PDA

View Full Version : OT: I have to admit, I'm really enjoying game 7 of the World Series

lefty
11-02-2016, 09:18 PM
It's helping me fall asleep tbh

Splits
11-02-2016, 09:23 PM
:lol "world"

Killakobe81
11-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Game just got interesting ...Cubs blowing it with some shaky decision making

Killakobe81
11-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Taking out Hendricks early was asinine

BD24
11-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Feel bad for Chapman, that guy is gonna have all of Chicago hating him if they lose this shit.

Robz4000
11-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Feel bad for Chapman, that guy is gonna have all of Chicago hating him if they lose this shit.

Nah, it'll be Maddon. Chapman has been overworked this series.

in2deep
11-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Gordo Ball?

nah, I rather work :lol

sasaint
11-02-2016, 10:47 PM

Shaky?!?! Maddon must be on the take. Pulled all of his pitchers too quickly because he apparently fell in love with an already-overworked Chapman and couldn't wait to get to him. They will hang him in effigy in Chicago. Most poorly managed game I ever saw.

sasaint
11-02-2016, 10:50 PM

Maddon earned every bit of enmity they throw at him. Most poorly managed game I ever saw. Pulled every one of his pitchers too early. Cubs are toast and may be cursed for another 108 years after this debacle.

BD24
11-02-2016, 10:54 PM
As someone who grew up near Chicago and wifes family lives a few miles from Wrigley, that doesn't matter.

They will hate him, Steve fucking Bartman had to move because the ass holes wouldn't leave him alone.

Killakobe81
11-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Now a delay
Great game but I see part of why don't follow it close like I did as a kid ...

apalisoc_9
11-02-2016, 11:01 PM
It's raining :cry..

13 year old soccer players run in worse conditions...the lightning won't hit a baseball player, they never move anyway.

spurraider21
11-02-2016, 11:05 PM
:lol

lefty
11-02-2016, 11:09 PM
It's raining :cry..

13 year old soccer players run in worse conditions...the lightning won't hit a baseball player, they never move anyway.

Thebesteva
11-03-2016, 12:02 AM
I have to be honest...this was the best baseball has to offer and it was very dull. That's great if you like baseball to each their own but God damn its a boring fucking game to watch.

The nerve of Americans to say Futbol is boring but this shit isnt :lol

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 12:44 AM
8-10th innings of this game were more exciting than all combined povertyball games in history.

:lol Tune into the watch the World Cup Final.
:lol Everyone says Messi is supposed to do something amazing
:lol He doesn't even touch the ball
:lol Game was a bus parking fest that predictably ended 1-0

Clipper Nation
11-03-2016, 12:46 AM
I have to be honest...this was the best baseball has to offer and it was very dull. That's great if you like baseball to each their own but God damn its a boring fucking game to watch.

The nerve of Americans to say Futbol is boring but this shit isnt :lol
If you were bored by THAT game, either you're the guy from the Dos Equis ads or you need to lighten up.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 12:48 AM
If you were bored by THAT game, either you're the guy from the Dos Equis ads or you need to lighten up.

He needs to see "swagfag highlights" to be entertained most likely. It's why he probably became a Kirbyfan :lol

Like he said, to each their own, but if you want flashy highlights, go watch a goal sport that isn't soccer.

Thebesteva
11-03-2016, 12:49 AM
8-10th innings of this game were more exciting than all combined povertyball games in history.

Baseball is boring as fucking shit to most people. LOL it was lightly raining so they had to stop the game. It takes forever for something of any interest to happen in baseball. I'm not even a big futbol fan I just enjoy the world cup. Plus arent you the faggots who find MMA to be boring but this is somehow entertaining? LMAO...

Arcadian
11-03-2016, 12:52 AM

:lol Yeah...of the small sampling of both sports that I've viewed, baseball has been generally more entertaining. And I didn't expect to be saying that. I thought I would get more into soccer/football, but...didn't happen. I can watch youtube compilations of footballers doing fancy dribbling shit, but I can't watch an entire match.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 12:54 AM
Baseball is boring as fucking shit to most people. LOL it was lightly raining so they had to stop the game. I'm not even a big futbol fan I just enjoy the world cup. Plus arent you the faggots who find MMA to be boring but this is somehow entertaining? LMAO...

It isn't actually.

MMA is fuckin' garbage. Boxing is the only great combat sport, and I know you're a boxing fan and it's now a fringe sport in the US when it was arguably once the biggest. And guess what? Most "young people" find boxing boring as shit in preference of watching guys roll around on the mat. But MMA delivers the "sick" highlight knockouts where boxing is more technical and deliberate.

I'm on your side in that debate, but it shows you how people have become acclimated to shit.

whitemamba
11-03-2016, 12:54 AM

My hatred for baseball is well documented , and it hurts me to say this, that was a really entertaining game , I was watching it at the gym , and it was exciting , dramatic etc..., truth is idk if it's because of the 3-1 lead, or because of the cubs historic drought, but it was fun to watch. Is that as good as it gets ? I'm sure ratings just blew through the roof. Can baseball offer anything more than this ?

Robz4000
11-03-2016, 12:57 AM
My hatred for baseball is well documented , and it hurts me to say this, that was a really entertaining game , I was watching it at the gym , and it was exciting , dramatic etc..., truth is idk if it's because of the 3-1 lead, or because of the cubs historic drought, but it was fun to watch. Is that as good as it gets ? I'm sure ratings just blew through the roof. Can baseball offer anything more than this ?

It was one of the best games of all time, but there have been plenty of exciting games this postseason alone. Cubs/Giants Game 4 and Rangers/Blue Jays Game 3 come to mind.

Clipper Nation
11-03-2016, 12:58 AM
Playoff baseball is like this every year. That's why people love the sport so much. Hopefully some of the baseball haters who watched tonight can understand what we've been saying all along: the tension that hangs on every at-bat, every pitch, and every ball put in play; the thrill of a clutch hit; the agony of a pitcher melting down - it all adds up to a great sport.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:07 AM

I'm a devoted follower of the top 3 sports leagues and a sometimes follower of the NHL. I used to follow boxing somewhat before all the dodging and controversy. I still follow the World Cup despite my general dislike of soccer (once they fix penalty shootouts, refereeing, and better deal with flopping faggots, I'll be more on board with the sport). I watch the Olympics, Golf, and Tennis.

If you're not a baseball fan to begin with, the sport can bring Jesus back from the dead, and it won't matter. You won't be thrilled with it as much as you would with great games in other sports.

I'm someone who basically likes all the North American sports about equally, and this was a top 5 game I've ever seen in ANY sport.

I'd rank them like this:

Top 5 in no particular order:

Cubs vs. Indians - Game 7

Rangers vs. Cards - Game 6 of the 2011 World Series

18-0 Pats vs. the Giants in the Superbowl

Pats vs. Seahawks in the Superbowl

Douglas knocking out Tyson for the first time

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:19 AM
I didn't list any basketball games because they never really ascend to myth like great baseball and football games in American sporting history due to inconsistent officiating in crunch time, especially during the last 30 or so seconds [ex. The most iconic moment in NBA history was a foul. Jordan pushing off on Russell] and intentional fouls (ending games with a FT competition is pretty anticlimatic).

Game 6 of the 2013 is probably the greatest single game in NBA history, and even that ended with a no-call (Manu was basically tackled by Allen in the last 2.0 seconds in OT). Not complaining. That's the way basketball is called, but dramatic endings in basketball are rarely "pure."

bulakenyo
11-03-2016, 01:27 AM
Great game. Did not grow up playing baseball or even understanding the game rules at all, (only understood some of the strategies and tactics because of baseball manager non-video, all stat games) and honestly regular season games bore me, but playoff games are really really great.

The drama and the suspense was excellent this game 7.

I almost thought Cubs manager blew it by sitting down his starting pitcher a shade too early, but they managed to pull this game out of the fire.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:38 AM
Great game. Did not grow up playing baseball or even understanding the game rules at all, (only understood some of the strategies and tactics because of baseball manager non-video, all stat games) and honestly regular season games bore me, but playoff games are really really great.

The drama and the suspense was excellent this game 7.

I almost thought Cubs manager blew it by sitting down his starting pitcher a shade too early, but they managed to pull this game out of the fire.

You play OOTP?

bulakenyo
11-03-2016, 01:48 AM
You play OOTP?

Yeah, I did for a long stretch, about 2 years was kinda addicted to the game.

All the off season planning, scouting, trading and scheming just for the hopeful success in your club's next 2-6 seasons, was entertaining.

Thebesteva
11-03-2016, 01:48 AM
It isn't actually.

MMA is fuckin' garbage. Boxing is the only great combat sport, and I know you're a boxing fan and it's now a fringe sport in the US when it was arguably once the biggest. And guess what? Most "young people" find boxing boring as shit in preference of watching guys roll around on the mat. But MMA delivers the "sick" highlight knockouts where boxing is more technical and deliberate.

I'm on your side in that debate, but it shows you how people have become acclimated to shit.

Lol mma is boring compared to baseball? You just said that out loud. Your license to post an opinion is officially void

bulakenyo
11-03-2016, 01:56 AM
Lol mma is boring compared to baseball? You just said that out loud. Your license to post an opinion is officially void

I also thought baseball was the most boring sport for years because I never got to play it at all, never understood the rules (had no idea what the strike zone was until I was in my late teens, what was a ball, a strike, etc.)

but once you get to learn it, it becomes interesting, especially if your actively rooting for a team, or in the playoffs.

Same as what I feel with soccer. Club games bore me, but world cup games are amazing. Spain's world cup winning team was so great to watch, almost reminded me of the beautiful game Spurs, some instances.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 02:08 AM

MMGay is boring compared to watching water boil or grass grow.

DAF86
11-03-2016, 02:17 AM
Game 7. Extra innings, a lot of back and forth and I still couldn't force myself to watch more than two throws (which took about 3 minutes of my life. 3 minutes for two throws: a ball, and a foul).

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 02:38 AM
Can't disagree with the op tbh...Tonight by far had the geastest commercials I have ever seen in a sport event. The amazing part about it is that, they Run over 100 commericals...I have never seen a Sport run that many beer, fast food commercials etc in one game and still manage to trot out Convincing and entertaining commercials.

I wish soccer was the same, but they only ever show 3 commericlas in the whole game/program :sad

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 02:43 AM
Can't disagree with the op tbh...Tonight by far had the geastest commercials I have ever seen in a sport event. The amazing part about it is that, they Run over 100 commericals...I have never seen a Sport run that many beer, fast food commercials etc in one game and still manage to trot out Convincing and entertaining commercials.

I wish soccer was the same, but they only ever show 3 commericlas in the whole game/program :sad

And no scoring nor action :lol

(note: I don't count lightly jogging around as "action")

:lmao

http://www.espnfc.us/report?gameId=466200

Kidd K
11-03-2016, 03:14 AM

If that game was played at Chicago and that game winning hit happened in the bottom of the ninth and the game ended instantly (which it would have), there would have been riots in the stands lol. Remember this was actually a road game win for the Cubs too. The crowd would have been 10x louder if they were in Chi town.

The "excitement" for the ending was delayed since road win. . .but yeah a home win for Cubs would have been the "more".

Silver&Black
11-03-2016, 03:16 AM
And no scoring nor action :lol

(note: I don't count lightly jogging around as "action")

http://www.espnfc.us/report?gameId=466200

:lol "drab scoreless tie"

Fans probably talk about all the goals that "we almost scored" the next day.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 03:18 AM

:lmao They usually do.

Thebesteva
11-03-2016, 03:25 AM
MMGay is boring compared to watching water boil or grass grow. Its obviously a matter of opinion but MMA is great. I have been training for years and there is nothing like it. Im a true boxing fan but sadly outside of GGG and Canelo there is nothing to watch. Baseball is notoriously known as the most boring sport next to golf.

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 03:26 AM
Gotta hand it to Micheal Van Gerwen today..He scored 6 180s..:wow

And still managed to keep his beer belly...

Reminds me of that one sport where they chew tobaco..Forgot whats it called...So many scoring..

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 03:37 AM
Its obviously a matter of opinion but MMA is great. I have been training for years and there is nothing like it. Im a true boxing fan but sadly outside of GGG and Canelo there is nothing to watch. Baseball is notoriously known as the most boring sport next to golf.

I'm sure training for it and participating in it is fun/rewarding. I'm talking about watching it. And as a combat sport, it's nowhere near boxing's level.

I've talked about this before in reference to soccer. Punch/Counterpunch is what drives drama in sports. Soccer does this poorly. Basketball does it the most often, but scoring is so easy and frequent, it lessens the drama of any single score until the 4th quarter. Baseball and football strike the perfect balance here. And for a combat sport, nothing can touch boxing in that regard. A good boxing match is better than the best MMA match.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 03:41 AM
Gotta hand it to Micheal Van Gerwen today..He scored 6 180s..:wow

And still managed to keep his beer belly...

Reminds me of that one sport where they chew tobaco..Forgot whats it called...So many scoring..

Darts is also more entertaining than soccer.

Raven
11-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Its obviously a matter of opinion but MMA is great. I have been training for years and there is nothing like it. Im a true boxing fan but sadly outside of GGG and Canelo there is nothing to watch. Baseball is notoriously known as the most boring sport next to golf.

more like, they don't count as sport at all

lefty
11-03-2016, 08:05 AM
:cry no more beisbol

:cry it's the only sleeping aid that works for me

:cry brb gonna download snoozeball games

aussie91
11-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Baseball is the american version of Cricket both so boring I tried to watch game 7 but just ended up switching it on to the Clippers vs Westbrook

RD2191
11-03-2016, 08:38 AM

webshad
11-03-2016, 08:49 AM

So I guess you're not going to watch Kovalev-Ward. You must be out of your mind!!!

Darth_Pelican
11-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Last night's game did a 25.2 tv rating. In comparison, Game 7 of the NBA Finals did an 18.9 tv rating.

lefty
11-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Clippers vs Westbrook

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Last night's game did a 25.2 tv rating. In comparison, Game 7 of the NBA Finals did an 18.9 tv rating.

Damn. That's NFL Championship Sunday numbers.

JoeTait75
11-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Baseball would be a lot more entertaining if the games didn't last so freaking long. Back in the day your average baseball game went two hours, two-and-a-half tops. Now? Three, four hours. I love the sport but it's a tough sell to sit there for that long and watch one of 162 games.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 09:40 AM
And the rain delay is what brought down the overall average ratings. It was peaking at 31.1, which translates into 50ish million viewers :wow

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Baseball would be a lot more entertaining if the games didn't last so freaking long. Back in the day your average baseball game went two hours, two-and-a-half tops. Now? Three, four hours. I love the sport but it's a tough sell to sit there for that long and watch one of 162 games.

One mound visit per inning between the catcher and pitcher. Just have the Manager signal when he wants to replace a pitcher. No warm up pitches on the game mound after a pitching change. They've been warming up for 20 minutes in the pen already. Let's try a hard 20 second pitch clock for a season and see how it works (you run out of time, you're penalized with a ball). Might even add more drama.

All easily fixable, and Manfred has promised that some of these changes are on the horizon.

Clipper Nation
11-03-2016, 09:51 AM

You know how Cubs fans used to wear "Just One Before I Die" t-shirts?

Soccer fans wear "Just Score Once Before I Die" t-shirts.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 09:57 AM

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/56465762.jpg

ambchang
11-03-2016, 10:03 AM
And the rain delay is what brought down the overall average ratings. It was peaking at 31.1, which translates into 50ish million viewers :wow

That 24.3 didn't turn off the TV because they fell asleep

webshad
11-03-2016, 10:04 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/56465762.jpg

Do the same thing with the top picture being "1st INNING" and the bottom being "Beginning of the 9th INNING". :lol

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 10:12 AM

lefty
11-03-2016, 10:16 AM

Do the same thing with the top picture being "1st INNING" and the bottom being "Beginning of the 9th INNING". :lol

webshad
11-03-2016, 10:19 AM
This is an article I read from the Bleacher Report regarding Baseball, just find it funny.

"If you break a sweat in baseball, it means you are suffering from a pharmaceutical side effect, have a thyroid condition, or the Humidex is too high to accommodate pajamas and a belt." :lol :lol

"If you lit a flare in the stands of a baseball stadium, most people would wake up and complain." :lol :lol

"Soccer managers wear sharp suits and smoke on the bench. Baseball managers suit up as if they’re in the starting line-up, despiteguts nearly twice as large as those unsuccessfully processing heavy carbs on the diamond." :lol True I always wondered why the manager suit up as if they were going to play. LOL.

"Soccer games usually last only 90 minutes and, often after a match, exuberant youth do a bit of high-spirited rioting. Three hours of Major League Baseball would be enough to leave even the most boisterous potential hooligan in an existential funk." :lol hahaha

"Unlike soccer, where people are constantly running up and down a vast field, in baseball, the majority of exercise is completed by the fans during the seventh inning stretch." :lol lol

JoeTait75
11-03-2016, 10:29 AM
One mound visit per inning between the catcher and pitcher. Just have the Manager signal when he wants to replace a pitcher. No warm up pitches on the game mound after a pitching change. They've been warming up for 20 minutes in the pen already. Let's try a hard 20 second pitch clock for a season and see how it works (you run out of time, you're penalized with a ball). Might even add more drama.

All easily fixable, and Manfred has promised that some of these changes are on the horizon.

Shouldn't even have to make changes to the rules. It's the same game as it was. Everyone just needs to hurry the fuck up.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 10:31 AM
A smart dude once said, “Soccer is like a war where two countries are fighting each other, yet neither of them has enough ammunition to actually do any damage.” I think that’s the perfect description for it. :lol

Can you imagine re-watching a soccer game on ESPN Classic? “Ohhh—I remember that kick! That was awesome! No one scores for another 45 minutes, but dude–the way that guy kicked the ball 17 feet past the net—he almost had that one!”

I get it—the sport is so fantastic that we’ve played for 120 minutes and we aren’t sure anyone is ever going to score again–so, we need to find some way to end this game before everyone on the field passes out and the fans go rogue and overtake the stadium.

So, let’s take some penalty kicks!

Man, what an atrocious idea.

It’s like deciding the NBA Finals with a free throw shooting contest, or ending an extra inning game in the World Series with a home run derby. It’s like a Mario Party mini-game.

webshad
11-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Can you imagine re-watching a soccer game on ESPN Classic? “Ohhh—I remember that kick! That was awesome! No one scores for another 45 minutes, but dude–the way that guy kicked the ball 17 feet past the net—he almost had that one!”

Honestly, no one really says that.

I get it—the sport is so fantastic that we’ve played for 120 minutes and we aren’t sure anyone is ever going to score again–so, we need to find some way to end this game before everyone on the field passes out and the fans go rogue and overtake the stadium.

Styles make fights. If you watch Italian soccer, they are more defensive. Spanish soccer, more offensive. Same as in Baseball, you can take two good pitchers going at it with the score ending 1-0 after 4 painful hours, lol (which is 2x120 min btw).

Same as dumbasses going to a Mayweather fight expecting a slug fest. Know what you are getting into.

So, let’s take some penalty kicks! Man, what an atrocious idea.

I don't know if that is true or not, but I know the NBA and NFL are notorious at modifying rules almost on a yearly basis. Hockey also introduced penalty shootouts and it's the fastest game of them all (100x faster than Baseball).

Beside, if it wasn't for all the PED in Baseball, I'm sure you can take away 50% of the HR. :lol

lefty
11-03-2016, 10:57 AM
This guy doesn't think beisbol is a sleeping aid; or does he?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/man-slept-yankees-game-sues-10-million-article-1.1857671

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:03 AM
This guy doesn't think beisbol is a sleeping aid; or does he?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/man-slept-yankees-game-sues-10-million-article-1.1857671

LOL and sue happy Americans.

Instead he should sue baseball for being so boring.

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Can you break a sweat chewing tobaco?

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Can you break a sweat chewing tobaco?

In our pyjamas, sure.

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 11:08 AM
In our pyjamas, sure.

Actually, humans produce a lot of sweat in their sleep...Much more than a stale or sedentary awake state..Wouldn't be surprised to know if sleeping burns more calories than seating in your ass for 20 minutes of a 4 hour chewing tobaco game.

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Actually, humans produce a lot of sweat in their sleep...Much more than a stale or sedentary awake state..Wouldn't be surprised to know if sleeping burns more calories than seating in your ass for 20 minutes of a 4 hour chewing tobaco game.

All of you are so silly.

lefty
11-03-2016, 11:16 AM

lefty
11-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Instead he should sue baseball for being so boring.
Beisbolfans?

Rational?

JoeTait75
11-03-2016, 11:20 AM
The one thing I'll admit is silly about baseball is the concept of the closer. Dude comes swaggering out of the bullpen to this real aggressive music, all this anticipation and hype, just to get three stinking outs. It's kind of ridiculous.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Honestly, no one really says that.

He's actually making fun of what soccer fans are likely to breakdown and highlight following a game. And when I watch soccer highlights, it's exactly what they show. Shots sailing 20 feet wide as the skinnyfat twink looks up to the sky. Missed crossed passes in the box.

Styles make fights. If you watch Italian soccer, they are more defensive. Spanish soccer, more offensive. Same as in Baseball, you can take two good pitchers going at it with the score ending 1-0 after 4 painful hours, lol (which is 2x120 min btw).

And those "style clashes" translate into roughly the same amount of goals scored per game across the big leagues.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/european-big-four-leagues-goals-3513388

It literally doesn't matter who is playing. Soccer always devolves into the same predictable 0-0, 1-0, 2-1 borefests.

Look at this crap. Only once in the past 24 years have we seen a game where both teams score a goal. And the game in which they did was a tie :lmao

http://oi67.tinypic.com/4grcb4.jpg

I don't know if that is true or not, but I know the NBA and NFL are notorious at modifying rules almost on a yearly basis. Hockey also introduced penalty shootouts and it's the fastest game of them all (100x faster than Baseball).

Beside, if it wasn't for all the PED in Baseball, I'm sure you can take away 50% of the HR. :lol

None of those rules result in minigames deciding big matches.

Soccer is terribly designed, as I've said here ad nauseum.

Reason it's popular:

Cheap to play.

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:32 AM
The one thing I'll admit is silly about baseball is the concept of the closer. Dude comes swaggering out of the bullpen to this real aggressive music, all this anticipation and hype, just to get three stinking outs. It's kind of ridiculous.

hahahahhahaa hahahaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

definitely needs a name change, the "terminator"

"Well folks, it's finally the bottom of the 9th, and the Yankee Doodles have decided to bring out their terminator".

spursistan
11-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Fat man's Cricket :lmao..

Sports are so much about culture, tbh..or how do you fuckin' explain Volleyball--arguably the most entertaining sport even as non-contact discipline-- hasn't yet taken off professionally in America..It should be the a white man refuge instead of getting pummeled in pro basketball..

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Fat man's Cricket :lmao..

Sports are so much about culture, tbh..or how do you fuckin' explain Volleyball--arguably the most entertaining sport even as non-contact discipline-- hasn't yet taken off professionally in America..It should be the a white man refuge instead of getting pummeled in pro basketball..

American volleyball players are the highest paid actually. Beach volleyball is reasonably popular in some regions. Proper volleyball is a women's sport, as it should be.

Clipper Nation
11-03-2016, 11:44 AM

It's the most mentally difficult job in sports, tbh, so the great closers deserve the hype. It's easy to say that they "just have to get three outs," but if you look at the leverage stats, every run given up by a closer is something like twice as damaging as the average run given up by a pitcher. It's a pressure-cooker situation that most pitchers can't handle.

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:46 AM
It literally doesn't matter who is playing. Soccer always devolves into the same predictable 0-0, 1-0, 2-1 borefests.

So by your logic, anything that finishes 1-0, 2-1, etc is boring? Baseball also has those similar scores over a 4 hour span. So does hockey. So does the NFL if you divide by 7 (i.e. 21-14 --> 3-2).

I suppose FIFA should multiply each goal by 7, then it will be fun in your book lol.

Reason it's popular:Cheap to play.

Agree, but it's also simple. We all like simplicity.

Also the number, you can play a soccer game with 5-5 or 6-6 or 7-7 depending on the size of the field.

From my personal experience, I have watched and played both sports. Soccer is not in the same league as in baseball.

In baseball, I sit on the bench watching and cheering the other guy until it's my turn to hit, talk about slow. Soccer I was always on the move and had to be ready.

In baseball I could eat dinner and not lose a beat. lol

Watching baseball is just atrocious. Soccer I can watch it with friends/families, don't mind.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:51 AM
I will say this, though.

Soccer fans are the most passionate and can make boring matches, which 99.9% of soccer matches are, watchable because of the atmosphere they create. I do understand the chanting was created so soccer fans can keep themselves awake during yet 0-0 tie, but it's a great shtick nonetheless.

FIFA and the big leagues market their stars better than any other sport on the planet. It's amazing how big of stars Messi, Fagnaldo, et al are when they score about 0.70 goals per game and can easily see their touches limited from good defense. Stars in American sports are usually ball dominant, like Lebron, Curry, Quarterbacks, Running backs, and pitchers. Really incredible the following these twinks have when they don't do anything for minutes/games at a time.

I think this is what killed soccer's hype the first time around here. Pele (or any soccer star) were sold as guys who do bicycle kicks, nutmegs, and other silly acrobatic shit every game, and then you tune in, and you see them just lightly jogging around for 85 minutes. Pretty underwhelming.

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I think this is what killed soccer's hype the first time around here. Pele (or any soccer star) were sold as guys who do bicycle kicks, nutmegs, and other silly acrobatic shit every game, and then you tune in, and you see them just lightly jogging around for 85 minutes. Pretty underwhelming.

Again if Americans are that stupid, can't help.

That's like me watching an And1 mixtape then watching the NBA and saying, the NBA is boring.

If people can't use their logic, then so be it.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:57 AM
So by your logic, anything that finishes 1-0, 2-1, etc is boring? Baseball also has those similar scores over a 4 hour span. So does hockey. So does the NFL if you divide by 7 (i.e. 21-14 --> 3-2).

I suppose FIFA should multiply each goal by 7, then it will be fun in your book lol.

Baseball and football were smart enough to incorporate other goals into the sport. A 1-0 game will be exiting because you'll see great pitching. You might see a lot of hits with pitchers working themselves out of jams in key innings. Football has 1st downs, turnovers that are actually exciting, big hits, and other things going to keep you engaged during a low scoring game. 3-2 or 5 scores per game is about 80% higher than the average soccer score of 2.7 goals per game. Don't see your point?

Yes, I know soccer has saves, but when the average shot on goals per match is like 4, you don't get to see many of them. Other than that, soccer is bunch of static midfield play, parking the bus, and the occasional dash through the defense which will probably be called off-sides.

JoeTait75
11-03-2016, 12:00 PM
It's the most mentally difficult job in sports, tbh, so the great closers deserve the hype. It's easy to say that they "just have to get three outs," but if you look at the leverage stats, every run given up by a closer is something like twice as damaging as the average run given up by a pitcher. It's a pressure-cooker situation that most pitchers can't handle.

I have a lot of respect for the classic "fireman" who comes out in the 7th or 8th inning and brings it home. Rollie Fingers, Bruce Sutter, Mariano Rivera in the present day. But then you have someone like Chris Perez who called himself "Pure Rage" and thought he was Billy Badass for getting the last three outs of a 5-2 game. A guy like that kind of personifies the absurdity of the three-out closer.

webshad
11-03-2016, 12:06 PM
A 1-0 game will be exiting because you'll see great pitching. You might see a lot of hits with pitchers working themselves out of jams in key innings.

First "LOL" at exiting!

Not a strong argument. Anyone can make that argument for their sports. I can easily say, well look at Jose Mourinho's tactical change, he changed his formation half-way through the game and it finished 1-0. Which is true by the way.

Anyways, coming from a guy who played and watches (not baseball anymore though especially after the PED scandal exposed all the cheaters) both sports, soccer is my vote hands down. Much more fun to play and it's fun to watch with friends/families.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Again if Americans are that stupid, can't help.

That's like me watching an And1 mixtape then watching the NBA and saying, the NBA is boring.

If people can't use their logic, then so be it.

I don't know if that theory is true or not, just a shot in the dark. And yes, I do agree that modern sports fans in general (not just Americans) are highlight and star obsessed.

My problem with soccer is that it doesn't do anything special compared to what we have in American sports. Not to mention its flawed design, as I've pointed out.

Example:

- You won't sell Americans on the tactical and strategic "depth" in soccer. We have football, which is a far deeper game.

- You won't sell Americans on the "athleticism" of soccer players. They are underwhelming athletically.

- You won't sell Americans on the slow build/score dynamic of soccer. We have baseball for that.

- You won't sell Americans on the "flow" of it. We have hockey and basketball.

Fans across the world are already culturally attached, but soccer tried to become a "thing" here long after those other sports were solidly established in American culture.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 12:17 PM
First "LOL" at exiting!

Not a strong argument. Anyone can make that argument for their sports. I can easily say, well look at Jose Mourinho's tactical change, he changed his formation half-way through the game and it finished 1-0. Which is true by the way.

Anyways, coming from a guy who played and watches (not baseball anymore though especially after the PED scandal exposed all the cheaters) both sports, soccer is my vote hands down. Much more fun to play and it's fun to watch with friends/families.

Changing the formation is not an in game "objective" like a strikeout or double play is in baseball. A save is an in game objective, and most of them are relatively mundane (weak kick easily caught). I do like a great save, though.

Not a strong counterargument.

webshad
11-03-2016, 12:23 PM
You won't sell Americans on the tactical and strategic "depth" in soccer. We have football, which is a far deeper game.

Yet very complicated. People like simplicity. I can take all the girls, mothers, grandmas, and explain them soccer (self-explanatory), but I can't do the same thing with football.

You won't sell Americans on the slow build/score dynamic of soccer. We have baseball for that.

All sports have that, in boxing we have the feeling out round, same in MMA, same in soccer, same in basketball (Popovich and others experiment a lot).

Fans across the world are already culturally attached, but soccer tried to become a "thing" here long after those other sports were solidly established in American culture.

I don't think soccer really wants/need America. It's already great as is. However, for monetary reasons they might want it (but that's a political debate i.e. american dollar). But as for being popular, soccer doesn't need America.

webshad
11-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Changing the formation is not an in game "objective" like a strikeout or double play is in baseball. A save is an in game objective, and most of them are relatively mundane (weak kick easily caught). I do like a great save, though.

Not a strong counterargument.

But it is, the opposing coach will go more offensive or risk when he is down, and the other coach has to counter attack. There is a lot of tactical change and shuffling in soccer that you won't comprehend at this point.

Of course, when you and I play at the park, we just play the simple game, try to stop the ball and try to move it forward.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 12:32 PM
First "LOL" at exiting!

Oh, and here's the beautiful thing about baseball from a playing it standpoint (which you'll probably hand wave away due to some ADD need to run around all the time).

Because you have to "take your turn," ANYONE can be the hero. There's really no strict hierarchy of player importance (because there can't be) that has one player getting all the "touches" offensively (yes, there is a lineup). You'll likely get the same amount of at bats and chances in the field to make a play as the best players on the team. Rajai Davis, a mediocre utility player who's been on like 20 teams, was nearly Cleveland's biggest sports hero of the past 42 years aside from Lebron. And the final at bat for Cleveland came down to a rookie who played in like only 3 games. If he hits a homer there, wow. And a rookie for the Cubs almost closed the game out.

Yes, I know it happens occasionally in other sports. Steve Kerr, John Paxson were unlikely heroes, but the difference is their heroics had to be assisted by the star players. In baseball, it's just you against the pitcher/batter/ball.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 12:37 PM
But it is, the opposing coach will go more offensive or risk when he is down, and the other coach has to counter attack. There is a lot of tactical change and shuffling in soccer that you won't comprehend at this point.

Of course, when you and I play at the park, we just play the simple game, try to stop the ball and try to move it forward.

It's not, brother.

I'm talking about achieving some kind of in game objective. A tactical change isn't an in game objective like a first down, strikeout, etc. In game objectives in soccer would be free kicks, corner kicks, and saves. Soccer doesn't have as many of these as football, baseball, and hockey.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Yet very complicated. People like simplicity. I can take all the girls, mothers, grandmas, and explain them soccer (self-explanatory), but I can't do the same thing with football.

All sports have that, in boxing we have the feeling out round, same in MMA, same in soccer, same in basketball (Popovich and others experiment a lot).

I don't think soccer really wants/need America. It's already great as is. However, for monetary reasons they might want it (but that's a political debate i.e. american dollar). But as for being popular, soccer doesn't need America.

We don't need it, either. Aside from the immigrant population who enjoy the game. And yes, FIFA badly wants the American market which is why soccer has been pushed down our throats since the World Cup came here in '94. And before that, they tried to sell the game to us through Pele.

I'm tired of reading and hearing about how Americans need to embrace "the world's game."

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Americans deulding themselves into thinking baseball is more fun :lmao

webshad
11-03-2016, 12:44 PM
It's not, brother.

I'm talking about achieving some kind of in game objective. A tactical change isn't an in game objective like a first down, strikeout, etc. In game objectives in soccer would be free kicks, corner kicks, and saves. Soccer doesn't have as many of these as football, baseball, and hockey.

It does in a different way. Like how France neutralized "mighty mighty" Ronaldo who was suppose to kill them in the world cup.

In boxing, how the opponent neutralizes your jab by standing slightly outside or coming over the top.

Every sports has their secret tactics that the normal eyes are not trained for.

webshad
11-03-2016, 12:47 PM

:lol You just come in every hour to pour oil on the fire. :lmao

Clipper Nation
11-03-2016, 12:49 PM

Delusional is thinking that a "sport" built around jogging, flopping and 0-0 ties is "fun."

webshad
11-03-2016, 12:52 PM
We don't need it, either.

Agree.

And yes, FIFA badly wants the American market

Agree.

Every organization wants a percentage of the American market, from car companies to sports to refrigerators, cell phones, etc. It has to do with money. That's why I said FIFA could careless about gaining american viewership for the sake of popularity.

Thebesteva
11-03-2016, 12:53 PM
So I guess you're not going to watch Kovalev-Ward. You must be out of your mind!!! Of course I will...I forgot their names when I made that thread. But if Ward is winning that fight the odds of it being entertaining are not very high. Love Andre and Ive had the honor of sparring with him lightly once (lightly because he could ether me in seconds) but hes boring as fuck

Arcadian
11-03-2016, 12:55 PM
I'm sure training for it and participating in it is fun/rewarding. I'm talking about watching it. And as a combat sport, it's nowhere near boxing's level.

Idk man, I've talked to people who really love MMA (not being one myself), and they all describe it as infinitely complex. Joe Rogan described it as "high level problem solving with dire physical consequences."

I agree that grappling is boring if you don't know what you're watching (like anything). Knowledge influences perception. In psychology we call this "top-down processing."

webshad
11-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Of course I will...I forgot their names when I made that thread. But if Ward is winning that fight the odds of it being entertaining are not very high. Love Andre and Ive had the honor of sparring with him lightly once (lightly because he could ether me in seconds) but hes boring as fuck

HAHA, if not you would have been toothless.

Of course I will...I forgot their names when I made that thread. But if Ward is winning that fight the odds of it being entertaining are not very high. Love Andre and Ive had the honor of sparring with him lightly once (lightly because he could ether me in seconds) but hes boring as fuck

Not necessarily, you can never turn you head away when watching a big puncher like Kovalev.

BD24
11-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Clipper Nation
11-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Idk man, I've talked to people who really love MMA (not being one myself), and they all describe it as infinitely complex. Joe Rogan described it as "high level problem solving with dire physical consequences."

I agree that grappling is boring if you don't know what you're watching (like anything). Knowledge influences perception. In psychology we call this "top-down processing."
:lmao Sorry, but there's nothing complex about two men (or trannies) dry-humping each other and calling it a "sport." I don't care how the guy who used to host Fear Factor spins it.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Basketball is the most fun sport to play. Batting cages come close, but that's not a full game obviously.

When I see those Mexicans playing soccer, I just see a bunch of jogging around and chasing the ball like toddlers. No one even really gets to control possession for any significant amount of time. Kick ball, lose ball, chase ball, repeat. So fun.

Chris
11-03-2016, 01:05 PM
A smart dude once said, “Soccer is like a war where two countries are fighting each other, yet neither of them has enough ammunition to actually do any damage.” I think that’s the perfect description for it. :lol

So, let’s take some penalty kicks!

Man, what an atrocious idea.

It’s like deciding the NBA Finals with a free throw shooting contest, or ending an extra inning game in the World Series with a home run derby. It’s like a Mario Party mini-game.

Povertyball :lol

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:07 PM
It does in a different way. Like how France neutralized "mighty mighty" Ronaldo who was suppose to kill them in the world cup.

In boxing, how the opponent neutralizes your jab by standing slightly outside or coming over the top.

Every sports has their secret tactics that the normal eyes are not trained for.

You're still not getting it.

Pitcher neutralize hitters with tactics. Football is filled with tactics.

I'm talking about goals within the game that are like scoring (but you don't get any points for). Like first downs (keeps the drive alive). Interceptions. Basehits. Strikeouts. Saves. Corner kicks.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:11 PM

I'm talking about the entertainment value. No idea which combat sport is "deeper." I would bet a large sum it's boxing. You can't just jump into boxing as a 31 year old with little prior experience and become a world champion, like Brock Lesnar. I know Brock was a collegiate wrestler, but he was out of the game for like 10 years.

BD24
11-03-2016, 01:15 PM

This.

Honestly anyone who calls mma "simple" doesn't know what they are watching.MMA is incredibly complex.

webshad
11-03-2016, 01:24 PM
You're still not getting it.

Pitcher neutralize hitters with tactics. Football is filled with tactics.

I'm talking about goals within the game that are like scoring (but you don't get any points for). Like first downs (keeps the drive alive). Interceptions. Basehits. Strikeouts. Saves. Corner kicks.

I told you, yes, but in a different way. Shots on goal, pass completion, tackles, saves, free kick efficiency etc.

Every sports has stats.

We are comparing two different sports. It's a different strategy, different stats.

Like I said, I know baseball, and I know soccer, I have watched both and played both. Soccer is far superior. I can seriously play baseball and not have to take a shower and start doing my calculus homework, I can never do that after a soccer game. It's more active, much more active relative to baseball.

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Baseball is the most fun sport - American

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:39 PM
I told you, yes, but in a different way. Shots on goal, pass completion, tackles, saves, free kick efficiency etc.

Every sports as stats.

We are comparing two different sports. It's a different strategy, different stats.

Like I said, I know baseball, and I know soccer, I have watched both and played both. Soccer is far superior. I can seriously play baseball and not have to take a shower and start doing my calculus homework, I can never do that after a soccer game. It's more active, much more active relative to baseball.

Those aren't typically "exciting" events. A first down is exciting. A strikeout is exciting. A basehit is exciting. A corner or save is exciting. I can easily give baseball and basketball more goals within the game by citing strike percentage or dribbles. Slide tackles (unless in the box), passes and free kicks from distance are mundane events.

Running a marathon is more active than playing basketball, doesn't make it the superior activity.

Clipper Nation
11-03-2016, 01:40 PM

It's not the MOST fun sport. It's still MORE fun than floptrot, though.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:48 PM

Basketball is more fun.

Fun factor: Basketball>Baseball>Golf>Football>Hockey>Tennis>Volleyball>Bowling>Darts>Bocce Ball>Marbles>Horseshoes>Checkers>Shuffleboard>Lawn Darts>Cheese Rolling>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pokemon GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jogging Around With Mexicans At The Park.

They all take more athleticism to play than the last choice, as well :lol

Arcadian
11-03-2016, 01:49 PM
:lmao Sorry, but there's nothing complex about two men (or trannies) dry-humping each other and calling it a "sport." I don't care how the guy who used to host Fear Factor spins it.

Ever studied BJJ? It's widely regarded as the most effective form of self-defense known to man. It might be boring as fuck to watch for the uninitiated, but if you need to survive a physical confrontation, BJJ is the best way to do it.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 01:54 PM
It's not the MOST fun sport. It's still MORE fun than floptrot, though.

I love when baseball humbles ADD faggots. They're standing there at 3rd, not paying attention and probably daydreaming about playing Pokemon Go, and then the ball just fuckin' drills them right in the face. :lol

This is actually how soccer moms became a thing. Kids like that went crying to their mothers and begged to put them in soccer :lol

lefty
11-03-2016, 01:55 PM

Watchingpaintdryball

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Watchingpaintdryball

Canadian ratings.

You were watching. Don't have to lie to kick it, left.

Arcadian
11-03-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm talking about the entertainment value. No idea which combat sport is "deeper." I would bet a large sum it's boxing. You can't just jump into boxing as a 31 year old with little prior experience and become a world champion, like Brock Lesnar. I know Brock was a collegiate wrestler, but he was out of the game for like 10 years.

I guess my position is that entertainment value is highly subjective because it depends on your prior knowledge.

spursistan
11-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Basketball is more fun.

Fun factor: Basketball>Baseball>Golf>Football>Hockey>Tennis>Volleyball>Bowling>Darts>Bocce Ball>Marbles>Horseshoes>Checkers>Shuffleboard>Lawn Darts>Cheese Rolling>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pokemon GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jogging Around With Mexicans At The Park.

They all take more athleticism to play than the last choice, as well :lol

lol,no..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOoSX_YE0U

Power, athleticism, unpredictability of action, suspense etc.. (every match-up between contenders is basically a 3-2 affair with one break of serve being the difference in the end.) everything is on display...It is such an underrated sport, even in Europe..

webshad
11-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Those aren't typically "exciting" events. A first down is exciting. A strikeout is exciting. A basehit is exciting. A corner or save is exciting.

That's according to you. Not according to the other side.

Like I said, two different sports.

I play center field, I get so excited when there's a strikeout, right suuuure.

I told you, I literally had a sandwich while playing baseball after school when I was in highschool. LOL. Then joined the soccer team also, much more demanding of you. It is not comparable.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 02:05 PM
I guess my position is that entertainment value is highly subjective because it depends on your prior knowledge.

Of course. Baseball has that same prior knowledge dynamic. If you know pitching, it's exciting. If you don't, it's one guy just throwing hard.

Even if I learned the nuances of MMA, I'll always see its round structure as inferior to boxing.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 02:13 PM

I told you, I literally had a sandwich while playing baseball after school when I was in highschool. LOL. Then joined the soccer team also, much more demanding of you. It is not comparable.

For your baseball training, did you do something like this:

http://upl.stack.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Kluber-2-654x846.jpg

Did you build up arm strength with 20 minute weighted ball throwing drills?

Did you develop an Olympic lifting program, which is proven to be one of the best baseball workouts?

Did you follow up your games with 2 or 3 hours of batting and fielding practice?

If not, you probably weren't a good player. You'll say you were, since this is the Internet and people lie, but you went to soccer for a reason.

vma16
11-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Came here expecting people laughing at Bron Bron because the Indians lost every single game he attended... lol another team that blows a 3-1 lead

Instead people fighting which sport is better like fanboys... Some like soccer, some like baseball, some like both, there's room for everything! (unless it's gold,,F**k golf)

webshad
11-03-2016, 02:24 PM
For your baseball training, did you do something like this:

http://upl.stack.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Kluber-2-654x846.jpg

Did you build up arm strength with 20 minute weighted ball throwing drills?

Did you develop an Olympic lifting program, which is proven to be one of the best baseball workouts?

Did you follow up your games with 2 or 3 hours of batting and fielding practice?

If not, you probably weren't a good player. You'll say you were, since this is the Internet and people lie, but you went to soccer for a reason.

Nope, I didn't.

I was picked for the high school baseball team for 1 year, then changed to indoor/outdoor soccer team. Soccer was much tougher. Baseball was slow and full of gossip because most of us were waiting our turn to bat, haha.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Nope, I didn't.

I was picked for the high school baseball team for 1 year, then changed to indoor/outdoor soccer team. Soccer was much tougher. Baseball was slow and full of gossip because most of us were waiting our turn to bat, haha.

Not the first kid to switch to soccer from baseball after being humbled. :toast

Robz4000
11-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Nope, I didn't.

Your comments make me think you're talking out of your ass about playing baseball. You either weren't very good and sat on the bench all the time or you're bullshitting to make soccer look better.

lefty
11-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Canadian ratings.

You were watching. Don't have to lie to kick it, left.
Americanslivingintheustbhwtfkeyboardglitch

webshad
11-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Your comments make me think you're talking out of your ass about playing baseball. You either weren't very good and sat on the bench all the time or you're bullshitting to make soccer look better.

We all sat on our ass majority of the time, that's what baseball is.

Sit and gossip until it's your turn to bat.

I wasn't the best at baseball or soccer, which has nothing to do with the argument at hand.

I played baseball entire game without breaking a sweat, that' impossible in soccer.

webshad
11-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Not the first kid to switch to soccer from baseball after being humbled. :toast

Humbled by boredom, yes, I would agree. Little action, sit on your ass most of the time.

Soccer I had to remain active at all time.

Chris
11-03-2016, 03:47 PM
I love when baseball humbles ADD faggots. They're standing there at 3rd, not paying attention and probably daydreaming about playing Pokemon Go, and then the ball just fuckin' drills them right in the face. :lol

This is actually how soccer moms became a thing. Kids like that went crying to their mothers and begged to put them in soccer :lol

webshad
11-03-2016, 03:54 PM

Problem is, that very person wouldn't have an opportunity to daydream if he was playing soccer (unless playing goalie). So your joke is actually against baseball. :lol

I told you, I had a sandwich while playing baseball. Can't get worse than that. Even oh Henry was eating a chocolate bar while playing outfield, lol.

Thebesteva
11-03-2016, 04:23 PM
HAHA, if not you would have been toothless.

Not necessarily, you can never turn you head away when watching a big puncher like Kovalev.

I've trained with a lot of famous boxers and pro MMA fighters...even the average 3 wins 2 loss pro would easily decapitate me. These guys dedicate their life 5 times a week to this job. With the the fight between Ward and Kov Im just not sure which Ward comes out...he's been relatively inactive due to his injury and taken on easy fights. I saw him live a few times...dude is untouchable.

whitemamba
11-03-2016, 06:04 PM
It was one of the best games of all time, but there have been plenty of exciting games this postseason alone. Cubs/Giants Game 4 and Rangers/Blue Jays Game 3 come to mind.
Didn't watch the others tbh

Playoff baseball is like this every year. That's why people love the sport so much. Hopefully some of the baseball haters who watched tonight can understand what we've been saying all along: the tension that hangs on every at-bat, every pitch, and every ball put in play; the thrill of a clutch hit; the agony of a pitcher melting down - it all adds up to a great sport.
Everyone's got an opinion CN, but it's probably just the pace is what people don't like , at least for me. Playoffs are always more exciting than the RS games.

I'm a devoted follower of the top 3 sports leagues and a sometimes follower of the NHL. I used to follow boxing somewhat before all the dodging and controversy. I still follow the World Cup despite my general dislike of soccer (once they fix penalty shootouts, refereeing, and better deal with flopping faggots, I'll be more on board with the sport). I watch the Olympics, Golf, and Tennis.

If you're not a baseball fan to begin with, the sport can bring Jesus back from the dead, and it won't matter. You won't be thrilled with it as much as you would with great games in other sports.

I'm someone who basically likes all the North American sports about equally, and this was a top 5 game I've ever seen in ANY sport.

I'd rank them like this:

Boxing is back mid.

unleashbaynes
11-03-2016, 06:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oJzGHE0.webp

Baez/Russell got hops

JoeTait75
11-03-2016, 07:54 PM

I'd rank them like this:

Just with baseball it's tough to rank the greatest games. The first year I seriously watched postseason baseball was 1986 and in that postseason alone you had:

- Game 5 of the Red Sox-Angels ALCS (the Donnie Moore Game)

- The 16-inning Game 6 of the Mets-Astros NLCS

- Game 6 of the Mets-Red Sox World Series (the Buckner Game)

Three all-time classic games in one postseason. Then on to Game 7 of the 1991 WS, Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS (Braves-Pirates), Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS (Mariners-Yankees), Game 7 of the 1997 World Series (fuck), and on and on and on. Like I said, tough to rank them.

DMC
11-03-2016, 08:07 PM

Rolling a bike rim with a stick = fun

Brazil
11-03-2016, 09:00 PM
We needed another of this thread tbh... :lmao

webshad
11-03-2016, 09:34 PM
I've trained with a lot of famous boxers and pro MMA fighters...even the average 3 wins 2 loss pro would easily decapitate me. These guys dedicate their life 5 times a week to this job. With the the fight between Ward and Kov Im just not sure which Ward comes out...he's been relatively inactive due to his injury and taken on easy fights. I saw him live a few times...dude is untouchable.

Give me your unbiased opinion on how good in Ward? Also if you have inside information about him, how hard does he train or has he trained for this upcoming fight? Any valuable info?

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Problem is, that very person wouldn't have an opportunity to daydream if he was playing soccer (unless playing goalie). So your joke is actually against baseball. :lol

I told you, I had a sandwich while playing baseball. Can't get worse than that. Even oh Henry was eating a chocolate bar while playing outfield, lol.

Yes you can. Depending on where the ball is during play and who is controlling possession, you can be away from the action for stretches at a time. It doesn't mean you CAN or SHOULD daydream, but there's plenty of opportunity to do it.

Baseball you CAN'T daydream because you can't predict whether or not the ball will come to you. Again, I love when ADD kids get clocked. Warms my heart.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Humbled by boredom, yes, I would agree. Little action, sit on your ass most of the time.

Soccer I had to remain active at all time.

No. I guarantee you had more fun with soccer because you were immediately better at it since it's an easier sport. You probably constantly struck out and said, "fuck this. I'm going to a sport where I can at least jog around and feel like I'm contributing to the team." :lol

webshad
11-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Yes you can. Depending on where the ball is during play and who is controlling possession, you can be away from the action for stretches at a time. It doesn't mean you CAN or SHOULD daydream, but there's plenty of opportunity to do it.

Baseball you CAN'T daydream because you can't predict whether or not the ball will come to you. Again, I love when ADD kids get clocked. Warms my heart.

Yes you are absolutely right. I, however, couldn't be away from the action in baseball when I had my sandwich. So sorry. Baseball was amazing fast, my cardio couldn't keep up so I switched to indoor soccer during winter and stuck with it ever since.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Just with baseball it's tough to rank the greatest games. The first year I seriously watched postseason baseball was 1986 and in that postseason alone you had:

- Game 5 of the Red Sox-Angels ALCS (the Donnie Moore Game)

- The 16-inning Game 6 of the Mets-Astros NLCS

- Game 6 of the Mets-Red Sox World Series (the Buckner Game)

Three all-time classic games in one postseason. Then on to Game 7 of the 1991 WS, Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS (Braves-Pirates), Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS (Mariners-Yankees), Game 7 of the 1997 World Series (fuck), and on and on and on. Like I said, tough to rank them.

I was 6 at the time of the Buckner game and actually don't remember watching it. I remember watching game 7. But yeah, there's so many classic baseball games. Last night's hit a lot of "baseball myth" notes. The seemingly invincible Kluber and Miller finally cracking. A beloved Cub in his last game hitting a homerun, which would up being the deciding run. Puzzling decisions from a manager. Unheralded heroes. The rain delay coming right after the Cubs collective hearts got ripped out (which looked like a bad omen for the Cubs).

If Michael Martinez went yard, it would have been by far the best game in any sport ever. I kind of wanted to see him do it, but I also wanted to see history.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Yes you are absolutely right. I, however, couldn't be away from the action in baseball when I had my sandwich. So sorry. Baseball was amazing fast, my cardio couldn't keep up so I switched to indoor soccer during winter and stuck with it ever since.

Cardio doesn't equal challenging. I've said on here thousands of times that stamina is easy to train for. Even 110 year olds run marathon. If you were playing and training for baseball properly, you should've been "tired" every day.

But I know you gave up quickly because you probably couldn't hit the ball. Don't gotta lie, bro :lol It's a common thing for kids.

webshad
11-03-2016, 10:32 PM
No. I guarantee you had more fun with soccer because you were immediately better at it since it's an easier sport. You probably constantly struck out and said, "fuck this. I'm going to a sport where I can at least jog around and feel like I'm contributing to the team." :lol

Or perhaps was because I immediately had to be active and keep up, rather than eat my sandwich in centerfield. Damn I can't remember.

Baseball was too demanding, amazing cardio workout, but when I played soccer I started to gain weight, I weigh about 500 lbs due to soccer. Should have stuck with baseball and chewed tabacco for 3 hours. Such regret! Sorry I forgot to mention that.

If you ever open a store, I'll make sure not to trust your "guarantees". :lol

Kyle Orton
11-03-2016, 10:36 PM
webshad likes penis in his butt.

Silver&Black
11-03-2016, 10:38 PM
Are povertyball fans really saying that people don't stand around for long periods of time? Do you guys even watch povertyball?

If you guys are tying to imply that soccer players are running around constantly for 90 minutes....you're lying to the other posters ITT.

webshad
11-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Cardio doesn't equal challenging. I've said on here thousands of times that stamina is easy to train for. Even 110 year olds run marathon. If you were playing and training for baseball properly, you should've been "tired" every day.

But I know you gave up quickly because you probably couldn't hit the ball. Don't gotta lie, bro :lol It's a common thing for kids.

Right, that's why chess is the best sports. :lol No cardio yet very challenging.

If you were playing and training for baseball properly, you should've been "tired" every day.

Yes, take a shower after training for the sports, but not after playing the sports itself. Was very demanding of me, lol.

I played both sports, you admitted you didn't, so my opinion counts more. You can only speculate about soccer at this point. That's the truth.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Or perhaps was because I immediately had to be active and keep up, rather than eat my sandwich in centerfield. Damn I can't remember.

Baseball was too demanding, amazing cardio workout, but when I played soccer I started to gain weight, I weigh about 500 lbs due to soccer. Should have stuck with baseball and chewed tabacco for 3 hours. Such regret! Sorry I forgot to mention that.

If you ever open a store, I'll make sure not to trust your "guarantees". :lol

There's nothing hard about jogging around.

And you didn't eat a sandwich in centerfield. Coach would've benched you immediately.

Anyhow, what I love about baseball's gameplay is that you might only get about 4 to 10 chances per game at bat and in the field to contribute, and capitalizing on those chances is crucial. I love it when a kid has been waiting all game for the ball to come to him and the dumbshit drops it, costs his team the game, and the kid's in tears.

Baseball is a game that requires and teaches patience and perseverance. It is largely a game of failure interspersed with triumph, but that's what makes baseball great.

Most kids can't handle it, so they move onto shit like soccer where they can run around, kick the ball, and have "fun."

webshad
11-03-2016, 10:49 PM
There's nothing hard about jogging around.

And you didn't eat a sandwich in centerfield. Coach would've benched you immediately.

Anyhow, what I love about baseball's gameplay is that you might only get about 4 to 10 chances per game at bat and in the field to contribute, and capitalizing on those chances is crucial. I love it when a kid has been waiting all game for the ball to come to him and the dumbshit drops it, costs his team the game, and the kid's in tears.

Most kids can't handle it, so they move onto shit like soccer where they can run around, kick the ball, and have "fun."

That's good, you love it. Doesn't change anything for me.

I experimented both and I made my decision and didn't regret.

Yes most kid like me didn't like sitting on their ass for a total amount of 2 hours approximately.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Right, that's why chess is the best sports. :lol No cardio yet very challenging.

Yes, take a shower after training for the sports, but not after playing the sports itself. Was very demanding of me, lol.

I played both sports, you admitted you didn't, so my opinion counts more. You can only speculate about soccer at this point. That's the truth.

I played soccer. Just not at the level where I feel I can criticize its skill level demands. As far as its athletic demands, it wasn't hard at all. Jog around and chase and kick the ball.

I do think it is demanding skill level wise, but soccer's athletic demands don't impress me. Christian Pulisic is the hottest US soccer prospect in ages, already playing in a top 4 league in the world. And he's a 17 year, 5'8" 138 pound twink who would get athletically overwhelmed in basketball, football, and baseball.

DAF86
11-03-2016, 10:53 PM

Dude, shut the fuck up. Seriously. You don't know how ignorant you are being. It doesn't matter if the ball is a hundred miles away from you, in soccer you are constantly moving and with all your senses focused on the game. You thinking that just 'cause the ball isn't near you, you can be standing still just proves that you have never played organized soccer in your life.

I quoted you just to educate you about this, I don't care to get dragged in another of this endless back and forths with you, it's just not fun anymore. So please don't quote me with one of your walls of words, you have the other guys for that. God bless son.

webshad
11-03-2016, 10:57 PM
I played soccer. Just not at the level where I feel I can criticize its skill level demands. As far as it's athletic demands, it wasn't hard at all. Jog around and chase and kick the ball.

I do think it is demanding skill level wise, but soccer's athletic demands don't impress me. Christian Pulisic is the hottest US soccer prospect in ages, already playing in a top 4 league in the world. And he's a 17 year, 5'8" 138 pound twink who would get athletically overwhelmed in basketball, football, and baseball.

Different sports require different attributes. That's all I can say.

Excellent lecture about the two sports. The professor shows some of the hypocrisy of the american media and how soccer is slowly creeping into the american market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI5RmkupTEs

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Dude, shut the fuck up. Seriously. You don't know how ignorant you are being. It doesn't matter if the ball is a hundred miles away from you, in soccer you are constantly moving and with all your senses focused on the game. You thinking that just 'cause the ball isn't near you, you can be standing still just proves that you have never played organized soccer in your life. I quoted you just to educate you about this, I don't care to get dragged in another of this endless back and forths with you, it's just not fun anymore. So please don't quote me with one of your walls of words, you have the other guys for that. God bless son.

I tried explaining that to him and failed. He is thinking with a baseball mind too much.

That's exactly why in high school when I switched to soccer, it was a lot more fun and demanding of me.

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 11:01 PM
but chewing tobaco is more demanding :cry

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Dude, shut the fuck up. Seriously. You don't know how ignorant you are being. It doesn't matter if the ball is a hundred miles away from you, in soccer you are constantly moving and with all your senses focused on the game. You thinking that just 'cause the ball isn't near you, you can be standing still just proves that you have never played organized soccer in your life.

I quoted you just to educate you about this, I don't care to get dragged in another of this endless back and forths with you, it's just not fun anymore. So please don't quote me with one of your walls of words, you have the other guys for that. God bless son.

Did you miss the part where I said you SHOULDN'T daydream?

I simply told him there's OPPORTUNITY to daydream, which 100% true.

Same thing in baseball. If you aren't 100% focused, you might take a ball in the head that can actually kill you.

Look here. There's only 5 guys anywhere near the action. The players on defense are disengaged. A kid in this situation might daydream and pick daisies while waiting for the ball to get back in that half of the field.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/294pgdj.jpg

Quit being so sensitive about your twink filled, jogging game, son.

apalisoc_9
11-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Players on defense disenaged...:lol

Mid has no idea how fast the ball moves in soccer..

he think its like tobaco ball where the outfileder can just wait and stand for the whole inning :lmao

DAF86
11-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Are povertyball fans really saying that people don't stand around for long periods of time? Do you guys even watch povertyball?

If you guys are tying to imply that soccer players are running around constantly for 90 minutes....you're lying to the other posters ITT.

Another ignorant. Son, how are you? Good night.

I'm quoting you to tell you that no, you can't stand still in soccer for any significant period of time. Maybe for like 10 seconds every now and then when the ball goes out of bounds (and still there is rare to stand absolutely still) that's it. Then you are constantly jogging (90% of the time), sprinting (8% of the time), or at least walking (2% of the time) when you need to catch your breath.

I hope you take this as the truth that it is (from someome that has played organized soccer for most of his life) and don't just choose to live in negation. God bless son, and have a good night.

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:07 PM
but chewing tobaco is more demanding :cry

Stupid HBO and the media was criticizing Ricardo Mayorga for smoking a cigarette after the fight with Forest. :lmao #classic

But don't you DARE criticize a baseball player chewing tobacco.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Players on defense disenaged...:lol

Mid has no idea how fast the ball moves in soccer..

he think its like tobaco ball where the outfileder can just wait and stand for the whole inning :lmao

We're talking about the sport at youth levels.

Here's how youth level soccer works out most of the time.

- Team A is filled with faster and more athletic kids.

- They will dominate the upper 3rd of the field for nearly 100% of the game.

- Team B's offensive players get practically no touches and stand around in the lower half of the field disengaged.

- Since Team A is so good offensively, their defense has nothing to do and they stand or aimlessly jog around.

His claim was that kids have no OPPORTUNITY to daydream in soccer because they're constantly in the action, which is 100% false for anyone who has watched youth soccer in the US, which I assume he's from.

DAF86
11-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Did you miss the part where I said you SHOULDN'T daydream?

I simply told him there's OPPORTUNITY to daydream, which 100% true.

Same thing in baseball. If you aren't 100% focused, you might take a ball in the head that can actually kill you.

Look here. There's only 5 guys anywhere near the action. The players on defense are disengaged. A kid in this situation might daydream and pick daisies while waiting for the ball to get back in that half of the field.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/294pgdj.jpg

Quit being so sensitive about your twink filled, jogging game, son.

Defenders being "disengaged" :lmao

Dude, I already told you the reality. You can either accept the truth or choose to live on ignorance. Again, God bless.

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:11 PM
outfileder can just wait and stand for the whole inning :lmao

And he doesn't believe me that I had a snack once playing outfield.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Defenders being "disengaged" :lmao

Dude, I already told you the reality. You can either accept the truth or choose to live on ignorance. Again, God bless.

Kids get bored super easily. If the ball is nowhere near them, they start lollygagging.

Again, for the 1000th time, I am not talking about TwinkTrot at the pro levels.

webshad
11-03-2016, 11:16 PM
Kids get bored super easily. If the ball is nowhere near them, they start lollygagging.

Again, for the 1000th time, I am not talking about TwinkTrot at the pro levels.

Right, lets all talk about peewee soccer league now. :lmao

How a kid is picking his nose when playing defense.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:21 PM
Another ignorant. Son, how are you? Good night.

I'm quoting you to tell you that no, you can't stand still in soccer for any significant period of time. Maybe for like 10 seconds every now and then when the ball goes out of bounds (and still there is rare to stand absolutely still) that's it. Then you are constantly jogging (90% of the time), sprinting (8% of the time), or at least walking (2% of the time) when you need to catch your breath.

I hope you take this as the truth that it is (from someome that has played organized soccer for most of his life) and don't just choose to live in negation. God bless son, and have a good night.

You're still not understanding the argument. He said there's no time to daydream in soccer, which is bullshit. Of course at the pro levels or organized youth levels with good coaching, players won't daydream. But in your average youth level game on Saturday morning in the US, kids are fuckin' standing around when the ball isn't near them.

This is why protective parents put their kids in TwinkTrot. Little Jimmy can lollygag around, daydream, and not be at any risk. He daydreams in baseball, he could potentially get killed.

A 13-year-old Little League player died earlier this week when a baseball hit him in the chest while he was trying to bunt during a game, officials in Arizona said.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Right, lets all talk about peewee soccer league now. :lmao

How a kid is picking his nose when playing defense.

We were always talking about these sports at the youth levels.

I don't believe your anecdotes because no sane coach worth his weight would let you eat a sandwich while playing or let players "daydream" at the high school level where kids are using metal bats and can hit the ball at speeds over 100mph.

So you're lying or played in some small town highschool league with terrible players who never hit the ball.

DAF86
11-03-2016, 11:30 PM
You're still not understanding the argument. He said there's no time to daydream in soccer, which is bullshit. Of course at the pro levels or organized youth levels with good coaching, players won't daydream. But in your average youth level game on Saturday morning in the US, kids are fuckin' standing around when the ball isn't near them.

This is why protective parents put their kids in TwinkTrot. Little Jimmy can lollygag around, daydream, and not be at any risk. He daydreams in baseball, he could potentially get killed.

Dude, why are you quoting a post where I quoted another guy? You might have meant that about kids and what not. But this dude said this:

That's pretty straightfoward. Not a lot of chances to get the message mixed up, tbh.

DAF86
11-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Btw, I have played organized soccer since age 6. I have never thought about anything else but the game while playing.

Silver&Black
11-03-2016, 11:36 PM
I stand by my words. There are several times during a match where a striker or defender just isn't doing anything...the ball isn't always on his side of the pitch.

midnightpulp
11-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Dude, why are you quoting a post where I quoted another guy? You might have meant that about kids and what not. But this dude said this:

UOTE=Silver&Black;8778906]Are povertyball fans really saying that people don't stand around for long periods of time? Do you guys even watch povertyball?

That's pretty straightfoward. Not a lot of chances to get the message mixed up, tbh.

I think his point was that you guys try to sell soccer as a sport where they are in sprint or even jogging for the full 90 minutes. Players do stand around for short periods of time.

I don't even see the point of that vis a vis baseball. Yes, you stand around in baseball, but try not focusing 100% of your attention on the game in the field and see how far you go. You know the reaction time needed to catch a 115 mph missile coming at you from 70-100 feet away? This ball was hit so hard it went through the mitt.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/Eric-Hosmer-mitt-glove-Royals-070914.gif

DAF86
11-03-2016, 11:43 PM
I stand by my words. There are several times during a match where a striker or defender just isn't doing anything...the ball isn't always on his side of the pitch.

Well, then know that you are wrong.

lefty
11-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Well, then know that you are wrong.
This

Jodelo
11-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Why are we talking about Baseball on a Sports forum?

Silver&Black
11-04-2016, 01:43 PM
:lol All povertyball players are running around for 90 straight minutes

You guys are such fanboys that you're just making shit up.

DAF86
11-04-2016, 03:12 PM
:lol All povertyball players are running around for 90 straight minutes

You guys are such fanboys that you're just making shit up.

Dude, do you have reading comprehension problems or something? Since when "constantly moving"="running around"?

I know that the thought of a person being in constant movement for long periods of time, without commercial breaks every 2 minutes or junk adjusting timeouts after every single pitch, might seem like a difficult concept to buy for fat americans. But it's true sons. That feat is humanly possible, tbh.

Silver&Black
11-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Dude, do you have reading comprehension problems or something? Since when "constantly moving"="running around"?

I know that the thought of a person being in constant movement for long periods of time, without commercial breaks every 2 minutes or junk adjusting timeouts after every single pitch, might seem like a difficult concept to buy for fat americans. But it's true sons. That feat is humanly possible, tbh.

Son. Don't ever bring up baseball to me, son. It's just as fucking lame as povertyball, son.

You fanboys get so upset that Americans don't give two shits about boring ass povertyball...so you throw anything at the wall hoping it will stick. LOL @ the go-to "fat americans" line. You're on a website dedicated to an American basketball team. Us fat americans don't find the NBA to be boring as fuck....

Guess we all got it wrong with povertyball...........

jehawk81
11-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Why are we talking about Baseball on a Sports forum?

:wow

:rollin:rollin:rollin

DAF86
11-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Son. Don't ever bring up baseball to me, son. It's just as fucking lame as povertyball, son.

You fanboys get so upset that Americans don't give two shits about boring ass povertyball...so you throw anything at the wall hoping it will stick. LOL @ the go-to "fat americans" line. You're on a website dedicated to an American basketball team. Us fat americans don't find the NBA to be boring as fuck....

Guess we all got it wrong with povertyball...........

You can think soccer is boring, I'm not arguing about your likes and dislikes. I'm just educating you about your retarded ignorant missconceptions about the sport son, God bless.

Don't be an ignorant retard son, seriously. You don't know how much of a dumbass you are coming off on this shit. Take my word and stop embarrassing yourself. Again, God bless.

midnightpulp
11-05-2016, 02:29 AM

:lol Ice Hockey has way more movement per second than TwinkTrot.

DAF86
11-05-2016, 02:34 AM

Except ice hockey players get subbed every a couple of minutes.

midnightpulp
11-05-2016, 02:40 AM
Except ice hockey players get subbed every a couple of minutes.

So? You said we're not used to watching/playing sports with constant movement. We have two sports that are much faster than TwinkTrot in that regard: ice hockey and basketball.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/numbers-prove-hockey-has-the-most-action-per-game

Basketball does have less in game "action" but it's a faster game overall and more athletically impressive. Watching "men" with feminine bodies like Neymar and Pulisic trot around for 80-85 minutes isn't that impressive, so it's not like soccer's "constant movement" is anything special.

DAF86
11-05-2016, 02:50 AM
So? You said we're not used to watching/playing sports with constant movement. We have two sports that are much faster than TwinkTrot in that regard: ice hockey and basketball.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/numbers-prove-hockey-has-the-most-action-per-game

Basketball does have less in game "action" but it's a faster game overall and more athletically impressive. Watching "men" with feminine bodies like Neymar and Pulisic trot around for 80-85 minutes isn't that impressive, so it's not like soccer's "constant movement" is anything special.

I don't give a flying fuck about how "special" you think soccer is. I just feel the need to educate you when you say some retarded shit like "there are lots of times where soccer players aren't doing anything", tbh.

midnightpulp
11-05-2016, 02:59 AM
I don't give a flying fuck about how "special" you think soccer is. I just feel the need to educate you when you say some retarded shit like "there are lots of times where soccer players aren't doing anything", tbh.

I think he means "not doing anything" as in they're not really running or moving much and waiting, kind of like a baseball player, for the ball to come their way.

http://i.imgur.com/pX5z7x4.gif

The defenders aren't doing jackshit in this clip. Yes, I know they're "marking" their men, but it's not like they're constantly running around. A lot of standing/light walking in that clip. Wish we could see Barca's defense. Probably just standing.

That's the point I think he's trying to make. Again, you guys sell soccer as this high intensity 90 minute cardio workout that only superhuman twinks can handle. It isn't.

DAF86
11-05-2016, 03:08 AM
I think he means "not doing anything" as in they're not really running or moving much and waiting, kind of like a baseball player, for the ball to come their way.

The defenders aren't doing jackshit in this clip. Yes, I know they're "marking" their men, but it's not like they're constantly running around. A lot of standing/light walking in that clip. Wish we could see Barca's defense. Probably just standing.

That's the point I think he's trying to make. Again, you guys sell soccer as this high intensity 90 minute cardio workout that only superhuman twinks can handle. It isn't.

No son, barca defense isn't standing there. They are either marking the guys they have to mark, or they are moving forward to abilitate passing possibilities. Trust me son, soccer players are never still, never. If you had any remote clue about the sport you would know how retarded it is to believe such think.

Silver&Black
11-05-2016, 03:18 AM

Thanks for the clip and basically proving my point. I'm not saying that povertyball players don't run around for long periods of time. I've only been saying that they take breaks. Every single match has times where the action is nowhere near somebody. And that guy stands (or walks) around. The notion that they all jog/sprint around for 90 minutes is absurd.

Caltex2
11-05-2016, 11:51 PM
I've rehashed certain things in other threads but soccer would be much better if it was 5-on-5 or 7-on-7 + the goalies. No offsides would help but I guarantee you there'd be more goals and and shot-on-goal with fewer defenders on the field.

webshad
11-06-2016, 12:16 AM
I've rehashed certain things in other threads but soccer would be much better if it was 5-on-5 or 7-on-7 + the goalies. No offsides would help but I guarantee you there'd be more goals and and shot-on-goal with fewer defenders on the field.

That's indoor soccer.

Caltex2
11-06-2016, 12:29 AM
That's not the point. I'm saying the "real" "beautiful game" should be like that.

DMC
11-06-2016, 01:01 AM

Only because they are on ice. It's like saying curling is more athletic, since they are always moving.

Caltex2
11-06-2016, 02:31 AM
The conversation was about Americans not being used to games with constant movement. We have that with basketball and hockey regardless of whatever you're trying to downplay.

webshad
11-06-2016, 11:07 PM
That's not the point. I'm saying the "real" "beautiful game" should be like that.

I wouldn't recommend that, it will ruin the game. You need offside to make it difficult for the offense. And you need 10 players to make it tough to score.

If you want to watch offensive soccer 5 vs 5, just watch indoor soccer. Professional soccer is good at 10 vs 10 (plus goalies).

spurs10
11-07-2016, 12:32 AM
World Series was badass!

Caltex2
11-08-2016, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't recommend that, it will ruin the game. You need offside to make it difficult for the offense. And you need 10 players to make it tough to score.

If you want to watch offensive soccer 5 vs 5, just watch indoor soccer. Professional soccer is good at 10 vs 10 (plus goalies).

WHY would you want to make it difficult for the offense? :rolleyes

I guess that's just the way you lifelong soccer fans like it and that's fine. But that's exactly why us Americans can't stand the world's game, it's hardly about a short attention span. I could stand a scoreless tie if there were constant shots on goal, that's like a pitcher's duel in baseball with great defense.

It's already hard enough to score because you're kicking the ball around and when you add in so many defenders PLUS offsides if you do get a breakaway, then it bogs down the game and makes it boring. With 5-on-5 you could even keep offsides to stop poaching but there would be fewer players to contend with and more chances for excitement. And your endurance really would be tested because you'd no longer have 7-8 defenders to back you on the other side of the field.

But you've made it clear you like scoreless ties and 1-0 barnburners. :wakeup

midnightpulp
11-08-2016, 02:23 AM

I guess that's just the way you lifelong soccer fans like it and that's fine. But that's exactly why us Americans can't stand the world's game, it's hardly about a short attention span. I could stand a scoreless tie if there were constant shots on goal, that's like a pitcher's duel in baseball with great defense.

It's already hard enough to score because you're kicking the ball around and when you add in so many defenders PLUS offsides if you do get a breakaway, then it bogs down the game and makes it boring. With 5-on-5 you could even keep offsides to stop poaching but there would be fewer players to contend with and more chances for excitement. And your endurance really would be tested because you'd no longer have 7-8 defenders to back you on the other side of the field.

But you've made it clear you like scoreless ties and 1-0 barburners. :wakeup

For me, it's not even the low scoring that makes soccer uninteresting. Although, it is a big issue since any great sport should have an unpredictable comeback factor. Soccer has its legendary comebacks for sure, but when a team gets up two or three goals, it's basically over.

The game's biggest flaws for me are the shootouts, predictability (something like 50% of games end 1-0), fouls in the box being disproportionate, and the fact you can't take the lead from a deficit. The best moments in sports is the last second touchdown when down 6 points, the last second 3 down 2 points, the walk off 3 run homerun down 2 runs. Soccer can't produce something like that.

Okay sport. Don't hate it. Appreciate the skill involved, but there's better designed sports to spend my time on.

spurraider21
11-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Baseball is like golf except they sprint after the ball

DAF86
11-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the clip and basically proving my point. I'm not saying that povertyball players don't run around for long periods of time. I've only been saying that they take breaks. Every single match has times where the action is nowhere near somebody. And that guy stands (or walks) around. The notion that they all jog/sprint around for 90 minutes is absurd.

I have already adressed this issue. The only time a soccer player can be competely still is when the ball goes out of bounds (and even then, just some of the times, when someone is really tired. If not, you're still moving to gain position for when the ball gets in play). And yeah, soccer players walk (like 10% of the time) but that isn't standing still waiting for a ball to come to you, tbh.

DAF86
11-08-2016, 02:42 PM

And I have already explained you that these sports already exist and nobody gives a fuck about them.

midnightpulp
11-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Baseball is like golf except they sprint after the ball

And have to hit the ball moving toward them at 100mph.

Caltex2
11-08-2016, 08:00 PM
And I have already explained you that these sports already exist and nobody gives a fuck about them.

Who said you didn't? I still think the regulation version would be better with modified rules.

webshad
11-08-2016, 11:36 PM

But you've made it clear you like scoreless ties and 1-0 barnburners. :wakeup

The talent is just too good when it's 5-on-5. These superstars would just have to beat 1 or 2 defenders before facing the goalie. I will be very easy for them.

Picture prime Kobe full court 3-on-3, he simply has to beat a single defender and the rim is there.

Like DAF86 said, 5-5 indoor soccer already exists but it isn't popular. Scores in indoor soccer league can reach 13-10, 8-7, etc. But FIFA's talent is way too good for that.

Caltex2
11-09-2016, 12:55 AM
But on the other extreme, the talent isn't good enough to guarantee a score in a regulation game. The difference here is that the indoor game has a smaller field size whereas 5-on-5 or 7-on-7 on a regulation football pitch would have players covering more ground. In such a scenario, cardio fatigue would become a major issue as well, so maybe those stars wouldn't be as good if they had to sprint and handle more of the field over 90 minutes.

webshad
11-09-2016, 03:19 PM
But on the other extreme, the talent isn't good enough to guarantee a score in a regulation game. The difference here is that the indoor game has a smaller field size whereas 5-on-5 or 7-on-7 on a regulation football pitch would have players covering more ground. In such a scenario, cardio fatigue would become a major issue as well, so maybe those stars wouldn't be as good if they had to sprint and handle more of the field over 90 minutes.

No one would be able to play full field soccer 5-on-5 for 90 minutes lol

Even basketball player need substitution after 7 minutes.

Sports STAT has distance run per game

Soccer: 7 miles the least and 9.5 miles the most
Basketball: 3 miles (example Jimmy Butler 2.74 miles per game in 2016)
Baseball: 0.0375 miles lol

With that statistic, you want to play 5-on-5 or 7-on-7 on full soccer field, lol. Heck, I would love to see that experiment just for the entertainment. But realistically, it isn't possible.

Caltex2
11-09-2016, 06:46 PM
But, but, but soccer players are in such great shape. :blah Give them that challenge, make it to their own detriment if they jog or walk.

baseline bum
11-09-2016, 06:57 PM
God damn beisbol fans electing Trump

Caltex2
11-09-2016, 07:07 PM
NBA players run high speed all game, back and forth. They get breaks but so would soccer players for throw-ins, penalty kicks, corner kicks and breaks between goals. But ah that's it, soccer players generally never have to worry about that now because there's never more than three goals a game.

Like I said, test that cardio endurance.

midnightpulp
11-09-2016, 09:55 PM
God damn beisbol fans electing Trump

Foobaw fans, bro.

Illinois is a baseball state. California is a baseball state. And baseball is religion on the East Coast.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/wribn7.jpg

Foobaw country got that boy elected. Not to mention LeDontavious sitting on his ass in Detroit refusing to put down the 40 and vote.

In case that tweet is hard to read, Clinton garnered 129,000 fewer votes in heavily Democratic Detroit than Obama did four years ago — and lost the state by around 61,000 total votes.

webshad
11-09-2016, 10:31 PM
NBA players run high speed all game, back and forth. They get breaks but so would soccer players for throw-ins, penalty kicks, corner kicks and breaks between goals. But ah that's it, soccer players generally never have to worry about that now because there's never more than three goals a game.

Like I said, test that cardio endurance.

lol, dude you want people to drop dead like flies on the soccer field

they'll be cramping all over the field

regardless of what you say, i love basketball, but basketball rest is different than soccer rest as you state

anyways, that 5-on-5 on full soccer field just sounds hahahahaha ridiculous

let's make the NBA 1-on-1 full court as well, just for the heck of it

Caltex2
11-10-2016, 03:15 AM
lol, dude you want people to drop dead like flies on the soccer field

they'll be cramping all over the field

regardless of what you say, i love basketball, but basketball rest is different than soccer rest as you state

anyways, that 5-on-5 on full soccer field just sounds hahahahaha ridiculous

let's make the NBA 1-on-1 full court as well, just for the heck of it

Yeah, well if it were 1-on-1 you'd only have to keep up with one person and not have to rotate on defense. If you start getting tired, you can take your time, back someone down and keep him away from the ball. Also, dropping the amount of players on the field in soccer would raise scoring and drop it in basketball, so you should have said add 2-3 players per side in basketball.

I don't doubt what you're saying but we have heard about how great a shape soccer players are in from you guys. If so, a little extra running can't hurt. Maybe 6-on-6 or 7-on-7 would work but regardless if they're such world class athletes, they should keep up. Or you could allow unlimited subbing. Why soccer is so stringent on that, I don't know. Not allowing it seems to suggest they aren't great athletes because soccer players are rarely seen begging to get off the field from fatigue.