PDA

View Full Version : Dedmon to Start, Gasol to the bench

playbonner15
10-28-2016, 12:04 AM
Do it, Poop! :hungry:

Chip just needs to find him some form of jumper and this team's golden :lobt:

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2016, 12:06 AM
:lol Gasol would never accept a bench role, tbh..

He has been one of the biggest complainers in the NBA since his Laker days..

cd98
10-28-2016, 12:11 AM
Don't be too harsh on Pau. Slow bigs past their primes can still be effective defenders in the Spurs system, for example, Duncan. But Duncan knew the defensive schemes perfectly while Gasol is still learning. Give him until mid season to adjust.

playbonner15
10-28-2016, 12:12 AM
Pop (or Manu / Parker) has to convince Pau to some degree to come off the bench, or maybe Pop will just substitute him earlier to protect his pride

Arcadian
10-28-2016, 12:12 AM

Can't blame him. He was displaced by Dwight Howard from his job where he won 2 championships...

jimbo
10-28-2016, 12:13 AM
a pouting gasol is worthless, you gotta massage that ego tbh

MaNu4Tres
10-28-2016, 12:14 AM

I love how Pop doesn't give a shit.

Pau was the prized signing, many people worshiped the move on here. In the second game of the season, Pop closes with the center they signed w/ the mini-exception. Says a lot.

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2016, 12:14 AM
Can't blame him. He was displaced by Dwight Howard from his job where he won 2 championships...

I don't blame him, but if he didn't accept being benched for Howard in his prime, he isn't going to be happy sitting for Dewayne fucking Dedmon:lol

ElNono
10-28-2016, 12:16 AM
It's going to be a matchup thing... most NBA teams don't really have a bigs game anyways. Kings, Pelicans, Jazz, Pistons, maybe Clippers... IIRC, that's about it.

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2016, 12:16 AM
I love how Pop doesn't give a shit.

Pau was the prized signing, many people worshiped the move on here. In the second game of the season, Pop closes with the center they signed w/ the mini-exception. Says a lot.
Yep, I don't think Pop cares about leaving Gasol on the bench in key moments..however, he would never bench him, he knows the repercussions IMO..

I strongly dislike Pau and opposed the signing, but people are overreacting to his poor start, tbh..he'll never be mobile, of course, but his offense should improve immensely once hes comfortable..

spurtech09
10-28-2016, 12:17 AM
Don't be too harsh on Pau. Slow bigs past their primes can still be effective defenders in the Spurs system, for example, Duncan. But Duncan knew the defensive schemes perfectly while Gasol is still learning. Give him until mid season to adjust.
agree

playbonner15
10-28-2016, 12:18 AM
If Dedmon becomes foul-prone in the next games coz hes more physical, maybe Gasol will still have his start :lol

timtonymanu
10-28-2016, 12:18 AM
It's just 2 games, but I feel good about our bigs right now compared to last season when we were getting desperate for Boban

Arcadian
10-28-2016, 12:19 AM
I don't blame him, but if he didn't accept being benched for Howard in his prime, he isn't going to be happy sitting for Dewayne fucking Dedmon:lol

I bet he'd rather have Dedmon as a teammate than Coward.

Chinook
As I said in the game thread, you can definitely see why there were folks in the Spurs organization that wanted Dedmon to start. Issue is that right now, even if Dedmon started, I'd want another Dedmon off the bench with Lee.

HarlemHeat37
Also, as much as I like Dedmon and wanted him on the Spurs, he's been a foul machine throughout his career..he's better suited for a 15-20 MPG role, at least until he has shown some growth, in that regard..

MaNu4Tres
Yep, I don't think Pop cares about leaving Gasol on the bench in key moments..however, he would never bench him, he knows the repercussions IMO..

I strongly dislike Pau and opposed the signing, but people are overreacting to his poor start, tbh..he'll never be mobile, of course, but his offense should improve immensely once hes comfortable..

He needs usage to improve immensely offensively. He won't get it w/ Mega-Kawhi & LA.

Also, Pop can't play Parker and Anderson together. Starters have been killed two straight games w/ the two invisible soles out there. It's 3 on 5 with no spacing.

Pau was a -13 for the 2nd straight Spurs' victory. That seems hard to do.

HI-FI
10-28-2016, 12:20 AM
I'm still an MVPau fan so agree with those who thinks he needs more time. He'll flourish in the system eventually imo. Still, Dedmon is the shit, Spurs could've really used him last year.

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2016, 12:21 AM
He needs usage to improve immensely offensively. He won't get it w/ Mega-Kawhi & LA.

Also, Pop can't play Parker and Anderson together. Starters have been killed two straight games w/ the two invisible soles out there. It's 3 on 5 with no spacing.

I fully agree that you can't play those 3 together..watching Parker and Gasol together has been painful, even without Kyle..

spurraider21
10-28-2016, 12:21 AM

I strongly dislike Pau and opposed the signing, but people are overreacting to his poor start, tbh..he'll never be mobile, of course, but his offense should improve immensely once hes comfortable..yeah... even aldridge was pretty miserable offensively to start last season

Chinook
10-28-2016, 12:22 AM
Also, as much as I like Dedmon and wanted him on the Spurs, he's been a foul machine throughout his career..he's better suited for a 15-20 MPG role, at least until he has shown some growth, in that regard..

I think four fouls in 24 minutes against Cousins is fantastic. But I agree he needs to show he can do that more consistently.

objective
10-28-2016, 12:22 AM
Pau is gonna pout like crazy.

Hopefully his legs are just dead from the summer play and he'll improve as the season goes on

10-28-2016, 12:24 AM
Anderson is just a place holder til Danny gets back, non issue.

Chinook
10-28-2016, 12:25 AM
Pau is gonna pout like crazy.

Hopefully his legs are just dead from the summer play and he'll improve as the season goes on

I think it's the opposite. He's probably still not in shape. Dude is open about the fact that he doesn't work out. Probably can only get used to NBA conditioning by playing in an NBA season.

That's just one of the many reasons why folks thinking the Spurs blew their loads against the Warriors are clueless. The team has so much more room for growth.

Shipupi
10-28-2016, 12:33 AM
It's going to be a matchup thing... most NBA teams don't really have a bigs game anyways. Kings, Pelicans, Jazz, Pistons, maybe Clippers... IIRC, that's about it. Yes that's also what i thought for a second, but then i remembered tuesday game, in which you couldn't play him either because he'll get abused in the PnR.

Nathan89
10-28-2016, 12:34 AM

Maybe he'll opt out after this year. Fuck him.

Nathan89
10-28-2016, 12:36 AM
According to some posts on here apparently Gasol "likes to play his way into shape", so hopefully he'll be able to not suck in the future.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-28-2016, 12:37 AM

But can his offense overcome his horrible defense? That's my biggest concern. We are only two games in, but whatever we can get from Pau on offense he gives right back on the other end. There isn't a single positive thing I can see about his defense. I always heard horror stories about his defense but this is just straight up shocking.

I figure his offense will come with due time, and he's still got some nifty passes left in him. But I find his performances pretty puzzling as he doesn't look motivated at all out there.

Kawhitstorm
10-28-2016, 12:43 AM

Pau's best assets is being a stretch 5 at this point of his career but Porker is essentially being phased out of the offense & doesn't even run 1-5 PnRs or the his trademark loop.

Dribble hand-offs w/ Pau/Kawhi might be the way to go similar to how Pau/Butler ran it in Chicago. I'm not even sure what Tony's role in the offense is this season other than running occasional PnPs w/ LMA, other than that he has been looking to score when the play breaks down.

MaNu4Tres
10-28-2016, 12:45 AM
But can his offense overcome his horrible defense? That's my biggest concern. We are only two games in, but whatever we can get from Pau on offense he gives right back on the other end. There isn't a single positive thing I can see about his defense. I always heard horror stories about his defense but this is just straight up shocking.

I figure his offense will come with due time, and he's still got some nifty passes left in him. But I find his performances pretty puzzling as he doesn't look motivated at all out there.

I said this back in July. The usage wasn't going to be there on the offensive end and that's where his value is directly tied to.

I wanted Harkless/ trade for Taj.

It's very early though. Hopefully his play is tied to his conditioning and he provides more on both ends as the season goes along.

Kawhitstorm
10-28-2016, 12:46 AM

He doesn't play defense when he isn't getting touches on offense, he basically cruised the entire season in 2012-13. He wasn't anywhere near this bad in the Olympics & that was only 2 months ago.

pgardn
10-28-2016, 12:46 AM
Not yet.

He makes our second team strong it appears. AND he was in at the end of the game at least forcing Cousins to hit long shots and challenging him physically. These are the nights he is useful. If it is a game that requires some finesse and guile, we will see. The refs don't like Cousins all that much so we can beat on him a bit.

MaNu4Tres
10-28-2016, 12:47 AM
Pau's best assets is being a stretch 5 at this point of his career but Porker is essentially being phased out of the offense & doesn't even run 1-5 PnRs or the his trademark loop.

Dribble hand-offs w/ Pau/Kawhi might be the way to go similar to how Pau/Butler ran it in Chicago. I'm not even sure what Tony's role in the offense is this season other than running occasional PnPs w/ LMA, other than that he has been looking to score when the play breaks down.

Parker doesn't move the same without the ball. Tonight he was sleepwalking around screens.

I'll be shocked if Spurs go into next year w/ him starting still.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2016, 12:50 AM
Parker doesn't move the same without the ball. Tonight he was sleepwalking around screens.

Agree. One of two things is going on: Something is really wrong with him, or Pop has him saving himself (which we even heard about last year). My money is on the former just because he hasn't shown up when needed anytime recently.

How did Parker look in international ball this summer?

Kawhitstorm
10-28-2016, 12:55 AM

You know he's going to ask for a Kirby style send off::lol

Kawhitstorm
10-28-2016, 12:59 AM
Agree. One of two things is going on: Something is really wrong with him, or Pop has him saving himself (which we even heard about last year). My money is on the former just because he hasn't shown up when needed anytime recently.

How did Parker look in international ball this summer?

Raymond Felton looks like an All-Star compared to Porker, I can't believe PATFO passed on him when Doc Rivers signed him to be the 5th guard for the vet minimum.

Solid D
10-28-2016, 01:01 AM
Dedmon with the goods @ +21.

SpurPadre
10-28-2016, 01:28 AM
It's way too early to write off Pau and I think he'll come through for us. But just a thought: imagine a trade of he and Anderson for Zbo and Tony Allen. I think we'd be clear favorites but it might piss off LMA because he'd move to the 5 unless Zbo comes off the bench with Dedmon starting. Oh well, not gonna happen so we'll have to make due with Pau...and he'll come around eventually.

Darius Bieber
10-28-2016, 01:32 AM
It's way too early to write off Pau and I think he'll come through for us. But just a thought: imagine a trade of he and Anderson for Zbo and Tony Allen. I think we'd be clear favorites but it might piss off LMA because he'd move to the 5 unless Zbo comes off the bench with Dedmon starting. Oh well, not gonna happen so we'll have to make due with Pau...and he'll come around eventually.

:lmaoEven the Grizzlies aren't stupid enough to do that trade

SpurPadre
10-28-2016, 01:38 AM

Gasol brothers together would be good marketing and if their season is lost, we've seen worse trades, tbh.

james evans
10-28-2016, 01:48 AM
Gasol wasn't even a good defender in his prime. Now you have a lineup for the next 3 weeks with Gasol, Parker, Aldridge and Anderson. Dammit man.

playbonner15
10-28-2016, 02:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whKRZ5eQvaE

spursistan
10-28-2016, 08:25 AM

@ :30 sec yelling "get this shit out of here, okay" after the block :lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Last play, Parker continued lowlights led to one of his highlights.

Chinook
10-28-2016, 08:39 AM

Spurs would never include Anderson for that poopoo platter. Z-Bo for Pau is fair. I'd include nothing to make that happen.

r0drig0lac
10-28-2016, 09:10 AM
@ :30 sec yelling "get this shit out of here, okay" after the block :lol

alpha

LaMarcus Bryant
10-28-2016, 09:20 AM
I don't think Pau will be a liability defensively against big-oriented teams and matchups. With a lamarcus, a kawhi, a green on the court in front of him? I just don't see how Pau can't be a great center with that kinda help.

I am not hitting panic mode on him not even close.

playbonner15
10-30-2016, 08:13 AM
Dude-mon showed he worked on those jumpshots. I hope Pop rests Pau sometime and let Dude-monsta beast

John B
10-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Somehow he reminds of the Admiral, his atleticism. I don't think we had an athletic big since DRob.

Raven
10-30-2016, 10:29 AM
we are not a high paced team, there is no reason to start dedmon, but it's great that we can actually entertain the idea

AFBlue
10-30-2016, 10:32 AM
Overreaction thread is overreactive. Pau is a much more well-rounded player than Dedmon. Dedmon plays a great role off the bench as part of the "Juice unit." Spurs are 3-0 and Pau is finding his way. You know the old saying...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GSH
12-15-2016, 10:30 PM
I have to admit, I thought this was ridiculous when the thread was started. I like Dedmon's intensity and defense, and Pau SHOULD be able to go wild against bench players. I don't know how Dedmon would stack up against starters, but I'd like to see Pop give it a try.

james evans
12-15-2016, 11:49 PM
I have to admit, I thought this was ridiculous when the thread was started. I like Dedmon's intensity and defense, and Pau SHOULD be able to go wild against bench players. I don't know how Dedmon would stack up against starters, but I'd like to see Pop give it a try.
There is no way on earth his defense can possibly be worse than Gasol's against the league's starting centers. It just can't be.

james evans
12-15-2016, 11:50 PM
Overreaction thread is overreactive. Pau is a much more well-rounded player than Dedmon. Dedmon plays a great role off the bench as part of the "Juice unit." Spurs are 3-0 and Pau is finding his way. You know the old saying...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It's definitely broke now

dabom
12-15-2016, 11:52 PM
You don't want big men to wear out. Gasol is pacing himself, but dedmon is the real deal.

playbonner15
12-16-2016, 12:39 AM
This is becoming more obvious not just to Spurs fans but almost all the viewers. Only Pop is too stubborn as always..

GSH
12-16-2016, 02:42 AM
You don't want big men to wear out. Gasol is pacing himself, but dedmon is the real deal.

I like that. "Pacing himself". I was thinking, "Pau is a lazy fuck who coasts through stretches of just about every game. Hopefully he won't do it in the playoffs." But your way sounds nicer. :lol

exstatic
12-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Most nights, Dedmon is a foul machine who couldn't stay on the floor in a starters role. He averages 2.4 fouls in just under 15 minutes. That's pretty horrendous. He needs to clean up his defensive bad habits. As Sean would say, a 7 footer should not be reaching, he should use his length.

GSH
12-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Most nights, Dedmon is a foul machine who couldn't stay on the floor in a starters role. He averages 2.4 fouls in just under 15 minutes. That's pretty horrendous. He needs to clean up his defensive bad habits. As Sean would say, a 7 footer should not be reaching, he should use his length.

Actually, since Dedmon came back from his injury, he's been averaging about 4.8 PF/36 minutes. Tiago averaged 4.4 his first two seasons. Blair spent two years as a starter averaging 4.4. Stephen Jackson's first year here, he averaged 4.6, and Malik Rose averaged 5.1 for his whole freaking career.

I don't disagree that Dedmon is still fouling a bit much, and maybe it would be worse against starters. But I like the fact that he is aggressive and tough on defense. There's a reason why Pau is only picking up a couple of fouls a game - he spends too much of his time playing matador. And he's NEVER a factor in transition D.

Maybe you're right, and it wouldn't work. But I'd like to see.

TheDoctor
12-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Kyle's no-look-half-court-lob-pass to Ded was dope tbh

MI21
12-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Actually, since Dedmon came back from his injury, he's been averaging about 4.8 PF/36 minutes. Tiago averaged 4.4 his first two seasons. Blair spent two years as a starter averaging 4.4. Stephen Jackson's first year here, he averaged 4.6, and Malik Rose averaged 5.1 for his whole freaking career.

I don't disagree that Dedmon is still fouling a bit much, and maybe it would be worse against starters. But I like the fact that he is aggressive and tough on defense. There's a reason why Pau is only picking up a couple of fouls a game - he spends too much of his time playing matador. And he's NEVER a factor in transition D.

Maybe you're right, and it wouldn't work. But I'd like to see.

IIRC exstatic thought Errors was going to be a significant contributor :lol

We all get things wrong, but Errors was awful from the beginning, there was no way to confuse how bad he was.

SAGirl
12-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Kyle's no-look-half-court-lob-pass to Ded was dope tbh
He's fun to watch for sure.
I do hope Spurs keep him... but I am not so sure they will be able to. So we have to enjoy watching him this season:

Ice009
12-16-2016, 11:39 AM
I want to get really, really excited about Dedmon, but I'm holding back because I'm worried he's going to leave. I love defense and am really, really excited with what he's shown on that end of the floor. He's also getting better on offense too. Great signing. A few of the posters here on Spurstalk wanted him before most of us (including me) even knew who the heck he was.

Mnky
12-16-2016, 11:47 AM
I want to get really, really excited about Dedmon, but I'm holding back because I'm worried he's going to leave. I love defense and am really, really excited with what he's shown on that end of the floor. He's also getting better on offense too. Great signing. A few of the posters here on Spurstalk wanted him before most of us (including me) even knew who the heck he was.

Unless he gets a big head, I doubt they let him leave. He's still very much a system player. His weaknesses haven't really improved. He's just getting better at what he does well with a better supporting cast as should be expected.

Chinook
12-16-2016, 11:53 AM
They say the MLE might be twice the size it was this year. That should be enough to keep him if he wants to stay.

duncan2k5
12-16-2016, 12:05 PM
bench mob would be better off with pau, starters better off with dedmon...whats the debate?

playbonner15
02-16-2017, 08:02 AM
Im thinking Gasol might be better paired with Dedmon in the starting lineup vs Aldridge-Dedmon combo that we're seeing currently

UZER
02-16-2017, 08:24 AM
You don't lose your starting job to injury.

:pop:

spursistan
02-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Top 5 teams in Defensive rating since Pau got injured (1/19/2017):

1- Spurs 98.4

2- Jazz 102.8

3- Wizards 102.8

4- Warriors 103.0

5- Heat 103.4

SpursFan86
02-16-2017, 12:58 PM

1- Spurs 98.4

2- Jazz 102.8

3- Wizards 102.8

4- Warriors 103.0

5- Heat 103.4

To be fair, aren't we like 20th offensively since Pau went down? We've also had a pretty easy schedule in that span...we played the Cavs once and then a struggling Raptors team. Outside of that, seems like the majority of our games have been against scrubs or average teams.

james evans
02-16-2017, 04:56 PM
He's fun to watch for sure.
I do hope Spurs keep him... but I am not so sure they will be able to. So we have to enjoy watching him this season:

of course we won't keep him, he's playing too good. We'll throw throw $10 million a year at Mills and give Ginobli another $14 million severance package

Hoops Czar
02-16-2017, 07:02 PM

1- Spurs 98.4

2- Jazz 102.8

3- Wizards 102.8

4- Warriors 103.0

5- Heat 103.4

To be fair, they haven't played a bunch of offensive world beaters during that stretch and when they did, the defense wasn't all that.

@ Cleveland / 3rd off. efficiency / shot 50% from the floor but couldn't make a wide open three to save their life, lucky for the Spurs / James 11-16, Irving 13-22, Thompson 7-13, Love 4-15 :lmao

@ Brooklyn / 28th offensive efficiency

@ Toronto / 4th Offensive efficiency / No Demar DeRosan

@ NO / 27th Offensive efficiency / 52% FG's and 43% from three

vs Dallas / 19th Offensive efficiency / Curry, Matthews and Barnes taking a wet shit on the Spurs defense

vs OKC / 21st Offensive efficiency

vs Philly / 30th Offensive efficiency

vs Denver / 8th Offensive efficiency

@ Memphis / 20th Offensive efficiency

@ Philly / 30th Offensive efficiency

@ Detroit / 23rd Offensive efficiency

@ NY Knicks / 15th Offensive efficiency / 50% FG%, 64% 3-point range (9-14) :lmao

@ Indiana / 14th Offensive efficiency / 48% FG%, 45% 3- point range (9-20)

@ Orlando / 29th Offensive efficiency

kuato
02-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Dedmon and Pau will be a very good mix in the playoff, Dedmon is the energy the team needs in some situations and Pau's with his soft touch from 3 against tall centers, with Lee as a free rebound and defense helper, in the mix switching The Klaw, Verde and MvPelon, please freeze Parker and use Murray.

cd021
02-17-2017, 12:04 AM
I would hope Dedmon continues to start but i'd doubt Pop would bring Gasol off the bench, and/or Pau would be okay with him doing so.
If he does then, I think, it might be a sign that PATFO may be interested in having him be a Spur past this season. If they are motivated enough, then Gasol may need to be moved in the off season to be able to pay to keep Dedmon.

playbonner15
03-31-2017, 09:59 PM
Great move by Pop bringing Pau off the bench. Good thing an NBA coach reads ST from time to time:lol

spursistan
04-01-2017, 02:58 AM
Pau has clearly found a better niche with the bench..With more ball movement, he's doubled up his 3PT FGA and is shooting an insane 61% from deep...

Pop best coaching move the entire season...

Traditional stats:

https://i.imgur.com/Uahd5MW.jpg
Advanced stats:

https://i.imgur.com/GPAySHy.jpg