw line.

He didn't hesitate at all with his offense and although i don't recall much of his D, i don't think he showed any negatives on that end.

r0drig0lac
10-26-2016, 04:31 AM
good

gilmor
10-26-2016, 04:38 AM
Simmons deserve A++

From Downtown
10-26-2016, 05:00 AM
Thanks Apo
Many guys had a pretty good game, LMA and Kawhi were fantastic on both ends and the bench was great
Simmons probably had the best game of his life, Mills and Manu together are so fun to watch when they're fit and hitting shot, Lee looks like an upgrade compared to West and Ddemon was a good defensive presence
Bertans also showed a couple of nice things in crunch time, I feel like he'll be a solid rotation player by the end of the RS

ceperez
10-26-2016, 05:24 AM
Leonard and Simmons were off the charts beating expectations tonight.

Dedmon, in my book, beat expectations on the defensive side. The Warriors had trouble with him in the court since he could effectively cover quick players. Props for PATFO for recognizing this need.

Pau was a disappointment. Hope it is just a bad game.

GSW cannot defend the Spurs. They are just too small. It was pretty clear that if Parker just put on the after burners, there would be nobody covering the ring.

I'm pretty impressed with this game. I think the Spurs are contenders. They lost Bogut and Ezelli who were both great rim protectors and replaced it with centers that can't jump.

Spurtacular
10-26-2016, 05:25 AM
un-ignored to

:lmao

daledondale
10-26-2016, 06:21 AM
Thanks apo. Hell of a start, let's see how continues. :flag:

Mouth is Bleeding
10-26-2016, 06:27 AM
I was hoping Dedmon had better hands.

Any signs of him being capable of playing pick and roll in the pre-season?

I didn't watch much there.

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 06:41 AM
I was hoping Dedmon had better hands.

Any signs of him being capable of playing pick and roll in the pre-season?

I didn't watch much there.His upside is defense. Didn't see much offense from him in preseason, in fact bad hands is what we have noticed... but he has been getting more comfortable and has played better than when I first saw him. You have to appreciate what he brings on defense and maybe he gets a dunk here or there, but don't expect it. It's more of a highlight.... and I have to say... so far that is.

kobyz
10-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Is Dedmon better than McGee?

Spurs9
10-26-2016, 08:42 AM
I'm really glad we got DLee, he used to kill us when we played against him. Its pretty crazy how deep our bench is and with the potential some of the players we got have.

kobyz
10-26-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm really glad we got DLee, he used to kill us when we played against him. Its pretty crazy how deep our bench is and with the potential some of the players we got have.

He wasn't good enough to be in Warriors and Celtics rotations, why would he be for us?

Roger Freemason Jr.
10-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Leonard definitely made a 3.

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Nope

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2016, 08:54 AM
Dedmon will be fine once he gets adjusted. Not used to the kind of ball movement and passing you see the Spurs bringing.

Kyle deserves an F. Let Durant get going early and didn't do jack on the offensive end.

How can you grade Simmons out at anything less than A+ and not even mention him LeBronning Curry from behind?

Chinook
10-26-2016, 08:58 AM

That was a long-two. Pulled a Vinny.

bigfan
10-26-2016, 09:01 AM
I appreciate the writeup; I used to hate your posts! Hope you do this all season for us out of towners that cant watch the games..

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Dedmon will be fine once he gets adjusted. Not used to the kind of ball movement and passing you see the Spurs bringing.

Kyle deserves an F. Let Durant get going early and didn't do jack on the offensive end.

How can you grade Simmons out at anything less than A+ and not even mention him LeBronning Curry from behind?

Durant scored on TP and some mismatches with the big..i dont think kyle is the reason for durants decent first quarter...I gave him a D- because I thought he played somewhat ok one on one defensively...

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Dedmon was my #1 off-season target, since he's a buy-low flier..I watched him play in Orlando and thought he could be a nice player in a better system..

However, he will never be a good offensive player, nobody should expect otherwise..he competed very well on defense, which is his strength, his mobility on the perimeter was impressive..

Offensively, the best we can hope for is that his hands and catch/finish ability isn't Ayres-level poor..

K...
10-26-2016, 09:09 AM
He wasn't good enough to be in Warriors and Celtics rotations, why would he be for us?

He's a undersized guy without outside shooting. He'll be shut down against other teams, and his hustle might just be due to paying his former team. But, the spurs are deep enough to give him help (err have bench shooters);, if only thing he does is rebound and set screens he'll get minutes

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 09:12 AM
In NBA2k17, Dedmon is a beast Roll scorer and nigga can even post up hall of fame AI. :lol

FromWayDowntown
10-26-2016, 09:17 AM
I thought Pop deserves some credit for recognizing that Pau is going to be a bit Duncan-esque in matchups with Golden State, most likely. I think Pau's going to be fine in a lot of other circumstances, but that matchup with GST is just a really bad one for old school bigs who don't really feel comfortable athletically in space. Recognizing that and not just trying to acclimate Pau through forcing minutes in that matchup was a good call by Pop.

Dedmon made a difference defensively and on the glass that allowed the Spurs to play big.

Obviously, Simmons was the story in a lot of ways, but the bench as a group has a chance to be explosive again. They brought poise and energy to that game and closed the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters on runs that: 1st Q 13-2 over last 2:58, 2nd Q 12-2 over last 2:08, 3rd Q 10-6 over last 2:06. Those runs were a combined 35-10 over 7 closing minutes in those quarters, and basically were the final margin. If they can get scoring from some combination of Simmons, Mills, and Lee in that second group, and can allow Manu to be a facilitator primarily who scores when needed rather than a principal scorer, they can be formidable.

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Yeah, Pop was legit last night. Didn't hesitate to pull the plug on Gasol when he started leaking. Very crucial timeouts. The bench basically got the spurs the 11 point lead in the first quarter. Simmons, Manu, Patty and Lee really got the offense going.

Really loved the contrast in style between the bench and the starters.

rjv
10-26-2016, 09:24 AM
one more grade:

spurstalk self-proclaimed "experts": F

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2016, 09:26 AM
That was the most passionate and determined Pop I've seen in years in a RS game, tbh..a little surprised he gave a fuck so early in the season, although it makes sense from a mental standpoint..punching that soft team in the mouth probably sent a message..

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm positive the Dubs are considering trading Livingston or Iggy..Mlst likely the later because of his contract. Their rebounding has failed them the last 4 games....they just dont have any rebounding.

rjv
10-26-2016, 09:29 AM
i did agree with the take on simmons. he's just one of those guys who excels more in real games rather than in less meaningful situations. he seems to react better to more seemingly adverse situations.

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Pretty clear now how important Bogut was defensively and offensively. Bogut and Ezeli really allowed the 4 other players in the court to just focus on running in transition and those damn offball screens he would set for Curry and Thompson was key.

I'm glad Golden State is stuck with West..:lol

rjv
10-26-2016, 09:32 AM
Pretty clear now how important Bogut was defensively and offensively. Bogut and Ezeli really allowed the 4 other players in the court to just focus on running in transition and those damn offball screens he would set for Curry and Thompson was key.

I'm glad Golden State is stuck with West..:lol

he had one nice dunk and was a non-factor the rest of the night. spurs even seemed to know how to exploit his weaknesses.

bklynspursfan
10-26-2016, 09:33 AM

Cause he'll have a specified role with us. Pop will get the most out of him. We had no one like him last year, just a hard worker and hustling big guy, who runs the court well and can handle the ball

picnroll
10-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Nice write up. Thanks. Dedmon is beginning to show promise in the role they need him to play. I thought Anderson did a pretty good job on D. Wonder if he'll ever get less passive on O.

FromWayDowntown
10-26-2016, 09:47 AM
At the end of the day, the most important thing about winning Game 1 might end up being that the Spurs now have something that most of their competition in the West seedings won't have -- a win AT Oracle.

That's basically a one game advantage in the standings if you assume that most everyone else in the West is likely to take the 0-2 collar out of their trips to GST.

raybies
10-26-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm positive the Dubs are considering trading Livingston or Iggy..Mlst likely the later because of his contract. Their rebounding has failed them the last 4 games....they just dont have any rebounding.

Yeah pretty much only assets they have right now. AI is really a luxury at this point and you can make a case that he's redundant. Need a rim protector, who could they get at his price, and I doubt his value is that high.

Chinook
10-26-2016, 09:54 AM
I thought Pop deserves some credit for recognizing that Pau is going to be a bit Duncan-esque in matchups with Golden State, most likely. I think Pau's going to be fine in a lot of other circumstances, but that matchup with GST is just a really bad one for old school bigs who don't really feel comfortable athletically in space. Recognizing that and not just trying to acclimate Pau through forcing minutes in that matchup was a good call by Pop.

Nah, you gotta play Pau so that teams don't focus on LMA. It's very hard to guard LMA with size if that means Draymond on Pau, because Gasol's skill level is just too high for that high mismatch. And whn you have West or Varejao in there instead of Zaza, forget about it. Pau was horrendous defensively, but unlike Tim, he's a necessary piece to this puzzle.

emmo
10-26-2016, 09:57 AM
When do we get TiMVP game grades again?

xellos88330
10-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the grades.

I expected a Spurs win (I never root against the Spurs unless I am drunk and depressed), but was pleasantly surprised by what transpired sans Green and Gasol being taken advantage of on defense.

The biggest thing that I can take away from this game is that I am not ready to count on Simmons bringing that kind of performance every game. I hope he makes me eat crow every game. Hell, I will wear a crow costume to every game if he keeps it up. I do believe that Bertans and Forbes could be very key late in the season. Those two guys could bring a heck of a lot more firepower and provide more wrinkles to the Spurs offense than most of the league may realize.

The Spurs have only scratched the surface with their potential. I am just glad it didn't take half of a season to start realizing it.

BackHome
10-26-2016, 10:38 AM

Dude same fucking thing you could say about Mills and Simmons and now Lee what's your point?

BackHome
10-26-2016, 10:41 AM
one more grade:

spurstalk self-proclaimed "experts": F

+1

houston spurs fan
10-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Stopped reading after "two legit Dark Skinned black dudes"

Spur|n|Austin
10-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Solid write up, thanks apo!

SPURt
10-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Dude same fucking thing you could say about Mills and Simmons and now Lee what's your point?
You can add Green to that list as well

spurs10
10-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the grades! I wonder when Danny returns if Simmons will still get to play with Manu and the bench. They were a real lift.

wildcardX
10-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Good write up, thanks apa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTL1j2EA0Qs

phxspurfan
10-26-2016, 11:47 AM
An inspired performance for game 1/82

BackHome
10-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Hey The Journey Begins With The First Step!!!!!!!!!!!

ElNono
10-26-2016, 01:26 PM
thanks OP

Dex
10-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Good review apa.

I'm ready to chow down on some crow regarding Simmons. I thought he looked awful in the preseason and was ready to pull the plug. He might not have another performance like this all season, but he chose a damn good time to wreck shop. If he can be a contributor off the bench and play half as well as he did tonight, he will be a huge asset.

gambit1990
10-26-2016, 01:39 PM
i'm hoping parker's role will get limited, he begins to feel marginalized... then asks for a trade.

Arcadian
10-26-2016, 03:29 PM
He dunked on some dude with 2 minutes left and up by 25+

Actually he did it with 6 seconds left, and he had the green light because the shot clock was expiring. And it was a fucking awesome way to punctuate a dominating performance.

apalisoc_9
10-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Actually he did it with 6 seconds left, and he had the green light because the shot clock was expiring. And it was a fucking awesome way to punctuate a dominating performance.

Probably should have said under 2..:lol

BD24
10-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Loved the play where Kawhi got West switched onto him and drilled a mid range shot right in his face.

I feel that one was a bit personal.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Good review apa.

I'm ready to chow down on some crow regarding Simmons. I thought he looked awful in the preseason and was ready to pull the plug. He might not have another performance like this all season, but he chose a damn good time to wreck shop. If he can be a contributor off the bench and play half as well as he did tonight, he will be a huge asset.

Any reasonable person with eyes and a brain thought he looked awful in the preseason, but nobody was rooting for him to fail. He's not Kyle Anderson or Tony Parker, after all.

NameLess Scrub
10-26-2016, 04:19 PM

It's kind of a schtick.

FaM0us Skins
10-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Let's play good every game and have a healthy season

spurs10
10-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Let's play good every game and have a healthy season Well it's hard to argue with that! :toast

TheDoctor
10-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the Grades OP