PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Duncan decries dress code

Kori Ellis
10-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan decries dress code
Web Posted: 10/07/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100705.9D.BKNspurs.duncan.1ce2b885.html

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands — NBA commissioner David Stern shouldn't expect any support from Tim Duncan on the league's proposed dress code.

Stern reportedly is considering implementing a dress code that would require players and team officials to wear a suit and tie when traveling, including when they enter and leave the arena for games. Players who don't comply could be fined.

Duncan usually wears nice jeans and an untucked long-sleeved dress shirt or T-shirt to Spurs games.

"I think it will be very disappointing," Duncan said. "Nobody has asked me anything about it, but I think everybody knows my opinion."

Duncan was asked if he planned to buy a suit and tie in anticipation of the new policy.

"No," he said. "I don't wear shirts and ties."

Nick Van Exel routinely wears suits to games but also doesn't support the policy.

"I don't think you should make a guy dress a certain way because that's the way you want him to dress," Van Exel said. "He's supposed to perform on the court, and if he does that, he should be fine.

"But it's the NBA. They make up a lot of rules we have no control over."

Van Exel said players shouldn't be faulted for wanting to dress more casually.

"I would like to see Dirk Nowitzki wear a suit or Steve Nash or Tim Duncan," he said, laughing. "There are some guys who just don't dress like that, and it's not fair to them."

Full house: The Spurs will hold an open scrimmage tonight at the University of Virgin Islands' Sports and Fitness Center.

The arena holds a little more than 2,500 fans. Tickets for the game are sold out.

About 800 fans are taking a boat from St. Croix, the neighboring island where Duncan was born, to the game.

Bomb scare: A bomb threat in St. Croix on Thursday caused university officials and local police to beef up campus security for the Spurs. One security officer said the threat was believed to be unrelated to the team.

Here comes the sun: The players were happy to see the weather improve considerably Thursday. The team had seen only rain since arriving Monday.

DesiSpur_21
10-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Timmy for President!!

reader
10-07-2005, 12:48 AM
The headline is a bit sensationalistic. All Timmy said is that he would be disappointed, that does not sound as though he was having a hissy fit over it.

de·cry Pronunciation Key (d-kr)
tr.v. de·cried, de·cry·ing, de·cries

1. To condemn openly.
2. To depreciate (currency, for example) by official proclamation or by rumor.

Kori Ellis
10-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Maybe this part is what makes it decry (condemn openly)? But yeah, it might be a little sensational.

Duncan was asked if he planned to buy a suit and tie in anticipation of the new policy.

spursfaninla
10-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Duncan says he straight up will not comply?

I doubt Stern will back down, he isn't one to do that, so Duncan will either fall in line or start paying out every game.

I have a feeling Duncan will be getting a wardrobe upgrade before too long.

lilmads
10-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Weather was much better on Thursday...
It's been raining constantly...
Hopefully today will be all sunshine:)

Summers
10-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Duncan says he straight up will not comply?

I doubt Stern will back down, he isn't one to do that, so Duncan will either fall in line or start paying out every game.

I have a feeling Duncan will be getting a wardrobe upgrade before too long.

That's not at all what he said.

milkyway21
10-07-2005, 01:24 AM

What this really means? that he'd rather be fined than wear one? :rolleyes

Zan the Fan
10-07-2005, 01:45 AM
The several rich men who are complaining about how unfair this rule is can all go screw themselves. Go try and get a job where you have to wear a hard hat to work as part of the dress code then complain about how rough you have it.

I'm sorry, but I really have no sympathy for these guys, Tim included. They aren't being asked to wear team gear or NBA logos. They get to CHOOSE what they wear. It's like a graduation ceremony. Don't want to wear cap and gown? Fine, don't get your diploma. Don't want to look like a professional? Fine, don't get (over)paid like one.

:duck

Mr. Body
10-07-2005, 01:57 AM
The several rich men who are complaining about how unfair this rule is can all go screw themselves. Go try and get a job where you have to wear a hard hat to work as part of the dress code then complain about how rough you have it.

Overreaction of the week.

Plus, I think Ludden used 'decry' because of the alliteration with 'dress code'. Journalists often do that stuff.

Tek_XX
10-07-2005, 02:02 AM
I think Duncan should be allowed to wear whatever he wants but it would be nice to see Duncan stylin' before the game.

Kori Ellis
10-07-2005, 02:18 AM
What's weird about this Ludden article is that it says "suit and tie". Every other article on it has said sport coat and no jeans (but not tie). I know it's a small thing, but to some a tie is a big difference.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Duncan wearing a suit, rofl

i'd put that pic in my sig if it werent so....commercial..

Mr. Body
10-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Stern did this to drum up sales for Kevin Willis. He sells suits to NBAers, you know.

polandprzem
10-07-2005, 03:29 AM
So Now Tell Me Who Was Right ?

gospursgojas
10-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Stern did this to drum up sales for Kevin Willis. He sells suits to NBAers, you know.

I would think that would be the only reason Tim would consider wearing one....but I think he will take the fine on a the first few occurrences and then the NBA will just let him slide, sort of like Mike and the #23.

Regardless or what happens though I hope what street clothes Timmy is wearing while on the bench isnt a issue...I mean theres one big reason why we would see that this season and I dont even like to think about it :oops

Dre_7
10-07-2005, 03:35 AM
That Duncan. Always causing problems. What a bad charcter guy for the NBA. If only he wore a suit and tie, then his character would be much better!

gospursgojas
10-07-2005, 03:37 AM
That Duncan. Always causing problems. What a bad charcter guy for the NBA. If only he wore a suit and tie, then his character would be much better!

haha exactly... I mean when I see Ron Arrtest in a suit I think what a great guy...and when I see Tim bummed out in jeans and a T, I think if only Tim could be more like Ron :rolleyes

polandprzem
10-07-2005, 03:42 AM
Duncan = Trouble

angel_luv
10-07-2005, 04:18 AM
"I think it will be very disappointing," Duncan said. "Nobody has asked me anything about it, but I think everybody knows my opinion."

That's not entirely true.
Timmy was asked if he knew where he was going to go to buy shirts and ties, not if he intended to.

I saw Timmy make the above statements on WOAI Sports last night.

I thought Timmy's " I don't wear shirts and ties." was more of statement of playful resignation that anything else.
(There just something about his tone and the look on his face. You guys know Timmy's humor.)

While it is obvious that Timmy isn't digging the whole dress up thing, he was never ugly or defiant about it.

gospursgojas
10-07-2005, 04:22 AM
I saw him wag his finger and say "umm hmm not uhh I dont think so....if they dont know they better aks somebody"

angel_luv
10-07-2005, 04:39 AM
That's not entirely true.
Timmy was asked if he knew where he was going to go to buy shirts and ties, not if he intended to.

I saw Timmy make the above statements on WOAI Sports last night.

I thought Timmy's " I don't wear shirts and ties." was more of statement of playful resignation that anything else.
(There just something about his tone and the look on his face. You guys know Timmy's humor.)

While it is obvious that Timmy isn't digging the whole dress up thing, he was never ugly or defiant about it.

Watch this. See what I mean:

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/[email protected],158185@ video.woai.com,[email protected],157410@video. woai.com,[email protected],[email protected] om,[email protected],[email protected],150 [email protected],[email protected]&navCatId=15&2=2

It is the interview where Timmy talks about the dress code.

maxpower
10-07-2005, 05:55 AM
These are the faces of a multibillion dollar global corporation. They are paid tens of millions a year by the corporation. It is not too much to ask they represent their employer in a professional way if at least at the beginning and end of their workdays.

It is so sad how much for granted they take the blessings they have been given.

For 10 million dollars a year 99% of the people in this country would do a jig in and out of their work every single day.

smeagol
10-07-2005, 07:33 AM
What's so bad about wearing a suit?

ambchang
10-07-2005, 07:42 AM

I'm sorry, but I really have no sympathy for these guys, Tim included. They aren't being asked to wear team gear or NBA logos. They get to CHOOSE what they wear. It's like a graduation ceremony. Don't want to wear cap and gown? Fine, don't get your diploma. Don't want to look like a professional? Fine, don't get (over)paid like one.

As much as you hate it, there ARE jobs that does not require dress code, and to suddenly expect them to wear a certain way to "look professional" (what the hell does that mean anyways, LOOK professional? Shouldn't they ACT professional?), while accomplishing nothing at all is just foolish.
As a salesman (or any white collar job), people dress to win business. This is stupid in the first place, because I don't get why businessmen judge other's professionalism and abilities based on the price of the suit, but it DOES get them new business.
A hard hat at a construction site protects the worker from harm.
What does a suit for an NBA player on a plane accomplish? Nothing. Have you ever seen Meg Whitman dress? She gets paid millions by eBay, so why she not HAVE to dress up and still be paid as a professional?
The only possible reason I can think of is Stern think that they can dress up the players to make them more presentable to the corporate types, where they think a Canali suit will enhance the abilities of a basketball player, and then dish out hundreds of thousands of $ to see the same players play basketball play in shorts and jerseys.

maxpower
10-07-2005, 08:09 AM
regardless of how things have been done in the past..if the boss wants their employees to represent the company in a certain way, that is his right.

I fail to understand what principle the players use to justify their stand against professional dress.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Given Tim's history of violence I think someone is going to get shot over this whole issue. I remain baffled by Stern's decision. I know it's his job to protect the league and try to make it as popular as possible but I don't see how this really does either. I have never heard anyone say (nor could I logically conceive of someone saying) something like, "I'm a big basketball fan, but I hate the way these guys dress off the court, so I won't watch the NBA." or "I've been an NBA fan for years, but I can't stand the way they look in the interviews."

But Maxpower is right, if Stern wants to do this there's really nothing the players can do. I don't foresee a 2005-06 strike over neckties.

Zan the Fan
10-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Have you ever seen Meg Whitman dress? She gets paid millions by eBay, so why she not HAVE to dress up and still be paid as a professional?
Apples and oranges and I really shouldn't have to explain why but I will try to in short.

These guys are the most visible and recognizable athletes (outside of golfers perhaps) in the world. They are the faces of their cities, their teams, and their league. Playing in the NBA is by no means a right, so if they don't want to play by the rules, so be it. Who do you think will be around longer, the NBA or Tim Duncan? This is a no-win situation for the guys who are bitching about it so they ought to just suck it up and be company men.

If there was an outcry from NBA coaches about not wanting to wear suits would there really be this much support on boards like this???? Imagine if Don Nelson said he wanted to wear a wife-beater and cargo shorts on the sideline. Methinks people would feel towards the coaches the same way that I (and several sane folks) feel towards the players.

angel_luv
10-07-2005, 08:59 AM
I've been torn on this decision which is very silly of me. After all, none of the powers that be are going to take my opinion into consideration.

Originally, I didn't like the idea because I didn't want any of my Spurs to be uncomfortable or inconvenienced.
After Timmy's interview yesterday I am back to that place.

Hi my name is Angel! I cannot be impartial. = )

ShoogarBear
10-07-2005, 09:20 AM
OKAY FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME: WHY THE FOOOK DON'T ANY OF YOU CORPORATE SLAGS HARP ON MARK CUBAN FOR THE WAY HE DRESSES?

Anyone who says Duncan has to wear a suit, and Cuban and Holt don't, is a flat-out hypocrite, plain and simple.

SWC Bonfire
10-07-2005, 09:25 AM
OKAY FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME: WHY THE FOOOK DON'T ANY OF YOU CORPORATE SLAGS HARP ON MARK CUBAN FOR THE WAY HE DRESSES?

Anyone who says Duncan has to wear a suit, and Cuban and Holt don't, is a flat-out hypocrite, plain and simple.

Mark Cuban is the undeniable argument FOR a dress code. He is childish and impressionable. :lol

nkdlunch
10-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I think Stern stumbled into this page: http://www.dba-oracle.com/dress_code.htm

this control-freak's rule won't last long...

2pac
10-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I think Duncan should show up for opening night in a tux.

Rick Von Braun
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
I think Stern stumbled into this page: http://www.dba-oracle.com/dress_code.htm

this control-freak's rule won't last long...
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Spurminator
10-07-2005, 09:58 AM
What's so bad about wearing a suit?

What's so great about it?

mookie2001
10-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Duncan wearing a suit, rofl

i'd put that pic in my sig if it werent so....commercial..
no fucking joke

angel_luv
10-07-2005, 10:04 AM

Or maybe this:

http://tinypic.com/ease4h.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Spurminator
10-07-2005, 10:06 AM
These guys are the most visible and recognizable athletes (outside of golfers perhaps) in the world. They are the faces of their cities, their teams, and their league. Playing in the NBA is by no means a right, so if they don't want to play by the rules, so be it. Who do you think will be around longer, the NBA or Tim Duncan? This is a no-win situation for the guys who are bitching about it so they ought to just suck it up and be company men.

In other words, people should accept new rules by their superiors without any objection or discussion as long as they have a good salary. And if they do not accept those new rules, they should just quit without first voicing their feelings on the matter.

ambchang
10-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Apples and oranges and I really shouldn't have to explain why but I will try to in short.

If there was an outcry from NBA coaches about not wanting to wear suits would there really be this much support on boards like this???? Imagine if Don Nelson said he wanted to wear a wife-beater and cargo shorts on the sideline. Methinks people would feel towards the coaches the same way that I (and several sane folks) feel towards the players.

All fine and good, but why would this NOT apply to Meg Whitman? She's the CEO of the company, and CEOs are employees. She represents the company, she's the face of the company, and eBay is probably going to go on w/o her.
Sure, having dress code is an employers right, but this move defies logic, why would a bunch of atheletes dressed in suits on a plane be good for the sport? Technically, these players are at work during games and practices, perhaps during press conferences as well, but they are not at work travelling to and from the facilities. It's like my boss asking me to dress up on the train to work, it absurd.
And frankly, I have no problem seeing coaches in casual attire. I fail to see how you dressing in a suit will make a coach that much more intelligent.

ShoogarBear
10-07-2005, 10:57 AM
What hilarious about all this is that Mike Nolan (49ers coach) wanted to wear a suit on the sidelines this year, a la George Halas, Vince Lombardi, Hank Stram. You know, those losers.

The NFL wouldn't let him. Said all coaches are required to wear those ugly NFL merchandising shirts/sweaters.

Notorious H.O.P.
10-07-2005, 12:12 PM

I'm down with that. And it should be an ill-fitting, old, red crushed velvet one from the seventies that is way too short in the arms and legs. And a silver and black rose on his lapel.

infinite styles
10-07-2005, 12:49 PM
These are the faces of a multibillion dollar global corporation. They are paid tens of millions a year by the corporation. It is not too much to ask they represent their employer in a professional way if at least at the beginning and end of their workdays.

It is so sad how much for granted they take the blessings they have been given.

For 10 million dollars a year 99% of the people in this country would do a jig in and out of their work every single day.

You hit the nail on the head with part of your statement. Your right these guys get paid tons of money but most of it is because they have individual style and personalities. Albeit Tim's personality is more of an acquired taste he still gets paid for it. Shoe, clothing and accessory deals rule an athlete's life so when your employer (who coincedentally makes a ton of money off of his employees personality and style) says that you are to change all of this to add a little "class" to the job wouldn't you be a little defiant. Anyways the point is players make money for showcasing and presenting the companies that endorse them, such as: Nike, Adidas, RBK, etc.... and they want to not only protect what they have coming in but also keep the style and personality they have.

My opinion is that if this goes through then Nike and Adidas and RBK will begin producing exclusive "high class" clothing for their athletes that will be eventually mass produced for the public and billions and billions of dollars will be spent to acquire the new Tim Duncan sport coat line.
:smokin :drunk

ObiwanGinobili
10-07-2005, 01:15 PM
regardless of how things have been done in the past..if the boss wants their employees to represent the company in a certain way, that is his right.

I fail to understand what principle the players use to justify their stand against professional dress.

thank you.
to me it's that simple.
the boss tells me to dress a certain way and I do.

this whole thing is starting to sound like middle school kids gettign mad about mandatory kakhis and polos....

Solid D
10-07-2005, 01:20 PM
It would serve Stern right for requesting "business casual" or "sport coat and slacks" if people responded old school i.e. (photos)

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3764600_36_2.jpg http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/LarryBrownMoeBenchYell.jpg

my2sons
10-07-2005, 01:46 PM

so do you have a problem with tim answering a question. he didn't blow it out of proportion and didn't pitch a fit. all the rule says is players will be fined for non compliance. do you have a problem if he pays the fine and doesn't comply.

Spurminator
10-07-2005, 01:47 PM
The players just need to shut up and cave in to social misperceptions like their richer, more spoiled owners want them to.

nkdlunch
10-07-2005, 01:50 PM
The players just need to shut up and cave in to social misperceptions like their richer, more spoiled owners want them to.

Nope, that's why they got a Players Association and stuff. If all employees did what u suggest, we'd have no rights at work!

Guru of Nothing
10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
So, is this outfit acceptable under the new NBA guidelines for players?

http://www.nbizz.com/pamswann/listings/225.jpg

MiNuS
10-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Nope, that's why they got a Players Association and stuff. If all employees did what u suggest, we'd have no rights at work!No rights at work?? As far as I am concerned who ever makes the checks makes the rules.

Last time I knew the NBA still remains the owner and the players are the employees.

Solid D
10-07-2005, 01:57 PM
So, is this outfit acceptable under the new NBA guidelines for players?

http://www.nbizz.com/pamswann/listings/225.jpg

That's what I am talkin' about, right there!!!

Rogbok
10-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I do not agree with the dress code because it does not really fit the profession. This is about as bad as the construction company telling their employees they have to come to work in suits, then change out into construction gear and then change back into suits before leaving so that they will look professional.

Now, it is right that all employers have the right to do this and it is also right that all employees have the right to voice their unhappiness with the decissions.

dbreiden83080
10-07-2005, 03:53 PM
For a guy who loves being out of the spotlight this would be really a dumb way to have it shine on you. Tim is not a guy who rocks the boat, if this passes he will comply. The Yankees have a policy of wearing suits on the road and short hair with very little facial hair. Plenty of players have come to the yankees and had to conform to that like Giambi and Randy Johnson, Timmy will be no different with this NBA rule. He has to know if he fights this he will look like a crybaby.

polandprzem
10-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Look professional? What does that realy mean.

This is not a company - IT IS SPORT

Stern must think it is his company and he telling everybody what to do - it is not!

And I wonder how many players was involved in those negotiations

Kori Ellis
10-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Stern must think it is his company and he telling everybody what to do - it is not!

And I wonder how many players was involved in those negotiations

Well Stern isn't just telling them what to do. This is apparently something that was agreed upon by the NBA, owners, and player's association in the CBA discussions.

And it doesn't matter how many players were involved. Each team has a player representative for the player's association meetings. That's how the system works.

CosmicCowboy
10-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Well Stern isn't just telling them what to do. This is apparently something that was agreed upon by the NBA, owners, and player's association in the CBA discussions.

And it doesn't matter how many players were involved. Each team has a player representative for the player's association meetings. That's how the system works.

Wasn't Bruce Bowen the Spurs rep? He is a sharp dresser and usually wears suits anyway...He was probably laughing his ass off thinking of the joke on Tim when he was approving that one...:lol

Kori Ellis
10-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Yes Bowen is the Spurs rep.

CosmicCowboy
10-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes Bowen is the Spurs rep.

hehehe the ultimate practical joke...Tim will have a hard time topping that one...

Solid D
10-07-2005, 05:02 PM
The first thing I think of when I see this exhuberent OT moment photo is how distracting and unprofessional Timmy looks. :rolleyes

http://www.spursinfo.com/photos/spurs/050409/050409_8.jpg

Horry For 3!
10-07-2005, 06:34 PM
It is pretty stupid, the players should be able to wear what they want if its not all shitty.

baseline bum
10-07-2005, 06:36 PM
I think Sue Bird should protest this by attending every game naked.

SequSpur
10-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I think wasting energy on this is bullshit when Marines are dying for no reason in Iraq, gas is almost $3 a gallon, Healthcare is going down, and people in Louisiana and Mississippi are displaced.

All these commissioners are full of shit.

Solid D
10-07-2005, 06:52 PM
You know what they say....clothes make the man.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/media/home_page/our_company/our_company_images/ourcompany-main-page_v3_m56577569830498313.jpg

I Guarantee It!!!

John T
10-08-2005, 01:52 AM
I have a question. Do you think this will change the way people view the players, and therefore the league? Why or why not?

Carie

Obstructed_View
10-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Duncan is the best player in the NBA, and as good a person as there is in the league. They took the man's iPod away for no good reason, and now they want to change the way he dresses. While Imight disagree about the dress code, he certainly has cause to tell them to stick it up their ass. Nobody and I mean nobody presents a better public image to the NBA than Duncan, and it seems like they keep fucking with him.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2005, 02:17 AM
I think wasting energy on this is bullshit when Marines are dying for no reason in Iraq, gas is almost $3 a gallon, Healthcare is going down, and people in Louisiana and Mississippi are displaced.

All these commissioners are full of shit.
Please don't bring up politics in a sports discussion. If you think the above is a waste of energy, then what are you doing on a message board?

dbreiden83080
10-08-2005, 02:43 AM
Duncan is way too smart to take this policy on if it passes. He is not going to put himself in a position where he is getting fined by the league and getting all sorts of bad press over this. The last thing anyone wants to hear is a guy making 20 mil a year to play pro-basketball has a serious issue with being told to dress professional before he comes to the arena, Tim knows this and when push comes to shove he will comply.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Duncan is way too smart to take this policy on if it passes. He is not going to put himself in a position where he is getting fined by the league and getting all sorts of bad press over this. The last thing anyone wants to hear is a guy making 20 mil a year to play pro-basketball has a serious issue with being told to dress professional before he comes to the arena, Tim knows this and when push comes to shove he will comply.
The last thing the NBA wants is to have to fine Tim Duncan because of the way he dresses. He's never dressed unprofessionally, and he's never been a discipline problem. If he takes on the NBA on this, he'll probably win.

dbreiden83080
10-08-2005, 01:30 PM
If Stern is serious about this he is not going to let anyone slide on it, that includes Duncan. Which is why Timmy will not take it on and just comply with the rule in public and probably just bitch about it in private.

polandprzem
10-08-2005, 01:48 PM

I know the rules but
do you think all the representatives were on that meeting?

We don't know all the details
The idea came up from Stern and maybe from some of the owners (?)

maybe it was not an agreement - maybe they were voting (?)

Or palyers got something for taking that deal (?)

And the thing is that many representatives ( I don't know them and I do not want to look for that info) are the guys in suitstyle :) :fro

all in all I don't like it

conversekid
10-08-2005, 02:52 PM
They play basketball for crying out loud... they aren't business execs... they're dress code is jersey and shorts on the court... that's all the nba should be allowed to dictate...

polandprzem
10-08-2005, 03:56 PM
They play basketball for crying out loud... they aren't business execs... they're dress code is jersey and shorts on the court... that's all the nba should be allowed to dictate...
That was my thought also :tu

dbreiden83080
10-08-2005, 09:46 PM
There are individual teams that dictate this as well, The hawks coach mike woodson said he was planning on requiring his players to wear coats and slacks to and from games and when they are not playing next year anyway. The yankees not only require you to wear a full suit and tie on all road trips but your hair can only be a certain length and you are not allowed to have beards of any kind, just clean shaven or a neatly trimmed mustache.

ORION
10-08-2005, 09:54 PM
thats nuts ! they should just limit the amount of tats some of their players have. I can understand a coach having to dress up but not the players. personally I can't stand ties.