PDA

View Full Version : NBA: 2016 Dunk Contest The Best Of All-Time....

Spurtacular
11-03-2016, 12:02 AM
And it's not even close. And like the previous best dunk contest of all-time (Jordan vs. Nique), the wrong guy was awarded the victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7VgkfcSYz0

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2016, 12:06 AM
zl the most overrated kent

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2016, 12:34 AM
:lol Dad Killer and Wilkins was one of the worst dunk contests I've ever seen, tbh..

Spurtacular
11-03-2016, 02:32 AM
:lol Dad Killer and Wilkins was one of the worst dunk contests I've ever seen, tbh..

Dunno about that; but I forgot to mention that the 2016 dunk contest far surpassed that one.

spurraider21
11-03-2016, 05:32 AM
:lol today's dunk contests

SpursforSix
11-03-2016, 06:45 AM

Wtf. No way. You have to remember it was before everyone started adding props and bringing in other players. And it was still relatively new. At the time, it was awesome. I have no doubt that prime Nique would be able to anything the two leg jumpers do today.

ambchang
11-03-2016, 07:49 AM
The best dunker in these contest would be Vince Carter, and it's not really particularly close. The only problem is that he never had anybody remotely good enough to challenge him.

Nique and Jordan was purely because of the names. The dunks were impressive at the time, and they were most definitely used to build onto what we see today, but none of them were overly creative.

An underrated dunker was Harold Miner. He did those 360 windmills and refined what Kenny Walker did. Carter, and pretty much all the recent dunkers built on those dunks.

Howard was great as well, one of the most creative dunkers in the contest. He did things that really weren't duplicated since (sticker dunk, the alleyoop tap off glass dunk).

Captivus
11-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Gordon got robbed...
I really like Howard and Greens dunk contests as well.

SpursforSix
11-03-2016, 01:06 PM
The best dunker in these contest would be Vince Carter, and it's not really particularly close. The only problem is that he never had anybody remotely good enough to challenge him.

Nique and Jordan was purely because of the names. The dunks were impressive at the time, and they were most definitely used to build onto what we see today, but none of them were overly creative.

An underrated dunker was Harold Miner. He did those 360 windmills and refined what Kenny Walker did. Carter, and pretty much all the recent dunkers built on those dunks.

Howard was great as well, one of the most creative dunkers in the contest. He did things that really weren't duplicated since (sticker dunk, the alleyoop tap off glass dunk).

I agree with most of that. Miner was awesome and VC was dominant and would be my pick if you threw all these guys together.
But dismissing Wilkins is ridiculous. At the time, his dunks were creative. Taking the ball off the bounce and doing a two hand reverse. That was special back then. As time went on, the new guys had to come up with something different which led to where we are now. Wilkins was somewhat limited in that he always went off two feet. But his vertical had to near the top of the players at that time. I'm thinking you didn't watch bball at the time and are just comparing YouTube videos.

Chris
11-03-2016, 01:09 PM
I agree with SpursforSix: Wilkins was the best at the contest. Vince Carter is definitely the best 'in game' dunker of all time though imo

Obstructed_View
11-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Gordon got robbed...
I really like Howard and Greens dunk contests as well.

Iguodala got robbed.

ambchang
11-03-2016, 04:03 PM
I agree with most of that. Miner was awesome and VC was dominant and would be my pick if you threw all these guys together.
But dismissing Wilkins is ridiculous. At the time, his dunks were creative. Taking the ball off the bounce and doing a two hand reverse. That was special back then. As time went on, the new guys had to come up with something different which led to where we are now. Wilkins was somewhat limited in that he always went off two feet. But his vertical had to near the top of the players at that time. I'm thinking you didn't watch bball at the time and are just comparing YouTube videos.

The thing about Wilkins was that it was mostly windmill dunks, and he did a LOT of that. It was cool the first time you saw it, but after the fifth one, it just gets a little stale. Don't get me wrong, nobody does the windmills better than Wilkins, not even Carter, but it's the creativity that's the problem for me, especially later on in the dunk contests.

midnightpulp
11-04-2016, 11:17 PM
Vince Carter already solved dunking. Everything following him is just gimmicky shit with cars, capes, and muppets.

apalisoc_9
11-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Vince Carter already solved dunking. Everything following him is just gimmicky shit with cars, capes, and muppets.

Yeah Vince Carter had an amazing dunk from the free throw line between the legs..

midnightpulp
11-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Yeah Vince Carter had an amazing dunk from the free throw line between the legs..

:lol Lavine was like a foot into the lane on that dunk. Wasn't from the FT line.

midnightpulp
11-04-2016, 11:47 PM
More like 2 feet.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/14/10/313029C400000578-0-image-a-28_1455444569105.jpg

Apa still thinks "modern" athletes are the Avengers :lol

apalisoc_9
11-04-2016, 11:51 PM
More like 2 feet.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/14/10/313029C400000578-0-image-a-28_1455444569105.jpg

Apa still thinks "modern" athletes are the Avengers :lol

Imagine this dunk in 2000...People would have died watching Gordon and Lavine destory the 00...

midnightpulp
11-04-2016, 11:59 PM
Imagine this dunk in 2000...People would have died watching Gordon and Lavine destory the 00...

James White did it in 2006 and actually took off from the FT line.

apalisoc_9
11-05-2016, 12:03 AM
James White did it in 2006 and actually took off from the FT line.

James white never made it to the NBA dunk contest in his prime..But nice try bro.

midnightpulp
11-05-2016, 12:12 AM
James white never made it to the NBA dunk contest in his prime..But nice try bro.

Because he wasn't a good player in his athletic prime.

But his dunk in the college dunk contest was better than Lavine's. He actually took off from the freethrow line.

apalisoc_9
11-05-2016, 12:21 AM
Because he wasn't a good player in his athletic prime.

But his dunk in the college dunk contest was better than Lavine's. He actually took off from the freethrow line.

Thats just silly..

Gordon and Lavine are doing Dunks only Professional dunkers do..

Thats unheard off..

if youre seating there and thinking a player from 00 made dunks with the same degree of difficulty as Gordon and Lavine..You are smoking good crack.

midnightpulp
11-05-2016, 12:31 AM
Thats just silly..

Gordon and Lavine are doing Dunks only Professional dunkers do..

Thats unheard off..

if youre seating there and thinking a player from 00 made dunks with the same degree of difficulty as Gordon and Lavine..You are smoking good crack.

Yeah, so "silly" there's video of it :lol

http://i.imgur.com/FfSPgkf.jpg

And he was about a step over the line, unlike "Avenger" Lavine who needed two extra feet.

If you've been watching dunk contests for awhile, nothing is particularly revolutionary about last year, unless you really like muppets.

apalisoc_9
11-05-2016, 12:39 AM
Yeah, so "silly" there's video of it :lol

http://i.imgur.com/FfSPgkf.jpg

And he was about a step over the line, unlike "Avenger" Lavine who needed two extra feet.

If you've been watching dunk contests for awhile, nothing is particularly revolutionary about last year, unless you really like muppets.

I know it happened. The point is, that didint happen in the NBA dunk contest...and Point is, Gordons and Lavine Dunks have the higgest degree of difficulty in all dunk contest ever.

midnightpulp
11-05-2016, 12:48 AM
I know it happened. The point is, that didint happen in the NBA dunk contest...and Point is, Gordons and Lavine Dunks have the higgest degree of difficulty in all dunk contest ever.

Remove the muppet and Gordon's dunk isn't really special (look at Gordon's head relative to the rim. He didn't even get that high). Lavine's dunk is worse than the same dunk someone did 10 years ago.

So what if it didn't happen in the NBA dunk contest? It's not like dunkers routinely crack under pressure. Kobe won that crap as a 17 year old rookie.

apalisoc_9
11-05-2016, 12:58 AM
Remove the muppet and Gordon's dunk isn't really special (look at Gordon's head relative to the rim. He didn't even get that high). Lavine's dunk is worse than the same dunk someone did 10 years ago.

So what if it didn't happen in the NBA dunk contest? It's not like dunkers routinely crack under pressure. Kobe won that crap as a 17 year old rookie.

Are you high? The dude sat on air and your telling me some dude from 00 had a better dunk...

Take a breather bro...SunfloweBall debates is taking a toll on you.

midnightpulp
11-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Are you high? The dude sat on air and your telling me some dude from 00 had a better dunk...

Take a breather bro...SunfloweBall debates is taking a toll on you.

Sat on air :lmao

I think this was from 02 or 03. J-Rich's head is a few inches ABOVE the rim and his fuckin' knee is almost at the level of the bottom of the net. Athletically, this shits on Gordon. Gordon also has 3" on J Rich.

http://dsz7vodgjx60a.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/27161940/url-7.jpeg

You're too captivated by muppets. Probably due to all the Pokemon you play.

apalisoc_9
11-05-2016, 01:14 AM
Ah so dunking is now all about getting your eyes above the rim :lmao

That dunk would be a typical 43 in todays contest.

midnightpulp
11-05-2016, 01:24 AM
Ah so dunking is now all about getting your eyes above the rim :lmao

That dunk would be a typical 43 in todays contest.

Yeah. More athletic looking dunks will always score higher.

It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

43 in today's dunk contest :lol

People were bored as shit with the dunk contest for like a decade straight because of the heights Vince, J-Rich, and even Desmond Mason set. Guys like Chris Anderson, Dwight Howard (terrible dunker), Blake Griffin (great in game dunker, but terrible dunk contest dunker), and Rudy Fernandez were winners and contestants.

The muppet dunk was fun, but nothing revolutionary. Neither was Lavine's worse version of Flight's dunk.

TDMVPDPOY
11-05-2016, 01:59 AM
jr dunks most overrated hack, kept on doing all these under the foot shit, same with white all these stupid variations at the ft line