PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker Rant....

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 08:34 AM
I'm not a troll on this board...

I used to defend Tony Parker to an extent...

But his play has been fucking pathetic all season and he's becoming a serious problem going forward if he doesn't pick up his play. I understand he's 34 with miles on the tires but the lack of energy/pace is a fucking disgrace. He's supposed to be the QB of this team and I understand there aren't scoring opportunities like in the past but that's not an excuse for piss poor energy and just going through the motions on both ends to open games.

Manu/Patty/Simmons are perfect examples of players who may struggle but you can never question their effort or pace at which they play. Other players feed off high energy and it maximizes everyone's play..I don't think it's a coincidence the SL has started out slow and the bench typically has to energize the entire team. This even goes back last year...

I honestly don't think Parker enjoys his "new role"..he's never been a true PG and always had a score first mentality...his ball handling and court vision hasn't improved since getting this role. If he doesn't score the energy isn't there..and it pissed me off more than anything watching him get a pep in his step after his buckets. Straight up faggot tbh

The most frustrating part is I dunno how to fix the this...Pop can hope he starts to bring leadership or energy or really send a message to him and the team by benching him. That could obviously become a serious problem and ruin the team chemistry all together or maybe benching him lights a fire under his ass because he will have more scoring opportunities..I dunno tbh and Pop has his work cut out for him.

End Rant

RD2191
11-02-2016, 08:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JSBTl.gif

J_Paco
11-02-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm not a troll on this board...

I used to defend Tony Parker to an extent...

But his play has been fucking pathetic all season and he's becoming a serious problem going forward if he doesn't pick up his play. I understand he's 34 with miles on the tires but the lack of energy/pace is a fucking disgrace. He's supposed to be the QB of this team and I understand there aren't scoring opportunities like in the past but that's not an excuse for piss poor energy and just going through the motions on both ends to open games.

Manu/Patty/Simmons are perfect examples of players who may struggle but you can never question their effort or pace at which they play. Other players feed off high energy and it maximizes everyone's play..I don't think it's a coincidence the SL has started out slow and the bench typically has to energize the entire team. This even goes back last year...

I honestly don't think Parker enjoys his "new role"..he's never been a true PG and always had a score first mentality...his ball handling and court vision hasn't improved since getting this role. If he doesn't score the energy isn't there..and it pissed me off more than anything watching him get a pep in his step after his buckets. Straight up faggot tbh

The most frustrating part is I dunno how to fix the this...Pop can hope he starts to bring leadership or energy or really send a message to him and the team by benching him. That could obviously become a serious problem and ruin the team chemistry all together or maybe benching him lights a fire under his ass because he will have more scoring opportunities..I dunno tbh and Pop has his work cut out for him.

End Rant

Not sure how his ball handling (which was already good) was going to "improve" by changing his role offensively, but you make good points everywhere else. I think Pop and the fans need to give it a little more time before stating this will be Tony "all season."

Tony needs to find his shot (it has abandoned him thus far), build chemistry with Pau, get Danny re-integrated once he returns and just play a better third tier role to Kawhi, LaMarcus and Pau. If he can't accomplish that and continues to suck then sadly his days in San Antonio and as a NBA player are numbered.

Note: It can't an easy adjustment to have once been an elite PG (just 4 years ago) and in a short time become relegated to a 4th option. His defense has been terrible the last few seasons and he was never a great passer (always decent or above average), so now he has very little to fall back on. Sad that he couldn't pick up a lot of the "savviness" that a lot of his former teammates (Timmy, Manu, Brent, Kurt, Horry, etc.) added as they aged.

Richie
11-02-2016, 09:00 AM
He's just a bad defender, I don't think it's a question of effort. In a game where the opposing PG is torching us, he needs to go to the bench

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 09:00 AM
The problem is that this is an ISO team now. Kawhi & Aldridge aren't passers, period. Last night Parker had double the assists of anyone else on the team. He's the only one that can distribute on this squad.

At least when he was the main scorer he also led the team in assists and got the rest of the team involved. That's what made them so great. You didn't know if Parker was going to score on you or kick out for a 3. Kawhi & Aldridge are great scorers, but since they can't/don't pass teams at least know what they're getting, which is why it doesn't hold up for them in the playoffs.

The Spurs were at their peak in 2012-2014 when Parker was the main scorer & distributor. Now Parker is the only passer we have left (Manu has flashes like always, but it's not conisistent). Him talking a back seat in scoring makes him one-dimensional now, but this is what everyone wanted...we'll, here you go.

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 09:03 AM
He's just a bad defender, I don't think it's a question of effort. In a game where the opposing PG is torching us, he needs to go to the bench

Patty Mills isn't a good defender but he's active and picks his match up 90ft almost all the time. It's the pace that Tony plays at which is troubling...just because you're setting up players doesn't mean you can just go through the motions.

Clipper Nation
11-02-2016, 09:05 AM
:lmao at a fan of ENRIQUE PORKER calling any other player out for not passing enough. When Pop has to scream at Kawhi or Aldridge to pass the ball like he has to do multiple times a game with Porker, maybe then you'll have a point.

When Porker was the first option, the Spurs never even sniffed a title. But his player fans would rather go back to the days of Clipperesque first and second round exits than appreciate a player like Kawhi.

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 09:09 AM
There's no excuse for Tony Parker not averaging at least 7assist every night. If you're going to only average 5pts a game you've got to threaten a defense one way or another...

It's total BS the way he's playing the game of basketball and you can't make excuses for him anymore

spurs50_
11-02-2016, 09:09 AM
After 5 games Parker is averaging 5.5 ppg....come on, man

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Tony being aggressive is not shooting mid range pull ups behind the big either...Tony needs to be aggressive attacking the paint and if he wants to score attack the rim and shoot tear drops etc. Attacking the paint should be his #1 priority just like it is for Manu..even though you attack the paint doesn't mean you're looking to score..attack and kick isn't a bad option either lol

J_Paco
11-02-2016, 09:16 AM
:lmao at a fan of ENRIQUE PORKER calling any other player out for not passing enough. When Pop has to scream at Kawhi or Aldridge to pass the ball like he has to do multiple times a game with Porker, maybe then you'll have a point.

When Porker was the first option, the Spurs never even sniffed a title. But his player fans would rather go back to the days of Clipperesque first and second round exits than appreciate a player like Kawhi.

Yes, because in your simple mind 2013 & 2014 never happened........

It is one thing to try to be funny and insulting as a troll, but stating bold faced lies is another.

Shitty "Enrique" wins NBA title as first-option (2014), but Point "God" Chris "Fall" can't even make it to the conference finals......

Tony Parker::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Paul, Westbrook, Nash, Williams: 0

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

tmtcsc
11-02-2016, 09:17 AM
We are only 5 games in to the season and TP looks tired out there. In previous games his shot was hitting the bottom of the rim. WTF is that? I've said it before and I'll say it again, he needs to go. I'm not sure what the Spurs can get in return for him but I am certain of one thing - his time in the NBA is at its end. Any talk of 5 more years is just as ludicrous now as when he first said it.

I've never cared for the guy and I especially think he's irrelevant now. I was confused as to why Pop had him in the game in the 4th quarter. He looks more spent than a 39 year old Manu.

Clipper Nation
11-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Yes, because in your simple mind 2013 & 2014 never happened........
Duncan's resurgence + Kawhi taking over = 2013 and 2014, in spite of Porker.

spursistan
11-02-2016, 09:22 AM
One of those instances you wish we had a cutthroat type of GM like Danny Ainge so he would Pierce/Rondo him while he sill has a modicum of value as HOF/star name..The team has officially moved on to another era, and Manu for 1-year is enough to bridge that transition..

If Parker had another wind in his career, he would have already shown it last season after the epic level embarrassment of his Clippers series..He is TOSB-level of Done..

RD2191
11-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Porker ranked 39th in apg:lol

J_Paco
11-02-2016, 09:25 AM
We are only 5 games in to the season and TP looks tired out there. In previous games his shot was hitting the bottom of the rim. WTF is that? I've said it before and I'll say it again, he needs to go. I'm not sure what the Spurs can get in return for him but I am certain of one thing - his time in the NBA is at its end. Any talk of 5 more years is just as ludicrous now as when he first said it.

I've never cared for the guy and I especially think he's irrelevant now. I was confused as to why Pop had him in the game in the 4th quarter. He looks more spent than a 39 year old Manu.

Do you relieve the amount of basketball he's played at just 34 years old? He has the legs of a 38, 39 year old when you include regular season, postseason and international play. His decision to play so much has had a detrimental effect on the end of his career. No one to blame but himself, really.

Tony should have given up international play 4 or 6 years ago, but continued to play and piled up more miles on the odometer. Now, he is a shell of himself and looks like his career could be over....

I'm still holding out a little bit of hope that he's "pacing" himself, but that isn't very likely.

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 09:30 AM
How can anyone defend a player on this board who's putting up 5pts 4asst on 33% shooting as a starting PG on a top team in the NBA?

That's unacceptable

J_Paco
11-02-2016, 09:30 AM

You are fucking stupid, man. Parker was an All-NBA award winner and MVP candidate in 2013. That was probably the best season of his career.

He led the team in scoring and was still a important factor offensively in 2014, but that is when the decline began to be completely honest.

playbonner15
11-02-2016, 09:35 AM
coasting tbh:wakeup

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 09:39 AM
coasting tbh:wakeup

That's the type of excuse and mentality that pisses me off...you don't coast to start the season...

J_Paco
11-02-2016, 09:40 AM
How can anyone defend a player on this board who's putting up 5pts 4asst on 33% shooting as a starting PG on a top team in the NBA?

That's unacceptable

After his complete tailspin/nosedive to end last season and decision to (once again) play in the summer this outcome was inevitable. Tony was never a guy that took being in tip, top shape serious and I never took him as a "gym rat."

So, his lack of conditioning, his decision not to rest over the summer, the general mileage on his body plus wear and tear has added up to the player we see today. His fall from grace is as sad as Iverson's (IMO) because neither learned to adapt (sufficiently enough) to their body's gradual decline.

Or in other words: they relied too much on their ungodly speed & quickness, but never appropriately adapted once that went away.

Russo21
11-02-2016, 09:43 AM
5.5ppg, 4.0apg, 2.0rpg, 0.3spg, 33%FG, 5.2PER He must be the worst starting PG in the NBA by far right?

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 09:46 AM
After his complete tailspin/nosedive to end last season and decision to (once again) play in the summer this outcome was inevitable. Tony was never a guy that took being in tip, top shape serious and I never took him as a "gym rat."

So, his lack of conditioning, his decision not to rest over the summer, the general mileage on his body plus wear and tear has added up to the player we see today. His fall from grace is as sad as Iverson's (IMO) because neither learned to adapt (sufficiently enough) to their body's gradual decline.

Or in other words: they relied too much on their ungodly speed & quickness, but never appropriately adapted once that went away.

Or he can just act like he gives a shit play with a purpose and take his new role seriously and maximize himself by doing so..

It's pretty fucking simple tbh..he's supposed to set up his teammates and become a past first pg right? He even named dropped John Fucking Stockton as a model he wants to play by..with that being said Tony should want to average career high in assist as his individual goal. But nah....

GSH
11-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Water is wet. I hate that fucking water.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:08 AM
2014 Spurs All-Stars: Tony Parker
2014 Spurs All-NBA Players: Tony Parker
2014 Spurs RS Scoring Leader: Tony Parker
2014 Spurs RS Assist Leader: Tony Parker
2014 Spurs Playoff Scoring Leader: Tony Parker
2014 Spurs Playoff Assist Leader: Tony Parker
2014 Spurs Finals Scoring Leader: Tony Parker

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Some of us noticed his decline start in the second half of 14'

Screw his PPG he averaged during that run when he stat padded points in lopsided victories and vs. Barea/ Calderon in 1st round.

He was 8th -12th in every advanced stat that playoff run.

9th on the team in VORP - Value over replacement player

12th on the team in DRPM - Defensive Points Per 100 Possessions a Player contributed over a League- Average Player, translated to an average team -- His DRPM was -1.3.

11th on the team in ORPM- Offensive Points Per 100 Possessions a Player contributed over a League- Average Player, translated to an average team -- His OPM was 0.00.

13th on the team in Win Shares Per 48 -- at a whopping .071

8th on the team in PER at 15.8

12th on the team in BPM -- At - 1.2

His hero balling in game 6 and 7 of the Finals in 13' was a big reason for the loss in 13'. Same for 15'. Same for 16'. The guy has been declining for a long while now. Last year the Tony Parker of old would show up once every 10 games but that wasn't good enough.

It's time for the Spurs to move on. If they can move on from Avery Johnson, surely they can move on from Tony. Let's see if Pop has the stones to do it.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:14 AM

That's unacceptable
Actually this board has wanted him to play less and less of a role for years. Now he is and you guys hold it against him. I would expect nothing less from people who don't hold logic in high regards.

J_Paco
11-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Or he can just act like he gives a shit play with a purpose and take his new role seriously and maximize himself by doing so..

It's pretty fucking simple tbh..he's supposed to set up his teammates and become a past first pg right? He even named dropped John Fucking Stockton as a model he wants to play by..with that being said Tony should want to average career high in assist as his individual goal. But nah....

Tony wasn't going to become Stockton, Kidd or Paul overnight no matter how much he hoped to be or said he would be. Those players just have level of court-vision and passing skill that Tony will never, ever possess.

He can pick his spots better and try to remain a threat on offense. That doesn't mean having "tunnel vision" for entire possessions, but playing off of Kawhi, LaMarcus and Pau better. Obviously, losing Timmy (and their chemistry together), trying to integrate Pau and taking a backseat to Kawhi/LaMarcus has effected his game.

That being said, 5.5 PPG & 4 APG is completely unacceptable even at his declining standards. The next few weeks will say a lot about if he has anything left or if this is it for Parker as a NBA caliber player.

You know Tony sucks when the likes of Tim Frazier (15.3 PPG & 9.3 APG) and Ish Smith (10.8 PPG & 7.5 APG) are putting up better numbers. Pathetic......

:vomit::vomit::vomit:

bklynspursfan
11-02-2016, 10:16 AM
The problem is that this is an ISO team now. Kawhi & Aldridge aren't passers, period. Last night Parker had double the assists of anyone else on the team. He's the only one that can distribute on this squad.

At least when he was the main scorer he also led the team in assists and got the rest of the team involved. That's what made them so great. You didn't know if Parker was going to score on you or kick out for a 3. Kawhi & Aldridge are great scorers, but since they can't/don't pass teams at least know what they're getting, which is why it doesn't hold up for them in the playoffs.

The Spurs were at their peak in 2012-2014 when Parker was the main scorer & distributor. Now Parker is the only passer we have left (Manu has flashes like always, but it's not conisistent). Him talking a back seat in scoring makes him one-dimensional now, but this is what everyone wanted...we'll, here you go.

Agreed... I still think once Green comes back he can be more spread out and start taking more 3's once the defense collapses or Kawhi/LMA/Pau are doubled. I'd really like to see how that starting 5 operates once the spacing improves a bit with Green's return.

People love to hate the guy on here, it's hilarious. He isn't getting traded unless he requests one, I think it's that simple.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:17 AM

Screw his PPG he averaged during that run when he stat padded points in lopsided victories and vs. Barea/ Calderon in 1st round.

12th on the team in DRPM - Defensive Points Per 100 Possessions a Player contributed over a League- Average Player, translated to an average team -- His DRPM was -1.3.

11th on the team in ORPM- Offensive Points Per 100 Possessions a Player contributed over a League- Average Player, translated to an average team -- His OPM was 0.00.

His hero balling in game 6 and 7 of the Finals in 13' was a big reason for the loss in 13'. Same for 15'. Same for 16'. The guy has been declining for a long while now. Last year the Tony Parker of old would show up once every 10 games but that wasn't good enough.

It's time for the Spurs to move on. If they can move on from Avery Johnson, surely they can move on from Tony. Let's see if Pop has the stones to do it.
Just out of curiosity...who led the team last year in those advanced stats? Boban.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:18 AM

Thankfully Tony never became a career loser like Stockton or CP3 or Westbrook.

MultiTroll
11-02-2016, 10:20 AM
That photoshop of Pop n Bonner in wedding ceremony.
Can we get one with Pop n Parker?

bklynspursfan
11-02-2016, 10:21 AM
After 5 games Parker is averaging 5.5 ppg....come on, man

So people complain when he shoots too much, then complain when his ppg is low? He's taking 6 shots per game, and shooting at a very low 33%. There is like 0 chance his % stays that low. This isn't the first season he's come out the gates slow, give him a month or so to get his legs under him.

He is only playing 5 more mpg than Patty, so it's not like Pop is playing him big minutes either. This is the most iso dominant team he's probably played on since prime TD. It's going to be an adjustment. But he's handling it well overall.

We already knew what his defense was the last few years, it is what it is at this point. But again, not having Green out there hurts them overall too.

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2016, 10:24 AM
To the idiots finding the excuse, " well its his lesser role."

The only value he had on the team was his offense. Even when he tries to be aggressive offensively in spots, he's incapable of executing because he no longer has the ability. It's not his lesser role, its his inability to be effective when he tries on the offensive end.

At the same time, the offensive end is only half of the game. In the other half of the game, on defense, the guy is atrocious. There's no positives with him playing. He brings zero to the team besides his name and resume. Unfortunately his name and resume don't mean a damn thing to the success of the team in 2016/2017.

Respect what he's done for this team during the greatest era that we'll ever see, but that time is gone. Stop holding on.

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Just out of curiosity...who led the team last year in those advanced stats? Boban.

Boban didn't play in the playoffs. Boban is irrelevant and he saw limited minutes and a lot of those minutes were in mop up duty during the regular season.

Those stats I pointed out where from the playoffs in a big starting role in the 2014 playoff run.

Cute try though.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:28 AM

The only value he had on the team was his offense. Even when he tries to be aggressive offensively in spots, he's incapable of executing because he no longer has the ability. It's not his lesser role, its his inability to be effective when he tries on the offensive end.

At the same time, the offensive end is only half of the game. In the other half of the game, on defense, the guy is atrocious. There's no positives with him playing. He brings zero to the team besides his name and resume. Unfortunately his name and resume don't mean a damn thing to the success of the team in 2016/2017.

Respect what he's done for this team during the greatest era that we'll ever see, but that time is gone. Stop holding on.
The "idiots" you're talking about are Pop & RC, who aren't overreacting morons. "Oh no! We lost one game! We went two years without winning a championship! Blow it up! Rebuild! (2013) Trade Manu! (2015) Trade Parker! We could never win with them!"

I wonder why Peter Holt never put you guys in the front office.

J_Paco
11-02-2016, 10:28 AM

I remember TiMVP bringing this point up - about how speed/quickness based PG's decline rapidly in their early 30's - way before other people in the fanbase latched on to the narrative. It became an important part of people's shtick at the time and Tony's declining play fed into it.

Not sure what kick y'all get out of constantly attempting to discredit his importance to 2013 and 2014. (LMAO that his "heroballing" lost game 6 when he put the team in positon to win, but they came up a rebound short.)

As if Avery Johnson was anything more than a marginal, if not bad, NBA starting PG. He benefitted (likely many say Tony has with Tim) by playing on one of the greatest defensive frontcourts ever (in 1999) and spoon feeding easy assists to a freak athlete like David (prior to '98). He was never, ever the talent Tony is/was and is only remembered fondly by Spur fans (that forget he was an undersized journeyman).

It is easy to get past a mediocre player, but it is usually hard, if not impossible, with HOF talent. Ask the Chicago Bulls, Utah Jazz, Brooklyn/New Jersey Nets and countless other franchises.

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:29 AM
TP is just a terrible pg. He's never been a true pg, more of an undersized sg. And while he is taking less shots he's still giving us absolutely nothing else.

SASdynasty!
Boban didn't play in the playoffs. Boban is irrelevant and he saw limited minutes and a lot of those minutes were in mop up duty during the regular season.

Those stats I pointed out where from the playoffs in a big starting role in the 2014 playoff run.

Cute try though.
Boban didn't play in the playoffs?

tmtcsc
Actually this board has wanted him to play less and less of a role for years. Now he is and you guys hold it against him. I would expect nothing less from people who don't hold logic in high regards.

No one said anything about less and less production when he is on the floor. The thought was that he play less of an offensive role and be more of a distributor. Now he's playing less time and just being putrid. Terrible defense, lack of interest and poor shooting. He looks lost now.

Poolboy5623
11-02-2016, 10:31 AM
Its pretty simple really. His speed is gone, and he doesn't have a consistent shot. He sucks, but the Spurs made that bed and are now sleeping in it.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:32 AM
TP is just a terrible pg. He's never been a true pg, more of an undersized sg. And while he is taking less shots he's still giving us absolutely nothing else.
Crazy how a "terrible" PG is the winningest player in NBA history and continues to win as the starting PG while doing what PG's do...lead their team in assists EVERY YEAR (except for guys like Curry, Irving, etc.)...while also leading his team in scoring for a large part of his career (something most point guards don't do).

bklynspursfan
11-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Why are people idiots for saying that it's his lesser role? The respect (or lackthereof) on this board is absolutely pathetic lol. People can't have discussions or debates without folks getting disrespectful.

His FGA and USG both have been on the decline the last few years, so it's obvious they are moving away from him and have been for some time now. He shot 42% & 41% respectively from the 3 the last 2 years. He will still have the ball some and as we saw last night can knock down the mid range and finish around the rim. But his role will be to try and get other guys open looks (he has ran the Pick & Pop w/Pau & LMA successfully several times), and hopefully once Green gets back, they can both knock down shots from the corner.

He's a capable 3 point shooter, with poor defense at this point. (he's not the only one of those in the league either) Him being relegated to a spot up shooter with occasionally handling the ball is not the worst thing in the world like people make it seem.

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:33 AM
If the only good thing you can say about your starting of is "he's shooting less" then you're probably screwed.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Its pretty simple really. His speed is gone, and he doesn't have a consistent shot. He sucks, but the Spurs made that bed and are now sleeping in it.
Sucks to be sleeping in the bed of winning a championship every 4 years on average and winning 67 games and this year being off to the best start in franchise history.

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2016, 10:35 AM
The "idiots" you're talking about are Pop & RC, who aren't overreacting morons. "Oh no! We lost one game! We went two years without winning a championship! Blow it up! Rebuild! (2013) Trade Manu! (2015) Trade Parker! We could never win with them!"

I wonder why Peter Holt never put you guys in the front office.

Where did I say blow it up? Where did I say rebuild. Where did I ever say trade Manu?

I'm saying Parker is done. And the excuse for his play because of his lesser role is laughable.

Nice side step to my response about Boban being irrelevant compared to Parkers' 14' stats btw...

Try harder.

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Yeah, tp is the sole reason why he's the winningest pg in history. I'm sure playing next to a top 5 player and the goat coach had nothing to do with it. Some delusional fucks on this forum. :lol

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:37 AM
How many rings would Duncan have with Nash or Kidd as his pg? :wow

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:37 AM
If the only good thing you can say about your starting of is "he's shooting less" then you're probably screwed.
Sorry that's the only thing good you can say.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Yeah, tp is the sole reason why he's the winningest pg in history. I'm sure playing next to a top 5 player and the goat coach had nothing to do with it. Some delusional fucks on this forum. :lol
Why isn't Duncan the winningest player then?

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Where did I say blow it up? Where did I say rebuild. Where did I ever say trade Manu?

I'm saying Parker is done. And the excuse for his play because of his lesser role is laughable.

Nice side step to my response about Boban being irrelevant compared to Parkers' 14' stats btw...

Try harder.
Sorry you can't see the connection. I use Boban to show that advanced stats are completely flawed because they "show" that Boban was our best player last year (RS & Playoffs)...by far.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:42 AM
I don't know, you tell us how many rings those career losers would have in an alternate universe. Probably 24...dream big if we're just making up hypotheticals.

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Why are people idiots for saying that it's his lesser role? The respect (or lackthereof) on this board is absolutely pathetic lol. People can't have discussions or debates without folks getting disrespectful.

Wasn't pointed towards you, it was pointed to the Tony Parker troll.

If you feel that insecure about it then I guess you agree w/ him which is your opinion. You're not an idiot though.

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:43 AM
I say at least 8 imo TBH

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:45 AM
What I love about Parker is how he gets benched at the end of closeout games so his backup can take over.

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Sorry you can't see the connection. I use Boban to show that advanced stats are completely flawed because they "show" that Boban was our best player last year (RS & Playoffs)...by far.

Again, Bobans' playoff stats were meaningless because he never played but 1 appearance in the meat of the games. He was a victory cigar or a plug in when Spurs threw in the white flag.

Try harder.

spursistan
11-02-2016, 10:48 AM
I want to believe in this team, and I think they could sneak in back to the Finals if one Curry/Durant is diminished by health issues, but shit is so demoralizing knowing that he is our starting PG..

As Kawhistorm said in the other thread, the only way the Spurs are getting past Gsw/Clips is if Manu+Patty roll it back to the 2014 Finals form to make up for his suckiness..

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:50 AM
I say at least 8 imo TBH
Hahahaha 8 rings in the modern era. Well I guess that is a dream because it's never actually happened!

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:51 AM
What I love about Parker is how he gets benched at the end of closeout games so his backup can take over.
Same with Duncan but in G6 of the Finals. Same with Ginobili...oh wait, he is the backup.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Again, Bobans' playoff stats were meaningless because he never played but 1 appearance in the meat of the games. He was a victory cigar or a plug in when Spurs threw in the white flag.

Try harder.
That's the point! He's a garbage-time bench player, which translates to an advanced stat god!

J_Paco
11-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Who the fuck knows. That is hypothetical bullshit which has no basis in reality.

How many championships would Timmy have with Kobe, McGrady or Vince Carter? How about Timmy with Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing or Malone?

See how I can play that stupid game, too. The reality is he made it to six NBA Finals with either Manu, Tony and/or David at his side and won 5 times.

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Remember that time Parker wasn't trash?

Me either! :lmao

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:54 AM
How many rings would Parker have without Duncan? How many would Duncan have without Parker? Parker probably zero. Duncan at least 6 or 7.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:55 AM
I want to believe in this team, and I think they could sneak in back to the Finals if one Curry/Durant is diminished by health issues, but shit is so demoralizing knowing that he is our starting PG..

As Kawhistorm said in the other thread, the only way the Spurs are getting past Gsw/Clips is if Manu+Patty roll it back to the 2014 Finals form to make up for his suckiness..
2014 Playoffs:

Parker: 17/6 on 50%
Ginobili: 12/4 on 47%
Mills: 10/2 on 46%

Hoepefully Ginobili and Mills can get back to those stellar numbers!!!

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Remember that time Parker wasn't trash?

Me either! :lmao
Remember when Duncan outplayed Lebron in the Finals like Parker did in 2007? Me neither.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:56 AM
How many rings would Parker have without Duncan? How many would Duncan have without Parker? Parker probably zero. Duncan at least 6 or 7.
Parker would probably have 6 or 7 if he played for the Lakers his entire career. But we don't live in that universe.

Spurs9
11-02-2016, 10:57 AM
I kinda want to change my username tbh

RD2191
11-02-2016, 10:58 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7508/16060065321_6c0021cba3_b.jpg

Guess who?

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 10:59 AM
I kinda want to change my username tbh
Why don't you change your team while you're at it? Might have to wait for the next bandwagon to come through though.

RD2191
11-02-2016, 11:01 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/71/01/f0/7101f0aa70d229cf495ce07717fb392a.jpg

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 11:04 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/71/01/f0/7101f0aa70d229cf495ce07717fb392a.jpg
The team leader in assists is the ball hog. Interesting logic...seems to be on par with the rest of your thinking.

TheDoctor
11-02-2016, 11:06 AM
RIP Head of the Snake tbh

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4OrWvnzQZT8/TsVvuKdd8vI/AAAAAAAAAE8/Ug6gO_SkKKs/s1600/diddy4bt.png

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/2567507/tony-parker-o.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/3tP640VlCaZi0/giphy.gif

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/5626690922611730_52db38b65286215d3ba4d4c7845a521ea 802445daf25619be5e68ada35b876b5_:original

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2733655/parkershot.gif

http://q9ajg3m8r764ux2l1qldhv3k5.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Parker-Duncan.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tony-parker-hilarious-awful-what-in-the-world.gif

Nathan89
11-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Spurs should make a trade for Patrick Beverley tbh. Parker is a third string pg in this league.

bklynspursfan
11-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Wasn't pointed towards you, it was pointed to the Tony Parker troll.

If you feel that insecure about it then I guess you agree w/ him which is your opinion. You're not an idiot though.

Ah.. Well thanks for that :toast

There's lots of trolls, so I'm not sure who it was in reference to. Not insecure about it either, I just know I said something similar to what you were saying in reference to the "idiots". I just think a little healthy debate is good sometimes without the name calling, but I get it . People on here are trolls.. the arguments aren't sound either, sometimes by either side.

I can appreciate good discussion

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 11:11 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4OrWvnzQZT8/TsVvuKdd8vI/AAAAAAAAAE8/Ug6gO_SkKKs/s1600/diddy4bt.png

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/5626690922611730_52db38b65286215d3ba4d4c7845a521ea 802445daf25619be5e68ada35b876b5_:original

http://q9ajg3m8r764ux2l1qldhv3k5.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Parker-Duncan.gif

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tony-parker-hilarious-awful-what-in-the-world.gif
Lol he literally just did that spin move last night.

MultiTroll
11-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Sucks to be sleeping in the bed of winning a championship every 4 years on average and winning 67 games and this year being off to the best start in franchise history.
1 Championship in the last 9 years.

RD2191
11-02-2016, 11:15 AM

Lol that last one

RD2191
11-02-2016, 11:16 AM
1 Championship in the last 9 years.

I wonder who was the "team leader" during those years? The head of the snake?

elemento
11-02-2016, 11:43 AM
I don't hate TP as much as my fellows here so I'll give my thoughts on Parker

TP is struggling because he simply can't play the "passive role" as he ages. Parker is a natural attacking the basket and scoring, that's his mindset for basketball.

He knows how to run the plays that Pop wants ( + Pop doesn't have another reliable option other than Manu), but he was never a plus defender and he is not a natural playmaker. To make things worse, the league is stacked in terms of PGs.

To a lesser extent, it's the same problem of Kyle Anderson. Kyle Anderson is totally ineffective playing the passive role/off the ball and he is an overrated playmaker. He is slow defending most perimeter players and he is not a great shooter. Bad combination to play off the ball in the Spurs system.He came to the NBA as a natural/willing passer, but the more I watch him, the more I believe he is actually score-first player that needs the ball on his hands to be effective.

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Again my biggest concern with Tony is the way he's playing with ZERO energy or pace. He literally looks uninspired and sometimes just lost as in he doesn't know how to impact games. He never pushes the ball up court in transiston consistently and is just constantly going through the motions....His entire offensive game has been those midrange pull ups behind the big...he doesn't put pressure on the defense anymore and as a PG that's your job!!!!

Tony is playing so bad and is so ineffective..either attack the paint or sit the fuck down..Nico could actually do a better job with the way Tony is playing and I'm dead fucking serious

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Lol that last one
The good thing about that free throw of course (in reality) was that the ref blew it dead, which is why he held it back. Then of course they gave it to him again and he made it to give the Spurs the lead.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Again my biggest concern with Tony is the way he's playing with ZERO energy or pace. He literally looks uninspired and sometimes just lost as in he doesn't know how to impact games. He never pushes the ball up court in transiston consistently and is just constantly going through the motions....His entire offensive game has been those midrange pull ups behind the big...he doesn't put pressure on the defense anymore and as a PG that's your job!!!!

Tony is playing so bad and is so ineffective..either attack the paint or sit the fuck down..Nico could actually do a better job with the way Tony is playing and I'm dead fucking serious
You guys really love to live in hypothetical land. "Nico could do better!" "I could do better!"

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 12:20 PM
You guys really love to live in hypothetical land. "Nico could do better!" "I could do better!"

I'm being serious. If Tony is going to continue to walk the ball up and hand off the ball to Kawhi and LA and just watch...yes Nico could possibly be better on that role..

I don't need Tony to score but I do need him to be aggressive..if you can't comprehend what that means..basketball isn't for you.

SASdynasty!
11-02-2016, 12:26 PM
I'm being serious. If Tony is going to continue to walk the ball up and hand off the ball to Kawhi and LA and just watch...yes Nico could possibly be better on that role..

I don't need Tony to score but I do need him to be aggressive..if you can't comprehend what that means..basketball isn't for you.
Maybe if you don't see the value Pop & RC still do in Parker starting, basketball isn't for you.

Russo21
11-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Maybe Tony is just depressed cause Timmy isn't on the roster for the first time in his career

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Maybe if you don't see the value Pop & RC still do in Parker starting, basketball isn't for you.

Oh I see why. Read my OP...

There's a risk moving him to the bench.. Due to his ego/ never being a bench player plus losing Patty 3pt shooting. But if the SL continues to struggle with energy and slow starts of going through the motions...you best believe Tony will be the one going to the bench.

apalisoc_9
11-02-2016, 12:35 PM

:lmao

Spurs9
11-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Why don't you change your team while you're at it? Might have to wait for the next bandwagon to come through though.
I've been a Spurs fan since I moved here in 96 tbh. Parker used to be my favorite player, but honestly the team looks more disjointed when hes on the court. As soon as I see Mills come in I can expect a run of some sort, Spurs should trade him while he still has some value for another team, although they will never do it since hes part of the "big 3". Since hes still on the roster Pop will always start him and it will end up hurting us negatively.

San Antonio Slayer
11-02-2016, 02:26 PM
May be it's time to trust Pop and go play basketball in the gym?

houston spurs fan
11-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Lol, he's an old 34 and he's pacing himself. This reminds me of the TD is too old and sucks threads around 2009. For those expecting to see 2008 TP he's not coming back...

tonight...you
11-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Who would ST rather be their starting PG, if given no other choice?? Parker, or Kyle? Honest question begets honest answers:

Snaq O'Meal
11-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Who would ST rather be their starting PG, if given no other choice?? Parker, or Kyle? Honest question begets honest answers:

Mills tbh.

SAGirl
11-02-2016, 04:13 PM
There's no answer. Though I have been dissappointed on both dudes, at least for Tony one has to hope he catches a rhythm. When Danny gets back, he will at least cover for Tony on defense like he has the past few seasons, that by itself will help.

We might have to let Pop figure this one out. There are no easy answers short of an unrealistic hypothetical trade. Pop might have to start testing his rookies too so there may be rest games coming up. Wait and see is my approach... Mills is a possibility but I'd rather play Lapro than Tony in the bench TBH....

tonight...you
11-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Mills tbh.
Not the question, Captain Cop-Out.

tonight...you
11-02-2016, 04:27 PM
There's no answer. Though I have been dissappointed on both dudes, at least for Tony one has to hope he catches a rhythm. When Danny gets back, he will at least cover for Tony on defense like he has the past few seasons, that by itself will help.

We might have to let Pop figure this one out. There are no easy answers short of an unrealistic hypothetical trade. Pop might have to start testing his rookies too so there may be rest games coming up. Wait and see is my approach... Mills is a possibility but I'd rather play Lapro than Tony in the bench TBH....

I asked a simple question and nobody wants to give a simple answer. Typical Americans... In this realm of hypothetical, who would you choose? C'mon... play with me.
Alberto Einstein played with thought puzzles often, which brought him to his most important theories. Let's go.

Mikeanaro
11-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Lol at the excuse Porker will be better when Green comes back, both are done and we are extremely lucky having such a stacked team... excepting TPork and DGreen.

SAGirl
11-02-2016, 04:54 PM
I asked a simple question and nobody wants to give a simple answer. Typical Americans... In this realm of hypothetical, who would you choose? C'mon... play with me.
Alberto Einstein played with thought puzzles often, which brought him to his most important theories. Let's go.

DUH, obviously Tony but that doesn't make it a good choice.

It's not a very good question as I think Kyle is not a PG... He's more like a forward who looks to pass and lacks aggression with his shooting + he is having an early career crisis with a lack of positional identity, not helped in matters by his coach playing him all over the place... Can he find a niche and get good at it? I hope so for the Spurs, I though Pop would have been all over that but he's again with playing Kyle all over the place. That doesn't make him the PG. I still wish for him and Pop to figure things out.

I am hoping Tony will catch a rhythm too. What happens if he doesn't? Legit question too...

tonight...you
11-02-2016, 04:58 PM

It's not a very good question as I think Kyle is not a PG... He's more like a forward who looks to pass and lacks aggression with his shooting + he is having an early career crisis with a lack of positional identity, not helped in matters by his coach playing him all over the place... Can he find a niche and get good at it? I hope so for the Spurs, I though Pop would have been all over that but he's again with playing Kyle all over the place. That doesn't make him the PG. I still wish for him and Pop to figure things out.

I am hoping Tony will catch a rhythm too. What happens if he doesn't? Legit question too...
Thank you for the direct answer.
For someone that rides on the word of Pop, you don't remember him saying Kyle could play point? Do you not believe him when said that particular soundbite?
Not baiting... I promise. I'm being legit.

TD 21
11-02-2016, 05:00 PM
He looks confused about his role. I was hopeful after the opener that he was going to transition into more of a volume three-point shooter/driver of closeouts/secondary (have Leonard run it on one side and if it yields nothing, immediately swing it to him on the other to attack a defense in mid rotation) pick-and-roll player, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Short of that, I'd rather he be more aggressive and look to turn the corner occasionally on pick-and-rolls. Being unselfish is one thing, but it's to the point where he's putting too much of the creative responsibilities on Leonard's (improved, but he's not James or Harden) plate.

Quietly, Ginobili has been almost as bad though.

FkLA
11-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Do you relieve the amount of basketball he's played at just 34 years old? He has the legs of a 38, 39 year old when you include regular season, postseason and international play. His decision to play so much has had a detrimental effect on the end of his career. No one to blame but himself, really.

Tony should have given up international play 4 or 6 years ago, but continued to play and piled up more miles on the odometer. Now, he is a shell of himself and looks like his career could be over....

I'm still holding out a little bit of hope that he's "pacing" himself, but that isn't very likely.

Duncan never looked this bad even as an actual 40 year old. Manu doesn't look that bad at 39. Neither does MVPau at what 35?

It's Enrique's own damn fault too. He never developed a reliable shot and never enjoyed being a facilitator. The unmotivated fat ass actually thought his speed and scoring would be around till he was 40. Just lol at him making that comment about wanting to play till his late 30s but never developing his game.

dbreiden83080
11-02-2016, 05:09 PM
and it pissed me off more than anything watching him get a pep in his step after his buckets. Straight up faggot tbh

http://replygif.net/i/1443.gif

dbreiden83080
11-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Nash??? Uh no..

And Kidd may have won a few from 04 to 07 but they did anyway. And Kidd got old fast..

sasaint
11-02-2016, 05:19 PM

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Kyle's ship has sailed - at least on the Spurs. Perhaps he can restart his career on a team with a coach that will give him a defined role/position that Kyle can focus on. I wish Pop had just forced him to bulk up and play a stretch-4 before he tried to make him a Diaw replacement. Kyle was never going to have the speed or lateral quickness to be a 3. If Pop had just forced him to be a stretch-4 all the other tricks in his bag would have been nice embellishments - not the core. I think Pop piled the guy's plate a little too high. He may never had made it, but his chances seem to be diminishing on this team. Maybe he can restart someplace and become a Beno-like journeyman.

sasaint
11-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Nash??? Uh no..

And Kidd may have won a few from 04 to 07 but they did anyway. And Kidd got old fast..

Actually Kidd seemed to age rather well - becoming a 3-point threat, making a transition that many hoped Tony would duplicate.

SpursforSix
11-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Duncan never looked this bad even as an actual 40 year old. Manu doesn't look that bad at 39. Neither does MVPau at what 35?

It's Enrique's own damn fault too. He never developed a reliable shot and never enjoyed being a facilitator. The unmotivated fat ass actually thought his speed and scoring would be around till he was 40. Just lol at him making that comment about wanting to play till his late 30s but never developing his game.

Fucking this. He didn't start working on his shot until well into his career. Lazy. He would have been even more devastating early on if he'd had a decent shot. And extended his efficiency as he got slower.

sasaint
11-02-2016, 05:24 PM
He looks confused about his role. I was hopeful after the opener that he was going to transition into more of a volume three-point shooter/driver of closeouts/secondary (have Leonard run it on one side and if it yields nothing, immediately swing it to him on the other to attack a defense in mid rotation) pick-and-roll player, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Short of that, I'd rather he be more aggressive and look to turn the corner occasionally on pick-and-rolls. Being unselfish is one thing, but it's to the point where he's putting too much of the creative responsibilities on Leonard's (improved, but he's not James or Harden) plate.

Quietly, Ginobili has been almost as bad though.

Or not so quietly...

DenialTwist
11-02-2016, 05:33 PM
The fact that Pop had to yell at Tony to pass the ball is telling. It's embarrassing for TP as a veteran of the team to act like that in front of the new players and rookies. He looks very disengaged on court. It's obvious he doesn't like the new role and still thinks he is an elite pg. If he had a better three point shot he could play more off ball but his shot has lost him. He lost his quickness and can't drive and kick out to shooters anymore. Don't even get me started on his defense, it's horrific. Pop is protecting Parker's legacy and he will retire a starter. The Spurs NEVER had any contingency plan to replace him and it will take years for Murray to develop. Not sure why they didn't go after another star pg last summer instead of hitching on the Durant train. The Spurs pg position and depth is an issue and will be against the top teams. CP3, Lillard, Curry, Kyrie will have a field day. Spurs can't expect Kawhi or Danny to bail TP out every game because he is a defensive liability. That's why I don't think the Spurs can make it past the Clippers or Warriors in the playoffs. Guard play is vulnerable. This is a PG-driven league and Spurs have been lacking in that department for awhile now.

SAGirl
11-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Kyle's ship has sailed - at least on the Spurs. Perhaps he can restart his career on a team with a coach that will give him a defined role/position that Kyle can focus on. I wish Pop had just forced him to bulk up and play a stretch-4 before he tried to make him a Diaw replacement. Kyle was never going to have the speed or lateral quickness to be a 3. If Pop had just forced him to be a stretch-4 all the other tricks in his bag would have been nice embellishments - not the core. I think Pop piled the guy's plate a little too high. He may never had made it, but his chances seem to be diminishing on this team. Maybe he can restart someplace and become a Beno-like journeyman.
I agree. To be fair to Pop, he didn't come in easy to figure out and 20 year old guys can project as something at a very young age and never quite achieve it. Some NBA players don't figure out a niche in their first NBA team either. It takes them longer and the right team or situation to play to their potential.

I do think Pop has tried to place him in spots he can succeed at but he didn't decide on that early. And right now, he's playing a role that the team needs due to their lack of wing depth, not necessarily a role that's good for him. I think he ended up a wing bc Spurs needed wing depth for example and this season they have a better stretch 4 prospect in Bertans.

It might be better that he be traded but I doubt it happens. If he's not playing well he won't have trade interest and the Spurs need the depth bc of their wing situation, Manu being 39 years old and Bertans having been fragile so far for his young career. So considering he's still on the Spurs and they need him to survive the RS, I still want him to do well. He's still young enough to turn his career around but the positional existential crisis doesn't help matters... except to feed trolling.

FkLA
11-02-2016, 05:45 PM
No need to sign a star PG. The Spurs already have a starting PG on the roster who would probably give a hometown discount. His handles and courtvision aren't the best out there but he's a willing team player. That goes a long way imo. I also have no doubt that he can be an efficient 15 ppg guy. He has no problem getting buckets in international ball despite having to shoulder a heavier load and garnering more attention from defenses.

Harry Callahan
11-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Avery was roughly the same age as Tony is now when his Spurs playing career ended in 2001 (I think). Time waits for no one and it looks like Tony is at the point of not being good enough anymore to play at a high level for a significant stretch of games.

It happens to them all. Point guards in particular lose that 5th gear and its over.

I would not be surprised if this is TP's last year in SA. I think Manu might outlast him here as a bench contributor.

dbreiden83080
11-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Actually Kidd seemed to age rather well - becoming a 3-point threat, making a transition that many hoped Tony would duplicate.

No he didn't. By 2008 he was declining fast. Spurs won 2 titles during the following 4 years when they could have signed Kidd. He was 35 by the end of those 4 years and declining. Tony played consistent and well until really last year..

Snaq O'Meal
11-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Fucking this. He didn't start working on his shot until well into his career. Lazy. He would have been even more devastating early on if he'd had a decent shot. And extended his efficiency as he got slower.

Can't really call Parker "lazy." He did work hard on certain things in the offseasons. Like running his own team, playing for his national team, cutting albums, etc.

FkLA
11-02-2016, 05:53 PM
No he didn't. By 2008 he was declining fast. Spurs won 2 titles during the following 4 years when they could have signed Kidd. He was 35 by the end of those 4 years and declining. Tony played consistent and well until really last year..

Are you stupid? Kidd was widely considered the 2nd or 3rd best player on the 2011 Mavs.

Diego20
11-02-2016, 05:56 PM
TP shouldn't play more than 15-18 minutes per game.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2016, 05:58 PM
:lol this reminds me of 2014-2015 SpursTalk, tbh..although it's like 70% of the forum on the bandwagon, rather than just Apo, dabom and I being reported to the mods every day for anti-Parker threads and :(ruining the forum:(

Tony has been finished for a few seasons, tbh..this is old news..it hasn't bothered me since the 2015 playoffs, though, as I learned to accept it a long time ago..at some point, you just have to stop criticising the victim of Father Time, and allocating the blame to the coach instead..

dbreiden83080
11-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Are you stupid? Kidd was widely considered the 2nd or 3rd best player on the 2011 Mavs.

Widely considered by who? Nobody was taking him over Tony in 2011. Not even his haters on ST.

sasaint
11-02-2016, 06:02 PM
The fact that Pop had to yell at Tony to pass the ball is telling. It's embarrassing for TP as a veteran of the team to act like that in front of the new players and rookies. He looks very disengaged on court. It's obvious he doesn't like the new role and still thinks he is an elite pg. If he had a better three point shot he could play more off ball but his shot has lost him. He lost his quickness and can't drive and kick out to shooters anymore. Don't even get me started on his defense, it's horrific. Pop is protecting Parker's legacy and he will retire a starter. The Spurs NEVER had any contingency plan to replace him and it will take years for Murray to develop. Not sure why they didn't go after another star pg last summer instead of hitching on the Durant train. The Spurs pg position and depth is an issue and will be against the top teams. CP3, Lillard, Curry, Kyrie will have a field day. Spurs can't expect Kawhi or Danny to bail TP out every game because he is a defensive liability. That's why I don't think the Spurs can make it past the Clippers or Warriors in the playoffs. Guard play is vulnerable. This is a PG-driven league and Spurs have been lacking in that department for awhile now.

I agree with everything you said except the "Durant train" bit - insofar as it affected the team's ability to acquire a FA upgrade at PG. The Spurs had limited cap space and had two real needs: a big to replace Timmy and a PG upgrade. They chose the "big" last off-season. The Durant train would have done nothing except deplete the Spurs as it has the Dubs. That was just a Quixotic quest for a delusional PATFO. The only way the Spurs could have filled the need for both an upgrade at PG and replacement for Tim was via trade. Wasn't going to happen - and less than 0.01% chance of it happening this season. To me it looks like the Spurs are waiting until next season to really mount a true championship assault.

FkLA
11-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Widely considered by who? Nobody was taking him over Tony in 2011. Not even his haters on ST.

By anyone that watches basketball? And I'm not sure what him not being as good as a young Enrique has to do with him not aging well.

dbreiden83080
11-02-2016, 06:12 PM
By anyone that watches basketball? And I'm not sure what him not being as good as a young Enrique has to do with him not aging well.

It's sad how so many around here devalue the career of Tony, while they worship Manu to no end. Ridiculous quite frankly..

DeRozan m8
11-02-2016, 06:28 PM
He's just too fucking selfish and has too much ego.

I've never seen a player give less fucks for his team mates.

SpurPadre
11-02-2016, 06:29 PM
When I saw the title of this thread I thought for a second that TP had a postgame rant talking about how he needs to be the focal point in order for the team to win...and then thought better of it, lol. He has said dumb things before but he knows his limits.

FkLA
11-02-2016, 06:34 PM
It's sad how so many around here devalue the career of Tony, while they worship Manu to no end. Ridiculous quite frankly..

Are you intentionally trying to talk about anything other than the reason I quoted you? You said Kidd didn't age well. That's not true. All this other stuff you're rambling about has nothing to with that.

dbreiden83080
11-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Are you intentionally trying to talk about anything other than the reason I quoted you? You said Kidd didn't age well. That's not true. All this other stuff you're rambling about has nothing to with that.

He didn't. Tony was better for longer after 2003. Not hard to understand. Kidd had about 4 more prime or near prime seasons. Tony was in his prime when Tim passed his. By 2011 Tony was their best player and the Spurs won 61 games. You think if Kidd was on this team in 2011 anyone here would have been pleased? Not a chance.

james evans
11-02-2016, 07:26 PM
I'll give it to SASDynasty. Even when he knows his favorite player is washed up/finished, he sticks by him. Gotta respect that loyalty.

gilmor
11-02-2016, 07:41 PM
He has to go.. CP3 has to replace him

SAGirl
11-02-2016, 07:53 PM
I'll give it to SASDynasty. Even when he knows his favorite player is washed up/finished, he sticks by him. Gotta respect that loyalty.
To be fair we are discussing him now, though there is a lot if discussion about his accomplishments and debate, they are idle talk to the current situation.

PopTheGOAT
11-02-2016, 08:05 PM
8776659 (tel:8776659)[/URL]]The problem is that this is an ISO team now. Kawhi & Aldridge aren't passers, period. Last night Parker had double the assists of anyone else on the team. He's the only one that can distribute on this squad.

The Spurs were at their peak in 2012-2014 when Parker was the main scorer & distributor. Now Parker is the only passer we have left (Manu has flashes like always, but it's not conisistent). Him talking a back seat in scoring makes him one-dimensional now, but this is what everyone wanted...we'll, here you go. I'll just leave this here. If Kawhi ran point he'd lead the team in assists.

https://youtu.be/Tm5p3lvThYM

I'm not calling for Kawhi to run point, but against teams w/ elite PGs that TP/Patty can't handle, it might not be a bad idea.

Slippy
11-02-2016, 08:38 PM
:lol this reminds me of 2014-2015 SpursTalk, tbh..although it's like 70% of the forum on the bandwagon, rather than just Apo, dabom and I being reported to the mods every day for anti-Parker threads and :(ruining the forum:(

Tony has been finished for a few seasons, tbh..this is old news..it hasn't bothered me since the 2015 playoffs, though, as I learned to accept it a long time ago..at some point, you just have to stop criticising the victim of Father Time, and allocating the blame to the coach instead..
Was thinking the last 5 min against the jazz where it was clear as day that they were targeting tony on offence. What was pops rational for leaving Tony out there ? Does he want Tony to learn the hard way that he is the weaklink on defense. As a coach its easier to let things play out when dealing with a player such as Tony Parker perhaps?

diego
11-02-2016, 08:49 PM

false

VORP- boban 9th, leonard 1st
BPM- boban 3rd, leonard 1st
WS/48- boban 1st, leonard 2nd
PER- boban 2nd, leonard 1st

in another post you said leonard was the best player last year, seems like those advanced stats back that up.

and if you were to simply qualify for 20+ mpg or playing in all games (considering boban played all of 6 mpg), leonard easily comes out 1st in every category. that said, its a damn shame pop didnt use boban more last year, especially against okc.

coachmac87
11-02-2016, 08:56 PM
I called the Sports Grind today on Ticket 760 and gave my 2 cents about Tony. They were pretty much talking about the same things I've noticed and even said he looks uninterested...

And then they asked me about Tony Romo lol

DenialTwist
11-02-2016, 09:06 PM
I called the Sports Grind today on Ticket 760 and gave my 2 cents about Tony. They were pretty much talking about the same things I've noticed and even said he looks uninterested...

And then they asked me about Tony Romo lol

What else did they say about the Spurs and Tony on Ticket 760? Can you please elaborate? Thanks

Snaq O'Meal
11-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Was thinking the last 5 min against the jazz where it was clear as day that they were targeting tony on offence. What was pops rational for leaving Tony out there ? Does he want Tony to learn the hard way that he is the weaklink on defense. As a coach its easier to let things play out when dealing with a player such as Tony Parker perhaps?

There may be some truth in that.

Mikeanaro
11-03-2016, 12:21 AM
TP playing is worse than the new NBA website layout.

vander
11-03-2016, 02:25 AM
If he continues to play this bad, he has to start thinking about retirement right?

mkurts
11-03-2016, 03:30 AM
Parker had his highlights and maxed his prime like Tim did.

Tony did have a great career prior to 2012 but no longer

He needs to gracefully retire like Tim after this season, or he is a giant douche

spursparker9
11-03-2016, 07:09 AM
2007 and 2013 was his peak...

TheDoctor
11-03-2016, 07:37 AM
He has to go.. CP3 has to replace him

:lobt2:

eric365
11-03-2016, 07:57 AM
I don't have my league pass yet so I only saw the Spurs-Warrior game.

But, do you remember the last time we saw Tony running to the other side of the floor with 2 screens to hit an open Jumper? Me neither.
The guy is a scorer. And he needs screens, PNR, shooters in the corners etc... to perform.

I understand it's Kawhi & LMA time now. So put Tony on the bench with the system he need or don't play him at all.
And like I already said in another thread he should just retire at the end of the season at this point

TheDoctor
11-03-2016, 08:29 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bb4Fm3RIYAAmk1z.jpg:medium

trypldubl
11-03-2016, 08:40 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bb4Fm3RIYAAmk1z.jpg:medium

WAP = What A Porker

dabom
11-03-2016, 09:06 AM
TP playing is worse than the new NBA website layout.

That shit is cancer. :lol

SASdynasty!
11-03-2016, 10:07 AM

He needs to gracefully retire like Tim after this season, or he is a giant douche
Hahahaha what?!? Prior to 2012? He finished 5th in MVP voting in 2012 and 6th in 2013. Those were arguably the best years of his career! He was still an All-Star and All-NBA player in 2014 and finished 12th in MVP voting while leading the Spurs in scoring & assists throughout the regular season and playoffs. Prior to 2012 only? Lol, what?!?

SASdynasty!
11-03-2016, 10:16 AM
false

VORP- boban 9th, leonard 1st
BPM- boban 3rd, leonard 1st
WS/48- boban 1st, leonard 2nd
PER- boban 2nd, leonard 1st

in another post you said leonard was the best player last year, seems like those advanced stats back that up.

and if you were to simply qualify for 20+ mpg or playing in all games (considering boban played all of 6 mpg), leonard easily comes out 1st in every category. that said, its a damn shame pop didnt use boban more last year, especially against okc.
Advanced stats:

2016 Regular Season:

TS% - Boban 1st
WS/48 - Boban 1st
PER - Boban 1st (check your source again)
BPM - Boban 3rd

Playoffs:

TS% - Boban 1st
WS/48 - Boban 1st
PER - Boban 2nd
BPM - Boban 3rd

This is what I mean by I don't care about advanced stats.

11-03-2016, 10:49 AM
I don't understand the Tony haters. They begged him to handle the ball less the last couple years and now that he does they complain still. :lol

SASdynasty!
11-03-2016, 10:58 AM
I don't understand the Tony haters. They begged him to handle the ball less the last couple years and now that he does they complain still. :lol
I have a theory that if Parker shot 100% from the field, averaged 15 assists, and went the whole season without a turnover, they would find some advanced stats that show him as not being productive enough.

diego
11-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Advanced stats:

2016 Regular Season:

TS% - Boban 1st
WS/48 - Boban 1st
PER - Boban 1st (check your source again)
BPM - Boban 3rd

Playoffs:

TS% - Boban 1st
WS/48 - Boban 1st
PER - Boban 2nd
BPM - Boban 3rd

This is what I mean by I don't care about advanced stats.

Original post was about playoffs, never mentioned ts %, and you said boban lead the team in all the stats when in fact it was only 1, ws/48. You are an obtuse faggot for insisting on comparing a guy that played 6MPG in 7 of 10 playoff games with the rest of the rotation players that played 20+.

You're within your right to disagree with advanced stats (lol Mr. Trust in pop and the FO when every Single front office including the spurs uses them), you are not free to make shit up, only stat Boban lead the team in last playoffs was ws/48

K...
11-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Tim actually had a ungrateful exit. It's a testament to his status as the GOAT that it was graceful, but Tim was literally abused by Adams and kanter. He retired due to injury after seeing his stats go down.

The whole "Parker is an jerk" ignores that it's the coaches job to allocate minutes, and two well known gifs aside, Tony isn't sabotaging the team. There's been a shambolic order of events that have led people to infer Tony is a jerk, but his popularity with other players has always been a huge rebuttal to that claim.

For me, there's no way the NBA allows you to assemble perfect teams. The spurs pg problem is the warriors big man problem, or the clippers bench problem. The respect for players is one of the main advantages of the spurs. We are not a big money franchise. If you don't appreciate the players now, how will you act when San Antonio goes through rebuilding?

Side argument...is the Tony Parker drama really an issue with the male sensitivity at growing older? There seems to be a consistent correlation between Parker haters personalities and their positions. Life sucks, get over it.

SAGirl
11-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Tim actually had a ungrateful exit. It's a testament to his status as the GOAT that it was graceful, but Tim was literally abused by Adams and kanter. He retired due to injury after seeing his stats go down.

The whole "Parker is an jerk" ignores that it's the coaches job to allocate minutes, and two well known gifs aside, Tony isn't sabotaging the team. There's been a shambolic order of events that have led people to infer Tony is a jerk, but his popularity with other players has always been a huge rebuttal to that claim.

For me, there's no way the NBA allows you to assemble perfect teams. The spurs pg problem is the warriors big man problem, or the clippers bench problem. The respect for players is one of the main advantages of the spurs. We are not a big money franchise. If you don't appreciate the players now, how will you act when San Antonio goes through rebuilding?

Side argument...is the Tony Parker drama really an issue with the male sensitivity at growing older? There seems to be a consistent correlation between Parker haters personalities and their positions. Life sucks, get over it.

What I bolded is a great point. :tu

gambit1990
11-03-2016, 01:20 PM

What I bolded is a great point. :tu

i'm fine with not having a perfect team. just don't want parker on it.

SAGirl
11-03-2016, 01:33 PM

i'm fine with not having a perfect team. just don't want parker on it.And we can clearly see why... still while he's in the team I hope he catches a rhythm. That doesn't make me a Tony fan TBH.

SAGirl
11-03-2016, 01:53 PM
http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-west/san-antonio-spurs/tony-parkers-terrible-start-cause-concern-spurs/]

34-year-old Tony Parker has been really, really bad. Like, worst-starting-point-guard-in-the-league bad.
Through four games (TP has already gotten Gregg Popovich’s trademark rest treatment in one contest), Parker has put up career lows in points per game, true shooting percentage, assist percentage and PER, along with a career-worst turnover percentage. San Antonio is getting outscored by 11.4 points per 100 possessions (http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612759/players/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=1) when he’s on the floor, which is a worse net rating than any of the other regulars on the squad by more than 10 points per 100 possessions.
He’s simply getting dominated on both ends by his matchups, which have been a pretty standard cross section of the league’s point guards (Stephen Curry, Ty Lawson, Goran Dragic and George Hill):
http://d3d2maoophos6y.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/11/03002640/Screen-Shot-2016-11-03-at-4.26.12-PM.png

Article goes into a lot of detail about his stats, etc.... don't want to copyright problems, but he goes into some detail, then he comes down to ask that old gambit ironic question: what does he do?

So if Tony is not getting to the rim and hardly creating any offense on his bread-and-butter play, why is he still starting and playing 26.5 minutes per game? It’s a valid question.
If you’re a low-usage offensive player, which Parker has become in the wake of Kawhi’s emergence, you’d better be providing either solid defense (like Andre Roberson or Tony Allen), dangerous three-point shooting (Channing Frye or Kyle Korver) or some of both (Patrick Beverley). Parker is doing neither, which makes it difficult to justify his position in the Spurs’ starting lineup.

The case is made that Mills should be starting and playing more... it's really nothing we haven't seen or talked about here...

K...
11-03-2016, 01:54 PM

i'm fine with not having a perfect team. just don't want parker on it.

I mean that's cute and all....But if you followed the off season you saw the spurs trying to get rid of Parker and bringing in Conley. Or Durant. We won't get to run simulations of the team with mills, Murray, or Conley as the starting pg so there's only so much to argue about. I won't cry if Parker gets benched, traded, or retires, unlike you and your ilk who cry all the time.

gambit1990
11-03-2016, 02:15 PM
I mean that's cute and all....But if you followed the off season you saw the spurs trying to get rid of Parker and bringing in Conley. Or Durant. We won't get to run simulations of the team with mills, Murray, or Conley as the starting pg so there's only so much to argue about. I won't cry if Parker gets benched, traded, or retires, unlike you and your ilk who cry all the time.
i did follow the offseason. stop acting like you know what the FO was trying to do, you don't know shit.

"you saw the spurs trying to get rid or parker" :lol i fucking wish.

K...
11-03-2016, 02:59 PM
i did follow the offseason. stop acting like you know what the FO was trying to do, you don't know shit.

"you saw the spurs trying to get rid or parker" :lol i fucking wish.

LMAO, we only talked about this for nearly a month. The spurs drafted a pg, last year they traded for one. They auditioned like six d league guys to play pg, they've had Kawhi bring the ball up, they're giving mills more minutes. The FO knows what everyone knows. Finding a pg is easy, finding a championship level one is not.

gambit1990
11-03-2016, 03:07 PM
LMAO, we only talked about this for nearly a month. The spurs drafted a pg, last year they traded for one. They auditioned like six d league guys to play pg, they've had Kawhi bring the ball up, they're giving mills more minutes. The FO knows what everyone knows. Finding a pg is easy, finding a championship level one is not.
this is what you said: "you saw the spurs trying to get rid of parker." that's false.

K...
11-03-2016, 03:09 PM
this is what you said: "you saw the spurs trying to get rid of parker." that's false.

Oh no, a metaphor! .....

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 03:11 PM
So losers finally see the light after 2 years?

I swear to God regular season vanilla mainstream fans are sp fucking late at everything.

MaNu4Tres
11-03-2016, 03:14 PM
http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-west/san-antonio-spurs/tony-parkers-terrible-start-cause-concern-spurs/]

Article goes into a lot of detail about his stats, etc.... don't want to copyright problems, but he goes into some detail, then he comes down to ask that old gambit ironic question: what does he do?

The case is made that Mills should be starting and playing more... it's really nothing we haven't seen or talked about here...

Hell, I'd sign Mario Chalmers right now and start him over Parker.

Wish Parker would pull an Arian Foster or Andre Johnson.. tbh..

SAGirl
11-03-2016, 03:18 PM

Wish Parker would pull an Arian Foster or Andre Johnson.. tbh..I read somewhere some weeks ago Mario is still rehabbing and projected to be available sometime in March... I think it was during the offseason when it was rumored Cleveland and Lebron wanted to recruit him when he's available. He'd fit with Kawhi, plays off the ball, is active on defense, with size, and is capable of hot shooting streaks. We'd have to see how he's come back from his injury.

sasaint
11-03-2016, 03:23 PM

Wish Parker would pull an Arian Foster or Andre Johnson.. tbh..

I didn't even know Mario was available. He has always been a head-scratcher to me. I always thought he was pretty competent and received an unjustified amount of criticism. Trouble is: who do you want to drop to create a roster spot for him?

gambit1990
11-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Oh no, a metaphor! .....
that's not a metaphor :lmao:lmao:lmao

and at first you defended what you said like you meant it as being literal:

LMAO, we only talked about this for nearly a month.

gambit1990
11-03-2016, 03:41 PM
k... said "you saw the spurs trying to get rid of parker."

i called bullshit, he defended it. i called bullshit again... then he said it was a metaphor :lol

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/993/875/084.png
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/993/875/084.pnghttp://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/993/875/084.png

DMC
11-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Too many leaders. KL is the leader. Parker is getting residuals from his earlier sacrifices. Its part of a long standing issue/attribute with the Spurs. Fans appreciate the family mentality but then want streamlining at the same time.

DMC
11-03-2016, 03:58 PM
By the way, the mystique in San Antonio is going to peter out in a couple seasons and people will bail.

vander
11-03-2016, 05:47 PM
By the way, the mystique in San Antonio is going to peter out in a couple seasons and people will bail.

Still winning, still seemingly high character guys filling the roster, no off court issues. If tony gracefully retires and TD joins the FO or even just goes to a lot of games like Robinson...

NameLess Scrub
11-04-2016, 07:41 AM
k... said "you saw the spurs trying to get rid of parker."

i called bullshit, he defended it. i called bullshit again... then he said it was a metaphor :lol

You guys should just make a truce.

If the Spurs are indeed looking for a replacement, that's good.
I guess ideally for them they could bring him off the bench.
But right now they basically have only him as PG, along with an undersized SG, and 2 "might be NBA players" rookies.
Kawhi, as much as he has improved, is still not a point forward they can use like Lebron.

Wildcat67
11-04-2016, 10:20 AM
I take offense to saying Parker is currently a better passer than Kawhi. Most of Tony's assists are coming from simple pick and pops with LA and Aldridge require simple passes within the offense. Meanwhile all of Kawhi's assists are coming from drawing multiple defenders and finding the open man with, a lot of time, a difficult pass.

MultiTroll
11-04-2016, 10:36 AM
I take offense to saying Parker is currently a better passer than Kawhi. Most of Tony's assists are coming from simple pick and pops with LA and Aldridge require simple passes within the offense. Meanwhile all of Kawhi's assists are coming from drawing multiple defenders and finding the open man with, a lot of time, a difficult pass.
Qft

itzsoweezee
11-04-2016, 10:50 AM

The problem isn't Tony. His reduced contributions are expected. The problem is that Popovich is in denial about Tony's ability to contribute. His best role now is probably on the bench, where he can go up against second and third tier players.

Let Kyle or Manu start - guys who can facilitate ball movement and have good size.

gambit1990
11-04-2016, 12:55 PM

K...
11-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Dang, I guess Kawhi is a good player. Gonna have to think about that some.