PDA

View Full Version : Green/Anderson/Simmons Dilemma

coachmac87
10-28-2016, 11:55 AM
I know this could be a few weeks away but I'm already looking forward to how Pop could or should handle minutes, roles etc with these 3. If Simmons continues to impress and Anderson struggles this could really make things interesting.

Lee and Dedmond have both shown excellent play in spurts and don't give me any reason for playing Anderson at the 4 off the bench..

Simmons constantly puts a defense on its heels with his attacking mindset and gets to the line..while Manu is pretty much the PG setting up the PNR. IMO Anderson could be the odd man out when it's all said and done. But it is a good problem to have I guess but it's something to keep an eye on.

Thoughts?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Green is the starter.

Kyle and Simmons minutes are based off who the Spurs play much like last year. Green being out forces Kyle to start and for Simmons to play off the bench no matter what. It forces Pop to have to play Manu more minutes. Green starting, it gives Pop options to tinker with the rotations. Nothing more, nothing less.

raybies
10-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Only way Kyle keeps his spot is it we are undefeated when Danny comes back. Imo but he would be on an extremely short leash. And if Simmons continues to play like this you have to give him the nod. The thing is the way pop plays Jon, he'll give him chances. I'm not sure you want to put any extra pressure on Simmons with the way he's been playing... can he handle it? But maybe it will be his become a man moment and he can finally overcome his confidence issues. But yeah Kyle is off man out right now.

Anyone think pop would leave things as is when DG is back if we have a great record?

Mr. Body
10-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Green is the starter. Anderson and Simmons play two different roles.

SAGirl
10-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Green is the starter. Kyle is subbing in for him and it's not going to change until Danny gets back. He played 26 minutes here. His value in that lineup is tied to his defense and playing smart, since he's playing with a potential league MVP and 3 other better offensive players. He's just there for the rebounds, the defense, and how smart he is with passes and decisions he makes. If Pop wouldn't like what he was doing he'd be benched earlier and would not have closed the game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Green starts. Simmons backs him up.

Kyle will be used depending on matchups and what Pop wants to do. Not a set rotation piece. The second unit is playing too well so far to mess with it.

SAGirl
10-28-2016, 12:15 PM
By the way Kyle will still play through the season and be developed. I truly believe Pop when he said he needed to play more and has shown to deserve the minutes to develop. What he's doing there is what Pop wants. It's not about himself. He's playing a role. I have seen him play different in other situations, but it's not his role to be aggressive or force things with that lineup. You don't need or want that with Kawhi and LMA there, then 2 other players whose value is tied to their offense in Pau and Tony.

coachmac87
10-28-2016, 12:15 PM
I know Green is the starter lol

But I don't see how all 3 can have significant roles going forward especially Anderson/Simmons

SAGirl
10-28-2016, 12:27 PM
I know Green is the starter lol

But I don't see how all 3 can have significant roles going forward especially Anderson/Simmons

I suspect Ginobili's role will be declining the better the other two play and they will get opportunities to develop, both of them. Even Ginobili himself said this, but the trolls here with the "Simmons and Anderson are not good enough" schticks discount even what comes out of Ginobili's own mouth. He said both guys had worked really hard and deserve opportunities and that it would only be natural if they started playing much better and his minutes dwindled. Manu is not going to be playing more than 20 minutes, probably under any regular circumstances, unless fouls, or an injury situation, or someone clearly messing up requires it, which is not happening right now and hopefully it doesn't happen bc the team needs their young players to develop. In the past Pop would have put Manu at the end. He trusted Kyle in this case and got heady and solid play out of him. It was the right choice, Kyle got rebounds in the nick of time, boxed guys out, made good decisions on passes (setting up LMA for a post up over Barnes was Kyle recognizing a good shot opportunity and making a good decision).

It's in the team's interest to develop their youth and not rely on Manu that much and Pop will juggle minutes and situations to that end. They committed to Kyle another season, past this one and he will be developed for a role, but right now playing with Kiwi, it's not about him.

raybies
10-28-2016, 12:41 PM
By the way Kyle will still play through the season and be developed. I truly believe Pop when he said he needed to play more and has shown to deserve the minutes to develop. What he's doing there is what Pop wants. It's not about himself. He's playing a role. I have seen him play different in other situations, but it's not his role to be aggressive or force things with that lineup. You don't need or want that with Kawhi and LMA there, then 2 other players whose value is tied to their offense in Pau and Tony.

Yup, some people think scoring is the be all end all but Kyle has a really nice game. He has intangibles. You can be a playmaker and it not be on offense. He'll get a steal or a block, a big rebound. For the reason some of us liked Garino, (solid play, no mistakes, solid D) Kylie really is an accelerated version.

bklynspursfan
10-28-2016, 12:45 PM

Kyle will be used depending on matchups and what Pop wants to do. Not a set rotation piece. The second unit is playing too well so far to mess with it.

this may be the route Pop goes imo. Though Anderson still has time to change that.. He rebounded well last night, it's just offensively without being the primary ball handler , it's tough to find somewhere for him to be successful. If he isn't going to be as effective offensively, he needs to be great defensively, and he's OK on that end, but he still makes some questionable decisions at times

Last night they ran a play for Anderson to get an open 3, and he pump faked to get a closer shot. Pop kinda put his hands on his head like he was a bit frustrated with the outcome. I feel like it's beating a dead horse, but he has to take that shot. I get he has other strengths, but we know Pop likes guys who catch/shoot and make quick decisions

MaNu4Tres
10-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Id like to see Pop make an adjustment with the starting lineup with Green out if they keep getting outplayed. The bench has bailed out the poor play of the starting unit both games already.

The current starting lineup is having a very hard time scoring because of how Anderson and Parker ruin spacing. Its very telling and frustrating to watch. I especially cant stand when Anderson cuts slowly to the basket when Kawhi or LA is on the block. All Anderson is doing is bringing his man into the congested space. Id understand it here and there, when he catches his defender sleeping, but everytime?

Id start Simmons instead of Anderson and split the back up SF minutes between Anderson & Bertans until Bertans inevitably takes his minutes because his skill set is more valuable to the team than Andersons C- skillset with the ball.

TheDoctor
10-28-2016, 12:59 PM
I suspect Ginobili's role will be declining the better the other two play and they will get opportunities to develop, both of them. Even Ginobili himself said this, but the trolls here with the "Simmons and Anderson are not good enough" schticks discount even what comes out of Ginobili's own mouth. He said both guys had worked really hard and deserve opportunities and that it would only be natural if they started playing much better and his minutes dwindled. Manu is not going to be playing more than 20 minutes, probably under any regular circumstances, unless fouls, or an injury situation, or someone clearly messing up requires it, which is not happening right now and hopefully it doesn't happen bc the team needs their young players to develop. In the past Pop would have put Manu at the end. He trusted Kyle in this case and got heady and solid play out of him. It was the right choice, Kyle got rebounds in the nick of time, boxed guys out, made good decisions on passes (setting up LMA for a post up over Barnes was Kyle recognizing a good shot opportunity and making a good decision).

It's in the team's interest to develop their youth and not rely on Manu that much and Pop will juggle minutes and situations to that end. They committed to Kyle another season, past this one and he will be developed for a role, but right now playing with Kiwi, it's not about him.

He says that because unlike Parker, Manu's an excellent teammate who will always who have your back.

BillMc
10-28-2016, 01:00 PM
More worried about Bertans rotting on the vine. As others have said Green is the starter (and should be).

SAGirl
10-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Yup, some people think scoring is the be all end all but Kyle has a really nice game. He has intangibles. You can be a playmaker and it not be on offense. He'll get a steal or a block, a big rebound. For the reason some of us liked Garino, (solid play, no mistakes, solid D) Kylie really is an accelerated version.Exactly, this is not the fangirl talking. In that lineup you need the blue collar things and heady play. We were chatting about how adding an offensive player like Durant to a lineup that already has great offense in the GSW didn't help them be better necessarily, specially when the guy you took out did a lot of blue collar things and didn't need the ball or took possessions from anyone. Kyle taking shots in that group is unnecessary, unless he's wide open and is passed to for a good shot.

That lineup is all about Kawhi with LMA, their PnR and 2 man game. Then you have two other players in there who need the ball and shots to feel "important" as Manu says, and whose value is tied to the offensive production.

Kyle doesn't need shots to help them. He only needs to take a wide open 3 if he has it, that is it. I think the defense and everything else was emphasized to him and he's truly doing what Pop wants in there. Ppl should just appreciate that he can help the team without needing shots or the ball. He can do other things offensively, and we saw them in some games last season, but they are not called for, nor needed in that lineup.

When Danny gets back, he will stretch the floor better, but Danny's value to that lineup is also the floor stretching and the same blue collar things, not needing the ball or shots to help them. That is basically what Kyle is providing. They could set him up for some open 3s if they want to establish him as a shooter. I think in the 2nd Q they tried to do that, and the play was sniffed out and he was closed out in his shot, making him take a one dribble pull up, but as they get more chemistry and such I think he will end up with some open shots. Some times Kawhi drove into traffic when Kyle was open for a corner 3 and he could have passed too, but Kawhi was drawing fouls, and was ultra aggressive, etc. Again, we saw the guys execute what Pop wanted. If he wasn't doing what Pop wanted, he would not be playing. That is why I said, that lineup is entirely about Kawhi's development as a PnR ballhandler and dominant player. Kyle is just playing a small supporting role.

MaNu4Tres
10-28-2016, 01:03 PM
I also wouldnt mind if Parker just retired or got a season ending injury. Is that mean?

Start Patty, and have Forbes/ Lapro compete for the minutes next to Manu.

bklynspursfan
10-28-2016, 01:12 PM
I also wouldnt mind if Parker just retired or got a season ending injury. Is that mean?

Terrible dude lol... TP is a notorious slow starter, it takes him some time to get it going. Let's give him some time too to get his legs under him..

And idk, Patty just seems better suited to come off the bench. TP if nothing else knows how to slow the game down (when needed) and is a better ball handler. Patty is like a secret weapon off the bench

dabom
10-28-2016, 01:13 PM

Patty needs to start.

dabom
10-28-2016, 01:14 PM
Slow down the game. Better ball handler. So basically nothing. :lmao

Obstructed_View
10-28-2016, 01:18 PM

This. I'm not sure why some fans can't wrap their tiny brains around how it works on this team. Pop starts the third string guy when a starter is out so the second team isn't disrupted. That means Simmons has a spot in the rotation, and since he's playing well in it, Pop won't touch it. Kyle can play four positions in a pinch, can defend and rebound, and he can impact the game without scoring. His minutes will likely be dictated by situations and matchups when Danny comes back. Until then he's probably going to start.

Hoops Czar
10-28-2016, 01:25 PM

Pop came into the season saying the KA was going to have an increased role with the team, possibly playing him at 3 positions. I don't think his mindset has changed based on two regular season games.

Chinook
10-28-2016, 01:25 PM
This. I'm not sure why some fans can't wrap their tiny brains around how it works on this team. Pop starts the third string guy when a starter is out so the second team isn't disrupted. That means Simmons has a spot in the rotation, and since he's playing well in it, Pop won't touch it. Kyle can play four positions in a pinch, can defend and rebound, and he can impact the game without scoring. His minutes will likely be dictated by situations and matchups when Danny comes back. Until then he's probably going to start.

That's often been true, but it hasn't in the case of Anderson. He started in place of Kawhi, TD and possibly even LMA last season. All that was while he remained the second-string SF. Right now the bench is so fluid that Pop's probably not going to worry about who has a fixed role or not.

raybies
10-28-2016, 01:26 PM

I'm not sure Kyle is in the starting lineup because he's 3rd string. Good topic debate about. I'd say normally yes, but in this circumstance I think it's different. I think it's a combination of things like, fit and experience. Imo Kyle is the safer bet. He's less turnover prone and is much more versatile on offense and defense. From what I seen this far, is that they have a defined role for a Simmons and they are not straying from it. Kyle on the other hand is like a Swiss army knife.

Anyways, but now Simmons has a grip on his spot with how well the bench is play and it's very opportunistic of him.

mookie2001
10-28-2016, 01:27 PM
A productive player can also have intangibles and be blue collar and do the little things and all that crap.

Its alarming how reluctant Anderson is to shoot the ball, the team just can't afford to take zeros at one position.

raybies
10-28-2016, 01:30 PM
A productive player can also have intangibles and be blue collar and do the little things and all that crap.

Its alarming how reluctant Anderson is to shoot the ball, the team just can't afford to take zeros at one position.

Yeah, is the only knock I have on him and the difference between 4-5 points to 10-11. The faster release we seen in the summer hasn't been present. Hope he hasn't regressed.

kaji157
10-28-2016, 02:10 PM
The more i see the SL the more i think Simmons is the better fit in there, even better than Green maybe.
If he shows he can hold his own on defense that would be great. For sure he will be more useful than Anderson out there.

DrSteffo
10-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Exactly, this is not the fangirl talking. In that lineup you need the blue collar things and heady play. We were chatting about how adding an offensive player like Durant to a lineup that already has great offense in the GSW didn't help them be better necessarily, specially when the guy you took out did a lot of blue collar things and didn't need the ball or took possessions from anyone. Kyle taking shots in that group is unnecessary, unless he's wide open and is passed to for a good shot.

That lineup is all about Kawhi with LMA, their PnR and 2 man game. Then you have two other players in there who need the ball and shots to feel "important" as Manu says, and whose value is tied to the offensive production.

Kyle doesn't need shots to help them. He only needs to take a wide open 3 if he has it, that is it. I think the defense and everything else was emphasized to him and he's truly doing what Pop wants in there. Ppl should just appreciate that he can help the team without needing shots or the ball. He can do other things offensively, and we saw them in some games last season, but they are not called for, nor needed in that lineup.

When Danny gets back, he will stretch the floor better, but Danny's value to that lineup is also the floor stretching and the same blue collar things, not needing the ball or shots to help them. That is basically what Kyle is providing. They could set him up for some open 3s if they want to establish him as a shooter. I think in the 2nd Q they tried to do that, and the play was sniffed out and he was closed out in his shot, making him take a one dribble pull up, but as they get more chemistry and such I think he will end up with some open shots. Some times Kawhi drove into traffic when Kyle was open for a corner 3 and he could have passed too, but Kawhi was drawing fouls, and was ultra aggressive, etc. Again, we saw the guys execute what Pop wanted. If he wasn't doing what Pop wanted, he would not be playing. That is why I said, that lineup is entirely about Kawhi's development as a PnR ballhandler and dominant player. Kyle is just playing a small supporting role.

troll post

Drom John
10-28-2016, 03:19 PM
That's often been true, but it hasn't in the case of Anderson. He started in place of Kawhi, TD and possibly even LMA last season. All that was while he remained the second-string SF. Right now the bench is so fluid that Pop's probably not going to worry about who has a fixed role or not.

Anderson started 11 games last year. 10 games were for Leonard, 1 game was for Duncan. There's a Thunder game (blowout Thunder win) with Leonard and Aldridge, but I believe Anderson mostly guarded Durant and Diaw mostly guarded Ibaka. Anderson had the best +/- for the starters, and Durant had the worst.

Chinook
10-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Anderson started 11 games last year. 10 games were for Leonard, 1 game was for Duncan. There's a Thunder game (blowout Thunder win) with Leonard and Aldridge, but I believe Anderson mostly guarded Durant and Diaw mostly guarded Ibaka. Anderson had the best +/- for the starters, and Durant had the worst.

Thanks, Drom. Insightful as always. I don't think we can read anything into Pop's thinking given that Anderson is starting. He may just want Kawhi to get minutes at the two. Or he could want to see if Anderson has what it takes to be a future starter. Or maybe he thinks Simmons is a better bench option due to his energy and athleticism. We don't know.

Chinook
10-28-2016, 03:29 PM
The more i see the SL the more i think Simmons is the better fit in there, even better than Green maybe.
If he shows he can hold his own on defense that would be great. For sure he will be more useful than Anderson out there.

If Simmons shows he can do what Green can do, then I agree there's a good chance. But he hasn't, really. His man defense is still feast or famine. And while he's been shooting great from deep, we'll have to see. Danny has a much higher floor, since you know he can defend elite perimeter guys to give Kawhi a small, and Simmons probably can't inspire that confidence. And even if he's not as big of a threat to score from any given place on the court, Danny's three-point shooting so well established that he can space the floor as well as any role-player in the league. Simmons is like 70 percent of Danny who can flash at 120 percent of him. But Green has his own flashes, and when he's on, he looks like a Splash Bro who's also a DPoY candidate.

spurraider21
10-28-2016, 03:42 PM
With Kawhi being so much more of the initiator of offense, and with the passing ability of Pau, there seems to be less of a need for a ball-handling, playmaking PG (not that parker has been very good at the latter in recent years). In recent years, I was hesitant to suggest starting Patty because he seemed to be more of a shooting guard on offense with Manu being the bench point guard, same situation as with Gary Neal back in the day. But with the lack of a need for a "true" point guard on offense, I don't think it's a farfetched idea anymore... especially if Simmons and Manu are able to work together off the bench as ball-handlers.

SAGirl
10-28-2016, 03:43 PM
If Simmons shows he can do what Green can do, then I agree there's a good chance. But he hasn't, really. His man defense is still feast or famine. And while he's been shooting great from deep, we'll have to see. Danny has a much higher floor, since you know he can defend elite perimeter guys to give Kawhi a small, and Simmons probably can't inspire that confidence. And even if he's not as big of a threat to score from any given place on the court, Danny's three-point shooting so well established that he can space the floor as well as any role-player in the league. Simmons is like 70 percent of Danny who can flash at 120 percent of him. But Green has his own flashes, and when he's on, he looks like a Splash Bro who's also a DPoY candidate.

I think the issue with Danny is that he's perfect for what they need. The reality is that the need Green's floor spacing and blue collar mentality more than anything else. Danny plays hard and competes without having offensive touches. If you want him to get a rhyhtm you better get him some good shots, but he can play over 20 minutes easily of a very competitive game and only come out with 2 shots and yet have impacted the game positively. With Kawhi in this ball dominant offensive fashion, and then Tony and Pau there, the 5th guy can't be a guy that needs touches.

In fact, Tony and Pau are looking very weird in fit next to Kawhi and LMA just by virtue of the fact that they require involvement with the ball in specific and particular situations. Danny doesn't... Kyle doesn't either. Where he's failing is that he's not the shooter that Danny is, and again, I hope he snaps out of that funk. He's not going to be Danny but he can shoot when open. He didn't get many open shot opportunities here... but he can't pass up shots if he wants to inspire confidence in teammates. No escaping that.

apalisoc_9
10-28-2016, 03:45 PM
With Kawhi being so much more of the initiator of offense, and with the passing ability of Pau, there seems to be less of a need for a ball-handling, playmaking PG (not that parker has been very good at the latter in recent years). In recent years, I was hesitant to suggest starting Patty because he seemed to be more of a shooting guard on offense with Manu being the bench point guard, same situation as with Gary Neal back in the day. But with the lack of a need for a "true" point guard on offense, I don't think it's a farfetched idea anymore... especially if Simmons and Manu are able to work together off the bench as ball-handlers.

Parker should start. It's just about Patty getting more minutes and sotuationally ending games. I'd like to see Patty play 14 minutes of the available 24 every half.

spurraider21
10-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Parker should start. It's just about Patty getting more minutes and sotuationally ending games. I'd like to see Patty play 14 minutes of the available 24 every half.i mean with Pau being able to step out and hit 3's as opposed to Duncan's broken jumper last year, there is more spacing for parker... so there's that. I'd like to have some games where Pop is willing to play mad scientist and experiment longer minutes for Laprovittola or even Murray to see how they might fare also

Chinook
10-28-2016, 03:59 PM
I think the issue with Danny is that he's perfect for what they need. The reality is that the need Green's floor spacing and blue collar mentality more than anything else. Danny plays hard and competes without having offensive touches. If you want him to get a rhyhtm you better get him some good shots, but he can play over 20 minutes easily of a very competitive game and only come out with 2 shots and yet have impacted the game positively. With Kawhi in this ball dominant offensive fashion, and then Tony and Pau there, the 5th guy can't be a guy that needs touches.

In fact, Tony and Pau are looking very weird in fit next to Kawhi and LMA just by virtue of the fact that they require involvement with the ball in specific and particular situations. Danny doesn't... Kyle doesn't either. Where he's failing is that he's not the shooter that Danny is, and again, I hope he snaps out of that funk. He's not going to be Danny but he can shoot when open. He didn't get many open shot opportunities here... but he can't pass up shots if he wants to inspire confidence in teammates. No escaping that.

I do agree that Danny's strengths are best ones to have for his role. And that's why Simmons being better at other things doesn't make up the difference. So if Jonathon could actually show elite three-and-D skills, then his slashing and finishing would be things to put him over the top. I will say, though, that his slashing does actually work out for the bench now that Manu is deferring to him. Ginobili had taken the role of a spot-up shooter on many plays, and that's really good for the offense. It also makes the sets ambidextrous, because you can have Simmons spot up while Manu drives.

For Anderson, last night was the first time this season where I think he played a good game as a role-player. He had some good games in the preseason, but those were with him in a leading role. That he was a tenacious rebounder and made smart defensive plays despite being out of his comfort zone was encouraging, since it makes him more versatile. Now, he needs to keep working on that (sort of like Simmons working on "being solid") while also making sure he's confident enough to step up when he needs to. I'm disappointed, not really with him in general but with him compared to what he should be now. While I do believe he's a good player even considering his unachieved potential, the quartet of Mills, Manu and two of Dedmon, Lee and Bertans may well be better with an aggressive Simmons than a passive Anderson. Dude's going to have to outcompete those guys.

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Simmons doesn't make sense in the starting lineup IMO..his #1 strength is pushing the ball in transition, and his halfcourt game is developing into a Lance Stephenson-type..if he sticks with the bench unit and continues to progress, he'll have a role where he's only behind Manu in usage, and the faster pace of the bench allows him to push the ball in transition more often, too..he's a perfect fit for the hectic nature of the 2nd unit..

If he's in the starting lineup, he would just become a spot-up shooter that wouldn't have nearly as many opportunities to display his aggression IMO..Spurs already have Kawhi/Aldridge that need to eat, Gasol is going to need an increased role as he feels more comfortable, and Parker is what he is(needs the ball to be effective, virtually useless without the ball)..

As for Simmons vs. Kyle, I expect it will play out similarly to last season, a lot of fluctuation..

SAGirl
10-28-2016, 08:30 PM
I do agree that Danny's strengths are best ones to have for his role. And that's why Simmons being better at other things doesn't make up the difference. So if Jonathon could actually show elite three-and-D skills, then his slashing and finishing would be things to put him over the top. I will say, though, that his slashing does actually work out for the bench now that Manu is deferring to him. Ginobili had taken the role of a spot-up shooter on many plays, and that's really good for the offense. It also makes the sets ambidextrous, because you can have Simmons spot up while Manu drives.

For Anderson, last night was the first time this season where I think he played a good game as a role-player. He had some good games in the preseason, but those were with him in a leading role. That he was a tenacious rebounder and made smart defensive plays despite being out of his comfort zone was encouraging, since it makes him more versatile. Now, he needs to keep working on that (sort of like Simmons working on "being solid") while also making sure he's confident enough to step up when he needs to. I'm disappointed, not really with him in general but with him compared to what he should be now. While I do believe he's a good player even considering his unachieved potential, the quartet of Mills, Manu and two of Dedmon, Lee and Bertans may well be better with an aggressive Simmons than a passive Anderson. Dude's going to have to outcompete those guys.
That last aspect could set up a trade opportunity in the future, but it will not happen now bc Manu is 39 years old and you can't send Kyle away when you need wing depth due to that (and when Bertans has a delicate injury history too, it's risky to assume health for guys, or that rookies will not hit a rookie wall like Simmons did last season.) Then next season Manu is likely retiring so that complicates a possible Anderson trade even more, so Pop will find opportunities to develop him like he found those for CoJo. It is early to judge him, he had a slow start last season too, and then loosened up. He's playing a role subbing for a SG, that Pop never said he envisioned for him long term (notoriously said he's either 1, 3 or 4)... while wings are interchangeable, he doesn't have the SG's mentality, probably what inspired Pop's comment. Anyways, I do believe he will be better than he's shown, but it is critical for him that he shoots the 3 more willingly.

GSH
10-28-2016, 08:45 PM
I don't think there's any dilemma, if you're thinking about playoff time, instead of regular season. Danny is the starter, period, and Pop will ride him in the playoffs. Kyle isn't athletic like Simmons, but he plays smarter. And he has been in the system long enough for Pop to give him regular playoff minutes this time around. Simmons is a spark plug. Unless he develops more consistency, he will get spot minutes in the playoffs. Not saying that Simmons can't/won't do that, but as of right now, that's pretty much how it stands, IMO.

Through the regular season? Hell, Pop can do nearly anything, on any given night. It's nothing unusual for him to leave guys on the bench that have been playing very well. Trying to predict what Pop is going to do before the All Star break is just entertainment. You'll think you have it figured out, and then he'll throw a wrench into it. People will start saying, "this guy's in Pop's doghouse".

The bigger question, to me, is whether Bertans will be able to earn playoff minutes by the time they roll around. Most of us think he's got that potential, and that could make some issues in the Anderson/Simmons situation. But he's still a first-year Spur, and he will have to show a lot of savvy for Pop to favor him over Kyle in the playoffs, IMO.

SAGirl
10-28-2016, 09:10 PM
I don't think there's any dilemma, if you're thinking about playoff time, instead of regular season. Danny is the starter, period, and Pop will ride him in the playoffs. Kyle isn't athletic like Simmons, but he plays smarter. And he has been in the system long enough for Pop to give him regular playoff minutes this time around. Simmons is a spark plug. Unless he develops more consistency, he will get spot minutes in the playoffs. Not saying that Simmons can't/won't do that, but as of right now, that's pretty much how it stands, IMO.

Through the regular season? Hell, Pop can do nearly anything, on any given night. It's nothing unusual for him to leave guys on the bench that have been playing very well. Trying to predict what Pop is going to do before the All Star break is just entertainment. You'll think you have it figured out, and then he'll throw a wrench into it. People will start saying, "this guy's in Pop's doghouse".

The bigger question, to me, is whether Bertans will be able to earn playoff minutes by the time they roll around. Most of us think he's got that potential, and that could make some issues in the Anderson/Simmons situation. But he's still a first-year Spur, and he will have to show a lot of savvy for Pop to favor him over Kyle in the playoffs, IMO.
:tu Good points. For the RS, part of the entertaining part of watching it for me is precisely seeing how it all comes together, I loved watching this past season with Anderson, Simmons and Boban developing and bringing different things. Garbage time became some of the most fun garbage team to watch recently, and this season there are the continued development of Anderson and Simmons, plus a lot of new players with untapped potential. It's why I don't say like some: let's just skip to the playoffs. I like to follow everything, from their draft picks to summer league, FA, preseason, the whole thing. I also appreciate team building, this season's growth of Kawhi as the leader. There is a lot to enjoy in the RS. I agree with you, would not surprise at some point we start seeing Bertans, Forbes and others even when ppl have penciled in Lee/Dedmon. There can be schemes in the playoffs that take guys out of the equation, or guys who get exploited (I see Gasol in that possibility). You just never know what may happen, so Pop will develop the whole crew. In perspective, some of the youngest guys are here for another season after this one too and like Simmons who is seeing an increased role and possibly Anderson too, though we don't see it now, some of the rookies may be developed and hit a rook wall to be worked on for season 2 growth. We haven't seen much yet bc this is just starting.

CGD
10-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Life would be easier if slomo bulked up and played at the 4.