PDA

View Full Version : Letting Tim Duncan Go: Too Strong To Stop, Too Sweet To Lose

cariocaz
10-31-2016, 09:43 AM
An excellent article! Wow!

http://bballbreakdown.com/2016/10/27/letting-tim-duncan-go-too-strong-to-stop-too-sweet-to-lose/

GSH
10-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Thanks for posting, but I had to quit reading and go get a testosterone injection before I started growing lady parts.

cariocaz
10-31-2016, 01:03 PM
GSH, you will have to interprete what you mean.

The author is a woman but she writes about Tim Duncan and quotes lots of men. So I am confused.

Spurtacular
10-31-2016, 01:06 PM
I hold onto a glimmer of hope that Duncan will come back this season.

Phenomanul
10-31-2016, 01:55 PM
:tu

Phenomanul
10-31-2016, 01:58 PM

Even if he physically and mentally could do so, he technically cannot. The rules of the stretch provision which was used on him would disallow such a comeback - unless it was for another team ('tis my understanding).

Even in a Bizarro-world scenario, I don't think that the Spurs could re-do his contract and swallow up luxury tax dollars retroactively.

GSH
10-31-2016, 03:32 PM

The author is a woman but she writes about Tim Duncan and quotes lots of men. So I am confused.

LOL. Look, I was joking around. (I do that sometimes.) But I have to admit, when she said this bit, it started to feel a little... weird:

So how do we say goodbye? The thought alone is daunting.* I’ve yet to come up with an answer beyond sitting in a dark room listening to “Just Hold Me” by Maria Mena.* I wish I were joking.* The same two lines always get me:

“I can’t remember life without him.* I think I did have good days?”

I'm just guessing here, but I think most guys don't mourn the retirement of Tim Duncan by sitting in a dark room listening to Maria Mena sing "Just Hold Me".
If any of the guys here want to prove me wrong, please feel free to share. :lol

SpursforSix
10-31-2016, 03:56 PM
LOL. Look, I was joking around. (I do that sometimes.) But I have to admit, when she said this bit, it started to feel a little... weird:

So how do we say goodbye? The thought alone is daunting.* I’ve yet to come up with an answer beyond sitting in a dark room listening to “Just Hold Me” by Maria Mena.* I wish I were joking.* The same two lines always get me:

I'm just guessing here, but I think most guys don't mourn the retirement of Tim Duncan by sitting in a dark room listening to Maria Mena sing "Just Hold Me".

Correct. I'll usually play "When September Ends" or "Boys of Summer" while watching my real of TD highlights in slo mo.

tmtcsc
10-31-2016, 03:59 PM
I've been through the George Gervin, David Robinson and Tim Duncan eras. All of 'em. Lots of promise and disappointment filled the first two but things changed when #21 showed up. Ironically, he was the anti-Spur to me after seeing him play. He didn't come up short in the biggest games, he wasn't the lovable loser who played great all season only to get schooled in the playoffs. He was different, he was a winner. Other teams had no answer for him. Teams that once dominated the Spurs (Utah Jazz), were quickly dismissed without a thought. Karl Malone? Nice try. He got one last playoff series victory in before Tim absolutely crushed him for years to come. The invincible Lakers? Worthy foes but the Spurs would hand out their fair share of beat downs.

No, he wasn't a great dunker and didn't fly down the court with amazing speed to make a block. His offensive arsenal didn't include body-contorting shots or sweet finger rolls, but Tim was an intense competitor who placed winning above everything else. More times than not, he elevated his game on the biggest stage. He made his teammates better and never complained when they let him down. Earning MVP awards wasn't good enough. Earning a points title wasn't even a thought. It was all about the Rings with Tim. His career is over now but his presence and legacy will be felt for years. It was time to go. I don't want to see him come back. Why would I? He gave everything he had and did what he said he would do. He played until the wheels fell off.

While other players (eh-hem Kobe), were selfish and concerned about their place in history, Tim created something special and lasting for the franchise. Those who dwell on the past tend not to have much of a future. The Spurs already have the heir-apparent in Kawhi and I'm going to have fun watching him win some more rings.

boutons_deux
10-31-2016, 04:31 PM

both knees are shot

SpursforSix
10-31-2016, 05:02 PM
both knees are shot

and???? He's still a better big man than the starting PG is a PG.

jhfenton
10-31-2016, 06:08 PM
I've been through the George Gervin, David Robinson and Tim Duncan eras. All of 'em. Lots of promise and disappointment filled the first two but things changed when #21 showed up.
:toast Same here. I was 9 when they lost the 3 heart-breaking games to the Bullets in the conference finals in 1979. I suffered through all the Robinson-led losses to the Jazz, seemingly every fracking year. And then TD turned them into champions.

LoneStarState'sPride
10-31-2016, 06:10 PM
Correct. I'll usually play "When September Ends" or "Boys of Summer" while watching my real of TD highlights in slo mo.

"Ol' Man River" or GTFO :lol

DMC
10-31-2016, 06:18 PM
I usually play "I Bet Amy's Back in Austin"

T Park
10-31-2016, 08:06 PM

I wore Tim Duncan shirts and jerseys for two straight weeks and watching old games.

Many tears were shed

tmtcsc
10-31-2016, 10:15 PM
:toast Same here. I was 9 when they lost the 3 heart-breaking games to the Bullets in the conference finals in 1979. I suffered through all the Robinson-led losses to the Jazz, seemingly every fracking year. And then TD turned them into champions.

How about that Lakers loss at home when A-Train couldn't score at the end? It was either 1982 or 1983. They had just won in LA and brought the series back to San Antonio. Of course there was that brutal 7 game series against Portland in Robinson and Elliott's rookie year. The Spurs crushed the Blazers at home and lost two overtime games in Portland. I thought they would be battling for Rings every year. Pffft.

tonight...you
10-31-2016, 10:28 PM
Thanks for posting, but I had to quit reading and go get a testosterone injection before I started growing lady parts.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Props. I might steal that, with your permission...

GSH
10-31-2016, 10:44 PM

I'm want to take a minute to apologize to you. I appreciate people who find articles about the Spurs and share them. And I don't want to piss on anyone who does that.

I'll be honest - the woman's perspective is alien to me. She's talking about dealing with the grief of Tim retiring in a way that doesn't enter my brain. But there a lots of ways of looking at things, I guess, and people who appreciate things that I don't. We all miss Tim, one way or another.

You didn't do anything but find an article about the Spurs and post it. I was joking, but I know a lot of people don't get my sense of humor. It's true that we miss Timmy. I miss seeing him do that ball-hug thing before games, and I miss seeing him wait at the entrance to the tunnel, and high-five all his teammates before going to the tunnel himself. He was a hell of a player, and a hell of a teammate.

But I'm just straight-up apologizing. I was an asshole, and don't let that discourage you from posting things you find about the Spurs. The place is better off with that, than without it.

Now I'm going to see if I can get that testosterone shot from a late-night walk-in clinic.

GSH
10-31-2016, 10:45 PM
I usually play "I Bet Amy's Back in Austin"

And that is some cold-blooded shit right there. :lol

Spurtacular
10-31-2016, 11:32 PM
both knees are shot

One was "shot" for a long time. The other was worsened in the second half of last season. We don't know if rest would've gotten him back to an acceptable point or not. Some are more cynical than me about this; I think with rest and strength conditioning he had one more season left. I think only TD and maybe Pop and Manu knows the full truth of the matter.

100%duncan
11-01-2016, 02:04 AM
:cry

mkurts
11-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Man it felt so weird with no Timmy on opening night

I really wished he'd play another season, make it 20 in a row and win a championship

tenbeersbold
11-01-2016, 04:39 AM
Man he had a good 2 more years left if he would a came off the bench for 12 minutes a night

cariocaz
11-01-2016, 04:42 AM
One thing that I had forgotten about Tim is how he was always encouraging the other players with a pat on the back or an arm around the shoulder. There is probably not anyone on the team who can/will do that now. He really helped bring everyone together and helped everyone feel like part of the team.

Em-City
11-01-2016, 07:25 AM
I've been through the George Gervin, David Robinson and Tim Duncan eras. All of 'em. Lots of promise and disappointment filled the first two but things changed when #21 showed up. Ironically, he was the anti-Spur to me after seeing him play. He didn't come up short in the biggest games, he wasn't the lovable loser who played great all season only to get schooled in the playoffs. He was different, he was a winner. Other teams had no answer for him. Teams that once dominated the Spurs (Utah Jazz), were quickly dismissed without a thought. Karl Malone? Nice try. He got one last playoff series victory in before Tim absolutely crushed him for years to come. The invincible Lakers? Worthy foes but the Spurs would hand out their fair share of beat downs.

No, he wasn't a great dunker and didn't fly down the court with amazing speed to make a block. His offensive arsenal didn't include body-contorting shots or sweet finger rolls, but Tim was an intense competitor who placed winning above everything else. More times than not, he elevated his game on the biggest stage. He made his teammates better and never complained when they let him down. Earning MVP awards wasn't good enough. Earning a points title wasn't even a thought. It was all about the Rings with Tim. His career is over now but his presence and legacy will be felt for years. It was time to go. I don't want to see him come back. Why would I? He gave everything he had and did what he said he would do. He played until the wheels fell off.

While other players (eh-hem Kobe), were selfish and concerned about their place in history, Tim created something special and lasting for the franchise. Those who dwell on the past tend not to have much of a future. The Spurs already have the heir-apparent in Kawhi and I'm going to have fun watching him win some more rings.
:toast