PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Thompson doesn't believe Spurs can beat Warriors in a 7-game series

DenialTwist
10-30-2016, 03:00 AM
Found this podcast from former OKC beat writer & new GSW writer Anthony Slater on Soundcloud. He talked about the Spurs 29-point win against the Warriors opening night.

Warriors All 82 Podcast with Anthony Slater and Marcus Thompson
https://soundcloud.com/warriors-all82/warriors-spurs-recap-marcus-thompson
Warriors beat writer, Marcus Thompson says he is "not a believer" in Kawhi Leonard or the Spurs beating the Warriors in the playoffs. He also said the Spurs don't matchup well with Golden State. The PG position, especially.
He said the Spurs don't have enough talent aside from Kawhi, he even asked "who is the #2 & #3 best player?" he doesn't believe Aldridge is good enough. He said all the Spurs do is just execute teams to "death" that's who they are but facing the Warriors is different in a 7-game series. Thompson ends the pod by saying that he "wants to see a team beat the Warriors when they're making shots." He says they won't miss that many three's next time then he predicts they will win 70 games. Slater says 68.
He was right about one specific thing though: the team was better with Parker on the bench. Wonders what they will do about him. Slater says Mills should play more.

Interesting conversation between two Warriors writers. So it sounds like all the Warriors need to do is show up, make three's and not worry about interior defense, rebounding and bench scoring.

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2016, 03:07 AM
Who the fuck is Marcus Thompson, tbh?

Holden_Caulfield
10-30-2016, 03:25 AM
i like it. i dont like being the favorites.

siraulo23
10-30-2016, 03:36 AM

siraulo23
10-30-2016, 03:37 AM
But yes, the dubs should still be the heavy faves if they meet the playoffs

I mean ffs, anything but a ship is an epic failure for gsw

TrainOfThought5
10-30-2016, 04:02 AM

Spur|n|Austin
10-30-2016, 04:22 AM

Robz4000
10-30-2016, 04:39 AM

/thread

spursistan
10-30-2016, 05:50 AM

jhfenton
10-30-2016, 06:23 AM
When you've lost Marcus Thompson....

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2016, 06:46 AM
We lost a Warriors beat writer. Might as well tank

Raven
10-30-2016, 07:11 AM
I don't understand what " I want to see them win when the gsw are making shots".. i mean the whole point of playing D is not to allow that...

NameLess Scrub
10-30-2016, 07:43 AM
I don't understand what " I want to see them win when the gsw are making shots".. i mean the whole point of playing D is not to allow that...

I guess he means when the Ws are making the shots they normally make. Many times it seems they can't be beaten unless they miss many of those.

They made a lot of seemingly bad shots last year, so it makes sense from that perspective.

I also want to see how the illegal screen dinamic works this year. Can they make it work without Bogut?

Overall, they should still be overwhelming favorites. One game isn't supposed to change that.

BillMc
10-30-2016, 07:46 AM

Klay's uncle? :lol

cd98
10-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Is this a radical opinion? I'm yet to hear any professional sportswriter that thinks GSW aren't going to the NBA finals barring injury.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2016, 09:05 AM
There's not any pressure on the Spurs. They aren't the 73-win team that choked away a championship and then signed Kevin Durant, tbh.

Thompson ends the pod by saying that he "wants to see a team beat the Warriors when they're making shots."

For their sake, the Warriors better come up with something better than that if they want to win in the playoffs. Teams that rely on making shots don't win titles.

BillMc
10-30-2016, 09:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0IB-1xJ8s

BD24
10-30-2016, 09:22 AM
A Warriors writer doesn't think the Spurs can beat the Warriors in a 7 game series.

Wow, who would of guessed it.

daslicer
10-30-2016, 09:26 AM
The warriors are going to win a lot of games but I don't see them winning a championship due to the way they are currently constructed. They have two massive holes that can't get fixed outside of making trades. Now that Bogut is gone they have no interior defense and rim protector. I watched the pelicans game the other night and saw guys attack the warriors in the paint easily. There was three straight times where the pelicans scrub guard Frazier was able to drive into the paint and easily score on Zaza. Warriors won that game through offense but they could not get defensive stops against a shitty pelicans team. Draymond without Bogut is getting exposed on the defensive end. They also have no bench. I will be bold and say that with the current roster baring a big trade that the warriors will not get out of the west.

weebo
10-30-2016, 09:43 AM
GSW look like the old Okc teams.

RD2191
10-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Dubs are trash. Flukiest run in NBA history. Spurs in 5. Easy wins imo

SuperCam
10-30-2016, 09:56 AM
warriors arent the problem... the clippers are, tbh

Uriel
10-30-2016, 09:59 AM
He's right, tbh. Then again, no team can beat the Warriors in a 7-game series.

John B
10-30-2016, 10:00 AM
They sacrificed too much signing Durant, when they didn't need more offense. Instead they could have used a Noel or even Dedmon. Now they are trying to justify their error. But I'm sure next season they would find cheap veterans hungry for the ring to fill the hole. But not this year. And itwould be a mistake to feel pressured into winning it all this year, to push them into trading perhaps Thompson mid-season to fix things. This year they get beat in a 7 game series with an athletic big, i.e. Clippers. Or it would be funny if it's OKC. It will not be far fetched.

offset formation
10-30-2016, 12:04 PM
i like it. i dont like being the favorites.

This

Chinook
10-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Didn't you say that last year too?

daslicer
10-30-2016, 12:19 PM
GSW look like the old Okc teams.

OKC had Ibacka's great shot blocking, along with Kanter and Adams. GSW has zero bigs that are of that caliber. Also Wesbrook is a super athlete who can get to the basket at will. GS does not have an athletic rim attacker like Westbrook.

spursistan
10-30-2016, 12:31 PM
What is annoying is that these Warriors media hangers-on (national and beat types) haven't toned down their on-the-cool arrogance even after the worst choke in NBA history given the stakes..

gotta love they are acting that was the Spurs best punch :lol..no Green + Durant/Curry/Raymond basically all getting theirs..

Raven
10-30-2016, 12:35 PM
The warriors are going to win a lot of games but I don't see them winning a championship due to the way they are currently constructed. They have two massive holes that can't get fixed outside of making trades. Now that Bogut is gone they have no interior defense and rim protector. I watched the pelicans game the other night and saw guys attack the warriors in the paint easily. There was three straight times where the pelicans scrub guard Frazier was able to drive into the paint and easily score on Zaza. Warriors won that game through offense but they could not get defensive stops against a shitty pelicans team. Draymond without Bogut is getting exposed on the defensive end. They also have no bench. I will be bold and say that with the current roster baring a big trade that the warriors will not get out of the west.

this

Mr. Body
10-30-2016, 12:45 PM
warriors arent the problem... the clippers are, tbh

Agree. The Clips present a huge problem for the Spurs.

GSH
10-30-2016, 01:12 PM
I guarantee you that he didn't believe the Spurs could beat them by 29 points on opening night, in their house. There's a reason why they make them play the games.

Spur|n|Austin
10-30-2016, 01:15 PM

your schtick is so lame, you sound like a pussy.

Spurtacular
10-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Not bothered. It's a player fan podcast. Would be like listening to apalisco_9 and some other jackass.

hater
10-30-2016, 01:25 PM
Without a decent parker we are not going past round 1 completely agree with that worrier fag

MultiTroll
10-30-2016, 01:33 PM
:lol at this crap that the Warriors are unbeatable.
Lucky to have gotten past OKC.
Year before every fluke break they needed they got, most notably injuries to opponents.

weebo
10-30-2016, 02:01 PM
OKC had Ibacka's great shot blocking, along with Kanter and Adams. GSW has zero bigs that are of that caliber. Also Wesbrook is a super athlete who can get to the basket at will. GS does not have an athletic rim attacker like Westbrook.

I meant it as a 2-man team (Durant/Westchuck; Durant/Curry) with a bunch of good supporting players. Works well during the RS but not so much during the POs.

Mr. Body
10-30-2016, 02:19 PM
First game of the season placed the entire regular season doubt for the Dubs.

james evans
10-30-2016, 02:38 PM
They sacrificed too much signing Durant, when they didn't need more offense. Instead they could have used a Noel or even Dedmon. Now they are trying to justify their error. But I'm sure next season they would find cheap veterans hungry for the ring to fill the hole. But not this year. And itwould be a mistake to feel pressured into winning it all this year, to push them into trading perhaps Thompson mid-season to fix things. This year they get beat in a 7 game series with an athletic big, i.e. Clippers. Or it would be funny if it's OKC. It will not be far fetched.
nahhhhhhhh.:rollin