PDA

View Full Version : More on why the NFL is getting worse....

johnsmith
10-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Wasn't sure if I should piggyback the other thread on this or start a new one. I chose the latter....

Good article from Magary though.....

http://deadspin.com/making-football-safer-makes-it-worse-1788277112

Yes, this is another “What’s wrong with football?” post, but before I go there, let me just state up front that the NFL could devolve into a series of 12-hour bocce matches and I would still watch it. More importantly, I would still DEFEND it from annoying fartsniffers and NBA stans who take every opportunity to bitch about the NFL being bad. Football is Family for me in the sense that I believe that only people who love the sport, like me, get to complain about it. Everyone else, including half the Deadspin staff, can go gargle toilet water. We square on that? Good.

Because these games have sucked lately. Seattle-Arizona was a bad joke that gets beaten into the ground so hard that it eventually turns the corner and becomes funny at the end. I’m not ready declare this some permanent, ongoing trend. The NFL is like SNL: People have bitched about the quality of product longer than most other people have been alive. There will always be injuries, and there will always be shitty quarterbacks, and there will always be the risk of tuning into a primetime game that ends in a 6-6 tie. When I was a kid, one of the most hyped-up regular season NFL games ever was a 1990 MNF matchup between the Niners and Giants that ended 7-3. It was one of the worst games I ever watched despite the fact that the two teams would later meet in the NFC title game (the Giants then went on to win one of the best Super Bowls ever). Sometimes sports are shitty, and that’s the price of doing business when you’re a fan.

But there’s one obvious, undeniable change in the sport that has affected the quality of play, and that is safety. As much as I like to goof on the NFL for being lax in addressing concussions, the fact is that more players are being removed from games than before because of the concussion protocol. Never mind that this protocol can be flawed and confusing, or that the average NFL team follows protocol directions about as well as a five-year-old does the rules of Monopoly. Players are getting pulled more often, and the players getting pulled are usually the ones playing the most high-profile positions (QB, RB, WR), because those are the players who are most often caught in defenseless positions.

Any time a player gets pulled—regardless of whether or not he’s a superstar—it affects the product you see on the field. Each missing player is a paper cut on the NFL’s bloated body. The competition is at its best when A) The best players are playing and B) Players out on the field know what the fuck they’re doing. So when a guy gets taken out of a game for any reason, not only is the talent pool diluted a touch, but then the guy you send out to replace him is far less likely to have a firm grasp of his assignment (again, I don’t know why NFL teams, still flush with revenue, don’t have multiple coaching units to give backups more reps during game weeks… seems like a decent investment). That means losing a player fucks you on both the front end AND the back.

That has a ripple effect on the rest of the team, and beyond. If one scrub is out there fucking up, other players have to compensate for him, and then THEY get stretched thin, and maybe they get injured in the process. GMs have to scour the waiver wire for bodies. Coaches have to scramble game plans. Fantasy teams get ghosted. And the refs? Holy shit, these refs barely know what’s in the rule book anymore. In its quest to convince us that it is trying to protect players from injury, the NFL has muddled to rulebook to the point where every ref has their own particular strike zone for late hits and head shots. And when the refs are inconsistent, the players are less certain of what they can and cannot do out on the field, which makes them confused, which means they fuck up. No wonder guys are retiring early. It’s chaos out there.

This represents an unsolvable problem for the NFL. I don’t want players to get killed. I don’t want them drooling oatmeal at age 50. No one does. But, as we’ve said here before, it’s nearly impossible to legislate violence out of a sport that is inherently violent. It’s uncomfortable to say this, but the NFL viewing product is clearly better when concussed players skip out on the protocol and stagger back onto the field. The NFL used to allow (or, more accurately, encourage) players to do this with impunity, because brain injuries are insidious and do the most damage long after a player has retired, long after his entertainment value has been fully extracted.

That is no longer socially or morally acceptable. I guarantee you that, if the NFL had its druthers, it would just go back to 1975 and pretend concussions and drugs and wife beating didn’t exist. But they can’t do that, and so the only way to make games both safer and more watchable is to change the sport at such a fundamental level that it may not even be football anymore. And they’ll never do that because they’d rather lose casual fans than diehards like me, the people who will tune in no matter how warped and garbled the product may be. If it’s a choice between no football and mildly safer (but terrible) football, I already know what choice I’m making. And the NFL knows it, too.

johnsmith
10-27-2016, 12:47 PM
On a totally different note, I'm sure glad I haven't annoyed someone so much that they won't let me start threads.....being tolerable enough that I can still do so sure is something....and really speaks volumes about those that can't.

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2016, 02:28 PM
It's true to an extent, but that's just the flawed nature of the sport, overall..it's a barbaric, caveman sport where players are literally trying to destroy the bodies of their opponents:lol

I think we're just at a point where the NFL exposure is over-saturated, and the league heads/owners are at maximal arrogance, believing they're invincible..personally, the biggest reason I still love the NFL is gambling, so my interest will probably never fade, tbh..

Avante
10-27-2016, 02:44 PM
We cannot play football overly concerned with safety, that is just a reality. The game really is....knock out the starters so we can beat up on their second stringers. And it's always been that way. Ya want to be an instant hero, just knock out the QB, butt slaps all around. Try an box safely, MMA safely? Football is about violence and viciousness, if guys don't want to get hurt then don't play football******

If a another league came along right now that made it real clear....don't play in the league if you are all worried about your safety, we don't care about that......the fans would be there. Now add.....no more field goals or x-tra points. Dump it and put it on the real players.

****** I played in three HS alumni games in my 30's and the last one at 42, I had to sign a form releasing the school of any obligation if we got hurt/killed. We all knew the risks especially at that age. Yep, it was...fuck it~~~

How many people smoke knowing it can and does kill ya? How many people are truck drivers, knowing the dangers? Cops don't get the dangers? Bull riders? Soldiers?

DJR210
10-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Football is never going to change when it comes to the violent nature.. What is going to change is the age when players will retire, which we've already seen pick up steam these last couple of seasons

Avante
10-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Football is never going to change when it comes to the violent nature.. What is going to change is the age when players will retire, which we've already seen pick up steam these last couple of seasons

There is more football than just pro football, actually most of football isn't pro football.

It all starts as little kids, once these kids are being taught to be gentle and not try and hurt anyone there goes football. I was taught to leave them laid out on the field if I could, make that receiver scared to death to come over the middle, make that cornerback afraid to take on one of knees to the face. I was taught that the game was about being the enforcer out there, inflict as much pain and agony as possible.

Yes I know....but this the NFL forum.....but all those guys are just products of what they were taught early on in the game when it comes to attitude. When kids (future NFLers) start worrying about being too mean, too rough, play nice......ouch~~~~

Down Under
10-27-2016, 05:40 PM
It's true to an extent, but that's just the flawed nature of the sport, overall..it's a barbaric, caveman sport where players are literally trying to destroy the bodies of their opponents:lol

I think we're just at a point where the NFL exposure is over-saturated, and the league heads/owners are at maximal arrogance, believing they're invincible..personally, the biggest reason I still love the NFL is gambling, so my interest will probably never fade, tbh..
It's over-saturated in Australia, I cant imagine what it's like over there :lol

midnightpulp
10-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Aside from the safety issues, the main problems with the NFL are over-saturation as mentioned, the incessant amount of commercials, and a dictionary sized rule book that has obviously confused officials and overwhelmed the game itself. You can't get through a drive in today's game without a couple of (questionable) flags being thrown. It's hurt the game aesthetically, too. Kills game flow and watching players throw their hands up after every play begging for calls is unsightly.

Another problem (for purists, anyhow) is how fantasy football and even gambling have become bigger than the sport itself. Goodell understands where the league's bread is buttered and has tweaked gameplay so statlines and box-scores continue to be filled, which obviously makes fantasy football more fun. And higher scoring games increase variance, making for a more dynamic gambling experience.

And the NFL will continue to thrive because of that. It's a recession proof model. The NBA lives or dies by its stars, and once Lebron retires, ratings and interest will definitely decline some (see the huge decline in interest following Jordan's first retirement) unless the NBA finds another once-in-a-generation talent with the charisma to match. The MLB has become a regional phenomenon, but unless there's a captivating story line, baseball doesn't really capture national interest as it once did.

It's the reason the league's brass is arrogant. No matter how good or bad the on field product is, people will follow because of their commitment to fantasy/gambling, and the NBA and MLB are no threat to their hegemony.

I don't think the concussions issues will prove to have a detrimental effect to ratings/interest long term. Safety will continue to improve and players will accept the risks.

midnightpulp
10-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Furthermore, I do find the cavalier attitude of the league's powers-that-be insulting. As I said, they have such a bulletproof business model, they can get away with bloody murder product wise, but people will refuse to turn the channel.

Example:

"Um, Mr. Goodell, et al. We're receiving complaints about the number of commercials an NFL broadcast has."

Goodell: "So what? Them rubes will just buy Sunday Ticket and Redzone. Everyone loves foooooobaaawww and their fantasy teams that damn much!"

And that's what happened. Every time I complain about the commercials to friends or to people online, they tell me to get Redzone/Sunday ticket.

No. I don't give a shit about some AFC South matchup or watching the fuckin' Jets driving against the Bucs. I want to watch my team, and would like to watch them without 90 minutes of truck, beer, and smartphone commercials. I don't mind sporting events that go north of 3 hours, I watch baseball, but baseball's commercials happen at intervals that make sense (the MLB does need to cut out the commercials between pitching changes, though. Or just limit pitching changes to one per inning). The NFL wedges ads into places where they should be unwelcome, like after a kickoff. I recently timed the score/commercial/kickoff/commercial process, and it clocked in at over 7 minutes. So basically, you get 7 minutes of Ford Tough and King of Beers following every FG or TD.

The NFL will never change this, though. Too much money and people won't tune out to make a statement against it.

leemajors
10-27-2016, 10:07 PM
I wonder how bad NFL network only Thursday night games are ratings wise, there is a reason they stream so many on twitter and simulcast on CBS.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-27-2016, 10:08 PM
I just use bootleg p2p sites. Goodell doesn't deserve a penny from me.

leemajors
10-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Furthermore, I do find the cavalier attitude of the league's powers-that-be insulting. As I said, they have such a bulletproof business model, they can get away with bloody murder product wise, but people will refuse to turn the channel.

Example:

"Um, Mr. Goodell, et al. We're receiving complaints about the number of commercials an NFL broadcast has."

Goodell: "So what? Them rubes will just buy Sunday Ticket and Redzone. Everyone loves foooooobaaawww and their fantasy teams that damn much!"

And that's what happened. Every time I complain about the commercials to friends or to people online, they tell me to get Redzone/Sunday ticket.

No. I don't give a shit about some AFC South matchup or watching the fuckin' Jets driving against the Bucs. I want to watch my team, and would like to watch them without 90 minutes of truck, beer, and smartphone commercials. I don't mind sporting events that go north of 3 hours, I watch baseball, but baseball's commercials happen at intervals that make sense (the MLB does need to cut out the commercials between pitching changes, though. Or just limit pitching changes to one per inning). The NFL wedges ads into places where they should be unwelcome, like after a kickoff. I recently timed the score/commercial/kickoff/commercial process, and it clocked in at over 7 minutes. So basically, you get 7 minutes of Ford Tough and King of Beers following every FG or TD.

The NFL will never change this, though. Too much money and people won't tune out to make a statement against it.

There will be a reckoning for the NFL at some point. They swept too much shit under the rug for way too long. Whether it's the right lawsuit that ruins them, or the game being irrevocably changed because of risk to players, but it will come.

UNT Eagles 2016
10-27-2016, 10:15 PM
There will be a reckoning for the NFL at some point. They swept too much shit under the rug for way too long. Whether it's the right lawsuit that ruins them, or the game being irrevocably changed because of risk to players, but it will come.

Tagliabue was way better...

midnightpulp
10-27-2016, 10:43 PM

Could happen. Boxing seemed untouchable as a major sport in the US for nearly a century. It was flat out the most popular individual sport here for much of the 20th century. Now it's a fringe sport.