PDA

View Full Version : Golf

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Anyone here play golf? I just took it up very recently and still play like a hack but I am improving. Just curious as to where you play and what type of clubs you use? I picked up a complete set for $400 to begin with. I will eventually start upgrading but I didn't want to drop $1000 on just one club when I am still figuring out how to use them correctly.

tlongII
11-02-2016, 12:24 PM
I play. But I'm in Portland.

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 12:25 PM
I play. But I'm in Portland.

What do you have?
How long have you been playing?

tlongII
11-02-2016, 12:29 PM
I've been playing for about 30 years. I've got two sets of clubs, both Nike. Graphite shafts as they're a little easier on my back I believe. My newest set is the Nike Vapor Flys. My older irons are Slingshots.

DJR210
11-02-2016, 12:30 PM
I'll beat your ass in some mini golf that's for damn sure

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 12:53 PM
I've been playing for about 30 years. I've got two sets of clubs, both Nike. Graphite shafts as they're a little easier on my back I believe. My newest set is the Nike Vapor Flys. My older irons are Slingshots.

Wow, that's cool.
The very first time I ever played was in a golf tournament lol. I went to drive the cart and drink but the guys we were playing with talked me into giving it a try. I shocked them a few times with the distance and how straight I was able to hit it. A few holes I hit it better than they did. The rest was pretty bad to halfway decent.

I did find that the more I drank the better I got. It was sponsored by a local craft brewery so the beer was flowing.

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 12:58 PM
I'll beat your ass in some mini golf that's for damn sure

Bool sheet

clambake
11-02-2016, 12:58 PM
"golfing is a good walk spoiled"

clambake
11-02-2016, 01:36 PM
ok, about 45 years

Spurminator
11-02-2016, 01:46 PM
I just picked it up pretty recently too. Bought a friend's used clubs for $100, and then bought my own putter and driver.

I'm still not good but my biggest eureka moment came when I started taking a lot of power off my swing and found that the ball was going just as far as when I tried to destroy it off the tee.

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 01:50 PM
I just picked it up pretty recently too. Bought a friend's used clubs for $100, and then bought my own putter and driver.

I'm still not good but my biggest eureka moment came when I started taking a lot of power off my swing and found that the ball was going just as far as when I tried to destroy it off the tee.

That's exactly what I learned. I tried to crush it every time and I have to tell myself to scale it back. I hit my longest drive without trying to obliterate the damn ball.

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 01:51 PM
ok, about 45 years

You've been playing for 45 years?

RGMCSE
11-02-2016, 01:53 PM
I've been playing since I was a kid. So about 21 years. I started playing all the munis. Get a players card from Alamo golf trail. The free rounds pay for the card it self. Munis are so much better maintained than when I was younger. Avoid the quarry if your a beginner. Links style is a killer and you will not enjoy losing ball after all. I've seen it and done it myself on a bad day. Get your self a good set of clubs. About $800 bucks. And learn to play them. I have multiple ping sets my self. Spend on a quality putter and practice hitting everything from 200 yards in. That's the game right there. You only use driver about 12 times so concentrate on making quality contact instead of trying to crush the shit out of it. My buddy has some old ass mizuno blades that are cut short and he fucking mashes and is deadly straight. It's not about the equipment all the time. It's about your swing and practice practice practice. Have fun and don't spend 10 minutes looking for a fucking ball you fuck! Or I'll be getting my shotgun ready and start hunting instead of golfing. :lol

clambake
11-02-2016, 02:03 PM
start with a bucket of balls.

about 8000 buckets.

RGMCSE
11-02-2016, 02:05 PM

about 8000 buckets.

Exactly! Take lee Trevino's approach. Don't learn to play golf on the golf course!

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 02:15 PM
I've been playing since I was a kid. So about 21 years. I started playing all the munis. Get a players card from Alamo golf trail. The free rounds pay for the card it self. Munis are so much better maintained than when I was younger. Avoid the quarry if your a beginner. Links style is a killer and you will not enjoy losing ball after all. I've seen it and done it myself on a bad day. Get your self a good set of clubs. About $800 bucks. And learn to play them. I have multiple ping sets my self. Spend on a quality putter and practice hitting everything from 200 yards in. That's the game right there. You only use driver about 12 times so concentrate on making quality contact instead of trying to crush the shit out of it. My buddy has some old ass mizuno blades that are cut short and he fucking mashes and is deadly straight. It's not about the equipment all the time. It's about your swing and practice practice practice. Have fun and don't spend 10 minutes looking for a fucking ball you fuck! Or I'll be getting my shotgun ready and start hunting instead of golfing. :lol

That's actually some great advice. Thanks.

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 02:16 PM

about 8000 buckets.

Yeah. That's where I'm at right now. I just go to Rolling Oaks and drink a few, hit a few, drink a few, hit a few, repeat, repeat.

RGMCSE
11-02-2016, 02:18 PM
That's actually some great advice. Thanks.

Your very welcome! Sounds like your enjoying your self. That's what it's all about.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-02-2016, 03:06 PM
last golf I played was mini golf at age 16 tbh.

SpursforSix
11-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Yeah. That's where I'm at right now. I just go to Rolling Oaks and drink a few, hit a few, drink a few, hit a few, repeat, repeat.

It's not like you're going to make the tour or something. But it is something you can improve on for most of your life. Take a lesson or two. But find a practical pro. Not one that is going to give you 20 different things to think about on each swing. Take a few lessons. It'll go a long way.

I. Hustle
11-02-2016, 05:32 PM
It's not like you're going to make the tour or something. But it is something you can improve on for most of your life. Take a lesson or two. But find a practical pro. Not one that is going to give you 20 different things to think about on each swing. Take a few lessons. It'll go a long way.

I just plan on having fun with friends. I'm not even taking it that seriously. I just want to play another game where I can drink and do it.

SpursforSix
11-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I just plan on having fun with friends. I'm not even taking it that seriously. I just want to play another game where I can drink and do it.

I get it for sure. I'm in the same place. But instead of going with more expensive clubs, spend $100 on a few lessons.

unleashbaynes
11-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Love golf tbh. Can shoot low 70's on a good day, but mostly stick to the mid and upper 70's. It's all about finding the shafts that are right for your swing.

lil'mo
11-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Anyone here play golf? I just took it up very recently and still play like a hack but I am improving. Just curious as to where you play and what type of clubs you use? I picked up a complete set for $400 to begin with. I will eventually start upgrading but I didn't want to drop $1000 on just one club when I am still figuring out how to use them correctly.
Obese people can swing a club?

I. Hustle
11-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Obese people can swing a club?

No idea. Why? Ask Avante

TheSanityAnnex
11-03-2016, 11:30 AM
I've been playing since I was a kid. So about 21 years. I started playing all the munis. Get a players card from Alamo golf trail. The free rounds pay for the card it self. Munis are so much better maintained than when I was younger. Avoid the quarry if your a beginner. Links style is a killer and you will not enjoy losing ball after all. I've seen it and done it myself on a bad day. Get your self a good set of clubs. About $800 bucks. And learn to play them. I have multiple ping sets my self. Spend on a quality putter and practice hitting everything from 200 yards in. That's the game right there. You only use driver about 12 times so concentrate on making quality contact instead of trying to crush the shit out of it. My buddy has some old ass mizuno blades that are cut short and he fucking mashes and is deadly straight. It's not about the equipment all the time. It's about your swing and practice practice practice. Have fun and don't spend 10 minutes looking for a fucking ball you fuck! Or I'll be getting my shotgun ready and start hunting instead of golfing. :lolEx-collegiate scratch golfer checking in.

To expand on this the majority of your shots in a round are from 100 yards and in. To see the biggest improvement on your rounds practice chipping and putting for 75% of your time.

And to OP---no single club should ever cost you $1000, and a very good used complete set can be found on eBay for sub $500. Stick to the proven brands: Mizuno, TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, etc. All putting out quality clubs now.

My best advice to you is to make friends in the industry to save yourself money. I'm extremely fortunate that my wife is in golf sales and her accounts are all the top end country clubs in San Diego and Los Angeles. Free golf is the best golf. My brother also works for TaylorMade. Free clubs are the best clubs, although I still play my Mizuno blades, don't like anything TaylorMade has at this time.

Enjoy it man it's a great sport. The only two things I do that completely make me forget about work and any problems I'm dealing with are golf and deep sea fishing.

I. Hustle
11-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Ex-collegiate scratch golfer checking in.

To expand on this the majority of your shots in a round are from 100 yards and in. To see the biggest improvement on your rounds practice chipping and putting for 75% of your time.

And to OP---no single club should ever cost you $1000, and a very good used complete set can be found on eBay for sub $500. Stick to the proven brands: Mizuno, TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, etc. All putting out quality clubs now.

My best advice to you is to make friends in the industry to save yourself money. I'm extremely fortunate that my wife is in golf sales and her accounts are all the top end country clubs in San Diego and Los Angeles. Free golf is the best golf. My brother also works for TaylorMade. Free clubs are the best clubs, although I still play my Mizuno blades, don't like anything TaylorMade has at this time.

Enjoy it man it's a great sport. The only two things I do that completely make me forget about work and any problems I'm dealing with are golf and deep sea fishing.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I wasn't going to really drop a stack on a club. The clubs I snagged are Callaway.

So far it's been really relaxing. One guy that I played with recently told me that it doesn't become frustrating until you get really good at it.

TheSanityAnnex
11-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks, man. Yeah, I wasn't going to really drop a stack on a club. The clubs I snagged are Callaway.

So far it's been really relaxing. One guy that I played with recently told me that it doesn't become frustrating until you get really good at it.

Not much better than being on a course with some beers and friends. I used to get pretty frustrated when I was playing collegiate matches a few times a week, now I just laugh at bad shots.

If you want to practice at home grab one of these

http://www.bigmoss.com/The-Original-EX1-_p_113.html

nicest rolling synthetic green by far. I've got this exact model.

I. Hustle
11-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Not much better than being on a course with some beers and friends. I used to get pretty frustrated when I was playing collegiate matches a few times a week, now I just laugh at bad shots.

If you want to practice at home grab one of these

http://www.bigmoss.com/The-Original-EX1-_p_113.html

nicest rolling synthetic green by far. I've got this exact model.

Nice. Thanks

Spur|n|Austin
11-03-2016, 08:29 PM
It's a damn fun game, but also damn frustrating. I've been slowly improving the past 10 years.

In Austin I usually play Bluebonnet, or Blackhawk. Also enjoy River Place, and Forrest Creek though both are tough.

I'm still using the Taylormade 2.0 Burner Irons I bought about 4 years ago, time for some new ones. Taylormade woods too.

Keep at it!

BD24
11-03-2016, 08:45 PM

Yep, the better you get the more pissed off you get. I play better when I just relax and don't worry to much. If you get frustrated you start overthinking everything and start sucking ass.

Spur|n|Austin
11-03-2016, 09:49 PM
My performance when drinking lies on a very thin line. Couple beers = play great; too many beers = shit show.

leemajors
11-04-2016, 05:38 AM
i was scratch in high school, but only play every few years now. i can still shoot in the mid 80s, but it's just not as fun as it used to be for me. if i do play, i swing a weighted club for about 20 minutes a day for a week before i do. my dad tries to use me as a ringer in tournaments sometimes, but one of my high school teammates is the golf pro at his country club and sets me as a 13 handicap no matter how little i play :lol