PDA

View Full Version : On FoxSports - Why the Warriors' blowout loss to the Spurs should concern GS

cariocaz
10-26-2016, 07:21 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/golden-warriors-san-antonio-spurs-game-nba-recap-why-blowout-highlights-video-kevin-durant-oklahoma-city-thunder-102616

GSH
10-26-2016, 08:24 PM
The Spurs shot 12-24 from the 3P line, and 23-26 from the FT line.
GSW shot 7-33 from the 3P line, and 13-18 from the FT line.
There's your game. I wouldn't try to write the script for a whole season over it.

There's still no question about the amount of talent on the Warriors' roster this year. But only jackass TV commentators thought that they could make that many changes in their lineup, and come out of the gate clicking like they did last season. The big story, IMO, is that Kawhi appears to have taken a step up, to the point of being a true contender for league MVP.

tonight...you
10-26-2016, 08:27 PM
There's your game. I wouldn't try to write the script for a whole season over it.

There's still no question about the amount of talent on the Warriors' roster this year. But only jackass TV commentators thought that they could make that many changes in their lineup, and come out of the gate clicking like they did last season. The big story, IMO, is that Kawhi appears to have taken a step up, to the point of being a true contender for league MVP.

Not to step on dem toes, but he was 2nd in MVP voting last year. He also happened to win the DPOY for the 2nd consecutive year.
Who was a closer contender, besides the winner, than him?
How is this guy still getting underrated? By his team's own fans?

GSH
10-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Not to step on dem toes, but he was 2nd in MVP voting last year. He also happened to win the DPOY for the 2nd consecutive year.

My toes are fine. I don't mind a difference of opinion.

I don't think there was much doubt last year about Curry being the MVP (at least in the regular season). Coming in second doesn't mean you're a contender, if there's no doubt who is number 1. Personally, I don't think Kawhi was a better player than LeBron last season, regardless of how the voting came out. I know that will probably start a shitstorm here, but I'm far from alone in thinking it.

The Kawhi we saw last night was clearly a new, improved version compared to last year. Before, he might have been on the MVP list, but everyone knew that he wasn't going to win it. If he can keep playing at this level, there's no doubt that he could actually win the award this year, and not just get honorable mention.

BTW - I don't under-rate him at all. I try to be objective, as best as I can. Curry was a fucking force of nature last year, on a team that won 73 games. When he tossed shots from the other end of the court, everyone held their breath - he was that much in the zone. Recognizing that isn't under-rating Kawhi. Curry may have shot the ball better than any player ever has. Kawhi was/is the best defender in the league, and now he has closed the gap on the offensive end. Kawhi is definitely the best two-way player, IMO. Unless Curry gets back to the way he shot the ball last year, Kawhi could actually be better on the offensive end.

tonight...you
10-26-2016, 08:50 PM
My toes are fine. I don't mind a difference of opinion.

I don't think there was much doubt last year about Curry being the MVP (at least in the regular season). Coming in second doesn't mean you're a contender, if there's no doubt who is number 1. Personally, I don't think Kawhi was a better player than LeBron last season, regardless of how the voting came out. I know that will probably start a shitstorm here, but I'm far from alone in thinking it.

The Kawhi we saw last night was clearly a new, improved version compared to last year. Before, he might have been on the list, but everyone knew that he wasn't going to be selected as MVP. If he can keep playing at this level, there's no doubt that he could actually win the award, and not just get honorable mention.

BTW - I don't under-rate him at all. I try to be objective, as best as I can. Curry was a fucking force of nature last year, on a team that won 73 games. When he tossed shots from the other end of the court, everyone held their breath - he was that much in the zone. Recognizing that isn't under-rating Kawhi. Curry may have shot the ball better than any player ever has. Kawhi was/is the best defender in the league, and now he has closed the gap on the offensive end. Kawhi is definitely the best two-way player, IMO. Unless Curry gets back to the way he shot the ball last year, Kawhi could actually be better on the offensive end.

Well put. I'm standing here, alone and naked, in my total agreement of you. Thank you for the well thought response.

phxspurfan
10-26-2016, 09:33 PM
The big story, IMO, is that Kawhi appears to have taken a step up, to the point of being a true contender for league MVP.

According the the BBallBreakdown video, he trained with Kobe over the summer. If so, RIP NBA

gilmor
10-26-2016, 10:26 PM
I'd like to see Kwahi win the MVP this year..

Mr. Body
10-26-2016, 10:32 PM

We made as many changes to our line-up as they did and we still stuck them by 29 at their home.

GSH
10-26-2016, 10:51 PM
We made as many changes to our line-up as they did and we still stuck them by 29 at their home.

Most of the commentators talked like the addition of Durant would make them better, right out of the gate - which was stupid. They made a bunch of roster changes just so that they could make room for Durant. So not exactly strategic, just what they had to do to add another max player. I mentioned it in the other thread, but the Spurs made roster decisions specifically around matching up with Golden State. That's the way I see it anyway.

The 29 point win was fun, but that big margin mostly had to do with shots falling for the Spurs and not falling for the Warriors. The difference is that last year, even when the Warriors had a bad night, teams were lucky to squeak out a win against them. Most of the time, they would catch fire in the fourth and find a way to win. So, yeah, I think GS's roster changes hurt them more than the Spurs' did. Maybe it's a different story by the end of the season.

sasaint
10-26-2016, 11:03 PM
I'd like to see Kwahi win the MVP this year..

I'd like to see the Spurs ring.

moisaenz
10-26-2016, 11:38 PM
I am sure Kawhi feels that leading a post duncan SA squad to a title is better than getting MVP.

james evans
10-26-2016, 11:45 PM
because these guys are player fans. you didn't know?

sasaint
10-26-2016, 11:46 PM
I am sure Kawhi feels that leading a post duncan SA squad to a title is better than getting MVP.

Absolutely! :tu

r0drig0lac
10-27-2016, 07:11 AM
good

Fireball
10-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Kawhi got calls ... this makes a huge difference to last year

Maddog
10-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Most of the commentators talked like the addition of Durant would make them better, right out of the gate - which was stupid. They made a bunch of roster changes just so that they could make room for Durant. So not exactly strategic, just what they had to do to add another max player. I mentioned it in the other thread, but the Spurs made roster decisions specifically around matching up with Golden State. That's the way I see it anyway.

The 29 point win was fun, but that big margin mostly had to do with shots falling for the Spurs and not falling for the Warriors. The difference is that last year, even when the Warriors had a bad night, teams were lucky to squeak out a win against them. Most of the time, they would catch fire in the fourth and find a way to win. So, yeah, I think GS's roster changes hurt them more than the Spurs' did. Maybe it's a different story by the end of the season.

I agree, a 29 point loss at home is almost always a fluke to some extent.
Last year the Spurs did not match up well with GS. This year with the changes both teams have made, I think has narrowed the margin. With the size the Spurs have brought in and the skilled size GS lost gives the Spurs an area to exploit. Also GS bench, while not great last year, is worse. Will GS figure out a way to compensate. Probably to some extent.
My take home-before the game I had doubts the Spurs had a non injury shot at beating GS. I no longer think that.

lefty
10-27-2016, 08:09 AM
lol premature ejaculation aricle

Chinook
10-27-2016, 08:11 AM
lol premature ejaculation aricle

If you don't hurry up, you're gonna find yourself with a mouthful of biscuit.

lefty
10-27-2016, 08:24 AM
If you don't hurry up, you're gonna find yourself with a mouthful of biscuit.

lol biscuits

Uriel
10-27-2016, 08:29 AM
The writer predicted the Spurs would again be at the 65-win mark this year, which I strongly disagree with. While the first game was definitely an encouraging development, it's still far too soon to make any far-reaching conclusions about the team or how the regular season will play out.

I think 55-60 wins is a far more realistic outlook.

BillMc
10-27-2016, 08:30 AM
Kawhi got calls ... this makes a huge difference to last year

Yep. Good sign.

NameLess Scrub
10-27-2016, 09:15 AM
I'd like to see the Spurs ring.

:toast

This I hope is always true. I don't want him to lose focus or work too hard chasing the MVP.

According the the BBallBreakdown video, he trained with Kobe over the summer. If so, RIP NBA

Hopefully he took the good of Kobe and not the bad.

Can't wait to see how the team looks tonight.

Gametight
10-27-2016, 09:39 AM

That might answer why I seen a number of Kobe-esque pump fakes from Kawhi on Tuesday night that I haven't seen before.

Horse
10-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Spurs aside the warriors can't rebound or play D, I don't see that changing unless they make a move. As far as the Spurs I see a hungry team tired of hearing about the fucking superteam and maybe even wanting to prove they can win without Timmy.

sasaint
10-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Spurs aside the warriors can't rebound or play D, I don't see that changing unless they make a move. As far as the Spurs I see a hungry team tired of hearing about the fucking superteam and maybe even wanting to prove they can win without Timmy.

Yep. Good takes. :tu

kxs783kms
10-27-2016, 07:07 PM
I don't care how well they may gel later in the season or how many 3's they missed. If they don't find a way to get some rim protection and real defensive presence in the paint, then we will beat them every time. They had absolutely no rebounding or way to stop us in the paint.

phxspurfan
10-27-2016, 07:40 PM
That might answer why I seen a number of Kobe-esque pump fakes from Kawhi on Tuesday night that I haven't seen before.

Yup and those spin moves on the high post are Kobe-esque too